The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mayweather/pac rumor

+10
Valero's Conscience
ONETWOFOREVER
hampo17
hazharrison
All Time Great
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Rowley
AlexHuckerby
catchweight
Liam
14 posters

Go down

mayweather/pac rumor  Empty mayweather/pac rumor

Post by Liam Fri 3 Jan - 6:54

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2014/01/02/1274395/report-mayweather-pacquiao-fight-september

Just seen this on my facebook. I'm going to take it with a pinch of salt but what do you guys think?

Liam

Back to top Go down

mayweather/pac rumor  Empty Re: mayweather/pac rumor

Post by catchweight Fri 3 Jan - 7:03

I think they are going to announce duff opponents and will leak this kind of stuff to try and get people more interested in their upcoming fights.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 3 Jan - 7:05

It actually sounds a little legit, but too good to be true at the same time.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 3 Jan - 7:06

catchweight wrote:I think they are going to announce duff opponents and will leak this kind of stuff to try and get people more interested in their upcoming fights.  

Highly likely.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Fri 3 Jan - 7:22

So we most likely looking at:

Mayweather - Khan
Pacquiao - Bradley/Marquez??

Then obviously the possibility of the fight being made for september if both come through their fights with wins (I say both, Mayweather 100%, pacman maybe 50/50)

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 3 Jan - 7:32

Can someone wake me up when this is signed and they are both stood of opposite corners of the same ring ready to fight?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 3 Jan - 7:38

My guess would be,

Mayweather v Khan/Maidana - with Khan/Maidana on the undercard against someone like Porter perhaps giving Mayweather the option of fighting the winner later on.
Pacquiao v Provodnikov
Bradley v Marquez rematch

I do think Mayweather will fight Pacquiao at some stage once he feels he is safe enough. History shows he faces the better fights when they are past it.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 3 Jan - 7:51

I can actually see Manny and Marquez buried together in years to come shaped together as if they are punching each other!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Fri 3 Jan - 7:53

catchweight wrote:My guess would be,

Mayweather v Khan/Maidana - with Khan/Maidana on the undercard against someone like Porter perhaps giving Mayweather the option of fighting the winner later on.
Pacquiao v Provodnikov

I do think Mayweather will fight Pacquiao at some stage once he feels he is safe enough. History shows he faces the better fights when they are past it.

Can't see Pac vs. Prov happening as they have the same trainer.

If the fight is planned for September, then it's highly likely Pacquiao will take an easier option in order to not risk defeat and the fight (like an Ortiz/ Berto).

I've said this before, but Khan will give Mayweather problems. It's been a while since Mayweather has been in with a fighter who has above average/ world class offensive boxing skills. I can see him taking the Maidana option.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 3 Jan - 8:12

I think the biggest problem Khan causes Mayweather is in the selling the fight!

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 3 Jan - 8:20

FLOYD MAYWEATHER KILLS RUMORS OF 2014 PACQUIAO CLASH
http://www.fighthype.com/news/article15884.html

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 3 Jan - 8:23

Rowley wrote:Can someone wake me up when this is signed and they are both stood of opposite corners of the same ring ready to fight?

Think you're going to be asleep for a while yet mate.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 3 Jan - 8:33

hazharrison wrote:FLOYD MAYWEATHER KILLS RUMORS OF 2014 PACQUIAO CLASH
http://www.fighthype.com/news/article15884.html

Well that killed this thread then Wink

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri 3 Jan - 8:36

Jeeeez Rowley!!! That's some kip you are going to have. About 40000 Valium you may need!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 3 Jan - 9:11

I said a long time ago that I will not watch this fight if it was made as it was not made when my good friend Windy was still around to watch it.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 3 Jan - 18:56

Never going to happen. Both guilty at various stages over the 5 years of preventing the fight.

Will still be massive if it happens but it's lost a huge amount of buzz and whoever losses will have their fans saying they were past their prime, if it happened 4-5 years ago etc etc etc.

Biggest fight of the last 25 years slips by, annoying!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 3 Jan - 19:55

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Jeeeez Rowley!!! That's some kip you are going to have. About 40000 Valium you may need!!

Not a problem mate, will just read some of the threads about Mayweather on here, will see me off for a good five years.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 4 Jan - 0:12

catchweight wrote:My guess would be,

Pacquiao v Provodnikov

Yeh fair one.

Bit like when he fought Alvarez, Mosley, Corrales, Castillo, Hatton, Marquez etc. Fair one mate.  Doh Doh Doh Doh 

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 4 Jan - 0:16

Hah, yeah Mosley was in peak condition wasnt he? Pound for pound number bla bla ba .Marquez had never even fought above lightweight when Mayweather broke a catchweight fight to face him. Praise from the rafters for Mayweathers giant leap for mankind.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 4 Jan - 0:43

catchweight wrote:Hah, yeah Mosley was in peak condition wasnt he? Pound for pound number bla bla ba  .Marquez had never even fought above lightweight when Mayweather broke a catchweight fight to face him. Praise from the rafters for Mayweathers giant leap for mankind.

Yeh fair one, just hammered Marg (who had demolished Cotto) and was ranked 3 in P4P.

JMM never fought above LW (similar to ODH who hadn't fought at Welter for a decade when Pacquiao crushed him)..........the same LW Pacquioa struggled to beat at Welter and then got knocked out??

Still, nice to see you mention the faults with the other fights like Castillo, Corralles, Hatton, Alvarez etc etc.  Doh Doh Doh 

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 4 Jan - 0:49

Hatton and Alvarez arent the best fighters he faced. Nowhere near it. Pumped up wins to cover the holes in Mayweathers record.

Cotto and Mosley were the best welters he faced and they were past it. He didnt face them when the were at their most dangerous. A running theme. Dont be surprised if does the same with Pacquiao.

I dont have any problem with Corrales or Castillo (other than he deserves to lose to Castillo first time). But they were before his cherry picking days. Oh what might have been.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 4 Jan - 4:17

Manny should fight JMM again............He got squashed last time.........

Bradley for me is more deserving than anybody of a Mayweather fight.......

Contentious or not he beat both of them.......

A win is a win is a win.........Just ask Holmes after Witherspoon.........and Ali after Norton 3.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 4 Jan - 5:41

Arum stands in the way of a Bradley fight though so can't see that happening.

He is only fighting Golden Boy fighters and currently there isn't any fit enough to wrap his hands . I would only like to see someone with speed face him (Khan). But Garcia, Matthysse, Maidana etc. Please Floyd's remaining fights are just going to be cruising fights. Non competitive muck. But I like watching him so couldn't really give a fiddlers. Plus it's always nice when Khan gets caught and he does that wobbly shake kind of motion. Would like to see Mayweather make him go like that
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 4 Jan - 6:06

Pacquiao is in the midst of finalising a bout against either Provodnikov or Bradley. Marquez turned the fight down.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 4 Jan - 6:16

Marquez win over Pacquiao will be too sweet a way for him to close the book on their rivalry to want to do it again. Marquez has said he wants a Bradley rematch or he will retire.

I can see Marquez and Bradley going again and Pacquiao being matched up with Provodnikov in the Spring while Mayweather takes on Khan.

Then Autumn 2014 - Pacquiao v Bradley and Mayweather v Maidana.

Then in 2015 the Fight of the Millenium. Mayweather v Pacquiao finally happens.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 4 Jan - 6:32

After the reception Maidana got in Argentina after spanking Broner I'd argue that they can't use the "Khan is a better opponent because he has a bigger following" line.

He won the Argentinian sportsman of the year for 2013. His following in Argentina would dwarf Khans in the UK. Maidana deserves it more IMO but as I said on other threads....doesn't matter as they all get beat. But the reasons for a Khan fight are a bit of BS of you look at the way Maidana was welcomed back to Argentina. Khan would NEVER get that treatment
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 4 Jan - 6:39

You're looking at it all wrong there Dee, Khans fanbase isn't based just on his nationality but also his ancestry and religion, I doubt Maidana would be whetting the appetite of some Sheikhs in the middle east.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 4 Jan - 6:41

They are both in pole position to be Mayweathers next two opponents. Whichever he fights, the other will probably be on the undercard, with a view to being the opponent next in late 2014. Pity because a Khan v Maidana rematch would actually be a great undercard fight for Mayweather. I think Maidana flattens Khan in a rematch.

Mayweather v Pacquiao with Mathysse v Garcia II and Khan v Maidana II as supporting fights would really give boxing a shot in the arm.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 4 Jan - 6:54

The Shielks in the Middle East aren't going to be payin to watch Khan. His UK following is the exact phrase being used. Mayweather loves going down the Mexican route. Well the Argies are just as nuts about their fighters. After the Broner fight Maidanas stock has sky rocketed . Whereas the mention of a Khan fight is being laughed at all over cyberspace. Maidana brings a bigger squad to the venue and would have bigger numbers in a bigger country I reckon.

Agree as well that Maidana would beat Khan at this point . Robert Garcia has done wonders for him. Whereas Khan has went backwards, ditched Roach and hasn't looked any different under Hunter he still gets cracked as often as before
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 4 Jan - 6:57

Argentina has a smaller population than the UK and how mad they go doesn't translate into money, do the Argies pay PPV, I don't think they do which is why his reverence in Argentina doesn't mean a lot.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 4 Jan - 7:03

So you reckon Khan brings an army? He's practically a joke figure in the UK because of his chin
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 4 Jan - 7:10

I don't think either brings an army of fans, Martinez has never had a huge following and he's a national hero but Golden Boy have put far more effort into marketing Khan stateside and worldwide. You cannot underestimate the influence his roots and religion can have on a fight of that magnitude.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 4 Jan - 7:41

I just think after Broners win, the time is perfect if Floyd is cashing in. Look at Khans last fight. Nearly ended in disaster in the 6th. If Khan had of fought Alexander and won then yea. But Maidanas win over Broner won him a legion of fans in the US as well for shutting Broner up .
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 4 Jan - 7:43

Khan did thoroughly outbox Maidana when they were number 3/4 at LWW (barring round 9/10/11).

Surprised many have forgotten this? Maidana was very lucky to of made it out for the 3rd round. Khan is a superior boxer- there's no question.....

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 4 Jan - 7:44

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I just think after Broners win, the time is perfect if Floyd is cashing in. Look at Khans last fight. Nearly ended in disaster in the 6th. If Khan had of fought Alexander and won then yea. But Maidanas win over Broner won him a legion of fans in the US as well for shutting Broner up .

Khan beat Diaz who drew with Crawford who beat Alexander.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 4 Jan - 7:50

You mean the fight that happened more than three years ago now in which time a lot has changed and it was the first round not the third but luck played no part, all to do with heart.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 4 Jan - 7:51

All Time Great wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I just think after Broners win, the time is perfect if Floyd is cashing in. Look at Khans last fight. Nearly ended in disaster in the 6th. If Khan had of fought Alexander and won then yea. But Maidanas win over Broner won him a legion of fans in the US as well for shutting Broner up .

What a great win that was for Khan, beating a former lightweight who has never been world class.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sat 4 Jan - 8:06

Personally I think it's an interesting fight, even if the result predictable (which Mayweather fight is not?)

Khans been beaten off guys with one punch concussive power and someone who fought in his pocket (and on drugs). Mayweather is neither.

Mayweather has fought against all styles buts it's a while since he's fought a fast boxer. None come faster than khan with regards to handspeed. Yes, timing beats speed and none have the timing Mayweather, buts its difficult countering flurries.

It's a fight I'm really looking forward to.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 4 Jan - 9:57

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
All Time Great wrote:

What a great win that was for Khan, beating a former lightweight who has never been world class.

Khan's a former lightweight? Diaz has scored a draw against Shawn Porter, he's no mug... Khan still beat him, regardless of the 6th round.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 4 Jan - 10:01

3fingers wrote:Personally I think it's an interesting fight, even if the result predictable (which Mayweather fight is not?)

Khans been beaten off guys with one punch concussive power and  someone who fought in his pocket (and on drugs). Mayweather is neither.

Mayweather has fought against all styles buts it's a while since he's fought a fast boxer. None come faster than  khan with regards to  handspeed. Yes, timing beats speed and none have the timing Mayweather, buts its difficult countering flurries.

It's a fight I'm really looking forward to.

It's a good fight, as you allude too Mayweather hasn't really fought against an Olympian (other than ODLH where he won by SD) who has a boxing skill set that matches him. Khan (like it or not Khan haters) is one of the best combination punchers in boxing. He will pose Mayweather problems.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down