The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The regions in steep decline?...

+10
maestegmafia
Luckless Pedestrian
Kingshu
PhilBB
Casartelli
manofgwent
offload
Artful_Dodger
thebluesmancometh
Permian1988
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The regions in steep decline?... - Page 2 Empty The regions in steep decline?...

Post by Permian1988 Sun 14 Oct 2012, 6:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

As it says in the title! Are our regions in Wales in steep decline?

Looking at the results so far this season the answer would have to be a certain, YES. The quality of rugby currently being displayed by the regions is in the realms of poor to average. Glimpses of rugby brilliance is also apparent with the Ospreys and Scarlets the clear front runners in the Welsh game.

The Ospreys started the season poorly, lacking cohesion and firepower. The pack were outmuscled and backs lacking the direction and skill set it seemed to carry out simple moves. In recent weeks the Ospreys pack has returned to the form shown at the end of last season. Adam Jones & Ryan Jones have certainly bolstered the pack and their leadership and impact has been significant in the Ospreys turnaround in performances.

Dan Biggar is finally living up to the promise shown back in 2008 at U20 level. His kicking is now accurate, handling assured, composure, discipline and attack has also vastly improved. Ashley beck is a certain international while Foutalili is in his best Ospreys form. Webb, Dirksen and Walker may also be destined for greater things? But all in good time.....

Players of real Quality: Bevington, Hibbard, A Jones, Ian Evans, Alyn Wyn Jones, R Jones, Tupuric, Foutalili, Biggar, Webb, Dirksen, Walker and Beck.

The Scarlets started the season with a bang. Their obvious strengths lie within the backs with arguably the best backline in the pro 12 and probably one of the best in the Heineken cup. Their forwards have recently been mullered by, again, possibly the best pack in the Heineken cup (Clermont). And here lies the problem. A lack of an out and out 7 & 8 with a front 5 lacking the size to challenge at the highest level.

Players of real quality: Rees, owens, Shingler, Lee, Knoyle, G Davies, Priestland, S Williams, North, L Williams, J Davies and Stoddart.

The Dragons & Blues: Easily the worst 2 welsh sides although difficult to identify exactly who? If pushed i would say the Dragons. The dragons are poorly equipped in terms of playing personnel and I feel the coaching set up lacks intelligence. Their forward pack is woeful with the obvious exceptions while their backline lacks any real talent.

Dragons Players if Quality:: Lydiate, Faletau, Lewis Evans

The Blues are simply struggling. They have a backline that could sparkle given they are relieved of injuries and are given a good platform. The forwards have been mullered several times this season with the scrum being their achilles heal.

Players of Quality:[/b] B Davies, Reed, Warbuton, pretorius, Navidi, Tovey, Roberts, Cuthbert, Halfpenny.

What I have tried to highlight is the players that can clearly live with regional rugby and may have future international honours. I am not proclaiming that I have pinpointed every player so please feel free to suggest others. But what is clear to see is the regions are in decline due to the current playing ability they have at their disposal.

In the past, Welsh regions were criticised for buying overseas players or building a galacticos. I feel Wales as a country need to reduce the amount of fully fledged regions to three, while a fourth team would consist of; academy players from all FOUR regions, future stars and some old heads to bring them on.

We need to save money and localise more welsh internations to fewer teams. It is obvious this article will upset a few people and I sympathise. I believe the Dragons are the region who have to be dropped with further investment going into the remaining three.

If we don't we will continue to suffer in the heineken cup and continue to lose our top players to foreign climbs.

Looking forward to some balanced, intelligent comments! Very Happy

Permian1988

Back to top Go down

The regions in steep decline?... - Page 2 Empty Re: The regions in steep decline?...

Post by RubyGuby Mon 15 Oct 2012, 10:15 pm

I never knew there was a voice of reason posting on here, funny that - Not so bad when its an open bit of banter though. And you are right Pete every poster on here does believe that they're always right thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

The regions in steep decline?... - Page 2 Empty Re: The regions in steep decline?...

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 15 Oct 2012, 10:19 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I never knew there was a voice of reason posting on here, funny that - Not so bad when its an open bit of banter though. And you are right Pete every poster on here does believe that they're always right thumbsup

One of the banned ones was Greyghost pretending to be Welsh ...

(the other was a banned boxing poster)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 15 Oct 2012, 10:24 pm

RubyGuby wrote:My apologies Morg - I will just be "The Voice" then. Joking aside those are my very serious views on welsh rugby - People are getting a little hysterical about success at Regional level. Irish teams won the HC for the past few years and might win again this year, would any welshman really want to swap places with their international side?. I'll take success on the bigger stage every day and IMO most welsh fans would be the same - a sense of realism is required at Regional level - Saying that the O's went and beat the HC winners in their own back yard to win the Rabo so on occasion we're having our cake and eating it thumbsup

Seeing as the voice of reason is banned, I'll just be known as.... "The Truth." He tells the truth no matter how harsh it be.

Agree with you again anyway Guby. Around this time last year it was, what a weekend for the Welsh Regions after they all got 2 wins in the opening rounds Laugh. It's about time we seen more Welsh realists on here.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 15 Oct 2012, 10:25 pm

I quite liked GG's posts, he was consistent if nothing else - shame really he had some great knowledge and insight thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2