The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kolb rumor

+2
Grizzly
The Mangler US_UK
6 posters

Go down

Kolb rumor Empty Kolb rumor

Post by The Mangler US_UK Wed Jun 29 2011, 22:58

The latest rumor is that Philly wants a player for Kolb, not a draft pick. Apparently they think they are close to being a Super Bowl team and want to strike now and a draft pick won't help this year. So, insiders say that they've offered to do a straight up player-for-player trade with the Cards: Kolb for DRC. A lot of the fans in Arizona are up in arms about this possibility. We just got Peterson and many were envisioning a lockdown secondary with 2 top flight cornerbacks. I was in this camp, but what a local commentator mentioned has me rethinking my stance; he says that DRC might not be the type of cornerback that Cards' new Defenive Coordinator Ray Horton (formerly of the Steelers) likes. Horton likes physical CBs and DRC makes Deion Sanders look like a tough guy. And with Ike Taylor commenting that he would not give the Steelers a hometown discount, once the lockout is done, could he be heading to the desert for a reunion with Horton and Whisenhunt? If so, the DRC for Kolb trade might just happen.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Kolb rumor Empty Re: Kolb rumor

Post by Grizzly Thu Jun 30 2011, 08:47

Cards are desperate IMO, they go nowhere without a QB and know that the div won't take a whole lot of winning, a little luck in the play offs and they could easily be a superbowl team given they could have a virtual bye into the post season.
Kolb is probably the best back up QB in football and would start in most teams - I understand the Eagles line and feel they hold all the aces here

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Jun 30 2011, 19:34

The latest rumour (per PFT) seems to be in direct opposition, that the Eagles guy is in fact Ike Taylor.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Thu Jun 30 2011, 20:16

Completley agree with the fans general reaction. My good mate an eagles fan is adamant PP will go there but the DRC deal seems more probable. I think the secondary should have a brill year, as the rest of the wests recievers are hardly threatening. (although i did like what williams did in seattle). Id rather take orton or bulger if the price is as high as these rumours claim. Im confident either will take us to the playoffs

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu Jun 30 2011, 22:40

Orton is meant to be available for a second round pick, surely that's better than giving up DRC? Bulger on the other hand is a unrestricted free agent, but he's 34 for how long could he be your starting quarterback?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri Jul 01 2011, 09:51

If DRC wants out of Phoenix, assuming the Eagles do want him, then this might be a good deal for all parties. DRC gets to go to a ready contender, Phoenix get their QB and Kolb gets to start.

Orton has had one good (statistical) season and didn't really prove anything or at the Bears. Don't see the Cards giving up a 2nd especially if DRC wants out.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri Jul 01 2011, 09:58

skins4ever wrote:Orton has had one good (statistical) season and didn't really prove anything or at the Bears. Don't see the Cards giving up a 2nd especially if DRC wants out.
But at least Orton has had two good statistical seasons, Kolb hasn't really even had one ok season.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri Jul 01 2011, 11:53

Ask any coach, stats mean nothing if you have more L's than W's. I like Orton but he hasn't shown he's a winner yet. Kolb is still an unknown, but Philly think he's got good potential. Had the 'new' Vick not emerged, he'd most likely be their starter this year. His age and potential give him more upside than Orton.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Fri Jul 01 2011, 12:10

Apparently the Cards are reluctant to lose DRC but there are rumours that they'd be prepared to lose linebacker Daryl Washington....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Jul 01 2011, 12:47

...brilliant.

Peterson would be unlikely to say the least. Player for player trades in general are rare in any case.

Orton has never shown hes good enough to win a SB. Kolb's is relatively unknown, but a guy the Eagles had more confidence in delivering a SB than McNabb. If I were a team like the Jets and I wasn't committed to Sanchez then maybe I take a longer look at a Orton type vet, but as the Cards are all I see is Orton putting up stats and losing again there.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri Jul 01 2011, 13:27

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:...brilliant.

Peterson would be unlikely to say the least.

Sorry am I missing something? Peterson?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Jul 01 2011, 13:30

There was a rumour floating around during draft day that the Cards would take Peterson if he was there, then deal him for Kolb (and various other compensation) once the lockout ended.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Jul 01 2011, 13:40

I'm not saying its at all likely or it even happened. I'd be shocked if it came to fruition. DRC for Kolb with some late rounders from the Cards seems more likely.

If I'm being honest the whole thing seems to be based on 'The Cards need a QB and passed on everyone in the draft bar Newton, and the Eagles need a CB and passed on Jimmy Smith'. Someone put 2 and 2 together and came up with a theory.

The far more likely story is the Eagles hold out for a 2012 1st, or 2012 and 2013 2nd rounders and look to address the CB position with Ike Taylor or Johnathon Joseph.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri Jul 01 2011, 13:40

Aha!

Makes you wonder if any teams did deals on/before draft day that involved player trades but couldn't be publicised because of the lock out. Wonder if we'll see a flurry of trades after the new CBA regardless of FA?

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Jul 01 2011, 13:54

I'd be surprised. I think the Broncos will eventually look to move Orton, but i doubt they get their price with the lack of a market.

I'm not sure too many teams will want to move veterans with the potential short TC and preseason situation. FA will be frantic however.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri Jul 01 2011, 13:58

Probably. You are right anyway, there is going to be a swathe of transactions on day 1 after the CBA, whether trade, FA or both. I reckon it could be as manic as transfer day in Europe.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by arizona_tom Fri Jul 01 2011, 14:05

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:I'm not saying its at all likely or it even happened. I'd be shocked if it came to fruition. DRC for Kolb with some late rounders from the Cards seems more likely.

Id be suprised if they were losing more picks for kolb as well as DRC. Hes a first round top 15 corner in this league and is proven unlike Kolb. I think Kolb's value has been inflated especially considering it appears to be a two team market.

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri Jul 01 2011, 14:11

skins4ever wrote:Ask any coach, stats mean nothing if you have more L's than W's. I like Orton but he hasn't shown he's a winner yet. Kolb is still an unknown, but Philly think he's got good potential. Had the 'new' Vick not emerged, he'd most likely be their starter this year. His age and potential give him more upside than Orton.
Erm Orton has more W's than L's in his career. The Vikings felt Favre could perform last year and take them back to the playoffs does this mean other teams should have been throwing contracts at him? Saying he has potential is saying he hasn't shown enough in 4 years in the league, yes he has age on his side but only slightly and he's completely unproven.

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Kolb's is relatively unknown, but a guy the Eagles had more confidence in delivering a SB than McNabb.
The Eagles may have had more confidnece in Kolb delivering the SB but who actually had the better season?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri Jul 01 2011, 15:20

You thinking McNabb had anything like a good season?

On Orton, 32-30 isn't what I'd call a winning QB. His highest rating was last year and that was only 87.5. Kolb hasn't got much to show either, but he's still got potential. I think you know what you are getting with Orton and that's why Denver feel they can let him go. Kolb may well turn into yet another journeyman but the jury's still out.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Jul 01 2011, 15:37

Kolb got benched because Vick played at an MVP level when he got hurt. Not because he was bad.

Exactly skins, you know by now what Orton is capable of. The guy is a solid game manager.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri Jul 01 2011, 15:49

skins4ever wrote:You thinking McNabb had anything like a good season?

On Orton, 32-30 isn't what I'd call a winning QB. His highest rating was last year and that was only 87.5. Kolb hasn't got much to show either, but he's still got potential. I think you know what you are getting with Orton and that's why Denver feel they can let him go. Kolb may well turn into yet another journeyman but the jury's still out.
I didn't say McNabb had a good season, but he had a better season than Kolb, so while the Eagles may have felt Kolb was more likely to get them a Super Bowl he actually did worse than McNabb last season. I know it's not a great winning record but you said "stats mean nothing if you have more L's than W's" and well in Orton's case this isn't true he has more W's than L's even if only just. I just don't see how Kolb is worth either a 1st round pick or DRC, he wasn't worth that when he entered the league so how can he be worth it now when he hasn't proven anything since the draft, and could arguably have more question marks over his head now then before.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Fri Jul 01 2011, 15:52

I think the suggestion was Kolb plus something for DRC.

I would argue that Kolb couldn't have a better season than McNabb because Vick had a better season than either. Had Vick been down for longer, you'd probably have seen a different result from Kolb. He knew he was only filling in for a game or two, whereas had he been playing out the rest of the season...

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri Jul 01 2011, 15:56

skins4ever wrote:I think the suggestion was Kolb plus something for DRC.

I would argue that Kolb couldn't have a better season than McNabb because Vick had a better season than either. Had Vick been down for longer, you'd probably have seen a different result from Kolb. He knew he was only filling in for a game or two, whereas had he been playing out the rest of the season...
Why would he think "Oh I'm only filling in."? Why did Vick start? Because Kolb got injured, so if he could loose his spot as the starter through an injury and Vick performing why would he not think he can win it back by performing well while Vick was injured. Thats has to be the dumbest reason for not playing well ever.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Jul 01 2011, 15:58

Kolb hardly played badly outside of the Titans game...

Of course if you're gonna use the Cowboys game where we played the 3rd stringers including an UDFA up against Ware, then theres really no point in arguing with you.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Fri Jul 01 2011, 18:22

Graeme Swann's Cat wrote:Kolb hardly played badly outside of the Titans game...

Of course if you're gonna use the Cowboys game where we played the 3rd stringers including an UDFA up against Ware, then theres really no point in arguing with you.
But equally if you take out the Falcons game he hardly played amazingly, but then I suppose the Cardinals don't need an amazing quarterback to win the NFC West. Also he was only sacked once more in the Cowboys game than against the 49ers.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down