The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues squad and off-field updates.

+53
BIGFASE100
munkian
pharmachris
Notch
Artful_Dodger
2ndtimeround
Cari
Steffan
red_stag
glamorganalun
RC13
slartibartfast
HammerofThunor
maestegmafia
IanBru
justified sinner
Comfort
oxring
Casartelli
Stone Motif
manofgwent
Liam
Coleman
Morgannwg
21st Century Schizoid Man
profitius
thebluesmancometh
dogtooth
ScarletSpiderman
bedfordwelsh
Cymroglan
gowales
Shifty
Kingshu
DRAGONONPARADE
Looseheaded
GavinDragon
LordDowlais
Feckless Rogue
geoff998rugby
BridgendBoyo
Smirnoffpriest
Eclipse
pioden gorllewin
XR
Welshmushroom
doctornickolas
rodders
chewed_mintie
HERSH
Cardiff Dave
formerly known as Sam
wales606
57 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Cardiff Blues squad and off-field updates. - Page 14 Empty Cardiff Blues squad and off-field updates.

Post by wales606 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:07 am

First topic message reminder :

It appears that the following players will be leaving the Blues at the end of the season

DEPARTURE

Gavin Henson - Sacked

TRThomas - Despite being given the captaincy a few times this season, Thomas is due to leave - He is one of the players who has been excellent for us, is available all year round and we should be building a team around him. But he is off to Wasps.

Gethin Jenkins - 1 of our 4 world class players is off to Toulon

Casey Laulaula - The second centre to go, he is off to Munster, despite being available all year round.

Dan Parks is off to Connacht

Ritchie Rees is going to Edinburgh

Deniol Jones is retired

Martyn Williams is retiring

Mamma Molitika is retiring

John Yapp is leaving to go to Edinburgh

Ben Blair has apparently been offered a contract in France, at Lyon and is leaving

Jamie Roberts will miss a large part of next season through injury

Paul Tito is retiring

Ryan Tyrell is returning to Australia

Xavier Rush has retired as a player due to injury

Justin Burnell has left with immediate effect

Richard Mustoe rumoured retirement

ARRIVING AND STAYING

Xavier Rush has become the next defence coach

Jason Tovey is the only new signing of any significance announced so far, from the Dragons

Robin Copeland is confirmed from Rotherham RFC - some good reports, a replacement for Molitika

Lou Reed is signing though from the Scarlets

And Gavin Evans has signed a new 2 year contract extension...woop Shocked

Benoit Bourrust a THP from Perpignan is arriving

Fijian LHP prop Campese Ma'afu has signed from Australian side West Harbour Pirates

Hooker Andi Kyriacou is being targeted from Ulster - confirmed

Ceri Sweeney is staying with the Blues with a contract extension

Fau Filise has signed a contract extension (Probably 1 year)

A new Director of Rugby Phil Davies has joined.

Alex Cuthbert has signed a 1 year extension

Rob Lewis confirmed coming at SH from London Welsh

Deniol Jones is now team manager

Lee Jarvis has been appointed skills coach

Squad for next season

Props
Sam Hobbs
Ma'afu Campese
Benoit Bourrust
Scott Andrews
Fau Filise
Ryan Hartford
Nathan Trevett
Thomas Davies

Hookers
Andy Kyricau
Kristian Dacey
Mark Breeze
Rhys Williams

Locks
Bradley Davies
Lou Reed
James Down
Cory Hill
McCauley Cook
Matthew Screech

Backrow
Michael Paterson
Robin Copeland
Sam Warburton
Josh Navidi
Andreus Pretorious
Ellis Jenkins
Thomas Young
Luke Hamilton

Scrum Halfs
Lloyd Williams
Rob Lewis
Lewis Jones

Fly Halfs
Jason Tovey
Ceri Sweeney
Rhys Patchell

Centres
Jamie Roberts
Daffydd Hewitt
Gavin Evans
Cory Allen
Owen Williams

Back 3
Alex Cuthbert
Tom James
Leigh Halfpenny
Dan Fish
Chris Czekaj
Harry Robinson

Last edited by wales606 on Wed 25 Jul 2012, 1:18 pm; edited 32 times in total
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues squad and off-field updates. - Page 14 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues squad and off-field updates.

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 24 May 2012, 1:14 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:

Apologies - I just took the queues to mean that they didn't have telephone system in place or that there weren't many ticket office staff as I thought most people would renew over the phone. But as you say at the start of the season/off season there'll be a lot of 'faffing' around, i didn't think of that.

No worries.
As the seating wasn't allocated last season it's not a simple renewal and those wishing to bag specific seats are those that are queueing up and as you say are "faffing around".
This won't apply to those who aren't fussy and just want terrace tickets.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues squad and off-field updates. - Page 14 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues squad and off-field updates.

Post by wales606 Thu 24 May 2012, 1:27 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
wales606 wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:I was thinking the same thing comfort, what would be our options at TH, Filise and who?

Well for starters the man who played THP in almost every game this year - Andrews

and hopefully new signing Bourrust.

This SA will be interesting, not really sure how they are paying for it - they must have some sort of deal going on.

Uncle Pete's cash up front no doubt and there must be some kind of deal involved. In general touring sides don't go on tour for nothing.
You never know they may bring a SA prop back with them.

I doubt they will be blowing money on a tour (not even PTs money), they must be getting more out of it than it cost (ticket receipts for the extra preseason games - SA tour, worcester and bath seems like a long list of friendlies, and those are just the ones so far)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 24 May 2012, 1:33 pm

wales606 wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
wales606 wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:I was thinking the same thing comfort, what would be our options at TH, Filise and who?

Well for starters the man who played THP in almost every game this year - Andrews

and hopefully new signing Bourrust.

This SA will be interesting, not really sure how they are paying for it - they must have some sort of deal going on.

Uncle Pete's cash up front no doubt and there must be some kind of deal involved. In general touring sides don't go on tour for nothing.
You never know they may bring a SA prop back with them.

I doubt they will be blowing money on a tour (not even PTs money), they must be getting more out of it than it cost (ticket receipts for the extra preseason games - SA tour, worcester and bath seems like a long list of friendlies, and those are just the ones so far)

What I meant was, they will get something back in return.
I think we're playing Gloucester as well aren't we at Kingsholm?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 24 May 2012, 5:08 pm

Davies and Holland want to take next seasons LV cup games to Sardis road to better embrace the regional fans.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/05/24/cardiff-blues-plan-to-play-matches-at-sardis-road-in-bid-to-embrace-region-91466-31039967/
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 24 May 2012, 5:21 pm

Interesting - could be a good start as long as it's backed up. It's incredible the amount of positive news coming out of the Blues compared to a few months ago!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 24 May 2012, 6:47 pm

wales606 wrote:Davies and Holland want to take next seasons LV cup games to Sardis road to better embrace the regional fans.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/05/24/cardiff-blues-plan-to-play-matches-at-sardis-road-in-bid-to-embrace-region-91466-31039967/

Steffan and Jimmy Moz will be over the moon about this.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 24 May 2012, 8:40 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
wales606 wrote:Davies and Holland want to take next seasons LV cup games to Sardis road to better embrace the regional fans.

Laugh laughing laughing laughing

Here is a comment from a supporter of VR, in response to this:
"that's the best laugh I've had all day!
Embrace the region indeed! Do they have concerns for a Valleys region? Or concerns of about themselves?
Why would I associate myself with a club that had 2500 season ticket holders that could not be bothered to say a fold farewell to a long term servant and one of the best 7's to play the game of rugby? Besides the service Gethin and others gave them.
A region should be about identity, a team that represents who you are. A city team does not represent valleys ethos, certainly not what makes me proud of my Valleys heritage anyway.

Good luck to the Blues, I honestly mean that. They have some quality players that I admire, but will admire from the TV I'm afraid. My investment of an entry ticket will be saved for local rugby and local talent. Hopefully that may be first class rugby in the not too distant future."

So guys, what do we think?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 24 May 2012, 8:57 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Laugh laughing laughing laughing

Here is a comment from a supporter of VR, in response to this:
"that's the best laugh I've had all day!
Embrace the region indeed! Do they have concerns for a Valleys region? Or concerns of about themselves?
Why would I associate myself with a club that had 2500 season ticket holders that could not be bothered to say a fold farewell to a long term servant and one of the best 7's to play the game of rugby? Besides the service Gethin and others gave them.
A region should be about identity, a team that represents who you are. A city team does not represent valleys ethos, certainly not what makes me proud of my Valleys heritage anyway.

Good luck to the Blues, I honestly mean that. They have some quality players that I admire, but will admire from the TV I'm afraid. My investment of an entry ticket will be saved for local rugby and local talent. Hopefully that may be first class rugby in the not too distant future."

So guys, what do we think?

That's nothing. Check this out,
http://www.ponty.net/terracetalk

This is fun too especially the Ponty fans wearing "I will never be a Blue" T shirts towards the end of the clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCJf_sC3uiE

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 24 May 2012, 9:21 pm

A fair bit of hatred. It could be a step in the right direction. Who's to say Blues won't change their name and play Heineken Cup games at Sardis in the near future?

I await the comments of an Australian bar not representing the Welsh based in Cardiff.... Those were good laughing. I think it was on the Valleys Rugby thread though.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 24 May 2012, 10:13 pm

It gets better and i'm glad some Ponty supporters are letting rip;

"Richard Holland and Peter Thomas obviously didn't here the vast majority of the supporters chanting 'I will never be a Blue' when they were at our match last week then! I agree with Showboat above, Ponty rugby and the board need to tred very carefully here. All this will do is annoy and alienate Pontypridd supporters and for what reason? To keep the Blues happy by playing a few meaningless matches at the House of Pain."

http://www.ponty.net/terracetalk

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 24 May 2012, 10:34 pm

As iv explained before...not a Pontypridd supporter more just in favour of a Valleys region or a real regions so not gonna buy into any hate but how exactly would a team called Cardiff work playing in a town that is not in Cardiff or even in the same county as Cardiff Headscratch

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 25 May 2012, 8:14 am

Morgannwg wrote:A fair bit of hatred. It could be a step in the right direction. Who's to say Blues won't change their name and play Heineken Cup games at Sardis in the near future?
I doubt that will happen very much. They will keep their beloved 'traditional name that sports so much history bla bla' and just hope the humble Valleys folk will turn up like good little boys and chant 'Cardiffffff Cardiffffffff'

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 25 May 2012, 9:17 am

The best part about the ponty fans going mental on their forum is that some are saying "let's turn up with our ponty shirts and chant for the opposition, that'll show them!".

After paying to get in to the ground to watch the match and putting money behind the bar (as the blues would take a cut of both.) they could chant whatever they want. The blues would make back the money back 'given' to use the ground of that alone. thumbsup

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 25 May 2012, 11:28 am

Blues should just try and miss out Ponty all together, Ponty don't want it and I don't think the Blues fans in Cardiff want it. I'm best of both worlds in that I grew up in Merthyr and now live in Cardiff. I was always a Blues fan and didn't really buy into the CARDIFF thing as to me they were always the Blues who played in Cardiff, which I preferred as CAP was a great rugby ground and Cardiff being one of the best cities for a day out.

Ponty don't want it so just ignore them, let them fight for a 'Valleys' side which would just be a Ponty super club, and they know that is the case and clearly don't understand that everything they have hated about the Blues they would become. They would be up in arms if a few games got moved to Merthyr or anywhere else other than Sardis Road, end of.

Blues are better tapping into the mid-Wales region. I've been to the Royal Wlesh in Builth Wells a few times and they always have a training session up there for people to join in. If they do more work like that and around the Valley's areas 9Other than Ponty) it would be far more beneficial than wasting time on Ponty who absolutely have no intention of ever supporting the Blues.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 25 May 2012, 11:30 am

Any of you seen tighthead Will-Griff John play? I was just looking at the Wales U20 squad and saw that he is 6'3 and 120kg! Could we see him get some game time for the Blues next year?

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 25 May 2012, 12:01 pm

Matthew Rees is staying put

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/05/25/matthew-rees-this-welsh-pack-is-the-greatest-i-have-ever-played-with-91466-31040432/
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 25 May 2012, 12:03 pm

Yesterday chief executive of the Cardiff Blues, Richard Holland said the long-term vision for developing the Arms Park site, if realised, would be a major boost, not just for rugby, but the city in general.

He said: “There is an offer on the table from the WRU to acquire the ground from the Athletic Club. If agreed there is a fantastic long-term vision to develop the site, with rugby at its very heart.

“We are keen for discussions between ourselves, the WRU and the Athletic Club, to be concluded, so we can take forward these exciting plans.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/05/25/cardiff-arms-park-redevelopment-to-be-considered-by-wru-91466-31041556/#ixzz1vsW72rrf
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 25 May 2012, 12:04 pm

Agree with gcBlues and Martyr. Ponty fans turning up support Cardiffs opponents would be silly. Just stay away and is best. Also agree Cardiff would be better off trying to tap in to another area as Ponty would just be a waste of time. Good luck to Cardiff though for next season. I dont hate them as much as other people do...like most of the Valleys I just want nothing to do with them OK

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 25 May 2012, 3:43 pm

What I would also like to add is Merthyr Youth are playing this weekend in a match to decide the best youth team in Wales.

Number of Merthyr players in the Blues academy: 0

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 25 May 2012, 4:02 pm

martyr_94 wrote:What I would also like to add is Merthyr Youth are playing this weekend in a match to decide the best youth team in Wales.

Maybe they aren't good enough yet for the academy. Do any of them feature for the senior side?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 25 May 2012, 4:06 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
martyr_94 wrote:What I would also like to add is Merthyr Youth are playing this weekend in a match to decide the best youth team in Wales.

Maybe they aren't good enough yet for the academy. Do any of them feature for the senior side?

Yeh quite a few of the backs actually, and I think maybe a few of the forwards also. I'm not saying that they all should be in the Blues side, but from what I hear the Blues academy isn't the greatest atm. Perhaps just my Merthyr bias coming out, always nice to see the Youth side doing well and getting some senior games also.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 25 May 2012, 4:06 pm

Standout individuals are the ones that get the nod, not standout teams. I played for a team in Newport that were Gwent Champions 4 years in a row (2002-06) and we had only two players in the Dragons academy. Previously it was (04) 4 but 2 were dropped for being 'too small'.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 25 May 2012, 4:18 pm

martyr_94 wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Yeh quite a few of the backs actually, and I think maybe a few of the forwards also. I'm not saying that they all should be in the Blues side, but from what I hear the Blues academy isn't the greatest atm. Perhaps just my Merthyr bias coming out, always nice to see the Youth side doing well and getting some senior games also.

I would say the academy is in a state of flux at the moment (like everything else at Cardiff Blues) and i've no idea who is or who isn't in it. Their website doesn't help either as it's out of date, shock horror. Who knows, next season we may see a few Merthyr boys in there. Just to add, have any of the other regions/clubs shown interest?

http://www.cardiffblues.com/development/academy_squad.php

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Fri 25 May 2012, 4:22 pm

gowales wrote:Any of you seen tighthead Will-Griff John play? I was just looking at the Wales U20 squad and saw that he is 6'3 and 120kg! Could we see him get some game time for the Blues next year?

Good player.

A Rhondda product who was playing for Pontypridd.

So the Blues management took him out of there and placed him with ..... Cardiff rfc.

A superb example of regional rugby / politics at work.

He is in the Blues academy so what pray tell is the point of taking him from one feeder club to another.

Is it to try and 'prop' up a poorer team in the region. Or something darker.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 25 May 2012, 4:33 pm

doctornickolas wrote:
gowales wrote:Any of you seen tighthead Will-Griff John play? I was just looking at the Wales U20 squad and saw that he is 6'3 and 120kg! Could we see him get some game time for the Blues next year?

Good player.

So the Blues management took him out of there and placed him with ..... Cardiff rfc.

He is in the Blues academy so what pray tell is the point of taking him from one feeder club to another.

All the Blues academy players play for CRFC. Unless they specifically want to stay with Ponty (like Dacey)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 25 May 2012, 4:50 pm

doctornickolas wrote:

Good player.

To have as many of the academy players under one roof.
Also, Cardiff have little chance of competing in the WP as the squad is mainly all youngsters with hardly any battle-hardened seasoned pros. Unlike Ponty.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 25 May 2012, 7:36 pm

Adrian Hadley, a member of the Valleys Rugby advisory board said: “It would appear that the recent announcement from the Blues to take matches to Sardis Road is a knee-jerk reaction following months of campaigning from Valleys Rugby to bring back professional rugby to the Valleys region.

“This announcement is nine years too late and is only coming on the back of our campaign. The fact that they are suggesting that only LV games will be played at the ground proves that it is only a token gesture.

“Our pilot proposal to bring professional rugby back to the Valleys has clearly highlighted that the Blues is not doing anything to engage the Valleys supporters with its region. However the fact is that it is unlikely Valleys rugby supporters will ever truly embrace a Cardiff team. It is our vision to create a ‘People’s Region’ where community ownership and engagement is key to its vision.

“The Welsh valleys, the heartland fanbase of the game, are disconnected with the current regional structure and we can’t see how playing a few token games at Sardis Road is going to change that.”

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 25 May 2012, 9:59 pm

Steffan wrote:Adrian Hadley, a member of the Valleys Rugby advisory board said: “It would appear that the recent announcement from the Blues to take matches to Sardis Road is a knee-jerk reaction following months of campaigning from Valleys Rugby to bring back professional rugby to the Valleys region.

“This announcement is nine years too late and is only coming on the back of our campaign. The fact that they are suggesting that only LV games will be played at the ground proves that it is only a token gesture.

“Our pilot proposal to bring professional rugby back to the Valleys has clearly highlighted that the Blues is not doing anything to engage the Valleys supporters with its region. However the fact is that it is unlikely Valleys rugby supporters will ever truly embrace a Cardiff team. It is our vision to create a ‘People’s Region’ where community ownership and engagement is key to its vision.

“The Welsh valleys, the heartland fanbase of the game, are disconnected with the current regional structure and we can’t see how playing a few token games at Sardis Road is going to change that.”

More fuel for the fire.
Love it!!!!!!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 25 May 2012, 10:06 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:More fuel for the fire. Love it!!!!!!
Me too Very Happy

Lets see what the horrible Piemans response to that is

It does seem a big coincidence doesnt it that the Valleys petition for their own region and everyone says its just pipe dream (which it still could be) but then all of a sudden the arch-Ponty hater Peter Thomas is at Sardis Road and then suddenly there is all talk of a few token games there

Good fun to watch aint it Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 25 May 2012, 10:31 pm

Steffan wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:More fuel for the fire. Love it!!!!!!
Me too Very Happy

Lets see what the horrible Piemans response to that is

It does seem a big coincidence doesnt it that the Valleys petition for their own region and everyone says its just pipe dream (which it still could be) but then all of a sudden the arch-Ponty hater Peter Thomas is at Sardis Road and then suddenly there is all talk of a few token games there

Good fun to watch aint it Laugh

Shocking isn't it and the games suggested that would be played at Sardis will be of the LV type which Cardiff Blues don't give a monkeys about.
You're right it is a coincidence. Or is it?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 25 May 2012, 10:40 pm

The rumour about a move to Sardis for the LV games has been around since before Christmas.

Sorry to disappoint.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 25 May 2012, 10:57 pm

wales606 wrote:The rumour about a move to Sardis for the LV games has been around since before Christmas.

Sorry to disappoint.

Rumours, balloomers.
Did Cardiff's chief exec mention playing games at Sardis at xmas time last year?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Fri 25 May 2012, 11:15 pm

I am not sure why Cardiff would want to embrace Ponty and Ponty certainly don't want to embrace Cardiff.

Cardiff wanted stand alone status, they got it, they have made a right dogs breakfast of it. They are in £m's of debt and offloading every decent player they have and replacing them with cannon fodder.

Ponty get bigger crowds than Cardiff Blues have been getting for a semi pro league.

Leave Cardiff play with themselves, the 2 clubs will never be on the same side. It's way too late for that. You have more chance of getting Arab's and Israelis together.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 25 May 2012, 11:39 pm

doctornickolas wrote:I am not sure why Cardiff would want to embrace Ponty and Ponty certainly don't want to embrace Cardiff.

Neither wanted to merge when the flawed regional conceptual thingy was suggested back in 2003 and they still didn't when "it" actually happened. When the Celtic Warriors folded in 2004 it was an enormous joke that all of a sudden Ponty was thrown in Cardiff's lap. Hahah we all said, but the wonderful WRU said we should deal with it and accept Ponty into the imaginary regional fold somehow, someway. Peter Thomas tried and he annoyed 1000s of supporters on both sides of the equation in doing so. Now we are where we are.
Same ****, different day and i'm mightily bored of it all.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 26 May 2012, 12:04 am

Cardiff Dave wrote:
wales606 wrote:The rumour about a move to Sardis for the LV games has been around since before Christmas.

Sorry to disappoint.

Rumours, balloomers.
Did Cardiff's chief exec mention playing games at Sardis at xmas time last year?

Ummm, yes
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 26 May 2012, 12:04 am

wales606 wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Sorry to disappoint.

Rumours, balloomers.

Ummm, yes

Might have been February actually, after/just before the CAP games,
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 26 May 2012, 12:09 am

wales606 wrote:
wales606 wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Sorry to disappoint.

Rumours, balloomers.

Ummm, yes

Might have been February actually, after/just before the CAP games,

Yeah. It was take a look at yourself Holland talking nons.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 26 May 2012, 9:04 pm

considering I talked about it earlier, Merthyr Youth won the champions of champions today to become the best youth side in Wales, well played boys clap

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 26 May 2012, 10:15 pm

martyr_94 wrote:considering I talked about it earlier, Merthyr Youth won the champions of champions today to become the best youth side in Wales, well played boys clap

Congrats Merthyr. Hope some get academy contracts if they're good enough of course.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 28 May 2012, 9:10 pm

Phil Davies on Scrum V last said that this was it when it comes to player signing (well, along those lines)

Not sure about where that leaves Reed and Bourrust, perhaps they have signed, but havent been officially announced? (I though Reed was pretty much deal done a few months ago)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 29 May 2012, 11:35 am

wales606 wrote:Phil Davies on Scrum V last said that this was it when it comes to player signing (well, along those lines)

Not sure about where that leaves Reed and Bourrust, perhaps they have signed, but havent been officially announced? (I though Reed was pretty much deal done a few months ago)

Remember that Filise was listed as one of the 12 players definitely leaving after the Edinburgh game yet they went and extended his contract, so who knows.
Any news on Jake Cooper-Woolley, the Cardiff Uni captain and THP? And Rob Lewis, the London Welsh scrum half?

Last edited by Cardiff Dave on Tue 29 May 2012, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : And Rob Lewis, the London Welsh scrum half?)

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 29 May 2012, 12:03 pm

Dave - how optimistic/pessimistic are you feeling about the team and next season - has it improved since a few months ago?

(am just asking as I'm interested in how some of the Blues fans view things in comparison to my outside perspective - From my viewpoint it seems a lot more positive and the new frontrow could do quite well and give a decent platform for the dangerous backs/backrow forwards.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 29 May 2012, 12:15 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
wales606 wrote:Phil Davies on Scrum V last said that this was it when it comes to player signing (well, along those lines)

Remember that Filise was listed as one of the 12 players definitely leaving after the Edinburgh game yet they went and extended his contract, so who knows.
Any news on Jake Cooper-Woolley, the Cardiff Uni captain and THP? And Rob Lewis, the London Welsh scrum half?

Nope, there must be a SH coming - otherwise they are really going to be relying on Lewis Jones and Rhys Downes (and if one get injured then we will only have 1 SH in the entire academy when L.Williams is away)

I imagine Cooper-Woolley is looking at an academy contract (it will be interesting to see what Willgriff John can do if he can step up from the academy)

Reed must be coming, otherwise I will be very confused.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 29 May 2012, 12:17 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Dave - how optimistic/pessimistic are you feeling about the team and next season - has it improved since a few months ago?

(am just asking as I'm interested in how some of the Blues fans view things in comparison to my outside perspective - From my viewpoint it seems a lot more positive and the new frontrow could do quite well and give a decent platform for the dangerous backs/backrow forwards.

The front row won't be that great if we still have Filise and Andrews proping down at TH. If Bourrust signs, I will be optimistic.

Still desperately need an outside centre, but we aren't going to get one (really going to miss Laulaula)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 29 May 2012, 12:21 pm

wales606 wrote: If Bourrust signs, I will be optimistic.
Is it wrong I feel exactly the same way? He is only one player and an unknown at that to be fair, but tight head is such a mercurial position! I think the fact that he has experience in the Top 14 has a lot to do with it, also his physical stats suggest he’s going to be tough to shift. But then again, he might be awful and he might not even be coming.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 29 May 2012, 12:26 pm

Coleman wrote:
wales606 wrote: If Bourrust signs, I will be optimistic.
Is it wrong I feel exactly the same way? He is only one player and an unknown at that to be fair, but tight head is such a mercurial position! I think the fact that he has experience in the Top 14 has a lot to do with it, also his physical stats suggest he’s going to be tough to shift. But then again, he might be awful and he might not even be coming.

True, but depth in the front row is essential and any French THP who has played for Perp in top14 games must be a good scrummager (they do have one of the best scrums in the league)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 29 May 2012, 12:37 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Dave - how optimistic/pessimistic are you feeling about the team and next season - has it improved since a few months ago?

Haven't really thought about it and things have been changing so fast recently my head is still in a whirl.
The main issue for me over the last 2 years or more has been CCS, getting out of there and back to CAP to enable a secure and financially sustainable future. Hopefully now we are well on our way to achieving that goal. It could never have happened at CCS.
Saying that, I am optimistic for the team, but I don't think we'll set the world on fire next season. Our front five still needs attention obviously and more strength in depth would be nice. Qualifying for the HEC would be my target and anything else a bonus. The following season however I would expect us to be in the frame for a chance at winning some silverware. 5 years from now, HEC winners, back to back.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 29 May 2012, 12:42 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Haven't really thought about it and things have been changing so fast recently my head is still in a whirl.
The main issue for me over the last 2 years or more has been CCS, getting out of there and back to CAP to enable a secure and financially sustainable future. Hopefully now we are well on our way to achieving that goal. It could never have happened at CCS.
Saying that, I am optimistic for the team, but I don't think we'll set the world on fire next season. Our front five still needs attention obviously and more strength in depth would be nice. Qualifying for the HEC would be my target and anything else a bonus. The following season however I would expect us to be in the frame for a chance at winning some silverware. 5 years from now, HEC winners, back to back.

Shocked

Here's hoping Fingers Crossed
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 29 May 2012, 12:42 pm

Laugh Laugh Laugh Yahoo

I'd drink to that Dave!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 29 May 2012, 1:09 pm

wales606 wrote: 5 years from now, HEC winners, back to back.

Shocked

Here's hoping Fingers Crossed [/quote]

And why not or do you think i'm being a tad optimistic?
Seems reasonable to me that if you get your house in order, are stable financially with a sustainable future, play in a ground where everybody wants to be at including players/coaches/supporters/board members anything is possible.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next