The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

+37
banbrotam
CAS
lydian
Josiah Maiestas
Henman Bill
JuliusHMarx
HM Murdock
greengoblin
dummy_half
slashermcguirk
Chazfazzer
DirectView2
lags72
Johnyjeep
MrInvisible
bogbrush
coolpixel
Haddie-nuff
Silver
Calder106
Danny_1982
Mad for Chelsea
It Must Be Love
hawkeye
summerblues
CaledonianCraig
Born Slippy
FedsFan
kingraf
The Special Juan
socal1976
laverfan
erictheblueuk
temporary21
Jahu
LuvSports!
sirfredperry
41 posters

Page 17 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread - Page 17 Empty World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

Post by Guest Fri 07 Nov 2014, 11:48 am

First topic message reminder :

So the ATPs premier showpiece event hits the O2 on Sunday. The sixth showing at the O2 and yielded only 3 different winners. Very interesting this year. 3 virgin qualifiers in Cillic, Raonic and Nishikori. Can we see a new winner? Can Nishikori and Raonic win the biggest title of their careers to date? Federer will have an eye on the DC like his compatriot Wawrinka, though he is woefully out of form of late. Has Murray much left in the tank to win his first title here at the O2? Can Berdych do a Davydenko and strike out of nowhere? Will it be a routine Djokovic victory?

For me the 2 that qualify from each group will be:

Group A

1) Djokovic
2) Raonic

Group B

1) Murray
2) Federer

Djokovic/Murray final

Winner: Djokovic

Back to top Go down

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

Post by Henman Bill Fri 14 Nov 2014, 11:21 pm

I said last night that Federer was trying to get the double bagel - however he claimed in his press conference that he preferred to lose that last game and win 6-0 6-1 than 6-0 6-0. He didn't give it away though, exactly, but maybe he was trying to win but preferred to actually lose if that makes sense.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: World Tour Finals Thread - Match & Prediction Thread

Post by Henman Bill Fri 14 Nov 2014, 11:30 pm

I think there is a little too much doom and gloom around Murray, there is always too much short term thinking about for me on forums. He is quite far behind at the moment, he needs to improve his motivation and confidence, fix some aspects of his game, try and improve his secondn serve as best he can. I think he will get better, and I think he can come back.

However the Australian Open may be too soon for him, he is far behind the others at the moment, it feels like a big three with him leading the chasing pack rather than a big four at the moment. And then you're in the clay season, where he has never done better than semi finals, even in his best season. And then the second half of the year there are more faster surfaces. So the whole of next year could be challenging in a way. I mean, if he gets back to his peak too late next year he will headinng into the indoor season where he has never dominated.

I think if he can play Indian Wells and Miami and fully go for it like his masters performances of about 2008 and win one of those that could be a big boost. I think he will finish in the top four next season and although it's looking more optimistic than before I can still see him winning another slam in his career, and perhaps getting into the top two ranking positions at least, within a couple of years or so.

I am not going to write him off as quickly as some of you, let's give him at least until 2016 as a lot stranger things have happened in sports.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 14 Nov 2014, 11:31 pm

He also badly needs any win against one of the other big four even if it's in a minor tournament otherwise all through next year it's going to be "x defeats in a row against Federer, Nadal and Djokovic".

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 15 Nov 2014, 1:56 am

TRuffin wrote:
Silver wrote:The Djok is pretty much the only man who's been able to even crack 50% first serves this week consistently - could be the difference in the end. I've got no idea why everyone else is struggling so much on serve indoors!

Jimmy Arias on Tennis Channel yesterday was saying the players are complaining about the new blue lights the O2 or tourney is using to light up the crowd during play. In the past, the crowd was dark and was a great backdrop for serving.  He says the new blue is strange and making it harder to track and time the balls-   esp during serve.

Makes sense as clearly something was changed that has had an effect on nearly everyone's serving.  

Ah, thank you kindly for the info.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:32 am

Henman Bill wrote:I am not going to write him off as quickly as some of you, let's give him at least until 2016 as a lot stranger things have happened in sports.

Camus says - Hope is the ultimate form of despair (it has been a while since I have read him though, it could be Sartre or Beauvoir or Nietzsche).

I would have preferred him being humiliated 6-0, 6-0 so he could wake up and smell the roses. He did frak-all in the match. Kim was working much harder at cheering him than he was returning Federer's serve. I wish he had not qualified at all (and you realize how angry I am now, I am livid every time I think of this match).

Look at Ferrer, as an alternate, he almost beat Nishikori. As LKv2 says, he needs a backbone. In Valencia he was literally staggering around like a drunk towards the end of the match with Robredo. It was clear he would be cannon fodder at WTF. I am not sure home Much Raonic's

Also, my hats-off to CC for being the fan he is for Murray (and you, BanBro, Danny, Calder, CarrieG4, and many others). Without using the word 'hope', can he do better in 2015/16?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Nov 2014, 7:21 am

The thing is HB for me he is now in a position of facing Nadal/Federer/Djokovic in the QFs of Slams/Masters, unless of course he has a strong showing at other events before Miami/IW maybe at Brisbane/Doha/Rotterdam/Acapulco, so again much like the back end of this year he is going to have to play a load of events to put himself in the best position to make top 4 again before IW/Miami and the Clay swing. So how much will he have left by the time Wimbledon is upon us?

I want Andy to be back at his absolute best. I really do. I don't want to put too many elements as to why his form and game stink at the moment. As many have said including LF, I never wanted him to qualify for the WTF. It was always a step too far. He literally killed himself to get there and he those matches with Robredo showed that he was not ready to tackle the best just yet.

The manner of the defeat against Federer was pathetic. Just devoid of any ideas, creativity and guts. Take nothing away from Federer, everything he touched turned gold, but Murray didn't make him work for it.

At Andys age now any further blips and it will be near on impossible to make the top 4 again. Because it's not that it all rests on his form, but what of the rest of the field? How are they going to play in 2015? Nishikori, Dimitrov, Raonic all have made big strides in 2014.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 15 Nov 2014, 8:19 am

TRuffin wrote:

Jimmy Arias on Tennis Channel yesterday was saying the players are complaining about the new blue lights the O2 or tourney is using to light up the crowd during play. In the past, the crowd was dark and was a great backdrop for serving.  He says the new blue is strange and making it harder to track and time the balls-   esp during serve.

Makes sense as clearly something was changed that has had an effect on nearly everyone's serving.  

It's crazy to play a tournament billed as so important in such conditions. How can elite players play their best as they did throughout the year to gain a place when they have to play in conditions so different from the rest of the tour? It should be moved to an outdoor venue OK

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Nov 2014, 9:22 am

Monte Carlo?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Nov 2014, 9:32 am

The WTF does not need to be outdoors! Jeeez we have enough outdoor tournaments as it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 15 Nov 2014, 10:44 am

Can't wait till it's moved to Buenos Aires.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 15 Nov 2014, 10:49 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:The WTF does not need to be outdoors! Jeeez we have enough outdoor tournaments as it is.

Agreed LK ! Of course it doesn't ; and of course we do.

You may remember that hawkeye devoted a whole thread to this very topic just a little while ago ("So Why is the WTF Played Indoors ?")

The thread didn't gain much support then, and I still don't see any solid argument to back up HE's insistence that "it should be moved to an outdoor venue".

On that particular thread, HE got herself tied up in knots in the unconvincing attempt to counter opposing views - so much so, that her line of argument became more & more illogical. No better example than this particular gem :

"........................Also the players who are best at indoor tennis rarely get a chance to play at the WTF. Whoever wins can't really claim to be the best indoor player because they won't have had necessarily the best indoor opposition."

This seemed an odd claim to me even at first reading. But I have since taken a minute to double-check some relevant data.......

The top five indoor players over the past year (based on the ATP rolling performance index) are :

Djokovic, Cilic, Nishikori, Federer & Murray.
ALL present & correct of course here at the O2 (ok....this past week maybe not all of them have been especially correct, but that's another story ..... Wink )

I then looked at the list of Top 20 players for indoor career titles won. And surprise, surprise .....ALL eight who have qualified for WTF appear in that Top 20 list, with the one exception of Wawrinka. Even the alternate David Ferrer sits comfortably within that list.

As so often, HE's bias & emotional perspective has got in the way of logic & fact.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Nov 2014, 12:18 pm

Thing is lags don't great players find a way to win in all conditions chin

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 15 Nov 2014, 1:09 pm

LKV2 - Have to disagree with any suggestion that it would have been a good thing if Andy had not made the 02 this year.
OK, he probably cream-crackered himself getting there. But he's got himself firmly back in the top eight and got some good wins under his belts.
Those who bemoan his having to play the big boys in the upcoming quarters at the beginning of 2015 have to realise he could have been meeting them in the round of the last 16 had he not had this late-season spurt.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 15 Nov 2014, 1:20 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:The thing is HB for me he is now in a position of facing Nadal/Federer/Djokovic in the QFs of Slams/Masters, unless of course he has a strong showing at other events before Miami/IW maybe at Brisbane/Doha/Rotterdam/Acapulco, so again much like the back end of this year he is going to have to play a load of events to put himself in the best position to make top 4 again before IW/Miami and the Clay swing. So how much will he have left by the time Wimbledon is upon us?

I want Andy to be back at his absolute best. I really do. I don't want to put too many elements as to why his form and game stink at the moment. As many have said including LF, I never wanted him to qualify for the WTF. It was always a step too far. He literally killed himself to get there and he those matches with Robredo showed that he was not ready to tackle the best just yet.

The manner of the defeat against Federer was pathetic. Just devoid of any ideas, creativity and guts. Take nothing away from Federer, everything he touched turned gold, but Murray didn't make him work for it.

At Andys age now any further blips and it will be near on impossible to make the top 4 again. Because it's not that it all rests on his form, but what of the rest of the field? How are they going to play in 2015? Nishikori, Dimitrov, Raonic all have made big strides in 2014.

I think thats OK though. It gives Andy an achievable goal again "get back into top 4 " as opposed to "Beat Federer and Novak to world number 1". It also means he doesnt have to get as far in tournies to test his mettle against the big guns, when theyre a big more vulnerable

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 15 Nov 2014, 1:22 pm

In any case, wins for Novak and Roger today... at least they BETTER win, I want my final matrix movie showdown dammit!

Also wasnt the WTF outdoors in Houston?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:20 pm

Something that has been bothering me about the Djokovic indoor streak, wasn't the roof closed when he lost to Roger in Shanghai? Or does it have to be an indoor tournament?

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:23 pm

Good Luck Nishi!

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:28 pm

Come on Kei, don't give up.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:30 pm

CAS wrote:Something that has been bothering me about the Djokovic indoor streak, wasn't the roof closed when he lost to Roger in Shanghai? Or does it have to be an indoor tournament?  
Thankyou for spotting this, I'll have a close look.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:38 pm

WTF is going on in this WTF.

One sided games all over.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:39 pm

Im trying to watch the Shanghai highlights but the camera never seems to be pointing to the skies, so I can't tell if there's a roof. I can't remember from the match either at the time which is annoying.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:39 pm

At least Anabelles hair looks like she had a rough night Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:40 pm

It sounds like an indoor court.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:44 pm

He looks completely unbeatable.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:44 pm

Glad I am in the pub.

No Moët though! guinness

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:47 pm

Silver wrote:He looks completely unbeatable.

Thanks a bunch Novak Doh back on serve...

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:49 pm

Someone has to tell Djokovic about the behaviour of tennis crowds.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:50 pm

Keep it up Ninja.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:50 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Glad I am in the pub.

No Moët though! guinness

I'm sitting here marking homework. Have one for me, LK! Smile

I wonder what kind of pub would serve Moet...?

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:50 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:It sounds like an indoor court.

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was as I remember the commentators suggesting it was worse for Roger as he's the better all weather player, but I began to doubt it as surely they couldnt have overlooked that in the stats

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:51 pm

No Moët though! guinness

How much is Pint?

Enjoy it.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:52 pm

CAS wrote:Something that has been bothering me about the Djokovic indoor streak, wasn't the roof closed when he lost to Roger in Shanghai? Or does it have to be an indoor tournament?  
I imagine it would have to be an indoor tournament for them to count it. But not sure.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 15 Nov 2014, 2:58 pm

If ...sorry, when... Djoko goes on to win another WTF title here, it will surely end up as the most dominant performance in the event's history.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:05 pm

Silver wrote:

No Moët though! guinness

I'm sitting here marking homework. Have one for me, LK! Smile

I wonder what kind of pub would serve Moet...?

One owned by Federer Run

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:06 pm

Jahu wrote:

No Moët though! guinness

How much is  Pint?

Enjoy it.

£3.50 a pint Ok!

Result

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:10 pm

come on special K!!

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:11 pm

NISHIIIIII WAHT A POINT

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:12 pm

Nishi starting to play like the USO SF Nishi.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:13 pm

HE'S HUMAN! 1-1! FIRST SET DROPPED Very Happy

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:13 pm

Unsurprisingly, googling 'Swiss champagne pub' didn't come up trumps Wink there's a champagne bar in Birmingham, however! 606v2 road trip?

What a WTF debut Kei is having. Well played, sir!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:14 pm

Kei takes second set.

You can do itttt
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:14 pm

COME ON.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:15 pm

This is the Nishi we all love.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:15 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
Jahu wrote:

No Moët though! guinness

How much is  Pint?

Enjoy it.

£3.50 a pint Ok!

Result

Have one for Ninja on my tab Smile
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:16 pm

Sorry Socal & HM, I'm supporting Nishikori here, and if Djoko gets to the final tomorrow I will support Federer Hug

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:20 pm

Don't be sorry, be happy Wink
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:21 pm

He'll live to regret letting those BPs slip away...

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:24 pm

Henman Bill wrote:I said last night that Federer was trying to get the double bagel - however he claimed in his press conference that he preferred to lose that last game and win 6-0 6-1 than 6-0 6-0.
My suspicion is that there is a very simple solution to this conundrum - Fed was not telling the truth. Smile

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:27 pm

Nishis come back, and the crowd decided they wanted to be the third player in that second set, but Novak did very well to get through that first game and hes a break up

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 15 Nov 2014, 3:35 pm

game over Sad

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next