The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys boss Andrew Hore hits out at Welsh rugby claiming action must be taken on game which is in a 'time-warp'

+7
SecretFly
Welshmushroom
Chunky Norwich
Cardiff Dave
cp10
thespreys
LordDowlais
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ospreys boss Andrew Hore hits out at Welsh rugby claiming action must be taken on game which is in a 'time-warp' - Page 2 Empty Ospreys boss Andrew Hore hits out at Welsh rugby claiming action must be taken on game which is in a 'time-warp'

Post by LordDowlais Thu 09 Apr 2015, 10:19 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/ospreys-boss-andrew-hore-hits-8973995

Well, that is an interesting read, I will say one thing, why not try looking at what you have done Andrew ? Instead of blaming everybody else look at how you are running things. furious

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Ospreys boss Andrew Hore hits out at Welsh rugby claiming action must be taken on game which is in a 'time-warp' - Page 2 Empty Re: Ospreys boss Andrew Hore hits out at Welsh rugby claiming action must be taken on game which is in a 'time-warp'

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 10 Apr 2015, 10:40 pm

SecretFly wrote:Much too much praise going Lord's way lately.  It'll have to stop, it's unbecoming.  It'll go to the lad's head Wink

Too right and it looks like LD has a fan.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Ospreys boss Andrew Hore hits out at Welsh rugby claiming action must be taken on game which is in a 'time-warp' - Page 2 Empty Re: Ospreys boss Andrew Hore hits out at Welsh rugby claiming action must be taken on game which is in a 'time-warp'

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 10 Apr 2015, 10:45 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote:"Unfair"? To whom? I made the point that Ulster have had a unique cultrual problem to overcome to increase their appeal. And they have addressed that pretty well and with a lot of hard work.

I wondered, did that mean the regions could do something similar, to increase generla interest, given thie issues facing them were much more prosaic? Or was it a model they can't follow because of disconnect betwene the regions and the WRU?

Here in Wales, and this is not an insult, seriously please do not take it as so, we do not let things like religion get involved with our sports, also, what you have explained as unique, is not that unique as I know it happens in Glasgow as well, the thing is in Wales, there are far too many rugby clubs for the amount of people we have here, take my town for example, there are at least 7 rugby clubs, with a population of 50,000 people, how are Cardiff Blues supposed to compete when every village in the region has a club that needs support as well, that is just the brass balls of it, people still see Cardiff Blues as Cardiff RFC, they do not see why they should support a club thirty miles away, when they have their own club on their doorstep.

Why's that then LD? I'm intrigued.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 10 Apr 2015, 10:55 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote:"Unfair"? To whom? I made the point that Ulster have had a unique cultrual problem to overcome to increase their appeal. And they have addressed that pretty well and with a lot of hard work.

I wondered, did that mean the regions could do something similar, to increase generla interest, given thie issues facing them were much more prosaic? Or was it a model they can't follow because of disconnect betwene the regions and the WRU?

Here in Wales, and this is not an insult, seriously please do not take it as so, we do not let things like religion get involved with our sports, also, what you have explained as unique, is not that unique as I know it happens in Glasgow as well, the thing is in Wales, there are far too many rugby clubs for the amount of people we have here, take my town for example, there are at least 7 rugby clubs, with a population of 50,000 people, how are Cardiff Blues supposed to compete when every village in the region has a club that needs support as well, that is just the brass balls of it, people still see Cardiff Blues as Cardiff RFC, they do not see why they should support a club thirty miles away, when they have their own club on their doorstep.

No - I don't take it as an insult at all, and I appreciate that you have taken great care not to give offence. Our two countries have vastly different hisitories. And while you are right, there is sectarianism in Glasgow, and especially in their football, I have never ever heard it talked about as an issue Glasgow Rugby have to overcome - it has been for Ulster Rugby. Maybe it is, but I would need to hear that explained properly to me, in detail, by a Weegei fan rather than assume it.

The rest iof your post is exactly the kind of informative contribution I think these forums are supposed to be about.

Would you be better off replacing the regions? Does that sound even vaguely feasible? Are there historical divisions in Wales (like the provinces) that teams' identities coudld be modelled on? Would there be any way to convincingly make the regions into "umbrella" teams - from the position they are in now?

It all sounds so poorly thought out. Although I suppose Ireland are simply lucky to have thsoe centuries-old provincial identities to fall back on.

Have a read of this Don. Tell us what you think;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_of_regional_rugby_union_teams_in_Wales

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 10 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Just because they are still called Cardiff, they still play in blue and black, and they still play in the same place. I dunno, make of that what you will, but it is exactly the same in Newport. But hey oh, you still got people like me traveling all the way from Merthyr to watch them. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:12 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Just because they are still called Cardiff, they still play in blue and black, and they still play in the same place. I dunno, make of that what you will, but it is exactly the same in Newport. But hey oh, you still got people like me traveling all the way from Merthyr to watch them. OK

You're fibbing I reckon.
Half way down the link mun;
Region name - Cardiff Blues
Owners - Cardiff RFC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_of_regional_rugby_union_teams_in_Wales

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat 11 Apr 2015, 10:28 am

There are 3 things needed in Welsh rugby, none of which is sufficient today.
1. An inspirational vision of what Welsh rugby really could become. Something everyone could get behind and work towards.
2. The leadership and managment talent to make it happen at all levels.
3. Resources - properly distributed.

It's not about the Regions v the WRU. Everyone has to work together, but as the governing body the WRU should at least show a lead. Today I see no clear vision, p**s poor management everywhere and not enough resource. The money that is generated gets diluted before it can make a difference. Only in Wales could we have a gold mine asset like the MS and still fail to get money to where it's needed.

There are too many self interested little factions run by tiny local minds. The WRU still has an amateur ethos (it's only just embraced a couple of non-exec directors, unpaid!). Take a look at the WRU website and tell me it looks like an organisation with a strategy?

Hore may be better at moaning than coming up with solutions, but there is a lot of substance to his comments.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 11 Apr 2015, 10:40 am

Most of the blazers at the WRU are in their seventies, they have been in their roles for too long, no other union keeps people in charge for twenty plus years, it's time for a shake up, it's time to get these people who are comfortable to be in a position of grandeur, we need professional people, running the professional game, not dinasours from yesteryear who are happy with their free tickets and gatherings.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 11 Apr 2015, 11:15 am

The Mark Davies Q&A: Pro Rugby Wales chief's verdict on dual contracts, poor attendances and life after civil war
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/mark-davies-qa-pro-rugby-9012625#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 11 Apr 2015, 11:19 am

LordDowlais wrote:Most of the blazers at the WRU are in their seventies, they have been in their roles for too long, no other union keeps people in charge for twenty plus years, it's time for a shake up, it's time to get these people who are comfortable to be in a position of grandeur, we need professional people, running the professional game, not dinasours from yesteryear who are happy with their free tickets and gatherings.

Think we'll see a big difference with Gareth Davies as WRU chairman.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 12 Apr 2015, 10:14 pm

Simon Thomas @simonrug · 1 hr 1 hour ago
"There's a joint JDIII press conference tomorrow. Would be great to see WRU and the other three regions give public Euro backing to Dragons."

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2