The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The summer of cricket 2020

+18
dummy_half
Eyetoldyouso
Dolphin Ziggler
Pal Joey
KP_fan
VTR
compelling and rich
eirebilly
westisbest
guildfordbat
king_carlos
Good Golly I'm Olly
Soul Requiem
JDizzle
Gooseberry
GSC
alfie
Duty281
22 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

The summer of cricket 2020 - Page 10 Empty The summer of cricket 2020

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Aug 2020, 3:52 pm

First topic message reminder :

Great ton from Morgan. Came in at 44/3 - now victory looks assured for England after this partnership.

(Spoiler: It wasn't.)

Last edited by Duty281 on Wed 05 Aug 2020, 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The summer of cricket 2020 - Page 10 Empty Re: The summer of cricket 2020

Post by king_carlos Fri 07 Aug 2020, 6:56 pm

I think Shaheen's batting can be summed up by the Pakistan balcony's audible applause when he puts bat on ball!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 07 Aug 2020, 6:57 pm

Mohammad Abbas averaged 2.75 with the bat for Leicestershire in Division 2 last year. And someone is batting below him!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 07 Aug 2020, 7:01 pm

Think Mikey is talking a load of rubbish here about umpires call to be honest. If the Umpire thinks it is out he gives it, and if he doesn’t he won’t. If you don’t like umpires call then they should all be out even if clipping and just do away with umpires all together as you won’t need them!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 07 Aug 2020, 7:06 pm

Brilliant decision to bowl stokes Whistle

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 07 Aug 2020, 7:07 pm

JDizzle wrote:Think Mikey is talking a load of rubbish here about umpires call to be honest. If the Umpire thinks it is out he gives it, and if he doesn’t he won’t. If you don’t like umpires call then they should all be out even if clipping and just do away with umpires all together as you won’t need them!

Completely agree thumbsup

I have the greatest respect for Holding ; but he doesn't half talk some rubbish about drs. You either use the current system (which does eliminate really bad calls) , give it all over to the robots and retrain the umpires as mobile hat racks , or go back to the old days - which they won't.

Stokes gets Shaheen ! Nasty ball ...I like it devil

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 07 Aug 2020, 7:10 pm

And that's the day done...

244 ahead ; two (rabbit class) wickets left.

Chase 260 ? Could they ? The odds are against it ; but it is possible - for now.

Don't you love Test Cricket ? Good night all OK

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Aug 2020, 7:11 pm

Bloody good day of the old game of test cricket that

Pakistan still heavy favourites, but we’ve given ourselves an outside chance.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 07 Aug 2020, 7:17 pm

A fine comeback from England, more down to bad and lazy batting than top bowling, but far too late in any case. Thought Stokes' spell was good and Woakes' too - Woakes in the best form of his career? Anderson does increasingly look as though his race is run. I wouldn't be surprised to see him 'rested' for both tests two and three. Can't see him doing another overseas tour, so his test career could be over.

Lead is still too big for England to surmount and Yasir Shah is well capable of clubbing a dozen or two tomorrow morning. But it's been another great test match.

10/11 on Pakistan to win from here? Laugh Thank you very much, nice little top-up. England are also odds-on with some bookmakers which is hysterical.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 07 Aug 2020, 7:17 pm

alfie wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:
alfie wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:Bowling stokes is a real last throw of the dice. Fair play england are chucking the kitchen sink at winning this game but I'm not sure his medium to long term health is worth the risk with the game already realisticly lost.

Now watch him get a 50 ball century in the second innings to knock off 300 chase Very Happy

Got the vital wicket Smile   Predictable ...

Someone always has to have the last word dont they Very Happy

Stokes often does !   I did expect he'd bowl , if they felt they weren't getting anywhere...the man is a force of nature...hard to keep the ball out of his hand.  Whether the fitness risk is worth it is another issue...

Now : has Broad got another one ? Yes Yahoo

Mate this was incredible. Its still a stretch for England to win but my word theyve done everything to give the opportunity...and as I predicted day 5 is unlikely to be a thing in this test!

This has been the best summer of tests since the '05 Ashes ...even the humping of the west indies in T3 had a bit of nail biting thanks to the weather. The best thing is half the world's watching because there's not much other cricket on for them.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 07 Aug 2020, 7:18 pm

JDizzle wrote:Mohammad Abbas averaged 2.75 with the bat for Leicestershire in Division 2 last year. And someone is batting below him!

Tbf that makes him better than most of the batsmen Leicestershire have employed in recent years Cool

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Aug 2020, 8:18 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Bloody good day of the old game of test cricket that

Pakistan still heavy favourites, but we’ve given ourselves an outside chance.

Yep, brilliant day.

Although Pakistan are definitely the favourites, I would give us a bit better than an outside chance. We've finished the day on a high which should be good for confidence tomorrow. We'll almost certainly start our second dig better than the first when we were 12/3. Although batting last, it will at least (mainly) be on a day 4 track. Furthermore - and you know this one well, Olly Wink - we shouldn't be needing to score the highest innings score of the match to win.

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 07 Aug 2020, 11:33 pm

Think Woakes was right in his post day interview about how they need to be proactive in this chase, as just sitting there you’ll have one with your name on it sooner rather than later. Particularly against Shah, when Root/Pope were being proactive against him late day 2, he was serving up some right tripe...then the lower order sits in today and he runs through them.

Only having 250 on the board, if England do get a good start against Shah or in general, one or two of those catchers might be moved into run saving positions...

Long way off yet - need those two wickets early tomorrow! Woakes and Broad first up for me
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 08 Aug 2020, 12:11 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Think Woakes was right in his post day interview about how they need to be proactive in this chase, as just sitting there you’ll have one with your name on it sooner rather than later. Particularly against Shah, when Root/Pope were being proactive against him late day 2, he was serving up some right tripe...then the lower order sits in today and he runs through them.

Only having 250 on the board, if England do get a good start against Shah or in general, one or two of those catchers might be moved into run saving positions...

Long way off yet - need those two wickets early tomorrow! Woakes and Broad first up for me

Hi Olly - I also go along with what Woakes said. As I posted at the time and for one example of not being proactive when batting, Bess looked like he was simply waiting to be dismissed by Shah rather than move the scoreboard along at all.

Any two of Woakes, Broad and Anderson first up for me. Jimmy's not been fully on song but he's enough experience and credit in the bank for me not to object if Root goes with him to bring home a rabbit and a ferret. Whoever bowls though, we really want those last two for under 10 runs and certainly not 30+.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 08 Aug 2020, 7:53 am

I'd have Archers extra pace over Anderson at the tail in thisbtest personally but even if its buttler and root bowlimg at them they really shouldn't be getting many runs.

All those fielding errors now look really glaring for England. Not just the buttler drops but midfield going for runs too. Pakistan looked a little ragged later in their innings too but not tonthe extent england did. Partly the way Pakistan batted and ran unsettled them but it has been a below par fielding performance from England first innings, something they usually have an edge over the opposition on.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Sat 08 Aug 2020, 9:44 am

Well, England have bowled themselves back in with a chance of winning. However, it would need the second highest successful run chase ever at Old Trafford, so I'm with Duty above that the 11/10 against Pakistan is definitely the bet you want - not quite buying money, but certainly value.

I agree generally that the England batsmen shoud try to be proactive, without being reckless. The exceptions being Sibley and Burns, who should just play their normal way. Hopeully at least one of them will get in this innings and do their 'grind down the bowlers' job.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 08 Aug 2020, 9:51 am

Gooseberry wrote:I'd have Archers extra pace over Anderson at the tail in thisbtest personally but even if its buttler and root bowlimg at them they really shouldn't be getting many runs.

All those fielding errors now look really glaring for England. Not just the buttler drops but midfield going for runs too. Pakistan looked a little ragged later in their innings too but not tonthe extent england did. Partly the way Pakistan batted and ran unsettled them but it has been a below par fielding performance from England first innings, something they usually have an edge over the opposition on.

Hi goose - I'm getting a bit grumpy about Archer tbh. He just doesn't seem switched on enough. His batting is consistently poor and his running between the wickets especially dopey. Ok, that's not his main job but even when he has the ball in his hand I'm not sure which Archer is going to turn up. That's why I wouldn't be depending upon and looking to him to bowl first up this morning.

Great bowling talent though and I accept he has at times already delivered upon it. That's why I still want to stick with him in or around the team despite the frustrations. Going back to eyetoldyouso's post yesterday about past captains, he would probably benefit from the words and wisdom of Brearley. There again, so would most.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 08 Aug 2020, 10:10 am

Ollie Robinson added to the bubble ahead of the 2nd test match...an injury we don’t know about to one of the seamers?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 08 Aug 2020, 10:14 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
alfie wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
JDizzle wrote:Anderson bowling some rubbish at the other end too. Double change required I think.

Think he might be primed for a “rest” next game, personally...

Yes he's not quite himself here I fear. Good first spell , no luck at all. But he's faded later and just isn't putting his usual pressure on the batsmen.

Is it goodnight Jimmy ? Would be a big call. But the time comes for all of us...

Perhaps a rest and back for the third ? We shall see.

Probably a bit soon to be writing his obituary Alfie! Smile

But he has just bowled far too many boundary balls this test, his economy a solid run higher than all other England seamers. Don’t think he’s bowled “badly” per se, just not his usual metronomic self.

Haha...Sorry , Olly ..I didn't actually mean to have him dead and buried yet Smile

But I am a little concerned because (a) he has struggled to have any impact after his new ball spells this summer - although in fairness he has had no luck at all with dropped catches etc and (b) in this match , specifically in second spells , he has been so uncharacteristically loose (I think he was seeking the lbw , so was attempting to target middle and leg - but with no movement on offer was straying too often and getting easily picked off. But just not like him to keep making the same error). Plus he has looked more than usually grumpy and hasn't been as sharp as usual in the field.
All adds up to him not being the reliable centre of the attack that he has been for years. I hope this one is an aberration ; but in this peculiar season , with rotation policy likely to have him out for one or other of the remaining games , and no tours now until next year ...it may test even his renowned determination to bounce back. I certainly wouldn't bet against him !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 08 Aug 2020, 10:22 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Ollie Robinson added to the bubble ahead of the 2nd test match...an injury we don’t know about to one of the seamers?

And speaking of reserve seamers called Olly...Olly Stone is out for a month with a side strain, picked up in the first Bob Willis Trophy game for Warwickshire. Such a shame, but he just cannot stay healthy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:05 am

11 off the first over. England's wafer-thin hopes are receding ever more.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:08 am

Well we've basically made the chase impossible within the first 7 minutes!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:08 am

And another ten off the first three balls of Broad's over. Made it around 90-10 in Pakistan's favour before play started - now it's about 95-5.

Now Yasir goes. Job done as far as he's concerned though.

Last edited by Duty281 on Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:09 am

So this is what it’s like to be on the opposing end of Broad slogging it
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:11 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:So this is what it’s like to be on the opposing end of Broad slogging it

(I am firmly of the view that is how every tailender should play)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:12 am

That was some shot by Naseem Shah. Get him above Abbas in the order.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:16 am

All over. But that's an absolutely horrible start for England. 32 runs added. Virtually guarantees Pakistan a second new ball if needed (probably won't be) and makes the chase nigh-on impossible.

Duty281

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:18 am

Good slogging from the tail. Think I'd have opened with Woakes rather than Archer...but if they swing and get lucky ...

Ha...pitch it up . Worked.

32 runs when I'd hoped for maybe 15-20. Still 276 isn't quite a mountain. They have two days to get them. Not impossible.

Have to bat well...and probably need some luck. Be a good match if they can though...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:18 am

Yeah, it looked in the balance but that was total ballcocks. Archer bowling bouncers, just so predictable. Literally just gifted Caddick, Mullally, Giddens and Tufnell 30 odd runs

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:21 am

Not entirely sure how Woakes only bowled 5 overs of the 46 in that innings when he’s been the best on show, but a discussion for another time.

Hopefully the top order lasts longer than they did first dig!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:22 am

Sky just flashed up the list of England's ten highest successful runchases ever, this would come in 9th position. Interestingly, all ten have come against either Australia or New Zealand.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:24 am

Does look like very good batting conditions though. England need to try and get through the opening spells relatively unscathed... settle down and then play each ball from Yasir. Not an easy task but it will sure be a test of patience and application. As alfie says, it can be done but not totally convinced they have the batting - however, they might get away with it with one special innings and some good support.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:26 am

England aren't winning this. The lineup with Woakes at 7, that needed the bowling to win the game for them. This is a massive chase against what they are going to be facing. I think they won't even get to 200

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:52 am

I agree with the general view that Pakistan are clear favourites here , though not certain winners yet. As PJ says , batting conditions are fine - although the spinners will get assistance later and need to be played far better than yesterday.

I do think there's been some overreaction after that flurry of runs this morning . Yes , it was spectacular and sudden - and absolutely not what England expected (were they a bit overconfident this morning ?) But in truth it was maybe 20 runs more than anyone had a right to expect.
Makes it harder , yes.  But if they have the ability to chase 260 they can chase 277 . Letting the psychological effect of a few boundaries undo them is something professional sportsmen need to be able to resist.

And no , I'm not saying it's easy at all. But it's possible. Just as it was before three chaotic overs.

14/0 after six. Improvement on first innings Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 08 Aug 2020, 11:54 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Not entirely sure how Woakes only bowled 5 overs of the 46 in that innings when he’s been the best on show, but a discussion for another time.

Hopefully the top order lasts longer than they did first dig!

Often puzzled why Woakes is overlooked. Sometimes you'd think Root doesn't rate him. Weird.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Aug 2020, 12:17 pm

Solid enough start admittedly with few runs, but now Burns gets an umpire's call LBW.

Looks very unhappy with that.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 08 Aug 2020, 12:20 pm

Don't think a lot of that decision.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 08 Aug 2020, 12:23 pm

Can't see anyone arguing that the selection was poor this week!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 08 Aug 2020, 12:45 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Don't think a lot of that decision.

I thought it looked high , to be honest. But umpires call so it stayed out. He is a bit of an lbw candidate , Burns.

Not sure what all the chat was about as he walked off ?

Heart in mouth watching Root trying to cut Yasir too close to his stumps ! What about learning from your mistakes , Joe ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Aug 2020, 1:01 pm

55/1 at lunch. A good start by England against some good bowling. If Root and Sibley can bat for another hour unbeaten, Pakistan might start to get concerned.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 08 Aug 2020, 1:02 pm

England are favourites with the bookies

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 08 Aug 2020, 1:04 pm

Root has a chance to silence a lot of critics in this innings.

Honours even for the session. Pakistan got vital runs and Burns early but Sibley and Root are batting well and have passed 50.

This is brilliantly poised.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Aug 2020, 1:07 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:England are favourites with the bookies

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 08 Aug 2020, 1:15 pm

Just means a bunch of people have stuck money on England for some reason.

Pakistan just need Shah to settle into a rhythm
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 08 Aug 2020, 1:23 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:England are favourites with the bookies

Hmmm. Pakistan remain favourites for me. Slightly strange if they've got it wrong as you don't meet many poor bookies. There again, Duty regularly proves they don't understand cricket.

That said and in line with my comments last night, I don't think we're out of this. Not at all. Despite the annoyance of those early runs biffed by Yasir and the loss of Burns, I would say it's been our session. Sibley firm and even scoring at times with Root pretty assured and looking to run swiftly in line with our instructions. Wink

My fear though is that 1 wicket will lead to 2 and the all too common domino effect. However, it's a batting day for sure on a day 4 track which doesn't seem to be misbehaving and we're currently playing sensibly which gives some cause for optimism.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 08 Aug 2020, 1:44 pm

Mohammad Abbas is very good at cricket.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Aug 2020, 1:49 pm

May not be a lot in it for the seamers, maybe a little low bounce and possible reverse swing, but it's turning sharply and it's very tough out there against Yasir.

Sibley given...surely he missed it? Yes, he did. Howler of a decision.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 08 Aug 2020, 1:50 pm

That is possibly the worst decision i've seen for a long time.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 08 Aug 2020, 1:50 pm

Yasir is all over Sibley here.

That's a poor decision by the umpire though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 08 Aug 2020, 1:57 pm

Didn't England say something about batting positively after the first innings? Not complaining though, this stand has made it look possible. Hell of a long way to go but Stokes exists. Almost believing they'll do it

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 08 Aug 2020, 2:04 pm

I shouldn't enjoy seeing Abbas in the attack right now but I can't help but love watching him bowl.

Some bowlers need about a dozen different variables to fall into line for them to bowl well. So many seamers who can be world beating but only seem comfortable doing so precisely 13 hours after the vernal equinox. Abbas just needs a cricket ball. Brilliant seamer.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next