The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

+67
Dr Shoe
gw
wisden
Hero
mikey_dragon
greengoblin
Alistair
Holymiky
Blade
Enforcer
hornbloweroafc
ShockmasterV2
Hammersmith harrier
profitius
MichaelT
Jermaine2015
Geordie
Knowsit17
President Trump
jimmyinthewell68
Hoggy_Bear
MIG
SecretFly
Simon West
Azzy
ONETWOFOREVER
dummy_half
compelling and rich
lfc91
RinoGattuso
bluestonevedder
Mind the windows Tino.
SirJohnnyEnglish
RuggerRadge2611
nadeem2099
Dr Gregory House MD
Nakatomi Plaza
The Beast
The_Enigma
hampo17
Bull
kingraf
Gwlad
trottb
Rowley
guildfordbat
Duty281
westisbest
Ent
JDizzle
Mike Selig
superflyweight
Breadvan
Crimey
The Saint
Mad for Chelsea
Soldier_Of_Fortune
seanmichaels
Galted
rIck_dAgless
TRUSSMAN66
Mr Bounce
Derbymanc
Stella
Pete330v2
incontinentia
Adam D
71 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 20 Empty The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by Adam D Sat 01 Nov 2014, 9:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Quite enjoyed rec 3 although it's not really much to do with the first 2 films.

If it had been a standalone film, I think the critical response would have been better. For me it was really entertaining.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 20 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by compelling and rich Fri 30 Oct 2015, 5:16 pm

best film/game was goldeneye, in fact i think i see goldeneye as one of my favourite bonds purely through the game

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!) - Page 20 Empty Re: The Last Film watched (CONTAINS STAR WARS SPOILERS!!)

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 30 Oct 2015, 5:35 pm

That's what I meant Bull, based on Assassins Creed. Not sure about its likeness to the game, and I've only played on Unity via Xbox One.

Goldeneye was a great game back in the day. I'm pretty sure it was the blueprint for all multiplayer games from then on!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Nov 2015, 1:18 am

Ent wrote:
Stella wrote:Skyfall was the most disappointing film I have seen. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad film at all, but the hype around it was mental. The home alone/a-team ending and bardem's ridiculous plan to kill M ruined it.

All craig bonds have been rubbish, just hyped up massively.

General concencus for spectre is "meh".

Turned them into average modern action films, complete with Bourne esque shakey camera and close up action scenes. Not what bond was ever about imo.

The problem I have with the Craig movies is I feel like I've essentially just watched four prequels showing how bond becomes the world's most famous super spy and bringing his history(whether that be romance or family) into the 007 universe

Don't get me wrong when the action has kicked in I've been generally entertained, but I've found that the pacing padding out a lot of the story has been pedestrian t best and they just don't have the same appeal as a vintage bond movie for me. I just want to see James going from woman to woman before saving the world with the most ludicrous gadgets you can think of, although I can see the next one being exactly that having now established every aspect of 007s past. Spectre was good in parts, very slow in others. Maybe a 7 out of 10 as I'm feeling a bit generous

Away from bond. Finally saw big hero 6 the other day, just class, really enjoyed it 9/10

Also watched four lions, still laughing at it now and the whole bleach scene. Again another good movie

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Mon 02 Nov 2015, 10:40 am

Went to see Spectre on Friday, I was very much looking forward to it, but came away with a massive sense of disappointment. Whilst the film is very watchable, when it ended it was kind of like 'Is that it?!'

The action scenes were in short supply and though they were very good; the Day of the Dead one imparticular, you feel they could've done more than what they did.

Bautista was a very believable and very intimidating henchman, who appears in 3 scenes, for a total of 5 minutes. What a waste. The Bond franchise needs a recurring baddie, like the days of old with Jaws, Oddjob etc; this could have been the perfect chance to start something new. He was grossly underused. Not only that, but he beats the cack out of Bond; a trained spy whose taken years of punishment. Yet, Dr Swann, a dainty female gets leathered in the face and can still get up.

Swann, her timeline, meets Bond, gets bad news, tells Bond to do one, gets kidnapped, gets saved, hates Bond, gets drunk, tells him she wouldn't sleep with him, miraculous wardrobe change, brief chat about their past, interrupted dinner, gets punched twice, nearly dies, bangs Bond, gets kidnapped, learns truth, tells Bond she loves him. What. The. Feck?!

Moriarty 'C'. The most type cast Bond 'Villain' ever. I don't think he's a good Moriarty, so why have him play the same character!?

I liked how they tied up the loose ends, covered the beginnings of Bond etc. I thought Q and M were very good in their respective roles, but the film in general wasn't great and not worth the hype.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 02 Nov 2015, 10:54 am

I watched Jurassic World. Entertaining but the plot differs only marginally from the previous films (kids get lost in park, bad dinosaur breaks loose, couple of fat people get eaten, island goes on shut down, hero saves the day).

Special mention for the red head in it though. She would get it big style.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Nov 2015, 11:22 am

Bryce Dallas Howard is the hot red head, daughter of the director, Ron Howard. Much like John Washington, the son of Denzel, getting the lead role in Ballers. Nepotism

Saw Birdman the other night. Dreadful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 02 Nov 2015, 11:42 am

Ill Manors - Fantastic film and whilst another cockney gangster film, has enough to make it stand out expecially use of the soundtrack.

Lawless - Thought at hate this seeing as Shia Lebouff is in it but thought it was brilliant, even enjoyed his performance.

Pacific Rim - Another cracking film although the story could have done with fleshing out a bit. Was weird to see Sean from Eastenders in it but still good

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:36 pm

No Escape - it 'stars' Owen Wilson (bad start). Completely OTT premise and full of "Really? You expect me to believe this b*llcks do you?" moments yet, for all that, it's still watchable...if only once.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 02 Nov 2015, 12:45 pm

Are 'watchable once' movies worth the money that's put into them?

Maybe that's the era movies are in.......... oodles of 'watchable once' stuff. What a waste of money and expertise.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Nov 2015, 6:25 pm

SecretFly wrote:Are 'watchable once' movies worth the money that's put into them?

Maybe that's the era movies are in.......... oodles of 'watchable once' stuff.  What a waste of money and expertise.
Often feel that these types of films are used as a means for some rich f*cker to wash millions of pounds/dollars worth of dirty cash. Surely no-one with half an ounce of business sense thinks Owen Wilson is an action hero...but then I blame Liam Neeson. Since the unexpected success of Taken, any old f*cker is apparently an action hero. Look forward to Billy Connolly and John Cleese joining forces.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 02 Nov 2015, 9:15 pm

A Beautiful Mind

Was ok I suppose, though I did spend a fair amount of its run-time trying to flick snotballs into the cat's water bowl.  Was impressed with myself for managing to sit through a Russell Crowe film as I think he's a c*nt, not quite a Will Ferrell level of unwatchable c*ntness but enough to make his films a bit of a chore, that and the fact they're normally crap.  A Beautiful Mind's supposed to be a true story which was why I found it tolerable but discovered afterwards that most of it was just boll0cks.  Which I suppose means it wasn't really ok.  I gave it 6/10 on the IMDB but would probably change that to a 5 if i could be arsed.

Or a 4.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 02 Nov 2015, 9:33 pm

The latest Mission Impossible. It was okay, but I just don't think I'm into MI any more.

I thought the Martian was good, it had me on edge on a couple of occasions.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 03 Nov 2015, 7:40 am

Jurassic world. Enjoyed the special effects but the premise of dinosaurs being used by the military? Please. That and the usual whiney kids.
Terminator Genysis. Thought it was ok and better than 3. Enjoyed some of the nods back to the original, and Emilia Clark, but still found wanting compared to 1 & 2.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 03 Nov 2015, 10:38 am

Funny.  I just watched Jurassic world last night.

The lady with the square head.............. well, square hairdo................ well, sharply cut hairdo.  What was the point?  Everything she did seemed cue card acted.  A cold actress playing a cold character coldly.  She's meant to acquire warmth as she goes along but nothing is ever real enough to be warm... not the fear, not the tears, not the hugs, not the kisses..... nothing warmed up that mannequin.

The only good thing about the movie really was that old Mr T. Rex ruled in the end rather than that other thing that looked so badly designed (genetically) with it's over heavy dangling arms killing its centre of gravity.  Severe back problem issues for that breed in late life.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Nov 2015, 1:43 pm

Fantastic four - they weren't, not by any stretch of the imagination. As soon as I saw the nerd from Whiplash, I started to weep. Then I saw Billy Elliot in the role of the thing (pre-Thing) and it made me all weepy again for Michael Chicklis in his fat suit. Then I saw the girl with the other powers and it made me all weepy horny for Jessica Alba. Saw the old black guy and got all weepy for the fact they couldn't afford Morgan Freeman.

Film took forever to get to the bit when they become "fantastic" then they dispatch Dr Doom at the end with relative ease and little or no explanation of how it was done other than someone saying "I hope this works!!" Could not give a F*CK if he's alive or dead and will not be watching the undoubted sequel until I've watched all the Hunger Games films and the 9000 Harry Potter films first and then only after I've watched everything Adam Sandler has ever been in.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 03 Nov 2015, 2:10 pm

Watched The Raid last night, the badly dubbed version. I had previously watched it before with subtitles, but didn't get all the way through it. I have to say despite the dubbing it's a helluva movie. I'll move on to The Raid 2 at some point in the week.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Nov 2015, 2:17 pm

Mikey, don't be put off by the "plot" of Raid 2, it just gets in the way really...the action sequences are f*cking awesome....the final fight is BRILLIANT

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 03 Nov 2015, 2:55 pm

I think that's why we watch them, a decent fight. I mean since when has multi-blockbuster director Michael Bay ever let a sensible storyline get in the way of a big action scene? Too bad for him his fight scenes also suck - who even hires that guy. I've dragged it off on a tangent here, but I'm still upset at him ruining two of my childhood classics.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 03 Nov 2015, 6:51 pm

cant watch anything dubbed, prefer subtitles. give raid 2 a go mikey, i didnt have a clue what was going on half the time but it was still awesome just for the fights

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 03 Nov 2015, 8:52 pm

Spectre, whilst I didn't hate it I was a little disappointed. It continues the trend which was just about tolerable in Skyfall but has now gone too far of giving Bond a backstory. He does not need one, he does what he does because it's his job, queen and country and all that. Stiff upper lip, end away, good drink and onto the next mission. Bond is better when his past is alluded to rather than spelt out. Some touchy feely childhood trauma explaining his detached approach to killing is unwelcome, he'll be in frigging therapy crying within a few films.

Also the film itself was not great, the action was well done not too frequent a la Quantum of Solace, but the ending was all a bit too big action movie set piece for me, and I am going to buck the trend and say I was not really that arsed with Waltz as the villain. His whole slightly camp but wordy and menacing act was just a rehash of his Tarantino films. Appear to be in something of a minority on this one but getting a bit bored with that now.

Also can we get M back behind a desk and not in the field, by the end when Bond, M, Q, Moneypenny and Tanner were all in the field it felt like a strange mix between the A Team and the Famous Five.

Not the worst Bond by any stretch but underwhelming and something of a disappointment.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 04 Nov 2015, 10:44 am

I watched Spectre a few days ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt that it was so much better than Skyfall with its David Walliams-esque villain. Christoph Waltz was understated and quietly menacing, and Dave Bautista brutal and cold. Of course there's a few bonkers bits but it's a Bond film. The only downside for me was Andrew Scott's snivelling little turd "C" - a horrible cliché of a public school nerd given some power. That and the fact they spent most of the budget on pyrotechnics... 7.5/10

I also watched The Last Witch Hunter. Oh boy - what a pile of confused garbage this was. Doesn't know if it's a horror or a teen film and has terrible scriptwriting. Michael Caine is only there to pay his tax bill, and Elijah Wood seems in awe of Vin Diesel all the time. There's a very basic plotline and the cast play it by the numbers without caring very much. The effects are a bit rubbish and I can't lie - I was utterly bored. Watch absolutely anything else. 3/10

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 04 Nov 2015, 5:26 pm

Michael Caine in a poor film? Surely not, from the man who said 'When you enjoy a very high standard of living, sometimes you must make a very low standard of movie'.

Anyway, last film I watched was Ironman 3. I remember plenty of hype, but I thought it was a bit naff 4/10. It's a pity, as the original Ironman film is one of my favourite recent 'popcorn' films, but the two sequels to me have both been overly contrived. I know we're talking about a comic book film, so I shouldn't be expecting wither realism or fine art, but the whole 'biological mutant explosive people' thing was just too ridiculous.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Nov 2015, 5:29 pm

Michael Caine stands alongside Sean Connery for actors who I think are the most over-rated on the planet. It'll come as no great surprise then to hear that I consider "The Man Who Would Be King" to be one of the worst films ever made.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 04 Nov 2015, 6:16 pm

dummy_half wrote:Michael Caine in a poor film? Surely not, from the man who said 'When you enjoy a very high standard of living, sometimes you must make a very low standard of movie'.

This is his quote about "Jaws: The Revenge" which is possibly one of the worst films ever made.

When Caine was asked about this movie in an interview, he answered, "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Nov 2015, 6:30 pm

It's for reasons such as that, Michael Caine will be reserved a special place in Hell

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Nov 2015, 11:09 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:I watched Spectre a few days ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt that it was so much better than Skyfall

Saw it tonight & have to agree. Good action throughout, especially the train fight scene & in Mexico, but not convinced on Waltz though & for all his supposed dealings & power, how the film ended. The villains have been poor for some time now.

Rather go back to stand alone stories/plots now, think Craig's days are over, not sure they need to drag this story out anymore.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Nov 2015, 1:47 pm

As I said i previously I have it Casino Royale > Spectre > Skyfall > QoS

I heard that Spectre was in fact part 1 of a two part story, whereby the 25th Bond movie will conclude this whole story that has unfolded. Craig & other cast members signed two movie deals too, so I think we will have one final Craig movie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 06 Nov 2015, 5:03 pm

American Psycho

Was enjoying it up until the final scene which seemed to muddy the waters somewhat, my understanding is that it was a satirical take on 80's America whereby all investment bankers merged into one. That would explain Bateman getting away with it despite his insistence of guilt, alibi's given because of false identity (both he and Leto's character). It was a mildly entertaining film but considering the subject matter seemed a bit too clean cut, the juxtaposition was slightly off.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 06 Nov 2015, 5:20 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:American Psycho

Was enjoying it up until the final scene which seemed to muddy the waters somewhat, my understanding is that it was a satirical take on 80's America whereby all investment bankers merged into one. That would explain Bateman getting away with it despite his insistence of guilt, alibi's given because of false identity (both he and Leto's character). It was a mildly entertaining film but considering the subject matter seemed a bit too clean cut, the juxtaposition was slightly off.

Read the book, you're left in no doubt and the killing and torture themselves are works of art.  The film completely bottled it, leaving you with the impression he may have imagined it all.  The explanation you mentioned above fits in with the books.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 06 Nov 2015, 5:53 pm

Galted wrote:

Read the book, you're left in no doubt and the killing and torture themselves are works of art.  The film completely bottled it, leaving you with the impression he may have imagined it all.  The explanation you mentioned above fits in with the books.
True enough, the ridiculous scene where he shoots a car and it explodes in the street takes the film way off into the realms of stupidity. The difficulty is that the book itself doesn't have a nice neat ending with everything tied up in a bow, from memory it just seems to stop. The final speech in the film is from about halfway through the book. I did find the book hard going and the film does dumb it down a great deal. There are huge chunks of the book devoted to descriptions of designer clothing etc which I do understand is meant to demonstrate the vacuity of the protagonists but I found it irritating more than anything else.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 06 Nov 2015, 5:57 pm

I think American Psycho is great, but I always disliked the ending. Glad it's been cleared up now though! I think we can all relate to Bale's Patrick Bates somewhat, which is what made him so loveable.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 06 Nov 2015, 6:14 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Galted wrote:

True enough, the ridiculous scene where he shoots a car and it explodes in the street takes the film way off into the realms of stupidity. The difficulty is that the book itself doesn't have a nice neat ending with everything tied up in a bow, from memory it just seems to stop. The final speech in the film is from about halfway through the book. I did find the book hard going and the film does dumb it down a great deal. There are huge chunks of the book devoted to descriptions of designer clothing etc which I do understand is meant to demonstrate the vacuity of the protagonists but I found it irritating more than anything else.

The look of bemusement on his face when the car explodes make even harder to decipher, I did find the constant descriptions of crappy 80's music a bit distracting, especially when it usually preceded some brutal murder.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 09 Nov 2015, 2:24 am

I saw Spectre last night and didn't think much of it.

Why is Monica Bellucci now being called a 'Bond Girl?' She contributed nothing of note to the film as her part was so small and inconsequential.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 09 Nov 2015, 4:31 am

Seraphim falls - Absolutely dire, fell asleep halfway through and couldn't be bothered to watch the rest.

7 Phsycopaths - Weird film but still pretty good

Red 2 - Bit meh for me this one, loved the first one and thought it was excellent but this felt like a by the numbers sequel.

Once we were Warriors - Brutal New Zealand Film starring Boba Fett himself, found it very good but uncomfortable watching at times, especially the end.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Nov 2015, 9:00 am

Derbymanc wrote:Seraphim falls - Absolutely dire, fell asleep halfway through and couldn't be bothered to watch the rest.

7 Phsycopaths - Weird film but still pretty good

Red 2 - Bit meh for me this one, loved the first one and thought it was excellent but this felt like a by the numbers sequel.

Once we were Warriors - Brutal New Zealand Film starring Boba Fett himself, found it very good but uncomfortable watching at times, especially the end.
Enjoyed Seraphim Falls but wouldn't watch it again...same with Seven Psychopaths.

Agree with your opinion of Red 2 and Once Were Warriors (saw it years ago)

Watched Ant Man this weekend, took me several goes as I really couldn't get into it. Only really laughed out loud once during the final fight scene when the Thomas Train got derailed. Outside of that, I was dreadfully bored for much of it. Went back to catching up on The Blacklist. Time much better spent

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Mon 09 Nov 2015, 9:08 am

Bang up to date with Blacklist and it is still quality...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 09 Nov 2015, 9:12 am

really couldnt get into blacklist, gave up half way through first season. which is surprising as i'll watch any sh!t and given the amount of hype people give it. really couldnt buy into the main two characters both boring and unlikeable and the storyline far too far fetched

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Nov 2015, 9:20 am

compelling and rich wrote:really couldnt get into blacklist, gave up half way through first season. which is surprising as i'll watch any sh!t and given the amount of hype people give it. really couldnt buy into the main two characters both boring and unlikeable and the storyline far too far fetched
You're dead to me....unlike Rick, who is still very much alive!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 09 Nov 2015, 11:10 am

The Place Beyond The Pines

A pretty standard generational film but Gosling really does play the moody down on his luck character to a tee, the first half of the film did remind me quite heavily of Drive in that regard. For me though he died a bit too early in the film and the emphasise then shifted to Bradley Cooper which I didn't enjoy quite so much whilst their sons becoming friends seemed a bit too coincidental. Would a 16 year old living in the same town that his father died in really know nothing about him?

All in all though quite good so a 7/10.

Miller's Crossing

Saw it mentioned on here some time ago and have to agree it's one of the Coen Brothers best, whilst you know Tommy is going to double cross Bernie and Casper the way it all came together at the end was seemless. Like in all of their films the performances of the leads were brilliant, the stories aren't always unique but the acting puts them on a different level.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Nov 2015, 1:51 pm

Can't get into Miller's Crossing as I have no love for Gabriel Byrne and he spoils it for me. Keep meaning to give it another go but can't get past ol' Gabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 09 Nov 2015, 5:09 pm

Ant Man is on my to do list soon, gotta be better than the turgid crap that is F4, can't even watch the trailer for that piece of poop.

Just watched Guy Ritchies Sherlock Holmes, found it very meh!!!! and started reading Powers during it but it got a bit better and thought the end was very clever.

-------

https://www.606v2.com/viewtopic.forum?t=61647

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20