The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Cian Healy the best loosehead prop in the world?

+5
Golden
BigTrevsbigmac
asoreleftshoulder
anotherworldofpain
hugo124
9 posters

Go down

Is Cian Healy the best loosehead prop in the world? Empty Is Cian Healy the best loosehead prop in the world?

Post by hugo124 Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:01 pm

So what makes a good prop nowadays? Well from what I see, from "the beast " and the likes, is sheer power in the scrum and a lack of mobility,intelligence and overall attributes. Healy, not only has a scrummaging ability, but is one of the best ball carriers in the northern Hemisphere. He can eat props like Dan Cole for Bricfeasta, and have time to rampage through a smashing Toulouse defence, something which every other prop in the world, would not dream of being capable of.Please don't leave comments talking about Gethin, we all now deep down, he isn't half the player .In my usually right "opinion" (fact) , Healy is Ireland's best player.

hugo124

Back to top Go down

Is Cian Healy the best loosehead prop in the world? Empty Re: Is Cian Healy the best loosehead prop in the world?

Post by anotherworldofpain Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:23 pm

I'm not sure he's the best loosehead, but he is invaluable at the breakdown with his immense upper body strength. I've never seem a prop turn over so much ball. He'd be the first name on my Lions team sheet if I were selecting. If he were just slightly more explosive he might make a great 6 with his ball carrying and defense.

anotherworldofpain

Back to top Go down

Is Cian Healy the best loosehead prop in the world? Empty Re: Is Cian Healy the best loosehead prop in the world?

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:31 pm

Jeez the way this article is worded is a horrible WUM but he's up there.

I'm biased being a Leinster fan but I feel he'll take over BoDs mantle as being our most important player,he's still young and has taken his beatings in the scrum.He learnt from them and now is rarely beaten.

I can't wait to see him when he's 28-30 and in his absolute prime,the only worry I'd have is he picks up a lot of knocks in games,prop is such a tough position.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 24 Nov 2012, 12:38 pm

He was outplayed by Corbs in this years 6Ns but I rate him highly. Should be in the running with a few others for the Lions without a doubt.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/mar/17/england-ireland-six-nations-ratings

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sat 24 Nov 2012, 1:02 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:He was outplayed by Corbs in this years 6Ns but I rate him highly. Should be in the running with a few others for the Lions without a doubt.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/mar/17/england-ireland-six-nations-ratings

Yep he didn't have a great game although there were some mitigating circumstances.

The thing that impresses me most about Healy though is that I wouldn't expect the same thing to happen next time they meet.He has been beaten up in the scrums plenty of times in his career but as he gets more experienced it happens less and less,he has shown a capacity to learn and adapt his scrummaging depending on who he is up against.

That said Cole is an excellent TH too (could well be the Lions starter) so I don't expect Healy to start dominating him next time I just think he'll get a little closer to parity each time he plays him.As an example you can see how he has learnt to deal with Adam Jones,he got a few beatings from him but improved slightly each time and was very solid on their last meeting in the 6N.

Last edited by asoreleftshoulder on Sat 24 Nov 2012, 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 24 Nov 2012, 1:08 pm

Yes

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 24 Nov 2012, 1:10 pm

He's definitely penciled in for that Lions XV. I'm not sure why Corbs is rated so highly. Healy, Woodcock and the Beast are certainly the best in the world.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 24 Nov 2012, 1:15 pm

I think Woodcock is better.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by kunu Sat 24 Nov 2012, 1:18 pm

he was out scrummed by cole last year, but year before corbs and cole were taken to the cleaners https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIyQTGbSfEc
kunu
kunu

Back to top Go down

Post by kunu Sat 24 Nov 2012, 1:22 pm

woodcock made no inroads into irish scrum over summer, and in my opinion doesn't offer nearly as much as healy in the loose
kunu
kunu

Back to top Go down

Post by kunu Sat 24 Nov 2012, 1:29 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOPBwC0ZITs not many props have these!
kunu
kunu

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 24 Nov 2012, 3:25 pm

If you take into account what he offers in the loose and at the breakdown in terms of being like another fetcher in addition to the principle purpose of a loosehead prop - scrummaging ability - I think he is the best. He was Ireland's best player in the series against NZ and was targeted in the 3rd which is a sign of respect. Definitely should be in the Lions.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down