The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Holidays planned this year?

+10
westisbest
Thomond
littleswannygirl
Cari
1GrumpyGolfer
Mad for Chelsea
B91212
Il Gialloblu
Hero
Fists of Fury
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Holidays planned this year? Empty Holidays planned this year?

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 04 May 2012, 10:40 am

With the weather as grim as ever, it has had me dreaming of warmer climes, and immensely looking forward to my travels this year.

Have any of you guys got holidays booked up?

I've got two weeks in India booked for November, and am sorely tempted to have a weeks beach holiday somewhere in Europe in the summer.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Holidays planned this year? Empty Re: Holidays planned this year?

Post by Hero Fri 04 May 2012, 10:50 am

This year we're not looking for anything overseas as my wife has been completing her teacher training for the past year, hopefully though she'll graduate, acquire suitable employment for the September influx and then we'll look at a decent holiday next year with the boys.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 04 May 2012, 11:25 am

I'm going to Hong Kong for a day in June. Got a flight there for 50 quid. Very Happy

Not really a holiday though, I just need a new visa.

What I will be doing however is taking the opportunity to have a week in the beautiful southern Chinese town of Yangshuo, drinking and eating on the cheap, swimming in the river, letching at the many mei niu who are sure to be there, spending time with friends and generally having a break from the noise and crowds of Shanghai (and the missus).

I can't wait.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 04 May 2012, 12:10 pm

Sounds like a good plan, mate. Yangshuo looks terrific.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 04 May 2012, 4:47 pm

Nottinghamshire! Unfortunately, due to a very close family member having a terminal illness I will be returning to blighty for the first time in over 2.5 years at some point during the summer. Although it will be nice to see family and friends it still wouldn't be my first choice as there are loads of places closer to (my adopted) home that I prefer to use my holiday time on.

We have a road trip west planned for July (towards Vancouver but probably won't make it that far), a week in the brother in law's cabin on the BC side of the Rocky Mountains in August with my Mum and her husband when they visit, a weekends cheap shopping in Montana in September and then a trip up to Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories in October to see the aurora borealis (northern lights) in October.

Mrs is a massive Harry Potter fan so wanted to take her to Florida to see the new theme park there. Unfortunately due to illness she is not allowed to fly this year so hoping to take her there in early 2013. Although I do enjoy Florida it wouldn't be my first choice for a holiday destination.

Enjoy Yangshuo Il Gialloblu and India Fists - I miss my single days of travelling around Asia Sad

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Sat 05 May 2012, 1:56 pm

You may miss your days of travelling around Asia B91212, but I'm quite jealous of the sound of your road trips.

I've read both Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Into The Wild in the last two weeks whilst commuting around Shanghai on the busy subway and it's really whetted my appetite for another road trip.

I've driven San Francisco - Los Angeles - Las Vegas before but I'd love to drive all over the U.S. and as much of Canada as would be possible.

Yes, Asia is great. But for road trips, I think the Western world is better.

Have a good time pal.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sat 05 May 2012, 2:52 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:Have a good time pal.
Thanks! I've done the Vegas and area drive as well.

When was the last time you visited Mansfield? After two and a half years I'm kind of looking forward to it, but at the same time I am a little apprehensive although not sure why. On my previous visits back I've always been excited to be back for a couple of days and then begin looking forward to getting 'home' to Canada, the novelty seems to wear off pretty quickly.

At least I will be able to get a decent curry (or 5!)

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 15 May 2012, 9:56 am

Sorry B, taken too long to reply.

I went back last August for 10 days, for the first time in 2 years, similar thing to you really. Sudden family thing.

I was the same... the first few days were great. Seeing family and friends, catching up, and just going to pubs again. Not bars like we have here, but pubs. I even got down to Field Mill for the first time in two years and saw us beat Newport 5-0. I used to be a season ticket holder so it was good to get back in the West Stand and have a pie.

But then later, I was just bored. Everyone was at work during the day, I couldn't drive myself anywhere and the buses out of Blidworth take forever to get anywhere. I had no interest in anything on TV and felt like I was wasting time.

It was tricky. Going home for less time would have felt like a waste of money on the flights but it did feel like I stayed too long.

I also realised how much I'd changed, or how out of touch I was with English life at least. But sometimes that was a good thing.

TV was terrible. My brother's missus was watching some rubbish programme about some Geordies on holiday. They were complete morons. I also remember some bloke called Olly Murs was on something else. I asked who he was and they couldn't believe I didn't know. I don't want to know.

The other week, a facebook friend put "am I the only one who didn't know Jessie J is gay?"

Gay? You didn't know she was gay? I don't even know who Jessie J is. Until someone replied with "she is bi", I didn't know if Jessie J was a man or a woman. And you know what? I love living in this kind of ignorance. It's brilliant not being bombarded by this horrible culture. I don't have a telly here and I don't miss it one bit.

I haven't learnt much Chinese while I've been here, which would of course have been helpful. But on the plus side, I enjoy being oblivious to things unless I choose not to be. I sit on a bus in England, I hear how someone called Tracy spoke to someone called Sharon and she said someone called Wayne has been playing away with someone called Rachel and if someone called Daz hears about it he'll kill Wayne and... I don't care! Shut up!

Sorry, I'm rambling. But something else I have become unaccustomed to is chavs. We don't have chavs here. Whilst walking around Mansfield, I saw a group of 5 or 6 chavs coming down the road towards me and I felt a bit scared! They were only about 18 but I was actually a bit scared!

I remember one time in Hong Kong, I wanted to take a night-time photo of the skyline. I set up my camera on a little tripod on the floor, set the timer, stood up and waited for it to take the photo. Just as I stood up, 5 or 6 young lads, of a similar age to the chavs I saw in Mansfield, came along and sat on some railings next to me. No problem. No apprehension. No quickly grabbing my camera before they did. Just people doing what they're doing with no malice in the air.

There are far less rules here too. People think the Chinese authorities are strict. Yes, in certain situations I'm sure they are. But in everyday life, you have so much more freedom.

If my girlfiend and I want to get food from two different restaurants, she'll just get hers to go and take it into the restaurant where I want to eat. I once went into a cafe and ordered a burger with chips and a beer, while the girl I was spending the day with went to McDonalds and brought her burger, chips and drink into the cafe to eat it with me. Nobody cares.

Last summer in England, I absent-mindedly went to walk into a bar holding half a bottle of Coke. The bouncer told me rather bluntly that I couldn't take it in. It took me a few seconds to remember that you can't do that in England. I left it on the front desk and picked it up when I left, which garnered some funny looks.

I haven't disowned England. I'm proud to be English and proud to be from Mansfield. But I'm not sure I could go back and live there for good. Not yet anyway.

Anyway, curry... Are there no decent curry houses near you in Canada? Where do you go in Mansfield? Modhu? You could try the Sherwood Ranger in Ravenshead. They have turned half of it into a curry house. Half pub, half curry house. Perfect!
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 15 May 2012, 1:03 pm

That's a very interesting take on things from someone living outside of the UK for a period of time. I obviously can't relate to it, but it does seem like it'd be that way.

We have opted to have a little camping trip during the first week of June. Bala lake in Wales for a couple of nights, Brecon Beacons for a night, Forest of Dean for a couple and then ending up in Bourton on the water. Can't beat a bit of English countryside.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 15 May 2012, 4:10 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:That's a very interesting take on things from someone living outside of the UK for a period of time. I obviously can't relate to it, but it does seem like it'd be that way.

We have opted to have a little camping trip during the first week of June. Bala lake in Wales for a couple of nights, Brecon Beacons for a night, Forest of Dean for a couple and then ending up in Bourton on the water. Can't beat a bit of English countryside.

Looking forward to getting the Welsh bit over and done with then mate? Hope Steffan doesn't see this. censored

Cheers for the response pal. As I said, I didn't think I'd changed much but clearly I must have done.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 15 May 2012, 4:24 pm

Haha! Ok, British countryside Wink I must admit we are braving it a little by camping with the weather as it currently is, but for me that is all part of the fun. I might see if I can't get some fishing done whilst out and about.

Yeah I guess it must be strange, particularly given that you are living in a place where customs are so very different. I guess living in mainland Europe for example wouldn't provide such a shock when returning home, but China is of course vastly different.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 16 May 2012, 3:51 pm

spending 35 days in China with a friend starting end of June Yahoo

mild problem getting our visas sorted as it appears you need to supply hotel booking confirmations, which given we're going to be traveling around a fair bit amounts to about 20 different hostels (plus night trains/night buses).

Should be great fun though Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 17 May 2012, 8:45 am

Wow nice one MFC, should be a tremendous month. Very jealous.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 17 May 2012, 8:46 am

Do I assume by that that you're a student?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 17 May 2012, 9:45 am

PhD student Fists, so yes, technically still a student Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 17 May 2012, 9:57 am

Fair play, make the most of it!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu 17 May 2012, 7:19 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:spending 35 days in China with a friend starting end of June Yahoo

mild problem getting our visas sorted as it appears you need to supply hotel booking confirmations, which given we're going to be traveling around a fair bit amounts to about 20 different hostels (plus night trains/night buses).

Should be great fun though Very Happy
Enjoy OK

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu 17 May 2012, 7:19 pm

Thanks for taking the time to respond Il Gialloblu. It's just about confirmed that my trip back will be during the early part of June.

I can relate to a lot of what you said, especially the part of the chavs who thankfully seem just a British phenomenon. I also understand about feeling safe or uneasy. I take for granted that we can walk wheverer here and at whatever time. The Mrs works shifts so we often take the dog for a walk after midnight at weekends after she gets in (helps me sober up if I've been out for a few beers with the lads Smile). Where as before there were places I didn't like her walking on her own even during the day whilst I was at work.

You can carry drinks into most places here (you rarely seen a Canadian without a coffee in their hand even when shopping) but they wouldn't let you bring your own food into other resturents - that sounds great (me and the mrs can never agree on where to eat out). As for curry's there are 3 Indian's here but there food isn't much different from what you get from a jar of Sharwoods. They are run by Asians so perhaps I'm just used to the 'British style Indian' but they are not a ptach on what I'm used to. Plus by Canadian standards it's pretty pricey. I've eaten at the Modhu plenty of times but my favorite is Huthwaite Tandoori (Onion Bhaji, Chicken Tikka Ceylon, Garlic Mushroom rice and plain Naan is the ultimate). I do like the idea of the half Indian / Pub idea of the Sherwwod Ranger at Fishpool.

TV here is pretty crap also. We get a mixture of US and Canadian channels but we either watch films or in my case sport (cricket & rugby). There is such a thing as X-Factor but I've never watched it plus it's not rammed down your throat 24/7 in every newspaper here. In fact the whole celebrity worship thing isn't prevalent here at all. Makes me laugh to myself when I talk to people on the phone in the UK, moaning about this person or that person off of some reality crap 'don't know what they have done to be on the tele' when they are actually watching the persons every move and discussing it among themselves all day and night. I'll give Cowell his do, the man knows marketing better than he knows music. I also didn't know who Jessie J was either (looked her up after reading your post - seems I'm not missing anything).

I can't see us moving back, certainly not in the near future as we have too much invested here (mortgage, vehicles, long term contracts for this and that etc). More importantly, other than family there is nothing left in the UK for us anyway and the Canadian way of life seems to suit us.

By the way I'm another expat Stags fan. Ex-season ticket holder for the Lower West Stand during my teenage years.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed 23 May 2012, 7:16 am

B91212

I don't have anything like what you have invested here mate. I wouldn't want to, for two reasons really. First, I would be afraid that things could easily just be taken away from me. That fear may be unfounded and even a bit offensively prejudiced but I'm not taking any chances. I could just be in the wrong place at the wrong time one day and end up being told to leave! And there's not really any right to appeal or any sympathy for foreigners if that happens.

The other reason is that I don't know how long I want to stay. Not going back to England doesn't necessarily mean staying in China.

Have a good time back in Mansfield anyway mate. Shame the football season has finished. We did pretty well.

Mad for Chelsea

Whereabouts in China will you be going?

It's going to be pretty hot in July pal!

I shouldn't worry too much about putting all the hotel information on your visa application. Just put a few if you don't know them all yet - I reckon just putting your first destination might suffice anyway, although I certainly think it's better to have a few on there.

I'm not sure how much they'll care though and I very much doubt they'll be cross-checking your application form with your movements. They've got far better things to be doing than that.

Every time you check into a hotel or hostel, they will register you at the local Public Security Bureau (basically a police station) so they will have a record of where you are, but they don't do anything with it.

They'll check it if you get in trouble for something else, but it should all be in order anyway if you're staying in hotels or hostels.

What visa will you have? If you're struggling to get a visa for more than 30 days, you could just get a 30 day tourist one and extend it while you're here.

After saying all that, I hope that you don't actually need any of that information and that everything goes smoothly.

I'm sure you'll have a good time - and I don't think Fists was just saying it when he said he's jealous. I really think he is. censored
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 24 May 2012, 10:10 am

Correct! Crying or Very sad

Never mind, I will be there within the next couple of years, I'll make sure of that.

First stop India, though, which I'm sure will be an eye opener in itself.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 3:46 pm

me and my gf going away later on in the year to Paris Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 24 May 2012, 4:07 pm

Better deflate her first, CF, as I don't think they'll let her through customs otherwise Wink

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 4:16 pm

yep real funny, see your sense of humour has got better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 May 2012, 4:16 pm

me and my gf have been together 2 years now Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 24 May 2012, 6:29 pm

Not got much planned so far this year. I'm off next week to lay a patio in the back garden and have to be finished by June 4 as the Doris has invited 25 of her friends to come over on June 5 for a jubilee garden party.

My parents are over in September so we might join them in Branson, Missouri for a few days before they come and stay with us for a week.

Like B91212 and Il Gialloblu I have driven LA to Vegas and then back to San Diego. That road is so boring, after about 30 minutes you have seen all the scenery that you will see in the 5 hours that it takes. It was just getting dark as we approached Vegas and it was quite a surreal sight with all the lights appearing out of the desert.

I can echo the feelings of those guys too as I've been out of the UK for almost 7 years. We come back from time to time and it is different each time. I don't know if B9 and Il G feel the same way but in a way I feel like I am homeless. I don't belong in the US and never will and the UK has moved on from where it was when we last lived there. I think part of it is due to thinking that the UK would have just stayed the same from when we left but each visit back makes you feel more and more isolated.

I have the same trouble about finding a curry too and it's one of the things I miss. It's always one of the staples that we have when we're back along with fish and chips. Although I have found an indian restaurant close to the office that is pretty good so I can satisfy some cravings.

People ask what I miss about home and it's family, just me and the missus here, food - fish n chips, curry, proper bacon, year round golf and watching the Arsenal. Although, I probably see more Arsenal games now than when I was a season ticket holder at Highbury.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 24 May 2012, 6:52 pm

I don't suppose you travellers could recommend some good ideas for trips for solo travellers? It'd have to be something fairly cheap and safe of course. I'm just not sure about where to go. I hadn't been abroad in my life until recently - and that was a European city. I don't mind somewhere in the UK if it's an interesting place to go, but I discovered I love flying, so it'd be good to fly somewhere Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by littleswannygirl Thu 24 May 2012, 7:55 pm

Cari,

My mum has been away lots on her own since my Dad died and has never had any problems, though admittedly she does generally go on organised package tours. She doesn't spend very much time with the other travellers though, she's a bit of a loner. Next time I speak to her I'll pick her brains for ideas. I take it you'd be after somewhere scenic and/or historical and not too hot.
littleswannygirl
littleswannygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 25 May 2012, 9:38 am

Anywhere, Cari.

If I were you I'd take a trip over to the Thorn Tree travel forum on Lonely Planet's website, you'll find plenty of like minded people there giving tips and advice.

The world, as they say, is your oyster.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 25 May 2012, 6:16 pm

Swanny - a lot of people go on solo packaged tours. They're a good idea for people who want to have travel companions. I think I'd find that a bit restrictive for me. I like to do my own thing in my own time. I do like a place with a rich history - and yes me and heat don't get along! Smile

Thanks for the tip Fists. Lonely Planet is probably a good place to start. Their guide books are good.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 25 May 2012, 7:50 pm

According to Lonely Planet, Cork was one of the top 10 places in the world to visit, so they are definitely brilliant. They change the places every year though!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 26 May 2012, 2:15 pm

Thomo - I still want to see loads more of Eire, and Cork is lovely (from what I can tell anyway).

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:01 pm

Galway is a great spot when your next in Ireland.

Maybe you could travel around Ireland a bit.

Was down in Skibbereen in October for cousins 40th, love it there.

Few places to see, climbed Lough Hyne, great views.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:00 pm

West - from what I've seen of Western Ireland, it does look beautiful. There's certainly loads of it to explore.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by littleswannygirl Wed 06 Jun 2012, 9:26 pm

Cari, I had a chat with my mum at the weekend and she's suggested Dubrovnik. A very beautiful city with loads to do and it's by the sea into the bargain. Just don't go in the height of summer, it gets very hot. April/May or September/October would suit you better.
littleswannygirl
littleswannygirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 07 Jun 2012, 7:59 am

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:

I can echo the feelings of those guys too as I've been out of the UK for almost 7 years. We come back from time to time and it is different each time. I don't know if B9 and Il G feel the same way but in a way I feel like I am homeless. I don't belong in the US and never will and the UK has moved on from where it was when we last lived there. I think part of it is due to thinking that the UK would have just stayed the same from when we left but each visit back makes you feel more and more isolated.

Although, I probably see more Arsenal games now than when I was a season ticket holder at Highbury.

I completely agree with the first part mate, it's a bit like being in limbo. I thought I was leaving British society behind but actually it has been busy leaving me behind. As much as I enjoy living here, I will never be fully assimilated into the Chinese society. Impossible. So yeah, kind of spiritually homeless. I don't really mind though, I'm happy enough.

As for your second point, I've been able to find a watchable stream for one Mansfield Town match in two years. Guess I'll have to wait until we're in the Premier League until I can watch us regularly... in a bar... with people. Crying or Very sad

Cari

I wish I could give you some good advice about where to go but you said you don't like the heat so the places I could suggest in Asia might not be great for you.

However... Thailand. Thailand is easy, laid back, safe, cheap while you're there and good deals can be found on flights/packages. You'd have the beaches, trekking, temples, nightlife, spas, great food... allsorts really. It's not just a place for smelly travellers and hasn't been for a long time. The heat is hellish in summer but for some winter sun, it could be good. Some snobby travellers turn their nose up at Thailand, saying it's too touristy and everyone has been there.

And why do they think that is? Well, because it's easy, laid back, safe, cheap, great food... and just such a fun place to be. It's also equally as easy to keep yourself to yourself as it is to make friends with other travellers. I don't see how this can be a bad thing.

For someone such as yourself who has only recently ventured onto the continent, Thailand could be great and I'm sure it would give you the confidence and desire to see more countries around that part of the world, such as Laos and Cambodia, that you might not have right now.

As for Europe, I haven't been to that many places and I only want to give advice about places I've been to. From where I've been (Paris, Berlin, Prague, Rome and Sorrento, Barcelona, Kiev, Moscow), I would recommend the Italian Job, so to speak. If you have a weekend, Rome. If you have a week, split it between Rome and somewhere further south on the Gulf of Naples/Amalfi Coast.

Rome is great and wandering around looking at the sights is perfect for the solo traveller. I'm not sure about Sorrento for the lone tourist though - seemed more of a couple's place. Around that area though you do have have Pompeii, Herculaneum and Vesuvius to explore.

In the UK, Edinburgh is by far my favourite city. I love the feel of the place, the atmosphere and the gorgeous buildings. Other cities have special landmarks surrounded by average shops/dwellings. In Edinburgh, everything to me just fits with, and makes, the classic feel of the place. Highly recommended for a relatively cheap weekend.

Slightly off-topic but this animated film captured the essence of Edinburgh really well for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Illusionist_(2010_film)

If you've ever been, or are planning to go, it's well worth a watch. I got very nostalgic watching it here in China, thinking about all the times I'd been there.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:08 am

[quote="Il Gialloblu"]
1GrumpyGolfer wrote:

As for your second point, I've been able to find a watchable stream for one Mansfield Town match in two years. Guess I'll have to wait until we're in the Premier League until I can watch us regularly... in a bar... with people. Crying or Very sad

Why would you want to??? Ha kidding.

I'm about to join you expats on your life away from the UK, as I will be moving to Perth in November with a new job and can't wait.

Cari,

How far are you thinking of going and for how long?

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:36 am

Thanks for the tips guys Very Happy all gratefully recieved. Ill Gial - I was told Glasgow was better than Edinburgh - there was more, character/life to it, but I'd go to either to be honest as I haven't been to Scotland yet.

Trott - in the short term, not that far just somewhere for a short long weekend break. If I went further afield, then I'd have to book the time off work. Couldn't take more than a fortnight in one go I expect.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Thu 07 Jun 2012, 9:55 am

Would always suggest New Zealand but obviously too far for a fortnight. Good climate, not overly hot with fantastic people and scenery.

Ils' suggestion of Thailand is also a great one and if you left in September/October the weather is still pretty cool. Great for trekking around the North.

If I was you I'd stick to back packer routes which are generally safe as houses, you meet people when you want yet you still have the freedom you to do as you please without worrying about what anyone elsse wants to do.

I'm really struggling to think of somewhere great in Europe for solo travel as most of mine was done further afield.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:00 am

Thanks Trott - that's a fair comment. New Zealand would need at least a four week stay, but I wouldn't be able to get that off work.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 07 Jun 2012, 10:46 am

Cari

I can't really compare Edinburgh and Glasgow directly because the situations have been different when I've been to them.

Before I went to either, I thought that Edinburgh would be nice and Glasgow would be rough.

Basically, every time I've been to Edinburgh I've been either by myself or with friends who are also not from there.

The only time I've been to Glasgow, I went there for a weekend to stay with Ok! a local lass I'd met elsewhere, so she showed me her local haunts. Places I wouldn't have gone to if I didn't know a local.

This has surely reinforced my perception of Edinburgh being good for tourists and Glasgow being good if you can get under the skin, but I'm very sure that my perception is skewed.

If I knew someone in Edinburgh, they would have shown me places that I would never have been to and equally, if I didn't know anyone in Glasgow, I'm sure I would have still had a great time doing the normal tourist stuff anyway. Whatever that might be.

Also, I've been to Edinburgh maybe ten times and Glasgow once, so of course I would favour Edinburgh.

But I'm certainly in no position to tell you one is better than the other because my experience is so one sided.

What I would say is, if you wanted to visit Scotland, there are some Edinburghers and Glaswegians on here that could give you useful advice that you might not find on tourist board websites.

Just from the boxing boards, I know superflyweight is in Edinburgh while I think SugarRayRussell, Goldenbhoy and The Galveston Giant are all Glaswegian. They're Celtic fans anyway.

Maybe you know more on whichever boards you frequent.

If you're after some Edinburgh/Glasgow advice, drop them a PM. That's what I'd do.

Last edited by Il Gialloblu on Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 07 Jun 2012, 11:20 am

Got to love Il_gialloblu, haven't you? He is our very own travel agent, only far more informative and in depth than the usual twerps you go and see!

I have been to both, but my stay in Glasgow was one night only, so I barely saw any of it (we were just passing through). Equally, my trip to Edinburgh was a stag weekend, and whilst we did some of the touristy stuff e.g. the royal mile, the castle etc, we spent plenty of time at the Grassmarkets sampling the local brews and whisky. Edinburgh really is a lovely city, though.

With regard to New Zealand, a fortnight is ok. Don't be put off by that. I have been to Australia for 15 days and that was ample time to take in both Sydney and Melbourne. Don't get me wrong, longer would be better, but it is do-able if it is somewhere you really want to visit and have time restraints due to work.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:43 pm

Thanks Il Gialloblu. thumbsup Great advice. I guess it's each to their own with these things, everyone has good/bad views on different places depending on their individual experience. There's a couple of Scottish board users I know of, so I'd certainly ask them. Going to any new place with a local is a massive bonus as well. When I first went to Dublin and Amsterdam I met up with locals, which was really helpful. I hardly did anything touristy when I went there but still had a fab time.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:39 pm

swanny
we should probably put our respective mothers in touch with each other - my Mum is starting to get the hang of this solo traveller thing now after my Dad passed away 3 years ago. She was looking to book a safari in South Africa for later this year, but the local travel agent (who organises it independent of any of the big companies because he has contacts in SA) didn't have enough interest. Maybe next year (along with a trip to the western US - Grand Canyon, Monument Valley etc).

Cari
I can't really offer any advise to a solo traveller, but if you have a few days it might be worth extending any trip to Glasgow or Edinburgh northwards - Scotland really has some wonderful places. Only problems are:
1 - like Wales, it can rain a fair bit, particularly towards the west coast
2 - don't go in late summer. It is untrue to claim the golden eagle as the national bird of Scotland, in August and September it should be the midge.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sun 10 Jun 2012, 3:20 pm

Just returned from my trip back to the UK, which become my first holiday of the year. As 1GrumpyGolfer says every trip back is different and each time I feel more and more of a visitor. Some small observations of being back 'home'.

The Good
It was great to see those close family & friends who you know will never travel here for a visit (although they always say they will).
The choice of items in shops and supermarkets (and the reasonable price of food).
The lush green Great British countryside.
Being able to walk everywhere. When it wasn't raining I covered at least 4 miles a day visiting people and places.
Decent curries, proper fish & chips, hand pulled beer, pork pies and black pudding.
Things to do. Britain has an amazing amount of places to visit and things to do, all within a close distance. All reasonably priced too.
History. One of the main things I miss about living in England is the history of the place. I didn't realise this until I moved away.
Public transport. I could get anywhere whatsoever on my own although I didn't drive this time and for a reasonable price too.
Although not a huge fan of the Royal family I did enjoy the general feeling of optimism caused by the Jubilee.

The Bad
The lack of patience as people go about their everyday lives. Lines in shops are not going to go down any quicker because people are agitated about waiting.
What seems like construction on every piece of green area going. Yet when I traveled through towns there were loads of brown belt run down areas being left to decay. Why not build on these first?
What I can only describe as racism by nearly everyone I spoke to (including close family) regarding 'damn immigrants'. I can understand the frustration but I was honestly taken aback by some of feeling by people who I would normally class a decent individuals. After reading the papers I can't help but feel they are fanning the flames.
The continuing trend of celebrity worship and the unbelievable amount of reality tv.
Road travel. Unbelievably busy roads and everyone driving as though their lives depend on getting to their destination in the shortest time possible regardless of the risk. I honestly felt uncomfortable whenever I was a passenger in a car, especially on the M1 when it was raining.
Wind turbines what felt like everywhere. Ugly and after reading up on them a little I'm not sure they are worth the benefit. Even if they are then cancer concerns should be enough to limit them to being built out at see. They have spoiled one of my favorite forests where I used to walk the dog on a regular basis. I haven't had the heart to tell the dog about it since I got back!

The purpose of the trip was to see a loved one before the end and this was achieved before it was to late.

Last edited by B91212 on Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Original post gave the wrong impression.)

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 10 Jun 2012, 3:41 pm

I find it rather sad that you've pointed out more of the bad than good. I don't know exactly which parts of the country you were visiting, but it's not the same everywhere so how you can use it as an illustration to shape your view of the whole of the UK is puzzling. Also, the issues of celebrity worship, travel problems, TV and racism/immigration are not unique to the UK either. I suspect Canada has its own issues regarding those matters too. I find it hard to believe that you never encounter a queue or impatient people in Canada. However, these things are variable depending on where you live - just like over here and any other Western country. It's easy for emigrants to criticise their home country and the other man's grass always does appear to be greener to the emigrant.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sun 10 Jun 2012, 4:08 pm

It wasn't meant to come over that way Cari. Canada certainly has it's problems and I guess these were just different things I found compared to when I lived there. I'm actually proud to be British and one of my responses when everybody was having a moan and grumble about the immigrant thing and just things in general was that you don't always realise what is good about Britain until you move away. In order to balance things up I will add to my good list.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 10 Jun 2012, 7:21 pm

To be fair B9, being an emigrant you'll naturally have a different view of your homeland to that of a frequent traveller. I just find it a bit sad when people who have the choice to emigrate to another country, get so cynical about the place they left.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 11 Jun 2012, 8:39 am

Two things in B's list of bad things stuck out for me, the first being the celebrity culture and reality TV rubbish.

It's certainly not just in Britain, as everyone knows. It's not even just a Western thing. We now have China's Got Talent. There are also some X-Factor type shows. I recall in the last year, the Government told the TV station to cut back on it as one of the singing shows was on for about three bloody hours at a time!

As I mentioned in an earlier post though, I can easily remain oblivious to all this and I do. But it is there.

The second point concerns the ill feeling towards immigrants and turned into a big off topic ramble so I’ll put it in a spoiler.

Spoiler:

But back on topic, my holiday starts tomorrow! Flying to Hong Kong and then a week in Yangshuo.

Holidays, good.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 11 Jun 2012, 9:22 am

Have a good one, mate.

Wow, I didn't know that with regard to a Chinese egress policy. Let's hope it stays, or as you say, there may well be an immigration problem!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 15 Jun 2012, 4:31 am

Sorry for the delayed response after others took the time to comment on my posts. My original post was pants and gave the wrong impression that I dislike what I feel will always be my home country, regardless of where I live now which is truly not the case. In hindsight I should have a - not posted after travelling for nearly 36 hours straight and b - read the bloody thing through before hitting the post button.

Doh

Il Gialloblu - thank you for taking the time to post about the immigrant thing. I think you hit the nail on the head, I'm probably sensitive to the whole issue being an immigrant myself.

Okay, enough thread hijacking. Il Gialloblu I hope you have had a great time when you get home and read this.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next