The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread

+30
hugehandoff
George Carlin
Recwatcher16
Tramptastic
Lowlandbrit
TJ
BigGee
bsando
king_carlos
propdavid_london
RiscaGame
TAFKA The Oracle
carpet baboon
mikey_dragon
Duty281
dummy_half
Poorfour
nlpnlp
Mr Bounce
lostinwales
Cumbrian
doctor_grey
Yoda
formerly known as Sam
WELL-PAST-IT
Margin_Walker
Rugby Fan
mountain man
No 7&1/2
Geordie
34 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread - Page 14 Empty Re: England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread

Post by Geordie Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:57 am

First topic message reminder :

2 tries for Hartley at 12 .

Fdjour decent first scrum then missed some tackles etc.
Sales two wingers Reed and Roebuck were very impressive....

Bath v Cardiff now...lots of potential England options here.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread - Page 14 Empty Re: England Getting Four Wins in the Six Nations - A New Thread

Post by lostinwales Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:08 am

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Smith (M) at 15 and Smith (F) at FH. Could be fun although it almost guarantees Daly/Steward on the wings

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:24 am

Roebuck was excellent at the weekend.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:37 am

Both Smiths appearing in the top 5 points scorers for the Champios Cup.

Ramos 55.
M Smith 51
Hastoy 49
F Smith 47
Le Garrec 41.

You'd have to say that some of the top individual performances have been given to us by English qualified players so far.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:52 am

I would think at this point Marcus deserves the start and Fin comes on later. Someone had suggested (don't recall where I saw or who said it) it would be interesting to pair Care with Marcus and Mitchell with Fin. Not sure if that is needed, but more likely to be fun for a while.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:54 am

Id be gping with Marcus now for this 6n...but I was wondering if SB will go with the club route of Mitchell and Fin....and Fin is probably more of a SB 10...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:03 am

I see Feyi Waboso qualifies through grandparents rule..his paternal grandmother was born on Gloucester.

Meh...awful rule. He's Welsh as can be...should be on Wales...but the Welsh HQ messed up totally.

Geordie

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:41 am

gordie - England have been poaching Scots as well!

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:45 am

TJ wrote:gordie - England have been poaching Scots as well!

This is going to turn into one of those stupid arguments when we go on to ask you who we have supposed to have poached from the Scots and you'll come out with some rubbish about a guy who was born and brought up in England but with Scottish parents.

To which the only responsible argument will be to mention the 100% English lad (whose name escapes me right now) who was capped based on being born North of the border when his dad was briefly posted there as part of his military career.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:36 pm

So your going to say Roebuck are you?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:30 pm

If you qualify you qualify. It's all good.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:38 pm

lostinwales wrote:

This is going to turn into one of those stupid arguments when we go on to ask you who we have supposed to have poached from the Scots and you'll come out with some rubbish about a guy who was born and brought up in England but with Scottish parents.

To which the only responsible argument will be to mention the 100% English lad (whose name escapes me right now) who was capped based on being born North of the border when his dad was briefly posted there as part of his military career.

The one I remember was Budge Pountney, who played for and captained Scotland on the basis that his family always maintained that one grandad was Scottish. Until it turned out that he wasn’t, and Budge had to stand down until he’d qualified on residency.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:44 pm

Budge Pountney qualified on grounds that he had a grandmother from the channel islands and therefore can pick any one of the home nations IIRC

It was just a tease - there are a bunch of guys who can qualify for either Scotland or England - some chose Scotland some England, Fin Smith we were hoping to get but he picked England. Cam Redpath we got Ruaridh McConnochie is another - Scots name and qualifies for Scotland etc etc

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:50 pm

Poorfour wrote:The one I remember was Budge Pountney, who played for and captained Scotland on the basis that his family always maintained that one grandad was Scottish. Until it turned out that he wasn’t, and Budge had to stand down until he’d qualified on residency.
Pountney had no Scottish grandparents. It was a Channel Islands connection. If you have CI or Isle of Man parents or grandparents, then you are eligible for all the Home Unions. He always played for Saints, so never qualified on residency grounds.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:53 pm

personally I think qualification should be tighter and that the rule that allows someone to change allegiance after 3 years without a cap should only be from tier one to tier two nations.

Residence qualification should be based on age ie 3 years if under 18 when moved 5 years if older

This would reduce Scotlands pool of players mind you

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:02 pm

Geordie wrote:I see Feyi Waboso qualifies through grandparents rule..his paternal grandmother was born on Gloucester.  

Meh...awful rule. He's Welsh as can be...should be on Wales...but the Welsh HQ messed up totally.

Grannygate with Feyi-Waboso eh, glad that's finally cleared up!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:02 pm

Poorfour wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

The one I remember was Budge Pountney, who played for and captained Scotland on the basis that his family always maintained that one grandad was Scottish. Until it turned out that he wasn’t, and Budge had to stand down until he’d qualified on residency.

That was Dave Hilton, the Bristol Butcher.

After he stood down, he did actually move up to Scotland and re-qualify on residence. Playing for Scotland meant a lot to him and I think he genuinely beleived his grandfather was Scots born.

No-one was checking to carefully back then, there were a few Welsh players as well if I remember who also qualified erroneously.

After that I imagine, some paper proof was required and not word of mouth.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

sensisball and Poorfour like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:12 pm

I am still annoyed the last 5Ns wasn't given to England as a grand slam though.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:41 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Geordie wrote:I see Feyi Waboso qualifies through grandparents rule..his paternal grandmother was born on Gloucester.  

Welsh really shouldnt throw stones to be fair....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:02 pm

Geordie wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

Welsh really shouldnt throw stones to be fair....

What, we've never done anything of the sort...

mikey_dragon

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:05 pm

lostinwales wrote:

Are you thinking of Tom Heathcote ?? Came through the Bath academy and was considered to be as talented as George Ford but he didn't get the game time and he was born near Inverness as his father was in the RAF and briefly based there.
Andy Robinson picked up on it and turned his head with a Scottish cap and as no longer EQ left Bath and got a contract at I think Edinburgh, which didn't seem to work out. Ended up at Worcester and left the game early still in his twenties. A talent wasted.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:29 pm

Recwatcher16 wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

Are you thinking of Tom Heathcote ?? Came through the Bath academy and was considered to be as talented as George Ford but he didn't get the game time and he was born near Inverness as his father was in the RAF and briefly based there.
Andy Robinson picked up on it and turned his head with a Scottish cap and as no longer EQ left Bath and got a contract at I think Edinburgh, which didn't seem to work out. Ended up at Worcester and left the game early still in his twenties.  A talent wasted.

That's the one. Cheers.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:30 pm

Ah back on the eligibility treadmill, that's makes a nice change.

Until law changed to make it can only play for nation through parent and eliminate residency completely this will go on and on and on.

We can all quote dozens of examples of he/she shouldnt play for X but basically it is what it is. Players and teams will make decisions based on who they can get and what's best for career.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:57 pm

Recwatcher16 wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

Andy Robinson picked up on it and turned his head with a Scottish cap and as no longer EQ left Bath and got a contract at I think Edinburgh, which didn't seem to work out. Ended up at Worcester and left the game early still in his twenties.  A talent wasted.

I think it was unfortunately repeated concussions that took him out of the game.

To say a talent wasted is a bit strong I think. He was just very unlucky with injuries and did not fulfill his potential.

You could say the same of a lot of promising young players.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:04 pm

BigGee wrote:
Recwatcher16 wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

I think it was unfortunately repeated concussions that took him out of the game.

To say a talent wasted is a bit strong I think. He was just very unlucky with injuries and did not fulfill his potential.

You could say the same of a lot of promising young players.

It is easy to forget how important just plain luck and the kind of hidden genetics that impact how people deal with stuff like head injuries are in forging a career.

Add in factors such as when players physically, develop, who is scouting for talent, what teams are looking for (size vs speed/other skills is the oft heard one), how well players fit into the environment they end up in etc. It's easy to see that many people with genuine potential will never make it.

A nephew of mine did get onto the books of a football club but was smart enough to realise that the chances of actually making it were not great and that trying (at that time) would mean missing out of a lot of education, so he gave up on that and is now an educational psychologist.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:13 pm

Talking of concussion, it seems one of the main reasons Harry Mallinder is trying out as an NFL kicker is that he suffered a bad knock and couldn't turn out for his new club in Japan. His Black Rams contract ended last spring.

He was something of a mystery man in Japan, as I don't think he made a single appearance in two seasons.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:01 am

England A have an upcoming clash with Portugal. Just wondering but who are the three SQ players in that squad?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:11 am

lostinwales wrote:

It is easy to forget how important just plain luck and the kind of hidden genetics that impact how people deal with stuff like head injuries are in forging a career.

Add in factors such as when players physically, develop, who is scouting for talent, what teams are looking for (size vs speed/other skills is the oft heard one), how well players fit into the environment they end up in etc. It's easy to see that many people with genuine potential will never make it.

A nephew of mine did get onto the books of a football club but was smart enough to realise that the chances of actually making it were not great and that trying (at that time) would mean missing out of a lot of education, so he gave up on that and is now an educational psychologist.

My daughter has a friend who was going through an academy programme and picked up a bad knee injury. As part of the treatment they identified an underlying genetic condition that made future injuries more likely. They can address it, but only with some fairly serious surgery that will mean 3 years out of the game.

The roster of players who could have been greats but for the wrong injury or illness at the wrong time is long and sometimes tragic.
Poorfour
Poorfour

doctor_grey and lostinwales like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:21 am

Rugby Fan wrote:Talking of concussion, it seems one of the main reasons Harry Mallinder is trying out as an NFL kicker is that he suffered a bad knock and couldn't turn out for his new club in Japan. His Black Rams contract ended last spring.

He was something of a mystery man in Japan, as I don't think he made a single appearance in two seasons.

I'd wondered what happened there. Yep, he made zero appearances to my knowledge. A shame to add a head knock to his other injury issues though. He never really recovered from the shoulder injury, after which he had such an obvious issue tackling on that side. Be it physical, psychological, or both.

A Saints fan I used to play club rugby alongside in Edinburgh made the interesting suggestion that Mallinder after that injury might have been the least physical defender he'd seen pound for pound. He's a massive bloke and incredible athlete but tackled like early Chris Ashton after that shoulder injury.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:13 am

king_carlos wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:Talking of concussion, it seems one of the main reasons Harry Mallinder is trying out as an NFL kicker is that he suffered a bad knock and couldn't turn out for his new club in Japan. His Black Rams contract ended last spring.

I'd wondered what happened there. Yep, he made zero appearances to my knowledge. A shame to add a head knock to his other injury issues though. He never really recovered from the shoulder injury, after which he had such an obvious issue tackling on that side. Be it physical, psychological, or both.

A Saints fan I used to play club rugby alongside in Edinburgh made the interesting suggestion that Mallinder after that injury might have been the least physical defender he'd seen pound for pound. He's a massive bloke and incredible athlete but tackled like early Chris Ashton after that shoulder injury.
That's a heck of an insult, mate! My older daughter tackled better than early Chris Ashton when she was six. Of course, she had two younger brothers to throw around.

Harry is such a shame. Such great potential but really tough injuries. He always had a strong kick so hopefully finds his place. And makes some decent $$$ at the same time.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:39 am

Saw Prince Harry in a U20 game vs Scotland a few years back. Playing at FH he was the biggest guy on the pitch.

England centres that day were Marchant and Williams (now of Wales)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:51 am

lostinwales wrote:Saw Prince Harry in a U20 game vs Scotland a few years back. Playing at FH he was the biggest guy on the pitch.

That squad had a lot of lauded players in it, but I remember that Marchant was the one the rest of the team looked to when they got into difficulty, and he usually delivered. He created some amazing scores out of nothing
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:59 am

Poorfour wrote:
lostinwales wrote:Saw Prince Harry in a U20 game vs Scotland a few years back. Playing at FH he was the biggest guy on the pitch.

That squad had a lot of lauded players in it, but I remember that Marchant was the one the rest of the team looked to when they  got into difficulty, and he usually delivered. He created some amazing scores out of nothing

Theo Brophy-Clewes, Ollie Thorley, Max Malins, Matt Gallagher the backline was pretty good. Some of the forwards weren't bad either, Evans, Singleton, Mercer for instance.

Shame TBC had to retire so young and Mallinder was so regularly broken. Mallinder never looked like a flyhalf, it was like we played with three centres the interplay between the three was good and they did compliment each other well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:02 am

Beard, Lawrence and LCD out. Ojomoh,Muir and Blamire in.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:03 am

Muir for me is an average verging to good winger at club level. He shouldn't be near this squad with wingers like Radwan around.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:10 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Beard, Lawrence and LCD out. Ojomoh,Muir and Blamire in.

Lawrence will be a loss. Doesn't seem to be any news as to what the problem is as yet.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:13 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Poorfour wrote:

That squad had a lot of lauded players in it, but I remember that Marchant was the one the rest of the team looked to when they  got into difficulty, and he usually delivered. He created some amazing scores out of nothing

Theo Brophy-Clewes, Ollie Thorley, Max Malins, Matt Gallagher the backline was pretty good. Some of the forwards weren't bad either, Evans, Singleton, Mercer for instance.

Shame TBC had to retire so young and Mallinder was so regularly broken. Mallinder never looked like a flyhalf, it was like we played with three centres the interplay between the three was good and they did compliment each other well.

I checked out the Scotland squad on the day. Had the likes of Kinghorn, Scott Cummings, and Jamie Richie. The whole Scotland team was very poor that day. They were beaten 44-0

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:33 am

Lawrence is a blow with Manu already out. It will be a back line with very few carriers. That could open up a big ol' opportunity for Dingwall at 12 though.

Langdon already being below current LCD was odd to me. Missing out to Blamire as well is even odder.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:35 am

Has Langdon been cleared following his red?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:43 am

Sounds like a:

Mitchell
Smith
Dingwall
Freeman

Backline, not sure which Smith though.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:49 am

Slade still lurks in the squad.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:25 am

Lawrence out would be a big loss. That said, it pretty much opens the door for Dingwall as mentioned above.

I think Muir is simply there to make up the numbers and has only a slightly better chance than me of making the match day 23. As said, he's a good club player but not really good enough for an International.

I expect we'll see Dingwall and Slade.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:52 am

Mr Bounce wrote:Lawrence out would be a big loss. That said, it pretty much opens the door for Dingwall as mentioned above.

I think Muir is simply there to make up the numbers and has only a slightly better chance than me of making the match day 23. As said, he's a good club player but not really good enough for an International.

Freeman has been the form 13 most of this season, Slade has been good, but doe snot have Freemans power. If you have Dingwall at 12, common sense says Freeman at 13, especially with Mitchell at 9. Look at the number of tries scored this season by Mitchell and Freeman understanding what's on and hitting that space together.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:59 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
Mr Bounce wrote:Lawrence out would be a big loss. That said, it pretty much opens the door for Dingwall as mentioned above.

Freeman has been the form 13 most of this season, Slade has been good, but doe snot have Freemans power. If you have Dingwall at 12, common sense says Freeman at 13, especially with Mitchell at 9. Look at the number of tries scored this season by Mitchell and Freeman understanding what's on and hitting that space together.
Ah heck, just complete the puzzle, mate.  Just put Alex Mitchell at 9, Fin at 10,  Ollie Sleightholme at 11, Dinger at 12, Freeman at 13, and Furbank at 15.  This back line will rock like crazy after it finishes rolling the opposition.  And even leaves a place at 14 for Borthwick to put Steward back there as well.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:37 am

Even though I'm Irish and have a tremendous amount of glee seeing England struggle, I really would love to see SB pick an attacking backline and come out guns blazing.
How long is Lawrence out for? I really rate him (as a 13 not a 12)

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:43 am

Freeman in at 13 then...

Going to be half the Saints backline

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:20 am

Still reckon SB will pick Slade. Doesn't make it the right choice, but that's what I think he'll do...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:59 am

You might get your wish Doc and WPI. Borthwick said this earlier.

"You look at the way Fin, and Mitch [Alex Mitchell] and Tommy Freeman and Fraser Dingwall, the way they have taken Northampton on," said Borthwick.

"I think they have changed the way they have played slightly, and I think it is a great change.

"Away in Thomond Park in those conditions, the way they stayed in that fight, the way they were relentless in doing the right thing at the right time and the way they took scoring opportunities, I think that shows a team that has the right mindset, the mindset we want to make sure we have with this England team."

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:22 am

Kelly has fallen down the order mind of Ojomoh is,preferred...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:20 am

I rate Kelly but he was genuinely dire for the start of the season. He had the worst game I've seen him play by a mile in R1, then reproduced it about a month and a half. It was almost bizarre how previous strengths in his game had evaporated. There's been a comparative uplift recently but he's still nowhere near his best. I've little issue with him missing out currently. I'd be disappointed if he also missed the Portugal game that may or may not happen.

Somewhat similar with Murley actually. I'd have him in the squad ahead of Muir but he hasn't been back at his best yet this season by a long stretch.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:14 pm

How many games has Murley played? He's missed a fre with injury hasn't he.

Edit: he's only played 5 games this season...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next