The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Judgement Day III-bigger crowd than European Champions Cup final- Thread

+23
IanBru
wales606
Notch
No 7&1/2
doctornickolas
wayne
InjuredYetAgain
Pot Hale
Breadvan
Coleman
Cardiff Dave
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
dragon4life
SecretFly
The Saint
Jenifer McLadyboy
RuggerRadge2611
GavinDragon
Steffan
Chunky Norwich
LordDowlais
27 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Judgement Day III-bigger crowd than European Champions Cup final- Thread - Page 5 Empty Judgement Day III-bigger crowd than European Champions Cup final- Thread

Post by LordDowlais Mon 20 Apr 2015, 10:04 am

First topic message reminder :

Oh well, nobody has started a thread on this yet so I might as well do one, is anybody going ? At £10 per person for two games it's a bargain, over 35,000 tickets sold so far,so I have been told, not bad, I will be there. Yahoo

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/32450.php#.VTS-adJVhHw

Anyway back to the games, everyone has had a weeks rest, except Dragons, I wonder if this will affect them, wins for the two West Wales sides on Saturday, soory to Blues and Dragons fans, I expect to see all the Welsh internationals that are not injured playing as well, I cannot wait. Wales boss Warren Gatland has said that this weekends matches will go a long way to him deciding his WC squad.

The Kiwi coach has identified the Millennium Stadium regional double-header later this month as a perfect opportunity for players to force the way into his plans.

Cardiff Blues take on the play-off chasing Ospreys in the first game of the day on Saturday, April 25, with the Dragons then facing Champions Cup hopefuls the Scarlets.

There will be a host of Wales contenders on duty and Gatland says watching them pit their wits against each other will inform his decision-making when it comes to picking his initial World Cup group.

On June 7, he names a 45-strong training squad, which will embark on a series of camps before playing warm-up fixtures against Ireland and Italy, with the group to be whittled down to a final 31 for this autumn’s global tournament.

So he says the selectors’ eyes will be firmly on Judgement Day III, which is on course for a record attendance, with more than 32,000 tickets having already been sold.

“We have been planning in earnest for this World Cup for some time now, but there are some things you can not plan for,” said Gatland.

“The clubs are approaching the business end of the season and when we name our preliminary RWC squad in June, form is going to be a major factor in our decision-making process.

“All of the national squad coaches will be watching even more closely on Judgement Day this year.

“There is nothing like a derby match to put players under pressure to perform and with the added extra factor of being played out at the Millennium Stadium it should be a revealing day from a coach’s point of view.

“We have a good idea of what our best team is at the moment and we have been really happy with the players in the Six Nations and particularly with the performance against Italy in that final weekend when they did everything that was asked of them.

“But there are always players that time it right and come into consideration at World Cup time when form becomes an incredibly important factor.

“You only have to look at the Sam Warburton who was named captain ahead of the 2011 Rugby World Cup after Matthew Rees missed out through injury and the partnership formed with Dan Lydiate and Toby Faletau in the back row, to see that.

“The door is open for someone to not only play themselves into the squad, but even into the starting line-up and all eyes will be on Judgement Day in April to see if someone can put their hands up.”

This will be the third year for the Pro12 Welsh derby double-header, which drew crowds of 36,174 and 30,411 in 2013 and 2014 respectively.

“Judgment Day is a great concept and a hugely popular event with the fans, but in a World Cup year it is just the kind of event which the coaches need to help inform the decision making process,” said Gatland.

Tickets are available for £10 from www.wru.wales/tickets, the WRU ticket office on Westgate Street, each of the four clubs, at local Tesco stores or by calling ticketmaster on 0844 847 1881.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/judgement-day-iii-wales-boss-9004568

Last edited by LordDowlais on Thu 23 Apr 2015, 2:30 pm; edited 3 times in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Judgement Day III-bigger crowd than European Champions Cup final- Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Judgement Day III-bigger crowd than European Champions Cup final- Thread

Post by justified sinner Sat 25 Apr 2015, 5:32 pm

Clancy you're incompetent you cannot give a try for that.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Judgement Day III-bigger crowd than European Champions Cup final- Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Judgement Day III-bigger crowd than European Champions Cup final- Thread

Post by The Saint Sat 25 Apr 2015, 5:33 pm

Didn't look as if he obstructed that much, Owens was able to run through 3 defenders and Clancy wasn't in the way of all 3. Both Williams' showing again why they should be Wales starters ahead of the France based contingent.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 25 Apr 2015, 5:36 pm

The Saint wrote:Didn't look as if he obstructed that much, Owens was able to run through 3 defenders and Clancy wasn't in the way of all 3. Both Williams' showing again why they should be Wales starters ahead of the France based contingent.

He was in the way of 2 of the players coming in from the side and in the way of any cover tackle attempt
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 25 Apr 2015, 5:48 pm

Now that one was obstruction.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 25 Apr 2015, 5:49 pm

The Saint wrote:Now that one was obstruction.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 25 Apr 2015, 5:52 pm

Owens and Priestland moved to a position to obstruct defenders.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 25 Apr 2015, 5:54 pm

The Saint wrote:Owens and Priestland moved to a position to obstruct defenders.

Priestland was behind Williams and so allowed to run any support line he wanted. Not sure about Owens near the ruck, would depend on if he changed his line, but would need to see more replays
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Apr 2015, 6:05 pm

No complaints here, Scarlets are just better all over the park than us today.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 25 Apr 2015, 6:31 pm

Wonder how much longer the both the coaches sons will be starters in our team.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 25 Apr 2015, 6:33 pm

The Saint wrote:Wonder how much longer the both the coaches sons will be starters in our team.

Who's that?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Apr 2015, 6:36 pm

wales606 wrote:
The Saint wrote:Wonder how much longer the both the coaches sons will be starters in our team.

Who's that?

Luc Jones at scrum half (Lyn's Son), Dorian Jones the outsides Half (Kingsley's son), Geraint rhys Jones at fullback (Kingsley's son).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Apr 2015, 6:40 pm

Congrats to the Scarlets. Well deserved. All over us. Created a bit more, but the main thing was you were just much more clinical. We messed up a lot so are mainly to blame, but taking nothing away from the Scarlets performance: clap

Well done to Liam Williams on 1) the man of the match award and 2) the haircut. Much better look.

Well done to the crowd too - 52k. New Pro12 record, although that seems a bit cheeky as effectively it was two attendances from two games, but hey ho.

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 25 Apr 2015, 7:03 pm

Griff wrote:Congrats to the Scarlets.  Well deserved.  All over us.  Created a bit more, but the main thing was you were just much more clinical.  We messed up a lot so are mainly to blame, but taking nothing away from the Scarlets performance: clap

Well done to Liam Williams on 1) the man of the match award and 2) the haircut.  Much better look.

Well done to the crowd too - 52k.  New Pro12 record, although that seems a bit cheeky as effectively it was two attendances from two games, but hey ho.

+1, enjoyed both games there are signs we may have a more competitive Pro 12 next and future years, I thought the Blues and the Dragons raised their game today well done all four teams.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 25 Apr 2015, 7:13 pm

Quite disappointing results from the east. I think Jones' sons (all 3 of them) are players for the wider squad. They've shown to me this year that they aren't cut out for playing against internationals. It's also funny to hear some of the Benjamin apologists go quiet today. Well done Scarlets and Ospreys - only two welsh teams capable of competing with the top 6.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 25 Apr 2015, 7:15 pm

Griff wrote:
wales606 wrote:

Who's that?

Luc Jones at scrum half (Lyn's Son), Dorian Jones the outsides Half (Kingsley's son), Geraint rhys Jones at fullback (Kingsley's son).

Ah, I was certainly wondering how on earth Dorian Jones is starting, the only time I notice him in games is when he makes a mistake.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 25 Apr 2015, 7:20 pm

The Saint wrote:Quite disappointing results from the east. I think Jones' sons (all 3 of them) are players for the wider squad. They've shown to me this year that they aren't cut out for playing against internationals. It's also funny to hear some of the Benjamin apologists go quiet today. Well done Scarlets and Ospreys - only two welsh teams capable of competing with the top 6.

Nothing to apologise about over Benjamin, he has had a good couple of games of late, no Cudd we all agree but was outplayed today as was most of the team.

It's such a shame Byrne has had to retire because we really need some experience in our young but exciting back line. We have improved up front with the likes of Harris, Boris and Landman but we are lacking experience behind.

Thought Liam Williams was outstanding and when you add that to the experience of Priestland and Sc Williams it was always going to be a tough ask for the likes of Amos and Morgan but thought they both showed up really well again.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 25 Apr 2015, 7:23 pm

Fair enough Bedford, but actually wasn't referring to you... I think we should open the wallet and bring in an experienced 10 for that reason, but I can't see it happening.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 25 Apr 2015, 7:27 pm

The Saint wrote:Fair enough Bedford, but actually wasn't referring to you... I think we should open the wallet and bring in an experienced 10 for that reason, but I can't see it happening.

With Byrne retiring surely that should free up a bit of cash to invest in an experienced 10 or maybe an experienced 12 to help develop Morgan and Dixon further. I know Goode was linked a while back but he's going to L Irish now I believe.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 25 Apr 2015, 7:28 pm

What's happened to Tovey?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 25 Apr 2015, 7:30 pm

wales606 wrote:What's happened to Tovey?

Was dropped for today I think which surprised me given our other options, he's been a bit hit n miss all season but would still have him in the squad.

One player who I hope we start giving more game time to is Meyer, he has looked sharp everytime he has come on and speaking for friends and family up in Ebbw he really is a top notch player.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 25 Apr 2015, 8:40 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
The Saint wrote:Fair enough Bedford, but actually wasn't referring to you... I think we should open the wallet and bring in an experienced 10 for that reason, but I can't see it happening.

With Byrne retiring surely that should free up a bit of cash to invest in an experienced 10 or maybe an experienced 12 to help develop Morgan and Dixon further.  I know Goode was linked a while back but he's going to L Irish now I believe.

Yeah. How long was Powell's contract? Wish we had made more of an effort to keep Jonny Evans too. Goode is actually a pretty awesome outside-half.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 25 Apr 2015, 8:44 pm

Powells been or being let go, Evans has really stood up of late but we are keeping Rees on board in some way shape or form.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 25 Apr 2015, 8:46 pm

WHAT A DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an event, people were saying that there were 60,000 people there today, is this true, I have only just got back home, back to Chatueax Dowlias, very tipsy to say the least, in fact quite drunk, two brilliant games, and I shoite you not, this happened, at about half way through the second half of the Dragons V Scarlets game, my wife, two daughters, my sister in law and her son, and my mother were all let in for nowt after their shopping, the only thing is, we had to move sets to sit with them so I ended up in the upper corner for the last twenty minutes, but who cares, two epic games, what an advertisement for our game.

Right, pass me the takeaway menu, grub is on me tonight. Right, time for a Stella artios. Yahoo Yahoo Ale RedWine

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 25 Apr 2015, 8:47 pm

52000+ was the official attendance given by the stadium announcer.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 25 Apr 2015, 8:58 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:52000+ was the official attendance given by the stadium announcer.

I'll take that. Yahoo

One of the best days out in ages. Hug

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 25 Apr 2015, 9:01 pm

Brilliant attendance and sounds like a great day out! A few of my Welsh mates went and looked like (from seeing Faceache photos) they had a cracking time.

Nice one Welsh regions Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 25 Apr 2015, 9:08 pm

Cyril wrote:Brilliant attendance and sounds like a great day out! A few of my Welsh mates went and looked like (from seeing Faceache photos) they had a cracking time.

Cyril,

I have been to the London one a fair few times as well and always said that I thought this would be a good idea and glad its catching on, yes there are a few who are against it and I do think its wrong that the same two teams (Dragons and Blues) lose out on actual home advantage though hardly any difference for the Blues.

In theory the perfect date would be the nearest Saturday to St Davids then it could really be a huge Welsh day/experience but the problem with that is most if not all the big names would be in camp with Wales for the 6 Nations so wouldn't play.

Today was great because all the big names were on show and you got to see some proper match ups, they said on TV that this is like only the 4th or 5th time that Warburton and Tipuric have actually gone head to head but those match ups are what we want to see.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 25 Apr 2015, 9:09 pm

Four players, one from each team stood out for me today, Dan Biggar, Josh Navidi, Liam Williams and Hallum Amos, also what stuck out like a sore thumb, was how young Dragons players looked, they need to get most of them tied down ASAP, if they can keep hold of their kids, they will be some team in the future.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 25 Apr 2015, 9:12 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Four players, one from each team stood out for me today, Dan Biggar, Josh Navidi, Liam Williams and Hallum Amos, also what stuck out like a sore thumb, was how young Dragons players looked, they need to get most of them tied down ASAP, if they can keep hold of their kids, they will be some team in the future.

Thought Biggar and AWJ were the difference today for the Os, Navidi and Baker showed up well against each other.

Liam Williams was great all game and Sc Williams showed his experience as well.

For us Amos and Morgan both showed up well but we desperately need some experience in that back line, Geraint Jones at XV was the oldest at 24 I think such a shame Byrne has to retire. Landman proved how much we have missed him after his act of stupidity as well.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 25 Apr 2015, 9:32 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Cyril wrote:Brilliant attendance and sounds like a great day out! A few of my Welsh mates went and looked like (from seeing Faceache photos) they had a cracking time.

Cyril,

I have been to the London one a fair few times as well and always said that I thought this would be a good idea and glad its catching on, yes there are a few who are against it and I do think its wrong that the same two teams (Dragons and Blues) lose out on actual home advantage though hardly any difference for the Blues.  

In theory the perfect date would be the nearest Saturday to St Davids then it could really be a huge Welsh day/experience but the problem with that is most if not all the big names would be in camp with Wales for the 6 Nations so wouldn't play.

Today was great because all the big names were on show and you got to see some proper match ups, they said on TV that this is like only the 4th or 5th time that Warburton and Tipuric have actually gone head to head but those match ups are what we want to see.
thumbsup Agree with that. It's a great day out whichever country it's in. Especially in eg Wales when all the sides are on show. Why can't they rotate the home sides for regions? Why don't Ireland do it?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 25 Apr 2015, 9:34 pm

Not sure why Ireland don't do it maybe the Provinces haven't agreed to it as for why they don't rotate it from what I can gather its the Blues and Dragons boards that agreed it would be one of their home games.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 25 Apr 2015, 9:40 pm

Ireland don't need it. Who needs a crowd when you have the refs?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Apr 2015, 9:48 pm

SecretFly wrote:Ireland don't need it.  Who needs a crowd when you have the refs?

I've heard the Pro12 bigwigs rig your league points too to make sure you all finish higher up the league. Feckers! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 25 Apr 2015, 9:58 pm

Cyril wrote:A few of my Welsh mates

Laugh Laugh Laugh

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 25 Apr 2015, 9:59 pm

You gotta know how to work the system Griff. Wink  
Leinster lost to Ulster yesterday but if you look at the table, they still picked up a winning bonus point.  

Lord will now go look to make sure I'm not telling the truth Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 25 Apr 2015, 10:05 pm

The Saint wrote:

Laugh Laugh Laugh
Aye Saint. Believe it or not, people get on outside of cyberspace Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 25 Apr 2015, 10:13 pm

Cyril wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Laugh Laugh Laugh
Aye Saint. Believe it or not, people get on outside of cyberspace Smile

If you had just said mates then some people might have believed you... But Welsh mates? Just LOL!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Apr 2015, 10:48 pm

Sorry to interrupt the love in, but today summed up why I didn't want to go. Train down was a nightmare, expensive beer, Mexican waves, air horns, paper aeroplanes and a pretty rubbish atmosphere compared to what we would've had at Rodney.

Still, as long as we all had a good day out, who cares.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 25 Apr 2015, 10:58 pm

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The wheels on the train goes round and round.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm

Who do you think are damned if you do, damned if you don't though?

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 25 Apr 2015, 11:18 pm

The Organisers.  The people behind the day who are obviously trying to capture a bigger potential audience for Pro12 games in Wales?  Now that's not trying to suggest all Pro12 games between Welsh sides should now be double headers in the Millennium each week... but trying to excite people that might not have attended a Regional game before, or often; and hoping even some of them now decide to go back or go for a first time to the games in the Home Grounds.

An advertisement - saying this is the Pro12, these are your Regions.  Come out and support them through the year.

That's my point about being damned if they do (your complaints about the day) and damned if they don't (try to sell the Product better and reach out for more followers)

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Apr 2015, 11:34 pm

I would probably be more on side if Dragons didn't lose a home game every season. As I ask anybody who supports it, if it's about showcasing then why not split the home games?

I've not seen a good answer as to how it benefits us. If it's potential bigger gates, we should've given up our euro quarter v Cardiff, if we can afford to sacrifice real home advantage. I can't wait to take my airhorn and paper aeroplanes to Rodney parade in our next game v Edinburgh now though.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 26 Apr 2015, 9:27 am

The airhorns and trains are a nightmare at the MS full stop no matter who is playing there.

I agree on the rotating of home games but would we have got that size a crowd for the Euro tie or considerably larger than what was at RP though Rev after all it would still have only been 2 sides not 4?

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Apr 2015, 9:56 am

You probably would've got a few more casual supporters going, particularly those who won't come to Rodney Parade.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Apr 2015, 9:59 am

The area around the train station will get worse over the next few years as BBC Wales build their new HQ in front of it

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 26 Apr 2015, 10:11 am

IronMike wrote:The area around the train station will get worse over the next few years as BBC Wales build their new HQ in front of it

And we will continue to have Friday night games Doh
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 26 Apr 2015, 12:25 pm

52,762 tells its own story about the efforts that have been going on for years with the Welsh regions in getting fans through the turnstiles.  Admittedly it requires two matches to do it, but 26,000 per match on average per match is up there with a Munster/Leinster match in Thomond Park - the benchmark for a single Pro 12 match at a club's home stadium.

Whoever was responsible for marketing and promoting the event should be hired pronto by the Welsh regions to up their weekly gates - paid for from a central contributory fund from the RRW.  

And it was all available on free to air TV as I understand it with BBC Wales and S4C televising the event.  Unfortunately, not available to some viewers in other Pro12 countries.  It would be great if these FTA networks were available or provided feeds to other Pro12 countries so that all games would be available to watch.  

Great performance by the WRU and its marketing people.

More please.

Last edited by Pot Hale on Mon 27 Apr 2015, 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sun 26 Apr 2015, 12:37 pm

How did Anscombe go against Bigggar?

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 26 Apr 2015, 12:40 pm

samuraidragon wrote:How did Anscombe go against Bigggar?

Anscombe was okay, not helped by being on the back foot a lot and not happing much support outside him,

Biggar was fantastic, he's become the complete 10, his running, kicking and passing game was first class.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 26 Apr 2015, 1:59 pm

wales606 wrote:
samuraidragon wrote:How did Anscombe go against Bigggar?

Anscombe was okay, not helped by being on the back foot a lot and not happing much support outside him,

Biggar was fantastic, he's become the complete 10, his running, kicking and passing game was first class.

Nothing I watched of Anscombe yesterday changed my mind that he's been over hyped and not seen anything to see why he has been fast tracked onto a DC.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next