The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You

+35
IanBru
MacKnocked-on
George Carlin
nickj
EST
RuggerRadge2611
funnyExiledScot
Anglobraveheart
BigGee
bsando
formerly known as Sam
Manky-Flanker
Majestic83
Welly
Cardiff Dave
RiscaGame
Scottrf
Chainsaw Laney
furra_linee
Hazel Sapling
Eejit
R!skysports
CraigS1874
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Nematode
SirBurger
Geen sport voor watjes
highland_scot
SecretFly
A Simply Mesmeric Try
whocares
cakeordeath
TJ
39 posters

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You

Post by IanBru Tue 28 Mar 2017, 10:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 Jessie10          Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 Glasgo10
Edinburgh & Glasgow Warriors

A Not So Brief History of Time-Wasting:

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 Giphy

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 110

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 210

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 311

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 410

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 510

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 610

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 710

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 810

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 910

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 1010

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 1110

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 1210

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 1310

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 1410

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 1510

Guinness Pro12

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 Giphy

Guinness Pro12 Website
Edinburgh Rugby (Pro12 Website)
Glasgow Warriors (Pro12 Website)
Guinness Pro12 2016/17 Overview (Ultimate Rugby)

Playlist of all of Edinburgh's Pro12 highlights here.
Playlist of all of Glasgow's Pro12 highlights here.

Europe

European Rugby Website

CHAMPIONS CUP
QUARTER FINAL
SARACENS v GLASGOW WARRIORS
Sun, Apr 2, 13:00, Allianz Park

CHALLENGE CUP
QUARTER FINAL
EDINBURGH v LA ROCHELLE
Fri, March 31, 19:00, Murrayfield Stadium

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 Airplane-we-re-counting_o_GIFSoupcom
"I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you."
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You

Post by nickj Mon 15 May 2017, 11:05 am

I wonder if Hunter Hill coming in spells the end for Bresler?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You

Post by nickj Mon 15 May 2017, 11:08 am

Has Ally Miller already been announced?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 15 May 2017, 11:12 am

nickj wrote:I wonder if Hunter Hill coming in spells the end for Bresler?

He wasn't listed as one of the names leaving the club.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigS1874 Mon 15 May 2017, 11:34 am

I wouldnt be surprised if at least 1 of the other 2 are Prem 1 players, harvey elms or josh henderson are real possibilities. But sometimes I do question the recruitment policies at edinburgh Rolling Eyes

Robbie Nairn or another from down south is also possible

CraigS1874

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 15 May 2017, 11:40 am

George Carlin wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:Edinburgh have just tweeted; 'COMING UP | We’ll be announcing the signing of three of Scottish rugby’s most exciting talents throughout the course of the day...'
Sounds like some young players from the U20s or possibly London Scottish?
I'm assuming that they finally found the money to get Radge in at loosehead.

with Admin boy on the wing?

and Schtiz running the marketing department?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 15 May 2017, 11:59 am

CraigS1874 wrote:I wouldnt be surprised if at least 1 of the other 2 are Prem 1 players, harvey elms or josh henderson are real possibilities. But sometimes I do question the recruitment policies at edinburgh Rolling Eyes

Is that some insider information Craig?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 15 May 2017, 12:06 pm

Catching up on the week and it has been pretty good.

Edinburgh actually look reasonable (even if they gave up on Tofilau). Freuan, Galbraith and Fergusson for Tofilau and Allan is pretty reasonable. Hopefully Tofilau can go into the 7s or to LS. None of the other players leaving are a problem considering ability/health even if I feel bad for Northam. They have a good squad. Now they need leaders to drag that team forward. Hamilton retiring rather than playing one more year is a shame.

Glasgow have a strong squad and several young players will keep developing. Not sure why they signed the NZ wing for 2 years other than cover for Seymour who will need an extended break after the Lions tour. Sarto is a quality wing and Jones/Hughes are around. Also the project wings in Junior and the Aussie looked promising. Also whoever said only Gray can carry in the Glasgow pack is forgetting Big Brian. Big concern is the back row. Favaro and Strauss have only been replaced by Gibbons. Otherwise back-up 15 is a worry as well after a Lions year.

Projected 23: Kebble, Brown, Fagerson, Brian, Gray, Harley, Gibbons, Wilson, Price, Russell, Sarto, Dunbar, Jones, Seymour, Hogg
Flynn, Allan, Rae, Swinson, Wynne/Fagerson, Pyrgos, Horne, Masaga

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 15 May 2017, 12:10 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Catching up on the week and it has been pretty good.

Edinburgh actually look reasonable (even if they gave up on Tofilau). Freuan, Galbraith and Fergusson for Tofilau and Allan is pretty reasonable. Hopefully Tofilau can go into the 7s or to LS. None of the other players leaving are a problem considering ability/health even if I feel bad for Northam. They have a good squad. Now they need leaders to drag that team forward. Hamilton retiring rather than playing one more year is a shame.

Glasgow have a strong squad and several young players will keep developing. Not sure why they signed the NZ wing for 2 years other than cover for Seymour who will need an extended break after the Lions tour. Sarto is a quality wing and Jones/Hughes are around. Also the project wings in Junior and the Aussie looked promising. Also whoever said only Gray can carry in the Glasgow pack is forgetting Big Brian. Big concern is the back row. Favaro and Strauss have only been replaced by Gibbons. Otherwise back-up 15 is a worry as well after a Lions year.

Projected 23: Kebble, Brown, Fagerson, Brian, Gray, Harley, Gibbons, Wilson, Price, Russell, Sarto, Dunbar, Jones, Seymour, Hogg
Flynn, Allan, Rae, Swinson, Wynne/Fagerson, Pyrgos, Horne, Masaga

Junior is SQ already but unfortunately he's been released, I don't think he got as many chances as he should have as I think he had a lot of potential. Perhaps a move to the 7s squad would be ideal for him, if his army career allows.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigS1874 Mon 15 May 2017, 12:19 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
CraigS1874 wrote:I wouldnt be surprised if at least 1 of the other 2 are Prem 1 players, harvey elms or josh henderson are real possibilities. But sometimes I do question the recruitment policies at edinburgh Rolling Eyes

Is that some insider information Craig?

Not really more just speculation from myself as I think the 2 mentioned are rated highly within the SRU.

I dont really know that much apart from the SRU are keen to put these youngsters on EDP/academy contracts but I am not sure the players always think that is the best way, they could sign better contracts down south or in france and get more game time

CraigS1874

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 15 May 2017, 12:59 pm

Scrum half Hugh Fraser is the next one

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 15 May 2017, 1:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Scrum half Hugh Fraser is the next one

He looked very good for the U20s last year and has got a bit of game time with LS. He could easily push himself into contention at Edinburgh up against Fowles and Kennedy.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 15 May 2017, 2:00 pm

Centre Tom Galbraith the final signing.

I can't see any of the 3 getting much game time but they're pretty young so the year will no doubt just be getting them up to speed with Pro rugby.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 15 May 2017, 2:29 pm

I rate all three of those players, who were all part of the very succesfull U20's team last year.

I think Fraser could be the pick of the bunch, and can see him overtaking Fowles/Kennedy.

Galbraith picked up a decent amount of time down at LS, and he looks like a very competent player - one of those guys who isn't flash, but knits a backline together, I can see him as the understudy to Burleigh.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 15 May 2017, 2:30 pm

Three of Scottish rugby’s most exciting prospects – Callum Hunter-Hill, Hugh Fraser and Tom Galbraith – have graduated from the BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy into full-time professional deals with Edinburgh.

L-R: Hunter-Hill, Galbraith and Fraser

All three featured for London Scottish throughout the 2016/17 season, while Fraser and Galbraith have been training with the capital club on a fulltime basis since ending their time in Richmond.

Hunter-Hill has signed a two-year deal with the capital club, while the two backs will be part of the Edinburgh set-up until at least May 2018.

A product of Edinburgh’s Stewart’s Melville College, Hunter-Hill made his Scotland U20 debut in the side’s historic win over England in the 2016 Six Nations and has since made 14 appearances – five as captain – for the age-grade side.

During his time in the BT Sport Academy, the lock made several reserve appearances for both Edinburgh and their counterparts in the west. He also captained Stirling County in the BT Premiership.

On penning his first professional deal, he said: “I’ve no doubt it’s going to be a huge step-up into such a professional environment but I’m looking forward to the challenge and getting started with Edinburgh.

“There are some established players in the second-row at the club and it’s exciting to be able to learn from these guys and feed off their knowledge.

“I know a lot of the young guys at the club and something really seems to be building with a good blend of youth and experience. I’m excited to get involved, apply myself and start competing for a place in the team."

Scrum-half Fraser joined the Academy in 2014 and progressed through the national age-grade system.

He was a regular starter in Scotland U20’s historic season in 2016, and was named as scrum-half in the World Rugby U20 Championship dream team at the close of the competition that same year.

Fraser has recently featured for Heriot’s in the BT Premiership.

On joining the club, he said: “I’m really looking forward to finally stepping up and being with the side on a fulltime basis.

“It’s great to be training alongside experienced internationalists. It motivates you to aspire to their level and keeps you pushing on.

“I’ve enjoyed watching the boys I played age-grade rugby with do well in an Edinburgh shirt and hopefully I can follow in their footsteps.”

Galbraith – who is comfortable at stand-off, centre and full-back – was part of the same senior age-grade side as Fraser.

Schooled at Glenalmond College, Galbraith also played representative rugby for Kelso Quins, before making the switch to fellow Border side, Melrose, to compete in the BT Premiership.

He was awarded an Academy contract in 2015 and captained Scotland U20 against Ireland in the 2016 Six Nations.

He said: “It’s great to have progressed through the Academy and be recognised with a pro-contract at the end.

“I’ve enjoyed spending time in the training environment already. It’s given me a chance to get to know the other boys and get into the swing of things before going into pre-season.

“I’ve played with a lot of the younger guys at under-20 and it’s great to see them getting on the Edinburgh team sheet. They’ve shown that with a great deal of hard work, it’s possible to get a shot.”

Acting Head Coach, Duncan Hodge, said:

“All three players are quality athletes and welcome additions to the squad.

“Callum is hugely talented and shows a lot of maturity for a player of his age. He’s solid at the set-piece and has shown he is a natural leader.

“As a scrum-half, Hugh has a great service and a good game management. He’s shown his worth at age-grade level and will provide further competition at scrum-half.

“Tom is a well-rounded footballer with a deceptive physical edge. His versatility will see him add depth to a few positions in our backline.”

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 15 May 2017, 2:34 pm

Well Tom Galbraith is probably the one with the easiest job of making an impact. We are weak at centre.

Hugh Fraser has three fairly useful players ahead of him, and I predict we'll see SH-C make a come back next season and lock down the 1st XV 9 jersey.

Hunter-Hill sounds like a good prospect, and at 6ft 7 and close to 18st already he has the dimensions of a proper lock. I suppose it's a case of "watch this space with Bresler and the Gilchrist injury situation" as to whether Hunter-Hill gets any Pro12 rugby next season. Toolis and MacKenzie are handy as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 15 May 2017, 2:41 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Well Tom Galbraith is probably the one with the easiest job of making an impact. We are weak at centre.

Hugh Fraser has three fairly useful players ahead of him, and I predict we'll see SH-C make a come back next season and lock down the 1st XV 9 jersey.

Hunter-Hill sounds like a good prospect, and at 6ft 7 and close to 18st already he has the dimensions of a proper lock. I suppose it's a case of "watch this space with Bresler and the Gilchrist injury situation" as to whether Hunter-Hill gets any Pro12 rugby next season. Toolis and MacKenzie are handy as well.

I hope you are right on SHC, fES. Edinburgh really need to establish a pecking order at 9. Nobody has stepped up to the plate, the lack of continuity has stopped any of the halfbacks forming anything close to what you could call a partnership.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 15 May 2017, 5:21 pm

I guess with these players they're not really new signings given they were already contracted to Edinburgh (with the exception of Hunter-Hill) and just on loan at LS.

As FES says above I think the only player likely to challenge next season is Galbraith given we are chronically short of fit centres for next season (3, as things stand).

Fraser in theory could overtake the three ahead of him as so far this season none of them have commanded the jersey, but it'll be a tough ask.

Hunter-Hill has a huge amount of competition in the players already at the club (with Bresler apparently already signed up to a new deal, but with the good news being staggered it's not announced yet....allegedly) and with Carmichal due to come back from Western Force as well.

Hopefully they get a shot and prove they are worthy of a place in the team.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 16 May 2017, 10:23 am

What would you guys say is an achievable target for both teams next year?

Can Edinburgh realistically mount a challenge to finish in the top half of the table?

Can Glasgow realistically mount a challenge to finish in the top four?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 16 May 2017, 10:42 am

tigertattie wrote:What would you guys say is an achievable target for both teams next year?

Can Edinburgh realistically mount a challenge to finish in the top half of the table?

I would say yes to both.

Edinburgh's problem has never been player quality (Duncan Weir aside). It always seems to be a motivational issue. If Cockers can't motivate that team then I don't know who can. It's worth bearing in mind that Munster did ok with ROG at 10. Edinburgh need to look at that Munster model, because at full strength our pack is stacked with 'orrible B'stards.

1. Dickinson
2. Ford
3. Nel
4. Toolis
5. Bressler
6. Hardie
7. Watson
8. Bradbury

also waiting in the wings are guys like McKinally, Dell, Berghen, Sutherland, Gilchrist, McKenzie, Ritchie, Du Preez.

Get that pack dominating the opposition and get guys like Kingorn, Scholes and Hoyland looking for work in the middle and we have a very good team lurking in there. For some reason a succesion of coaches have failed to get the best out of them.

Glasgow should really look to push on and TBH their success depends on Edinburgh's. The soap dodgers need a strong Edinburgh so that during the international window they aren't playing a bunch of rookies. Rennie will do well with Glasgow but he'd be a bit mad to stray too far from Toonie's formula.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 16 May 2017, 10:47 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
tigertattie wrote:What would you guys say is an achievable target for both teams next year?

I would say yes to both.

Edinburgh's problem has never been player quality (Duncan Weir aside). It always seems to be a motivational issue. If Cockers can't motivate that team then I don't know who can. It's worth bearing in mind that Munster did ok with ROG at 10. Edinburgh need to look at that Munster model, because at full strength our pack is stacked with 'orrible B'stards.

1. Dickinson
2. Ford
3. Nel
4. Toolis
5. Bressler
6. Hardie
7. Watson
8. Bradbury

also waiting in the wings are guys like McKinally, Dell, Berghen, Sutherland, Gilchrist, McKenzie, Ritchie, Du Preez.

Get that pack dominating the opposition and get guys like Kingorn, Scholes and Hoyland looking for work in the middle and we have a very good team lurking in there. For some reason a succesion of coaches have failed to get the best out of them.

Glasgow should really look to push on and TBH their success depends on Edinburgh's. The soap dodgers need a strong Edinburgh so that during the international window they aren't playing a bunch of rookies. Rennie will do well with Glasgow but he'd be a bit mad to stray too far from Toonie's formula.

Glad to see someone agrees with me on this - our players are most suited to the Munster style of play. Obviously we can't just copy what they do but we can certainly take influences from it.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 16 May 2017, 10:58 am

I think the timing of Toonies departure is pretty spot on. Despite some wonderful victories in Europe, Glasgow's style of play has been found out by a number of teams. This was obviously exascerbated by providing nigh on the whole Scotland team, and injuries to certain players, but I don' think there is any doubt that the squad needed a shake up.

I am looking forward to seeing what Rennie and O'Halloran can do, especially the latter, who got the Scotland backs playing some really lovely stuff...can only be a good thing that he and Rennie have already worked together.

That being said, the squad needs some improvement if we are to make a genuine top 4 push, with a ball carrying no.8 as an absolute top priority.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 16 May 2017, 11:09 am

In terms of Edinburgh, we have been saying they have the squad to finish in the top 6 for years, and they never deliver. Whatever the issue, it is deep rooted - Cockers has a huge job on his hands, but the positive side is that he does have the players who should be capable.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 16 May 2017, 11:31 am

I think the loss of Dickinson, Nel and to a lesser extent Sutherland has been a big blow to Edinburgh - instead of getting smashed in scrums we would have been dominant, which probably would have won us a few more games. We got 6 LBPs this season and I'm sure some of those could have been turned into wins if those 2 were playing - that's how important they are and how important the scrum is.

It is also worth saying that we won 11 games last season to this seasons' 6 games - the same points tally this year would have got us 7th place and a Champions Cup playoff spot.

I remember summarising at the end of last season that it hadn't actually been that bad a season (despite our style of play being rank).  11 wins was pretty good by previous standards and we were only a couple of wins away from a Champions Cup place, that's how close the league was.  When you consider some of the dodgy losses that we had that season (the massively botched drop goal attempt at home to Munster and the home linesman intervention at Scarlets) we really weren't far away.

In fact you could argue that sacking Solomons wasn't the right decision given how badly we did this season....(not that I think that!)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 16 May 2017, 11:45 am

I don't know if I would quite agree with that. Edinburgh were lucky last season, in that they had a pretty settled team while a lot of others in the league, gave an awful lot of players away to their respective WC squads. This masked the problems and limitations within the squad which have been shown up so badly this year.

Connacht and Edinburgh were the main beneficiaries of that situation, the difference being that Connacht maintained it and Edinburgh folded when other teams eventually got back up to full strength.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 16 May 2017, 12:10 pm

BigGee wrote:I don't know if I would quite agree with that. Edinburgh were lucky last season, in that they had a pretty settled team while a lot of others in the league, gave an awful lot of players away to their respective WC squads. This masked the problems and limitations within the squad which have been shown up so badly this year.

Connacht and Edinburgh were the main beneficiaries of that situation, the difference being that Connacht maintained it and Edinburgh folded when other teams eventually got back up to full strength.

I think that is partly true - Edinburgh certainly made a good start winning their first 4 games but then went on a rotten run of form (when the WC players came back) up until winning both 1872 games. Our form then dropped again up until the 6N where we picked up more wins from February onwards. So we did pick up a few surprise wins during the WC period but I don't think you could say that affected the entire season, and we lost a lot of games when all the WC players returned.

in those first 4 games we beat Leinster, Ulster and the Ospreys - in the same fixtures this season we only beat Ulster at home.

I'd forgotten we lost to Zebre that season!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 16 May 2017, 12:34 pm

I think we were right to remove Solomons with a view to transitioning the team to a more complete style of play, however I think both the timing of his removal and his interim replacement were wrong.

I agree with Radge and RDW up to a point - the squad is better than our league position suggests, and injuries to key players have made a big difference this season - but the quality or lack thereof in the backline cannot be overlooked, and neither can the apparent lack of specialist backs and skills coaching quality at the club.

Without injuries we have a strong pack with handy depth. Players like McInally, Dell, Sutherland, Gilchrist, MacKenzie, Ritchie, Mata and Bradbury don't get into our 1st choice pack for my money.

In the backs it's a different story. We have three (now four) handy 9's but even our best 9, SH-C, is probably 4th choice for Scotland behind Laidlaw, Price and Pyrgos. We have Tovey or Weir at 10, but both are journeyman quality. Burleigh arrived a decent player but has struggled to impose himself at 12. Rasolea looks useful with ball in hand but utterly lost within the defensive system. Dean is short a yard of pace and Bennett is out for a season. Burleigh and Bennett could make a decent combination, but with them we probably need some physicality on the wings which we don't have with Scholes, Hoyland and Brown. Kinghorn has the makings of a useful 15 but is green. Bryce doesn't look much use at all.

I don't think we'll ever be able to challenge the top 6 with our current set of backs.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 16 May 2017, 12:48 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think we were right to remove Solomons with a view to transitioning the team to a more complete style of play, however I think both the timing of his removal and his interim replacement were wrong.

I agree with Radge and RDW up to a point - the squad is better than our league position suggests, and injuries to key players have made a big difference this season - but the quality or lack thereof in the backline cannot be overlooked, and neither can the apparent lack of specialist backs and skills coaching quality at the club.

Without injuries we have a strong pack with handy depth. Players like McInally, Dell, Sutherland, Gilchrist, MacKenzie, Ritchie, Mata and Bradbury don't get into our 1st choice pack for my money.

In the backs it's a different story. We have three (now four) handy 9's but even our best 9, SH-C, is probably 4th choice for Scotland behind Laidlaw, Price and Pyrgos. We have Tovey or Weir at 10, but both are journeyman quality. Burleigh arrived a decent player but has struggled to impose himself at 12. Rasolea looks useful with ball in hand but utterly lost within the defensive system. Dean is short a yard of pace and Bennett is out for a season. Burleigh and Bennett could make a decent combination, but with them we probably need some physicality on the wings which we don't have with Scholes, Hoyland and Brown. Kinghorn has the makings of a useful 15 but is green. Bryce doesn't look much use at all.

I don't think we'll ever be able to challenge the top 6 with our current set of backs.

That's why I think the Munster model is valid - their backline is solid if unspectacular, albeit with a much better 9&10 combo than we can offer. Their wingers are workmanlike with Zebo providing a bit of flair at 15 and their centres aren't massive game breakers.

Munster's backline is certainly better than ours but they have shown how to play with a brutal pack and controlling halfbacks, while not having a massive amount of flair outside that.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 16 May 2017, 1:15 pm

It's a fair point regarding the Edinburgh back division, losing Bennett is a huge blow.

I wonder if this is the season to develop Kinghorn as a 10? I know he has looked good at 15 (in patches) and is still on the young side, but he did start out as a 10, has played there recently....and is surely a better propsect than Weir?

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 16 May 2017, 1:18 pm

I genuinely think that an exchange of some Edinburgh forwards for Glasgow backs would be a good way to go.

Sutherland and Toolis exchanged for Horne and Pyrgos for example.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 16 May 2017, 1:43 pm

We have discussed player exchanges before but large scale moves are not likely to come sadly.

A quick mention on the Fijians, Mata would be interesting at Edinburgh. He is not really needed at Glasgow. Edinburgh lack a real spark in the backline and Weir is too predictable. Mata would solve that immediately (all assuming the charges against him are false or overblown).

Glasgow lack a ball playing 8 who can get 5 metres. Naka would be an unconventional fit for the role but he offers so much creativity that he builds momentum for the players around him. I would put Wilson at 8 at scrums where Glasgow are going backwards however, Glasgow have a big tight 5 next season and it should not be often. Kebble and Fagerson need/should prove themselves at scrum time to be worthy of the hype.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 16 May 2017, 2:11 pm

It is probably now or never to get Kinghorn playing FH next season. Edinburgh and Scotland clearly need depth in that position and we know that neither Tovey or Weir are the long term answers. They can do a job, but no more really. If he does not make the switch soon though, like others before him, he is likely to have missed the boat.

With Graham coming in to Edinburgh, who may well prove to be a better bet at FB than wing as he just looks a natural open field runner, Galbraith and even Byrce who definitely played much better in the last few games (and in the sevens), there is going to be competition for the 15 jersey and he may not be a nailed on starter in that position.

You do wonder where he sees himself playing in the longer term and that will no doubt be a big part of the decision, along with what the coaches think. We may get some clues as to that by where he plays for the U20s during this summers WC in Georgia.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 16 May 2017, 2:15 pm

I do think Edinburgh could use one or two power runners in the backline. A Burleigh/Bennett has potential but we need someone a bit more robust to take the crash ball if things aren't working out as planned. Someone to perform the role that Dunbar does at Glasgow, Brad Barritt at Sarries, McCloskey at Ulster or Henshaw for Ireland. Doesn't necessarily need to be at 12, we could just as easily use a big bloke off his wing. If we could sign someone for that sort or role, it could really help Hardie/Watson get into the game as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 16 May 2017, 2:16 pm

I think Kinghorn is better suited to 15. Whenever he's played at 10 he's made Finn Russell look like Morne Steyne in terms of reliability and consistency, and is prone to throwing wild passes.  This will obviously improve with age and experience but his main strengths are broken field running and he has a big boot (albeit somewhat inaccurate just now) and I think that makes him more of a threat at 15.

Let#s not forget that we have just as little depth at 15 for Scotland as we do at 10!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 16 May 2017, 2:25 pm

I don't totally disagree, RDW - I was thinking more in the context of where he would be best placed to improve Edinburgh. It wouldn't be ideal, relying on an U20 player who isnt the model of consistency, to run a pro12 backline. However, I doubt the SRU will sanction money on another fly half, not with Weir and Tovey still on contract, and they were both totally rank this season. So its the, not particularly attractive choice, of Tovey/Weir/Kinghorn for the Edinburgh 10 shirt. On balance, I would probably start with Weir and see how he gets on under Cockeril, with a view to giving Kinghorn time there if thats where he and the coaches see him ending up.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 16 May 2017, 2:28 pm

On that note Edinburgh are announcing a new signing later today!

Beauden Barrett?

(More realistically / hopefully Robbie Freaun)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 16 May 2017, 2:53 pm

Stumbled upon this on the Sporcle quiz site;
https://www.sporcle.com/games/scottish1979/Scottishrugbyinternationalists2000_09
Funny how many you forget, although I've probably blanked many from my mind..

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 16 May 2017, 3:05 pm

Wing Duhan van der Merwe has signed a two-year deal.

Nope, me neither.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 16 May 2017, 3:06 pm

Duhan van Der Merwe signs for Edinburgh from Montpellier on a two year deal.

21-year-old wing, although he's played sevens for South Africa, this was only at U18 level, so I don't think he's tied to South Africa.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 16 May 2017, 3:10 pm

Highlights reel for Not-DTH:

Last edited by IanBru on Tue 16 May 2017, 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 16 May 2017, 3:10 pm

I got 57 out of 111...

Who the hell is Ben McDougal?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 16 May 2017, 3:11 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I got 57 out of 111...

Doesn't seem to work for me. He was a centre - played for the Borders!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 16 May 2017, 3:14 pm

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 Crazy-10
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 16 May 2017, 3:17 pm

IanBru wrote:Highlights reel for Not-DTH:

Appreciate it's a youtube highlights reel so clearly has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but he seems to have a bit of quality.

Also "he's got some toe" is not a term I've heard before.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 16 May 2017, 3:19 pm

Edinburgh Rugby has signed Montpellier wing Duhan van der Merwe on a two-year deal, which will see him don the black and red until at least May 2019.

Duhan van der Merwe

The Springbok age-grade internationalist, 21, joined the French Top 14 club on an Academy deal in July 2016, and has recently gone onto make three league appearances for the senior side and has crossed the whitewash on each occasion.

Prior to making the move to the northern hemisphere, van der Merwe made two appearances for Super Rugby franchise, Blue Bulls, after playing for the club’s U19 and U21 sides.

The 6ft3in, 107kg wing also represented South Africa at U20 level in the 2014 Junior World Championship.

On his move to the Scottish capital, he said:

“I’m very excited to be joining Edinburgh. It’s clear that the club has strong ambitions and I would very much like to play a part in that success.

“I’ve heard great things about the city and the people. My dealings with the club have already been very positive and I have been made to feel very welcome ahead of my arrival.

“I’m looking forward to the opportunity to express myself and build my future at Edinburgh.”

Incoming Head Coach, Richard Cockerill, said: “Duhan is a talented young player and has the potential to become a real attacking threat in our backline.

“He’s taken his chances at Montpellier in recent weeks so I’m looking forward to seeing him progress even further at Edinburgh.”

He's a big lad!

We have a terrible track record in signing random wingers (literally none of them have been any good) so hopefully he's not another.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Tue 16 May 2017, 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 16 May 2017, 3:19 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:

Doesn't seem to work for me.  He was a centre - played for the Borders!

Was a rugby league convert from Australia, played for Edinburgh as well for a couple seasons, was fairly decent for Edinburgh, didn't realise he'd been capped.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 16 May 2017, 3:24 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Edinburgh Rugby has signed Montpellier wing Duhan van der Merwe on a two-year deal, which will see him don the black and red until at least May 2019.

Duhan van der Merwe

The Springbok age-grade internationalist, 21, joined the French Top 14 club on an Academy deal in July 2016, and has recently gone onto make three league appearances for the senior side and has crossed the whitewash on each occasion.

Prior to making the move to the northern hemisphere, van der Merwe made two appearances for Super Rugby franchise, Blue Bulls, after playing for the club’s U19 and U21 sides.

The 6ft3in, 107kg wing also represented South Africa at U20 level in the 2014 Junior World Championship.

On his move to the Scottish capital, he said:

“I’m very excited to be joining Edinburgh. It’s clear that the club has strong ambitions and I would very much like to play a part in that success.

“I’ve heard great things about the city and the people. My dealings with the club have already been very positive and I have been made to feel very welcome ahead of my arrival.

“I’m looking forward to the opportunity to express myself and build my future at Edinburgh.”

Incoming Head Coach, Richard Cockerill, said: “Duhan is a talented young player and has the potential to become a real attacking threat in our backline.

“He’s taken his chances at Montpellier in recent weeks so I’m looking forward to seeing him progress even further at Edinburgh.”

He's a big lad!

We have a terrible track record in signing random wingers (literally none of them have been any good) so hopefully he's not another.

Interesting signing, potentially could be good but sounds like he has only had a handful of games at Montpellier. Wing is an area where Edinburgh did need strengthening so hopefully this signing works out.
Hoyland, Brown, Scholes and Van Der Merwe so far for the wing slots for next season.
Any more news about Robbie Nairn? Thought Farndale and Fife looked pretty handy again for the 7s and seem to have their confidence back again and could certainly do a good job at Edinburgh.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 16 May 2017, 3:32 pm

I'm fairly sure people said derogatory things about Tim Visser, he turned out ok. What I wouldn't give to have someone of the mould back at Edinburgh.

He's certainly improved his game with quinns.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 16 May 2017, 3:39 pm

I don't see Fife coming back and this signing probably has put the knockers on Farndale as well. Maybe he sees himself as a sevens player now and just wants to concentrate at that, he seems to be doing ok at it.

This kid would seem to have some promise, he has played for and scored some tries for Montpellier, maybe Cockers has had the chance to have had a look at him in his time in France. He certainly is a big powerful lad, which is something Edinburgh have been crying out for on the wing. He is not going to have cost a fortune and may certainly be worth taking a punt on.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 16 May 2017, 3:54 pm

On the face of it, this seems to be a good signing. He comes with a good pedigree, and won't be costing the earth. I would like to see Farndale being brough back into the fold, with Scholes being viewed as a 15.

Van der Merwe, Farndale, Brown, Hoyland as wing options is pretty light on experience, but has a nice balance between size/speed etc.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 16 May 2017, 4:11 pm

IanBru wrote:

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 16 - Good Luck, We're All Counting On You - Page 19 Crazy-10

Laugh clap
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next