The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+17
Fernando
Dolphin Ziggler
tigertattie
kingraf
TM Moot
JDizzle
BamBam
crazy_dave23
Forward Pass
Pr4wn
Number-25
Lowlandbrit
Good Golly I'm Olly
skins4ever
gazzyD
twelve283
GSC
21 posters

Page 8 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 8 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by GSC Tue 18 Sep 2018, 9:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

I mean are we even sure Gordon isn't a one year wonder who never stuck around for his drop off season.

A lot of hype for a guy who's had more near comebacks than games played in years
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 8 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Cornish Warrior Tue 15 Oct 2019, 9:31 am

Pats slowly building again, heard it mentioned Brown might be re-signed, is this true?
Cornish Warrior
Cornish Warrior

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 8 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by GSC Wed 16 Oct 2019, 1:01 am

the Rams are still in super bowl or bust mode because apparently they didnt notice any of the holes at RB, OL or any defender that isnt Aaron Donald.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 16 Oct 2019, 5:22 am

Or Jalen Ramsay....

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 16 Oct 2019, 8:07 am

They've full on hit the "panic mode" button
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 16 Oct 2019, 5:26 pm

They’d have been better off trading their picks for Tunsil when he was available than Ramsey tbf.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 22 Oct 2019, 9:33 am

So.... how about those Jets?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 22 Oct 2019, 2:29 pm

It is my opinion that Bill Belichick is good at coaching the defence of American football. Here ends my hot take

Pats trading a 2nd for Sanu - bit of a steep price, but he fits perfectly and they needed WR help particularly another bigger body, and they have a bunch of mid round picks this year anyways
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 22 Oct 2019, 6:31 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:It is my opinion that Bill Belichick is good at coaching the defence of American football. Here ends my hot take

Pats trading a 2nd for Sanu - bit of a steep price, but he fits perfectly and they needed WR help particularly another bigger body, and they have a bunch of mid round picks this year anyways

They need a #1 TE most of all on O and with them being a rarity at the moment, the move for Sanu makes sense. I daresay Bill will find a #1 TE and OL in the lower rounds next year too Rolling Eyes

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 22 Oct 2019, 7:14 pm

skins4ever wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:It is my opinion that Bill Belichick is good at coaching the defence of American football. Here ends my hot take

They need a #1 TE most of all on O and with them being a rarity at the moment, the move for Sanu makes sense. I daresay Bill will find a #1 TE and OL in the lower rounds next year too Rolling Eyes

Someone mentioned they enquired about Howard and were rebuffed. I wonder if Tampa might come offering him again.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 22 Oct 2019, 7:44 pm

Sanu really isnt very good 

Not that the Pats defense isnt excellent but I doubt you could've handpicked a better slate of opponents. Probably 1 team that wont be picking in the top 10 so far
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 30 Oct 2019, 4:21 pm

GSC wrote:Sanu really isnt very good 

Not that the Pats defense isnt excellent but I doubt you could've handpicked a better slate of opponents. Probably 1 team that wont be picking in the top 10 so far

Pretty much sums up the Pats offensive roster on paper though (other than Brady of course) - players of OK quality at best that somehow become moulded into the greatest dynasty the NFL has ever seen (given the length of time they've been at or near the top, and how often even when they aren't champions they've been losing Superbowls or AFC Championship games).

As for the level of opposition, OK playing the Dolphins twice a year helps Sad , but the Bills are decent, Jets a bit meh. You can only beat what's in front of you though, and the Pats do that about as well as anyone. In fact this season they have scored more points and conceded fewest of anyone in the league, having played 8 games (about half the teams have played 8, the rest 7)

I've been over in North America for most of the last month, so seen a bit more football (and baseball) than normal. 49ers are a ferocious defensive team, especially their defensive line. The most amazing stat about the 49ers is that in their 7-0 start, their starting quarterback had only thrown for 9 TDs (and 7 picks).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 30 Oct 2019, 9:03 pm

The best thing about the Niners line is SkyBet very generously offered 100-1 on Nick Bosa recording 12 sacks this season. Hopefully he can stay fit and he should cruise it!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 15 Nov 2019, 8:45 am

What the bloody hell was Miles Garrett doing?!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 15 Nov 2019, 10:25 am

getting the winter off work
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 15 Nov 2019, 11:06 am

GSC wrote:getting the winter off work

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit longer than that tbh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Fri 15 Nov 2019, 8:28 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
GSC wrote:getting the winter off work

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit longer than that tbh

Well it's currently forever... won't exactly last...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 03 Dec 2019, 2:33 am

So how about those footballs, am I right?

Ravens looking pretty unbeatable as of now. Jackson has just been unbelievable.

The most interesting debate appears to be who the worst team in the league is. The Bengals were favourites but they took down the mighty Jets on Sunday without Andy Dalton throwing a single interception.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 03 Dec 2019, 3:49 pm

Bengals are doing a suprisingly professional looking job at tanking; got a game in hand before trying to avoid the 0-16 stink.
Speaking of bad teams, the 2-10 Giants are theoretically still in the playoff hunt. Remember when people thought the Giants might actually have been on to something with Daniel Jones? That was weird.

Net points after 12 games:
Ravens +187
Patriots +177
49ers +166
Next best is Chiefs +83  Shocked

Giants -109
Redskins -117
Bengals -119
Dolphins -177

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 03 Dec 2019, 6:01 pm

Disappointed as a Dolphins fan (from the Marino, Duper, Clayton team), that we can't even put together a season so bad as to get the #1 pick in the draft. Were truly appalling for the first four or five weeks, but have improved to the level of 'mediocre or slightly below' over the last few games. Good innovation on the punter to kicker touchdown though Very Happy

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 09 Dec 2019, 8:14 am

Is there a QB in football more desperately infuriating than Jameis Winston? He has such incredible arm talent, he's a locker room leader but in all his years in the league, he still hasn't learned to look after the football.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 30 Dec 2019, 8:36 am

Pr4wn wrote:Is there a QB in football more desperately infuriating than Jameis Winston?
First QB to throw at least 30 TDs and 30 INTs in a season. 4-2 in games where he threw an interception on the opening drive. No idea what they do with him now; too good to let go, too bad to keep.

End of season net points:
Ravens +249
Patriots +195
49ers +169

Bengals -141
Redskins -169
Dolphins -188

Selected others:
Cowboys (8-8) +113
Packers (13-3) +63
Bucs (7-9) +9
Texans (10-6) -7
Steelers/Bears (8-8) -14/18
Lions (3-12-1) -83
Raiders (7-9) -106

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Mon 30 Dec 2019, 4:42 pm

"Selected others:
Cowboys (8-8) +113
Packers (13-3) +63"

mad that the 'boys have twice the net points of the Pack, but won 5 games less Smile

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 30 Dec 2019, 4:44 pm

Playing the Miami Dolphins in week 17 is always a bad idea
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Tue 31 Dec 2019, 11:06 am

TM Moot wrote:"Selected others:
Cowboys (8-8) +113
Packers (13-3) +63"

mad that the 'boys have twice the net points of the Pack, but won 5 games less Smile

Why? They only had 2 wins against teams with winning records (and were 1-1 against the Eagles). They lost to 2 poor teams in the Bears and Jets, and lost every other game they played against teams that are in the playoffs. Their points diff is largely due to beating up on poor teams.

Points diff is useless if you don't take into account the schedule and records of teams played against. The Cowboys were average this season, and the Eagles limped into the playoffs a (and likely out of them in round 1); the NFC East is almost certainly the worst division in the NFL right now.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 31 Dec 2019, 5:27 pm

Redskins are hiring Ron Rivera, so that just leaves the Panthers, Giants and Browns. I think the Giants are going to hire Matt Rhule, which could be hilarious after the Jets let him walk away because they wanted to tell him who to hire last year.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Thu 02 Jan 2020, 8:37 am

skins4ever wrote:
TM Moot wrote:"Selected others:
Cowboys (8-8) +113
Packers (13-3) +63"

Why? They only had 2 wins against teams with winning records (and were 1-1 against the Eagles). They lost to 2 poor teams in the Bears and Jets, and lost every other game they played against teams that are in the playoffs. Their points diff is largely due to beating up on poor teams.

Points diff is useless if you don't take into account the schedule and records of teams played against. The Cowboys were average this season, and the Eagles limped into the playoffs a (and likely out of them in round 1); the NFC East is almost certainly the worst division in the NFL right now.

because generally "points wins prizes", although there are always exceptions to the rule

I do agree though, the Cowboys were truly average (at best). Glad they didn't squeak into the playoffs

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 05 Jan 2020, 7:45 am

thank you Titans
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 05 Jan 2020, 1:30 pm

GSC wrote:thank you Titans
+1

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 05 Jan 2020, 1:42 pm

They were properly crap after thanksgiving this season

Much needed revamp of the offence coming in the off season - I'd expect they'll be back...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 05 Jan 2020, 5:24 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Much needed revamp of the offence coming in the off season - I'd expect they'll be back...
With?

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 06 Jan 2020, 3:09 am

Pats got to the wildcard spots despite Brady this year, not because of him.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 06 Jan 2020, 10:31 am

Lowlandbrit wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Much needed revamp of the offence coming in the off season - I'd expect they'll be back...
With?

Brady

Weirdly the media less quiet on “is this the end of the Drew Brees/Sean Payton era” despite them being in the exact same situation
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 06 Jan 2020, 3:44 pm

Cowboys are hiring Mike McCarthy. Not sure if they've actually fired Garrett or if they're technically sharing the job for the next week until his contract runs out. Either way... meh.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 06 Jan 2020, 5:58 pm

I needed that today
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 07 Jan 2020, 1:14 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Lowlandbrit wrote:
With?

Brady

Weirdly the media less quiet on “is this the end of the Drew Brees/Sean Payton era” despite them being in the exact same situation

Errr.... Brees had a far better season than Brady did. It's not the same situation at all.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 07 Jan 2020, 6:02 pm

Rhule to the Panthers and the Giants are going with Joe Judge from the Pats, so that just leaves the Browns now.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 07 Jan 2020, 6:51 pm

Yeah comparing Brees to Brady is a massive reach.

The Pats offense was mostly awful against a garbage schedule all year
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 07 Jan 2020, 7:23 pm

Brees was also in a dome and had a receiver who just smashed the receptions record.

Brady was fine this year. Not what he was, but you can still win with him. This isn’t Peyton where he literally can’t throw the ball anymore. Pats just need to add some speed on Offense.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 08 Jan 2020, 9:27 am

JDizzle wrote:Brees was also in a dome and had a receiver who just smashed the receptions record.

Brady was fine this year. Not what he was, but you can still win with him. This isn’t Peyton where he literally can’t throw the ball anymore. Pats just need to add some speed on Offense.

And a go to big body like Gronk.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 08 Jan 2020, 9:39 am

it was pretty close to Peyton.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 08 Jan 2020, 11:52 am

GSC wrote:it was pretty close to Peyton.

I mean anybody saying this hasn't actually watched the games - he's regressed into that mid tier, top 10-15 QB range in terms of ability, and that regression coupled with just the dearth of WR/TE options meant the offence was ultimately meh at best.

And anybody who can't see Brees cannot throw downfield anymore is watching something different to me - sure he's still accurate over short/intermediate throws, but that relies on Kamara/Thomas so much and when Kamara is clearly off form like he was Sunday, the D can just squat on everything.

Think you can still win with both of course, but they can no longer elevate their supporting cast to a title game etc - which isn't surprising, ones 42 and ones 40!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 08 Jan 2020, 4:41 pm

Well, Brady had his worst season since 2013 (where he produced very similar numbers). Not terrible by any means, especially in an offence that didn't have a great receiver line up, but certainly well below his most productive. Certainly much better than Manning's last season though.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 12 Jan 2020, 4:52 pm

End of season net points:
Ravens +249
Patriots +195
49ers +169
Top two teams eliminated by a combined 160 yards of passing from Ryan Tannehill. Derrick Henry is playing like a Madden cheat code.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sun 12 Jan 2020, 9:55 pm

Houston going for the all time throw away... very fun match to watch, with plenty of mistakes leading to scores!

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 13 Jan 2020, 7:00 am

BoB wont get fired but hes overdue
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 13 Jan 2020, 11:17 am

The AFC playoffs have been on some serious drugs.

Not really left us with the most inspiring championship games though - Chiefs and 49ers should win handily, and that would be a good super bowl.

Andy Reid isn't going to get many opportunities to get that elusive ring. #6 seed at home in the title game, pretty much a healthy squad, best QB left in the dance by quite a distance.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 13 Jan 2020, 1:22 pm

To be fair, everyone thought the Ravens would win handily against the Titans.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 13 Jan 2020, 2:03 pm

this is the most interesting AFC playoffs since the last time the patriots got junked in the first round
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 20 Jan 2020, 2:21 pm

So, Niners and Chiefs to meet in Miami. Hard not to root for Andy Reid to finally get a ring.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 20 Jan 2020, 3:06 pm

About the best SuperBowl you could wish for as a neutral. KC favourites, but if they let SF get ahead like they did Houston and the Titans they might struggle to reel them in.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 16 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next