The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland World Cup buildup

+45
Dollar Bill
Rugby Fan
BamBam
Recwatcher16
Pal Joey
Galted
Old Man
Boston Exile
R!skysports
Maine man
carpet baboon
Heaf
demosthenes
nlpnlp
Welshmushroom
Heuer27
Duty281
lostinwales
TheMildlyFranticLlama
the-goon2
Anglobraveheart
RiscaGame
mikey_dragon
Mcsweens
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
Oakdene
EWT Spoons
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
sensisball
jimbopip
king_carlos
No 7&1/2
Collapse2005
Hazel Sapling
bsando
TJ
George Carlin
BigGee
Tramptastic
RDW
NeilyBroon
Highland Shaun
49 posters

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down

Scotland World Cup buildup  - Page 6 Empty Scotland World Cup buildup

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 20 Mar 2023, 11:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Scotland v Italy
Saturday 29 July

Scotland v France
Saturday 5 August

France v Scotland
Saturday 12 August

Scotland v Georgia
Saturday 26 August

I think it's only fair to start another thread for this topic because I can see it being a popular topic in terms of discussion Smile.

First things first is that 3 wins from 5 and a 3rd place finish probably exceeded expectations because most would have said 2 wins and the 4th place win, the one that most would have called was England to beat us as they were at home so imho we certainly deserve enormous credit for that one because we played very well against an England team that also had their moments, in fact I could already see improvements from the Eddie Jones era during that game and until DVDM clinched it at the death, I was still pretty worried we wouldn't win so was understandably over the moon that we did win.

The Wales and Italy matches were mixed bags tbh but we did get 5pts from both which was crucial, the Welsh game we didn't really perform first half and were in fact fortunate to go in at half time ahead but second half we were excellent and deserved the bonus point win.  The Italy game was a mixed bag in terms of; we had patches where we did well and others where we were hanging on, such as the last 2mins, I also felt that in that game our top centre pairing of Huwipulotu were quiet in attack though DVDM was a bit more involved that he had been in the previous few weeks before.

The France game was bloody frustrating because we showed glimpses of how well we can play especially in the second half for large parts but we were guilty of missing key opportunities and indiscipline from the captain of all people was our undoing which is where the frustration comes because as fans, we expect our captain to know what the ref will tolerate in terms of backchat!

The Ireland game was a game of 2 halfs, in the first half we were going toe to toe with them, it was probably the best we've played against them in a very long time; second half was a completely different story, we basically just capitalutated and handed the game to them with basic errors and more stupid indiscipline.

In terms of the coach, I have made my feelings known and really hope that the situation is resolved by at least mid to late April as we really need clarity on the situation!

Finally, for the summer warm up matches I'd like to see fringe players like Cameron Henderson, Ben Healy, Stafford McDowall, Kyle Rowe and Ollie Smith get some game time to see what they can offer either at the world cup (unlikely) or next 6N in 2024 Smile.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Scotland World Cup buildup  - Page 6 Empty Re: Scotland World Cup buildup

Post by TJ Fri 28 Jul 2023, 7:34 pm

RDW wrote:.......................... but I've got to find somewhere for brunch tomorrow that does eggs and avo without dukkah and watercress on it.

Just wait until you see whats happened in gentrified leith. I got a "traditional Scottish breakfast" ie fry up in a cafe. It came all artfully piled up on the plate with a salad - containing loads of coriander FFS. I nearly had a conniption

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 28 Jul 2023, 7:41 pm

George Carlin wrote:
RDW wrote:Greetings from Melbourne! I've ventured south to the land of man buns and skinny almond mocha half white lattes to attend Bledisloe at the MCG. 

Sure, there's less riding on it than Scotland v Italy and I'll have to settle for Samu Kerevi Vs Jodie Barrett instead of seeing Stafford McDowell and some Italian bloke, but I knew I'd be making sacrifices in moving over here.

Jimbos got problems trying to keep up at walking touch but I've got to find somewhere for brunch tomorrow that does eggs and avo without dukkah and watercress on it.
Love Melbourne. All of the hipster service that your heart could desire.

Although obviously you've changed RDW and you should be ashamed of yourself. Those heady days where a square slice in a floury bap, 18 pints of lukewarm McEwans urinewater, a dressage walk through horizontal rain, chips and cheese, a scuffed pair of Reebok Classics and a damn good thrashing was the only Friday night that you needed.

Metaphorically or physically?

Either way it's very Morningside.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 28 Jul 2023, 10:19 pm

TJ wrote:
RDW wrote:.......................... but I've got to find somewhere for brunch tomorrow that does eggs and avo without dukkah and watercress on it.

Just wait until you see whats happened in gentrified leith.  I got a "traditional Scottish breakfast" ie fry up in a cafe.  It came all artfully piled up on the plate with a salad - containing loads of coriander FFS.  I nearly had a conniption

Jeez you know gentrification is getting bad when it starts moving into Leith!  Laugh

Salad on a fry up??

RDW
Founder
Founder

TJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 28 Jul 2023, 11:24 pm

Tell me about it! I've lived in leith 35 years - we have gone from hookers ( not the rugby type) to hipsters

and yes - it really was coriander salad on a fry up

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 29 Jul 2023, 12:57 pm

Is the italy match on free to air anywhere? anyone know what channel its on?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Jul 2023, 12:59 pm

It is on Amazon Prime

I don't think it will be anywhere live on FTA but will likely end up on u tube

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Sat 29 Jul 2023, 1:14 pm

I thought I'd dip my toe back in with a World Cup coming up.

I think today is probably make or break for McDowall as far as this World Cup is concerned. Jones, Harris, Tuipolotu and Redpath are firmly in the driving seats one would imagine. Indeed, I suspect as far as the backs are concerned there are very few spots truly up for grabs. I think the squad itself is broadly settled. Perhaps a few of the long term travellers like Price, Watson, Hastings, Gilchrist will be nervously looking over their shoulders but broadly speaking it seems there's the players in the driving seat with a third or fourth option some way off from the outside looking in. I.e at at 9 White, Horne and Price are fairly established with Dobie some way behind.

Slightly more worrying is the utter capitulation of the u20s to Uruguay. It is also slightly baffling. If you look at the U18s results in recent years against England, Ireland and Wales they are not a million miles away. Now perhaps they play weakened teams against us.

One of the oft repeated statements I've seen is that it's a consequence of a reliance on private schools. Compelling and appealing as that argument is on the face of it, it unfortunately does not really stack up. A close friend of mine at University was from Dublin. Watching a Leinster game a couple of years ago he was able to point out that 6 of the 8 in the Leinster pack at one stage were educated at his school. Indeed, I would wager that perhaps in recent years there are individual Dublin schools that have produced more top class professionals than the entire Scottish rugby system.

The SRU would do worse than to look at the option of funding scholarships at the traditional rugby schools in the country. It is a depressing state of affairs to have a sport so dominated by private schools but it is a reality in most top rugby countries. Perhaps not Wales so much but with the greatest of respect to our Welsh friends it does seem at points like we are stuck in a death spiral with them.

In any case, without doing a huge amount of research admittedly, the U18s results against our traditional rivals are not that bad (not amazing by any stretch - a couple of pumpings by the French in there) so it is hard to fathom the U20s being so off the pace.

I think we are slightly hamstrung by schools finishing at 17 in Scotland. After all, the top schools everywhere effectively run rugby academies. In England, the players are in them up to 18 and then move on to academies with regular game time from 18-20. The SRU need to prioritise the regularisation of U20s rugby.

In England those that do not make it to the academies will head to the University system where they (again) effectively run academies. Last time I checked not a single Scottish University was in the top tier of uni rugby. The Universities that were up in the UK wide leagues were the like of Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews which are highly selective and not overwhelmingly Scottish in terms of the student body. So no Scottish Unis are playing at the highest tier at that level and the ones that are higher up are not a viable option for the vast majority in any case. That is something for the SRU to look at.

The signs are not promising - ultimately there has been the characteristic indignation from the SRU that journalists have the audacity to attempt to hold them to account for a catastrophe they are entirely responsible for. I suspect we will see Mark Dodson's eminently punchable face beaming next to a corporate sponsor who has unwittingly put his organisation's name next to an inevitably disastrous attempt to come up with a development system completely unlike any successful rugby nation's. Stand by by for the Tunnocks Tea Cake Scottish Rugby Centre of Athletic Excellence where three or four lucky late teens selected by tombola will attend every day for three years and crucially never touch a rugby ball or smell any grass - Mark Dodson, Honorary Life Chairman of the SRU, states he is confident this innovative, first of its kind approach will succeed as it has never failed before.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Jul 2023, 2:10 pm

In still think there are a few more places up for grabs than might seem on the surface and that is before any injuries, which there will inevitably be in a four game series coming up.

Dobie, I actually think has a shout, as I don't see Toonie as being all that convinced by Horne. He was supposedly on top of his game last season but is just not the game manager that White and price are and I am not sure that at this stage in his career, he is ever going to be. Whoever goes as the 3rd SH is going to have a lot of bench time unless the incumbants get injured, so maybe take Dobie as the better prospect.

Lets see how he plays today, I hope he gets a good half hour.

In other news, McConachie has gone home injured and Kyle Rowe is now officially in the squad though it seems that he has been involved for a few weeks anyway. I womder if he might get a run out next week?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 29 Jul 2023, 3:31 pm

Well a scratchy start but Ben Healy is having a very assured game so far (missed conversion aside!) I think we've gained a potentially great 10.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 29 Jul 2023, 3:37 pm

Aye Healy is currently, thankfully, killing any remaining chance Kinghorn had of having a career at 10 for Scotland or Edinburgh. Very assured start and mixing his game up nicely

TheMildlyFranticLlama

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Jul 2023, 3:38 pm

Good turnover from Darge!

Blimey though Healy can kick it a mile!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Jul 2023, 3:40 pm

That was a bit messy!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 29 Jul 2023, 3:46 pm

Surely neither Harris or price will make it on this performance so far

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Jul 2023, 4:01 pm

6-5 Italy at HT

can't say Italy don't deserve the lead though, understandably with the weather. the new sides and the rustiness, it has been a pretty messy game so far.

Let's hope it settles down in the second half

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Sat 29 Jul 2023, 4:25 pm

Not remotely good enough so far but tis a weakened, disjointed team so it's not too fazing.

One worry is that some of the more senior players don't seem to be standing up in the circumstances.

I agree with the above on Harris and Price. It is rather astonishing the number of Test Lions who are no longer first choice for their national sides. Sutherland, Price, Harris, Van Der Merwe and Hogg started for Tests - only VDM gets picked first up for Scotland now. Add AWJ, Jack Conan, Cowan-Dickie etc. There's a real drop off in all countries. Makes you wonder if the tour was a bit of a slog that drained players or if the selection was all wrong. Certainly Sexton seems to have done himself no harm not going!

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Jul 2023, 4:34 pm

Darcy Graham really is a try machine

Better from Price as well

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 29 Jul 2023, 4:38 pm

Price has had a pretty awful game really. Two kicks out on the full and some sloppy passing.

Wish Scotland would hurry up and get Henderson on, main reason I'm watching to see how he gets on.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 29 Jul 2023, 4:46 pm

Well Henderson is on, don't think you'll see much action though!

NeilyBroon

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Jul 2023, 4:58 pm

Javen Sebastian seems to have comfortably won the battle of the THs this afternoon!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Jul 2023, 4:59 pm

I told you Bayliss can play on the wing!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 29 Jul 2023, 5:08 pm

BigGee wrote:Javen Sebastian seems to have comfortably won the battle of the THs this afternoon!

He does seem to be coming good after rave reviews from our Welsh friends.

On another note, weird seeing a Scottish player interviewing with an Irish accent, somehow weirder than all the Saffers and English, just never thought the Irish pipeline would end up so congested that we'd pinch one! Maybe we should just aim to become the Celtic Globetrotters, especially now the WRU has gone to hell, north of the border must seem quite a tempting prospect. angel

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 29 Jul 2023, 5:15 pm

Had to go into work this morning because insensitive people keep getting hurt so I have to ruin my weekend and go fix what they broke.   Can't people take a break if I want to watch Rugby?  So I only saw the last 10 minutes.  Does Scotland have a 10????

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Jul 2023, 5:20 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Had to go into work this morning because insensitive people keep getting hurt so I have to ruin my weekend and go fix what they broke.   Can't people take a break if I want to watch Rugby?  So I only saw the last 10 minutes.  Does Scotland have a 10????

Healy definitely looks like a promising international FH

He has some boot on him and in the second half, got the back line moving a bit better as well. I suspect he will be on the plane after that MoM performance.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 29 Jul 2023, 5:21 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:Surely neither Harris or price will make it on this performance so far

Harris was Harrris. We know who he is. Not his best performance but steady and workmanlike as ever.
I don't know what you think Price did wrong. Dobie was mince when he came on. Price a fine assured game - made sure he took some of the pressure of Healy, set up ADHD kids second try beautifully. Who else would you play?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 29 Jul 2023, 5:22 pm

Healy booked his seat on the plane with that performance.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 29 Jul 2023, 5:28 pm

Harris must have gobs of credit in the bank.  He is a quality player and is someone who can win.  Cripe Harris at 50% would walk into the England mid-field.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 29 Jul 2023, 5:32 pm

TJ wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:Surely neither Harris or price will make it on this performance so far

Harris was Harrris.  We know who he is.  Not his best performance but steady and workmanlike as ever.
I don't know what you think Price did wrong.  Dobie was mince when he came on.  Price a fine assured game - made sure he took some of the pressure of Healy, set up ADHD kids second try beautifully.  Who else would you play?  

Why not play white? Got the game management. If these are warmups we may as well use our first choices too if the rationale was to protect Healy, to be honest I feel like Healy was clearing up after price more than the other way around. Three kicks out on the full and generally slow delivery with poor handling.

Do agree though that dobbie was pretty shockingly bad. That's about the only thing that made price look better.

Harris looked awful for the first 20, very flappy armed tackles on more than one occasion and brought nothing in attack. He did improve as the game went on though in fairness. Definitely not first choice but lack of other choice may get him on the plane.

Was also a bit disappointed in Smith, he's probably written himself out of the squad too.

Last edited by NeilyBroon on Sat 29 Jul 2023, 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Jul 2023, 5:33 pm

So in the head to heads for the final squad places

TH - I think JS comfortably won that one, not surprising really as he is a hardened league prop compared to Walker who is all potential really and does not yet have the game time.

Back Row - Luke Crosbie was again fairly anonymous, as he has been in most of his Scotland caps so far, he just can't seem to show the physicality we see week in week out for Edinburgh. I guess it is just tougher at this level. Bayliss took his chance and showed us what his USP is, speed and footwork, quite exceptional for a big man really. I don't think any of our other backrows would have scored that try.

Centre - McDowell did not do a lot wrong, but did not really shine either. His one break ended with him getting worked into touch. Harris was good in defence, as he always is, but pedestrian in attack. Redpath showed his class for the last try, holding 2 players with his pass and it is hard to see him not going.

SH - Price did not give his fan club much to cheer about early doors, a couple of poor kicks out on the full and a lack of control behind a stumbling pack did not show him up very well. He did pick out Graham very well for the second try though and may have been coming better into the game when he was subbed. Fortunately for him, Dobie made a few errors when he first came on as well, so he was not shown up. This one still hard to call, but you would fancy price experience will get him on the plane.

Second Rows - No massive standouts here but no obvious howlers either. We'll have to see who plays well next week. Henderson is now capped and will likely be better for the experience next time he plays.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 29 Jul 2023, 5:37 pm

Was also a bit disappointed in Smith, he's probably written himself out of the squad too.

He surely is our second choice at FB? I didn't spot any huge errors and he made a couple of good bits of play

Kinghorn is the man with the jersey but who is his backup?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Jul 2023, 5:43 pm

TJ wrote:

He surely is our second choice at FB?  I didn't spot any huge errors and he made a couple of good bits of play

Kinghorn is the man with the jersey but who is his backup?

I thought that was a bit harsh on Smith as well, he struggled with the slippery ball early on, but so did everyone. Let's see how Blairhorn goes next weekend, but I'd be surprised if Smith does not go.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 29 Jul 2023, 6:01 pm

BigGee wrote:I told you Bayliss can play on the wing!

Ha. I did say he was mobile for a big man. Was a great finish wasn't it. Will it be enough to get him on the plane?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 29 Jul 2023, 6:07 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Harris must have gobs of credit in the bank.  He is a quality player and is someone who can win.  Cripe Harris at 50% would walk into the England mid-field.

That's not high praise.

Harris offers a particular USP, he's a great defensive centre and he's an organiser. Might not be the option to go for in games you need to go searching for bonus points. Big games against physical opposition, he's your man.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 29 Jul 2023, 6:09 pm

That's not high praise.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy laughing

TJ

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 29 Jul 2023, 6:22 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Harris must have gobs of credit in the bank.  He is a quality player and is someone who can win.  Cripe Harris at 50% would walk into the England mid-field.

That's not high praise.

Harris offers a particular USP, he's a great defensive centre and he's an organiser. Might not be the option to go for in games you need to go searching for bonus points. Big games against physical opposition, he's your man.

I wonder if we might see Harris at 13 and Huw Jones at 15 for those matches.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 29 Jul 2023, 6:39 pm

I must say it was a very "meh" kind of afternoon.

No-one stood out as exceptionally good Headscratch apart from the ADHD Kid.

At the first breakdown Aldi Price was told the ball ahd been carried into the 22 and he still kicked it out on the full. At the next breakdown he kicked for distance and we had to defend a lineout about twenty metres away from where he kicked from.
His afternoon didn't get much better after that.
I think the criticism of the House Elf is harsh but I'm not sure that he'll get another chance to convince: possibly the two 9's for the Georgia game will be contesting the third spot.

I know people will be looking at the way the replacement front row destroyed two Azzurri scrums but that was late in the game and they also had changed their pack so I'm not reading too much into that.

Redpath and Bayliss combined and finished really well and showed the sort of incisiveness that had been absent for the 79 minutes before that. However, the ball was worked well down the left wing, Smith stepped past two defenders and then was strong in the tackle as two others tried to put him into touch, the recycled was moved quickly to the other touchline where Redpath and Bayliss were very, very good at exploiting the space. I still think Bayliss has Hamish, Mbawza, Darge and Fagerson ahead of him. However Crosbie did himself no favours today.

As I said, all a bit meh.

Still next week should be better. Fingers Crossed

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Jul 2023, 6:45 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
BigGee wrote:I told you Bayliss can play on the wing!

Ha. I did say he was mobile for a big man. Was a great finish wasn't it. Will it be enough to get him on the plane?

I don't think he did his chances any harm. Think I would take him ahead off Luke Crosbie, just as he has a point of difference.

It might come down to whether he takes 4 or 5 second rows.

It could be him or Henderson.

Quite a few of our backs can play accross the 3/4 line or FB, that is an area we could maybe skimp on a little.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 29 Jul 2023, 7:48 pm

I was at the game but my brother procured the seats and they were god awful. Needless to say I really didn’t see much of the game so I’ll need to watch a re run before commenting.

From what I could make out, Darcy likes a try and out scrum halves were woeful
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 29 Jul 2023, 11:53 pm

Stats make interesting reading ( if you like the state) Oille smith made the most metres of any scot and beat the most defenders.
Italy had most of the possession and territory and made more metres than Scotland
Darge made the most tackles
Darcy made zero tackles and missed 2

https://www.espn.com/rugby/matchstats?gameId=596376&league=289234

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 30 Jul 2023, 1:17 am

To be fair fullbacks usually make the most metres

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 30 Jul 2023, 2:13 am

Sounds like a classic pre season hit out but can definitely be classed as a success. We tried out a few squad players, no apparent injuries and we got a win which is important too.

Healy's MOTM looked well deserved and it's good to have a point of difference at 10 compared to Finn. Sometimes the Munster way is needed in rugby games and Healy definitely brings that. I'd love to see him get a start against France to see how he can step up a level but that may not happen. Given that he covers 10/15 and emergency centre he's a.gooe bench option, particularly if we're looking at a 6/2 split. Kinghorn playing fullback covers wing too.

Glad to see Sebastian get a good write up - similar to Nel when you look at him you can see he was born to scrum. Also important at Test level.

Good to see Mcinally throw himself about too - he'll be desperate for a good send-off to his career.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 30 Jul 2023, 9:36 am

Just caught the replay this morning. All in all a great first hit out.

Firstly I have to mention Italy because they were very good and made very few mistakes. Crowley has developed a superb backline with possibly the best Italian handling skills I have ever seen. It was just a shame for them they couldn't dominate up front and get into Scotland's 22 a bit more.

For Scotland, lots of errors, but MOTM Healy really kept Scotland in the right area of the pitch. He couldn't have played any better and his kicking was very good.

M Fagerson made a lot of handling errors but he grew into the game so I'm glad he started and had some time to improve seeing as he isa core member of the squad.

Price vs Dobie was an interesting one. Price brings a lot of experience and Dobie looked a bit raw which is normal considering it was his second cap for Scotland. But Dobie was really getting that ball out a lot quicker from the rucks. I see a lot of promise in him. This world cup may come a bit soon but he's really not far off.

The big impression I had from the McDowell vs Redpath battle was that once Scotland were on the front foot Redpath clearly looked a level above McDowell. His passing is fast and crisp and positionally he looks a lot more switched on. Considering the squad will be announced after the France match for me that is pretty much a done deal. McDowell was far from awful though and I'm glad he got his first cap for Scotland, he just didn't really prove he was better than Redpath.

In the pack it was quite interesting. Sutherland and Walker had a hard time of it and when their replacements came on it looked like Italy may suddenly have an advantage as Sebastian went down a few times. But then Scotland had a real purple patch at scrum time and started to get a drive on. I don't know wether that was Bhatti, McInaly and Sebastian clicking or Henderson adding some beef in the boiler room but it was encouraging to see. Walker brought a lot of physicality in defence I thought.

All in all, that was probably one of the best performances from a second string Scotland side I've ever seen. Some of the players who miss out will be very unlucky.

So from that performance (test) I'd have to say

Winners - Redpath, Skinner, Walker, Healy, Henderson, Bayliss

Losers - McDowell, Crosbie (a bit anonymous),

In the Balance - Harris, Sutherland, Price

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 30 Jul 2023, 10:00 am

https://www.theoffsideline.com/rwc23-scotland-v-italy-scotland-player-ratings/?amp=1

Player ratings from ToL, which I would say i broadly agree with

They also put out a likely squad of 19 forwards and 14 backs, which is not likely to be to far away

He picks Dobie over Price and leaves out Harris over Redpath & McDowell

Also picks Henderson, as part of 5 locks/hybrids

Outside of that probably the only other contention is whether Hastings can prove his worth. Apparently he is fit now and probably needs to start next weekend to have a chance after that display by Healy yesterday. FR did say he had only been in camp three weeks after the late ending to the French season and seemed a little non-committal about whether he would start when asked at half time. maybe he will bench this one and start the following week.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 30 Jul 2023, 10:36 am

Not bad but Price is surely in the squad I think SH will be price white and either hornito or dobie

this made me laugh "Doesn’t attack the line or pick out passes like that other guy, but a cool customer who reads the game."

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 30 Jul 2023, 11:01 am

bsando wrote:Just caught the replay this morning. All in all a great first hit out.

Firstly I have to mention Italy because they were very good and made very few mistakes. Crowley has developed a superb backline with possibly the best Italian handling skills I have ever seen. It was just a shame for them they couldn't dominate up front and get into Scotland's 22 a bit more.

For Scotland, lots of errors, but MOTM Healy really kept Scotland in the right area of the pitch. He couldn't have played any better and his kicking was very good.

M Fagerson made a lot of handling errors but he grew into the game so I'm glad he started and had some time to improve seeing as he isa core member of the squad.

Price vs Dobie was an interesting one. Price brings a lot of experience and Dobie looked a bit raw which is normal considering it was his second cap for Scotland. But Dobie was really getting that ball out a lot quicker from the rucks. I see a lot of promise in him. This world cup may come a bit soon but he's really not far off.

The big impression I had from the McDowell vs Redpath battle was that once Scotland were on the front foot Redpath clearly looked a level above McDowell. His passing is fast and crisp and positionally he looks a lot more switched on. Considering the squad will be announced after the France match for me that is pretty much a done deal. McDowell was far from awful though and I'm glad he got his first cap for Scotland, he just didn't really prove he was better than Redpath.

In the pack it was quite interesting. Sutherland and Walker had a hard time of it and when their replacements came on it looked like Italy may suddenly have an advantage as Sebastian went down a few times. But then Scotland had a real purple patch at scrum time and started to get a drive on. I don't know wether that was Bhatti, McInaly and Sebastian clicking or Henderson adding some beef in the boiler room but it was encouraging to see. Walker brought a lot of physicality in defence I thought.

All in all, that was probably one of the best performances from a second string Scotland side I've ever seen. Some of the players who miss out will be very unlucky.

So from that performance (test) I'd have to say

Winners - Redpath, Skinner, Walker, Healy, Henderson, Bayliss

Losers - McDowell, Crosbie (a bit anonymous),

In the Balance - Harris, Sutherland, Price

Agree with most of this bsando. Interesting that the three you have in the balance are all Lions.
I've said it before but Dobie's ability to whip the ball out quickly will be crucial to playing the high tempo game Toonie wants. One highlight of a very flat first half was when Healy chased and tapped back his own kick; Sutherland gathered the loose ball and rampaged into Italian territory, the crowd came alive and it looked like something was on. Sutherland was tackled and penalised for hanging on. What the replay showed was that Ali Price still hadn't reached the breakdown by the time the players were back on their feet and the ref had pantomimed his decision. Surely Ali Price is too young for Walking Rugby?
On the McDowell -Redpath question I think that with slow ball from 9, a 10 who doesn't attack the line "like that other guy" and a 13 who is never going to stretch the defence then Stafford is pretty much trucking it up all day long. Bayliss' try was the result of; quick ball from 9, Stafford at 12 moving the defence and Redpath in space (and time) against a tired defence. That said, Redpath has a very different skill from Harris and Stafford so you can see why he might make the squad. If Shona gets injured who is the most obvious replacement without having to redraw the gameplan completely.

jimbopip

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 30 Jul 2023, 1:36 pm

Not far off at all but dropping Harris and keeping McDowell?? That is a bit mad. What was the point in sticking with Harris for all these seasons to then drop him for a one cap wonder right before the world cup?? McDowell is a good player but surely Harris is a given.

Third choice tighthead is going to be an interesting call. I'd be swaying towards Walker over Sebastian simply because he is younger and will probably still be around for the next world cup.

Hasting could be a great utility option if he is able to prove he is fit. He played a crucial part in beating Russia and Samoa in 2019. However that would probably be at the expense of Steyn. Let's see how this match against France goes.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 30 Jul 2023, 1:44 pm

Ah so if Jones were injured Jimbo, then I think Tuipulotu would swap to 13 with Redpath at 12. That would leave Harris to complete the 23 as he is a centre and winger. And yes, it is crazy that three Lions could be down the pecking order but that is down to the growing competition in the squad. All three of Sutherland, Harris and Price are safe options. It'll take something brilliant from their closest competitors to usurp them.

bsando

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Sun 30 Jul 2023, 3:37 pm

I think in all honesty this summer has come too soon for McDowall and Dobie. Harris is certainly on the way down as an international rugby player - no shame in that as he is 32 and Price is not at his best.

Ultimately Scotland have never actually produced an upset at a World Cup. We will need to upset at least one of arguably the two best teams in the World at controlling and dominating a game.

As it stands you'd expect the XV vs Ireland all being well to be: Schoeman, Turner, Fagerson, Gray, Gilchrist, Fagerson, Ritchie, Dempsey, White, Russell, Van Der Merwe, Tuipolutu, Jones, Graham, Kinghorn.

We then have over a month before facing Ireland. It may well be a winner takes all battle by that stage. It would take an injury for Jones for the 13 shirt to realistically be up for grabs. I would always go with the experienced option against Ireland. Harris can also cover the wing and has international experience there so is a good squad option in that regard.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 30 Jul 2023, 4:08 pm

To be fair to Lord Stafford, on eatching the highlights, he probably had a better game than I initailly gave him credit for. He was actually involved in all three tries and showed very good hands to give the ball to Healy for the chip over to Dsrcy in the corner.

I'd fancy another look at him, but with the schedule of the warm up games, that may unfortunately not happen.

Even those that don't get initially picked will remain in the frame though. There will be injuries, that is about the one thing that is guaranteed.

The Aussie TH ruptured his achilles on saturday and he is out and he won't be the last.

As an aside to that, Australia have called Tom Lambert into their squad. He could turn out to be one that got away!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 30 Jul 2023, 4:16 pm

Agree that this WC has come too soon for Dobie and McDowall, and I'd go with the experience of Price and Harris respectively. Tonga (in particular) and Romania will require some cool heads and experience to navigate, and so I'd go with the two experienced Lions in the squad. In any case, neither Dobie nor McDowall actually played particularly well.

Otherwise I thought Skinner and Cummings were decent, and we need to wrap Darcy Graham in cotton wool. Darge came into the game and Matt Fagerson was his usual direct self. Healy is a real find though, and could be a great late sub should we ever find ourselves in the luxury position of needing to close out a close game. Those touchline howitzers were outstanding.

Promising stuff from the bench as well I thought, particularly McInally and Sebastian.

A slow and stodgy start, but this was very much a second string side.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 30 Jul 2023, 4:28 pm

A foot note to the U20s tournament in Kenya

Spain beat Uruguay in the final, so go into the full comp next year. As we beat Spain pretty comfortably in a warm up, that makes the abberation against Uruguay even harder to fathom!

We fairly massscred Samoa by 80 odd points in the third place match but to little to late and we will have to try again next year

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next