The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lara v Martirosyan becomes WBC eliminator

5 posters

Go down

Lara v Martirosyan becomes WBC eliminator Empty Lara v Martirosyan becomes WBC eliminator

Post by manos de piedra Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:53 pm

The WBC has made the Lara v Martirosyan fight an eliminator match meaning the winner will get a shot at Saul Alvarez in 2013. With Cotto set to face Trout and Mayweathers next return to the ring uncertain, a potential Alvarez/Lara fight would be well received. With Lara/Martiroysan not scheduled until November, it is likely Alvarez will be allowed to have a voluntary fight before in 2012 before having to face the winner in 2013 sometime. Hopefully one to look forward to next year.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Lara v Martirosyan becomes WBC eliminator Empty Re: Lara v Martirosyan becomes WBC eliminator

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Bit dissapointed as I am just itching to see Alvarez and Cotto square off, hopefully if both come through there respective tests then they will.

As for Alvarez/Lara, I think there's a certain somebody out there that has been mouthing off for this fight for a while now, for Lara to get his shot. Personally I think Lara is a very good boxer and will provide a genuine and slightly different test for Alvarez he will be seriously tested by Lara, though I think he will come through. His defense against a slick counter puncher in Lara is interesting though.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Lara v Martirosyan becomes WBC eliminator Empty Re: Lara v Martirosyan becomes WBC eliminator

Post by azania Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:23 pm

I don't think they will match Lara with Saul. Lara, whilst good is unknown outside his family. Too risky and no money. Cotto will fight Saul and the WBC will not strip Saul. After that I reckon Saul will have "outgrown" the division and face Junior in a huge money fight. I imagine the WBC would have found a reason to strip whoever the belt holder is when that fight happens to install the winner a their champion and get huge sanctioning fees.

I don't believe in conspiracies either.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:32 pm

Not sure Alvarez moving up in weight is a great idea, would be obliterated in my opinion by Golovkin, and I dont think his height is all too great either for MW, combined with his slightly off defence. Is a possibility he could outgrow the LMW Division but his power, although decent I don't would travel up too well.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:42 pm

alveraz would walk over lara

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Martinez is pretty much a natural 154lber, I have no doubt in my mind, in fact I think he would actually be better at 154lbs as the power will count for more and he would be an extremely big 154lber. Massive MASSIVE task for a guy who is most certainly not a natural LMW, to take on a quick and slick powerful, very big LMW. If anybody could do it in the world right now you would point towards Mayweather, mind.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:50 pm

He handed Paul Williams a bit of beating a while back only to be robbed badly on the cards. That fight is worth a look if you were interested in watching him in action.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:52 pm

Alma, I would recommend you watch his fight with Paul Williams, granted Williams was coming off a loss against Martinez at the time, but he really did a number on Williams that night. Counter punching was very good, the straight left worked to a peach, was well and truly robbed that night, and showed fantastic boxing ability and maturity.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGcuzdm8viE Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMWOMuSuOUU&feature=relmfu Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GC8uvkNb4k&feature=relmfu Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bV0dELrYJs&feature=relmfu Part 4

Very good performance, though it must be said Williams didn't seem quite at his best, difficult to figure out whether it was Lara's awkward style or Willaism not quite there that night. Get a feeling it was Lara's style however, as Williams seems to struggle more with counter punchers.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:02 pm

i'd also back martinez to beat mayweather at 154, the power would be the edge as both are top level technicians, martinez can probably take the better shot.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:04 pm

I still think that Martinez would genuinely struggle to land against Floyd as most do. But it could be interesting as Martinez may just be able to move around on the outside and jab and force Floyd to force the fight a little more, would be a real interesting fight indeed.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:06 pm

it certainly would and would settle for me which is p4p number 1 and 2 respectively, i think martinez edges it slightly atm.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:10 pm

I would also say that it would catapult Mayweather into a without a shadow of doubt a Top Ten ATG.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:12 pm

if he did beat him then yes i'd agree, he'd be the best of this generation. same the other way though for martinez.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:16 pm

I can't say that Martinez would be a top ten ATG if he won. The quality on his record and consistency is not the same, also noting that he beat Mayweather coming towards the end of his career and he beat him in a weight class he isn't as good at. JCCjr a faded Pavlik, a never that good Dzinzuruk a great win over Williams and a disputed loss, also a loss over Margarito albeit early in his career I can't say that he deserves a top 50 place, if that's what you were insinuating. Though Mayweather would be an incredible win.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:17 pm

Martinez record or acheivements doesnt compare close to Mayweathers in my opinion. I cant see how Sergio could have a claim to be pound for pound 1 at the moment.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Also agree I would say Ward's achievements thus far also with Donaire are far higher than what Martinez has done.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:23 pm

maybe so at the moment, but beat the man to become the man, if he could beat mayweather when nobody has been close would imo mean nobody else achievements have matched his.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:39 pm

Lara has done nout to deserve a shot, 18 or so fights in, robbed Molina (the decent one, not the tin can set up for Khan) ran for the hills rather than rematch, throws everything but the kitchen sink at a over the hill Williams and can't even put him down, plus gets jobbed so has a loss on record.

Best win against Tommy Hearn's kid. There are tons of more suitable opponents out there. Lara is a nobody.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Reborn with being as nice as I can.

I think it's quite clear you have developed a feud with Az, and that has misconstrued your vision of a fighter Reborn, but fair enough. Perhaps don't be hard headed with your response?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:58 pm

Alex I admit when it comes to that wum it's a little too easy to throw him/her a bone.

But hand on my heart if you look back on previous threads what iv just said about Lara is how I rate him. I think this whole myth has been exploded ridiculous out of hand due to him being shafted in the Williams fight.

So please don't feel the need to think that anything I write has to do with dweeb as I disagree with most things it says. I made my point on Manos' topic so why do you feel the need to link what I say with another member.

Anyway bak to the topic before you derail it lol. I deeply think Lara is nothing more than a fringe level fighter. Look at his last fight for cryin out loud.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:03 pm

Ok fair enough, I just remember a while ago you never really used to go after Lara, whereas after Az was "Hyping him up" or somewhat you appeared to totally turn on him and attempt to rip him to shreds. Things like "He threw the kitchen sink at Williams and couldn't put him down" says to me that you have a bit of a vendetta against him, as when most people use one of there best performances against someone it's seems much more like they are plain and simple attempting to disrespect someone without being totally fair.

However if you say that you have no vendetta you genuinely don't think that he's top notch I have no real reason to disbelieve you, as I do like you Smile

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:08 pm

I understand you may think that but it's not just some of the comments iv seen on here, it's other forums/sites that practically hail him as the 2nd coming.

Personally, the Williams fight put him on the map, but check out the Molina fight and tell me this is the next ruler of the Light middle division or even his last fight against Hernandez. Alvarez has been hardly getting out of 2nd gear against better opponents so the difference in talent I think is obvious. For me Canelo wins easily. Just dont see anything special about Lara mate.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Most certainly I don't believe that he will clean up the LMw division, I have seen most of his fights, at least all of his ones more worth watching. I think he's a good technician and can cause certain guys like Canelo a fair few problems (At least more problems than Josesito Lopez could!!) Good timing, could exploit certain weaknesses in Canelo's defence and has good movement, reflexes, and speed.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:21 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I understand you may think that but it's not just some of the comments iv seen on here, it's other forums/sites that practically hail him as the 2nd coming.

Personally, the Williams fight put him on the map, but check out the Molina fight and tell me this is the next ruler of the Light middle division or even his last fight against Hernandez. Alvarez has been hardly getting out of 2nd gear against better opponents so the difference in talent I think is obvious. For me Canelo wins easily. Just dont see anything special about Lara mate.
Yahoo Yahoo Laugh

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down