The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

+29
LeinsterFan4life
lostinwales
RDW
Heaf
Tattie Scones RRN
Mcsweens
Mad for Chelsea
sensisball
RiscaGame
Tramptastic
Margin_Walker
No 7&1/2
Anglobraveheart
EWT Spoons
demosthenes
Old Man
EST
tigertattie
TJ
Highland Shaun
Geordie
bsando
doctor_grey
funnyExiledScot
Hazel Sapling
TheMildlyFranticLlama
BigGee
jimbopip
George Carlin
33 posters

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27 - Page 15 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

Post by George Carlin Mon 23 Aug 2021, 10:59 am

First topic message reminder :

For those Scottish and Scottish-rugby interested posters who just cannot seem to shut the feic up about it.

26,000 posts of abject nonsense and incorrect usage of the quote function (and counting).

We should be proud. king
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27 - Page 15 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

Post by EST Mon 17 Jan 2022, 1:43 pm

BigGee wrote:I suspect it might be an unpleasant video review back up in Scotstoun this morning before putting it to bed and concentrating on next saturday.

La Rochelle have already qualified so hard to know how seriously they will take this fixture, also hard to know how well they will travel. Either way though, we will have to turn up this time to beat them.

There will likely be a few changes in the Glasgow side, some for injury, some for form:

1. Bhatti - who had the better game of the 2 LHs
2. Turner - who threw better and generally had the better game than FB, maybe was subbed to early
3. Fagerson Z
4. Cummings - who had a quiet game, so maybe Exeter's interest in him is cooling!
5. Gray - hopefully back and in form
6. Fagerson M
7. Darge - also subbed early but more likely to save him for this match
8. Dempsey - Not his best game either but still our best option
9. Price - will start but needs to redeem himself for a poor game
10. Thompson - also needs to play better
11. Mclean - Forbes had a bit of an all round shocker
12. Johnson
13. Steyn - Tuipolotu looked injured when he came off
14. Canciliere
15. McKay

Subs:

16. Keeble - did not make much of an impact when he came on
17. Brown - though I don't think Mathews would let us down
18. Pieretto
19. McDonald
20. Wilson
21. Dobie - He has done nothing wrong and yet is not getting any opportunity
22. Weir
23. Any other fit back who is not Forbes!

Bearing in mind it is La Rochelle, with their monster pack, DW may go 6/2 on the bench then presumably Bean or Harley will come in for the outside back.

I agree with that team BigGee, although would be tempted to include Miotti on the bench - we have an international class FH kicking his heels just now, there may be a good reason for that but can't help feel he should be getting some game time.

Just on the Exeter match, it really was a complete implosion - I could barely believe what I was watching - some of the organisation in defence was schoolboy stuff...all this against a Exeter team which (in the pack anyway) was far, far short of the first choice.

EST

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27 - Page 15 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

Post by BigGee Mon 17 Jan 2022, 1:50 pm

I am not sure Miotta can play, as there is some restrictions on non European players in this tournament.

Am not sure he was in our squad.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 17 Jan 2022, 2:16 pm

EST wrote:
BigGee wrote:I suspect it might be an unpleasant video review back up in Scotstoun this morning before putting it to bed and concentrating on next saturday.

La Rochelle have already qualified so hard to know how seriously they will take this fixture, also hard to know how well they will travel. Either way though, we will have to turn up this time to beat them.

There will likely be a few changes in the Glasgow side, some for injury, some for form:

2. Turner - who threw better and generally had the better game than FB, maybe was subbed to early
3. Fagerson Z
4. Cummings - who had a quiet game, so maybe Exeter's interest in him is cooling!
6. Fagerson M
12. Johnson
14. Canciliere
15. McKay

Subs:

18. Pieretto
19. McDonald
20. Wilson
22. Weir

Bearing in mind it is La Rochelle, with their monster pack, DW may go 6/2 on the bench then presumably Bean or Harley will come in for the outside back.

I agree with that team BigGee, although would be tempted to include Miotti on the bench - we have an international class FH kicking his heels just now, there may be a good reason for that but can't help feel he should be getting some game time.

Just on the Exeter match, it really was a complete implosion - I could barely believe what I was watching - some of the organisation in defence was schoolboy stuff...all this against a Exeter team which (in the pack anyway) was far, far short of the first choice.

EST, I agree very much with this esp. re the shambolic defending. However, and not wanting to make excuses, players like Batman, Chuckles and OK have played very little rugby in the past 5 or 6 weeks so may have been ring rusty to say the least. Cole Forbes on the other hand chin He really looked a prospect when he first arrived. IIRC he was mainly playing 15. Since McKay arrived he has been moved to wing and with Titman, Seaman, Fifita, Canciliere and Tagive he has plenty of competition. Forbes has not looked a happy bunny, granted this is just from his body language on TV, and I wonder if (a) he prefers 15 to 11 or (b) he needs to feel he is first choice in his position to feel confident? Mind you he could be carrying a knock and putting the team first. There is a very good player in there but we're not really seeing it at the moment.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 17 Jan 2022, 3:21 pm

jimbopip wrote:
EST wrote:

3. Fagerson Z
6. Fagerson M
12. Johnson
14. Canciliere
15. McKay

Subs:

18. Pieretto
19. McDonald
20. Wilson
22. Weir

EST, I agree very much with this esp. re the shambolic defending. However, and not wanting to make excuses, players like Batman, Chuckles and OK have played very little rugby in the past 5 or 6 weeks so may have been ring rusty to say the least. Cole Forbes on the other hand chin He really looked a prospect when he first arrived. IIRC he was mainly playing 15. Since McKay arrived he has been moved to wing and with Titman, Seaman, Fifita, Canciliere and Tagive he has plenty of competition. Forbes has not looked a happy bunny, granted this is just from his body language on TV, and I wonder if (a) he prefers 15 to 11 or (b) he needs to feel he is first choice in his position to feel confident? Mind you he could be carrying a knock and putting the team first. There is a very good player in there but we're not really seeing it at the moment.

You could be right on Batman etc, the impact off the bench was pretty much non-existent.  In general its really difficult to figure out what went wrong, the teams looked evenly matched up until the 50th min and then.....complete capitulation.  The defending for the first try off first phase was unconvincing, so maybe there was signs there of what was to come, but I can hardly remember a game where the wheels came off the bus quite as quickly.

I think Forbes does look like a better 15 than wing..... lets hope he can learn something from the experience, i'd say his coat is on the shoogliest peg in Scotstoun.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 18 Jan 2022, 4:45 pm

Kenny Murray moves on from the Warriors and becomes head of international settlement and U20s coach, which I think is the job that Sean Lineen used to have.

Peter Murchie takes over as defence coach for Glasgow.

KM has actually been Glasgows longest serving coach since 2013 with Toonie and Rennie before DW.

Clearly never going to be a head coach, but may well be very suited to his new role.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Jan 2022, 9:11 pm

Aye it was clear he was never going to be more than an assistant so not surprised he's moving on.

Grant Gilchrist signs a 'longterm deal' which will probably see him retire at Edinburgh. A great servant for the team and still plenty to offer for Scotland.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 19 Jan 2022, 11:07 am

Some talk of Bradbury moving on at the end of this season. He is out of contract and Sarries and Exeter giving him the once over.

Edinburgh are not short of No.8s with Mata, Haining and Kunevola with Munchester up and coming as well.

Maybe not a bad move all round, a move might be the making of him.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 19 Jan 2022, 11:16 am

Almost certain that he's off then. Once there's rumours they almost alway go!

Agree that it would be the making of him if he went to one of the top AP teams. Although he'll not get much gametime at 8 competing with the likes of Vunipola, Dombrandt or Simmons, depending where he goes.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 19 Jan 2022, 11:26 am

Sarries would be a good fit considering the Scots connection. B Vunipola hits 30 next year and has a long injury history.

Exeter have done well with Scots but as mentioned Simmonds will dominate playing time at 8 and there is already plenty of good BS' to pick from (Ewers, Vermeulen, Kirsten, Capstick) .

Surprised Bath have not come knocking. To me, Bayliss is better suited as a BS who can cover 8, Faletau is off and they really miss Mercer. Bradbury would likely fit into the salary structure and offer something different.

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Wed 19 Jan 2022, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Realised the Vunipola's signed an extension in December 2021)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 19 Jan 2022, 12:39 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Sarries would be a good fit considering the Scots connection. B Vunipola hits 30 next year and has a long injury history.

Exeter have done well with Scots but as mentioned Simmonds will dominate playing time at 8 and there is already plenty of good BS' to pick from (Ewers, Vermeulen, Kirsten, Capstick) .

Surprised Bath have not come knocking. To me, Bayliss is better suited as a BS who can cover 8, Faletau is off and they really miss Mercer. Bradbury would likely fit into the salary structure and offer something different.

He might want to play for a club that wins occasionally though, he had enough of that at Edinburgh Run

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 20 Jan 2022, 4:54 pm

In all that excitement about the Six Nations, Edinburgh have a game tomorrow against Brive

Schoeman - Cherry - Williams (Courtney - McInally - Nel)
Young - Gilchrist (Sykes)
Ritchie - Kunavula - Watson (Muncaster)

Shiel - Kinghorn (Pyrgos - Savala)
Hutchison - Bennett (Immelman)
Owsley - Boffelli - Graham

Unavailable: Luke Crosbie, Luan de Bruin, Nick Haining, Damien Hoyland, James Lang, Viliame Mata, Ramiro Moyano, Ben Toolis

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 20 Jan 2022, 5:06 pm

Looks like Blair has rotated heavily from last week. Not sure if it is a fall guy scenario or trying to build some confidence in the depth of the squad.

Would have given a start to Muncaster but I guess it is already a fairly inexperienced side, especially on the bench. Interested to see how Owsley gets on

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Jan 2022, 3:07 am

I suspect the latter Hazel - he said he's alway planned to rotate in Europe. I'm surprised he didn't rotate even more!

Noticed that Charlie Sheil has 40 caps - when did that happen?? That's only 4 less than Darcy Graham!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 21 Jan 2022, 9:38 am

Can't imagine the French are going to be taking an away match in Challenge Cup very seriously.

Good chance to rotate and try a few players out.

Sheil has 40 caps, but how many starts? He seems a decent player when he gets the chance but the coaches just don't seem to trust him unfortunately

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 21 Jan 2022, 10:17 am

RDW wrote:I suspect the latter Hazel - he said he's alway planned to rotate in Europe. I'm surprised he didn't rotate even more!

Noticed that Charlie Sheil has 40 caps - when did that happen?? That's only 4 less fewer than Darcy Graham!
Yours, FES  Whistle
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 21 Jan 2022, 11:59 am

1. Oli Kebble (66)
2. Fraser Brown (C) (115)
3. Zander Fagerson (107)
4. Scott Cummings (84)
5. Richie Gray (70)
6. Matt Fagerson (78)
7. Rory Darge (14)
8. Jack Dempsey (9)

9. Ali Price (103)
10. Ross Thompson (25)
11. Rufus McLean (15)
12. Sam Johnson (82)
13. Sione Tuipulotu (11)
14. Kyle Steyn (41)
15. Josh McKay (5)

16. George Turner (70)
17. Jamie Bhatti (57)
18. Simon Berghan (1)
19. Kiran McDonald (42)
20. Ryan Wilson (200)
21. George Horne (74)
22. Duncan Weir (115)
23. Ollie Smith (9)

Unavailable for selection: Hamish Bain, Rob Harley, Sean Kennedy, Tom Lambert, Ally Miller.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 21 Jan 2022, 12:03 pm

A few changes, maybe not enough!

Sione Tuipolotu looked injured last weekend, so good to see him back.

McLean back in is a good thing and good to see Berghan and Smith on the bench. A little bit surprised to see Horne there as well though and am getting a little concerned about Dobie's lack of opportunity this season.

RG will strengthen the pack and it does look a decent team, though we did say the same last week and it was for 50 mins!

80 mins this time out please!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 21 Jan 2022, 12:14 pm

Overall the team looks slightly stronger (R Gray for Bean, McLean for an out-of-form Forbes) though still could do with some more impact off the bench.

La Rochelle can't be too up for this right? Picked a strong 23

Priso - Bourgari - Atonio (Aouf - Bosch - Papidze)
Sazy - Picquette (Lavault)
Bourdeau - Aldritt - P Boudement (Tanguy)

Kerr-Barlow - Poppelin (Berjon - West)
Danty - Rhule
P Boudiement - Dulin - Leyds (Buliruara)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 21 Jan 2022, 12:23 pm

La Rochelle do seem to be taking it seriously. Short of Skelton, that is not far short of their strongest side.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 21 Jan 2022, 3:33 pm

21 of the 23 are SQ!
Also we seemed to lose a lot of defensive cohesion when 10 went to 15, 15 went to 11 and 11 went to 13 last week.
This week Ollie Smith covers wing and full back and Seaman covers 13. Shona can move in to 12 if needed.
I don't understand why Dobie isn't included. However it is great to see Bergan and Titman included and hopefully Ollie Smith will get a chance to show what he can do.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Jan 2022, 10:02 pm

An absolute horsing for Edinburgh tonight - a 10 try romp. Freddy Owsely making the most of his first appearance with 2 tries. That boy is quick!

Mcinally went off for an HIA which is a bit of worry for the 6N.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 21 Jan 2022, 10:28 pm

Did not see the Edinburgh game (BT had an excellent Quins vs Castres game with several questionable decisions from Adamson unfortunately). Owsley was given MotM so the question is does this mean we are going to see more of him? What does it mean for Blain?

Steele started off skittishly and made some wrong decisions but his passing was accurate/quick and his box kicking was generally great. H Jones scored a try and looked a handful in attack. Has a real chance to stake a claim with the two Quins centres away. Mak Wilson held up in the scrum and did not look terrible in his half of action, however he did not stand out either.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 21 Jan 2022, 11:20 pm

So basically the Luvvies got lucky?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 21 Jan 2022, 11:32 pm

jimbopip wrote:So basically the Luvvies got lucky?
Well, in a matter of speaking and giving latitude for different life experiences, it kind of depends how one exactly defines the word 'lucky'....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Jan 2022, 11:39 pm

Yes, 10 times!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 22 Jan 2022, 11:55 am

RDW wrote:

Yes, 10 times!

It’s almost like Edinburgh are a proper rugby team eh.

Thankfully we’ll be able to provide some decent, on form players to the Scotland team to counter act those useless Glasgow “players” or who spend more time fixing their hair and applying fake tan than they do counter rucking or making tackles.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 22 Jan 2022, 12:00 pm

Key words in your post; "almost...like".

I am living with the hope that kills: Glasgow will come out (but not in a Luvvie way) tonight and batter La Rochelle into the middle of next week. it might happen.

Damn BT Sports, if only I had a reliable stream. But don't get me started on my prostate, again.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Jan 2022, 12:49 pm

imbopip wrote:Key words in your post; "almost...like".

I am living with the hope that kills: Glasgow will come out (but not in a Luvvie way) tonight and batter La Rochelle into the middle of next week. it might happen.

Damn BT Sports, if only I had a reliable stream. But don't get me started on my prostate, again.
You know, mi amigo, I can help you with your problem. On the other hand, you can do it yourself....

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27 - Page 15 813sS8ndH9L._AC_SL1500_
 Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27 - Page 15 81gbUXAWwKL._AC_SL1500_

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 22 Jan 2022, 12:55 pm

keep your hands to yourself Shocked
It's not that kind of forum. warning Not even for the Luvvies.

jimbopip

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 22 Jan 2022, 1:22 pm

Looks like josh Baylis has done himself a mischief

Appeared to just thud the ground trying to collect a ball in his 5m line
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 22 Jan 2022, 1:24 pm

And then underhill decides to try and one up him by tackling with his face.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:00 pm

Glad Glasgow are playing Meat Loaf at half time.  I can just listen and enjoy.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:06 pm

OMG - what a score by Glasgow.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:11 pm

Not again

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:16 pm

Did you hear the joke about the garryowen?
Forget it. It’s way over your head.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:21 pm

An apartment building is on fire and a woman screams in fear and agony out the window for help.
“Just jump out the window,” a man yells. “I’m a Rugby player. I can catch you.”
“What team do you play for?”
“Bath” shouts the man.
“Ehhhh,” shrugs the woman. “Never mind.”

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:23 pm

All falling apart for Glasgow

(Loving the jokes doc)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:25 pm

What would the scoreline be if they'd gone for the penalty kick rather than the driving maul?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:26 pm

No scrum penalty?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:37 pm

It’s tough to stay married. My wife kisses the dog on the lips, yet she won’t drink from my glass.

c'mon Glasgow.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:38 pm

Agree with Andy. Wrong call.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:39 pm

I hope Glasgow realise the clock was ticking whilst they exchanging love and kisses there.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:48 pm

game effort - good game to watch......

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 22 Jan 2022, 9:52 pm

What a rag tag mob Glasgow are at the moment after all these European games. Moments of brilliance and pure stupidity, endless mistakes from the high tempo game plan (much like the Rennie era). They looked to have turned a corner a few weeks ago but clearly not. Personally I think Glasgow need to play a bit smarter at times because they do have a really good squad.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 22 Jan 2022, 10:08 pm

2 late tries very much flatter the scoreline - Glasgow were well beaten there

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sat 22 Jan 2022, 10:33 pm

If we are out of the Champions Cup, we can only blame ourselves. We concede a try at the half because McKay tried to be too smart and gave La Rochelle field position. If no one scores, we go into the half down by 1 instead of 6. Our restarts....I thought we had moved past that.

We were overrunning the balls when they came out wide and I can't tell if it is the passer or the person running the line who is at fault. Our work at the breakdown was shoddy with terrible ball for Price to deal with whilst La Rochelle had an armchair ride. G Horne actually made a difference when he came on by moving the ball around much quicker but the game was already over.

The substitutions were generally okay, but it was clear McKay was not playing well after the second shank. McKay for me was awful with multiple shanked kicks, the mistake above and I think we lost turnover ball off him a couple of times. Complete lack of faith in Smith so I am quite happy he scored two simple tries including one where everyone switched off but he finished the play.

The camera work by BT was poor for a top tier competition but I digress.

After all that, I have to remind myself we were within two or three dumb decisions of winning and it was our decision making rather than the quality of the opposition that cost us. Our scrum won the battle and R Gray should be in the Scotland squad ahead of Cummings and Hodgson on current form.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 22 Jan 2022, 10:59 pm

Well, better than last week, but that is about all we can say.

Having said that La Rochelle are a pretty serious European side these days, who want to be seeded as high as possible in the next round, they came over to play hard and win and they did.

We are not at that level. We have played two good games in the qualification and that may or may not be enough to go through with our 5 points and that is probably a few more than we thought we would get when we saw the draw!

I am not so bothered if we qualify or not really , except it would probably be good for some of the young kids in the side to get more of this kind of experience. Thompson has shown his inexperience in both of the last two games but worth pointing out that he only made his pro debut a year ago, so not going to be to hard on him.

Will be cheering on Exeter tomorrow!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Jan 2022, 12:21 pm

Yes, Glasgow need a solid season playing together to work out their best 23.

Lots of talent but no control at crucial times.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 23 Jan 2022, 12:52 pm

Ya know what Glasgow need.

A Cockers type of coach to give structure and solidity
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 23 Jan 2022, 4:27 pm

tigertattie wrote:Ya know what Glasgow need.

A Cockers type of coach to give structure and solidity

vomit

Glasgow's set piece really was not the issue outside of the restarts. If we were demolished in the scrum and at lineout time I would agree, it was backs not recognising the situations they were in as opposed to a lack of gnarliness.

Needed practicality, not no backs play.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next