The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland World Cup buildup

+45
Dollar Bill
Rugby Fan
BamBam
Recwatcher16
Pal Joey
Galted
Old Man
Boston Exile
R!skysports
Maine man
carpet baboon
Heaf
demosthenes
nlpnlp
Welshmushroom
Heuer27
Duty281
lostinwales
TheMildlyFranticLlama
the-goon2
Anglobraveheart
RiscaGame
mikey_dragon
Mcsweens
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
Oakdene
EWT Spoons
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
sensisball
jimbopip
king_carlos
No 7&1/2
Collapse2005
Hazel Sapling
bsando
TJ
George Carlin
BigGee
Tramptastic
RDW
NeilyBroon
Highland Shaun
49 posters

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down

Scotland World Cup buildup  - Page 5 Empty Scotland World Cup buildup

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 20 Mar 2023, 11:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Scotland v Italy
Saturday 29 July

Scotland v France
Saturday 5 August

France v Scotland
Saturday 12 August

Scotland v Georgia
Saturday 26 August

I think it's only fair to start another thread for this topic because I can see it being a popular topic in terms of discussion Smile.

First things first is that 3 wins from 5 and a 3rd place finish probably exceeded expectations because most would have said 2 wins and the 4th place win, the one that most would have called was England to beat us as they were at home so imho we certainly deserve enormous credit for that one because we played very well against an England team that also had their moments, in fact I could already see improvements from the Eddie Jones era during that game and until DVDM clinched it at the death, I was still pretty worried we wouldn't win so was understandably over the moon that we did win.

The Wales and Italy matches were mixed bags tbh but we did get 5pts from both which was crucial, the Welsh game we didn't really perform first half and were in fact fortunate to go in at half time ahead but second half we were excellent and deserved the bonus point win.  The Italy game was a mixed bag in terms of; we had patches where we did well and others where we were hanging on, such as the last 2mins, I also felt that in that game our top centre pairing of Huwipulotu were quiet in attack though DVDM was a bit more involved that he had been in the previous few weeks before.

The France game was bloody frustrating because we showed glimpses of how well we can play especially in the second half for large parts but we were guilty of missing key opportunities and indiscipline from the captain of all people was our undoing which is where the frustration comes because as fans, we expect our captain to know what the ref will tolerate in terms of backchat!

The Ireland game was a game of 2 halfs, in the first half we were going toe to toe with them, it was probably the best we've played against them in a very long time; second half was a completely different story, we basically just capitalutated and handed the game to them with basic errors and more stupid indiscipline.

In terms of the coach, I have made my feelings known and really hope that the situation is resolved by at least mid to late April as we really need clarity on the situation!

Finally, for the summer warm up matches I'd like to see fringe players like Cameron Henderson, Ben Healy, Stafford McDowall, Kyle Rowe and Ollie Smith get some game time to see what they can offer either at the world cup (unlikely) or next 6N in 2024 Smile.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Scotland World Cup buildup  - Page 5 Empty Re: Scotland World Cup buildup

Post by BigGee Tue 18 Jul 2023, 3:09 pm

That might mean someone is injured though?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Fri 21 Jul 2023, 3:08 pm

So... ive been shown the team sheet for the 1st warm up match BUT ive neen asked not to share it until next week due to a heavy rap on the knuckles if he gets found it...

What to do?

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 21 Jul 2023, 3:32 pm

I guess it is time for us to have a little stab at it then and maybe you can judge our efforts without giving everything away!

This will be the more experimental of the games I think and may be the only shot for a few of the lesser contenders to nail their spot. We will see a much stronger team for the 2 French games.

So maybe something along the lines of:

1. Sutherland
2. Ashman
3. Nel
4. Gilchrist
5. Cummings
6. Fagerson M
7. Darge
8. Dempsey
9, Horne
10. Hastings/Healy - depending if AH is fit
11. Steyn
12. Redpath
13. Harris
14. McConachie
15. Smith

Subs

Bhatti
Cherry
Sebasttian
Henderson
Baylis
Dobie
Kinghorn
McDowell

Some of the key decisions here may well be:

1. Horne or Dobie for the 3rd SH spot

2. Does Henderson cut the mustard at international level

3. Healy may well start if Hastings is still not fit, a good game could get him on the plane

4. Harris and Redpath, who have been eclipsed a little by Huwipolotu, need to put down a marker or they may also become bit players.

I am struggling to see McDowell or McConachie in the final squad, but a few injuries and you never know?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 22 Jul 2023, 9:31 am

Tramptastic wrote:So... ive been shown the team sheet for the 1st warm up match BUT ive neen asked not to share it until next week due to a heavy rap on the knuckles if he gets found it...

What to do?

Well don't send any PM's Laugh

Also check out the Covid enquiry for excuses re. being unable to access WhatsApp messages on your phone.

Grant Gilchrist was on FB saying that these warm ups are must win matches if we're going to do well at the World Cup (not necessarily true) and while that's standard blah blah media training I think it might hint that he's starting against Italy.

Otherwise, I think there are certain players who we know are first XV when it comes to the hurly burly of must win matches. Ragnar, Shooey, Mbawza, Dancer, Wee Shona, Shug. I don't think we would learn much from starting the against Italy.

However, there are players who could be making the squad but then again Headscratch

I think Toonie won't want back to back walloppings against France so we can expect a strong side for that. Scrappy wins against Italy and Georgia with lots of "possibles" being given a run out would be perfectly acceptable.

Bhatti-Ashman-Berghan Sutherland-Chuckles-Nel
Gilchrist-Hodgson Ickle Jonny
Skinner-Crosby-Hamish Bayliss Dempsey
Hornito House Elf
Healey Blairhorn
Redpath-Harris
Seaman-Smith-Rowe

I think Toonie knows his 9-15 but probably wants to see which of the fat boys look like they can take on the Boks in the opener.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 22 Jul 2023, 9:43 am

Minor details I know Jim, but Hodgson is not in the squad and Berghan has retired, so I am not sure he will be in the best of shape, even for Italy!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Sat 22 Jul 2023, 9:53 am

Darge to captain, skinner amd harris to vice captain

Healy to start, mcdowall at 12, murphy at tighthead, henderson on the bench

Those are probably the hightlights, shows some idea of leaders in the wider group and testing out the unknowns a bit more

Tramptastic

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 22 Jul 2023, 10:00 am

Tramptastic wrote:Darge to captain, skinner amd harris to vice captain

Those are probably the hightlights, shows some idea of leaders in the wider group and testing out the unknowns a bit more
Got to say it really didn't take much to make you crack... Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 22 Jul 2023, 10:08 am

Tramptastic wrote:Darge to captain, skinner amd harris to vice captain

Well he certainly is giving the squad group a chance then.

Walker to start is an interesting one, bearing in mind how little game time he had with Glasgow last season. Could he be in line for the 3rd TH spot?

McDowell definitely deserves a chance, though I still think he will struggle to make the final cut.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 22 Jul 2023, 10:22 am

BigGee wrote:Minor details I know Jim, but Hodgson is not in the squad and Berghan has retired, so I am not sure he will be in the best of shape, even for Italy!

I looked at the SRU website pagethingy and they were both in. Doh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 22 Jul 2023, 10:25 am

Is Hamish going to be third choice 7?

Darge obviously is first.

Mbawza second as Matt F will be the first choice 6.

Unless Matt F is at 7 with Crosbie at 6.

Fecc, Hamish is fourth choice 7.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 23 Jul 2023, 12:13 pm

Hard to tell at the moment. I’d like to think Watson will have boosted his fitness and will show up physically this World Cup. Considering how good he was during the run up to the lions tour the expectations are high when it comes to his performances, just like it was with Hogg. Darge could be our Hooper, he’s first choice for me. Ritchie, Darge and Dempsey but M Fagerson and Watson should barely affect any subs. The depth is really solid and there isn’t anyone else in the picture who can bring much more of an impact than these five players. Crosbie and Bayliss will be desperate to try and usurp someone to sneak in the final squad.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sun 23 Jul 2023, 12:17 pm

jimbopip wrote:
Tramptastic wrote:So... ive been shown the team sheet for the 1st warm up match BUT ive neen asked not to share it until next week due to a heavy rap on the knuckles if he gets found it...

What to do?

Well don't send any PM's Laugh

Also check out the Covid enquiry for excuses re. being unable to access WhatsApp messages on your phone.

Grant Gilchrist was on FB saying that these warm ups are must win matches if we're going to do well at the World Cup (not necessarily true) and while that's standard blah blah media training I think it might hint that he's starting against Italy.

Otherwise, I think there are certain players who we know are first XV when it comes to the hurly burly of must win matches. Ragnar, Shooey, Mbawza, Dancer, Wee Shona, Shug. I don't think we would learn much from starting the against Italy.

However, there are players who could be making the squad but then again Headscratch

I think Toonie won't want back to back walloppings against France so we can expect a strong side for that. Scrappy wins against Italy and Georgia with lots of "possibles" being given a run out would be perfectly acceptable.

Bhatti-Ashman-Berghan  Sutherland-Chuckles-Nel
Gilchrist-Hodgson  Ickle Jonny
Skinner-Crosby-Hamish  Bayliss Dempsey
Hornito House Elf
Healey Blairhorn
Redpath-Harris
Seaman-Smith-Rowe

I think Toonie knows his 9-15 but probably wants to see which of the fat boys look like they can take on the Boks in the opener.

Sorry Jimbo, but besides Big Gees observations regarding Hodgson and Berghan, you have also selected Bayliss, Brown and Gray junior, who are not in the squad
Now those 5 would really be left field for the first match.
I think that we will see experimental selections in the Italy game and French away game, and we are likely to see first choices for the home French game and at least the first half of the Georgia game. thumbsup

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 23 Jul 2023, 1:20 pm

Bayliss is in the squad now, though not originally.

He was brought in for Christie who has not recovered from his broken arm unfortunately.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 23 Jul 2023, 1:22 pm

Jimbo you sure you don't want to throw in Budge Pountney and Kenny Logan while you're on a role with this team selection? laughing

RDW
Founder
Founder

sensisball and George Carlin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sun 23 Jul 2023, 1:31 pm

Apologies Gee, I have obviously failed to keep up with squad changes.
Is this an opportune moment to start rumours of Sean Maitland, Chris Patterson and Allan Jacobsen being selected for the Italy match? 😉

I'm not Toonie, but I don't see Bayliss, Sebastian or McConnachie making the final cut. The rest are all in with a shout imo.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 23 Jul 2023, 1:34 pm

RDW wrote:Jimbo you sure you don't want to throw in Budge Pountney and Kenny Logan while you're on a role with this team selection? laughing

See? That's why nobody likes you and we all chipped in for the bus fare to send you off to the penal colony.

I don't know what made me look at the SRU site, check the photies of the players listed as being in the squad and then believe that they were in fact in the squad. picard

When will I learn? picard

Anyhoo, I think we're all agreed that

Shooey-Turner-Ragnar
Gilchrist-Gray Snr
Mbawza-Dempsey-Darge
White
Dancer
Shona-Shug
ADHD-Smith-Duhan

Is probably our best Xv at the moment, with Healey covering 10 and Seaman covering 11 and 14. Possibly Seaman to 13 and Shug at 15 if Smith has to leave the field. Blarehorn? oh yeah

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 23 Jul 2023, 1:42 pm

Anglobraveheart wrote:Apologies Gee, I have obviously failed to keep up with squad changes.
Is this an opportune moment to start rumours of Sean Maitland, Chris Patterson and Allan Jacobsen being selected for the Italy match? 😉

I'm not Toonie, but I don't see Bayliss, Sebastian or McConnachie making the final cut. The rest are all in with a shout imo.

I guess it is Sebastian v Walker for the last TH spot. Maybe we will see JS get a crack next weekend.

Bayliss has certainly got his work cut out, but is a decent player who would not let us down.

McConnachie again. has to be a long shot and the flying mullet, Kyle Rowe also seems to be training with the squad, though not officially announced as being in. neither likely to go if everyone stays fit.

Still it will be no less than a miracle if we get through all of these warm up games without picking up any serious injuries, so having some reserves up to speed will be a very judicious approach.

On previous form and going on what Toonie has previously said, he will likely trim the squad down to almost its world cup size after the second game. As Jimbo has already said, we would be crazy to go into a game against France without a very strong team, so I think this game is likely to be the only one for any real experimentation. Any outside bets for the final squad need to take their opportunities this time around I suspect.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 23 Jul 2023, 1:48 pm

RDW wrote:Jimbo you sure you don't want to throw in Budge Pountney and Kenny Logan while you're on a role with this team selection? laughing

He'll be in the squad before Rufus McLean. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sun 23 Jul 2023, 1:58 pm

jimbopip wrote:

See? That's why nobody likes you and we all chipped in for the bus fare to send you off to the penal colony.

I don't know what made me look at the SRU site, check the photies of the players listed as being in the squad and then believe that they were in fact in the squad. picard

When will I learn? picard

Anyhoo, I think we're all agreed that

Shooey-Turner-Ragnar
Gilchrist-Gray Snr
Mbawza-Dempsey-Darge
White
Dancer
Shona-Shug
ADHD-Smith-Duhan

Is probably our best Xv at the moment, with Healey covering 10 and Seaman covering 11 and 14. Possibly Seaman to 13 and Shug at 15 if Smith has to leave the field. Blarehorn? oh yeah

I fancy that we will see a Glasgow engine room, with Cummings and R Gray as the starting locks.
The bench lock may depend on whether the match needs a 6/2 split (SA or Ire - giving Gilco a bench spot) or a 5/3 split (Tonga or Rom - giving Skinner or Henderson a place).
I also think that we need as much as possible our first choices to be available for Tonga - possibly to close the game out - The attritional nature in the way Tonga play may be a good reason not to start our No 1 choices?

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Sun 23 Jul 2023, 9:42 pm

Ok, im bored and its almost monday

Sutherland
Turner
Walker
Skinner (VC)
Cummings
Crosbie
Darge (C)
M Fagerson
Price
Healy
Steyn
McDowall
Harris (VC)
Graham
Smith

Subs:

Mcinnaly
Bhatti
Sebastian
Henderson
Bayliss
Dobie
Kinghorn
Redpath

So the message was "fringe boys against italy, main squad/full strength for the rest". To me this team looks a mix - Healy is likely going to get a full match to show what hes got, likely joined by walker, crosbie, McDowall and Smith as "we want a proper look at you guys, sink or swim time".

Henderson, Dobie and Bayliss unlikely to be retained but worth a look anyway

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 24 Jul 2023, 8:33 am

Tramp Hug thanks for that.

Looks like Walker and Sebastian slugging it out for the last TH spot.

The back five of the scrum are very mobile but it does suggest Gray-Gilchrst- Mbawza-Dempsey-Hamish for the France game.

Very interesting that Principal is a VC. I'm not convinced that he is in the top four locks ( Gray, Gray, GG and Cummings) but would probably be hoping to make the final squad as a 4/6 cover player. However, Toonie seems to be giving him a vote of confidence.

Darge as captain Shocked . That would doubtless tell Hamish and Mbawza that they need to be firing on all cylinders from now on.

Aldi Price definitely looking our number 2 scrum half now. Or 3 if Hornito and White play against France.

Stafford and Harris...the hardest working centre pairing in the world? Why is the word "stodgy" resounding in the empty cavern of my skull?

Seaman-Smith-ADHD is not a bad back three to be sure.

With the exceptions of Bhatti and Blarehorn most of the bench could easily miss the cut.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 24 Jul 2023, 8:59 am

Looks like Redpath and McDowell are up against each other as well, though you would have thought that Redpath would have been nailed on a little while ago. He probably needs a good game to cement his place now though, as his form seemed to fall away a bit towards the end of the season, when he was not even getting picked for Bath.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 24 Jul 2023, 9:03 am

jimbopip wrote:

Very interesting that Principal is a VC. I'm not convinced that he is in the top four locks ( Gray, Gray, GG and Cummings) but would probably be hoping to make the final squad as a 4/6 cover player. However, Toonie seems to be giving him a vote of confidence.

Only one Gray in the squad Jim, junior got injured at the end of the season.

You would imagine if he goes with 4 locks, then Gray, Cummings GG and Skinner are in the driving seat with Henderson as the bolter.

He could go with 5 locks though, using Skinner as the hybrid, in which case Henderson could go as well. He has looked good for Leicester when I have seen him, it will be good to see how he goes this weekend.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 24 Jul 2023, 9:48 pm

jimbopip wrote:

Is probably our best Xv at the moment, :

gilcrest?  NO way is he our best 4

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon 24 Jul 2023, 10:04 pm

TJ wrote:
jimbopip wrote:

Is probably our best Xv at the moment, :

gilcrest?  NO way is he our best 4

I'd of emphasised "way" over "NO"

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 25 Jul 2023, 10:35 am

"Best 4" is one of those ecumenical matters, Ted. Erm

Cummings is far and away the most athletic of the locks. Some of the lines he runs are breathtaking. He also calls the lineout at Glasgow.
Big Ritchie has it all; he is easily our best lineout option in attack and can always be counted on to fecc up the opposition's line out given half a chance.

However, there is always a place for the big laddie who is never more than five yards from the ruck and who will carry for an average of 1.9 metres. If he just keeps smashing over the gain line eventually Dancer will have enough time and space to create something. I know I have been critical of GG in the past but over the last year the word from the Scotland players is about how much he contributes to the team. So for me the question will be which pairing adds more collectively to the side.

For me, Gray-Cummings and GG should be in the 23 for most matches. Toonie may opt to take those three and Henderson as his four locks and put Skinner in as a hybrid 4/6.

It looks like GG will play against France in the next match, if their pack turn us over then a lot will depend on keeping Gray and Cummings fit throughout the group matches.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Tue 25 Jul 2023, 11:58 am

Jimbo
I concur that GG has improved massively over the last seasons. Remember when he broke running into the USA scrum half at the WC in 2015? It was a low point from which Cockers was able to rebuilt him into a robust and combative second row, first for Edinburgh and then for Scotland.
However, he still isn't a dynamic player, so I would always prefer him to start a match, in much the same way Gray Sn is best employed.
Therefore when possible I would prefer to see Cummings on the bench to add pace, and dynamic ball carrying in the last 30 minutes.
We don't have a plethora of genuine ball carriers but Cummings is one forward that can make a significant impact around the park and not just as a one out runner.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 25 Jul 2023, 12:53 pm

Agreed Sensiball, but how about a ball carrying Xv?

Shooey-Turner-Ragnar
Cummings-Gray Snr
Fagerson-Demsey-Darge
Hornito
Dancer
Shona
Shug
ADHD-Smith-Doohan

Still struggling to find a slither of space in there for Blarehorn. He's possibly a better ball carrier than Dancer vomit even typing that makes me feel like FES must after he's spent too much time in the airing cupboard with his collection of Cruella's polaroids.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 25 Jul 2023, 1:24 pm

Shall we start calling Ragnar The Time Lord?

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=714859107317936&set=a.439259618211221&__cft__[0]=AZXuIxVkHyNBrmX2W4icM0rskFOUr6GKetvEovsgNNNTCaN-gz3lrZjOAzqMK3q_3ZeSJSwMogWQ02ns89Rkgh6O8mHGmlb2XJ3VDByQwgRf4KOSh1PCtq3EWJ5d23pjmXmIqgDWod0JDNRZLSJ0npcaU__68klB3GyOgZmmj3gIkEGKCpgkIBXenviOIt0fTS4&__tn__=EH-R

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 25 Jul 2023, 1:25 pm

jimbopip wrote:Shall we start calling Ragnar The Time Lord?

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=714859107317936&set=a.439259618211221&__cft__[0]=AZXuIxVkHyNBrmX2W4icM0rskFOUr6GKetvEovsgNNNTCaN-gz3lrZjOAzqMK3q_3ZeSJSwMogWQ02ns89Rkgh6O8mHGmlb2XJ3VDByQwgRf4KOSh1PCtq3EWJ5d23pjmXmIqgDWod0JDNRZLSJ0npcaU__68klB3GyOgZmmj3gIkEGKCpgkIBXenviOIt0fTS4&__tn__=EH-R

Joke thief!

https://twitter.com/glove931/status/1683492899294461952?t=HOoPDx5T46mwm_sRYmb4vg&s=19

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 25 Jul 2023, 2:20 pm

No...I made the joke before Glove but he travelled back in time and posted it on Muppet before I posted it on here.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 26 Jul 2023, 10:12 am

Can’t believe the warmup matches begin this weekend. probably the most ‘Meh’ fixtures on the rugby calendar.

Results seem pretty pointless but at the same time seeing Scotland get pummelled by France in 2019 was the first sign some of the hype surrounding the prospects of the team was in fact inflated.

I’m most interested in how well we show up physically in all of these matches.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 26 Jul 2023, 10:53 am

It's all a bit of an unknown quantity really, which does make it interesting and I am looking forward to the games.

We did get fairly hammered by France in the first match last time around when we played them away but then beat them at Murrayfield. I was at that game and we played very well. We have not seen the players in action for a while, so are not sure who is or is not playing well and are going to see some experimental line ups as well. In the first few games at least. performance may be as important as results.

The one thing that strikes me this time around is that they have kept the build up very low key and seem content to be flying under the radar. There has been very little comms coming out of the SRU about the camps or the build up to this match really and that is probably a good thing.

I have to say as well, having been to world cup warm up games on both the last two cycles. Going to see international matches in August is just great, warm weather, sitting on the grass at Murrayfield and having a beer after the game, what is not to like. Even if it rains, August rain is just not the same as November Rain, I think Guns n Roses may have written a song about that!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 26 Jul 2023, 12:22 pm

So! Tramptastic is also a Time Lord Shocked

He travelled back to Monday and told us today's team announcement.

My recent posts have not been as sharp as you may have grown to expect; this is mostly due to my spending hours hunche dover the computer marking GCSe's. It fairly fries the brain cells. I have completed this year's allocation and have just had a look at hotels in Luvvietoun and match tickets. Now I am doing the mental maths to work out how many (extra) scripts I would need to mark in order to get my boys up to Noxious Gas Murrayfield on Saturday. Headscratch

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 26 Jul 2023, 12:28 pm

It will be interesting to see how fully loaded Italy go for this one as well.

Do they sense a chance of a scalp here? They must have been aware that Scotland were always likely to roll the dice for this one.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Jul 2023, 1:43 pm

Darge as captain is pretty random. They maybe see him as a future leader so giving him the reigns for a meaningless game is a good starting point.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 26 Jul 2023, 2:19 pm

I'm not too sure about random, Flounder; Darge captained the Under 20's so he has obviously shown leadership qualities.
Also, his captaincy sends out three really powerful messages; the Age Group players can see that it is possible to break into the full side, Hamish Watson gets a might kick up the backside and will have to put in a big performance or two in the upcoming warm up matches if he wants the 7 jersey in the immediate future, and finally Mbawza shouldn't be too complacent either.

If Toonie takes six back rows to the World Cup we could see; Darge, Watson, Dempsey, Mbawza, Fagerson and one of Bayliss or Crosbie.

This could mean, in order of likelihood to start in a must win match

6. Mbawza, Fagerson, Crosbie. The first two will really depend on the opposition and the gameplan and what Tooine has had for breakfast. Crosbie is a distant third.
7. Darge, Mbawza, Watson, Fagerson, Bayliss. Other than saying that the only time I saw Bayliss in the flesh was when Glasgow stuffed Bath at the Rec and he was pretty anonymous I have no idea who Toonie sees as his starting 7.
8. Dempsey, Fagerson, Crosbie. The first two will really depend on the opposition and the gameplan and what Toonie has had for breakfast. Crosbie is a distant third.

However, a back row is all about balancing the three components.

Fagerson-Dempsey-Darge is a very dynamic, aggressive unit.
Crosbie-Fagerson-Bayliss probably not so much.
Crosbie-Fagerson-Mbawza may well start against the Boks but is perhaps not as dynamic as it could be.
Skinner-Crosbie-Bayliss censored

Toonie has shown that when he wants a bit more bulk in the pack he'll pick a bulky 6 and put Mbawza at 7. I think there's an element of "He's the captain he's got to play". So having an out and out 7 who has experience of captaining Scotland means Mbawza doesn't "have to play" which is no bad thing.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 26 Jul 2023, 2:52 pm

Bayliss is a mobile 6/8 he's not played 7 since 20/21 season. He's light on his feet for nearly 17 stone. Probably not more than a squad player for Scotland though if a Fagerson or a Dempsey gets injured he might get a go.

https://youtu.be/TdmYOH2e458

formerly known as Sam

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 26 Jul 2023, 4:51 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Bayliss is a mobile 6/8 he's not played 7 since 20/21 season. He's light on his feet for nearly 17 stone. Probably not more than a squad player for Scotland though if a Fagerson or a Dempsey gets injured he might get a go.

Did he not fill in on the wing for Bath a couple of times this past season?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 26 Jul 2023, 7:01 pm

team announcement

https://youtu.be/89flqqudiHk

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Jul 2023, 10:22 pm

Just saw our Under 20s lost to Uruguay so won't be promoted back to the top world competition.

That's really not good!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 27 Jul 2023, 10:39 am

Crowley also looks like he is trying to sort out his squad with this fixture. Italy coming in a good way short of full strength as well.

15 Lorenzo PANI (Zebre Parma, esordiente)
14 Pierre BRUNO (Zebre Parma, 12 caps)
13 Tommaso MENONCELLO (Benetton Rugby, 10 caps)
12 Luca MORISI (svincolato, 44 caps)
11 Montanna IOANE (Lione, 17 caps)
10 Tommaso ALLAN (Perpignan, 71 caps)
9 Martin PAGE-RELO (Lione, esordiente)
8 Toa HALAFIHI (Benetton Rugby, 9 caps)
7 Manuel ZULIANI (Benetton Rugby, 10 caps)
6 Federico RUZZA (Benetton Rugby, 41 caps) - capitano
5 Andrea ZAMBONIN (Zebre Parma, 2 caps)
4 David SISI (Zebre Parma, 27 caps)
3 Pietro CECCARELLI (Perpignan, 26 caps)
2 Epalahame FAIVA (svincolato, 5 caps)
1 Federico ZANI (Benetton Rugby, 21 caps)

A disposizione

16 Marco MANFREDI (Zebre Parma, 1 cap)
17 Danilo FISCHETTI (Zebre Parma, 30 caps)
18 Filippo ALONGI (Benetton Rugby, 1 cap)
19 Edoardo IACHIZZI (Benetton Rugby, 5 caps)
20 Lorenzo CANNONE (Benetton Rugby, 8 caps)
21 Alessandro GARBISI (Benetton Rugby, 4 caps)
22 Giacomo DA RE (Benetton Rugby, 1 cap)
23 Federico MORI (Bayonne, 12 caps)

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 27 Jul 2023, 12:24 pm

Yep it’s concerning RDW. As usual it’s hard to really judge what’s going wrong from outside the SRU sanctum. Could someone potentially get sacked though? I wasn’t particularly impressed with the post match comments. A lot of excuses and deflection were given.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 27 Jul 2023, 2:24 pm

https://www.theoffsideline.com/scotland-italy-gregor-townsend-talking-points/

Good summary of Toonie's post announcement press conference yesterday, where he had lots to say, including about the U20s.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

RDW likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 27 Jul 2023, 3:18 pm

BigGee wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Bayliss is a mobile 6/8 he's not played 7 since 20/21 season. He's light on his feet for nearly 17 stone. Probably not more than a squad player for Scotland though if a Fagerson or a Dempsey gets injured he might get a go.

Did he not fill in on the wing for Bath a couple of times this past season?

I think he wore the 23 shirt but it was a French style 6-2 bench split numbering and he replaced backrow players rather than playing on the wing. Given his height and pace the crossfield option would have definitely been on.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 28 Jul 2023, 10:27 am

Just on a wee tangent.
I had resisted for as long as I could. I honestly felt that "walking rugby" was one of those sad, patronising, living death experiences that we get forced into as we get too old to do the things we used to enjoy.
However, last night I went along. It was fun. It was competitive and I worked up a sweat. I even got shouted at for running too fast, which after years of being the slowest winger in Essex was a novel experience.

Anyhoo, it appears that Italy have been averaging about 200 passes a match over the last year so the Scotland back row need to be very mobile.
However it seems that the Azzuri 12 seems to make about 5 passes per match and their 13 many, many more. So if 12 receives he runs hard and straight looking for quick recycled ball: when 13 gets it then it's moved on quickly to the back three.
So...Can Lord Stafford cope with a big 12 running straight at him all day? Does Cruella hate refugees?
Can Harris shut down the 13 channel quickly and stop the ball going wide. That could be the key.

jimbopip

RDW, George Carlin and bsando like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Fri 28 Jul 2023, 12:25 pm

Walking rugby Jimbo. I concur with your initial scepticism, and feel optimistic regarding your findings!
I too am now physically challenged due to disc and trapped nerve issues. But I am due cortisone injections in September, so maybe there is a wee glimmer of hope for me in the future. Fingers Crossed Fingers Crossed

I agree too about the centre pairings, but I still think that Tuipuloto/Jones are the real deal centre pairing for us. I have not given up on Redpath, and hopefully he will get some game time in the warm ups too.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 28 Jul 2023, 1:46 pm

Greetings from Melbourne! I've ventured south to the land of man buns and skinny almond mocha half white lattes to attend Bledisloe at the MCG. 

Sure, there's less riding on it than Scotland v Italy and I'll have to settle for Samu Kerevi Vs Jodie Barrett instead of seeing Stafford McDowell and some Italian bloke, but I knew I'd be making sacrifices in moving over here.

Jimbos got problems trying to keep up at walking touch but I've got to find somewhere for brunch tomorrow that does eggs and avo without dukkah and watercress on it.

RDW
Founder
Founder

sensisball, George Carlin, bsando and BigGee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 28 Jul 2023, 3:07 pm

RDW wrote:Greetings from Melbourne! I've ventured south to the land of man buns and skinny almond mocha half white lattes to attend Bledisloe at the MCG because it's Festival time in Luvvietoon and you can take the boy out of Luvvietoon but you can't take the MFL out of the boy. 

Jimbos got problems trying to keep up in most conversations TBH and not just at walking touch but I've got to find somewhere for brunch tomorrow that does eggs and avo without dukkah and watercress on it.

brunch? eggs and avo?? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Solids on an international weekend? That's a fine that is. Laugh

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 28 Jul 2023, 6:53 pm

RDW wrote:Greetings from Melbourne! I've ventured south to the land of man buns and skinny almond mocha half white lattes to attend Bledisloe at the MCG. 

Sure, there's less riding on it than Scotland v Italy and I'll have to settle for Samu Kerevi Vs Jodie Barrett instead of seeing Stafford McDowell and some Italian bloke, but I knew I'd be making sacrifices in moving over here.

Jimbos got problems trying to keep up at walking touch but I've got to find somewhere for brunch tomorrow that does eggs and avo without dukkah and watercress on it.
Love Melbourne. All of the hipster service that your heart could desire.

Although obviously you've changed RDW and you should be ashamed of yourself. Those heady days where a square slice in a floury bap, 18 pints of lukewarm McEwans urinewater, a dressage walk through horizontal rain, chips and cheese, a scuffed pair of Reebok Classics and a damn good thrashing was the only Friday night that you needed.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Next