The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6N 2021 thread

+44
whatahitson
No9
TightHEAD
LordDowlais
mikey_dragon
alive555
eirebilly
king_carlos
Highland Shaun
RiscaGame
R!skysports
Cyril
majesticimperialman
Heaf
doctor_grey
Pal Joey
Gooseberry
Pete330v2
nickj
takethelongroad
flyhalffactory
BamBam
formerly known as Sam
WELL-PAST-IT
EST
Mcsweens
demosthenes
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Geordie
No 7&1/2
jimbopip
lostinwales
funnyExiledScot
bsando
TJ
Tramptastic
Anglobraveheart
NeilyBroon
BigGee
tigertattie
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
RDW
48 posters

Page 10 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 10 Empty Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 21 Dec 2020, 4:00 am

First topic message reminder :

As requested by RDW in the Scotland 2020 thread, I have taken on the job of starting the 2021 6N thread as I want to contribute to the forum as much as I can Smile.

First things first, here are the games and starting times for Scotland 6N 2021 matches :

Game 1: A daunting opener against reigning 6N and ANC champions, England (at a bogey round) on Feb 6th, KO: 1645hrs
Game 2: Our first home game of 6N 2021, against a team in transition or a rebuilding process, Wales on Feb 13th, KO: 1645hrs.
Game 3: Another daunting prospect, this time in the Stade De France, against the very entertaining French team, KO: 1500hrs on Feb 28th.
Game 4: Our second home match, this time against our bogey Celtic cousins Ireland on March 14th, KO: 1500hrs.
Game 5: We end our 2021 campaign at home against Italy, usually seen as a Wooden Spoon decider and one Italy always target as a winnable game, even though its been a few years since they have actually beaten us. This game is on March 20th with a KO time of 1415hrs.

I think most fans would be happy with 3 wins from 5 and Tbh, that is easily achievable if we play to our potential. I know that we have a poor record v Ireland but we know that records are breakable, we are at home so should be aiming for a win in that. I, as most Scotland fans no doubt, would LOVE a win at Twickenham to break the only never ending hoodoo left to beat but I think we all know how tough it will be. It may be good to get them first up but tbh, I don't see it make a difference unless England totally underestimate us or get massively hit by Covid etc.

I also think Gregor Townsend has to deliver positive results etc in order to win over the doubters (I am not one by the way, I am probably the only one on this forum that backs his new contract) once and for all, he will have a tough job picking his squad for the 6N, some players are and will, over the next few weeks, be putting up their hands regarding selection (Rory Hutchinson and Huw Jones fall into this category) and some will be hoping to retain their places on the back of good ANC performances (van der Walt and Duncy Weir for example).

So now comes the bit where you guys can contribute to the thread, who would you pick as the pool of players (is it 26 names?) for the 6N, have you got any left field choices that nobody would expect to see in it, Finlay Christie (as an example because I know a lot would love to see him in the Scotland blue) perhaps?

Hopefully this thread satisfies RDW Wink.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N 2021 thread  - Page 10 Empty Re: Scotland 6N 2021 thread

Post by RDW Sun 14 Feb 2021, 12:49 am

I think this game showed that our strength in depth isn't as strong as we thought. We really missed Ritchie's class, with Graham actually being a bit of a liability. Lang was pretty anonymous in midfield. Price was badly tiring at the end and we really needed fresh energy off the bench but Steele wasn't trusted. Hastings would have made a huge difference off the bench - VDW was never going to come on. I've been disappointed with R Gray's impact - he's looked off the pace and not offered much.

My player ratings to come...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 14 Feb 2021, 2:25 am

Graham lost us that game even before Zander was sent off. He cost us the penalties that led to Wales getting back in and scoring a try. I was a big advocate for him but he proved me wrong on Saturday, he was truly dreadful. Hot headed and nothing but a liability, I've seen lower penalty counts from batman, who I actually think would have been better. Our momentum went after he got us sent back to our 22 repeatedly. Fagerson Jr had a pretty poor penalty count too but nowhere near Graham. I'm surprised he didn't get carded.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 14 Feb 2021, 5:03 am

Yeah losing redpath was a real stinger on Thursday. Considering how influential he was at twickenham it felt like his loss was always going to be felt. Gréât that Graham stepped up though, he was electric in the first half when Scotland got on the front foot.
Hutchinson or Johnson might have offered more than Lang who very much looks like a third/fourth choice inside centre for Scotland. He had less metres and carries than substitue Jones.

Wales were a tougher challenge than England were but a winnable one. I think that’s why it hurts so much. On the flip side, reading through various social media comments many welsh fans seem to feel lucky to have won and others are giving this Scotland side a lot of praise. I’m excited to see how they respond against France. Fingers crossed we’ll get Maitland and Ritchie back.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 14 Feb 2021, 5:40 am

Someone more clever than me can probably explain this. I was certain that at 17-8 up, Scotland had a penalty advantage in Wales red zone. They then crossed the line, for it to be ruled out as obstruction with Wales getting the penalty and going up the field to score.

What happened to the advantage, surely it should have gone back to the original penalty to Scotland? That was what turned the game more for me.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 14 Feb 2021, 5:46 am

eirebilly wrote:Someone more clever than me can probably explain this. I was certain that at 17-8 up, Scotland had a penalty advantage in Wales red zone. They then crossed the line, for it to be ruled out as obstruction with Wales getting the penalty and going up the field to score.

What happened to the advantage, surely it should have gone back to the original penalty to Scotland? That was what turned the game more for me.

I think it came off the back of the 2nd scrum penalty - I don't think we had pen advantage at that time.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 14 Feb 2021, 6:05 am

My player ratings:

Sutherland - 6.5
Held his own as always but not as dominant as last week

Turner - 6.5
Similar to Sutherland not as dominant as last week, and lost 2 lineouts. He put in same great hits though, cutting LRZ in half at one point (not enough to slow him down alas!)

Fagerson - 3
Even before the red he wasn't having the best of games. He actually looked a bit too pumped up and not fully in control. The red card swung the odds hugely in Wales' favour, and it was all of his own making.

Gray - 7
Hugely physical around the contact area, which was obviously a target in the Scotland gameplan. Had a few decent carries too

Cummings - 6.5
An all-action display as always and an ever willing carrier. Lineout wasn't as smooth as last week which is his domain

Thomson N/A, Graham - 2
Graham was a loose cannon and his ill discipline cost us hugely. Some really stupid penalties too. He then suffered the ignominy of being a sub who was then also subbed off. He won't have had many worst days at the office.

Watson - 8
Top performance as always, with his usually big carries and a few turnovers. Played a key role in targeting holding up the attacking players.

Fagerson - 6.5
I don't think he was too bad - he was hugely physical in defence. Gave away a few penalties though and didn't offer much in attack.

Price - 7
He'll be remembered for kicking the ball away at the end but had actually been decent leading up to then, with a great assist for Graham's try. He was clearly flagging from 65 onwards, which might explain the brainfart later on.

Russell - 7.5
He's yet to fully hit his straps this tournament but still had some nice involvements. Great hands for a few of the tries and really clever kicks. There were a few moments of Finnsanity but luckily they were during pen advantage. His goal kicking was very good.

VDM - 7.5
I don't think he's had so many involvements in a game in a very long time! He was used a lot and to great effect. Was so close to being a hero at the end, and will probably rue the fact that he cut in (but wouldn't have known that at the time). I don't think LRZ would have stopped him if he'd kept going straight. Loses half a mark for suspect positioning for their tries.

Lang - 6
Does exactly what it says on the tin - solid and unspectacular.

Harris - 7
One of his better games, and actually looked quite threating in attack! I don't think anyone was expecting him to make a break however as he often didn't have proper support.

Graham - 8
He had no form whatsoever coming into this game but put in a vintage Darcy display. Got involved as much as he could and was on the end of a good try. Even shrugged off AWJ at one point!

Hogg - 9
Outstanding display display from the captain. Constant danger in attack, well taken tries, solid in the air and his usual big kicking game. Question marks should be raised about the decisions not to go for goal however.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sun 14 Feb 2021, 6:46 am

Gary Graham had a nightmare of a game. Where is bradbury and CDP?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 14 Feb 2021, 6:48 am

Bradbury hasn't shown much form for quite a while now, but may end up with a callup if Thomson is out injured. He's the most frustrating player we have - he has all the physical attributes but doesn't seem to have the mentality of work ethic.

CDP I think is injured, but I also think he isn't much more than a stopgap at international level.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 14 Feb 2021, 8:02 am

In all honesty, i would bring Blair Cowan back into the squad over Bradbury and CDP, he is another Mr dependable that would not mske some of the howlers we saw yesterday.

I was narked at GG performance yesterday but on reflection he maybe got caught up in the emotion of the game. He would not have been expecting to come on so soon and wanted to make an impression and prove he should have started.

Other players have had howlers early on in their internstional careers, Harris for example then come good with more experience and exposure.

Dangerous game for him to play though and he may or may not get another chance.

I agree about the SH subbing as well, why have one on the bench if you are not going to use him?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 14 Feb 2021, 8:06 am

RDW wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Someone more clever than me can probably explain this. I was certain that at 17-8 up, Scotland had a penalty advantage in Wales red zone. They then crossed the line, for it to be ruled out as obstruction with Wales getting the penalty and going up the field to score.

I think it came off the back of the 2nd scrum penalty - I don't think we had pen advantage at that time.

Ah ok, cheers buddy. I was certain at the time that Scotland had an advantage and was confused when the ref awarded Wales a penalty. Must have missed the call for advantage over.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Sun 14 Feb 2021, 10:43 am

BigGee wrote:In all honesty, i would bring Blair Cowan back into the squad over Bradbury and CDP, he is another Mr dependable that would not mske some of the howlers we saw yesterday.

I was narked at GG performance yesterday but on reflection he maybe got caught up in the emotion of the game. He would not have been expecting to come on so soon and wanted to make an impression and prove he should have started.

Other players have had howlers early on in their internstional careers, Harris for example then come good with more experience and exposure.

I agree about the SH subbing as well, why have one on the bench if you are not going to use him?

I think you are being a bit lenient on GG there BigGee - one reckless penalty is understandable but you could well make an argument that he lost us that game, his decision making across the piece was atrocious.

I do tend to agree with you on Cowan though, he would be a like for like replacement for Ritchie.

EST

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 14 Feb 2021, 10:57 am

You are probably right and i am just looking for some mitigation.

I like GG as a player, but the jntetnstional game is very different to pro club games. He needs to kearn that and fast. He may not get another shot

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 14 Feb 2021, 11:00 am

EST wrote:
BigGee wrote:In all honesty, i would bring Blair Cowan back into the squad over Bradbury and CDP, he is another Mr dependable that would not mske some of the howlers we saw yesterday.

I think you are being a bit lenient on GG there BigGee - one reckless penalty is understandable but you could well make an argument that he lost us that game, his decision making across the piece was atrocious.

I do tend to agree with you on Cowan though, he would be a like for like replacement for Ritchie.

I think GG played the biggest part in the momentum shift to Wales, the Fagerson card was a result of that change in momentum imo. Much like itoje did for England against us but with no positive impact. He has to be dropped for that, it's unacceptable at club level let alone international. If that was Ryan Wilson we'd all be saying he needs to be dropped. Ritchie has toed the line a lot but his net contribution has almost always been positive.

In his 10-15 minutes I actually think blade looked quite decent, although I think for his health he needs to retire from rugby quite honestly. His brain is probably so rattled he's going to have serious problems in later life.

So who do we call up? Crosbie I think is an option despite not having a huge amount of gametime. Harley very rarely lets anyone down despite not being as impactful. It pains me to say it but we have played well with Wilson in the past although he is a liability in his own right. Is Gordon worth a punt?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 14 Feb 2021, 11:14 am

That's a big hell no to Harley and Wilson. Gordon is an out and out 7 too so not really needed.
Wilson maybe in case of emergency... especially as he's missed the English baiting game. Can maybe wheel him out for the Irish - I know how much they like him.

I think Crosbie is exactly the type of player that would fit in well in this team but he's not playing much. It's a shame the Edinburgh game was cancelled - hopefully he can play this weekend.

Bradbury and Cowan are probably the next cabs off the rank, but neither are inspiring.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sun 14 Feb 2021, 12:03 pm

That result will likely cut the Scottsh Lions squad members in half from around 3 or 4, down to 1 or 2. Bottlers

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 14 Feb 2021, 12:04 pm

Can anyone tell me how many penalties G Graham gave away compared to both Fagersons?

G Graham seems to be getting made the scapegoat and I think he gave away two penalties. The fagersons did more I think. With G Graham I think he’ll get further shots, perhaps not in the 6ns or maybe be Italy. Wilson and fagerson have been given plenty caps to improve their performances but failed so surely Graham should be afforded at least near the same opportunity?

We need someone to really stand up and be our long term 8. Blade for another whack to the head yesterday so this really could be his career over which would just be rotten.

We also need someone to take the 9 shirt off of price who has the game management capabilities of GC’s mildly racist uncle Dougie. He has the ability as his chop to Darcy showed but he’s not got the mental fortitude to be a game contollling international 9
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 14 Feb 2021, 12:30 pm

tigertattie wrote:Can anyone tell me how many penalties G Graham gave away compared to both Fagersons?

G Graham seems to be getting made the scapegoat and I think he gave away two penalties. The fagersons did more I think. With G Graham I think he’ll get further shots, perhaps not in the 6ns or maybe be Italy. Wilson and fagerson have been given plenty caps to improve their performances but failed so surely Graham should be afforded at least near the same opportunity?

We need someone to really stand up and be our long term 8. Blade for another whack to the head yesterday so this really could be his career over which would just be rotten.

We also need someone to take the 9 shirt off of price who has the game management capabilities of GC’s mildly racist uncle Dougie. He has the ability as his chop to Darcy showed but he’s not got the mental fortitude to be a game contollling international 9

At least two, they were memorable because they resulted in giving Wales the initiative and at least one resulted in a Welsh try and were completely needless, it's not as if the ref wasn't shouting instructions. The fact he was subbed back off says it all. Fagerson Jr wasn't much better and was also notable in his penalty count, and definitely doesn't get away with it but we have no other option there. Hopefully with Ritchie back we'll be okay at 6 starting but I no longer have confidence in GG's temperament/discipline. I'd rather see Skinner as a SR/6 on the bench.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 14 Feb 2021, 12:44 pm

Has anyone mentioned Skinner? He would have been handy yesterday. Shame he wasn’t picked in the squad. He’d be first on my call up list.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sun 14 Feb 2021, 12:45 pm

tigertattie wrote:Can anyone tell me how many penalties G Graham gave away compared to both Fagersons?

he gave away 3 out of a total of 11. Two in first half, and one in the second before getting hooked off.

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 14 Feb 2021, 12:50 pm

RDW wrote:

Still, that was such a shame and the obstruction call likely turned the match. Without the obstruction, not sure if Scotland would have scored in that phase, but would have still been knocking on the door.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 14 Feb 2021, 1:08 pm

alive555 wrote:

he gave away 3 out of a total of 11. Two in first half, and one in the second before getting hooked off.

So about a quarter of the penalties, which isn't great but probably no worse than Fagerson M. It was more the timing for me. It was at points where Wales were not a threat at all but then became a threat after being given the opportunity to boot the ball 50 metres down the field for an attacking lineout. Completely unnecessary, lacked the control needed to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

I think it's fair to single him out as probably the worst performer for Scotland, even over Z Fagerson who did sort his scrummaging, that red card was daft but you can see how it happened and was probably more unfortunate than anything, it's not as if he went in for a neck roll or anything.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 14 Feb 2021, 5:31 pm

Well after looking at the brilliant AWS stats, so far it is Tadhg Beirne with 6 penalties conceded leading the way this tournament after round 2. This is followed by Itoje, Genge and AWJ on 5 and then Z Fagerson on 4. Those players all do an 80 minute shift most games.

Graham managed three penalties in 40 minutes. So yeah, not great.

M Fagerson has two penalties to his name (same as Harris and Sutherland) so he's not doing too bad actually and those three players have all played 160 minutes pretty much.

Other negative stats.. Missed tackles = Cian Healy leads (7), Worst Scottish offender are kebble, D Graham and Turner with two missed each. Curry has 5 missed tackles to Watson's 0 missed tackles.

Stuart Hogg and DVDM have a combined 24 broken tackles (Hogg 15, DVDM 9). Third is Ringrose on 8. A Watson 7, H Watson 6

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/statistics/

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 14 Feb 2021, 7:18 pm

I was not particularly happy following the Wales game and refrained from posting. More likely to start an argument than be productive so soon after that loss.

I am annoyed about the red and can see why it is given even if Jones body was moving about. What annoys me is that Wyn Jones was not taken off for a HIA after being struck in the head with force, without mitigation, by a 125kg prop. He goes on to score the next try. Where is the joined up thinking from the refs/medical team to say go get checked out having watched on the big screen how he was struck?

Been using ESPN to add some confusion on the stats.

We gained 508m to Wales's 188m. We won the penalty count 12 - 11 officially (Wales did have penalty advantage a couple of times when they scored that saved us). We beat 27 defenders to 6. We made 11 clean breaks to 7. 62% possession and 65% territory. Wales made 75 more tackles than us.

On turnovers, we lost the count 10 to 9 and we missed 2 lineouts whilst Wales only lost 1.

How the heck did we lose that game?

Our maul defense was poor. We went in the air and tried to disrupt ineffectively. We kept giving away penalties as Wales gained 10m. We could not splinter the Welsh pack when they rolled away from our defense. We had to sell out to try and stop it and all it seemed to do was give Wales space. I don't think the French will use it as much necessarily but we need to tidy it up as the French will enjoy an arm wrestle if they feel they can get an advantage.

For France (assuming we lose Z Fagerson and Thomson, get back Ritchie and Maitland), would like to see R Gray start ahead of Cummings. I think we need the size and J Gray has been our best lock. Cummings has been good but our lineout defense was poor and R Gray will help in the set piece. G Graham and M Fagerson need to be taken aside and told to stop trying so hard. I don't know about H Jones in for Lang due to the horror show in Cardiff three years ago so suspect there will be no changes in the backline.

The other mistake from the Wales game was leaving Price on for 80. That kick of the ball in the final 5 minutes was criminal. Does a fresh Steele make the same mistake? If you don't trust Steele, where is SHC?

Hazel Sapling

alive555, bsando and NeilyBroon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sun 14 Feb 2021, 7:27 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:I was not particularly happy following the Wales game and refrained from posting. More likely to start an argument than be productive so soon after that loss.

I am annoyed about the red and can see why it is given even if Jones body was moving about. What annoys me is that Wyn Jones was not taken off for a HIA after being struck in the head with force, without mitigation, by a 125kg prop. He goes on to score the next try. Where is the joined up thinking from the refs/medical team to say go get checked out having watched on the big screen how he was struck?

Been using ESPN to add some confusion on the stats.

We gained 508m to Wales's 188m. We won the penalty count 12 - 11 officially (Wales did have penalty advantage a couple of times when they scored that saved us). We beat 27 defenders to 6. We made 11 clean breaks to 7. 62% possession and 65% territory. Wales made 75 more tackles than us.

On turnovers, we lost the count 10 to 9 and we missed 2 lineouts whilst Wales only lost 1.

How the heck did we lose that game?

Our maul defense was poor. We went in the air and tried to disrupt ineffectively. We kept giving away penalties as Wales gained 10m. We could not splinter the Welsh pack when they rolled away from our defense. We had to sell out to try and stop it and all it seemed to do was give Wales space. I don't think the French will use it as much necessarily but we need to tidy it up as the French will enjoy an arm wrestle if they feel they can get an advantage.

For France (assuming we lose Z Fagerson and Thomson, get back Ritchie and Maitland), would like to see R Gray start ahead of Cummings. I think we need the size and J Gray has been our best lock. Cummings has been good but our lineout defense was poor and R Gray will help in the set piece. G Graham and M Fagerson need to be taken aside and told to stop trying so hard. I don't know about H Jones in for Lang due to the horror show in Cardiff three years ago so suspect there will be no changes in the backline.

The other mistake from the Wales game was leaving Price on for 80. That kick of the ball in the final 5 minutes was criminal. Does a fresh Steele make the same mistake? If you don't trust Steele, where is SHC?

Those stats are pretty damning for the losing side. Blew it as only Scotland can!

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 14 Feb 2021, 7:40 pm

SHC is not even warming the bench for Exeter atm

May explain why not in the squad.

Dobie is the future, while we blood him of the bench in this 6N?

Looking at the way Varney is playing for Italy, we definitely should!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 14 Feb 2021, 9:13 pm

I'm on the side of those that think Graham should get another chance. He was over eager and lacked composure, but the very fact that someone on this thread mentioned Ryan Wilson tells me that we aren't well stocked with options at 6 assuming Ritchie and Blade are out against France.

That said, Bsando makes a good point re: Skinner. I dont typically opt for locks at 6 (and he's not a natural 6 in terms of pace), but against that meaty French pack, and given the intention to use Blade as an extra jumper, Skinner might be a good fit tactics wise.

As for Bradbury and Crosbie, both need to show more form in my view. Clearly talented and capable, but neither are at the top of their game.

A fully fit Nick Haining would be handy right now.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by takethelongroad Sun 14 Feb 2021, 10:38 pm

Having mulled things over slowly I have concluded a few things. At the time during the game I was happy with the screw being turned with kick to corner for the penalties but in the cold light of day going for 3 would have been the better choice. I still admire Hogg’s tin cup approach but a cooler 3 would be the best option. The red was unfortunate and agree fully that makes an HIA mandatory for the player fouled, by the definition of why a red was deemed necessary. Very galling to see that the last play of the game saw Liam Williams knock the ball backwards away from Hogg who was about to receive the off load from tap tackled VDM and then proceed to tackle Hogg off the ball to prevent the chase and gather. Very disappointing that no TMO saw it fit to review. Reminds me of Kieran Reid knocking the ball out of wee Greeeigs hands at a ruck under the ABs sticks and it being given as a knock on. Anyway, lessons learned and championship is still on. Just about anyway.

takethelongroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 15 Feb 2021, 12:18 am

I seen on The Scottish Rugby supporters Facebook group that this next fortnight is the likely time for replacements, they mentioned Rory Hutchinson and Sam Skinner so are we likely to see more call ups or would it just be injury replacements?

I did not post here yesterday but it wasn't because I was disappointed, I was but I still see enough to be positive about and nothing I saw from today's highlights has me fearing France or Ireland, especially if we play as well as we did for large parts yesterday, the only gripe I have is, "ffs take points when on offer instead of going for touch then messing up" something Brian Moore agrees with going by his comments on the BBC Rugby Special highlights show earlier on.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 15 Feb 2021, 3:02 am

As disappointing as the Wales game was, I'm not completely doom and gloom. We're 1 from 2 which is where we were expected to be at this point anyway, albeit the win came from an unexpected source. The Scottish psyche being the way it is, if anything this makes us more likely to win in France than if Duhan had managed to win it at the death.

Toonie has some big decisions to make that's for sure.

Fagerson will likely be banned which means Nel starts - he won't give away much in the scrums but you do lose the energy, work rate and carrying that Fagerson brings, which means you have to make up for it elsewhere. Given Thomson's history of concussions I'd be surprised if he was fit, as it was a sore one to the back of the head. Who comes in if Ritchie is still out? Gary Graham has all the physical attributes that we need against the French but we don't need another penalty liability 80 minutes. Do we draft a Bradbury straight in? If Ritchie is fit I think he comes back in with Graham kept on the bench, but having had a big kick up the arse about his stupid penalties.

In the backs if Redpath is fit he needs to start. If he's not, what does Toonie do? I'm in two minds as to whether substituting greater attacking threat against defensive solidity (Hutchinson) is really the way to go against the French. Saying that, we are going to need to score tries as France are definitely going to score them against us.

What about the back 3, which performed very well against Wales? Unfortunately for wee Darcy I think Maitland should come back in, but that's nothing against his performance.

Toonie showed against Wales that he really doesn't trust our replacement halfbacks, which isn't a good position to be in. It was great to see Hastings out running with the team but suspect this will be too soon for him to return.

So not all doom and gloom, but certainly worrying times!

As for the bench Berghan will likely come in, but other than that can see it staying the same. Need Ritchie G to really start stepping up and making an impact when he comes on.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 15 Feb 2021, 3:40 am

I would be harsh and drop Gary Graham altogether (thank god I'm not the Head coach ahahaha) until the Georgia and Romania Tests in the summer.

For me, if Cammy is out then play Huw Jones.

I'm torn between dropping Graham for Maitland because Darcy was excellent yesterday but then again, Sean was last weekend.

Hopefully some put their hands up for selection next weekend when playing for their clubs, Alex Craig perhaps.

I'm only new to Rugby but yes, I agree with you RDW, definitely lots to be positive about, we have the foundations of being a very good team: solid defence (apart from if we get someone sent to the Sin-bin or sent off), very exciting backline in Hogg, Russell, King Duhan and Redpath, and strength in depth.

3 wins was the aim for us (the fans) and tbh, we should achieve that but we shouldn't fear France, they looked poor against Ireland from the highlights I saw on the BBC highlights show earlier.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 15 Feb 2021, 3:45 am

Highland Shaun wrote:I would be harsh and drop Gary Graham altogether (thank god I'm not the Head coach ahahaha) until the Georgia and Romania Tests in the summer.

For me, if Cammy is out then play Huw Jones.

I'm torn between dropping Graham for Maitland because Darcy was excellent yesterday but then again, Sean was last weekend.

Hopefully some put their hands up for selection next weekend when playing for their clubs, Alex Craig perhaps.

I'm only new to Rugby but yes, I agree with you RDW, definitely lots to be positive about, we have the foundations of being a very good team: solid defence (apart from if we get someone sent to the Sin-bin or sent off), very exciting backline in Hogg, Russell, King Duhan and Redpath, and strength in depth.

3 wins was the aim for us (the fans) and tbh, we should achieve that but we shouldn't fear France, they looked poor against Ireland from the highlights I saw on the BBC highlights show earlier.

Alas neither Jones nor Harris are feasible options at 12 - it really didn't go well the last time they played together (we were humped 38-5 by Wales or whatever it was). We're a different team now but we're asking for trouble if we pair them together again, as neither are 12s. I think most likely is Lang plays again - it would be too much for Toonie to bring Hutchinson in straight away I reckon.

Given that Russell is never going to be subbed off and VDW is never going to be subbed on barring injury, I wonder if we would have Hutch on in the bench in his place. Hogg being the emergency choice at 10 (or even Hutch himself).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 15 Feb 2021, 7:52 am

France are beatable. I'd like to see us go for the title because that Welsh side are due a loss so it's not like they'll be going for the slam, whether it's to France or England. 3 wins was the aim. Four is now within reach imo. Whilst I agree it's not doom and gloom I'm tired of just doing okay. We should be targeting the rest. France are probably the only team left who could cause us a lot of trouble but they are just as fragile mentally as us. Ireland I'm more worried, they look like they'll be trying to rescue their tournament and if Wales are our bogeymen, Ireland are our nightmare. Even still this is the best time to break that chain, Ireland look like what they are, a side coached by Andy Farrell. Italy are dangerous, but we should win. I'd like to see the rapier out for that game, as we'll need points.

We can win the tournament. That should be our goal. 3 wins is fine but it's not so much progress but staying the same.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 15 Feb 2021, 9:23 am

Having slept on it twice now, i'm still not over it or sure how we lost that game.  The guys at the Thistle Rugby Podcast have put forward that it was the 20 mins or so either side of halftime, during that period we turned down 6 kickable points and conceded 7 penalites, one of which was the crossing that almost certainly would have been a try for Cummings  had GG stayed out of it.  From 17-3 up to 17-15 in the relative blink of an eye,  gift wrapped to Wales through consecutive penalites allowing them to get field position.  It's inexcusable and just so disappointing.

In terms of who we bring into the team, I like GG but I do wonder how Toonie can pick him after the weekend. On the assumption that Ritchie is fit, I would consider Skinner, Cowan and Wilson (who is actually playing really well for Glasgow, although I would understand the reservations about picking him), and give Fagerson Jnr a kick up the arse in training.  Like others, I would strongly consider Richie Gray coming into the starting line-up, he has impressed recently and Cummings would offer more of the bench against this massive French pack.  Berghan will come in for Fagerson on the bench.

In the backs, I think it's time to bring through Dobie on the bench, he has looked to the manor born so far for Glasgow and is more talented than Steele, who Toonie obviously doesn't trust.  Lang didn't do a great wrong, but we played around him and he was a passenger in attack - we need more from 12.  I would start Taylor if Redpath isn't fit.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 15 Feb 2021, 11:00 am

Yeah not brining Steele on was a poor decision by Toonie. Price is a solid scrum half but we needed some fresh legs to help win it back in the last ten minutes. He looked more than capable against England as well so I don't understand why Toonie left him on the bench.

GG might have better games. I thought he was poor but I'd be happy to see him involved again. He's been out in the cold for several years where as Cummings has been a consistent starter for a while now so it may have just been a system error. Sure he will feel gutted he messed up an easy try after all that hard work by the team to be on the Welsh line. Scotland still have white line fever when it comes to the pack trying to bundle over at short range.

Looking back at the last try by Wales, Halaholo threw a really nice flat pass for LRZ to run onto that made it impossible for VDM or Hogg to run him down. If that pass had been a bit deeper LRZ would have had to slow his run and VDM would have probably just caught him. But it was inch perfect and LRZ was able to steam ahead onto it. I knew Halaholo would be an awesome player for Wales, totally baffled that Pivac didn't pick him in his initial squad.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 15 Feb 2021, 11:10 am

bsando wrote:Yeah not brining Steele on was a poor decision by Toonie. Price is a solid scrum half but we needed some fresh legs to help win it back in the last ten minutes. He looked more than capable against England as well so I don't understand why Toonie left him on the bench.

GG might have better games. I thought he was poor but I'd be happy to see him involved again. He's been out in the cold for several years where as Cummings has been a consistent starter for a while now so it may have just been a system error. Sure he will feel gutted he messed up an easy try after all that hard work by the team to be on the Welsh line. Scotland still have white line fever when it comes to the pack trying to bundle over at short range.

Looking back at the last try by Wales, Halaholo threw a really nice flat pass for LRZ to run onto that made it impossible for VDM or Hogg to run him down. If that pass had been a bit deeper LRZ would have had to slow his run and VDM would have probably just caught him. But it was inch perfect and LRZ was able to steam ahead onto it. I knew Halaholo would be an awesome player for Wales, totally baffled that Pivac didn't pick him in his initial squad.

Yeah, Wales had started to find some nice attacking shape in the second half - Sheedy coming on, red card giving more space and Halaholo playing well all contributed. For the last try, it helped that DHVDM jammed - but you have to give credit to Halaholo and Zammit, the boy has serious, serious gas.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 15 Feb 2021, 11:12 am

I thought Halaholo did a really great job of committing VDM, to be fair.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 15 Feb 2021, 11:16 am

That might be the first time VDM was tested in defence, either he didn't look great or the Scotland defence needs work. Don't think he could have done anything to stop the individual brilliance of LRZ anyway.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 15 Feb 2021, 11:53 am

Just had a look on the replay, to be fair Wales had almost manufactured a 3 v 1 - Halaholo, Faletau and LRZ - with Harris trying to track across and DHVDM marking two players. Not a great deal more he could have done in honesty, Wales had created the space really well and it was a world class finish.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 15 Feb 2021, 12:03 pm

Yeah I think Scotland were more at fault at the ruck preceding the try. R Gray needed to disrupt it more to slow the ball down a bit really. Wales got nice clean ball and their backs did the rest.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 16 Feb 2021, 5:14 pm

Fabian Galthie has now tested positive as well as another member of the French squad support staff.

It is going to be interesting to see how this next match plays out now or even if it happens at all.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 16 Feb 2021, 7:14 pm

France 0- 28 Scotland
It's only fair.
It'll be the same scoreline for their match v Wales and a French forward will be picked at random for the red card and subsequent ban.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 16 Feb 2021, 7:40 pm

jimbopip wrote: France 0- 28 Scotland
It's only fair.
It'll be the same scoreline for their match v Wales and a French forward will be picked at random for the red card and subsequent ban.

Do you think the ref just gets the card out to make it clear it's a penalty to the red team?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 16 Feb 2021, 7:59 pm

Laugh

There is some proper biatches on here. Wink

LordDowlais

NeilyBroon and jimbopip like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Tue 16 Feb 2021, 8:40 pm

When will we find out the punishment for the lad that got sent off, I'm sure I seen Tweets from journalists saying it was tonight but I can't seem to find anything?

Regarding France, they'll be out of isolation on the Friday and should be able to train on the Saturday so surely there won't be doubts about us playing then :-O.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 16 Feb 2021, 8:43 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Laugh

There is some proper biatches on here. Wink

To be honest I'm hoping we get a chance to prove ourselves against France. Obviously proper social distancing protocol will have to be followed, and given the positive cases in the French camp they can't handle the ball for risk of transmission and will need to give our players two metres at all times.

I'm sure we'd still find a way to lose!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 16 Feb 2021, 10:57 pm

Well there you go. World rugby is farcical when it comes to adjudication.

There’s no point on even trying to play on a level playing field.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 16 Feb 2021, 11:14 pm

For those no in the know, Fagerson gets 4 weeks.

How TF is that deemed more serious than PoMs one?

The reason he got longer apparently is because he didn't accept it was a red card (but accepted it was reckless play).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 16 Feb 2021, 11:19 pm

It’s farcical. Many pundits saying it was a harsh red but was deserved due to the letter of the law

So the rugby public say it was a poor red but accept it. Meanwhile POM confessed to recklessly charging into a player where that player can’t even see it coming let alone defend himself but POM gets a lesser ban

I’m not saying world rugby is corrupt, but I can see why many Pacific Islanders hate them
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 16 Feb 2021, 11:23 pm

It perhaps shows a bit of naivty from the SRU too - we all know if you turn up, fully admit the charges, bring a nice pack of biscuits and smile nicely you'll get let off lightly (AKA PoM). Sounds like the SRU tried to dispute the charge, which was potentially a long shot, and has resulted in a longer ban.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 16 Feb 2021, 11:24 pm

That’s an outrageous penalty. Just reeks of "we’re the big boys, play by the rules or you’ll pay the price". I’m glad he refused to play ball and admit it was a red card offence, you’ve got to be true to yourself and not give in to pressure.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next