The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Rumours of Hopkins Vs Stevenson Going Around

+12
Hammersmith harrier
Mr Bounce
TRUSSMAN66
hazharrison
TopHat24/7
Coxy001
JohnPrescottsJab
Lance
AdamT
RanjitPatel
Baby faced assassin
AlexHuckerby
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Big Rumours of Hopkins Vs Stevenson Going Around Empty Big Rumours of Hopkins Vs Stevenson Going Around

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 17 Feb 2016, 6:02 pm

Lot of rumours that this fight will be announced very shortly, supposedly in Montreal, don't know whether it'll be on PBC or HBO.

Thoughts?

I think Hopkins should retire, but if someone has been dedicated enough to have one last crack it's probably him, but man... He's in his 50's!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Big Rumours of Hopkins Vs Stevenson Going Around Empty Re: Big Rumours of Hopkins Vs Stevenson Going Around

Post by Baby faced assassin Wed 17 Feb 2016, 6:38 pm

Bhop really is an alien he's set so many records and should be lauded. Say what you want but he's a class operator and is an athlete...........untill his last fight

He didn't embarrass himself against Kovalev and somehow managed to last the 12.......but he was dominated and took a real pummeling in the end, the type of pummeling a fighter in his prime could struggle to come back to, let alone a 50 year old

Add that was back in 2014, and Stevenson for all his negatives (mostly with his matchmaking) is a very good boxer and a explosive one

Cant say this is a exciting prospect at all
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Big Rumours of Hopkins Vs Stevenson Going Around Empty Re: Big Rumours of Hopkins Vs Stevenson Going Around

Post by RanjitPatel Wed 17 Feb 2016, 7:23 pm

The man is unreal. Kovalev and Stevenson within a couple of fights at his age. Mad.

Stevenson is normally pretty entertaining but this could be a stinker. Stevenson will have to lead which could be intriguing but you can't expect much more than for Hopkins to try to survive at his age.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 17 Feb 2016, 8:27 pm

Atg Bhop. He would fight anyone, past or present. Not afraid to lose. Massive respect to the man.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 17 Feb 2016, 8:50 pm

Shame he couldn't get this fight before Kovalev. He certainly tried. It's a far more winnable fight, but its harder now than 18 months ago.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Wed 17 Feb 2016, 9:43 pm

Agree there Lance. Although it was a winnable fight, don't think it is anymore. It'd be a huge shock.

It a shame that Stevenson isn't looking to fight someone a tad younger.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnPrescottsJab Wed 17 Feb 2016, 10:01 pm

I think what Hopkins has done to this day is remarkable. He is truly a rare breed of athelete. I mean look at the shambles that is Roy Jones Jr. who is 47. I think he should just have this last fight and retire. Nothing left to prove and get away with his faculties in tact

JohnPrescottsJab

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 18 Feb 2016, 12:02 am

What's unreal is we thought Hopkins was too old and about done at 36 going in against Trinidad all the way back in 2001!! Thought he was finished after calzaghe, then he comes back and embarasses Pavlik, becomes oldest ever champ against Pascal loses it but then breaks his record and does it at 48, becomes oldest man to unify, I dunno if you can ever count the man out, I simply cannot bet against Hopkins, he defies logic

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 8:13 am

After watching Kovalev dismantle him I'd be worried for Bhop. Was eking out every last sinew of ability and physicality to keep him at the level he was, sadly the decline is going to be pretty quick at his age and he could get hurt.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 9:14 am

Another joke from SuperDuck.

Impressive but sad in equal measure from Bhop - just wish he'd call it a day! He must have enough money now and surely he can pick up sufficient post-boxing work.....tragic that commissions still licence him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:04 am

I need to get some of whatever Hopkins is taking.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:05 am

No you don't........The guy is going to end up like Jerry Quarry and Muhammad Ali..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:08 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No you don't........The guy is going to end up like Jerry Quarry and Muhammad Ali..

Maybe. Apart from the fact he's taken about 1% of the punches Quarry did and a fraction of the concussive shots Ali fielded. Jones is way more of a tragedy in the making - he's actually being repeatedly concussed.

Hopkins-type longevity will probably become less freakish going forward. Look at Pacquiao. The amount of wars he's been in, he should be shot to smithereens. Good stuff they're training on these days!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:12 am

hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No you don't........The guy is going to end up like Jerry Quarry and Muhammad Ali..

Maybe. Apart from the fact he's taken about 1% of the punches Quarry did and a fraction of the concussive shots Ali fielded. Jones is way more of a tragedy in the making - he's actually being repeatedly concussed.

Hopkins-type longevity will probably become less freakish going forward. Look at Pacquiao. The amount of wars he's been in, he should be shot to smithereens. Good stuff they're training on these days!

The body when it gets older finds "recovery" harder.....

Kind of why younger people recover better from serious illnesses... Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:13 am

I for one will laugh if Superduck gets outpointed by the wily old fox. I think it's such a shame that the 2 best light heavies are not fighting and that one seems intent on continuing to avoid.

Like him or loathe him, Kovalev has gone about being number 1 in the best possible way by going after all the other belts. I just wish that they would make the damn fight.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:22 am

"Superduck".....Is that the new mature term for Stevo.....

It's what happens when you reside in North America and your opposition is similar to an Eastern bloc bigot fellow titlist is it..???

Dawson......Cloud....Bellew...Fonfara..Terrible !!!!!!

Cleverly.....50 yr old......Pascal x 2.....Wow !!!!!!

America = bad..

Eastern bloc = good.... thumbsup ..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:24 am

Stevenson is doing everything he can not to fight him, that is pretty clear. If he's going to duck and avoid he could at least fight someone half decent though. Not saying Bhop isn't, is just that he got stuffed by Kovalev and it finally appears he has nothing left to spoil and foul with.

He knows Kovalev is going to crack that chin of his. Could at least take the inevitable like a man!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:26 am

Coxy001 wrote: Could at least take the inevitable like a man!

How many fights have you had..??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:33 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Kind of why younger people recover better from serious illnesses... Rolling Eyes

No signs of any brain damage yet. Contrast that with Quarry and Ali at 51.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:34 am

Stop sticking up for him, rest of the boxing world views him as a joke. You trying to use other examples is a poorly constructed argument to try and quantify why Stevenson isn't ducking Kovalev when the factual truth for most neutrals is that he wants no piece of him.

And fights? Pro fights? Outside amateur sparring? None. But as one of us didn't spend their time taking steroids and pumping iron I'm better versed than you in what it takes to grow a pair be it taking on a 18st prop bearing down on you or facing quick bowlers on a surface that you know you're going to end up wearing some on.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:34 am

hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

They weren't fighting at 51....

Brain damage isn't confined to boxing it seems..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:37 am

Truss whinges like a kid and presses the report button when he gets thrown an insult, then goes on to accuse dear old Haz of being brain damaged.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:39 am

Coxy001 wrote:Stop sticking up for him, rest of the boxing world views him as a joke. You trying to use other examples is a poorly constructed argument to try and quantify why Stevenson isn't ducking Kovalev when the factual truth for most neutrals is that he wants no piece of him.

And fights? Pro fights? Outside amateur sparring? None. But as one of us didn't spend their time taking steroids and pumping iron I'm better versed than you in what it takes to grow a pair be it taking on a 18st prop bearing down on you or facing quick bowlers on a surface that you know you're going to end up wearing some on.

If you'd ever done sports at a decent level.....You'd have more respect for those involved.....To you everyone is crap...a loser or a coward..

Everything is black and white.......

You're so macho and bombastic.... (loud but empty)..........I'm in awe of you... Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:40 am

Coxy001 wrote:Truss whinges like a kid and presses the report button when he gets thrown an insult, then goes on to accuse dear old Haz of being brain damaged.

Your posting history is choc fall of personal invective against me (every other post you make is personal)......my guess is if I wanted you kicked off...I'd have a great chance of getting what I wanted...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:45 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

They weren't fighting at 51....

Brain damage isn't confined to boxing it seems..

Quarry and Ali suffered numerous poundings (Ali, while never being stopped, rode out various concussions mid-fight).

Hopkins has rarely been clocked. Outside of Mercado I don't remember him being hurt. There's always the chance of an injury but, like a good journeyman, Hopkins is crafty enough not to get hurt badly.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:49 am

My view on this is simple, since than t-shirt I don't think or want Stevenson to give Kovalev a payday whilst there is no real difference between their opposition.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 10:59 am

Fact: reported me for a supposed insult
Fact: called Haz brain damaged

Ergo, contradiction.

And I'm so pleased for you that you seem to think that after 34000 posts you have the power to get me booted off. Not quite like having the keys to London mind you.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:01 am

Toppy called him "Superduck" Truss and I thought it was an apt description. He's been very clear in wanting no part of Kovalev. And unlike you Truss I don't care where the fighter is from if they're good enough and also good to watch. So stop with the "Eastern bloc vs North America" garbage. If it was the other way round and Kovalev was obviously ducking Stevenson I would have exactly the same opinion.

In a world where avoiding fighters is the norm, someone who actually seeks out the better fighters is a refreshing change. Not saying that you should like it (everyone has their favourites) but at least look at it from a boxing fan's perspective. We want to see the best fights.Stevenson clearly doesn't, hence why I am less of a fan of his than Kovalev.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:01 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:My view on this is simple, since than t-shirt I don't think or want Stevenson to give Kovalev a payday whilst there is no real difference between their opposition.

Beautifully summed up....

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:05 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:Truss whinges like a kid and presses the report button when he gets thrown an insult, then goes on to accuse dear old Haz of being brain damaged.

Your posting history is choc fall of personal invective against me (every other post you make is personal)......my guess is if I wanted you kicked off...I'd have a great chance of getting what I wanted...

To be fair Truss, Coxy is rude and obnoxious across the board. It's just his internet persona. No doubt a lovely lad in real life.

He also plays in a very competitive local cricket league, where it seems Mitchell Johnson practices his beamers for one of the opposition second/third teams.

He's attempted to tackle a big lad on the rugby field, he's probably also played golf on a cold and windy day.

There isn't a middle class sport he hasn't risked life and limb in. It doesn't get more school of hard knocks than that. Don't mess big fella, you're out of your league.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:07 am

Coxy001 wrote:Fact: reported me for a supposed insult
Fact: called Haz brain damaged

Ergo, contradiction.

And I'm so pleased for you that you seem to think that after 34000 posts you have the power to get me booted off.

I don't want you booted off................Because while you're abusing me ad nauseum...Someone else is being left alone....

I don't find you interesting or challenging.......But you do have the right to abuse me and good luck to you.....Freedom of speech and all that..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:21 am

Thank you for the kind words Milky. Although I would like to think I'm blunt rather than the above. But what do I care as mother Theresa hasn't got sh*t on me in real life

And I'm not abusing you truss, I'm pointing out your slightly contradictory victimisation tone when you accused Haz of being brain damaged. And I've had debates with most on this board as milky has pointed out, sorry to break it to you but I haven't singled you out for special anything.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:21 am

And now back to Stevenson ducking Kovalev

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:21 am

Coxy001 wrote:Thank you for the kind words Milky. Although I would like to think I'm blunt rather than the above. But what do I care as mother Theresa hasn't got sh*t on me in real life

And I'm not abusing you truss, I'm pointing out your slightly contradictory victimisation tone when you accused Haz of being brain damaged. And I've had debates with most on this board as milky has pointed out, sorry to break it to you but I haven't singled you out for special anything.

Glad you pointed it out.... thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:34 am

Sad to see Hopkins fighting on, but from another perspective very admirable, particularly after the kovalev fight. Stevenson's style gives him better chances I think but he moves like an old man these days.

As for Stevenson being superduck. Well kovalev is very vocal about wanting the fight and kathy duva equally vocal about stevenson not wanting it, but there's always another side to the story. It's duva insisting on HBO, when Stevenson's a haymon fighter wanting a showtime/hbo split.

Hey, she claims that was the premise behind of all the negotiations, but it's pretty hard to get a balanced view on any contract negotiation fallouts and it's no different with the much anticipated "pimp v bigot: battle of the nice guys". Is it stevenson who doesn't want the fight, or just politics. Duva wants it on her terms, haymon only wants it on his?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 11:42 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:My view on this is simple, since than t-shirt I don't think or want Stevenson to give Kovalev a payday whilst there is no real difference between their opposition.

Which was so much worse than being a ho-slapping pimp??

Think the moral card is not one that can really be played here.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 1:31 pm

If B-Hop has anything left I'd back him to beat Stevenson by a UD. If Krusher couldn't KO the Alien, I don't see Stevenson KOing Hopkins either.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 18 Feb 2016, 1:41 pm

That doesn't really hold up as an argument, Kovalev racially abused Stevenson, that is specific to him.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 1:54 pm

I'm not sure Stevenson claiming the moral high ground as a reason not to fight Kovalev holds much water.

Kovalev may come back with he will never fight him due to him assaulting women.

Just bloody fight each other either way!!!!! This has got JuanMa vs Gamboa all over it again, by that I mean they may be trying to build it up and it all gets rodgered when one of them (Stevenson) gets KTFO.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Feb 2016, 1:58 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:What's unreal is we thought Hopkins was too old and about done at 36 going in against Trinidad all the way back in 2001!!  Thought he was finished after calzaghe, then he comes back and embarasses Pavlik, becomes oldest ever champ against Pascal loses it but then breaks his record and does it at 48, becomes oldest man to unify, I dunno if you can ever count the man out, I simply cannot bet against Hopkins, he defies logic

What when you were 9? thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:00 pm

If Kovalev was genuinely racist do you really think John David Jackson would still be his trainer?

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:10 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:If Kovalev was genuinely racist do you really think John David Jackson would still be his trainer?

Wants to earn a living..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:12 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:That doesn't really hold up as an argument, Kovalev racially abused Stevenson, that is specific to him.

They are both unpleasant people that have both done unpleasant things in the past. That is specific to both. And doesn't excuse SuperDuck who has no moral high-ground to take whatsoever, despite Kov's 'attack' being personal to him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:If Kovalev was genuinely racist do you really think John David Jackson would still be his trainer?

Wants to earn a living..
I'm pretty sure Jackson, being a former world champion, isn't that hard up for cash.

Last edited by Jermaine2015 on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:20 pm

You're kidding right ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:21 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You're kidding right ??
Typo. Corrected.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 Feb 2016, 2:34 pm

Stevenson caused the TV divide when he moved over to Showtime to (allegedly) chase a Hopkins fight (when the Kovalev fight was sitting on the table). He then priced himself out of the Hopkins fight (with Hopkins electing to face Kovalev instead).

Stevenson went the easier, more lucrative route.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 18 Feb 2016, 3:08 pm

Stevenson is a ducker. Stevie Wonder can see that.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Feb 2016, 3:13 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:If B-Hop has anything left I'd back him to beat Stevenson by a UD. If Krusher couldn't KO the Alien, I don't see Stevenson KOing Hopkins either.

Fighting thirty seconds a round...

He'll stink the place out.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 18 Feb 2016, 3:13 pm

Don't watch it then.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next