The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland World Cup buildup

+45
Dollar Bill
Rugby Fan
BamBam
Recwatcher16
Pal Joey
Galted
Old Man
Boston Exile
R!skysports
Maine man
carpet baboon
Heaf
demosthenes
nlpnlp
Welshmushroom
Heuer27
Duty281
lostinwales
TheMildlyFranticLlama
the-goon2
Anglobraveheart
RiscaGame
mikey_dragon
Mcsweens
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
Oakdene
EWT Spoons
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
sensisball
jimbopip
king_carlos
No 7&1/2
Collapse2005
Hazel Sapling
bsando
TJ
George Carlin
BigGee
Tramptastic
RDW
NeilyBroon
Highland Shaun
49 posters

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Scotland World Cup buildup  - Page 9 Empty Scotland World Cup buildup

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 20 Mar 2023, 11:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Scotland v Italy
Saturday 29 July

Scotland v France
Saturday 5 August

France v Scotland
Saturday 12 August

Scotland v Georgia
Saturday 26 August

I think it's only fair to start another thread for this topic because I can see it being a popular topic in terms of discussion Smile.

First things first is that 3 wins from 5 and a 3rd place finish probably exceeded expectations because most would have said 2 wins and the 4th place win, the one that most would have called was England to beat us as they were at home so imho we certainly deserve enormous credit for that one because we played very well against an England team that also had their moments, in fact I could already see improvements from the Eddie Jones era during that game and until DVDM clinched it at the death, I was still pretty worried we wouldn't win so was understandably over the moon that we did win.

The Wales and Italy matches were mixed bags tbh but we did get 5pts from both which was crucial, the Welsh game we didn't really perform first half and were in fact fortunate to go in at half time ahead but second half we were excellent and deserved the bonus point win.  The Italy game was a mixed bag in terms of; we had patches where we did well and others where we were hanging on, such as the last 2mins, I also felt that in that game our top centre pairing of Huwipulotu were quiet in attack though DVDM was a bit more involved that he had been in the previous few weeks before.

The France game was bloody frustrating because we showed glimpses of how well we can play especially in the second half for large parts but we were guilty of missing key opportunities and indiscipline from the captain of all people was our undoing which is where the frustration comes because as fans, we expect our captain to know what the ref will tolerate in terms of backchat!

The Ireland game was a game of 2 halfs, in the first half we were going toe to toe with them, it was probably the best we've played against them in a very long time; second half was a completely different story, we basically just capitalutated and handed the game to them with basic errors and more stupid indiscipline.

In terms of the coach, I have made my feelings known and really hope that the situation is resolved by at least mid to late April as we really need clarity on the situation!

Finally, for the summer warm up matches I'd like to see fringe players like Cameron Henderson, Ben Healy, Stafford McDowall, Kyle Rowe and Ollie Smith get some game time to see what they can offer either at the world cup (unlikely) or next 6N in 2024 Smile.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Scotland World Cup buildup  - Page 9 Empty Re: Scotland World Cup buildup

Post by TJ Sun 06 Aug 2023, 5:03 pm

Hastings needs a good season of club rugby to stake his claim. I never saw in him what many of you did anyway.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 06 Aug 2023, 5:24 pm

Let's be honest, it was second string!

Not complaining though, they gave us a bloody good test and tbh should have won so plenty of work ons. I don't imagine there was that much drop in quality and definitely not in intensity. If that was the first French team though they'd have won or found a way to win when we had our tails up.

Looking forward to see how it plays out in France next week. Couldn't ask for a better warm up series, the SRU have done really well to negotiate with a good mix of teams.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sun 06 Aug 2023, 6:33 pm

There's good arguments both for going in fully loaded next Saturday, and playing a more experimental team. We could do with testing out the "Firsts" against top top flight opposition, but we definitely don't want any key injuries, and we need to keep the "Seconds" ready. Also the squad gets announced a week on Wednesday, so the France game Part Deux will be the last chance for the fringe players to stake a claim.

On balance I think Toonie will make 4 or 5 changes. I'd keep Finn at 10, change the centre combination and maybe bring in Smith, Horne, Dobie (on the bench) or Steyn.

Last edited by Mcsweens on Sun 06 Aug 2023, 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sun 06 Aug 2023, 6:39 pm

I know we've mentioned Hastings, but the full list of players "returned to club" is

Stafford McDowall, Adam Hastings, Cameron Henderson and Kyle Rowe

Shame about Rowe, there should always be room for at least 1 dodgy haircut.

There will now, barring injury or suspension, only be 4 players cut between now and next Wednesday.

Last edited by Mcsweens on Sun 06 Aug 2023, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mcsweens

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 06 Aug 2023, 6:57 pm

Darcy? Bad fade, peroxide and a very dodgy mustache

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sun 06 Aug 2023, 7:07 pm

TJ wrote:
Darcy?  Bad fade, peroxide and a very dodgy mustache

That's a good point. Quota filled. Kyle didn't stand a chance

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sun 06 Aug 2023, 7:23 pm

Duty281 wrote:TMO incorrect, they weren't playing penalty advantage at the time of that knock-on.

Don't think the TMO should have got involved at all. TMO protocol states:

"Where match officials believe a Clear and Obvious infringement may have occurred in the
immediate two phases of play leading to a try being scored, or in the preventing of a possible
try from being scored. In referrals classified as Formal Reviews, sections of Law that may be
checked within this period include: ...All Clear and Obvious knock-on or throw forward infringements within
two phases leading to a possible try."

Semantics maybe, but there were 3 clear rucks between the knock on and Kinghorn touching down. So that would make the knock on within 4 phases rather than 2? Humph!

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 07 Aug 2023, 6:42 am

So we're back to my strategy of claiming Irish heritage for a token slap on the wrist.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 07 Aug 2023, 7:00 am

I thought that strict " only go back 2 phases" has been removed from the laws?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Mon 07 Aug 2023, 7:43 am

TJ wrote:I thought that strict " only go back 2 phases" has been removed from the laws?

I don't know TJ, maybe. It was accurate from July 2022. I don't think there is a limit on phases for serious foul play. https://resources.world.rugby/worldrugby/document/2022/06/14/2a158fb7-ab69-4136-a4ef-ba4a5646e3a8/2022-TMO-protocol-Approved-by-Council-May-2022.pdf

Just think it would have been hilarious if Finn had started debating the TMO protocol to Ben Okeefe whilst it was under review. Also wanted Kinghorns try to stand after he glided past Dulin. Was quite the finish from the silky giraffe.

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Mon 07 Aug 2023, 7:46 am

George Carlin wrote:So we're back to my strategy of claiming Irish heritage for a token slap on the wrist.

He's a repeat offender, and he's not Jonny Sexton.

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 07 Aug 2023, 8:33 am

Do we now applaud Toonie for his man management of Finn?  I think Saturday was possibly the best and most mature performance ever from Finn.  He looks  made to be captain.  How much credit does toonie get for sticking his boot right up finns bahookie and finn for graciously removing it?   Doh angel

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 07 Aug 2023, 9:41 am

Morning peeps Hug

Well things are looking clearer on the final squad front.

Back three
Duhan-Blarehorn-ADHD seems to pick itself; Blarehorn's ability to fill in at 10 would allow a 6/2 bench. The question would be is Smith then taken as cover for all three?
Centres
Again, Shona-Shug, Redpath all look like certainties. The brow furrowing will be over Seaman or James McBrown. Seaman can cover all back three positions but the hardest working man in world rugby is still our best defensive 13. If Ollie Smith goes do we need Seaman covering the back three? If Harris is there as a 13 is there a place for Seaman? I think we'll see Redpath-Harris on Saturday with Seaman and Smith in the back three.
Just to add further confusion to our early morning addled brains: Healey can cover 15.However, it has occurred to me that not taking a third 10 means we can squeeze in both Seaman and Smith.
Outside half
Dancer and Healey, with Blarehorn as emergency cover. Please God, no.
Scrum half
Still up in the air; if White is Friar Tucked then the other three go. I get the feeling that the two who feature against France will be playing for the third spot. If White is out then we better hope Aldi Price rediscovers his mojo PDQ.
Back Row
Matt Fagerson has done enough to book his place and should be rested for the next two weeks. Ditto Rory Darge. Dempsey looked like he could use another run out. Mbawza will obviously be in the squad.  I think Crosbie, Baylissand Hamish will play against France with two spots up for grabs. Bayliss looks the safest of the three...which not many would have said a month ago.
Locks
Gray, Gilchrist, Cummings and Principal.
Props
Shooey, Sutherland, Bhatti
Sebastian, Nel, Walker with The Time Lord materialising after three or four weeks. Wlaker most likely to be "suffering a niggle".
Hooker
Cherry did himself a power of good in the second half. Toonie is heavily invested in Ashman. Could be goodbye Rambo.

So, On Saturday I DON'T expect to see

Shooey-Turner-Nel
Gray-Gilchrist
Fagerson-///-Darge
Hornito
Dancer
Shona-Shug
Duhan-Blarehorn-ADHD

So maybe a starting XV something like

Bhatti-Rambo-Seabastian  (Sutherland-Rambo-Walker)
Principal-Cummings           (Gilco)
Bayliss-Crosbie-Hamish      (Dempsey- Mbawza)

Price                                 (Dobie)
Healey                              (Blarehorn)
Redpath-Harris
Seaman-Smith-Duhan        

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 07 Aug 2023, 10:02 am

If its a 6:2 bench split then harris is super sub. He can play wing or centre. His defense is outstanding. Darcy can play FB

Smith should be in the squad tho for sure

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 07 Aug 2023, 10:58 am

Picked two Rambo's Jimbo.

This game is awkward for a team selection. Do you risk players being undercooked or getting injured having not played for three weeks before? I do think Townsend will want to wait until the last possible moment in case of injury and/or suspension. Think the deadline is 1 September and carrying four extra guys until then keeps them active in camp.

I am not too far off Jimbo' side. Just swapping tightheads to get the club combinations in place, changing the backrow and keeping Russell to give Redpath-Harris the same creative force that benefits Huwipolotu.

Bhatti - Turner - Walker (Sutherland - McInally - Sebastian)
Skinner - Cummings (Gilchrist)
Ritchie - Dempsey - Crosbie (Bayliss)

Price - Russell (Dobie - Kinghorn)
Redpath - Harris (H Jones)
VDM - Smith - Steyn

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 07 Aug 2023, 11:24 am

I'd play Healy at 10 in the next game - he is now number 2 I would say and needs time with the team

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 07 Aug 2023, 11:31 am

I went back and forth on it TJ. I ended up sticking with Russell as, realistically, Healy may not get on against SA and Ireland (particularly in a 6:2 bench and Kinghorn playing).

Healy gets the start against Georgia, a tough opponent and a similar level to Tonga.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon 07 Aug 2023, 11:38 am

So what I've heard is that Toonie is actually going full bhuna again for this match - he knows is starting 15, maybe wants to tinker with the bench a bit.

The thinking is that everything is building to that first match against SA. They want to win it and are specifically targeting it so he wants his 1st 1XV firing on all cylinders.

So with that being said I wouldnt envision too many changes.

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Mcsweens likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Mon 07 Aug 2023, 12:22 pm

I do wonder if Toonie is basically working in two separate blocks.

There are 5 weeks between South Africa and Ireland. It seems the idea has been to focus entirely on South Africa and then to move on to focus on Ireland through the Tonga and Romania games.

In terms of the game itself - it's nervy that it seems to take a jolt to get us going. The issue is that, perhaps more so than any other teams, when you go more than a score behind Ireland or South Africa then they choke you, eke out the mistakes and close the game down.

If you look at the rankings there is a top 4; Ireland, New Zealand, France, South Africa then there is clear water to us and then clear water to England.

If you look at our habit of letting teams get away. We did it against England and because they are not very good at the moment we were able to come back. We did it against France but because it was their second XV we were able to come back. We did it against New Zealand and lost the game but it was span well because it was New Zealand and we played well but ultimately we lost by more than a score. But we should have beaten NZ in that game. We did it to France in the Six Nations and played well for a period to come back into it but ultimately we lost by over a score. We let Ireland pull away in 2021 and then pulled them back but lost.

In short, whenever we play we have periods when we switch off and ship 10-20 points in quick succession. When we do it against teams outside that big 4 then we come back into the game. It won't work against South Africa or Ireland. I am not hugely fussed about the result on Saturday but what I would like to see is a constant performance over 80 minutes. I don't think South Africa have seemed that good thus far but they are still South Africa. They certainly don't need any help from us to win!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon 07 Aug 2023, 12:30 pm

Im hoping South Africa contrive to play Willemse at 10 for the scotland game. I genuinely think we'd beat them if that were the case.

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Mon 07 Aug 2023, 12:58 pm

Depends really - if we play as we did in the first half then South Africa could put out the 97 team and still beat us.

If we hit the groove that we did in the second then I'd be confident we can beat anyone in world rugby.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 07 Aug 2023, 2:07 pm

Tramptastic wrote:So what I've heard is that Toonie is actually going full bhuna again for this match - he knows is starting 15, maybe wants to tinker with the bench a bit.

T

Against Les Coq Au Vin? Goodness gracious me! drumroll

I'll get my coat.

jimbopip

Tramptastic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 07 Aug 2023, 2:31 pm

Relax - Uncle Grumpy has this covered:
An Irishman Called English wrote:
Gregor Townsend: Scotland boss awaits Fagerson hearing amid World Cup injury worry

By Tom English
BBC Scotland
Last updated on 6 August 2023.

A World Cup build-up is not a World Cup build-up without some sort of trepidation, some event or other that brings on the fear. Usually it's concern about an injury. Other times it can be fear of suspension. For Scotland on Saturday, it was both.

The encouraging news is that though Ben White went off early with a troublesome ankle in the thriller against France, the word is that he should be fine for the World Cup. The less-than-encouraging news is that Zander Fagerson is in bother following his red card for a head-on-head with Pierre Bourgarit, the La Rochelle hooker. It was Fagerson's second red card in just over two years and the fifth red card in this fixture in just over three years.

So Scotland are now heading to a place where they'd rather not be. Not Saint-Etienne, where they'll play a fully loaded France on Saturday evening - that'll be hard enough - but to a disciplinary hearing where they'll face a panel sitting in judgment of Fagerson, which, in a sense, could be even harder.

We'll get to that, but we'll get to the rugby first. Scotland made it two wins from two in the summer series, which is now five wins from seven in 2023. They were blown away by France for 40 minutes and then blew France away for the second 40 when they played with a ferocity and ruthlessness despite having only 14 men for much of it.

To finish one half losing 21-3 and to win the new half 22-0 with a numerical disadvantage underlies the twin personalities of this team. They can do things that only the very best teams in the world can do. They scored 10 points in seven minutes to beat England. They outscored France in Paris 21-6 in a brilliant 42-minute spell. And now they've scored 22 unanswered points in one half.

They also do things that the very best teams in the world would rarely do. Falling 19-0 down in Paris, for one. Falling 21-3 down in their own place, for another. There is a seriously good rugby side in there trying to get out, but you wonder if they'll ever find the consistency required to become proper contenders against the biggest beasts.

Throwing it forward, South Africa won't exactly be panicking ahead of their World Cup opener against the Scots in Marseille, but they'll be wary. There is an element of madness and unpredictability about Scotland in full flight that will focus their minds. The Boks will, no doubt, try to batter Gregor Townsend's team into submission and the odds are that brute force will probably win the day in the end.

But what if Scotland turn it on, as they did in the second half on Saturday and as they did for an outstanding spell in Paris and as they did at various points at Twickenham? What if they play with an abandon and take their chances? Peak Scotland, with the backline in sync, are good enough and crazy enough to beat South Africa and South Africa probably know it.

They're also capable of being three scores behind at the break and dead to the world. Scotland came back from an 18-point deficit against France and won, but it was a warm-up game. Give South Africa an 18-point lead in Marseille when everything is on the line and there's no comeback. It just wouldn't happen.

The business with Fagerson is now a major fight for Scotland. Losing him for the South Africa game is a real possibility and, as such, it's a sleepless night situation for Townsend and his coaches.

Fagerson is Scotland's best tighthead by a country mile. Not flawless, not without a high penalty count at times, not without a red card already on his record, against Wales two years ago, for a similar offence to the one he was guilty of against France.

But he's still the best. The most dynamic, the most powerful. Tighthead for Scotland is like a food cupboard in a student flat - pretty bare. WP Nel is a wonder of science, but at 37 his nous is most useful when coming off the bench for the last quarter. The only other two tightheads are Murphy Walker and Javan Sebastian. You don't want to face the Boks with an inexperienced front-row player in your 23. The world champions tend to hunt rookie props like they're disorientated wildebeests in the Northern Cape.

So Fagerson's disciplinary hearing on Tuesday is a game within a game that the Scotland management really need to win. And it's complex. We don't yet know what law he'll be charged under. If the panel see his offence on the low end then he'll most likely get a two-game suspension, which would put him in the clear for the Boks.

If the panel deem his actions to be more serious, he enters the mid-range and could be looking at six games. Will Scotland enter a guilty plea while laying on the remorse with a trowel in the hope for clemency - or will they fight it, citing low-speed collision, low force, low degree of danger in the hope of escaping a ban altogether?

The name of Juan Cruz Mallia is likely to come up at some stage, He was the Puma who clattered into the Springbok, Grant Williams, in the opening seconds of a Rugby Championship last month. Williams was knocked out cold. Mallia was found guilty of reckless play "with a high degree of danger that had a considerable impact on the victim player". He got a two-week suspension.

Mallia had a clean record, though. Fagerson doesn't, following that red against Wales in 2021. Best case scenario is probably a three-game suspension reduced to two because of contrition and a willingness to spend time in tackle school. Fagerson would take that deal all day long. But will he get it? Tuesday's hearing is a big moment for Scotland's World Cup aspirations.

They need a result in the disciplinary room and they need to get home from France without any more tremors on the injury front. It promises to be a long and stressful week.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 07 Aug 2023, 3:20 pm

I really feel for Scotland. They have been better than England in the last couple of seasons. But given the nature of the early draw they really have a crappie draw.

I just don't see any scenario where Scotland can afford to lose the first game to S.Africa.

I'll have my fingers crossed for you in that opener as I like the way Scotland are trying to play.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon 07 Aug 2023, 3:36 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:I really feel for Scotland.  They have been better than England in the last couple of seasons.  But given the nature of the early draw they really have a crappie draw.

I just don't see any scenario where Scotland can afford to lose the first game to S.Africa.

I'll have my fingers crossed for you in that opener as I like the way Scotland are trying to play.

There could be a scenario where the top 3 sides beat each each other in that pool.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 07 Aug 2023, 3:42 pm

In our last seven games we have been behind at half time in five of them.
In our last seven games we have outscored the opposition in the second half.

You win some you lose some.

OR

Just go out imagining you're 19 points down and play the way you can. Play for 80 minutes of course.

jimbopip

Tramptastic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 07 Aug 2023, 5:43 pm

The other issue for all the teams in Scotlands pool is all games ( bar perhaps Romania) will be tough games. It will be attritional and any team coming out of that pool will have had to expend more energy, play their first choice players more and risk more injuries that any team in the bottom half of the draw

TJ

sensisball likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Mon 07 Aug 2023, 7:02 pm

jimbopip wrote:
Tramptastic wrote:So what I've heard is that Toonie is actually going full bhuna again for this match - he knows is starting 15, maybe wants to tinker with the bench a bit.

T

Against Les Coq Au Vin? Goodness gracious me! drumroll

I'll get my coat.

Coq au vin? Is that an offshoot of Fake Taxi?

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 07 Aug 2023, 8:30 pm

Oakdene wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:I really feel for Scotland.  They have been better than England in the last couple of seasons.  But given the nature of the early draw they really have a crappie draw.

There could be a scenario where the top 3 sides beat each each other in that pool.

This is my fear. We beat SA but SA beat Ireland and we go out on bonus point difference.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 07 Aug 2023, 8:41 pm

tigertattie wrote:
Oakdene wrote:

This is my fear. We beat SA but SA beat Ireland and we go out on bonus point difference.

That would be such a Scottish thing!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Tue 08 Aug 2023, 11:00 am

if you cast your mind back to 2015, Japan beat SA, SA beat Scotland and Scotland beat Japan.

Japan lost out on bonus points/points difference

So, we could beat SA, SA could beat Ireland and Ireland could beat us and we'd still lose on BP or PD

and then theres Tonga who have Charles Piatau, Fekitoa and Folau who will absolutely scalp a top dog in the group.

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Aug 2023, 11:22 am

That is the ridiculous thing - we could beat Ireland or SA (which will be one of the best ever results on Scottish rugby history) and still not get out the group.

And of we then did somehow get out, we'll have New Zealand or France for company! Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 08 Aug 2023, 11:30 am

I have a sneaky feeling that we'll beat SA, lose to Tonga and then be up against it against Ireland.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Tue 08 Aug 2023, 12:06 pm

123456789. wrote:I have a sneaky feeling that we'll beat SA, lose to Tonga and then be up against it against Ireland.

The only thing with this is the schedule is quite kind to us.

Theres a 2 week gap between SA and tonga so we can go full noise for both games. Then its a six day turnaround to romania so thats when the squad gets rotated before a full week until Ireland.

Ireland on the other hand have a week gap between Tonga and South Africa, thats going to be painful on the bodies and then a week later they play Scotland. Thats not a kind schedule for the irish who, while they may win both of those may be totally knackered by the time they play Scotland.

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 08 Aug 2023, 3:23 pm

123456789. wrote:I have a sneaky feeling that we'll beat SA, lose to Tonga and then be up against it against Ireland.

I think Scotland are going to beat SA too. Scotland's harlem globetrotter style of play is the perfect antidote to this SA side who are going to the RWC without stalwarts AM, De Jager and Pollard.

Win or lose SA will likely play an exciting game plan as it is likely that Libbok or Willemse will start at out half. Could be a cracker.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Tue 08 Aug 2023, 3:34 pm

Tramptastic wrote:if you cast your mind back to 2015, Japan beat SA, SA beat Scotland and Scotland beat Japan.

Japan lost out on bonus points/points difference

So, we could beat SA, SA could beat Ireland and Ireland could beat us and we'd still lose on BP or PD

and then theres Tonga who have Charles Piatau, Fekitoa and Folau who will absolutely scalp a top dog in the group.

And our 2 Tongan's Fifita & Louisi

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Tue 08 Aug 2023, 3:45 pm

Boks squad announced today. 3 big players missing: Pollard, Am and De Jager.
.All are unavailable due to injury, or in the case of De Jager, illness ( don't know what it is)

Pollard and Am, in particular, are massive losses for SA.
Both were amongst the best, and most influential, players in their world cup run in 2019.

Jesse Kriel, a perennial substitute, is the only outside centre in the Boks squad.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 08 Aug 2023, 4:14 pm

They also only have one true 10 Libbok, with Willemse and Le Roux covering 10. Weirdly they have brought 4 scrum halves too.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Tue 08 Aug 2023, 4:49 pm

No Pollard, no Am, Willemse is the back up 10???

oh boy, that... that feels like hope and it HURTS

Tramptastic

bsando and jimbopip like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Tue 08 Aug 2023, 7:44 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:They also only have one true 10 Libbok, with Willemse and Le Roux covering 10. Weirdly they have brought 4 scrum halves too.

This is Rassie. He's not to be trusted.
What are the chances that one of the scrum-halfs mysteriously drops out 3 days before kick off, to be replaced by a miraculously rejuvenated Pollard or Am.
My tinfoil hat is ON.

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 08 Aug 2023, 7:51 pm

Pollard and Am are massive losses. Pollard just puts teams in the right places and Am is the type of destructive centre that Scotland can’t cope with.

So it’s looking possible that we will beat SA

And then go out on points difference……….
tigertattie
tigertattie

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Tue 08 Aug 2023, 8:25 pm

Haven’t seen any update from Zander Fagerson’s disciplinary hearing, has there been an update?

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Aug 2023, 10:23 pm

Fagerson banned for 3 weeks and will miss the SA game.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Tue 08 Aug 2023, 10:25 pm

Heuer27 wrote:Haven’t seen any update from Zander Fagerson’s disciplinary hearing, has there been an update?

Zander banned for 2 games only if he undergoes a "Coaching Intervention Programme".

Mcsweens

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 08 Aug 2023, 10:28 pm

That's a big relief, though in all honesty, 2 weeks seems about right when you compare it to other offences

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Aug 2023, 10:28 pm

Mcsweens wrote:
Heuer27 wrote:Haven’t seen any update from Zander Fagerson’s disciplinary hearing, has there been an update?

Zander banned for 2 games only if he undergoes a "Coaching Intervention Programme".

I missed that bit - they snuck it in at the end in a very understated way. 

Summer Nations Series:
12 August 2023 France v Scotland
26 August 2023 Scotland v Georgia
Rugby World Cup
10 August 2023 Scotland v South Africa 

The Player will take part in the Coaching Intervention Programme to substitute the final match of his/her sanction for a coaching intervention aimed at modifying specific techniques and technical issues that contributed to the foul play.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 08 Aug 2023, 10:30 pm

3 game ban definitely seems appropriate.

The tackle school thing is nonsense though but I'll take it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 08 Aug 2023, 10:32 pm

RDW wrote:3 game ban definitely seems appropriate.

The tackle school thing is nonsense though but I'll take it!

Exactly, everyone else uses it, even Owen Farrell!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 08 Aug 2023, 10:49 pm

Must have taken the good biscuits after all.

The panel must be seriously leaning towards leniency this close to the word cup.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 08 Aug 2023, 10:52 pm

In another bit of good news, Scotland 7s (effectively an u18 team) won gold at the Commonwealth Youth games, beating Fiji no less, in the final.

We must still have a few decent young pkayers in the pipeline.

A lot of those players should filter into the Futures team in the Super 6 when they return and have hsd a rest.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Mcsweens likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next