The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland and Wales now realistic chances in next weeks tests.

+21
Morgannwg
Full Credit
KickAndChase
Bullsbok
RubyGuby
funnyExiledScot
wales606
thebluesmancometh
TycroesOsprey
BigTrevsbigmac
LondonTiger
Tattie Scones RRN
Biltong
Shifty
mystiroakey
George Carlin
emack2
Cryptoyourisan
anotherworldofpain
aucklandlaurie
blackcanelion
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scotland and Wales now realistic chances in next weeks tests. Empty Scotland and Wales now realistic chances in next weeks tests.

Post by blackcanelion Mon 28 May 2012, 3:24 am

I rate the chances of Scotland and Wales winning next weeks. My reasons are:
1: The super XV plays in the weekend. The wallabies play Scotland and wales on the following Tuesday and Saturday. The Australians will by nature have to mix and match their teams. The likelyhood is that both sides they put out will be understrength.
2: The injury toll is mounting. The latest losses to the squad are Horwell and Beale. There are some players coming back (e.g. Cooper), but some are short of game time.

The squad is:
Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Quade Cooper, Dave Dennis, Kane Douglas, Anthony Faingaa, Saia Faingaa, Bernard Foley, Will Genia, Michael Harris, Scott Higginbotham, Michael Hooper, Rob Horne, Digby Ioane, Sekope Kepu, Salesi Ma'afu, Pat McCabe, Ben McCalman, Jesse Mogg, Stephen Moore, Luke Morahan, Cadeyrn Neville, Dan Palmer, Wycliff Palu, Nick Phipps, David Pocock, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Hugh Pyle, Benn Robinson, Nathan Sharpe, Dominic Shipperley, Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Sitaleki Timani, Joseph Tomane, Cooper Vuna, Nic White.

Good to see a few kiwis in there.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Scotland and Wales now realistic chances in next weeks tests. Empty Re: Scotland and Wales now realistic chances in next weeks tests.

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 28 May 2012, 3:38 am

Any more Maoris and they'll also be wanting to do a haka.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Scotland and Wales now realistic chances in next weeks tests. Empty Re: Scotland and Wales now realistic chances in next weeks tests.

Post by anotherworldofpain Mon 28 May 2012, 11:06 pm

New Australian team sponsor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coopers_Brewery

Hooper just named because they run out of Coopers.

Wasn't Dave Dennis the lawyer in movie The Castle?

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Tue 29 May 2012, 1:15 am

No danger will Scotland beat the Wallabies. I see us beating Fiji and Samoa, but only if they play their amateurs. I would take Wales as an outside bet for one win but they have injury problems of their own.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 29 May 2012, 2:06 am

Without Beale,O`Connor,Horwell,Elsom,Australia maybe weaker than expected.
But they are more solid up front than of yore,and are never short of good loosies or backs.At Home they are still favourites to be unbeaten there.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 29 May 2012, 2:33 am

The problem is not just the loss of talent through injury, but more to do with time.

The Rebels and Brumbies play on Friday and the Waratahs play on Saturday. Australia play two tests in the space of the nexts 7 days. Deans has presumably got access to the Queensland and Force players, but will have to feed the others into the mix. It's hard to see any of them getting much involvement in training for the Scottish game. You then have the issue of some players having to back up for the Saturday match and the limited coaching prep because of the short turn around.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 May 2012, 7:47 am

The Reds' bye came at just the wrong time for Deans.

Surely the only options at 10 are Cooper and Barnes and they need both of those players to have some game time at that position prior to Wales.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 May 2012, 7:49 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Any more Maoris and they'll also be wanting to do a haka.

noooooooooo

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 29 May 2012, 8:13 am

I see Scotland getting beaten by all 3 teams, thats not meant to be insulting but having seen Wales play in the south seas over the years especially that 34-9 defeat in the 90's I know how bad it is. I really hope the Scottish havent been caught out by an after dinner kick off because when Samoa did that to Wales we had players collapsing and being sick from heat exaustion, it was so bad Neil Jenkins recieved the ball and actually run towards his own goal posts because he wasnt sure which way to go!

I'm hopeful Australia pick their full side against Scotland but in truth I expect their A side for Scotland and their main players against Wales. Though if Australia do it the other way around and Wales win the first one it might generate some interest in the series. After Australia beating Wales in their last 2 games you wonder if the Australians rate the Welsh team.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 8:14 am

It seems Beale won't need a shoulder operation after all and should feature in the later tests against wales
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 29 May 2012, 9:09 am

AlynDavies wrote:I see Scotland getting beaten by all 3 teams, thats not meant to be insulting but having seen Wales play in the south seas over the years especially that 34-9 defeat in the 90's I know how bad it is. I really hope the Scottish havent been caught out by an after dinner kick off because when Samoa did that to Wales we had players collapsing and being sick from heat exaustion, it was so bad Neil Jenkins recieved the ball and actually run towards his own goal posts because he wasnt sure which way to go!

I'm hopeful Australia pick their full side against Scotland but in truth I expect their A side for Scotland and their main players against Wales. Though if Australia do it the other way around and Wales win the first one it might generate some interest in the series. After Australia beating Wales in their last 2 games you wonder if the Australians rate the Welsh team.

It's 2012.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 29 May 2012, 10:40 am

Assuming fiji and Samoa are able/allowed to pick strong teams - I reckon Scotland's best chance of breaking their losing run will be against Australia - pretty much for the reasons given by the OP.

Aus are already missing key players, and with a round of Super XV a couple of days before the Scotland match the team will be battered, bruised and have little preparation.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 29 May 2012, 11:09 am

LondonTiger wrote:Assuming fiji and Samoa are able/allowed to pick strong teams - I reckon Scotland's best chance of breaking their losing run will be against Australia - pretty much for the reasons given by the OP.

Aus are already missing key players, and with a round of Super XV a couple of days before the Scotland match the team will be battered, bruised and have little preparation.

I agree the players missing from Autralia are world class & game changers in their own right.

I hate to think what this board ( some not all welsh posters) will be like if Wales beat a half cooked Australia side and the Lions struggle against their full team properly prepared next year.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 29 May 2012, 11:17 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Assuming fiji and Samoa are able/allowed to pick strong teams - I reckon Scotland's best chance of breaking their losing run will be against Australia - pretty much for the reasons given by the OP.

I agree the players missing from Autralia are world class & game changers in their own right.

I hate to think what this board ( some not all welsh posters) will be like if Wales beat a half cooked Australia side and the Lions struggle against their full team properly prepared next year.

Oh I think we all know the answer to that question Yahoo

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 29 May 2012, 11:37 am

TycroesOsprey wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:

Oh I think we all know the answer to that question Yahoo

Yep your one Very Happy

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 29 May 2012, 12:31 pm

I think this Aus side is pretty comparable to the one England beat in Aus in recent years, undercooked, prepared and with numerous players out, but be warned, there are a lot of on form players in that squad. I think it's going to be a very tough battle!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 29 May 2012, 12:40 pm

Wales will have a good chance in the first test (really annoyed that we will be missing Ian Evans and AWJ will be on the bench :/)

If Wales can pull off a win in the first test against an unprepared Aussie team then the series could go to the wire.

If they lose the first test, it will be an uphill struggle to get the W they need.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 29 May 2012, 1:34 pm

Having seen the Australia squad I'm not hugely optimistic for Scotland.

Much will depend on Mr Robinson's team selections of course, always a worry.

The execution and ball skills of the Aussies will certainly be a step ahead of us, and I very much doubt we'll get much mileage from the scrum (Robinson has even admitted as much).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 29 May 2012, 1:47 pm

Probably another victorious but undervalued victory coming up - Why always us eh? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 1:51 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Probably another victorious but undervalued victory coming up - Why always us eh? thumbsup

because of threads like this which only give Wales a chance if the other team is riddled with injuries Headscratch
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 29 May 2012, 1:57 pm

It's not riddled with injuries - they're missing 3 players, 2 of whom would have been shoe-ins for the 10 jersey. Didn't phase NZ in the world cup.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 29 May 2012, 1:58 pm

KickAndChase wrote:It's not riddled with injuries - they're missing 3 players, 2 of whom would have been shoe-ins for the 10 jersey. Didn't phase NZ in the world cup.

And Wales will be missing 3 for the first test (Roberts, Evans and AWJ)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 29 May 2012, 1:59 pm

Hang on! I think we've got 3-4 players missing, why no fuss on that one? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 1:59 pm

KickAndChase wrote:It's not riddled with injuries - they're missing 3 players, 2 of whom would have been shoe-ins for the 10 jersey. Didn't phase NZ in the world cup.

Australia is australia and the all blacks are the all blacks .just because it doesnt phase them doesnt mean it shouldnt face the aussies.
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Tue 29 May 2012, 2:06 pm

What I'm saying, and I think people are agreeing, is that the Aussie side is no more understrength than the Scotland (entire backrow) or Wales sides ... so game on.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 29 May 2012, 2:14 pm

Well technically it's 5 injured (JOC, Beale, Horwill, Tapuai, Lealiifano) but they're the cards we've been dealt so there's no point complaining about it.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 29 May 2012, 2:16 pm

Wales you gotta start beliveing- You wanna take them aussies out, soctland if you loose your island games i feel for scotish rugby- but losing to the aussies is probally gonna happen

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 29 May 2012, 2:18 pm

Full Credit wrote:Well technically it's 5 injured (JOC, Beale, Horwill, Tapuai, Lealiifano) but they're the cards we've been dealt so there's no point complaining about it.

Lealiifano and Tapuai aren't first choice though.

Wales are missing Huw Bennett and Lee Byrne.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 29 May 2012, 2:26 pm

They are both first choice. Taps is probably the best centre in the country and Lealiifano's form was head and shoulders above any of his Australian rivals this season. The general consensus on Australian forums was that he would be a shoe in for the 10 given Barnes is lost at sea this year and Cooper's form and fitness is unknown.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 2:40 pm

Full Credit wrote:They are both first choice. Taps is probably the best centre in the country and Lealiifano's form was head and shoulders above any of his Australian rivals this season. The general consensus on Australian forums was that he would be a shoe in for the 10 given Barnes is lost at sea this year and Cooper's form and fitness is unknown.

yer lealiafano was shoe in to start at flyhalf and he looked eletric this season
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 29 May 2012, 2:42 pm

Look Aus fans we went to Ireland and beat them without 6 first choice players - You couldn't beat them with 1 first choice missing. Just man up and may the best team win - No whinging afterwards thumbsup Whistle

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 29 May 2012, 2:43 pm

Bennet and Byrne aren't first choice but both would have provided some good cover.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 29 May 2012, 2:48 pm

All this talk about Aus injury list, in reality it is probably similar to Wales injury list!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 2:52 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Look Aus fans we went to Ireland and beat them without 6 first choice players - You couldn't beat them with 1 first choice missing. Just man up and may the best team win - No whinging afterwards thumbsup Whistle

Thts rich considering you do the most whinging
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 29 May 2012, 3:15 pm

Bullsbok wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Look Aus fans we went to Ireland and beat them without 6 first choice players - You couldn't beat them with 1 first choice missing. Just man up and may the best team win - No whinging afterwards thumbsup Whistle

Hmmm I refer you to the aftermath of the RWC quarterfinal, people in glass houses springs to mind. kiss

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Tue 29 May 2012, 3:17 pm

Man you guys like to whinge don’t you. We have 3 key players missing. Oh yeah well we have 4 key players missing. The best teams available on the day will be out on the field giving their all for the jersey. Whoever wins takes the credit. Just because one side has a full strength team doesn’t mean they’re not going to have an off day. We saw in the WC that the stronger team doesn’t always win. I for one am looking forward to Scotland and Wales testing the Aussies and hopefully coming away with a few good results. I’d take a loss within 7 points for Scotland as a good result.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 3:24 pm

The Aussies will miss O'Connor, but have players that will man up.

Watch out, they aren't going down without a fight.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 29 May 2012, 3:25 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:

Hmmm I refer you to the aftermath of the RWC quarterfinal, people in glass houses springs to mind. kiss

OUCH! Whoaaaa, bullsbok got owned!

Bruce Lawrence vomit Run
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 3:26 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:

Bruce Lawrence vomit Run

Ye, mayeth not speaketh the word Bruceth Lawrenceth. warning
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Tue 29 May 2012, 3:32 pm

Scot Abroad wrote:Man you guys like to whinge don’t you.
You guys being who... Australians? If that's the case, what exactly have you construed as a whinge? It can't have been the part where I said that's the hand we've been dealt so there's no point complaining about it, can it?

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 3:39 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:

Bruce Lawrence vomit Run

how did i get owned ? would you like me to refer you to warbuton red card posts ? Or james hook penalty rubbish? or the far more common we were the better team on the day? kiss
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 29 May 2012, 3:42 pm

Full Credit wrote:
You guys being who... Australians? If that's the case, what exactly have you construed as a whinge? It can't have been the part where I said that's the hand we've been dealt so there's no point complaining about it, can it?

YOu must realise that only SARU provides the rest of us with a clear example of rugby integrity? A union that always acts for the greater good, where politics does not intefere with the good running of the sport, Whose players are paragons of virtue and whose fans never complain. Whistle

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 29 May 2012, 3:47 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:
Full Credit wrote:

YOu must realise that only SARU provides the rest of us with a clear example of rugby integrity? A union that always acts for the greater good, where politics does not intefere with the good running of the sport, Whose players are paragons of virtue and whose fans never complain. Whistle

Spot on there Tycroes. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 29 May 2012, 3:49 pm

biltongbek wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:
Full Credit wrote:

Spot on there Tycroes. thumbsup

Laugh

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 29 May 2012, 4:03 pm

Bullsbok wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:

Bruce Lawrence vomit Run

how did i get owned ? would you like me to refer you to warbuton red card posts ? Or james hook penalty rubbish? or the far more common we were the better team on the day? kiss

Please refer me. I think I must have missed them. Too busy shovelling my way through anti-bryce posts.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Petition-To-Stop-Bryce-Lawrence-Ever-Reffing-A-Rugby-Game-Again/286992594653732
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 29 May 2012, 4:07 pm

So the Ozzies are missing a similar number of players to both Scotland and Wales.

Game on I'd say. boxing

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 4:34 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:
TycroesOsprey wrote:
Bullsbok wrote:

Bruce Lawrence vomit Run

Please refer me. I think I must have missed them. Too busy shovelling my way through anti-bryce posts.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Petition-To-Stop-Bryce-Lawrence-Ever-Reffing-A-Rugby-Game-Again/286992594653732

Cmon you can do better than just Bryce?
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 29 May 2012, 4:49 pm

P-Divvy posts?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 29 May 2012, 4:51 pm

Morgannwg wrote:P-Divvy posts?

What about P divvy? he was a love to hate character , who entertained the masses, got us a 3 game whitewash over the all blacks,lions series , made some dodgy decisions, peed off Biltong and seemed like a generally nice guy? So what about p divvy are you referring to? Whistle
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 29 May 2012, 4:55 pm

P-Divvy made Gatland seem reserved. he was a genius, and a quote machine.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next