The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The contender (TV Series)

+6
huw
Midnight Sting
rikwebb
CMPUNKisthesaviour
John Bloody Wayne
Adam D
10 posters

Go down

The contender (TV Series) Empty The contender (TV Series)

Post by Adam D Mon 31 Jan 2011, 12:23 pm

I absolutely loved this show when it aired back in 2005.

The cinematic editing and music added to the excitement of some of the matches. The mix of Sugar Ray and Sly was really good, and the whole roster of boxers seemed to be good guys.

My question is this - has anyone gone on to anything of note since the show?

I remember Peter Manfredo getting demolished by Calzaghe (Manfredo being one of the few contestants I hated).

Out of the others, Alfonzo Gomez seemed to be a promising fighter (If a little light for the division on the show).

What happened to the champ, Sergio 'The Latin Snake' Mora? I know there is Wikipedia for these types of things but I would be itnerested to know if any of you have seen any of these guys fight.

During the actual show, my favourite fight was the Anthony Bonsante v Jesse Brinkley bout. Bonsante one the first 4 rounds of a 5 round fight before getting knocked out cold in the fifth - awesome stuff heightened by the TV production values.

Any way, over to you guys.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The contender (TV Series) Empty Re: The contender (TV Series)

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 31 Jan 2011, 12:47 pm

They should make a heavyweight one with Holyfield, just to keep him out of the ring.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by CMPUNKisthesaviour Fri 04 Feb 2011, 2:34 pm

There have actually been many fighters from the first series of The Contender that have done pretty well.

Alfonso Gomez has never managed to get a world title but he has beaten Arturo Gatti(RIP),Castillo among others.He did get a world title shot but lost to Miguel Cotto in five rounds.Has a great heart but not the most skilled fighter.

Manfredo may have got demolished by Calzaghe but he is still on the go.He is the IBO Middleweight Champion(which classes him as a world champ) but none of his opponents have been of great shakes.Other top fighters that he has faced he had ended up defeated,points to Lacy and KO'ed by Bika.Not a great fan of his if I am honest.

Mora was always the best fighter and he has been a world champion.His career has somewhat stalled but he still has the skills.His last fight was a draw with Sugar Shane Moseley that really did neither fighter any credit.Had a two fight trade-off with Vernon Forrest(RIP) where Mora captured the WBC Light Middleweight Title but then lost it in the re-match.He is actually fighting tonight at Super-Middleweight against Brian Vera( a contestant on Contender Series 3).

Ishe Smith is still fighting but is only a middle of the road fighter,Jesse Brinkely had a decent run that ended in a pulverisation from Lucian Bute at Super Middle.

Not sure about the rest of the competitors but those are the ones that I have seen in action,and out of them all Mora is still certainly the best.He is quite laid back though and seems unwilling to chase the big fights,I think he could have been big if he had of done.Gomez will keep trucking away though and could see him landing a world strap with his heart but against the top fighters he doesnt have much chance.

CMPUNKisthesaviour

Back to top Go down

Post by rikwebb Sat 05 Feb 2011, 9:57 am

Remember watching it, didn't used to have Lennox Lewis's old trainer on it at one point?

Just in case anyone doesn't want to know the Mora result from last night yet don't look below.
Spoiler:

rikwebb

Back to top Go down

Post by Midnight Sting Sun 06 Feb 2011, 10:51 am

I was a big fan of the original Contender series. Felt it lost its spark when Warren got involved with the US vs UK series though.

Both Mora and Manfredo have got themselves in the roster for the upcoming Fight Night Contender game. They must have impressed someone somewhere.

Midnight Sting

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 02 Dec 2011, 7:34 pm

just thought I would bump this thread as not many of you were on here when I made it!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:24 am

One of the guys fought ODLH. Was Steve something (two pounds was his nickname). Think it was around the Hopkins fight.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:28 am

Steve Forbes is the guy you are thinking of Huw, he also beat the once touted Francesco Bojeda, who was once considered the next big thing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:37 am

Alfonso Gomez I believe just had a world title shot against Saul Alvarez recently, was easily beaten needless to say.

Mora lost to Vera relatively recently dunno what he's done since.

Peter Manfredo just had a world title fight against JCC Jr. was going ok really showed a lot of heart and kept going but got clocked with a good right hand and then took about 50 punches with no return, apparently he's calling it a day.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:38 am

dont forget the mighty paul smith who they all billed as a next world champion

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 05 Dec 2011, 10:41 am

Smith hasn't done too bad to be fair, will never win a world title though!! Laugh

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:33 am

CMPUNKisthesaviour wrote:

Manfredo may have got demolished by Calzaghe but he is still on the go.He is the IBO Middleweight Champion(which classes him as a world champ)

not to anyone who counts it doesnt.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 05 Dec 2011, 11:44 am

rowley wrote:Steve Forbes is the guy you are thinking of Huw, he also beat the once touted Francesco Bojeda, who was once considered the next big thing.

That's him. Was a decent boxer from what I remember, just lackjing in power.

He looked out of place against ODLH though, almost like he was lucky to be there. This led to him not doing as well as he possibly could have.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down