The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

+28
formerly known as Sam
Mcsweens
Intotouch
doctor_grey
sensisball
Margin_Walker
EST
Oakdene
IanBru
EWT Spoons
Tramptastic
bsando
Unclear
demosthenes
funnyExiledScot
Old Man
Highland Shaun
TJ
TheMildlyFranticLlama
tigertattie
Anglobraveheart
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
RiscaGame
NeilyBroon
RDW
BigGee
32 posters

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on! - Page 7 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

Post by BigGee Wed 06 Apr 2022, 12:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

28 and counting, where do we get the energy!

Another Glasgow re-signing coming up this afternoon, following on from the White Rhino, the animal theme is hinted at again. Who could that be?

Ancient history:

https://www.606v2.com/t70348p1000-glasgow-and-edinburgh-unceasing-banter-thread-27#4033843

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on! - Page 7 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

Post by BigGee Sat 04 Jun 2022, 5:07 pm

Getting harder and harder to defend Wilson and I have been trying.

Something is definitely not right and you really have to look at the coaches. Leinster are a better side than us, but not thst much better.

We even beat them last season!

I would not be surprised if DW walks after that performance.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on! - Page 7 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 04 Jun 2022, 5:12 pm

jimbopip wrote:The only question is who gets his P45 first Danny Wilson or Boris?

I don't think the fault is squarely on DW. Although I am not convinced by him.
The long term damage of Rennie is still with us, some of the players have not been good enough, and I think that there are .more deep rooted issues, as our National side has been out of kilter in a similar way (although, not as disastrously as Glashow today).
The whole mentality just doesn't seem right. Lots of different areas to look at. Our away form has been dreadful. Body language says it all.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 04 Jun 2022, 5:13 pm

Shameful. Absolutely shameful

Whoever in the Leinster side who didn’t score should be ashamed of themselves

Let’s hope the proper rugby team in Scotland manage to fair better. They say misery loves company but I really don’t want to be wallowing in the pit of misery with the unwashed ones
tigertattie
tigertattie

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 04 Jun 2022, 5:17 pm

tigertattie wrote:Shameful. Absolutely shameful

Whoever in the Leinster side who didn’t score should be ashamed of themselves  

Very funny 😄  clap clap clap

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Sat 04 Jun 2022, 5:21 pm

Laughably there was an ad at half time for Warriors season tickets! You would have to be off your rocker to decide to watch the Weege after that embarrassment. Any bets Danny boy talks about poor discipline and compounding their mistakes in his post match.
It must be a decade since Glasgow were this bad. A tragic way for the great ginger tackle machine to end 12 seasons in a Glasgow shirt.
Appalling on almost every level

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 04 Jun 2022, 5:23 pm

I reckon that's it for DW. I think a mixture of things have lead to this but he's going to be the fall guy. Glasgow looking like a project side again, which is a massive shame given the great work done before by Sean Lineen and (dare I admit it) Toonie and their respective supporting coaches. The SRU has to act now.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 04 Jun 2022, 5:25 pm

Well until the 60thminute I thought this could go to extra time Shocked

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 04 Jun 2022, 5:29 pm

Have you been on the sauce Old Man?

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 04 Jun 2022, 5:39 pm

There was supposed to be a wink after the comment, I suppose the site didn't think it was funny

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 04 Jun 2022, 5:47 pm

On a positive note, we can only get better from here.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 04 Jun 2022, 6:05 pm

Is one of the biggest issues for Glasgow their fitness? They really struggle in the second half and when the hour mark comes They really do fall away. Sometimes they have a late flurry but I don’t think they get a second wind, rather the other teams starts to coast to the finish.

Few more laps around Troon beach over the summer is required I think
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 04 Jun 2022, 7:49 pm

Ah well. Budge up weegies. We’ll sit beside you for a wee while.

You’re buying though
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 04 Jun 2022, 8:01 pm

Much better performance from Edinburgh but ultimately the same outcome! Congrats to the Stormers, definitely the better side today, but pleased with how we stayed in the fight until the end even if some of the accuracy went to pot (Atalifo picking and going by himself and blowing our best chance of a comeback picard )

Plenty of growing left in this team, and an easier result to digest than the one the weegies are pondering, I’d wager

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 04 Jun 2022, 8:29 pm

Didn’t watch either game but both seem to have been a fair reflection of each side’s season. The South African sides have really raised the bar in this league now - it has been an excellent challenge for all teams.

Scottish teams have not had a good year, although certain SQ individuals have and look very important to their teams. Time to leave the old guard at home for the summer tour, I think.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 04 Jun 2022, 9:31 pm

As a South zafrican supporter I thought Edenburgh can possibly be a banana peel for the Stormers.

They defied my expectations this season as they have lost a lot of good players this season and with the turmoil and financial challenges they faced I never expected them to even get to a play off spot.

I still don't think they have what it takes to get to the final, historically in Super Rugby they have never won a final and has a rather poor record in play off matches.

I do think the SA teams have exceeded most peoples expectations in their first season of participation in the URC, I think there must have been a good percentage of people doubting whther the SA teams are going to bring value to the URC after those first 5 or so rounds.

Hats off to Edinburgh, they were never really out of that match.

Old Man

Intotouch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 04 Jun 2022, 10:26 pm

That really is sorry reading of the Glasgow score. It's completely embarrassing shipping 70+ points in any game but in a QF that's meant to be the best teams in the league? Utter shambles. Surely a coach killer?

Reading about the Edinburgh game it sounds a repeat of the Wasps and Ulster games - lots of good stuff and had chances better never took them nor ever looked like winning. Definitely been a real positive season for Edinburgh - next season they need to learn how to win these big games!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 04 Jun 2022, 11:13 pm

Urgh the TV coverage of URC is so frustrating. You can't get Premier Sports out here so you have to subscribe to 'URC TV' their official streaming site - it's completely dreadful in terms of usability. It's like the app was developed by a child.

For some reason this weekend you can't watch full replays of the games! Just highlights.

All previous week's they had no highlights, just full game replays!

Compare that to coverage of the AP,  European and international games - you can watch full match, 25 minute mini matches, extended highlights and quick highlights.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 04 Jun 2022, 11:29 pm

RDW wrote:Urgh the TV coverage of URC is so frustrating. You can't get Premier Sports out here so you have to subscribe to 'URC TV' their official streaming site - it's completely dreadful in terms of usability. It's like the app was developed by a child.

For some reason this weekend you can't watch full replays of the games! Just highlights.

Compare that to coverage of the AP,  European and international games - you can watch full match, 25 minute mini matches, extended highlights and quick highlights.
Agree. It seems as if the web site was developed in a rush and some basics were missed.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 04 Jun 2022, 11:38 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
RDW wrote:Urgh the TV coverage of URC is so frustrating. You can't get Premier Sports out here so you have to subscribe to 'URC TV' their official streaming site - it's completely dreadful in terms of usability. It's like the app was developed by a child.

Agree.  It seems as if the web site was developed in a rush and some basics were missed.  

The most frustrating thing is the live streams have no editing, so you have to skip through 10 minutes of 'your stream will begin shortly ' at the start then another 15 minutes of it during HT. And the usability to do that is dreadful particularly if you're casting to TV at the time.

Really does pain me to have to pay for this load of crap, especially when I'm only really interested in watching Edinburgh games and the odd Glasgow one!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Sat 04 Jun 2022, 11:47 pm

Hi. You can watch any match with an Irish team live streamed for free on either “tg4 live” or “rte player live”. And they keep the full match available for viewing later too. RTE player also show a rugby show “against the head” with highlights and analysis of Irish teams games that’s usually pretty good if a bit dry.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sun 05 Jun 2022, 8:09 am

Just dropping in to say Wilson has to leave, and must do so now.

Thanks for listening to my TED Talk.

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 05 Jun 2022, 9:37 am

Sad Sad Sad Sad furious furious furious censored censored Doh Doh

That's all I've got.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 05 Jun 2022, 9:38 am

Have Glasgow had a worse perform in the last 10 years?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 05 Jun 2022, 9:57 am

RDW wrote:Have Glasgow had a worse perform in the last 10 years?

NO!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 05 Jun 2022, 12:28 pm

You need to go back to 1996 to find a comparable skelping.
It was shockingly bad.

jimbopip

George Carlin and NeilyBroon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 06 Jun 2022, 8:59 am

Well, the wheels have well and truly fallen off the bus at Glasgow - seems like the perfect storm of issues are all coming to a head: lack of long term recruitment under Rennie, ageing key players not up to it anymore, nowhere near good enough squad depth, tone deaf comms and strategy from the board and I have to say a complete lack of coaching leadership and discernible style of play.

I have been surprised at the hostility of some of the Glasgow fans to Wilson, who for whatever reason just don't seem to have ever warmed to him - I have generally been on the side that he needs more time to build a squad and get over covid, but perhaps he is just the wrong man at the wrong time, it's tough to see how he can come back from the end of the season we have had.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 06 Jun 2022, 9:00 am

I did laugh when big Ritchie got his yellow card ( lucky not to be a red in my book) but how is a man so tall supposed to tackle a man so short who is crouching? Big Ritchie would have had to be on his hands and knees to get low enough. Still no need to lead with the shoulder tho

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 06 Jun 2022, 3:59 pm

Danny Wilson gone

Sad but almost inevitable after the end of the season and saturday in particular. A lot of Glasgow players have not covered themselves in glory playing for him this season, I hope they have a long look in the mirror tonight as well!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 06 Jun 2022, 4:00 pm

That’s DW away.

Shame but probably needed.

Surely any old timers still on the Glasgow books will finally get dropped/replaced by whoever comes in
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 06 Jun 2022, 4:07 pm

tigertattie wrote:That’s DW away.

Shame but probably needed.

Surely any old timers still on the Glasgow books will finally get dropped/replaced by whoever comes in  

Big RG has played well enough this season and is worthy of another year but in truth I would not be devastated if Ryan Wilson and Fraser Brown were to call it a day now as well. They are really the last remnants of our championship winning team and it is time for the new guys to write their own history.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon 06 Jun 2022, 4:08 pm

Jeezo, wasn't expecting that, thought he would be given one last shot seen as he's spent a while shaping the squad!

this will be a disaster if a new coach comes in and states "this is not the squad i would have built, the next 2 seasons will be awful until i have my signings" followed by 2 years of chasing semi-broken journeymen (the solomons method).

Who to sign as a replacement? Who would want the gig???

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 06 Jun 2022, 4:10 pm

The big question is of course, who will replace him?

Hard to see who would be available in time for the start of next season, unless they have already been sounding someone out, which seeing the way DWs trajectory has been going, could be entirely possible.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 06 Jun 2022, 4:15 pm

One thing about Dodson, he can certainly be ruthless when it is required.

Did the same to Andy Robinson and Cockers when it was needed and they both lost their players as well.

If I had a free choice in the matter, in terms of coaches who might be realistic (I don't think Scott Robertson is in any shape or form) I would be looking at Stuart Lancaster.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon 06 Jun 2022, 4:25 pm

Oooft Stuart Lancaster would be an excellent call but would he be interested?

Are there are scottish coaches plying their trade abroad that would be interested?

From my mind:

Roddy Grant is still at Ulster

thats it i think

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 06 Jun 2022, 4:31 pm

Lancaster is a very, very good coach. It wouldn't be the worst appointment.
Vern Cotter for two years with Furra Linee as his apprentice would be my dream ticket.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 06 Jun 2022, 4:34 pm

Tramptastic wrote:Oooft Stuart Lancaster would be an excellent call but would he be interested?

Are there are scottish coaches plying their trade abroad that would be interested?

From my mind:

Roddy Grant is still at Ulster

thats it i think

I think I agree with moving on from Wilson quickly, although it's never nice to see somebody lose their job in this manner. That being said, this is always the risk in changing coach the year before a WC - there really aren't many options. Lancaster would be a huge coup, he might feel he has nothing left to achieve as the Leinster #2. Aside from him, I can't think of anybody obvious.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 06 Jun 2022, 4:38 pm

Can't see VC being tempted back north unfortunately. I think he is happy on the farm at home, or on the beach in Fiji.

I would not say no if he was interested though.

To soon for Horne, not sure if he is a decent coach or not yet?

There is Gustard as well. Currently working as sn assistsnt at Benetton. Trouble is he lost the dressing room at Quins for trying to get them playing with morr pragmstism!

That sounds familiar!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 06 Jun 2022, 4:40 pm

Considering Cowboy Dave's last match was a 55- 19
thumping away to Leinster things haven't really changed. Still, something must be stinking behind the scenes.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 06 Jun 2022, 4:43 pm

Lancaster is a maybe.

Cotter won’t be interested after the sru shafted him last time he was employed.

Chris Boyd maybe?

Or will be looking at home grown talent like hodge lol.

Maybe cairns? What about slong?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 06 Jun 2022, 4:54 pm

Is shlong coaching? Glasgow could certainly do with his passion!

If I was to pick an up and comer cairns would be the one for me. He strikes me as similar to mike Blair coaching wise. But not expenses spared on backroom if that is the decision as he'll need good support behind him.

Let's face it though, the world's greatest coach, Jake white, is always free I'm sure he'll want the gig. It'll be a bum fight for the job with Jake and Scott Robertson when the latter hears there's an opening in his dream location.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 06 Jun 2022, 4:58 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:Is shlong coaching? Glasgow could certainly do with his passion!

If I was to pick an up and comer cairns would be the one for me. He strikes me as similar to mike Blair. But not expenses spared on backroom if that is the decision as he'll need good support behind him.

Let's face it though, the world's greatest coach, Jake white, is always free I'm sure he'll want the gig. It'll be a bum fight for the job with Jake and Scott Robertson when the latter hears there's an opening in his dream location.

SL is strength and conditioning coach for Scotland Sevens.

A few decent up and coming coaches in the Super 6, but a bit to big a step up straight into a pro head coach I think. Having done an internal appointment last time, which did not go so well, I think more likely to go for an open recruitment this time.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 06 Jun 2022, 4:59 pm

I can't think of any of the current Scottish crop who are ready, Dalziel maybe but Toonie won't want to see him go.

It's going to have to be a known entity I think.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 06 Jun 2022, 5:06 pm

What about Bryan Easson? He did a great job with the women's side making them much harder to beat.

It's hard to see who would want the job outside of Scotland now the foundations of a good team are steadily crumbling to dust. It probably had the same amount of appeal as coaching zebre.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 06 Jun 2022, 5:07 pm

Does anyone know what GC's mildly racist uncle Dougie is doing these days? And it's not eighteen months in Barlinnie: that ended last week.

jimbopip

NeilyBroon and EST like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 06 Jun 2022, 6:04 pm

tigertattie wrote:
Chris Boyd maybe?

He's leaving Saints because he wants to be back in NZ, he's keeping a consultant role at the Gardens he'll do remotely.

Gustard has just taken the Stade Francais defence coach role.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 06 Jun 2022, 6:28 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
tigertattie wrote:
Chris Boyd maybe?  

He's leaving Saints because he wants to be back in NZ, he's keeping a consultant role at the Gardens he'll do remotely.

Gustard has just taken the Stade Francais defence coach role.

Oh well, Lancaster it will have to be then Run

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 06 Jun 2022, 6:36 pm

Considering how well Glasgow are looking in terms of their squad for next season it would be a pretty appealing coaching job. There’s bags of talent in the backline and only a few signings required to make this side a top four URC team. The incoming coach to be is quite nicely setup to kick on. It’s definitely not a clean slate type of job, more a subtle tweak required.

Top of the list for me would be Pat Lam. I think his style suits Glasgow but I can’t see him dropping DOR at Bristol for Glasgow. Otherwise a kiwi or Aussie coach looking for a jaunt into European rugby might be a good option.

Poor old Wilson. When he was dropped from the Scotland setup it definitely felt like a demotion rather than a side shift. Then as he didn’t manage to get the necessary results in the second half of the season it really did make his position close to untenable. Had Glasgow done better vs Leinster perhaps he would have been given one more season to enact his plans and signings. Good luck to him in his next job, suspect it’ll be with the WRU.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 06 Jun 2022, 7:32 pm

Pat Lam is the highest paid coach in the Prem and has a long contract to run. It would cost Glasgow a fortune to get him in.

Lancaster won't be offered a top job in England. Depends on his ambitions, if he wants another shot at the top job this could be it.

Sam Vesty would probably be the best bet of you're wanting to fish in the Prem, he is getting a promotion to head coach at Saints next season but working under Phil Dowson who will be DOR. If he could be convinced and Saints paid off then you'd probably have acquired the best young attack coach in the Prem currently. Might be a tough ask.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 06 Jun 2022, 7:33 pm

bsando wrote:Considering how well Glasgow are looking in terms of their squad for next season it would be a pretty appealing coaching job. There’s bags of talent in the backline and only a few signings required to make this side a top four URC team. The incoming coach to be is quite nicely setup to kick on. It’s definitely not a clean slate type of job, more a subtle tweak required.

Top of the list for me would be Pat Lam. I think his style suits Glasgow but I can’t see him dropping DOR at Bristol for Glasgow. Otherwise a kiwi or Aussie coach looking for a jaunt into European rugby might be a good option.

Poor old Wilson. When he was dropped from the Scotland setup it definitely felt like a demotion rather than a side shift. Then as he didn’t manage to get the necessary results in the second half of the season it really did make his position close to untenable. Had Glasgow done better vs Leinster perhaps he would have been given one more season to enact his plans and signings. Good luck to him in his next job, suspect it’ll be with the WRU.

That's Pivacs successor sorted then

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 06 Jun 2022, 7:42 pm

Lam wouldn’t touch Glasgow with a barge pole.

Scotland on the other hand…………..
tigertattie
tigertattie

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next