The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 2022 summer tour

+41
EWT Spoons
R!skysports
sensisball
Heuer27
king_carlos
GLove39
No9
Heaf
Sgt_Pooly
Mad for Chelsea
RiscaGame
cakeordeath
Dirtydave
takethelongroad
NeilyBroon
doctor_grey
No 7&1/2
majesticimperialman
funnyExiledScot
lostinwales
Mcsweens
EST
George Carlin
Margin_Walker
mikey_dragon
Tattie Scones RRN
Irish Londoner
Tramptastic
TheMildlyFranticLlama
TJ
dummy_half
demosthenes
bsando
Old Man
Highland Shaun
BigGee
RDW
tigertattie
Anglobraveheart
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
45 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Scotland 2022 summer tour  - Page 9 Empty Scotland 2022 summer tour

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:41 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland 2022 Six Nations Lookahead

A place to discuss the rollercoaster of dark horse conversation and sheer despair. Somewhere in-between, someone will go off on a mild tangent.

Schedule
5th Feb - England (H)
12th Feb - Wales (A)
26th Feb - France (H)
12th March - Italy (A)
19th March - Ireland (A)

Scotland's recent performances
2021: 4th (3 wins, same as 2nd)
2020: 4th (3 wins, same points as 3rd)
2019: 5th (1 win, 1 draw)
2018: 3rd (3 wins, same as 2nd)
2017: 4th (3 wins, same points as 2nd)

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Scotland 2022 summer tour  - Page 9 Empty Re: Scotland 2022 summer tour

Post by TJ Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:19 am

I am going to disagree with the consensus and lay the blame at Townsends door.  He clearly has not prepared the team properly.  He is still learning what it takes to be an international coach and has wasted 4 years of the best generation of players we have ever had IMO

Townsend simply is too inexperienced at international level ad is unable to get the best out of the team

Russell did look grim and out of sorts against France but thats Townsends fault IMO. He is not putting pout a team with tactics they believe in and / or are able to play

Russell was replaced by Kinghorn BTW and I disagree with others here about Hastings.

Don't blame the monkey - blame the organ grinder

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:37 am

I agree with some of what you are saying there TJ, but, I don't think that the blame can be placed wholly on Townsend for the issues in our team play this championship - let's face it, we were poor against England for a lot of the game as well as against Wales and France.
If the system(s) aren't what is wanted, then you work as a team to resolve them.
Let's not overlook, these guys are high profile, professional sportsmen who get paid a LOT of money to play for their country, and perform their role. Just as in any job, you need to crack on with it. I don't think that Finn, much as I admire his star qualities when they appear, was actually attempting to crack on with it, after his poor kick, and even more poor kivk chase and realignment.
Yes there are things that are wrong, but it is multiple issues, not just the coaches game plan.
Players failing to put effort in or with poor discipline issues is predominantly down to the ayers imo.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:39 pm

I am on the TJ train, and feel that Townsend is not up to the job and will double down and think it is time to move on from Finn. We need someone who is consistent and follows the plan and quite frankly I think Finn has been more poor for us that good and think he has lost us more games than he has won. _there said it

It is no point having someone who is so random that the team has no idea which one will turn up.

Our outlook is going to be exactly the same as it has been the last 5 years. Flatter to deceive, beat one team then flop - We are the 4/5th best team in the 6 nations and stats don't lie. Best to accept it and feel a lot less angry at the results - more time to focus on the beer

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:55 pm

I have no qualms with saying that Townsend should never have received the job when he did from Cotter. It was a coup and Townsend was out of his depth.

On the other hand, he has matured into a good coach who has regularly attracted good coaches to work with him. I think this his final 18 months and whatever happens in 2023, it will be time to move on.

The problem with moving him on now is who is the saviour going to be? The ship has sailed for Cotter, McFarland probably does not have fond memories of his exit and Blair is certainly not ready. In terms of coaches in the English Prem are we going to be able to lure Baxter or McCall? I doubt it.

From Southern Hemisphere, would Scott Robertson come over rather than seeing if Foster gets let go after the 2023 RWC? Maybe RDW knows a credible coach worth a shot, however I am struggling to see who would want to take us on a year from a RWC.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:15 pm

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish-daily-mail/20220301/282694755613166

Some interesting comments /suggestions from Rob in his column yesterday :O.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:26 pm

Good cases for all of those calls, but maybe not all at the same time!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:58 pm

He didn't go nearly far enough!
So mad
It would seem that Toonie has two options: play his strongest starting XV against Italy and then the same against Ireland, or "rest" some of our nailed on starters and look at other possible combinations.
This is trickier than it sounds. Three wins is not a bad tournament for us. Two wins is just about enough to keep Toonie in post. A loss to Italy could be the End Of Days. Going to Dublin on the back of three successive defeats is not a position we want to be in.

But....if he picks his strongest XV then fringe players have less time to gain experience and Toonie has less time to see how they cope under pressure.

Here's my XV
Front Row; Toonie should know everything he neds to about Shoey, Ragnar, Kebble, Nel, Sutherland, Turner, Rambo and Brown. So, who's left?
1. Dell/Bhatti (Sebastian if Bhatti is out)
2. Ashman/Cherry
3. Berghan and here's the thing; if Ragnar and Nel are out who is our fourth choice? Darcy Rae?
Second Row; same here, Gray, Cummings, GG, Skinner
4. Hodgson
5. McDonald/Sykes
Back row; we know it's probably Hamish-Fagerson- Mbawza
6. Haining/Christie
7. Darge
8. Bradbury
Half backs Dancer and Aldi need a rest. Probably in Hereford with the SAS for Dancer.
9. White/ Dobie/Steel?
10. Not Blarehorn, he isn't a 10 and if he runs riot against Italy we're stuck with him. Pick any two 10's who are on the fringes of the squad and see what they'll do. Thomson for me. Plus?
Centres
Jones, Bennett, Steyn, possibly give Tuipulotu another chance. Pick any two.
Back three
rest VDM, Hogg and ADHD, we know they're in the World Cup squad.
11. Ollie Smith
14. Titman
15. Blarehorn.
We can revert to our recognised best XV for Ireland and maybe one or two people might be better for the rest.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:59 pm

jimbopip wrote:He didn't go nearly far enough!
So mad
It would seem that Toonie has two options: play his strongest starting XV against Italy and then the same against Ireland, or "rest" some of our nailed on starters and look at other possible combinations.
This is trickier than it sounds. Three wins is not a bad tournament for us. Two wins is just about enough to keep Toonie in post. A loss to Italy could be the End Of Days. Going to Dublin on the back of three successive defeats is not a position we want to be in.

But....if he picks his strongest XV then fringe players have less time to gain experience and Toonie has less time to see how they cope under pressure.

Here's my XV
Front Row; Toonie should know everything he neds to about Shoey, Ragnar, Kebble, Nel, Sutherland, Turner, Rambo and Brown. So, who's left?
2. Ashman/Cherry
3. Berghan and here's the thing; if Ragnar and Nel are out who is our fourth choice? Darcy Rae?
4. Hodgson
5. McDonald/Sykes
6. Haining/Christie
7. Darge
8. Bradbury
Half backs Dancer and Aldi need a rest. Probably in Hereford with the SAS for Dancer.
9. White/ Dobie/Steel?
10. Not Blarehorn, he isn't a 10 and if he runs riot against Italy we're stuck with him. Pick any two 10's who are on the fringes of the squad and see what they'll do. Thomson for me. Plus?
Centres
Back three
11. Ollie Smith
14. Titman
15. Blarehorn.
We can revert to our recognised best XV for Ireland and maybe one or two people might be better for the rest.

Wait, did you not post the exact same thing 2 days ago...?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:27 pm

RDW wrote:
So mad

Here's my XV
2. Ashman/Cherry
4. Hodgson
5. McDonald/Sykes
6. Haining/Christie
7. Darge
8. Bradbury
9. White/ Dobie/Steel?
Centres
Back three
11. Ollie Smith
14. Titman
15. Blarehorn.

Senility seems to be setting in.

Jimbo is after all, really really old.

I do think that if the team jimbo has gone with, many who aren’t even in the squad, is rolled out vs Italy then we really would be at risk of losing to them.

I’m still a believer that 6ns should be about tweaking at the very most the team with a view to the World Cup. The summer tours are where you try out totally raw players and AIs are for trying out different parings/units. Wholesale changes at this time would be very counter productive
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:01 am

I'm with you on that tattie. I'm pretty confident we'll be putting out a full strength team, potentially with a few tweaks - and rightly so.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:29 pm

I think we need changes. If this is our full strength, based off of the current performances we should be on the fringe of the top 10 let alone in it.

Bring Hastings in to the squad. Hopefully he's been kept in the loop for tactics etc as toonie did name check him when he initially announced squad.

Bennett starts for me, Tuipolotu inside. Darcy keeps his place on the wing, VDM swapped for steyn. Much better all around game and noticed vdm has vissers big lad crap defender syndrome. Yes we lose some bulk but I don't think steyn's any less astute an attacker.

Forwards no obvious changes except in the front row, however I don't think they did too badly against France. Ritchie will have to wrestle his shirt off of Darge or Watson when he's fit again. In fact I'd say there's a good argument for having Darge and Ritchie come the WC as Watson's form isn't as good right now.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:16 pm

Watson is still immense. He had the most tackles vs England/wales and still not a single one missed.

He’s carrying well. Still making turnovers.

Ritchie is a really good player for us but it’s starting to look like Darge and watson on the flanks with Ritchie on the bench to come on for whoever empties the tank first. This is such a great place to be though for Scotland.

Now, if only we had a good tight head, number 8 and consistent 9 and 10
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:19 pm

I think we underrate Ritchie and the issues with balance in the backrow. Having two out and out 7's start will likely cost us at the line-out. Ritchie is turning into an excellent BS and is a great player to pair with either of Darge and Watson. I am worried that Darge and Watson in combination cannibalises their talents.

Gilchrist and Gray is a great example of skill overlap as both tackle themselves into the ground and try to do the same things. You need a contrast who can carry such as Skinner or Cummings to get the most out of them.

Watson is 30 and at a highly attritional position. Having Darge to rotate in is a great way of extending his Scotland career to 2025/2027.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:41 pm

tigertattie wrote:
RDW wrote:
So mad

Here's my XV
2. Ashman/Cherry
4. Hodgson
5. McDonald/Sykes
6. Haining/Christie
7. Darge
8. Bradbury
9. White/ Dobie/Steel?
Centres
Back three
11. Ollie Smith
14. Titman
15. Blarehorn.

Senility seems to be setting in.

Jimbo is after all, really really old.

Well tigertattie, as Samuel Beckett said, "If only age had wisdom." Shocked

As I see it Toonie has a few fairly serious problems.
Firstly, beating Italy and losing in Dublin is the most likely endgame to this campaign. Two wins out of five is not acceptable; especially if two of those defeats were to a large extent self inflicted. In that scenario a victory in Rome won't count for much. Actually, Rome really is a lose-lose place to go. If we win by 50 points it's meaningless because it's Italy, if we win by 2 points it's embarrassing because it's Italy. If we lose....it's the end of the world. So one way or another Toonie is in for a slating after the Italy game.
Secondly, we lost to Wales largely because we were rank. Stinking. Rotten. There is an old truism, "As long as we don't lose, they can't win." Scotland lost that match through poor play rather than wales winning it. To follow that up with conceding six tries at home is unforgiveable.
Thirdly, in the early part of the France match our gameplan was working, albeit France scored two tries. The Dupont inspired first try was one of those things; like Maradonna against England in 86 there was nothing to do but applaud it and get on with the game. At 12-3 we were very much in the game but Dancer decided to rip up the game plan and stop kicking the ball and instead run everything. It worked once at Twickers so why not?

I've noticed a few people on here bemoaning the lack of Stern Vern as head coach: if Vern sent a team out to play to a plan and they ditched it after 15 minutes because they were 9 points adrift how would he have reacted? If Vern sent a team out and they played as poorly as Scotland did in Cardiff how many of them would be playing the following match?

I think Toonie needs to remind the players that he's in charge and no-one is undroppable. If the 23 who played against Wales are the nucleus of our squad in the World Cup....you can finish that sentence yourself.
We may well lose against Italy, but there's losing and there's losing. Let's make some changes and rattle a few ego's. Scottish egos.
I started with a Beckett quote so I'll end with one

"Ever tried? Ever failed? Try harder. Fail better."

jimbopip

George Carlin and NeilyBroon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:56 am

https://www.theoffsideline.com/mike-blair-backs-blair-kinghorn-to-become-a-world-class-stand-off/

Blair speaking incredibly highly of Kinghorn!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:37 am

Well that's it settled then, he is the new Messiah. All he needs is Stafford McDowell to play both outside and inside him while he swaps from 10 to 13.

Who needs players who have been starting as fly half for the last 4 years when you have a fullback who played there at u18 7 years ago.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:42 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:Well that's it settled then, he is the new Messiah. All he needs is Stafford McDowell to play both outside and inside him while he swaps from 10 to 13.

Who needs players who have been starting as fly half for the last 4 years when you have a fullback who played there at u18 7 years ago.

Very Happy I love that, Neily. V funny.

Does anyone think that Toonie and Blair have maybe been smoking something that's a bit recreational and  mind expanding.
They seem a bit removed from reality ?

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:18 pm

Well they can’t turn round and say “actually, Blair is a bit knickers. We’d bin him if there was anyone else, but there isn’t because rugby depth is Scotland runs as deep as the empathy of putin”

It would demoralise the players and likely get the coaches the sack
tigertattie
tigertattie

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:27 pm

tigertattie wrote:Well they can’t turn round and say “actually, Blair is a bit knickers. We’d bin him if there was anyone else, but there isn’t because rugby depth is Scotland runs as deep as the empathy of putin”

It would demoralise the players and likely get the coaches the sack

There's that and there's saying he could be world class!

RDW
Founder
Founder

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:33 pm

That's Huw Jones managing to get a run of games these days - I think he's started 4 in a row now. Scoring the odd try too!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:40 pm

Duncan Taylor back on a Sarries team sheet too. At 32 and with his injury toll further Scotland caps might have passed him by but it made me smile to see him back in their 23 for the weekend. He's a quality player when fit but has had no luck.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:22 am

Nick Haining rules out of the next of the 6 Nations.

Watson and Darge is on!

Or if Fagerson is back fit he could play 6.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:05 am

Muncaster had an incredible game against Connacht. Toombola might at least call him up to the senior squad for experience.

Haining was pretty meh against France anyway. I expect that it was always going to change to Darge-Watson with Fagerson back if fit. It seems likely that Skinner will cover back and second row from the bench or Christie will cover (but I think he got a knock too?). It's a shame Dempsey doesn't quite qualify yet!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:29 am

Oh and Bradbury I guess will cover. He's been that anonymous on the pitch I forgot he was in the squad!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:05 am

Actually, Mike Blair has been saying that if Blarehorn doesn't make the World Cup as the new Sonny Boy McWilliams at 13 then he could be an outstanding 8, he has world beating height apparently.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:09 am

Blairhorn to lock. Lineouts would be a breeze. The props could throw him in the air to catch the ball. Like Ritchie Gray but without the weight.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:02 pm

Maitland scored a cracking try Sarries v Leicester.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:31 pm

VDM was sent off for a forearm to the face of Kyle Rowe so I'm guessing he'll miss the Italy game.

Worcester haven't done so well out of their expensive Scottish imports!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:42 pm

RDW wrote:VDM was sent off for a forearm to the face of Kyle Rowe so I'm guessing he'll miss the Italy game.

Good opportunity for Steyn, so Toonie will move Finn to wing and king blairhorn will take fly half, 13 and tighthead.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:46 pm

I've seen the incident and it was a bit of a harsh red - it was a handoff which ended up being more of a leading forearm type thing. Wouldn't even have been an incident if Rowe hadn't tackled so upright.

It wouldn't be too big a disaster to see another winger involved though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:57 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
RDW wrote:VDM was sent off for a forearm to the face of Kyle Rowe so I'm guessing he'll miss the Italy game.

Good opportunity for Steyn, so Toonie will move Finn to wing and king blairhorn will take fly half, 13 and tighthead.

Steyn did not have much of a a game today in all honesty, I would think that wing spot is quite open. It will be interesting to see what the squad updates are when it is announced.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:52 am

Also just noticed Finn didn't play for Racing this weekend, which is strange as he usually comes straight back in on international off weeks.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:35 am

Maybe the SRU negotiated a rest week? Tbh I'm not sure how it works. It could of course be down to his form that he's not been picked. If he's not setting the heather alight for Scotland he probably won't do much better for Racing.

I hope that toonie calls up Hastings, there's a difference with filling in well at FH against a woeful Connacht versus playing well against international opposition. Hastings has played a whole 6Ns tournament starting, pretty much.

Maybe now's the time to parachute Maitland in if Steyn is off the boil although I could imagine steyn stepping up. Rufus McClean hasn't really had as much impact this season either from what I've watched.

Maybe something like:
1. Schoemann
2. Turner
3. Nel
4. Skinner
5. Gilchrist
6. Darge
7. Watson
8. Fagerson?

9. White
10. Hastings

11. Graham
12. Tuipolotu
13. Bennett
14. Steyn/Maitland
15. Hogg (c)

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:03 am

Watched the Duhan incident again and I've changed my mind - that's a definite red. Yes Rowe came into the tackle upright but Duhan saw him coming and thrust his hand into his face. He definitely could have avoided the incident himself.

I suspect the card will be upheld.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:52 am

What’s the rules these days? Is it an auto suspension for a red card? It was a very tame red card but again the system is to penalise the action, not the outcome.

Duhan should not have put his forearm into kyle’s face. Erse!

Steyn is surely the best wing? Unless blairhorn is deployed to wing and Hastings or weir are called into 10 cover???
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:10 pm

Weir?

Did you see the Glasgow game last night, he was very poor. I would rather have Blairhorn.

If Duhan is out, i would go Steyn or Rowe, Mclean is injured as well i think

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:34 pm

No-one in a Glasgow shirt did themselves any favours last night.If the whispers about Scotstoun being awash in vomit all week vomit are true then no-one from the dear Green Place should be going into the Scotland camp for a few days.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:35 pm

Meatball had the lurgy last night maybe. Who knows.

Scotland currently employ kicking 2.0 in our strategy (except when Finn kicks a few early howlers and then abandons the plan) meatball has a perfectly good kicking game to slot into this vs Italy.

He’s not the future at all but he’ll do as a bench spot until Hastings gets back into favour
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:31 pm

You do wonder if Toonie will receive a sympathetic hearing when he calls NoMaits and Haircut, and possibly one or two others.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:52 pm

Haircut has to at least be political. Maitland would be within his rights to say “f off, I’m happy playing for my club and spending time with my family, sod holding tackle bags for the slight chance of a run out with Scotland”

Maitland has served us well. He would still do an perfectly adequate job for us, he’s still our best defensive winger. Would he want to swallow his well earned pride for a handful more Scotland caps?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:13 pm

Looks like no Matt Fagerson for next weekend either, still not over his injury.

We are certainly testing our depth now!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:59 pm

Wel that’s Bradbury up to speed now so a big game is required from him vs Italy.

If Bradbury can’t take his club form into international games he runs the risk of forever being branded a club man and could be looking at international wilderness.

We desperately need to unearth an international 8. A big ball carrying monster. Time is running out for Bradbury. Doesn’t bayliss play a bit of 8? I know he’s a very good 6 for bath but could he be an option?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:05 pm

I was at the bath game on Saturday and he made a few good runs and was on the pitch for the whole game, probably one of the least poopie bath players. He has played 8 before I think, he's certainly a very physical presence. Darge has actually played 8 but I prefer him at the flanks. I expect we're looking at Haining/Bradbury for Italy.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:15 pm

Hainning is already crocked. I fancy Bayliss might get his chance, Bradbury again has been dissapointing

I have not seen the game yet, but Christie apparently played well for Sarries against Tigers. He might be the bench option again

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:49 pm

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:37 pm

Looks like there is another reason why we have not seen Glove around these parts recently

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1501571907296104456?s=20&t=fwplALPNF0QVm12y0VTULA

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by takethelongroad Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:35 am

Interesting Rassie-eque interrogation of the refereeing of the france and wales games - 10mins longish. I am trying to persuade myself that if a french or welsh person made one to show the opposite perspective the video would demonstrate how scotland had all of the luck at the whistle. But it’s pretty compelling that we don’t. I know it’s not the done thing to say the officials decisions don’t change the match outcomes. It’s just that of course they do and we have been burned by that candle a few times of late. Not to say that FR and Hogg haven’t been honking this tournament but getting a large amount of possession reffed away would hamper any teams momentum. I remember a stat that showed scotland get penalised in attack more than any other team by quite some margin - not convinced yet that anything other than perceptions of relative strengths of the teams is what this comes down to. Sadly these things then have a way of perpetuating themselves as Jimbo pointed out before. The metrics for the france game had scotland superior on everything bar the scoreline and penalties conceded while attacking https://twitter.com/rosscohamilton/status/1498269264087822339?s=21

Any way rant over here is the link: https://youtu.be/ryCV-04_cUw

takethelongroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:51 am

I think the summer tour has to be used to increase our player pool as its likely the guys from 6N (or the majority of players) will be rested.

Before the autumn I was really keen to see Cammy Henderson but now I'm not bothered about him, I'm keen to see Roebuck and Reed though (if they can be persuaded or nail their mast to us) Smile.

There are many more lol but I don't want to clog up the thread with these, months before the tests 😁

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:53 am

Highland Shaun wrote:I think the summer tour has to be used to increase our player pool as its likely the guys from 6N (or the majority of players) will be rested.

Before the autumn I was really keen to see Cammy Henderson but now I'm not bothered about him, I'm keen to see Roebuck and Reed though (if they can be persuaded or nail their mast to us) Smile.

There are many more lol but I don't want to clog up the thread with these, months before the tests 😁

Sounds painful!

But agree we do need to change it all up a bit. If muncaster continues his form I'd like to see him involved in the summer. Ollie Smith and Ross Thompson should get the nod, with maybe Ritchie or one of the forwards captaining imo.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:02 am

A very good find Mr Road. OK
There does seem to be an unspoken law, which no-one ever speaks about, that the benefit of the doubt goes to the attacking side or the dominant side. This can all too easily become a self-fulfilling prophecy where a couple of early decisions favour one side and they help create attacking momentum. Attacking momentum forces the other side to defend more. In all sport defending (and losing) teams concede more penalties than attacking teams. So if we look at the upcoming game in Dublin; statistically Ireland win more often than they lose, Ireland concede (I am guessing ) 6-8 penalties at home, Scotland lose more often than not in Dublin, Scotland have been conceding 11-13 penalties a game this 6 Nations. The referee will be aware of this and will doubtless be doing his homework on what to watch out for from both sides. If he expects one team to concede a lot of penalties at one particular facet of the game then he will probably penalise that team more frequently at that part of the game. i.e. Scotland have a much weaker scrum than Ireland and concede 5 scrum penalties per game whereas Ireland concede 1 penalty per game ( I am making these figures up) so if the first scrum is an Ireland put in and it collapses then it's penalty to Ireland and the confirmation bias has set in.

Obviously this is not me getting my excuses in early. Scotland made a lot of mistakes in the France game but the referee was very poor. Was he the deciding factor? Probably not. But then again....

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next