The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland Fans' 2014 6N of hell Post-mortem

+61
TJ
Blueschief
yappysnap
Hookisms and Hyperbole
highland_scot
aucklandlaurie
Allty
EST
lostinwales
albaook
Pal Joey
SecretFly
blindsided
tigertattie
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RuggerRadge2611
captain carrantuohil
geoff998rugby
fa0019
ChequeredJersey
majesticimperialman
flyhalffactory
Argybargy
poddy89
R!skysports
ghad
21st Century Schizoid Man
nickj
Majestic83
Steffan
Tattie Scones RRN
cakeordeath
jimbopip
reallybored
MacKnocked-on
BigGee
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Captain_Sensible
Nematode
IanBru
Shifty
madmaccas
George Carlin
Heuer27
awisepenguin
GunsGerms
san
Scratch
glamorganalun
Tramptastic
beshocked
Geordie
RDW
Notch
The Saint
GLove39
EWT Spoons
GloriousEmpire
kiakahaaotearoa
Breadvan
65 posters

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Scotland Fans' 2014 6N of hell Post-mortem - Page 15 Empty Scotland Fans' 2014 6N of hell Post-mortem

Post by Guest Sat 14 Dec 2013, 7:40 am

First topic message reminder :

EDIT March 18th post-Scotland's capitulation to Wales

So, it's the end of the six nations. I have to say the intention of this early prediction thread was to calm all suppositions that Scotland might be anywhere near a threat this year. I have maintained that things look better with Cotter coming in (and hopefully not having to resort to 5th/6th choice wings, though that couldn't have been predicted).

Someone pointed out that in this last game if Wales had received the red card the scoreline would not have been the same in reverse. In fact I would be very worried that we still would have lost. To me it feels like it was an excuse to put the heads down/give Johnson the farewell he deserves.

Personally, I am lost for words. Not really sure where to go from here.

Anyone?

EDIT March 8th post-Scotland's capitulation to France.

Come hither one and all and we shall drink our sorrows away...

EDIT February 8th post-Scotland's capitulation to England & Ireland

I was right all along.

I got this in early because I did not want to see anybody from any nation suggest for any minute that Scotland has a chance of doing anything other than :

a) Cleaning their dirties in a smeg [White Wash]
b) Making lots of soup this winter [wooden spoon]
c) Scraping a win against Italy , in the dying seconds after a urine poor performance , which still might result in "b)" anyway.

No they did not beat Ireland. warning 
No they did not beat England. warning
No they did not beat France. warning 
No they did not beat Wales. warning 

They might *look* like they are going to win to any outsiders no privy to the Scotland set up, but I guarantee you no sensible Scottish fan will be expecting anything but a, b & c this season.

Why?

• We have an interim coach (for over a year!!!)who is more worried about what he says on camera than apparently coaching a sensible game plan
  • Our breakdown is awful
  • We have the psychological hardness of my nan - you don't know my nan but that's not good
  • Our best players are either never played in position, not allowed to play in the XXIII at all, or are just awful at the moment. Not making the injury excuse because frankly it doesn't apply with exception of 2 key players that might be back in time. Happens in every squad
  • etc, etc (feel free to add to this list)

So look, when we are compiling our 6N predictions this year, can we just for once all agree on something?

1. AN Other
2. AN Other
3. AN Other
4. AN Other
5. Maybe Scotland
6. Probably Scotland

Anyone mentions "dark horses" and "Scotland" in the same sentence without a negation clause in there somewhere (and you KNOW what I mean) I am getting our the knuckle dusters  boxing heart Braveheart

Last edited by Ineffable on Sat 15 Mar 2014, 8:53 pm; edited 5 times in total

Back to top Go down

Scotland Fans' 2014 6N of hell Post-mortem - Page 15 Empty Re: Scotland Fans' 2014 6N of hell Post-mortem

Post by Blueschief Sun 16 Mar 2014, 2:38 pm

Apparently it's a genetic quirk that all sons are taller than their mothers. So ye need your biggest Scotsmen mating with women taller than themselves.....

Just a thought but would London Scottish work as an extra side in the pro12 for you?

Blueschief

Back to top Go down

Scotland Fans' 2014 6N of hell Post-mortem - Page 15 Empty Re: Scotland Fans' 2014 6N of hell Post-mortem

Post by yappysnap Sun 16 Mar 2014, 2:48 pm

What ever happened to Visser? He was quality at one time but didn't feature all 6N's.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 16 Mar 2014, 2:53 pm

Broke his leg before Christmas. As excuses go, we'll let him off.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 16 Mar 2014, 2:55 pm

tigertattie wrote:Hold on. Why can't we men go make with blond saffa girls and exotic kiwi girls?
That's a fully fledged barsteward of a good point. Yahoo
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sun 16 Mar 2014, 2:56 pm

I'm not fully with you on the idea that we don't have the resources. Gla/Edi both have nearly 60 players on their books so you could re-distribute some players. Also, you'd have income from ticket fares/advertising. Given Glasgow have Cusiter, Pyrgos, Matawalu, Price and Edinburgh have Laidlaw, Hidalgo clyne, Hart, Kennedy, Black ( so 9), don't you think a squad can manage with 3 SH's? We haven't seen Price or Black so far, and very little of HC & Kennedy.

We currently employ Lineen as a talent scout and u20 coach, so why can't he take on coaching a 3rd pro team?

TBH I think there's a bit of a myth about finance. I'm sure a pro Border team could regularly attract 2000+ crowds and if the team featured more inexperienced cheaper players, it is doable.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sun 16 Mar 2014, 2:57 pm

Or we could have an SRU colony in NZ!

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Mar 2014, 3:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Broke his leg before Christmas. As excuses go, we'll let him off.
 laughing 

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 16 Mar 2014, 3:41 pm

I've said it before - Richie gray needs to go out to stud.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun 16 Mar 2014, 3:43 pm

Richie Grays mum and dad need to give Richie and Johnny a couple of brothers.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sun 16 Mar 2014, 3:45 pm

Guys, the third pro team is a great idea in principle - but a pro team is at the top of the pyramid, we haven't even begun to build a solid base yet, you only have to look at the U 20's to see that. Hell, we are yet to make the two pro teams we have truly successful. It's a long term objective, for sure, but let's get our priorities right.

1) I would start with kicking the ar*es of whoever it is that is stopping a unified youth setup: clubs, private schools, whoever - threaten to withdraw funding if that's what it's going to take. The fact that the we don't have a joined up youth set up is a terrible indictment of our game.

2) District Officers, employed by clubs to grow playing numbers, are currently paid very little on short term contracts - but they play a key role in encouraging the uptake of Rugby in schools, especially in the non traditional areas. Remove Johnson from his Cushy DoR role (and some of the complete dead wood clogging up the benches at Edinburgh currently) and use that as a starting fund to increase the DO's wages and contract lengths so that there is some stability in that profession.

Cotter will do what he can with our pro team, but our problems lie way deeper.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sun 16 Mar 2014, 3:49 pm

We cloned Dolly the sheep. Can we not in 2014 clone a Gray or two?

Scotland Fans' 2014 6N of hell Post-mortem - Page 15 Cloned-sheep_1691358c

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 16 Mar 2014, 7:49 pm

I don't see a size issue with the Scots players at all. The forwards are a strong bunch, they just don't play as a unit, and we are completely unstreetwise at the breakdown and contact area.

This is more disappointing than the Williams and Hadden eras, because we have so many better players to choose from. I'm confident we'll see big improvement under Cotter, and quite quickly as well. We are so much better than this.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 16 Mar 2014, 8:08 pm

As a very wise man once said, "Everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die".
Obviously this Six Nations was all about us learning painful lessons which will stand us in good stead for the upcoming World Cup.
So, here's what we've learned;
Cusiter plays at a faster tempo and with more urgency and control than Laidlaw.
Ford is a very unreliable lineout thrower.
Ford isn't capable of hooking the ball consistently.
Max Evans is almost, but not quite, good enough for international rugby.
Dougie Fife, at present, is our fourth or fifth choice winger.
If you play without a number 7 you will make lots of tackles but lose ground because the opposition will keep possession and eventually cross the gain line often enough to score a try.
If the above happens regularly you will lose the game.
Duncan Weir being a less talented and creative footballer than Jackson does not somehow endow him with better game management, and pressurised decision making.
Moray Low has had a dip in form over the last year and is no longer seen as an integral part of the Glasgow set up.
Greg Laidlaw has had a dip in form over the last year and is no longer seen as an integral part of the Edinburgh set up.
Toonie never, ever, selects Ryan Wilson at 6 for a good reason.

Now obviously none of us, not even Schiz, knew any of the above back in January. This has been , without a shadow of a doubt, a very successful tournament since it has allowed us to learn so much so quickly. After the World Cup when we have applied the hard earned knowledge we now possess we will all look back on this day as a glorious one, the first step on the road to enlightenment.

All hail the wise one
all hail the smiling ocker
all hail His Rabness.
All hail the Director of Scottish Rugby  who will help us to learn so many more lessons.

Last edited by jimbopip on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 16 Mar 2014, 10:09 pm

It's our youth set up we need to look at. It will take 10 years or so to reap the rewards.

Our domestic league needs to become a higher quality. The only way to do this is to improve the numbers and quality of our youngsters. Edinburgh and Glasgow should then be the cream of the crop. There should be a pool of 50 players who are all elite and should be able to play in the dark blue. This pool will be chosen based on form.

We need to build from the bottom up. Players like me should get nowhere near a prem 1,2 or 3 club because the standard should be so much higher. The step up to pro rugby would then be easier.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 16 Mar 2014, 10:13 pm

Jimbopip, excellent post!

New lows indeed, but it's not like Vern Cotter doesn't have talent at his disposal. Keep faith.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:56 am

The game for me was irrelevant. Hogg was stupid and reckless, however Wales would have won that game anyway, from the start they looked dangerous and threatening.

after Hogg was given his marching orders they ruthlessly exposes our lack of full back. They were damn good on Saturday.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 1:16 am; edited 2 times in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 1:15 am

Just to spoil the looking forward to the future mood, saw this on the Scotsman site tonight

Scotsman wrote:SCOTLAND’S rugby players expect Scott Johnson to retain a coaching role with the national side when he moves into his permanent role of director of rugby...  he is keen to remain part of Cotter’s management team and continue in both roles for this summer’s tour and through to the World Cup, which would effectively put Cotter in a situation where he is issuing instructions to the man he reports to.

SJ "Oi Fearne, what's this nonsense?"
VC "Nonsense? And look we've spoken about this, the Fearne thing really isn't funny"
SJ "Your team, you daft Aussie, you've picked a proper openside. That'll never do.
VC Erm 
SJ "Let me handle this, see 3 number 8's. Now isn't that better?"

vomit

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:07 am

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/players-expect-scott-johnson-to-keep-coaching-1-3342776

Shocked

SCOTLAND’S rugby players expect Scott Johnson to retain a coaching role with the national side when he moves into his permanent role of director of rugby, despite the fact he has overseen a series of wounding results as head coach.

On Saturday, Scotland endured their most embarrassing defeat in the RBS Six Nations, a seven-try, 51-3 defeat to Wales.

That left them with an overall points concession of 138 for the championship, compared with a modest aggregate of 47 of their own – the lowest of the six competing nations.

Johnson agreed to take over the team temporarily after Andy Robinson quit in 2012, but was asked to stay in charge for another year when new coach Vern Cotter failed to secure release from his club contract with Clermont Auvergne.

Johnson had by then agreed to take over as SRU director of rugby, a position he has held alongside that of Scotland coach. However, he is keen to remain part of Cotter’s management team and continue in both roles for this summer’s tour and through to the World Cup, which would effectively put Cotter in a situation where he is issuing instructions to the man he reports to. Greig Laidlaw, who has captained Scotland underneath Johnson and took over as skipper in Saturday’s humbling in Cardiff after Kelly Brown suffered an early head injury, insisted that the players wanted Johnson to stay on the coaching staff.

Laidlaw said: “The players definitely like Scott and he has brought a different edge to us in the way we play and train, and some of the performances we’ve put in while he’s been in charge.

“As a group of players we’re disappointed to almost let him go [as head coach] with this one [performance against Wales]. We’re gutted at how this turned out and we have to look forward now to the summer tour, but Johnno will still be involved in that even with the crossover of Vern coming, and we have to look forward and pick it up from there.”

Johnson finishes with a record of five Test wins in 16 and this tournament with statistics that read one win, snatched in the dying seconds against Italy, four tries scored and 15 conceded, and the worst discipline record of all six teams.

In blooding 16 new caps, Johnson said from the start this his year at the helm would be more about developing a stronger squad to help Scotland’s bid to be competitive and consistent leading into the 2015 World Cup, where the realistic target is to return to the quarter-finals after the 2011 pool exit, but the SRU have set the aim of a trophy win.

“There’s no doubt I’d have liked to have finished it better,” he acknowledged.

“I’m a bit sore. I’ll worry about that [championship review] later.

“It was a difficult game for them [Scotland players]. You look for your major callers and the thrust, and we lost Hoggy [Stuart Hogg, who was sent off], as a strike-runner as well. Players are looking around for a bit of spark and he provides that, so it [red card] was a double blow.

“We saw things against Wales that they need to improve on under pressure, but when some of them haven’t played much at this level and are still learning, and you throw a different situation at them, then they’re going to make mistakes, and they did.”

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:30 am

Can somebody simplify this for those who are less intelligent, the use of images or sock puppets might help.

are we saying Vern Cotter will just be a puppet of Scott Johnson?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:38 am

I'd like to see what happens if SJ does treat Cotter like his puppet, I can't see that going down well, but in terms of who is in charge I'm not sure.

Is the DoR the boss of the head coach, or do they both report to Dodson? Does it matter, if Cotter is left to do what he is being paid to do and hasn't got other people trying to influence him?

I don't care how the governance works as long as we're getting results on the pitch.

Has the arrival of a new coach ever been met with so much hope and expectation? I think we maybe have to lower our expectations a bit and not get too carried away.  He is obviously a top class head coach, but let's face it his Clermont team could beat this current Scotland in 2nd gear. The players and resources available to him are currently greater than what Scotland has to offer. He may be a great coach but until the tools at his disposal get better, there is a limit to what he can do.

My target for Cotter over the the next year? Be competitive in every single game. Whether it is the USA or the All Blacks, we need to play our best every single game.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:44 am

Feel bad for Scotland. However, remember Cotter is coming and a new coach can make a massive difference. Ireland and France finished bottom last year and both contended the chsmpionship this year.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 9:19 am

Just read the Scotsman articles this morning, the alarming thing for me is Laidlaw's assumption he will be on the summer tour. I think this shows an attitude/over confidence problem on his part (and possibly the wider squad), on current form he should not be taking selection for granted and I don't think players from some other countries would expect to be automatically picked if they had been playing so poorly themselves.
Speaking of good mental attitude; Iain Morrison in today's Scotsman asks why the SRU haven't been on the phone to Danny Brough to see if he fancies a shot at Union. I said this when watching Scotland's excellent Rugby League World Cup campaign, he and Matty Russell (and several more) would be very welcome additions to the union squad and would certainly improve the overall mental strength and will to win. As Morrison points out, Brough has all the skills to play 9 or 10 and has one of the best kicking games (both from the tee and hand) that you will see anywhere (he scored 9 kicks at goal this weekend and set up several tries). Obviously all he, and Russell, lack is experience of union but they have the undoubted skill and talent to make it. Come on SRU, sort it out.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 17 Mar 2014, 9:38 am

MacKnocked-on wrote:
Speaking of good mental attitude; Iain Morrison in today's Scotsman asks why the SRU haven't been on the phone to Danny Brough to see if he fancies a shot at Union. I said this when watching Scotland's excellent Rugby League World Cup campaign, he and Matty Russell (and several more) would be very welcome additions to the union squad and would certainly improve the overall mental strength and will to win. As Morrison points out, Brough has all the skills to play 9 or 10 and has one of the best kicking games (both from the tee and hand) that you will see anywhere (he scored 9 kicks at goal this weekend and set up several tries). Obviously all he, and Russell, lack is experience of union but they have the undoubted skill and talent to make it. Come on SRU, sort it out.    

The SRU seem quite keen at importing players for the SH, so it seems strange to me, in an effort to increase our numbers we haven't approached these people.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Mar 2014, 9:47 am

Let's not all get so carried away with "The SRU are clowns" all of the time. For all we know they have been in contact with Danny Brough and Matty Russell but if those people have politely declined or said "I'll think about it" do you expect the SRU to make an announcement about it? The same goes for Tommy Allen (and, by the way, look how that is turning out for him now; could we seriously say he would have been the answer at this stage? It's no use saying "in a few years" because he would presumably be in the wider Scotland setup and thus follow a similar path that our current 10s seem to - mediocrity).

The same also goes for Laidlaw talking about Johnson on tour. We don't know the nature or context of that interview and notice Laidlaw never says "yes Johnson is a good coach" he kind of avoids that issue. He said "he's done some good things" etc, hardly a resounding piece of applause.

Anyway, I think on the other hand RDW is right - Cotter coming will hopefully change things for the better but we still have to keep in mind our resources and upper echelons of management. Whilst I know I just said that they might not be as bad as we are all saying, that still doesn't mean they're fantastic either. Although, personally, I think Johnson was just a terrible idea that after Cotter delayed a year was kind of forced upon us - and him - and we're past that horrible stage now. Remember that Johnson never signed a contract , which is surprisingly honest and principled , and even said that he doesn't see himself being permanent coach. Clearly he wants the DoR role that appears to have been created for him so let's have some faith that there is a reason he wanted it and still wants it.

Optimistic this morning with a peppering of reality.

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 9:48 am

cakeordeath wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:

The SRU seem quite keen at importing players for the SH, so it seems strange to me, in an effort to increase our numbers we haven't approached these people.

Totally agree, we are clearly in need of widening our current player base and the likes of Brough has all the attributes required and you would hope that the winning mentality they would bring to our squad would rub off on the others. I for one wouldn't want to be 'having a discussion' with Danny Brough about not trying hard enough. England have recruited League players to great effect over the years, no reason why we shouldn't try to do the same.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 17 Mar 2014, 10:14 am

A quick search turned up this
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/super-league-man-steel-danny-6300012

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 17 Mar 2014, 10:18 am

At 30 years old it's probably getting a bit late now - look at what happened with Andy Farrell at England.

The winger on the other hand would be a great steal.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 10:20 am

cakeordeath wrote:A quick search turned up this
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/super-league-man-steel-danny-6300012

Fair enough but that was two years ago, no reason not to ask again, what's the worst that can happen?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 17 Mar 2014, 10:46 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:At 30 years old it's probably getting a bit late now - look at what happened with Andy Farrell at England.

The winger on the other hand would be a great steal.

Being massively pedantic, he’s 31 now.

However, I totally agree with you, I think despite him being a very good league player, getting him up to speed with union would take time.  I doubt he would be ready for the RWC and by the next 6 nations he’ll be 32 and we’ll be back in the same situation as we are now as I would imagine he would be considering hanging up his boots.

Seems like a lot of hassle for 1, maybe 2, 6 nations.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 17 Mar 2014, 11:21 am

Hopefully the first thing Cotter will do is get a reporting line straight into Dodson (or preferrably Dodson's replacement) so that he can cut Scott Johnson out of the loop. I would swap Scott Johnson for Frank Hadden or Andy Robinson in a heartbeat, I really would. The sooner Scott Johnson has nothing to do with Scottish rugby the better.

I also think that Laidlaw's article is telling. Of course he supports Scott Johnson, why wouldn't he? Johnson has continued to select him despite his kicking form crashing through the floor, and his allround game being bettered by a number of other alternatives, several of them a good deal younger. Given how Johnson has treated players like Brown, Fusaro and Denton, Laidlaw has been extremely fortunate to retain his place.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:35 pm

Dave Denton shortlisted as 6ns player of the tournament  picard 
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:44 pm

tigertattie wrote:Dave Denton shortlisted as 6ns player of the tournament  picard 

Not sure why that has gotten a face palm. He won't win but he has been one of our best players along with Scott and Dunbar. Everyone else has been jedi Knight.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:45 pm

tigertattie wrote:Dave Denton shortlisted as 6ns player of the tournament  picard 

Token Scotsman I expect, probably one Italian included as well?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:46 pm

Scott and Dunbar have both been better then one direction Denton. Beattie (when played at 8) is also far better than Denton. Beattie just hasnt had the game-time perhaps!

I will say this about Denton, he has improved his game over the last 2 months. He's stil not our best option at 8 though!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm

All players who get MOM will be on the list I think

Right, I have stayed away as much as possible, and enjoyed the golf in the sun, followed by a BBQ and some beers with the Misses - did watch the game, but was in a good mood, so did not care

Just a healthy dose of reality here

Cotter may help develop the Scotland team, but I think the levels of assumption that the whole thing will come together may be a little naive - we have had many coaches and while they all having failings, we may have to accept we may not be that good (the only common denominator in the guff we have played for 10 years is the players).

Scott Johnson May actually be a good DOR - that may be where his skills are - we know they are not a team selector - so lets give him some time - he never wanted the Scotland Coach job - so I am prepared to judge him on the job he is hired for - rather than the one he stepped into to fill

I hope that we have an up ward curve and can start to become a force in rugby, but I think with only a few thousand players (and a mildy racist uncle) playing rugby in Scotland, the depth of the hole we are in, should not be ignored

Lets keep a level head, support the changes, and not get carried away that things will change over night - they may not

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:50 pm

tigertattie wrote:Scott and Dunbar have both been better then one direction Denton.  Beattie (when played at 8) is also far better than Denton. Beattie just hasnt had the game-time perhaps!

I will say this about Denton, he has improved his game over the last 2 months.  He's stil not our best option at 8 though!

Personally I think this is just something that we trott out now as a matter of habit. I do not think Beattie did that much this 6 nations, yet he seems to be the the shoe in for our No8.

Denton is not the complete package, but he still was one of our better players

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:50 pm

I have always been a fan of Beatrice Beattie ,  but not sure why he is considered to be so much better than Denton.  

I don't want to degenerate this into baldies fighting over a comb so I'll let it lie.  We have bigger problems than the back row to be honest.

What the hell do we do about a fly half?

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Darn auto correct)
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 17 Mar 2014, 1:04 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I have always been a fan of Beatrice Beattie ,  but not sure why he is considered to be so much better than Denton.  

I don't want to degenerate this into baldies fighting over a comb so I'll let it lie.  We have bigger problems than the back row to be honest.

What the hell do we do about a fly half?
I have checked and Uncle Dougie says he could cover it.  OK 
Scotland Fans' 2014 6N of hell Post-mortem - Page 15 Bald10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 17 Mar 2014, 1:12 pm

Yeah the shortlist is all the motm, hence Denton.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 1:29 pm

On this day, 24 years ago we won the Grandslam.
Where did it all go wrong?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 17 Mar 2014, 1:43 pm

GLove39 wrote:On this day, 24 years ago we won the Grandslam.

while every country has improved, modernised and developed in that 24 years, we've pretty much stayed at the same level!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Mar 2014, 2:36 pm

At least I will have lived (just) to see a Scotland grandslam...  Sad Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 17 Mar 2014, 3:34 pm

Ineffable wrote:

At least I will have lived (just) to see a Scotland grandslam...  Sad Sad 

I have no doubt I'll live to see many. No doubt.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:22 pm

I've seen them all

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:26 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:I've seen them all

show off. Wink 
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:26 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:I've seen them all

show off. Wink 

Just blessed! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 17 Mar 2014, 11:46 pm

Riskysports wrote:
Right, I have stayed away as much as possible, and enjoyed the golf in the sun, followed by a BBQ and some beers with the Misses - did watch the game, but was in a good mood, so did not care

Just a healthy dose of reality here

Cotter may help develop the Scotland team, but I think the levels of assumption that the whole thing will come together may be a little naive - we have had many coaches and while they all having failings, we may have to accept we may not be that good (the only common denominator in the guff we have played for 10 years is the players).

Scott Johnson May actually be a good DOR - that may be where his skills are - we know they are not a team selector - so lets give him some time - he never wanted the Scotland Coach job - so I am prepared to judge him on the job he is hired for - rather than the one he stepped into to fill

I hope that we have an up ward curve and can start to become a force in rugby, but I think with only a few thousand players (and a mildy racist uncle) playing rugby in Scotland, the depth of the hole we are in, should not be ignored

Lets keep a level head, support the changes, and not get carried away that things will change over night - they may not
This was my post of the day, Risky and it makes a couple of very important points. I'm off to bed now, but I wanted to pick up on a couple of things.

Let's start with Scott Johnson. It's easy to make fun of him. There are plenty of large, slow moving targets. He has made clear mistakes with both tactics and selection. That's the professional side. As an individual, his personal qualities are clear. It's fairly well known that his wife died of leukaemia at only 27 - they had been married for less than 7 years and it meant that he had to bring up their two children by himself, which he did. He is one tough son of a gun and he provided (in addition to the myriad of quips about wrestling you for marbles and statistics being like a bikini) a dose of common sense and some measure of stability when some was desperately needed. He is not a rugby strategist or good selector but he is an excellent communicator and this is something that (as Risky says) may well stand him in good stead in his next position. Nobody actually knows anything about what the Director of Rugby post will involve. It will potentially be quite heavily involved in mending bridges between the club game, the schools game and the professional game and who is to say that he wouldn't be well suited towards getting everyone in a room talking. I am glad he isn't (or shouldn't be) anywhere near coaching strategy or selection but to suggest he doesn't have anything to offer or hasn't made at least some sort of positive contribution does him a disservice.

Now Cotter. The most important point of all is the one that Risky makes above (and a few other people have made). We're all quite a pragmatic bunch on these boards and I don't think any of us think that Cotter arriving will be a silver bullet in its own right. It just can't be. A head coach of the national side is supposed to reap the rewards of the training and development structure in place and mould the product of these systems into a side with a strategy that suits the players. The structure feeds what the team manager has to work with, and that is all. A good head coach cannot be a substitute for a bottom-up system which actually works. Cotter will make the best of what the system has produced despite itself and hopefully (and more importantly) will add to the collective stock of rugy brain in Scotland. I don't believe for one second that the likes of Alan Solomons isn't intimately involved with the proposed plans for restructuring the Scottish game. The SRU probably still remain in large part the proverbial coffin-load of worsted wearing, tufted, whisky sodden old goats but what you hope has sunk in by now is that they would be wise to leave the rugby to the rugby men in future.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:10 am

On this point, there's a veryu good article from David Ferguson in the Hootsman this morning, which raises some good points on the criticism of SJ and also makes the very good point that there is no way he should be both DoR as well as a coach in the Scotland set up.

THE Scottish Rugby Union has embarked on a review of the RBS Six Nations, the Scotland management set-up and plans through to the next World Cup as they assess whether new coach Vern Cotter will have the right team in place to achieve success.

In the wake of the worst finish to a Six Nations Championship and a drop from last year’s third place to the familiar fifth spot, the Scottish Rugby Board and Scottish Rugby Council are seeking clarity on the direction of the national management structure. Cotter, though still leading Clermont Auvergne towards the Top 14 and Heineken Cup titles, will also play a role.

The board and council have backed the changes made since Andy Robinson resigned in 2012, the search for a long-term successor and appointments of Cotter and Scott Johnson as the new director of rugby and interim head coach. It seems absurd, however, to imagine that Johnson could continue as Cotter’s backs/attack coach. In fact, were Johnson to join Cotter on the summer tour to North and South America, and South Africa, it would raise a major question mark over whether he and the SRU appreciate the speed with which change is required.

After the 51-3 embarrassment in Cardiff on Saturday, there have been calls for Johnson’s head on a plate, for Dodson to be fired, Lockhead, too, and for the SRU to be stripped from top to bottom and a new structure put in place. New governance, new leaders, new inspiration and more Scottish brains restored to the Murrayfield ship.

The SRU cannot escape the fact that there is a lack of people with a strong knowledge of Scottish rugby going back more than a decade running the ship. Fewer still have experience of success in professional sport. But is the answer wholesale change, once again? Did it work when Jim Telfer moved on in 2003? Or when David Mackay and Phil Anderton were forced out by strong, knowledgeable Scottish rugby men on the union committee, and Ian McGeechan soon followed so disillusioned by it? Did we reap a harvest from the Gordon McKie era?

Some of Scotland’s most celebrated players – Andy Irvine, Ian McLauchlan, Alan Lawson, Gavin and Scott Hastings, Jim Calder and Sean Lineen – have been involved to various degrees with the SRU and/or the pro teams, to what end? Richie Dixon, David Johnston, Telfer, McGeechan, Frank Hadden, Andy Robinson and Johnson all coached the national team and none secured any consistent measure of success. So, is the problem really the chairman, chief executive or head coach? Or are they merely convenient targets for lazy critics?

The real problem, I contend, is the lack of competition for teenage talent, for boys and girls, emerging from youth to senior rugby and then those in the early years of senior and pro rugby. Britain’s first national league brought new, regular, heightening competition to Scotland in 1973-74, and strengthened national squads over the next two decades. But professionalism helped others to catch up by injecting finance into countless teams. With more teams came increased competition. Scotland went the other way, from ten or 12-strong clubs pre-1996 to four and then two provincial teams.

Worse, below that, Scotland failed to invest in the development of youth players and in schools as school sport crumbled and, instead, proceeded to throw ill-equipped, under-prepared players into ever-tougher Test arenas, and hoped for the best. An indication of the poor direction came under Gordon McKie, the former CEO who could not see any requirement for a director of rugby, and the game suffered without that direction. Johnson now has that role and he has two more years in his current contract to make a significant difference.

There are several questions the SRU have not answered well, beginning with why such an important position of “director of rugby” was not advertised. The answer, that they – a group of men not hugely experienced in pro and Test rugby – scoured the world and spoke to several candidates privately before settling on Johnson did not convince. But that has not stopped Johnson from meeting players, coaches, teachers, administrators and supporters across the game, digesting their views on the problems and drawing up proposals.

The proposal for a “Super 8” premier club league is back under consultation after clubs demanded more time to re-shape it. But, once the Six Nations review is written up, Johnson will set about implementing four new academies, at a cost of over £1 million, in a return to a four-district culture that once served Scotland well. A stepped series of age-grade squads will allow young talent to emerge through the South, Edinburgh, North and Midlands/Caledonia and Glasgow, competing with each other, alongside a new schools competition.

Putting aside the fact that he should never have been Scotland’s head coach, I like Johnson and believe that he could be the man to revitalise the game below Test level if given the chance. It has puzzled me how Scottish rugby has waved goodbye to the likes of Telfer, McGeechan and Hadden and then ignored them. I said when he was released in 2009 that Hadden could make a great director of youth rugby with his understanding of the schools and youth game allied to the new understanding of what a pro and Test player required to be successful.

Some people do not like Johnson’s style. It may be the accent or the quips, but the incessant negativity and call for heads that greets any failure is also a rotten part of Scottish sport. Johnson comes from a sporting background none here can match. He saw from the inside the famed Australia institute of sport’s work to turn decades of struggle into Olympic golden glory, and worked with schools, clubs, pro and international rugby in Australia and Wales, two countries that for all their weaknesses – notably the fact that in Australia rugby union ranks about fourth in the list of popular sports and has an ongoing battle to attract numbers while Wales still draws on just 40,000 players – have remained at the top table in world rugby throughout the past decade.

The quips come from an innate desire to ingratiate or entertain, but an hour in Johnson’s company reveals both a deep understanding of rugby and searing passion to make sport work. He has taken to Scotland quickly, his upbringing on the “wrong side” of Sydney battling posh, big neighbours perhaps a factor, and has endeared himself to coaches of different sports across the country in seminars, coaching conferences and dinner appearances.

Specifically, Johnson has studied how to develop schoolboys in Australia and Wales, how to make academies work so that the end product is George North-like, able to step straight into a pro club and Test side and make an impact at the age of 19.

Whether it is possible to replicate systems from Australia or Wales in Scotland remains a great unknown, but could we try? Or should we kick him out and wait for the next mug to accept the task of turning 12,000 rugby players into a world force, in a country that really only comes alive for the sport when the national team plays or Melrose Sevens appear?

Johnson has begun the process and needs time and support to effect the radical surgery the Six Nations has again revealed Scottish rugby to require. He must, however, give it his full attention. If Johnson believes that he could operate as both Scotland’s backs coach and the SRU’s director of rugby then he does not grasp the depth of work involved in either, and in that case would not be the man for the role.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:49 am

The "wrong" side of Sydney... ha ha.

A lot; some would say most, of our best sports stars and coaches originated from western Sydney. They thrive on battling and overcoming their "posh, big neighbours".

In fact, I believe it's a significant advantage to learn one's trade (sporting or otherwise) in suburbs like Parramatta, Penrith or Bankstown.
I have one foot in the west; another in the east - the best way to be! (45 mins to the beach or the mountains)  Very Happy 

It didn't affect Ray Price, Des Hasler, Brad Fittler, Greg Alexander, Mark Carroll, Mick Fanning (world surfing champion), Harry Hopman (tennis), Richie Benaud, Michael Clarke, Melissa Wu (Olympic diving)... or even the infamous Rev. Samuel Marsden - a.k.a. "The Flogging Parson".

Anyway, if SJ is staying on as DoR I wish him more success than he is currently experiencing. Scottish Rugby is a very tough gig at present.

I just hope he can get better quality cattle in critical positions. The odd star wouldn't hurt either - i.e. Danny Brough is made of the right stuff. Maybe it's the current players' mindsets, skills and abilities which need to be examined more closely?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:56 am

From the Herald Scotland:

Progress by whose standards? Here are five simple ways to improve the game

by Neil Drysdale

Another Six Nations campaign, another few months in purgatory.

With Scott Johnson having talked about Scotland's "progress", following their record 51-3 defeat to Wales, it's surely time some honest solutions were found to the problems crippling the game. Here are five suggestions which might transform the country's ailing fortunes:

1 DENY JOHNSON THE DIRECTOR OF RUGBY ROLE

Jim Telfer couldn't make a success of the job. Neither could Ian McGeechan. If these two majestic coaches were unable to rectify the myriad problems which existed inside Murrayfield, why should we suppose Johnson is in any way equipped to flourish? As things stand, we are in the risible situation where the Australian with the worst international record in the SRU cause since Matt Williams could be Vern Cotter's boss some of the time and continue to coach in some capacity on other occasions.

As the phlegmatic Andy Nicol said: "When Andy Robinson came, he inherited Frank Hadden's backroom team. When Scott Johnson came in, he inherited Robinson's backroom team. Now Vern Cotter is going to come in with a backroom staff already in situ. I just find that bonkers."

He's not the only one.

2 SELL THE PRO TEAMS AND SET UP A THIRD IN THE NORTH It's amazing how sharp-suited capitalist types in Scotland sound like old Politburo members once they discuss flinging cash at Glasgow and Edinburgh, as if the idea of private ownership was heresy. This has to change. The existing pro sides should be put up for sale by the SRU, with a two-year time frame for any investors to act. Aberdeen Asset Management supremo, Martin Gilbert, is talking about his desire to sponsor a third team in the north-east.

The union can't ignore him or, if it does, should be asked to explain their reasons for doing so at the next agm.

3 LET THE CLUBS SET UP A RUGBY-STYLE SPL The club schedule in Scotland is such a dog's dinner it should be sponsored by Pedigree Chum. Every year, the league grinds to a halt before Christmas and then descends into a farcical mix of league and cup matches, interspersed with postponements. The structure is unfit for purpose and, as such, should be replaced by an SPL-style championship, run by the clubs, with sponsorship and TV money going to them. One or two of the more ambitious sides already back the principle but have had their aims thwarted by conservatism and self-interest. Meanwhile, the grassroots game is quietly dying a death.

4 STOP SPENDING MONEY ON SECOND-RATE FOREIGNERS It might, indeed, be the case that Scotland doesn't have 70 players worthy of being called professional. But if it isn't, why does Murrayfield insist on signing all manner of foreigners, the majority of whom are no better than those already plying their trade here? Nobody is denying there haven't been diamonds - Todd Blackadder was a star and the Glasgow scrum-half, Nikola Matawalu, has talent to burn. But when it was announced last week that Izak van der Westhuizen is leaving Edinburgh to return to South Africa, plenty wondered what exactly he has been doing since he arrived in 2012.

5 MOVE THE SEVENS TO THE END OF THE SUMMER There is something almost perverse about continuing with the present determination to have supporters shivering into their beer at Sevens tournaments in early April.

Surely it would make far more sense to stage them in the three or four weeks leading up to the start of the new season. Do it then and there might just be a chance that the sun will shine, the barbecue might just spark into life, and players could use these events as an enjoyable means of sharpening up for the big kick-off.

The Aye-been mentality helps nobody.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next