The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England must protect James Anderson in the 2013 Ashes tests

+12
alfie
liverbnz
Jetty
skyeman
Shelsey93
msp83
VTR
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Liam
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Stella
gboycottnut
16 posters

Go down

England must protect James Anderson in the 2013 Ashes tests Empty England must protect James Anderson in the 2013 Ashes tests

Post by gboycottnut Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:23 pm

With a bizarre and almost crazy, demanding schedule of home and away ashes tests series to be played in 2013, England's coaches have to find a way to protect and wrap James Anderson in cotton wool during the test matches, because if he gets injured England really will be up the duff as the other bowlers like Bresnan and Broad don't look good enough at present of performing as England's main strike bowler.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

England must protect James Anderson in the 2013 Ashes tests Empty Re: England must protect James Anderson in the 2013 Ashes tests

Post by Stella Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:26 pm

He is our main man alright. They are resting him from the upcoming ODI's in India, so there's a start and that may be the best way to go.

I wasn't keen on him having a rest last summer against the West Indies.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

England must protect James Anderson in the 2013 Ashes tests Empty Re: England must protect James Anderson in the 2013 Ashes tests

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:57 pm

Theres also such a thing as underbowling him. The Ashes isnt the only comeptition or format that matter seither.

But yes all England players need their workloads managed, as happens (as pointed out above, he is missing some games already)

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 pm

Well he won't be playing in the ODI series vs India I hope, and not in NZ either. That'll give him some much needed time off.

In NZ, i'd like to see us go with this side:

1. Cook
2. Compton
3. Trott
4. KP
5. Bell
6. Root
7. Prior
8. Swann
9. Anderson
10. Finn
11. Onions

I think on seaming pitches, Onions has to play, he will be a handful and I think he deserves another go in the Test arena. He was unlucky to lose out on it in the first place and his wicket to wicket bowling will be a deadly weapon for England.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:27 pm

Think I could live with that team, Liam!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Anderson's officially been rested for the rest of the Indian tour http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/20765999

England may well need him in NZ - NZ's strongest point is it's seam attack, so expect the pitches to be tailored accordingly.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Yeah thats the realistic team to start with. Theres a lot of talk about Cook becoming all formats capatin, which will stuff Broad fully.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:58 pm

I expect him to play in NZ. As I said on another thread yesterday, he has Botham's records in his sights and will want to take every opportunity to pick up Test wickets.

He was not best pleased when left our of the 3rd Test vs Windies in the summer remember. And vs. NZ he would expect to take quite a few wickets (with all respect to Pete and his team!)

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Wouldn't have a problem with that. Think Broad has been pretty ordinary since the SA series and even worse vs India. Thing is his batting has been pretty average also, which sometimes could save him from a poor bowling performance, bit like Bresnan recently. But when the batting doesn't help you out, your bowling performance is even more scrutinized. Time for the old saying of bowlers take you wickets, batters make the runs.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:55 pm

i like the idea of resting anderson however too much emphasis is placed on the ashes at the moment! We do play other sides beside australia, so we shouldnt always be focusing on that..

im glad he's rested for india, him and trott!!! I hope he plays in NZ odi's as well as tests, he will be potent on them wickets.

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 pm

I did mention during the World T-20 that perhaps Cook should open in T-20Is as well and should in turn lead the side. I said that because England were struggling big time with that opening position in that tournament. Cook isn't the flashiest batsman on the planet, but he had already proved himself as a quality ODI players much against expectations and his domestic T-20 record isn't bad.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:45 pm

Anderson obviously needs careful management, but over-management can also be counter-productive. Australia pioneered regular resting of playing, and still use it more than anyone, yet have a bunch of crocked fast bowlers in any case.

He'll almost certainly tour NZ and play until the series is won. If we go 2-0 up he might get rested for the 3rd. I'd like us to play our best team at home v NZ and almost always in Tests. I'd have quite liked him to play the India ODIs (and rest for the NZ ODIs) as we're getting dangerously close to a B-team in India.

CF, I think not focusing so much on the Ashes has been something we've done well in the last couple of years. A few years ago even the India tour would have been built up in the context of the Ashes. Now its been given the prestige it deserves to have in its own right. But over the next year of so we play 15 Tests, and 10 of them are Ashes. That has to be the primary focus right now.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:25 pm

I wrote this topic based on what England can do to keep and protect Anderson from any serious injury DURING the home ashes tests in the summer and then DURING the ashes tests away from home in the winter, as Anderson will be the key strike bowler for England with the new ball. It really has been a huge shift in the strengths of the England side. Just a year and a half ago England's biggest strength was in the pace bowling department. Now it is the batting that is England's biggest strength.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:54 pm

gboycottnut wrote:I wrote this topic based on what England can do to keep and protect Anderson from any serious injury DURING the home ashes tests in the summer and then DURING the ashes tests away from home in the winter, as Anderson will be the key strike bowler for England with the new ball. It really has been a huge shift in the strengths of the England side. Just a year and a half ago England's biggest strength was in the pace bowling department. Now it is the batting that is England's biggest strength.

I don't know. I agree that the pace bowling is less strong than a year ago on current form, but the other areas were always strong too.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Does the best performer/player in any sport ever, and i mean ever want to be left out against any opposition? Of course not.

But can they maintain their form when they come back.?

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:23 am

I think Anderson has to have a fair amount of bowling. After a few months off he only bowled 30 overs before the 1st Test. He needs at least 60 overs to get into rhythm and the more he bowled in the series the better he got. He is used to playing 14 Tests a year. Wrapping him up in cotton wool is more likely to bring injuries and loss of form and confidence.

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:35 am

England are going to have a pretty inexperienced attack in the ODi series. No Anderson, Broad or Swann and Finn is currently injured.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:41 am

I think Broad is available?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:08 am

Hes gone home injured, and may lose the captaincy of the T20 team to Cook on a semi-permanent basis.
That couldleave him needing to prove his worth in County cricket to even get selected for squads in the summer.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:13 am

He's still in the squad for the 50 over games though, meaning he could still play. I wouldn't though. No point.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:19 am

Morgan is the T20 captain for the India series. Broad is not listed in the ODi squad with either the BBC or cricinfo although I'm fairly certain he'll be back in the team come New Zealand if he isn't fit for India.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:21 am

liverbnz wrote:Morgan is the T20 captain for the India series. Broad is not listed in the ODi squad with either the BBC or cricinfo although I'm fairly certain he'll be back in the team come New Zealand if he isn't fit for India.

I thought he was in the 50 over squad? My mistake.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:30 am

Oh missed the news about Morgan, last Id heard they were seriously pushing the joint captaincy again.

Regardless England are short of experienced bowlers, which is good news for Bresnan if not the team.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:31 am

Broad is in the ODI squad, but only for the last 2 games (if fit I'd like him to play the whole series now). As I say, we are getting close to a bit of a B-team here, particularly as I can't see Finn being risked either.

Morgan was appointed T20 vice-captain a year or so ago, but whenever Broad's been unavailable there's been no Morgan either. Hence Swann doing it a few times.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:33 am

Shelsey93 wrote:Broad is in the ODI squad, but only for the last 2 games (if fit I'd like him to play the whole series now). As I say, we are getting close to a bit of a B-team here, particularly as I can't see Finn being risked either.

Morgan was appointed T20 vice-captain a year or so ago, but whenever Broad's been unavailable there's been no Morgan either. Hence Swann doing it a few times.

Will that not change to all five now Jimmy has been rested?

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:33 am

Stella wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:Broad is in the ODI squad, but only for the last 2 games (if fit I'd like him to play the whole series now). As I say, we are getting close to a bit of a B-team here, particularly as I can't see Finn being risked either.

I hope so. Broad has had two Tests and the T20s off anyway. He might be injured though.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:43 am

Given the reports earlier in the week that Broad was essentrialy a knackered nag andc being sent to the glue factory for a "well deserved rest" id be surprised to see him rushed back in India unless thinsg are going horribly wrong

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:22 pm

Even though this is just a routine non-WC series of ODIs and hence not that important , it will be a pity if the England attack becomes too much of a B team...or even C ...
However there are a few players on the fringes of the team and it surely can't hurt to put a bit of responsibility on them for a change. Brennan still provides experience , Meaker and Dermbach , and now Harris can have a go ...certainly I am happy to play either Broad or Finn as long as they are definitely over their injuries , but if there is any doubt , don't take a risk.
In any case these games may turn into high scoring affairs in which the seam bowlers are basically fodder (not to prejudge the pitches , but...)

As to the thread title I very much agree Anderson should be looked after carefully. Missing the Indian ODI s is a fine start , but I would imagine he'll take a full part in NZ. Once he gets home for the English summer I'd be making sure he doesn't play any more than he needs to outside the Tests. Haven't looked to see how many ODI a are scheduled in 2013 but that is where I see Jimmy having some chances to rest.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Very excited to see how James Harris does playing in the senior England team in these couple of T20 matches V India. For many years now Harris has been one of the most exciting pace bowlers in England and it is a well deserved recognition for his hard work and achievement that he has made it into an England team. He could be England's answer to what James Pattinson gives to the Australians and that is a a young quick bowler who has raw pace.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:39 pm

...and a very good record in first class but mediocre T20 one.

So its a no brainer which format hed get picked for Rolling Eyes

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:34 pm

As a Glamorgan fan I can tell you I am not looking forward to seeing Harris in the T20 international arena. You never know he may prove us wrong but honestly for me, he is not an ODI player in county or international matches YET.

He is a superb county bowler and for me, looks like the ready replacement for when Anderson eventually retires. He'll be bowling in division 1 next season so he'll be bowling against better opposition but we've seen already that he can get some of the best batsmen out, such as when he played against the Aussies recently for the Lions.

My T20 team would be:

1. Hales
2. Root
3. Wright
4. Morgan (c)
5. Bairstow (wk)
6. Buttler
7. Patel
8. Bresnan
9. Briggs
10. Meaker
11. Dernbach

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisss Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:...and a very good record in first class but mediocre T20 one.

So its a no brainer which format hed get picked for Rolling Eyes

Same as Chris Woakes really . I guess England want to introduce potential Test players to international cricket via one dayers and t20 first.

Liam wrote:

My T20 team would be:

1. Hales
2. Root
3. Wright
4. Morgan (c)
5. Bairstow (wk)
6. Buttler
7. Patel
8. Bresnan
9. Briggs
10. Meaker
11. Dernbach

Root played fantastically well in the final test vs India, but I don't see how scoring 70 off 200 balls (along with a mediocre domestic t20 record) means he's moved ahead of Michael Lumb in the t20 pecking order.

chrisss

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:06 pm

http://blogs.espncricinfo.com/diffstrokes/archives/2012/12/how_to_keep_fast_bowlers_in_th.php

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:27 pm

I don't rate Lumb anyway. Root should play IMO. Ideally, I'd like Cook/Prior and KP to open in my first choice T20 XI.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:28 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
Stella wrote:

I hope so. Broad has had two Tests and the T20s off anyway. He might be injured though.
I'd question whethe Broad deserves his place in the side on merit.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:28 pm

Liam wrote:

My T20 team would be:

1. Hales
2. Root
3. Wright
4. Morgan (c)
5. Bairstow (wk)
6. Buttler
7. Patel
8. Bresnan
9. Briggs
10. Meaker
11. Dernbach

Root played fantastically well in the final test vs India, but I don't see how scoring 70 off 200 balls (along with a mediocre domestic t20 record) means he's moved ahead of Michael Lumb in the t20 pecking order.[/quote]

Because I have yet to see Lumb offer anything since the world cup over 2 years ago which to me suggests he should be in the side. He was ordinary in the last t20 series vs SA and is for me, too old and England need to be looking, as they are doing with the bowlers, bring new young batters through and Root, who can play his shots, deserves a go, especially as he's been playing on these wickets for the past month, scoring runs on wickets which are hard for stroke making.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:46 pm

In England selection logic its exactly because his domestic record is poor that hes been put in the T20 squad.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:09 pm

In England and in time I reckon Broad should be good enough
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisss Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:15 pm

Liam wrote:
Liam wrote:

My T20 team would be:

1. Hales
2. Root
3. Wright
4. Morgan (c)
5. Bairstow (wk)
6. Buttler
7. Patel
8. Bresnan
9. Briggs
10. Meaker
11. Dernbach

Root played fantastically well in the final test vs India, but I don't see how scoring 70 off 200 balls (along with a mediocre domestic t20 record) means he's moved ahead of Michael Lumb in the t20 pecking order.

Because I have yet to see Lumb offer anything since the world cup over 2 years ago which to me suggests he should be in the side. He was ordinary in the last t20 series vs SA and is for me, too old and England need to be looking, as they are doing with the bowlers, bring new young batters through and Root, who can play his shots, deserves a go, especially as he's been playing on these wickets for the past month, scoring runs on wickets which are hard for stroke making.

You mean the series where he only played 1 game? He had a good domestic t20 season (252 runs @ 36, s/r 138) and he scored 82* in the t20 Champions League final. I'm big believer in consistency of selction and since he was picked in World Cup squad he deserves a run in the team imo.

chrisss

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Lumb actually isnt that bad by this squads standards:

Averages T20 (domestic)
Morgan 36 (25)
Hales 32 (27)
Wright 19 (26)
Lumb 19 ( 23)
Patel 18 (25)
Bairstow 18 (18)
Buttler 13 (22)
Bresnan 11 (16)
Dernbach 8 (5)

Root na (21)
Meaker na (13)
Harris na (12)
Tredwell na (12)
Briggs na (5)

Morgan is the only batsman whos really secured a long term place. Hales is the only other not to have a poor international batting record, albeit from a handful of games...but i guess the lack of competition mackes him a secure pick for now...and really he should be getting a sniff round the ODI side too. Wright should play having finally shown he might actually be capable at this level, maybe hes turned a corner ..lets see.
After that theres a bunch of kids and an old man with big reputations for devastating innings, and little to actually back it up.

Root Lumb question...do you go for the guy with plenty of experience underperforming and losing or try and wreck Cooks long term test replacement?

Really without KP England continue to look light in this format. They dont even have the bowlers to pressure sides either. The odds are pretty short on India to win these games.

Is it just me that finds it a little odd that England have 3 keepers for different formats?
I dont really get the logic of Bairstow keeping in T20s when he isnt a great keeper and has a sh1te record of batting in that format...yet he has an excellent first class batting record and can only get in the test side when the rest of the world isnt available.
And whatever happened to James Taylor...arguably the best English batsman across all 3 formats domestically in the last few years, 2 tests one ODI and a thanks but no thanks.

Its time for some of the guys like Buttler, Bairstow and Lumb to prove they are worth a spot in this squad.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:38 am

We have a long queue of bowlers

1 Anderson (30)
2 Finn (23)
3 Broad (26)
4 Tremlett (31)
5 Bresnan (27)
6 Onions (30)
7 Meaker (23)
8 Dernbach (26)
9 Woakes (23)
10 Shahzad (27)
11 Harris (22)
12 Brooks (28)
13 Rankin (28)
14 Buck (21)
15 Roland-Jones (24)
16 Wright (27)
17 Coles (22)
18 Mills (20)
19 Topley (18)
20 Dunn (20)

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down