The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WOMEN IN THE IBHOF...with a poll!

+5
John Bloody Wayne
Rowley
compelling and rich
AlexHuckerby
oxring
9 posters

Go down

Should Women be allowed entry into the IBHOF

WOMEN IN THE IBHOF...with a poll! Vote_lcap23%WOMEN IN THE IBHOF...with a poll! Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 3 ]
WOMEN IN THE IBHOF...with a poll! Vote_lcap23%WOMEN IN THE IBHOF...with a poll! Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 3 ]
WOMEN IN THE IBHOF...with a poll! Vote_lcap15%WOMEN IN THE IBHOF...with a poll! Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 2 ]
WOMEN IN THE IBHOF...with a poll! Vote_lcap38%WOMEN IN THE IBHOF...with a poll! Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 13

WOMEN IN THE IBHOF...with a poll! Empty WOMEN IN THE IBHOF...with a poll!

Post by oxring Mon 27 Feb 2012, 2:04 am

In 2009, traditionally the second most prestigious hall of fame - the World Boxing Hall of Fame - made history when they admitted Lucia Rijker, the female boxer (17(14)-0), into their midst.

However - to my knowledge - the IBHOF have no female members - not even nonparticipants - so the likes of Kathy Duva has not been admitted - or, to my knowledge, even shortlisted.

It is a sweeping generalisation - but given Don Curry is not in - and taking into account his skill levels and his achievements - the female boxers that I have seen (whom, I must confess - are very few and far between) - would be hard pressed to lay a stronger claim.

Is this right/wrong? Should there be a separate section for women? Or should women still be able to make the Canastota Hall - if they meet the required standard?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

WOMEN IN THE IBHOF...with a poll! Empty Re: WOMEN IN THE IBHOF...with a poll!

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:58 am

For me its actually like a different sport. Should have there own section and not get mixed in with the men.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:03 am

You're up early mate?

Do you mean their own subsection to the Canastota hall - or should they not be involved in the Canastota hall at all - and they should have their own separate roll of honour?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:15 am

Yeah they should have there own section, but just from my point of view (and I am sure many will disagree with me) I see it as a different sport entirely. I think having there own section in the Canastota Hall is fine though.

You're awfully into Womens Boxing and the HOF recently.

And yeah run out of sleeping pills can't sleep!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:57 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:You're awfully into Womens Boxing and the HOF recently.

Looking for topics that haven't been debated in a while Alex.

Ref: womens boxing - really?

https://www.606v2.com/spa/oxring - Just the top 2 mate. You had me worried there! (the following paragraph explains why)

I once posted an RIP piece for Giselle Salandy - ranked the #1 female LMW of all time - who died, tragically, aged 21 in 2009. Boxrec used to have a newsfeed - they may still do - announcing recent deaths - and I noticed that she was quite young - so I wiki'd her - and wrote a piece based on the wiki. To use the quote from HBO's Rome: "I didn't know who she was, until she wasn't." I hadn't ever seen her box - so I saw 3mins of footage (in case someone asked me) before I wrote this piece: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A45863319

Look at some of the comments - its dangerous to express appreciation for women's boxing! It was an RIP piece FFS!

Ironically - I don't really like women's boxing. I don't like some of the fans - all too frequently the loutish, middle aged, overweight stereotype - holding a pint of lager and screaming "GAWWWWWWWN, 'IT 'ER AGEN"

I respect the cajones and the dedication of anyone to get to the top of the sport - but skillset for skillset - women's boxing is still far too far inferior to men's boxing for me to appreciate it.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:36 am

voted yes as long as they meet the standard, the problem being is whats the standard. doubt they would achieve a standard thats worthy of getting (imo) of any hall of fame.

certain female sports i struggle to watch because simply its a poorer standard than that of the men. its like watching go kart racing instead of f1. why watch the poorer standard when theres better standrads available. no problems with them in taking part in any sports, as long as they dont turn round start complaing about not getting fair share compared to the mens share.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Feb 2012, 10:35 pm

Oxy missed this one first time round, apologies, my initial thought was to be glib and say if Stallone is in what difference does it make, but it deserves better so shelve that. It is a tricky question, as a poncey Guardian reading liberal I obviously do not have any problem with the concept of women being in and think in the case of someone like Kathy Duva there seems a very valid case for her being nominated and voted in.

Where it gets trickier is with the fighters because it is not sexist to say the standard and talent pool in the womens game is pretty shallow as tends to be the case with new sports so acheivements that sound impressive such as being a multi weight champion or undefeated are perhaps not as impressive as they initially sound. Would guess currently for a woman to have a case as far as I can see they would need not only to have acheived a lot in the game but also moved the game forward in terms of acceptance or popularity, but am afraid I do not follow the game closely enough to know if anyone fits the bill, that said if Stallone is in........

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 29 Feb 2012, 12:04 am

Stallone and McGuigan are fated to be that lowest common denominator it seems - the perpetual "If he's in, why can't I be" figures.

We have had suggestions that women's boxing is a totally different sport (interesting) or that if they can meet the HoF standard - ie McGuigan then by all means (which I personally favour).

It is interesting to note how female MMA has caught on in a way that boxing hasn't. Gina Carano - who, I must confess, I have never seen moving about - is apparently rather good - and rather popular.

You'd never get female boxers on a PPV card.

One of the reasons I brought it up was that there are several female Chinese world champions - whilst there are no male chinese world champions in boxing at the moment. Maybe the Chinese will push women's boxing? Who knows.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:58 am

I read somewhere Laila Ali v Jakie Frazier was PPV, but that was more to do with Muhammad and Joe.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 01 Mar 2012, 12:52 pm

oxring wrote:

I have hazy memories of Christy Martin fighting on those mammoth Don King PPV cards in the 90's? Can anybody else remember with any clarity?

She might not have actually been on the section that people in the US paid for, but I am sure I remember her been higher up the bill than a Ricardo Lopez title fight! Of course, I did spend the vast majority of my time drunk in the 90's so I could be talking rubbish.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:01 pm

Tina think Arum had a spell of putting them on his as well, if memeory serves it was at the time he was also putting Butterbean on regularly, although this is all starting to sound like some horrific hallucination when I write it down.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:05 pm

rowley wrote:Tina think Arum had a spell of putting them on his as well, if memeory serves it was at the time he was also putting Butterbean on regularly, although this is all starting to sound like some horrific hallucination when I write it down.

Yep, I think you're right. Question for you, who would you rather watch fight, Christy Martin or Butterbean?

I am going to have to go with the big fella, as much as that pains me. I wouldn't say that to Christy's face though, she would kick my head in easily.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:08 pm

oxring wrote:Stallone and McGuigan are fated to be that lowest common denominator it seems - the perpetual "If he's in, why can't I be" figures.

We have had suggestions that women's boxing is a totally different sport (interesting) or that if they can meet the HoF standard - ie McGuigan then by all means (which I personally favour).

It is interesting to note how female MMA has caught on in a way that boxing hasn't. Gina Carano - who, I must confess, I have never seen moving about - is apparently rather good - and rather popular.

One of the reasons I brought it up was that there are several female Chinese world champions - whilst there are no male chinese world champions in boxing at the moment. Maybe the Chinese will push women's boxing? Who knows.

Gina Carano is seriously hot, worth watching MMA just for her! Would certainly take away B-hops usual anti-MMA arguments!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:29 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

Yep, I think you're right. Question for you, who would you rather watch fight, Christy Martin or Butterbean?

I am going to have to go with the big fella, as much as that pains me.

No question its the big guy for me. Really don't care for womens boxing, accept their right to do it but would be lying if I was to pretend I didn't find watching it distasteful.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:31 pm

Anyone see KOTV this week?

They featured a women's heavyweight fight.

Horrible to watch.

I'd rather watch monkey-tennis.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:31 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I read somewhere Laila Ali v Jakie Frazier was PPV, but that was more to do with Muhammad and Joe.
Do you reckon?

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:41 pm

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/kotv-boxing-weekly/4od

"Enjoy"
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:42 pm

Monkey tennis sounds amazing!!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 01 Mar 2012, 1:43 pm

compelling and rich wrote:Monkey tennis sounds amazing!!!

Good old Alan.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down