The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Impact will Euro Semis/Finals have on AP Run In?

5 posters

Go down

What Impact will Euro Semis/Finals have on AP Run In? Empty What Impact will Euro Semis/Finals have on AP Run In?

Post by LondonTiger Wed 23 Apr 2014, 11:21 am

So, five English teams are still participating in European competition - Saracens, Saints, Quins, Wasps & Bath. Of these five, four are pressing for AP Play-off spots, while Wasps are pressing for the 7th spot and the play-off for next seasons ECC.

So, just wondering what people think. Does playing in these games help or hinder a teams chances in the AP? Certainly we have seen in the past, Leinster struggle in Pro12 finals having played in a Euro final. Could Leicester benefit from having extra rest? Could these sides benefit from extra competition?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

What Impact will Euro Semis/Finals have on AP Run In? Empty Re: What Impact will Euro Semis/Finals have on AP Run In?

Post by Scrumpy Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:02 pm

The real winners could be Sale seeing as Bath and Quins have a semi final each in the Amlin, I hope Bath put out their strongest available team for Sunday even if it means getting tonked by Saints a few days later.

I'd take a Losers Cup final in Cardiff over a AP semi anyday. (nice to have both or maybe even more!  Wink )
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

What Impact will Euro Semis/Finals have on AP Run In? Empty Re: What Impact will Euro Semis/Finals have on AP Run In?

Post by Poorfour Wed 23 Apr 2014, 2:00 pm

Sale and Leicester will have the benefit of longer to get fit players back - though I don't think it is enough of an advantage for Sale to pull themselves back into the running. It's definitely enough time for Tigers to lick their wounds and get motivated for a strong last couple of games, though.

Bath have a short turnaround from Sunday to the Saints game which could be a serious issue if they pick up any injuries in key positions (though I am not sure how good their injury situation is).

Quins will be going from a 4th Friday game in succession to a Sunday game against Exeter, which give them a slight boost in both games, I suspect. It means a short turnaround for the Bath game the following Saturday, but by that point we will know if there's anything to play for.

Sarries are so comfortably ahead that they can probably focus totally on Clermont and have enough squad depth that they won't worry too much about the last two games.

Saints' main problems seem to be keeping enough hookers fit and regaining their form. I am hoping (quartered specs on) that that means resting players this weekend to be ready for Bath the week after. Go on, Jim, you know it makes sense.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 28 Apr 2014, 9:24 am

Well, Sale and Leicester have had a rest and meet at the weekend.

Meanwhile Saracens/Northampton/Bath all have an extra fixture between the AP semis and final. Should one of the 3 other sides still in playoff contention actually make the final - it could be a big advantage to them.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 29 Apr 2014, 7:51 pm

Sarries will be massively bolstered by that win, unless they play a real weakened 3rd team before the play offs I can't see them dropping a game.

Quins loss was perhaps better for us in the long run, means we can focus on one comp, and if we lose to Exeter we can start getting ready for the summer and hopefully a strong 14/15 season.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:09 pm

On every single occasion since time itself began some ~13.8 bn years ago, Leicester won the league whilst Gloucester went on to win the playoffs to become champions in the year prior to England winning the RWC.

Every single time that pattern has been a constant.

May as well give up on 2015 then...

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down