The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland World Cup buildup

+45
Dollar Bill
Rugby Fan
BamBam
Recwatcher16
Pal Joey
Galted
Old Man
Boston Exile
R!skysports
Maine man
carpet baboon
Heaf
demosthenes
nlpnlp
Welshmushroom
Heuer27
Duty281
lostinwales
TheMildlyFranticLlama
the-goon2
Anglobraveheart
RiscaGame
mikey_dragon
Mcsweens
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
Oakdene
EWT Spoons
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
sensisball
jimbopip
king_carlos
No 7&1/2
Collapse2005
Hazel Sapling
bsando
TJ
George Carlin
BigGee
Tramptastic
RDW
NeilyBroon
Highland Shaun
49 posters

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

Scotland World Cup buildup  - Page 8 Empty Scotland World Cup buildup

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 20 Mar 2023, 11:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Scotland v Italy
Saturday 29 July

Scotland v France
Saturday 5 August

France v Scotland
Saturday 12 August

Scotland v Georgia
Saturday 26 August

I think it's only fair to start another thread for this topic because I can see it being a popular topic in terms of discussion Smile.

First things first is that 3 wins from 5 and a 3rd place finish probably exceeded expectations because most would have said 2 wins and the 4th place win, the one that most would have called was England to beat us as they were at home so imho we certainly deserve enormous credit for that one because we played very well against an England team that also had their moments, in fact I could already see improvements from the Eddie Jones era during that game and until DVDM clinched it at the death, I was still pretty worried we wouldn't win so was understandably over the moon that we did win.

The Wales and Italy matches were mixed bags tbh but we did get 5pts from both which was crucial, the Welsh game we didn't really perform first half and were in fact fortunate to go in at half time ahead but second half we were excellent and deserved the bonus point win.  The Italy game was a mixed bag in terms of; we had patches where we did well and others where we were hanging on, such as the last 2mins, I also felt that in that game our top centre pairing of Huwipulotu were quiet in attack though DVDM was a bit more involved that he had been in the previous few weeks before.

The France game was bloody frustrating because we showed glimpses of how well we can play especially in the second half for large parts but we were guilty of missing key opportunities and indiscipline from the captain of all people was our undoing which is where the frustration comes because as fans, we expect our captain to know what the ref will tolerate in terms of backchat!

The Ireland game was a game of 2 halfs, in the first half we were going toe to toe with them, it was probably the best we've played against them in a very long time; second half was a completely different story, we basically just capitalutated and handed the game to them with basic errors and more stupid indiscipline.

In terms of the coach, I have made my feelings known and really hope that the situation is resolved by at least mid to late April as we really need clarity on the situation!

Finally, for the summer warm up matches I'd like to see fringe players like Cameron Henderson, Ben Healy, Stafford McDowall, Kyle Rowe and Ollie Smith get some game time to see what they can offer either at the world cup (unlikely) or next 6N in 2024 Smile.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Scotland World Cup buildup  - Page 8 Empty Re: Scotland World Cup buildup

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:16 pm

I've not missed the Bryan Habana ads.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:17 pm

Well.... on the bright side... this is perfect preparation for the Boks and Ireland matches. The France defence is suffocating us. The constant pressure on our lineout is preventing us building any attacking momentum. Their counterattack are clinical.
Toonie needs to earn his wages right now by tweaking a couple of things and the team responding to them.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:21 pm

Bit lucky in the initial rolling from Graham after the tackle but at least it keeps it interesting.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:32 pm

This bunker review is silly. Just look at it now and assess whether it's red or yellow.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:32 pm

So this new review. Is this done by a separate tmo or does it mean no ones checking the game up until he's back?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:33 pm

If the Fagerson yellow becomes red, that would not be good. That was a shot to the noggin.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:34 pm

It was dangerous - I get that, and that is the most important thing. We had the tackle off the ball at the end of that move which is effectively forgotten about

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:35 pm

Looks like someone put a little jet fuel in their water bottles after the pen.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:37 pm

Was that whole process really less disruptive to the game than just reviewing and deciding on the spot? I’m not convinced

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:37 pm

That last angle shows how stupid he was.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:38 pm

So what advantage is there of reviewing a yellow/red card this way, over the old system? Just felt like no one had an issue with the old way it was done.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:38 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:Was that whole process really less disruptive to the game than just reviewing and deciding on the spot? I’m not convinced
Agree, no real benefit.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:39 pm

The annoying thing is he’s done this before. Twát.

I’d play Nel and Berghan in the World Cup as we’ll struggle in all our games with 14 men on the field.

Utter shame as we’ve come right back into this and now it’s Going to be tough.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:40 pm

Duty281 wrote:So what advantage is there of reviewing a yellow/red card this way, over the old system? Just felt like no one had an issue with the old way it was done.

It's felt that it will avoid mistakes like the Steward red vs Ireland...but ignores the fact that it takes away 2 or 3 other officials who have the chance to discuss.

Last edited by No 7&1/2 on Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

No 7&1/2

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:40 pm

Scotland are playing like the Harlem Globetrotters, Kinghorn is some baller!

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:43 pm

What was said to Finn at half time? He was ok in the first half but in this second half he's playing like a man possessed.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:45 pm

TMO incorrect, they weren't playing penalty advantage at the time of that knock-on.

Duty281

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:50 pm

Duty281 wrote:TMO incorrect, they weren't playing penalty advantage at the time of that knock-on.

Looked that way to me as well. Ref didn't seem convinced either.

More Scottish points seems inevitable at this point.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 05 Aug 2023, 4:52 pm

Well the tmo is having a mixed game. Correcting some missed calls but yeah that knock on was before the pen.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcsweens Sat 05 Aug 2023, 5:03 pm

Have enjoyed listening to Yannick Nyanga on commentary

Mcsweens

sensisball, George Carlin, bsando, NeilyBroon and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 05 Aug 2023, 5:05 pm

Mcsweens wrote:Have enjoyed listening to Yannick Nyanga on commentary

Agreed, nice to have people who know what they’re talking about as pundits!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 05 Aug 2023, 5:12 pm

Well that was a hard fought win

Think Zander has demoted himself to the bench. His instructions will be when going on to tackle and scrum but don’t do anything silly.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 05 Aug 2023, 5:13 pm

Some confusing tactics from France at the end. They decide for a scrum after a penalty and win another penalty from it. Instead of scrumming again, they opt for a lineout and take on Scotland's strong maul defence. Then they fail to go wide in possession. Wouldn't have known it was France that were the man up.

Very good comeback from Scotland. Game of two halves. Would have been a bigger margin if not for the red.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 05 Aug 2023, 5:13 pm

Missed most of that, got to the pub and Scotland were down a man and in the lead with 2 mins to go. Good win, you can’t ask for more against the French.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 05 Aug 2023, 5:16 pm

Duty281 wrote:So what advantage is there of reviewing a yellow/red card this way, over the old system? Just felt like no one had an issue with the old way it was done.

Saves time. gives the 5th official 10 mins to review. I'm in favour

TJ

Poorfour and NeilyBroon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 05 Aug 2023, 5:17 pm

We can take a lot of positive from how we managed to turn that around, but Barclay is right if we give Ireland or SA that sort of lead in the first half we’ll give ourselves too much of a mountain to climb. Still work to be done then, but got to be happy with the 2nd half showing and result.

One problem we’re going to have now is making sure Kinghorn gets time at 15 for Edinburgh with a certain Mr Boffelli also in the squad

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 05 Aug 2023, 5:18 pm

It was a proper game of two halves.

Wee hornito made a difference
Redpath distributed well (worried that Tuipulotu was a one season wonder)
Applause to big R Gray for another 80 min performance.

Dunno if this was an inspired half time team talk from Gregor or if Finn went off script in the second half again. Excuse the pun but right now it’s us who are the box of frogs. You just don’t know what we’re going to do or how we’re going to play.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 05 Aug 2023, 5:21 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Well the tmo is having a mixed game. Correcting some missed calls but yeah that knock on was before the pen.

there was an earlier advantage but in the middle of the field. 2 advantages in that passage.

TMO should have carded the french 14 for the swinging arm on the falling Ben White. 2other hightackles missed as well. I'm sure a french fan will see things missed that they should have got. It all evens out

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 05 Aug 2023, 5:24 pm

TJ wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Well the tmo is having a mixed game. Correcting some missed calls but yeah that knock on was before the pen.

there was an earlier advantage but in the middle of the field.  2 advantages in that passage.

TMO should have carded the french 14 for the swinging arm on the falling Ben White.  2other hightackles missed as well.  I'm sure a french fan will see things missed that they should have got.  It all evens out

Oh yeah the French lost because of themselves.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 05 Aug 2023, 5:32 pm

TJ wrote:

there was an earlier advantage but in the middle of the field.  2 advantages in that passage.

TMO should have carded the french 14 for the swinging arm on the falling Ben White.  2other hightackles missed as well.  I'm sure a french fan will see things missed that they should have got.  It all evens out

Just checked back as well. You're wrong. Scrum from Scotland out to the knock on then the pen for holding on.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sat 05 Aug 2023, 5:46 pm

Think the nature of the win disguises that we handed a substantial lead to France B. It felt in the first half that the forward were playing not to be injured rather than to win.

Gilchrist and Dempsey were poor and the starting front row really struggled to impose themselves in the loose in the first half. Our scrum was good but our attacking line-out remains too inconsistent. The maul defence was a highlight for me, thought we were excellent.

Zander was dumb but not sure how that was a red and the swinging arm from the France 14 was a penalty only. Zander's was worse but the degree of danger between the two was not that wide. Hopefully it is a two week ban as we really need him for SA.

If we can play like we did in the second half for 80 minutes, SA and Ireland are in trouble. Our forwards had impetus and it created space for Kinghorn and Graham who were both excellent. If we play like the first half for 20-30 minutes, we will be too far behind for it to matter

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 05 Aug 2023, 5:52 pm

Well that was dull as ditchwater. Predictable as seeing tigertattie waiting for Greggs to open.
The only interesting moments were the decision to kick the penalties for the first and last points. Very sensible decisions made by Captain Sensible clap
Hornito did well but his box kicks are even shorter than he is.
Matt Fagerson put in a heck of a defensive shift.
The lineout defence was much improved in the second half.
Redpath probably shoved Stafford off the bus.
The forward replacements all made a case for themselves. Hamish will have nightmares about Rory Darge getting over that last ruck and coming up with the 7 jersey in his hands.

ADHD Kid, Matt F, Dancer, Darge, Doohie, Blarehorn can sit out the next two games.

jimbopip

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 05 Aug 2023, 5:52 pm

Well that was dull as ditchwater. Predictable as seeing tigertattie waiting for Greggs to open.
The only interesting moments were the decision to kick the penalties for the first and last points. Very sensible decisions made by Captain Sensible clap
Hornito did well but his box kicks are even shorter than he is.
Matt Fagerson put in a heck of a defensive shift.
The lineout defence was much improved in the second half.
Redpath probably shoved Stafford off the bus.
The forward replacements all made a case for themselves. Hamish will have nightmares about Rory Darge getting over that last ruck and coming up with the 7 jersey in his hands.

ADHD Kid, Matt F, Dancer, Darge, Doohie, Blarehorn can sit out the next two games.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 05 Aug 2023, 6:55 pm

Well I certainly did not see that coming at HT.

Good atmosphere at Murrayfield today, the crowd really got benind the team I thought.

Crazy old game though, but good to see we are a hard side to put away. I guess you got to remember that for most of those players, it was their first game as well.

Next week will be different gravy though

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 06 Aug 2023, 12:52 am

Watched highlights of the first half then the full second half. Great to come back and get the win but not ideal we went so far behind in the first place.

Fagerson red was definitely a red but for me it was at the low end of severity. He has had a red for this previously though so he'll be lucky to escape anything less than a 3 match ban. He gave away a couple of stupid penalties too before that which he's.prone to do. One of the key moments of the match was when Nel held up the scrum down to 7 men when the French didn't hook - they tried a second shove but didn't get anywhere. Nel is still a beast!

I liked the impact off the bench and that's going to be so important for the big pool games. You need to survive the first 50 minute onslaught from Ireland and SA and use your bench to make a difference. Darge makes great impact off the bench which may suggest Ritchie will start at 7 then move across to 6 when he comes on.

Finn probably had the most sensible match I've ever seen and did well with the ref. Maybe making him captain is a masterstroke of a decision!

Kinghorn and Darcy were outstanding and are so dangerous out wide. Darcy just gets involved in everything and we're a much less threatening team without him.

Good to get the win but concerns over the White injury and Fagerson red. Brutal test to come next week!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 06 Aug 2023, 7:16 am

The more I think about it, the less the Fagerson red bothers me. It's like when big Jim used to play and get us in unnecessary fights. I think Zander is too much of a penalty liability and as you said RDW Nel still has it (maybe not for 80 though!). Even if we lose Zander for SA I'm not sure whether it'll impact our ability to win or increase the likelihood we'll lose. Sebastian did well enough that I wouldn't be overly concerned with him on the bench.

That being said do we have enough space in the squad for 3 tightheads? That'd be my only concern because we definitely need two for SA!!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 06 Aug 2023, 7:47 am

His first penalty was so stupid - taking a player out past the ruck. That should never happen from an international level player. The 2nd was hon flopping over the ruck.

The red itself was also from him being a bit lazy and not getting into a good position.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 06 Aug 2023, 7:56 am

It's a shame really because he'd be a world class player if he wasn't so daft. It is the one aspect of his game that is so poor and unfortunately the one aspect that actually has the most impact!

Also really concerned about our lineout. That will definitely lose us games, we're lucky it didn't this time around but Ireland certainly will be looking forward to taking advantage.

On a brighter note agree with the sentiments that kinghorn was great, perhaps Hogg holding the jersey even out of form was enough time for kinghorn to come of age, and whatever we think about his stint at 10 it's definitely given him a more rounded awareness of the game!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 06 Aug 2023, 8:13 am

I am happy with king Blairhorn being given that time at 10 - apart from anything else it means we have a backup should Finn the king of flash gits be injured and means we do not need a specialist 10 on the bench.

a 6:2 split on the bench means a 9 and a utility back - Harris could be our supersub

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 06 Aug 2023, 8:19 am

Oh forgot to say - would love to see Redpath get a proper go from the start. He looks a bit lost coming on with 20 minutes left as it's hard to get yourself into the game.

He looks in great shape too - he looks an absolute unit now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 06 Aug 2023, 11:05 am

RDW wrote:Weird seeing a Scotland v France game without Mohamed Haouas and Jamie Ritchie's face.

Where are the red cards going to come from!
Our stupid tighthead prop, apparently. picard
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

RDW and TJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 06 Aug 2023, 11:33 am

The Time Lord really fecced us for the Boks match. picard

We have WP who can't possibly last more than 40 against the Boks (45 max against any other top tier side).
Javan Sebastian who looks a decent prop, in the WP mould, but is very inexperienced at international level.
Murphy Walker who is barely more than a single cell embryo in prop terms.

I wouldn't like to be Ragnar this morning...I bet more than one of his teammates threw their Full Scottish at him if he dared show his face at breakfast.

jimbopip

NeilyBroon and TJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 06 Aug 2023, 11:44 am

I dunno I think having someone else (Javan) mark a claim on tighthead will be the rocket up zanders that he needs. He may not be experienced at international but he's had a good amount of time at club. Ultimately it's a professional sport and he will be playing guys he's played at club level, I'm confident he can step up in Ragnar's absence.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 06 Aug 2023, 12:24 pm

Zander will likely get a 4 or 5 week ban. He’s done it before so being nice biscuits to the hearing won’t work. Plus I’m sure they still do them on zoom anyway.

France (in Paris) and the Georgia are perfect games to try other props out. Zander could find he’s surplus to requirements. He may be “the best scrummager” we have but I’d rather play with 15
tigertattie
tigertattie

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 06 Aug 2023, 12:30 pm

tigertattie wrote:Zander will likely get a 4 or 5 week ban. He’s done it before so being nice biscuits to the hearing won’t work. Plus I’m sure they still do them on zoom anyway.

France (in Paris) and the Georgia are perfect games to try other props out. Zander could find he’s surplus to requirements. He may be “the best scrummager” we have but I’d rather play with 15

Agreed. Like chuckles before him, he suffers from too many rushes of blood to the head to the teams detriment. If you're going to play close to the line be smart about it, don't make your team take penalty after penalty. Even if he's not carded he contributes at least one or two stupid penalties a game, which if you consider the good games we've won we've kept the penalty count generally below 10, is not good enough.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 06 Aug 2023, 12:37 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Zander will likely get a 4 or 5 week ban. He’s done it before so being nice biscuits to the hearing won’t work. Plus I’m sure they still do them on zoom anyway.

Agreed. Like chuckles before him, he suffers from too many rushes of blood to the head to the teams detriment. If you're going to play close to the line be smart about it, don't make your team take penalty after penalty. Even if he's not carded he contributes at least one or two stupid penalties a game, which if you consider the good games we've won we've kept the penalty count generally below 10, is not good enough.

4 penalties he got yesterday. And that’s with only playing just over half a game. The Shoe had 0, nel had one (at scrum time). Hell even GG who many bemoan about giving them away only gave away 1.

So the entire front row and their replacements gave away 5 penalties the whole match and 4 of them were Zander. That’s simply not good enough. Best scrummager or not, that liability cannot be taken to World Cup games.

tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 06 Aug 2023, 1:57 pm

Great performance yesterday … in the second half. The impact from the bench was a really big positive I thought. Redpath once again looked very sharp and was noticeably involved at the breakdown. Darge to me is looking a lot better than Watson on current form. Horne did well coming on early for White and let’s hope he isn’t out for too long. That may open the door for Dobie. A gréât test overall for the team.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 06 Aug 2023, 1:59 pm

I was going to say what about gilcrest - he is also a stupid penalty machine that has cost us games

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 06 Aug 2023, 3:41 pm

So Hastings has been dropped meaning Healy is presumably confirmed as back up FH. Shame for Hastings but he's had a lot of down time the last couple of years. Bit of bad luck with an immovable incumbent combined with a toonie weirdness project in Kinghorn. Now Healy is on the scene it's hard to see him forcing his way in to future squads barring injury, unless he wins the prem with Gloucester.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 06 Aug 2023, 4:54 pm

Love those press reports in the mainstream rugby press.

It didn't take most until the second paragraph to ram home that this was "a second string French side" or somesuch. Can't let us enjoy a victory eh, lads?

Zander should mention at the disciplinary committee that he once shook hands with Jonathan Sexton. That should be the association he needs to commute his naughty step time. Run
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next