The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 6 Nations 2017 - Who Will, and Who Won't???

+14
Gooseberry
mid_gen
Hammersmith harrier
No 7&1/2
Pete330v2
Cyril
TJ
Scottrf
mystiroakey
RiscaGame
munkian
GunsGermsV2
George Carlin
Mr Bounce
18 posters

Go down

The 6 Nations 2017 - Who Will, and Who Won't??? Empty The 6 Nations 2017 - Who Will, and Who Won't???

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 23 Jan 2017, 10:13 pm

Ok - it's prediction time. Who do you think will do well or have a nightmare this championship? Take 6 players from your own team (mine is England) and give some reasons why you think they'll do well/badly (3 of each). Currently injured players don't count, so Robshaw & the Vunipolas can rest easy... This is only a bit of fun, so don't take it too seriously Hug boxing

3 who will:

Daly - plays well in any position he is put in and strongly puts the nightmare of the Argentina game firmly behind him.
Itoje - continues his excellent run in an England shirt and gets himself in contention to be a Lions starter.
Sinckler - I have been really impressed by his recent off-the-bench cameos. If he continues along the same lines he could be pushing Cole for the starting shirt in a few months.

3 who won't:

Harrison - Was only ever a stop-gap backrow forward. He is no Haskell and this shows as he makes a few errors. This does not sit well with Jones, and he gets ejected from the EPS next time round.
Brown - With both Daly and Watson pushing for starting spots and showing better form Mr Angry finds himself out of favour and drops out of the 23 by the end of the tournament.
Ford - I have sneaking suspicion that the tiny but tough 10 is going to be missing from a few games through injury.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

The 6 Nations 2017 - Who Will, and Who Won't??? Empty Re: The 6 Nations 2017 - Who Will, and Who Won't???

Post by George Carlin Tue 24 Jan 2017, 8:49 am

Scotland:

3 who will do well:

- Huw Jones - the boy is just getting warmed up. If he partners with Duncan Taylor, that could be special.
- Finn Russell - on a hot streak.
- Tommy Seymour - 8 tries in the Pro12 already this season and a clutch in ERCC. One of the most underrated wingers in Europe - nobody is better under the high ball or at reading an intercept pass. He is good enough for a test start with the Lions but almost certainly won't have one.

3 who may not:

- Alan Dell - Alastair Dickinson's shoes are too big for him to fill. A real drop off in quality.
- Tim Swinson - he has been brilliant in Europe but has always faded in the last quarter of test matches against much bigger men. Not his fault.
- Ryan Wilson - things are going too well for him at the moment, so I fully expect a crucial yellow card which will cost us the match.

A man who could easily fit into either category is Cornell du Preez. He could be an absolute revelation or he could absolutely suck old man todgers. Absolutely no idea whether the beast or the diddy will show up.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The 6 Nations 2017 - Who Will, and Who Won't??? Empty Re: The 6 Nations 2017 - Who Will, and Who Won't???

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 1:09 pm

Ireland:

3 who will do well:

Murray - Probably our best player at the moment.
Jackson - Sexton is bound to be injured for half the tournament. Expect Jackson to take over well.
Furlong - Continues to impress

Wont:
POM - Will be on the bench
Kearney - Surely his last 6N even if he is only 30
Scannell brothers - Think they will be cut from the Ireland squad and wont feature in any match day squads.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Jan 2017, 1:36 pm

Wales:

Webb: Genuine class. Has had his injury problems, and missing the World Cup did him no favours, but for me he's at least on par with any other scrum half in the NH. Now much more of a senior figure, the only thing standing in his way is match fitness.
Warburton: Providing he stays fit (!?!) I think this has all the hallmarks of him shining in what could be an underwhelming Welsh team, or perhaps being a catalyst for a boom in form. I think he'll start at 6 with Tipuric at 7, allowing his physical stature around the breakdown (a little like Haskell has been doing for England) to come to the fore, whilst Tipuric takes the sneakier steals. Don't write him off. Relinquishing the captaincy might see the shackles released.
Liam Williams/Halfpenny: I think they're going to drive each other on, regardless of who starts at 15, and who starts on the wing. Halfpenny looked as good in the loose in the Autumn as he has for years. Liam Williams has talent, but did make a few successive errors to allow Japan to draw level in the Autumn which- with a more structured, defensively minded player in Halfpenny alongside him- may see him tighten up and become less erratic. I might be wrong, but as they are pretty much Yin and Yang, I can see them improving together.

The Centres: Jamie Roberts will start despite not deserving to. Scott Williams- who should start at 12- will be put to 13 to accommodate Roberts. Scott will be a square peg as a result, and against pacey and tricky 13s from a lot of teams, notably Scotland and England, may be be appear lacking. Jonathan Davies will replace him, by which time we're back to that old pairing which- despite playing together more than any other centre partnership- display very little understanding of one another.
Alex Cuthbert: Doesn't matter if he plays. Doesn't matter if he doesn't play. It's not going to go well for Alex.
The Hookers: Ken Owens has had mixed form this season, and although the most taleneted, has looked far better coming off the bench for Wales than starting. Scott Baldwin's 18 month purple patch is now behind him. He's adequate, but nothing more, and for a team that needs a solid set piece, that's not promising. Kristian Dacey is significantly worse than both.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:29 pm

Not sure why Dacey was picked over Dee - he's very mediocre.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:36 pm

Dee gets shafted by the insistence of picking TRT over him. Plus he does seem to pick up knocks a fair bit.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 24 Jan 2017, 5:12 pm

England:

Farrell. Getting better and better - I am starting to see a man that is mentally strong.
Lawes. Beast of a player - in great confidence
Youngs. I think we will pass it about a bit and he will be integral

Despite being a big fan of Brown back in the day. I am not convinced any more. He seems have lost a bit. ( i do hope I am wrong)
Cole - not a huge fan and think he could be replaced by many others.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 24 Jan 2017, 6:42 pm

Glad someone mentioned Lawes. Back in excellent form yet not getting talked about at all. One of our best players in the AIs too IMO.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 24 Jan 2017, 7:07 pm

For Scotland - Watson will cement his place in the team with some fine displays of being a bloody pest and at some point someone will lamp him for being such a bloody pest

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:07 pm

TJ wrote:For Scotland - Watson will cement his place in the team with some fine displays of being a bloody pest and at some point someone will lamp him for being such a bloody pest
The world needs to know his name.

The 2nd most 'mentioned' Scottish guy after that Gray bloke.

PS Apart from Finn 'Average' Russell

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 25 Jan 2017, 1:19 am

Fishing Cyril?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 25 Jan 2017, 5:32 am

Cyril wrote:
TJ wrote:For Scotland - Watson will cement his place in the team with some fine displays of being a bloody pest and at some point someone will lamp him for being such a bloody pest

I do usually enjoy your trolling Cyril but that one is less artful than your usual offerings.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 25 Jan 2017, 8:07 am

George Carlin wrote:
Cyril wrote:

I do usually enjoy your trolling Cyril but that one is less artful than your usual offerings.
Everyone's a critic. Pot Hale gave me 1/10.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed 25 Jan 2017, 9:12 am

mystiroakey wrote:England:

Farrell. Getting better and better - I am starting to see a man that is mentally strong.
Lawes. Beast of a player - in great confidence
Youngs. I think we will pass it about a bit and he will be integral

Despite being a big fan of Brown back in the day. I am not convinced any more. He seems have lost a bit. ( i do hope I am wrong)
Cole - not a huge fan and think he could be replaced by many others.

Could you only come up with two? Do you need a hand?

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 25 Jan 2017, 9:26 am

Ireland.

Will:
Zebo: He's hitting a rich vein of form at the moment and I think he'll give us some good viewing over the course of the tournament.
Furlong: This man just gets better and better, the Irish 'Beeeeeast'
Stander: A bit obvious this one but all other nations beware.

Won't:
......this isn't easy, they are all playing really well.
Bowe: Will he even see any game time in green? He's well off his old pace and form but who knows.
Sexton: He's always targeted by opposition and gets injured far too often because of that. Perhaps won't feature in half the tournament to protect him.
Gilroy: Won't feature unless there's an injury crisis, has had no club game time like Bowe.

The 'won't' were so difficult, all three of mine can do a perfectly good job on the day but the squad is so strong this season, stronger than I can remember for years.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed 25 Jan 2017, 9:41 am

I agree re Sexton, great player but targeted too much and spends too much time injured lately.

Im worried Murray could turn into the next target.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 25 Jan 2017, 9:49 am

Bound to be. Murray for me is your most important player; shutting him down makes a strength to a weakness. People will also have taken note from the press he doesn't like it.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed 25 Jan 2017, 10:07 am

This is all true. He probably mentioned it to the press so referees take notice too.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 25 Jan 2017, 10:11 am

Not much they can do really.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 25 Jan 2017, 10:13 am

Scottrf wrote:Glad someone mentioned Lawes. Back in excellent form yet not getting talked about at all. One of our best players in the AIs too IMO.

Still has a reputation for his big hits but he's an absolute work horse nowadays, I'm sure I read that only Robshaw got through more work than he did during the AIs.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 25 Jan 2017, 10:42 am

Since when is 'targeting' a 9 or a 10 a new thing ? Jesus Zombie Christ Rolling Eyes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed 25 Jan 2017, 10:52 am

munkian wrote:Since when is 'targeting' a 9 or a 10 a new thing ? Jesus Zombie Christ Rolling Eyes

Keep your pants on Munkian. The point is the better they get the more a target they become. Murray and Sexton are the best half backs in the six nations now.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by mid_gen Wed 25 Jan 2017, 11:09 am

England

Farrell - Keeps getting better
Nowell - As above
Haskell - If fit, back to his Aus form

Ford - Not really up to the job without Farrell protecting him imo
Brown - I'm a huge fan but his lack of gas is starting to let him down, expect one of our speedy youngsters to be starting by the end of the tournament if they have been performing
Youngs - If Robson gets some decent time off the bench or Care finds form he could be in trouble, his passing is dreadful still.

mid_gen

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 25 Jan 2017, 11:19 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
munkian wrote:Since when is 'targeting' a 9 or a 10 a new thing ? Jesus Zombie Christ Rolling Eyes

Keep your pants on Munkian. The point is the better they get the more a target they become. Murray and Sexton are the best half backs in the six nations now.

Alright petal, it wasn't aimed at you, it was a general moan in response to all the teeth gnashing over the last week or so.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed 25 Jan 2017, 11:31 am

munkian wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Alright petal, it wasn't aimed at you, it was a general moan in response to all the teeth gnashing over the last week or so.

No problem snowflake. Very Happy

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 25 Jan 2017, 11:43 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
munkian wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

No problem snowflake. Very Happy

Like, own your racism dude
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 25 Jan 2017, 11:47 am

Move on munk. You obviously don't want to be seen as racist and to be fair I've not seen you post anything racist since so thats a good step for you.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 25 Jan 2017, 11:51 am

606 seems obsessed with Brown getting dropped ever since Jones took charge. I dont see any indication of this from Jones himself or in the press.

The Ford farrell axis too .. OK it was a plan B when it was put in place but Jones is very pragmatic and willing to change his views when he finds something that works. And it has worked. he obviously loves what Ford brings to the running game, so again despite some people hgating him hes not likley to go anywhere quickly ...especially if England keep winning. Ditto Farrell (who is more vulnerable IMO)

In terms of the initial question ...
Plusses:

Daly .. I Think hes Jones' golden boy at the minute. He could be the best utility back England have had since Healy.

Jamie George - in 10 minutes per game he will do everything better than Hartley. Or at least if you ask beshocked he will.

Poosies:

AWJ - Capatining a side to a 0-5 wooden spoon is not going to enhance his Lions chances.

Some massively overyped scottish guy that most people have to google to find out what team he even plays for (what Visser up to these days?)

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Jan 2017, 12:33 pm

I like how you've bent the rules there to have a go at other countries, Gooseberry. I reckon if you and mystiroakey put your heads together, you could come up with at least one more negative for England...surely...?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 25 Jan 2017, 12:34 pm

miaow wrote:I like how you've bent the rules there to have a go at other countries, Gooseberry. I reckon if you and mystiroakey put your heads together, you could come up with at least one more negative for England...surely...?

Its just for fun so you have no right to be offended just to draw an argument. THATS THE RULES

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Jan 2017, 12:39 pm

Haha. Should have put a smiley. Definitely not offended boxing

In any case, I reckon Eddie Jones would be a good negative, no?

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 25 Jan 2017, 12:40 pm

Cyril wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Everyone's a critic. Pot Hale gave me 1/10.

Laugh

Last edited by George Carlin on Wed 25 Jan 2017, 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Jan 2017, 12:55 pm

I think the big will one for Ireland is, will Stuart McCloskey be given a chance ? Because he does deserve it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 25 Jan 2017, 1:10 pm

3 who will do well:

J Gray - He will be Mr Consistent and do all the hard grunt work - and continue to develop his leadership abilities

Price - He will start to get more game time and his speed and snipping will be a welcome change for Scotland at no 9.

Seymour - Not flashy in the media, but I think is currently one of the best wingers in the NH - another chance to shine

Wont:

Hogg - Not that he will likely play badly, but he will struggle to match the fantastic performance of last year. He will also have every mistake highlighted and magnified 1 millions times (including how he laces his boots). 1 miss tackle will mean he should retire from rugby and should not even consider himself within the top 100 current fullbacks call Hogg (Who play for Glasgow)

Wilson - playing well for Glasgow, but seems to struggle for Scotland (Certainly not consistent) - likely get frustrated and get sent off

Ford - will put a lot of effort in, but think the time to start with a new hooker is now. Darts will fail him on the 5 m line (Both attacking and defending)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed 25 Jan 2017, 1:29 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I think the big will one for Ireland is, will Stuart McCloskey be given a chance ? Because he does deserve it.

Id say he will. Jared Payne is out and subs will be used. He is in the squad so I see no reason why not.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Jan 2017, 1:35 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:I think the big will one for Ireland is, will Stuart McCloskey be given a chance ? Because he does deserve it.

Id say he will. Jared Payne is out and subs will be used. He is in the squad so I see no reason why not.

He is a better player than Jared Payne, IMO. Plus he is actually Irish. Very Happy

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 25 Jan 2017, 1:53 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

He is a better player than Jared Payne, IMO. Plus he is actually Irish. Very Happy

McCloskey is not well liked by Joe and recently has been defensively lacking. It'll be up to Stu to change Joe's opinion of him.
I don't think he's a better player than Payne who defensively we'll miss badly in his organizational role. I'd love to see big Stu get another run out though, he can be unstoppable.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed 25 Jan 2017, 2:00 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

That's debatable Run

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 25 Jan 2017, 3:21 pm

I don't think McCloskey should play until he gets rid of that man bun.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidsnowman Thu 26 Jan 2017, 6:41 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I don't think McCloskey should play until he gets rid of that man bun.

+1

Makes him look like a skinny sumo wrestler

rapidsnowman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down