The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

+28
formerly known as Sam
Mcsweens
Intotouch
doctor_grey
sensisball
Margin_Walker
EST
Oakdene
IanBru
EWT Spoons
Tramptastic
bsando
Unclear
demosthenes
funnyExiledScot
Old Man
Highland Shaun
TJ
TheMildlyFranticLlama
tigertattie
Anglobraveheart
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
RiscaGame
NeilyBroon
RDW
BigGee
32 posters

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on! - Page 5 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

Post by BigGee Wed 06 Apr 2022, 12:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

28 and counting, where do we get the energy!

Another Glasgow re-signing coming up this afternoon, following on from the White Rhino, the animal theme is hinted at again. Who could that be?

Ancient history:

https://www.606v2.com/t70348p1000-glasgow-and-edinburgh-unceasing-banter-thread-27#4033843

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on! - Page 5 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

Post by bsando Fri 20 May 2022, 12:48 pm

Both sides look good! This is basically the final audition for the summer tour. Wonder who will shine?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on! - Page 5 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

Post by BigGee Fri 20 May 2022, 1:55 pm

Good to see Mclean back, hopefully he can make a statement for a summer tour spot

Cameron Henderson also back in the Leicester squad this weekend as well, so he could be there as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 20 May 2022, 7:17 pm

Both fielding strong teams, Ryan Wilson aside, and should be a cracker.

I'm meeting Jimbo for the first time before the game. Wish me luck....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 20 May 2022, 7:29 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm meeting Jimbo for the first time before the game. Wish me luck....

This is where the real entertainment is going to be tomorrow!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

funnyExiledScot and George Carlin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 20 May 2022, 11:05 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I'm meeting Jimbo for the first time before the game. Wish me luck....

I can't wait to hear about this!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 21 May 2022, 12:26 am

RDW wrote:
TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:

I can't wait to hear about this!

It’ll be like a scene out of Blackadder between blackadder and Prince George

The bar staff won’ know what to do. Call the nursing home or the giro centre!

Hopefully FES brings his footman along to keep order.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 21 May 2022, 11:33 am

I'll have Bru with me and he'll have a cunning plan.I will also have a head full of dreams and an empty wallet.
So what's new?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat 21 May 2022, 11:35 am

jimbopip wrote:I'll have Bru with me and he'll have a cunning plan.I will also have a head full of dreams and an empty wallet.
So what's new?

The extent to which my plan is cunning, or merely symptomatic of undeserving white male confidence, remains to be seen.
IanBru
IanBru

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 21 May 2022, 11:42 am

IanBru wrote:
jimbopip wrote:I'll have Bru with me and he'll have a cunning plan.I will also have a head full of dreams and an empty wallet.
So what's new?

The extent to which my plan is cunning, or merely symptomatic of undeserving white male confidence, remains to be seen.

Don't knock undeserving white male confidence. That's basically my game plan.

funnyExiledScot

IanBru likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 21 May 2022, 11:45 am

So what's new?

Empty wallet? Oh I see, the cunning plan of arranging to meet me for pre-match drinks becomes clear....

funnyExiledScot

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 21 May 2022, 12:26 pm

IanBru wrote:
So what's new?

Bru! Good to hear from you.

All the best for later on - you're definitely getting plenty brownie points for caring for the elderly. It's nice you're giving them an airing!

RDW
Founder
Founder

IanBru and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 21 May 2022, 6:46 pm

Very tit for tat game so far. Who is going to get the critical breakthrough first?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 21 May 2022, 6:54 pm

Typical derby game so far, nothing in it.

Hopefully will open up as game goes on.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 21 May 2022, 7:15 pm

Ryan Wilson giving away stupid penalties

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 21 May 2022, 7:37 pm

Good game so far, getting better now that Edinburgh have opened up a lead, obviously Very Happy

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 21 May 2022, 7:38 pm

WP is having a great game, showing all the skills!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 21 May 2022, 7:51 pm

YC for Rob Harley

Can't say it was not coming

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 21 May 2022, 7:52 pm

Ryan Wilson is a buffoon. Simple as. Told to speak to his team, didn’t, they give away another penalty and bye bye Harley.

Fishing away listen to to the game and it just sounds like Glasgow are playing with a lack of leadership. Peter Wright being hilarious and I’ve already landed a 13lb salmon. Happy days
tigertattie
tigertattie

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 21 May 2022, 7:59 pm

Mark Bennett is the form centre in Scotland, tell me I’m wrong!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 21 May 2022, 7:59 pm

See, even I’m feeling sorry for the decent Glasgow fans like jimbo, Gee and Bru

Great to see Edinburgh in full flight though.

It’s coming home
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 21 May 2022, 8:02 pm

Glasgow score to keep it interesting, lovely finish to be fair

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 21 May 2022, 8:10 pm

Just when I thought Glasgow were already in the changing room, Ollie Smith plucks a try out of the skies!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 21 May 2022, 8:17 pm

Bradbury PoM, there was strong competition for that, Nel, Bennett, Gilchrist all up there among others

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 21 May 2022, 8:29 pm

Well done Edinburgh

Hard to argue with the result or its implications for Glasgow. We never looked liked winning that game and you guys never looked like losing it.

We need a serious re-think in the closed season, something not right with the Warriors.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

TheMildlyFranticLlama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 21 May 2022, 8:35 pm

Hard lines Glasgow, really wasn’t your night tonight. Hope jimbo and bru enjoyed the game and the contents of fes’ wallet!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 21 May 2022, 10:27 pm

I think that win is a fair reflection of the current state of each club. Edinburgh have found their swagger and are a club on the rise - will be time to test that swagger in the Champions Cup.

Glasgow on the other hand have stagnated and need a rebuild - being in the Challenge Cup will help in that regard.

Not ideal that Edinburgh have to go to South Africa again but we have a 2 week break, and I actually think our chances of winning are higher than having to play Leinster, Ulster or Munster away!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 21 May 2022, 10:36 pm

RDW wrote:I think that win is a fair reflection of the current state of each club. Edinburgh have found their swagger and are a club on the rise - will be time to test that swagger in the Champions Cup.

Glasgow on the other hand have stagnated and need a rebuild - being in the Challenge Cup will help in that regard.

Not ideal that Edinburgh have to go to South Africa again but we have a 2 week break, and I actually think our chances of winning are higher than having to play Leinster, Ulster or Munster away!

Hard to argue with any of that!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 22 May 2022, 1:24 am

Just watched the game. Don't think Glasgow were as bad as has been made out - they were just flat and terrible discipline. For all this talk about niggle and been a pain in the arse, Harley and Wilson don't half give a lot of penalties away.

First half there wasn't much between the teams and was a typical cagey, poor quality 1872 affair. 2nd half opened up a bit and Edinburgh had the finishing power and ability that Glasgow were lacking. Discipline and Edinburgh's ability to convert opportunities was the main difference.

Big performances from the entire Edinburgh pack, mainly Gilchrist and Bradbury. Bradbury will be a big loss - we've got plenty options at 8 still, and Muncaster is coming through, but at his best he's am absolute wrecking ball.

Shout-out to Chris Dean in the backs - earlier in the season he was a bit-part player who looked at risk of being let go or farmed out to the 7s. Instead he's become probably the form 12 in Scotland in the last few months and would be deserving of a Scotland callup. His all-round game is excellent - he's a classy runner, great distribution and has a kicking game too, solid in defence. At the highest level he's perhaps a bit lightweight but I'd like to see him tour this summer.

As for Glasgow, well not really much in terms of standouts. Price had some good kicks and Dempsey carried well but also looks a bit knackered having doubled up an Aussie season with a Scottish one. Miotti had a good cameo and was probably more influential than Thomson albeit while chasing the game  - why has he been so sparsely used this season?

Edinburgh well deserving winners!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 May 2022, 6:57 am

Yes, the Miotti thing is indeed odd.

Thompson has looked out of his depth in the big games and Weir just out of form and yet we gave persisted with both of them all season.

Question marks of DW as a coach are certainly going to predist if he keeps making odd calls like that!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 22 May 2022, 8:53 am

Biggest question mark over DW for me is his after game comment.

“We looked to play with speed as we knew that worked against them in the last game”

Doesn’t he know that it was almost an entirely different team they were against with the March game basically being a reserved match due to the stupidity of playing it on an international weekend
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sun 22 May 2022, 8:59 am

The Ryan Wilson hard man act must get really tiresome for his teammates when it’s stupid penalties that are stopping them getting momentum in matches like this. Imagine if you’d been able to pick a rugby player at 6 yesterday instead of that guy in the corner of the pub trying to start fights with shadows!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 22 May 2022, 9:13 am

Yes the Wilson & Harley sideshow certainly ran out of steam yesterday

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 22 May 2022, 11:41 am

When's the last time anyone watched the 7s btw? I've been watching the odd game this season. It's mad how much the game has moved on. It's basically 7 wingers in the teams now - the pace the game is played at is frightening. The game has very much moved to the extreme of favouring pace and skill over size.

Gone are the days of throwing an athletic forward in there. They'll be too slow!

Scotland 7s frustratingly inconsistent but put in the odd good performance.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 22 May 2022, 3:45 pm

Not for a while but i see Scotland men/Women both beat SA which is not too shabby! Some of the 7's reels on instagram are incredible. It has evolved as you say. The try's are getting more and more insane as well.

Glasgow looked a lot like Scotland in the 6N at times during that match. Flat attack and easy to defend. Thompson didn't offer as much as he could have and you know when you're seeing opportunities on the TV and the fly half is just going through the motions that they're missing a trick.

Will Wilson be kept on? I like his signings for Glasgow so far but tactically I think he is not quite getting the best out of this squad. Saying that Harley, Wilson and a few others are not exactly spring chickens. Having Du Preez, Jones and Sione Vailanu will be a big boost next season and hopefully they can uncover some rough diamonds from the academy signings.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 23 May 2022, 4:30 am

Yeah there were some funny scores - our women beat England women too which was a huge shock although I don't know what kind of squad England sent to the tournament. Normally England women absolutely destroy everyone.

I think the SA men's team was more like a development squad. Some other teams also didn't turn up to the tournament. As I mentioned the increase in standard even over the last 2 years is insane. Our current team would probably have won Gold at 2016 Olympics if they were to travel back in time, but now struggle to finish 10th.

Never mind this 7s chat - how did FES's date with Jimbo go??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 23 May 2022, 10:10 am

Look, it was only a first date but I definitely think there was chemistry. The time just melted away....and then he left with Bru to share a double bed in a seedy motel. My heart was broken. Story of my life.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon 23 May 2022, 10:12 am

Is it just this year that there is protection for the 4 shield winners getting entry into the Champions cup?

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 23 May 2022, 10:13 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Look, it was only a first date but I definitely think there was chemistry. The time just melted away....and then he left with Bru to share a double bed in a seedy motel. My heart was broken. Story of my life.

I trust they took the defeat well?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 23 May 2022, 10:14 am

Oakdene wrote:Is it just this year that there is protection for the 4 shield winners getting entry into the Champions cup?

I read on another thread it'll run another year but will then need all unions to vote to keep it.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Oakdene likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 23 May 2022, 10:14 am

In all truth, a cracking time was had by all. It was enhanced by the fact that Edinburgh restored the natural order of Scottish Rugby. I thought Glasgow were flat as a pancake, particularly in the second half, and we're badly let down by their senior players, Wilson, Harley and Price. Edinburgh just had a bit extra and I thought that Bradbury was fortunate to be MOTM ahead of Gilchrist and Graham. I thought the centres also looked very good, and I agree that Chris Dean is playing really well at the moment, justifiably keeping Lang on the bench. Tough game ahead at the Stormers, but I'm delighted we don't have to play Leinster.

funnyExiledScot

RDW likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 23 May 2022, 10:16 am

RDW wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Look, it was only a first date but I definitely think there was chemistry. The time just melted away....and then he left with Bru to share a double bed in a seedy motel. My heart was broken. Story of my life.

I trust they took the defeat well?

They did, although I think deep down that they expected it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 23 May 2022, 11:08 am

You know the comment that Ernest Hemingway's hard-bitten overtly macho muscular prose could only have been written by a virginal maiden aunt living in Bognor Regis?
Well, Bru and I were enjoying our pre match pints and wondering which bottle from the wine list FES  would insist on ordering when a shambling, hunched wreck of a man in an army surplus overcoat (circa 1914) approached our table. " Lads! Can you spare me the price of a pint? I'm meeting two Glasgow fans here and they'll expect me to put my hand in my pocket at some point."
When we introduced ourselves he decided on Plan B. Out from under the besmeared and stained greatcoat came a wooden collection plate stamped Property Of St Mungo's. DO NOT REMOVE"
He then instructed Bru to, " Put on yer best lean and hungry look, haud this in front of you and follow me." Bursting into a heartfelt rendition of "Nobody's Child", which made up in volume what it lacked in tunefuleness, he staggered from table to table.
After we were barred from that pub the day went downhill slowly. We ended the evening in a the very small snug of a Murrayfield boozer. Us, a dozen Hearts fans drowning their sorrows and cursing everything Glaswegian, and the Morningside cricket XI. My personal highlight was just before closing time when a very large and very drunk Edinburger decided the quickest way to the door was through me and then decided to share his opinion of my Warriors jersey. Oh the fun we had.
After we left one of Fes's newly found friends decided we should all go to his place for a drink. We were almost there when he uttered the immortal words, "Don't worry my wife won't mind at all..."
The rest is a blur of pointing, shouting, recriminations and the inside of  a police van.
It was a grand night. Fes is great company, he even sold me The Big Issue at the Friends and Family discount.

jimbopip

funnyExiledScot and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 23 May 2022, 12:13 pm

I feel that's a 'you had to be there' type of story Jimbo! Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 23 May 2022, 9:05 pm

What actually happened was no one actually got a drink in

FES “I’ll pay”
Jimbo “no I’ll pay”
Bru “I’ll get it lads”
FES “no really, I’ll pay”
jimbo “nonsense I’ll get this round”
Bru “no really, my wife gave me pocket money”
FES “you’re my guests, I’ll get this”
………
…………
……………

4 hours later the bar closed without a drink being purchased but polite manners were observed to the highest order.
tigertattie
tigertattie

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 24 May 2022, 11:36 am

Morning peeps, I've just finished watching the match.
Edinburgh deserved the win .
Glasgow weren't as bad as we were saying.
The main point for me was Glasgow players running into contact without any support. This means the defence don't have to worry about offloads. It also increases the likelihood of being turned over; look at the number of penalties conceded. Finally, it leads to slow ball.
Glasgow seemed committed to keeping lots of players in the back line but that just seemed to congest play and allow Edinburgh to flood the 13 channel and starve our back three of possession. This can be remedied quite easily.
Finally, Cummings, Fagerson and Darge will improve that pack. Then factor in De Preez and Vailanu. It's not all doom and gloom.
Well done Luvvies.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 25 May 2022, 12:20 pm

Sintu Manjezi, lock/6, signs for the rugby club from Cheetahs.
So, Fagerson-Dempsey-Darge as starting back row with Mullet, Batman, Brown, Miller, Vailanu, Manjessie as back ups. I think Batman's opportunities for conceding daft penalties may be numbered.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 25 May 2022, 12:41 pm

He looks an absolute physical specimen and comes highly regarded from Currie Cup level, but also not got a good injury history and is coming back from a long-term knee injury apparently. Probably won't have broken the bank to sign him so worth the punt, particularly with Harley moving on.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 25 May 2022, 10:22 pm

Signing a talent with an injury record worked with Dempsey. It's a smart play for teams with our budgets. With that line up, it's clearly time for Wilson to retire. I'd forgotten about Ally Miller as well. He's pretty useful.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 25 May 2022, 11:52 pm

Will the “niggle giver” go or will he need pushed?

God help Glasgow (and Scotland) if he hangs on in a coaching capacity.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 25 May 2022, 11:58 pm

He is a main man in terms of the culture as a club so another season involved will probably be likely, but he is far from being a starter now.

He may be kept as club captain but they need a new permanent captain. Same with Fraser Brown.

Ali Price the obvious choice as he's been vice captain a lot, and is a guaranteed starter.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next