The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tredwell and Swann...

+4
VTR
Shelsey93
alfie
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
8 posters

Go down

Tredwell and Swann... Empty Tredwell and Swann...

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:28 pm

...is it viable to play both of these in the same ODI side?

Or are they too samey, especially given the lack of variation in England seam bowling and further right arm orthodox available from Root.

They are Englands best wicket taking bowlers in ODIs.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Tredwell and Swann... Empty Re: Tredwell and Swann...

Post by alfie Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:35 pm

Perhaps too similar to use regularly ...but in sub-continental conditions I should think there would be times they'd do well together.

Love to have Swann to put on right now Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:38 pm

From now on I suspect they will be used together when they want to play two spinners(until recently, Patel was considered the second spinner).

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:45 pm

Yes they should have played together here if we were serious about winning the series. We're effectively playing with 2 bowlers so unless the batsmen make 320ish like in the first match we will almost certainly lose.

Not that bothered about this series saying that, so if resting allows better performances in Tests so be it. Think we would have won the series though with an attack containing Finn, Broad, Swann and Tredwell.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:03 am

I read that the New Zealand ODI series is seen as more important, as the World Cup will be (co-)hosted in New Zealand, and it's important to get our top ODI team playing out there. I think only Pietersen is rested for that series, although Root is off captaining the Lions in Australia. Hopefully common sense can prevail and Root can be switched in for the out-of-form Morgan or Patel.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Thu 24 Jan 2013, 2:30 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:...is it viable to play both of these in the same ODI side?

Or are they too samey, especially given the lack of variation in England seam bowling and further right arm orthodox available from Root.

They are Englands best wicket taking bowlers in ODIs.

I was thinking the same thing. Often we wish Swann had more overs. I don't think it has to be sub-continental pitches. I would play them in all countries. Swann econ 4.47 and Tredwell 4.87.

Anderson, Finn, Broad, Swann and Tredwell.

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu 24 Jan 2013, 8:40 am

For me, it doesn't make a difference that they are quite similar. They are both effective (unlike Patel) and that's the most important thing.

Root will eventually be taken apart by someone and his bowliing will become less of an option - right about the time he will turn from hero to zero on v2 and everyone will be calling for him to be dropped.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:41 am

Actually I don't think root is in th nz limited overs squads. Trotting will probably take is place anyway.

Is a batting line up with butter broad swann tredwell Anderson Finn not putting undue pressure on the front 5 to preserve wickets? 3 right arm steamers and 2 right arm orthodox spinners doesn't exactly give cook options, and the support from trott and kp is occasional atbbest.

It's annoying you can only pick from what you've got. Patel wonder innings appears to be misleading as to his real prowess, whilst you can't expect a finisher to come off all the time twice a series would be nice. In the bowling England need wickets, and it's proper bowlers who get those.

If broad and Morgan can find form there's potential in that line up as well as obvious
Flaws

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 28 Jan 2013, 9:41 pm

I agree we should consider playing Swann and Tredwell in same side more often. I think arguments about having to go for variety have less validity in ODIs. If your best economy bowlers are spinners, I would say more often than not that's what you should select.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down