The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24

+31
Maine man
Mr Bounce
Highland Shaun
broadlandboy
doctor_grey
RiscaGame
Margin_Walker
carpet baboon
Collapse2005
Pete330v2
Lowlandbrit
Welshmushroom
LeinsterFan4life
Recwatcher16
propdavid_london
BigGee
TAFKA The Oracle
Hazel Sapling
Rugby Fan
WELL-PAST-IT
mikey_dragon
Oakdene
lostinwales
Geordie
king_carlos
geoff999rugby
Fluxy
George Carlin
No 7&1/2
formerly known as Sam
Sgt_Pooly
35 posters

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24 - Page 17 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 14 Aug 2023, 5:22 am

First topic message reminder :

I need rumours.....and I need them now!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24 - Page 17 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 23 Jul 2024, 10:43 am

Geordie wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Martin Moloney formerly of Leinster is on trial at Exeter Chiefs.

Looks like Ollie Devoto is going to sign for Nat League 2 West side Taunton Titans where he'll be a player coach. Apparently he wasn't keen on moving out of the South West.

A my cousins son plays for them.

Getting to play with a Prem player still in his prime will certainly help their side, be a good experience.

formerly known as Sam

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24 - Page 17 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 23 Jul 2024, 8:20 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Martin Moloney formerly of Leinster is on trial at Exeter Chiefs.

Looks like Ollie Devoto is going to sign for Nat League 2 West side Taunton Titans where he'll be a player coach. Apparently he wasn't keen on moving out of the South West.
Moloney is a great prospect and impressed any time he played for Leinster. I'm hoping to see him thrive abroad.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 25 Jul 2024, 9:44 am

Guy Porter has apparently retired on the quiet and taken a finance job down in London. Given he missed most of last season with concussion it's probably a safe move.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 25 Jul 2024, 11:27 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Guy Porter has apparently retired on the quiet and taken a finance job down in London. Given he missed most of last season with concussion it's probably a safe move.

A real shame if so, but likely the safe call in those circumstances.

The value that Guy will have given on that first Tigers contract was insane. He signed from Sydney Uni and rapidly established himself as a starter in the team which won the Prem. A consistent bright light in those early years. He was such fun to watch after Tiger had been in the doldrums for a while. Just a bundle of energy and very dynamic in contact.

I was really curious to see what position he ended up in longer term had he returned to Super Rugby. Inside centre suited his hard carrying better than outside centre IMO. He never quite seemed as comfortable with the defensive aspects of 13. Whilst I thought he could've been an excellent winger in a Jack Nowell sort of role. He was powerful enough to break tackles when one on one with many wingers but could also come inside looking for work, making yards off 9.

All the best to him if true.

king_carlos

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 26 Jul 2024, 3:24 pm

Alan Dickens joins Newcastle Falcons as a senior coach helping to oversee attack and defence. Apparently he was Tigers attack coach last season which is funny because he wasn't seen after the PRC campaign and the club were formally silent on his status for most of the season. Only confirming a new attack coach towards the end of the season.

Hope he and Falcons have more look than the abject disaster he was at Tigers

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 26 Jul 2024, 7:02 pm

Saints have signed Nathan Langdon, brother of Curtis. Not in the same league at the moment but Nathan is a bit younger, it will be interesting to see how he comes on, especially with Curtis and Smith potentially away on international duties. It only leaves Wright and ???.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 26 Jul 2024, 7:59 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Alan Dickens joins Newcastle Falcons as a senior coach helping to oversee attack and defence. Apparently he was Tigers attack coach last season which is funny because he wasn't seen after the PRC campaign and the club were formally silent on his status for most of the season. Only confirming a new attack coach towards the end of the season.

Yeah some one posted on the falcons posts that erm....he might have been employed but wasn't the attack and backs coach and wasn't seen at all after a certain point.

We shall see.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 26 Jul 2024, 8:53 pm

Geordie wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Alan Dickens joins Newcastle Falcons as a senior coach helping to oversee attack and defence. Apparently he was Tigers attack coach last season which is funny because he wasn't seen after the PRC campaign and the club were formally silent on his status for most of the season. Only confirming a new attack coach towards the end of the season.

Yeah some one posted on the falcons posts that erm....he might have been employed but wasn't the attack and backs coach and wasn't seen at all after a certain point.  

We shall see.

I'll preface this with that the strong rumour was that he was placed under investigation by the RFU for an allegation made during his time with the under 20s, that Dickens strongly denied. Tigers placed him on paid leave until a resolution was reached. This more than irked Dickens. He was eventually proved to be innocent but not until several months after being placed on leave. Tigers were happy for him to return, Dickens was not. Didn't feel he'd had the backing of the club and wasn't going to return, handed his notice in. Finished out his contract on gardening leave.

Tigers attack looked promising early doors but that was during the PRC so who knows. It was pish when the league started and Dickens was absent.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 27 Jul 2024, 6:33 am

Is that right? Wow didn't know that Sam..thanks for the info.

Could be another good move by Diamond then.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 27 Jul 2024, 7:41 am

Geordie wrote:Is that right? Wow didn't know that Sam..thanks for the info.

Could be another good move by Diamond then.

Those were the rumours.

Tbh I've no idea how good a coach he was as the England under 20s under his remit were fine without being exceptional despite having some good talent. At Tigers winning the PRC games doesn't really indicate a great deal.

For Diamond he's getting a senior coach with plenty of experience who's out of a job through disagreement rather than failure. Plus Falcons won't have had to pay to get him out of a contract which is always a win.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 27 Jul 2024, 9:08 am

Plus he's experienced Sam. Something we need....we've gone the route of inexperienced coaches for a while and to be fair it hasn't worked.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 28 Jul 2024, 4:55 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Guy Porter has apparently retired on the quiet and taken a finance job down in London. Given he missed most of last season with concussion it's probably a safe move.

Discussing why he opted to retire, having previously signed to play for the Western Force in Australia in Super Rugby Pacific, Porter admitted that the aftereffects of his injury had prompted him to reevaluate end his career.

Porter told RugbyDump: “I had a particularly long-term injury from November which I struggled to get back from. I spoke to a few doctors and neurologists along the recovery journey and tried to work it out in my head, but ultimately, I’d decided that I’d pushed it as far as I’d like to.

“It was bound to have an impact on my approach to the game, and I only really enjoyed it if I was willing to put my head in the spokes. As soon as I felt like I didn’t have the desire to do that I realised it was probably time to move on while I was still feeling positive about it.

“I finished my contract and in the context of all that, I just decided not to look for anything else because I felt like the ongoing risk outweighed my desire to continue.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2024/07/28/ex-england-centre-guy-porter-retire-27-concussion-fears/

Rugby Fan

lostinwales and formerly known as Sam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 29 Jul 2024, 12:58 pm

Sad to see another player go due to concussion but glad he made the right decision.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Wed 31 Jul 2024, 11:44 am

Leigh Halfpenny signs for Harlequins.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 31 Jul 2024, 5:07 pm

Harlequins also sign Wyn Jones from the Scarlets.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 31 Jul 2024, 9:18 pm

If Wyn Jones comes good again at Quins then the WRU need to stop sitting on their heads, get Adam Jones and maybe Danny Wilson too into a coaching role. They’re a million times better than the current shambles.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Thu 01 Aug 2024, 8:47 am

Halfpenny and Wyn Jones strike me as luxury signings, i.e. if a team has the luxury of sufficient budget to take a punt on two injury prone older players, without fear that they may not see much of them. I'm sure there will be outrage that Welsh regions didn't go in for them but the reality is that they would be too risky when budgets are so tight. I've thought about both for the Dragons but was against it as I reckon we would only get a couple of games out of them and the rest would be spent in rehab, sadly. And their salaries could be used to get maybe 4 younger players who would be able to contribute more.

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 01 Aug 2024, 9:43 am

Halfpenny an odd signing for me. He was superb at his best, not the best attacking 15 but so reliable and a fantastic kicking game.
Now though he is so injury prone.
Apparently reason was Green only recognised 15 for Quins but shame they didn't bring through a young player.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 01 Aug 2024, 10:53 am

I doubt that 1/2P will have cost much at all. It feels a lot like Tigers taking a punt on Mike Brown. If it comes off, you might get a solid squad player for a decent price. If not, he won't take up much cap space for one season. Plus 1/2P is a fantastic goal kicker of course.

Wyn Jones feels like the bizarre one when you've got Marler and Baxter already. Jones was a quality LH at his best but has been a long way from that for a while. Maybe the WRU's financial mire and his poor form meant they've scooped a bargain?

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 01 Aug 2024, 10:55 am

Quins also have Nick David as an option at 15 they could have also moved Evans back there.

Realistically they are short on numbers with Murley out injured and Lynagh gone and not replaced. They do have some youngsters but any more injuries could see them really down to the bare bones and using flyhalfs at 15 to cover or exposing multiple youngsters. Halfpenny will add a lot off the pitch and can add some experienced cover on it as required. Quins will be looking for Cleeves to breakthrough this year, Slevin could also come through as a 15 (Halfpenny being a handy mentor for him).

The Quins backroom staff should know both of the Welsh acquisitions so makes sense for them to bring them in and known quantities that can cover squad positions pretty cheap as both were left without a club.

Wyn Jones is a terrific punt. He's a reliable third choice for rotation and the minimal international overlap period. Out of favour over in Wales and struggling for form but at his best was international quality. A Jones gets anything like that out of him then he's a bargain and Quins have three quality looseheads. If not then he's a squad player on squad player money I'd imagine.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 01 Aug 2024, 10:56 am

king_carlos wrote:I doubt that 1/2P will have cost much at all. It feels a lot like Tigers taking a punt on Mike Brown. If it comes off, you might get a solid squad player for a decent price. If not, he won't take up much cap space for one season. Plus 1/2P is a fantastic goal kicker of course.

Wyn Jones feels like the bizarre one when you've got Marler and Baxter already. Jones was a quality LH at his best but has been a long way from that for a while. Maybe the WRU's financial mire and his poor form meant they've scooped a bargain?

Injury replacements for Marler and Murley I'm now seeing from a usually very well informed poster on a Tigers forum. Presumably both long term if so. A real shame for them. Marler likely hasn't got that much rugby left. Whilst Murley is a quality player.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 01 Aug 2024, 11:56 am

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:Halfpenny and Wyn Jones strike me as luxury signings, i.e. if a team has the luxury of sufficient budget to take a punt on two injury prone older players, without fear that they may not see much of them.  I'm sure there will be outrage that Welsh regions didn't go in for them but the reality is that they would be too risky when budgets are so tight.  I've thought about both for the Dragons but was against it as I reckon we would only get a couple of games out of them and the rest would be spent in rehab, sadly.  And their salaries could be used to get maybe 4 younger players who would be able to contribute more.

With my Regional hat on I think its a good think these two will be playing outside of Wales. Both have poor injury records. My view with regional rugby has always been we should be keeping hold of future internationals over former ones. It's not like Wales can't call on former players outside of Wales in most cases if they have the caps and the high salary expectations can be picked up by someone else. Regional rugby should have a duty however to have kept hold on to guys who likely will have a major roll for Wales at international level. That would be guys like Griffin, Jenkins, Tshiunza, Hawkins, Llewellyn, Hathaway, Dillon Lewis, Reffell & Carre.

I would have happily seen the older guys who likely will never make it to the next world cup to substitute these transfers like Gareth Davies, Faletau, Owen Williams, Tipuric etc. Its not because these guys dont have major value but it makes more sense to keep hold of younger players so you can limit game time and have access for training etc.

Plus I always feel that former international can benefit from overseas moves and see how other countries do it which would help if any of them transitioned to coaching.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 01 Aug 2024, 12:08 pm

Is it the same injury for Murley or a different one?

Nick David has always impressed me ...quality player.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 01 Aug 2024, 12:10 pm

Speaking to some Scarlets fans, Wyn Jones is still decent and can cover both sides of the scrum quite well. They still aren’t sure what went on; either he fell out with management or his knees have gone were the rumours. I guess we’ll find out next season.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 01 Aug 2024, 12:25 pm

The extent and particularly the length of Marlers injury could be an interesting one from an England point of view...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 01 Aug 2024, 2:16 pm

Geordie wrote:The extent and particularly the length of Marlers injury could be an interesting one from an England point of view...

Genge should be back so that'll take most of the sting out of it. Obano not being banned and Baxter looking a massive prospect would give us 3 good options going into the AIs.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Thu 01 Aug 2024, 2:20 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:
TAFKA The Oracle wrote:Halfpenny and Wyn Jones strike me as luxury signings, i.e. if a team has the luxury of sufficient budget to take a punt on two injury prone older players, without fear that they may not see much of them.  I'm sure there will be outrage that Welsh regions didn't go in for them but the reality is that they would be too risky when budgets are so tight.  I've thought about both for the Dragons but was against it as I reckon we would only get a couple of games out of them and the rest would be spent in rehab, sadly.  And their salaries could be used to get maybe 4 younger players who would be able to contribute more.

With my Regional hat on I think its a good think these two will be playing outside of Wales.  Both have poor injury records.  My view with regional rugby has always been we should be keeping hold of future internationals over former ones.  It's not like Wales can't call on former players outside of Wales in most cases if they have the caps and the high salary expectations can be picked up by someone else.  Regional rugby should have a duty however to have kept hold on to guys who likely will have a major roll for Wales at international level.  That would be guys like Griffin, Jenkins, Tshiunza, Hawkins, Llewellyn, Hathaway, Dillon Lewis, Reffell & Carre.  

I would have happily seen the older guys who likely will never make it to the next world cup to substitute these transfers like Gareth Davies, Faletau, Owen Williams, Tipuric etc.  Its not because these guys dont have major value but it makes more sense to keep hold of younger players so you can limit game time and have access for training etc.

Plus I always feel that former international can benefit from overseas moves and see how other countries do it which would help if any of them transitioned to coaching.  

Not sure why someone disliked your post? You make some perfectly valid points!

Agree with most of that. But I don’t think you can assume that the ‘old timers’ would have been offered contracts. The likes of Exeter probably like the young Welsh players as they are relatively cheap early in their careers and less injury prone. Plus, the older they are sometimes the more ties they have to home……so as much as it might be good to see Gareth Davies, for example, move away, he might not want to or be able to! Whereas the younger ones can be enticed away with offers of premiership rugby, better wages (possibly), education, etc. at a time in their lives when they want to and are able to spread their wings a bit.

Last edited by TAFKA The Oracle on Fri 02 Aug 2024, 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 01 Aug 2024, 2:50 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Geordie wrote:The extent and particularly the length of Marlers injury could be an interesting one from an England point of view...

Genge should be back so that'll take most of the sting out of it. Obano not being banned and Baxter looking a massive prospect would give us 3 good options going into the AIs.

Yeah...
I want to see Genge come back as a man with a mission to be the best...really hit his peak form for England. Obano..i want to see him performing as he did last season...staying injury free and no cards to hinder him.

Baxter will have benefitted massively from that tour...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 01 Aug 2024, 3:43 pm

Looks like it is being reported that the Scarlets are signing Holz. Deal is back on by all accounts.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 01 Aug 2024, 6:04 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:Looks like it is being reported that the Scarlets are signing Holz.  Deal is back on by all accounts.  

From the Tahs? I imagine the Tahs are more open to letting him leave now that Tupou is confirmed as joining.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 01 Aug 2024, 6:10 pm

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:

With my Regional hat on I think its a good think these two will be playing outside of Wales.  Both have poor injury records.  My view with regional rugby has always been we should be keeping hold of future internationals over former ones.  It's not like Wales can't call on former players outside of Wales in most cases if they have the caps and the high salary expectations can be picked up by someone else.  Regional rugby should have a duty however to have kept hold on to guys who likely will have a major roll for Wales at international level.  That would be guys like Griffin, Jenkins, Tshiunza, Hawkins, Llewellyn, Hathaway, Dillon Lewis, Reffell & Carre.  

I would have happily seen the older guys who likely will never make it to the next world cup to substitute these transfers like Gareth Davies, Faletau, Owen Williams, Tipuric etc.  Its not because these guys dont have major value but it makes more sense to keep hold of younger players so you can limit game time and have access for training etc.

Not sure what someone disliked your post? You make some perfectly valid points!

Agree with most of that. But I don’t think you can assume that the ‘old timers’ would have been offered contracts. The likes of Exeter probably like the young Welsh players as they are relatively cheap early in their careers and less injury prone. Plus, the older they are sometimes the more ties they have to home……so as much as it might be good to see Gareth Davies, for example, move away, he might not want to or be able to! Whereas the younger ones can be enticed away with offers of premiership rugby, better wages (possibly), education, etc. at a time in their lives when they want to and are able to spread their wings a bit.

I'm not the one that disliked it but it's not always a case of the regions keeping hold of the young talent.

Tommy Reffell joined Tigers at 15. Daffyd Jenkins was at Hartbury when he made the choice to head South to Devon not really in a Welsh catchment area there in Gloucestershire. Not necessarily easy to keep those guys that are out the door before the academy process really kicks in.

The ones like Tshiunza though, he left to attend uni down in Devon. Surely Cardiff where he was in the academy could have worked with the Uni there to offer him something.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 02 Aug 2024, 1:30 pm

Scott joins Edinburgh on a 1 year deal. Elsewhere Coenie Oosthuizen retires from the Sharks and Kolisi is not happy at Racing and is looking for an exit back to Sharks.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 03 Aug 2024, 12:26 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:

I think most Welsh fans at least will be aware but Halfpenny missed most of the Crusaders season by exacerbating the torn pectoral he sustained at the end of the previous European season. He must be a huge injury risk and I presume has been bought to help bring on the younger players with any actual first team gameline a bonus. He was an outstanding player but I would imagine that he's as prone to break down this season as Stuart Hogg will be.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 03 Aug 2024, 6:14 pm

George Carlin wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:

I think most Welsh fans at least will be aware but Halfpenny missed most of the Crusaders season by exacerbating the torn pectoral he sustained at the end of the previous European season. He must be a huge injury risk and I presume has been bought to help bring on the younger players with any actual first team gameline a bonus. He was an outstanding player but I would imagine that he's as prone to break down this season as Stuart Hogg will be.

Quins haven't replaced Lynagh so are short a winger and looking to promote from the academy/use some of their centres as cover. An injury to Murley means they could do with an experienced back three option to cover. He could possibly give them an alternative option at 15 in tighter games towards the end of the season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 16 Aug 2024, 11:35 am

Ben Volavola rumoured to Tigers on a one year deal.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 16 Aug 2024, 3:19 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:Scott joins Edinburgh on a 1 year deal.  Elsewhere Coenie Oosthuizen retires from the Sharks and Kolisi is not happy at Racing and is looking for an exit back to Sharks.
Mr. Kolisi would look great wearing Black, Green, and Gold.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 20 Aug 2024, 10:50 am

Kasende, Boshoff and Fortuin (wing, centre, fly-half) from Cheetahs to Ospreys. Ospreys' backline has been atrocious at times, it can be painful to watch Watkin and their back 3. At least they finally seem to realise it!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 20 Aug 2024, 5:18 pm

Exeter sign;
Tamati Tua (Centre)
Kwenzo Blose (LH Prop)P

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 20 Aug 2024, 5:22 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Kasende, Boshoff and Fortuin (wing, centre, fly-half) from Cheetahs to Ospreys. Ospreys' backline has been atrocious at times, it can be painful to watch Watkin and their back 3. At least they finally seem to realise it!

Did the first two play for the Ospreys last season on loan?

Might be temporary stop gaps for the Ospreys but three no -WQ backs doesn't help the national team much.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Tue 20 Aug 2024, 9:29 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Kasende, Boshoff and Fortuin (wing, centre, fly-half) from Cheetahs to Ospreys. Ospreys' backline has been atrocious at times, it can be painful to watch Watkin and their back 3. At least they finally seem to realise it!

Might be temporary stop gaps for the Ospreys but three no -WQ backs doesn't help the national team much.

I think only Kasende is permanent. The other two are loans, with Boshoff already having been on loan previously. I agree it’s not great for Welsh rugby, but it’s due to the partnership between Ospreys and Cheetahs which sees players going both ways to gain experience. A ‘player development partnership’, they’ve called it. Something to do with having shared owners. 4 Ospreys players went to Cheetahs in April. These were young/fringe players I think.

Last edited by TAFKA The Oracle on Thu 22 Aug 2024, 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 21 Aug 2024, 9:17 am

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:

I think only Kasende is permanent. The other two are loans, with Boshoff already having been on loan previously. I agree it’s not great for Welsh rugby, but it’s due to the partnership between Ospreys and Cheetahs which sees players going both ways to gain experience. A ‘players development partnership’, they’ve called it. Something to do with having shared owners. 4 Ospreys players went to Cheetahs in April. These were young/fringe players I think.

Now players going back and forth for experience could be good in the long run, young Welsh guys getting a very different experience in South Africa could well be good for their development.

formerly known as Sam

TAFKA The Oracle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 21 Aug 2024, 10:58 am

TAFKA The Oracle wrote:

I think only Kasende is permanent. The other two are loans, with Boshoff already having been on loan previously. I agree it’s not great for Welsh rugby, but it’s due to the partnership between Ospreys and Cheetahs which sees players going both ways to gain experience. A ‘players development partnership’, they’ve called it. Something to do with having shared owners. 4 Ospreys players went to Cheetahs in April. These were young/fringe players I think.

Now players going back and forth for experience could be good in the long run, young Welsh guys getting a very different experience in South Africa could well be good for their development.

Yes they were on loan, now Kasende is permanent. The other two for next season are also just on loan. As said, I believe the Ospreys owners also have a share in Cheetahs, hence the relationship.

Agree that is could be good for the development of Ospreys players. Also, if it keeps Owen Watkin and Luke Morgan out of the team then it's great for Welsh Rugby, especially the national team.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 21 Aug 2024, 11:00 am

As a side note, is Osian Thomas expected to breakthrough at Leicester? I know Tigers have some good depth in the back 5 of their pack now.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 21 Aug 2024, 11:44 am

mikey_dragon wrote:As a side note, is Osian Thomas expected to breakthrough at Leicester? I know Tigers have some good depth in the back 5 of their pack now.

Not this season, at a push next season. Best he can hope for is PRC game time. He'll probably go on loan to either Leicester Lions in the national leagues or Loughborough University to play BUCS, maybe Nottingham Trent to play in the second tier of BUCS then work his way up.

There's a logjam of locks and blindsides ahead of him on Chessum Jnr (former England under 20 captain), Carnduff (England under 20 captain), T Manz (who's spent last two seasons on loan at Notts and is a big unit hampered by injury when coming out the academy), J Manz (big all round backrow who looked very good in last year's PRC before blowing his knee out). There's also the former Boks under 20 player of the season Beets joining as a 6/8 but he'll probably play 8 full time and so not be a blocker.

Both Thomas and Beddall are rated highly by the club though so I'd expect them to be brought through over time. Rogerson, Hatherall and Cracknell are all expected to be out of contract next summer and some or all could be moved on to make room for youngsters if required. With Reffell and Ilione at 7 there's home-grown options for Beddall to overcome there as well.

formerly known as Sam

mikey_dragon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 21 Aug 2024, 1:31 pm

Sam Talakai joins Glasgow. Another Tighthead on their books. Up to 4 now. They are well stocked at prop for next season.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 28 Aug 2024, 11:35 am

Has Charlie Ngatai left Leinster? I don't see any actual news on him being confirmed as leaving but hes not showing on Leinsters Squad on their website or their wiki page. There was a article that seemed to suggest he would be going as the NIQ place needed to be freed up for Barrett.

If he has gone anyone know who he signed for?

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17