The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2024 T20 World Cup

+14
JDizzle
KP_fan
Pal Joey
Forward Pass
Marky
Galted
Good Golly I'm Olly
wisden
eirebilly_01
king_carlos
alfie
VTR
guildfordbat
Duty281
18 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

2024 T20 World Cup - Page 3 Empty 2024 T20 World Cup

Post by Duty281 Wed 22 May 2024, 12:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just over a week away now from some glorious six-hitting in the cricketing heartlands of Barbados, Trinidad, Saint Lucia and, um, New York City.

England are defending the crown they won at the MCG in front of 80,000 people in November 2022. They'll probably be hoping it goes a bit better than their defence of the 50 over title! The tournament is, as T20 competitions are, very wide open. If England were to win it again they'd be the first men's team to win back to back World T20 titles in the history of the competition.

Chasing them keenly are the bookmakers favourites India, who are very, very thirsty because of a drought that has existed since 2013 in ICC tournaments. Australia will obviously be there or thereabouts, and there's plenty of excitement around the West Indies, twice winners of this competition, and how glorious it would be to see them lift a trophy at home.

Or perhaps South Africa will finally stop being Tottenham and actually win something? But it's T20. So it could be anyone. Ireland, Scotland, Uganda....USA?

I thought the format of the last couple of T20 World Cups was absolutely perfect. Naturally, then, the ICC have altered it for this year! So we've now got 20 teams, up from 16, and 55 matches in total, up from 45.

There's no preliminary round this time. All teams start off the same. Four groups of five teams. All play each other once. Top two in each group go through to the Super 8s. Super 8s is split into two groups of four. No points are carried over and all teams play each other once in the Super 8s. Top two in each Super 8 group go through to the semi-finals, from which it's a straight knockout. Means a team will play nine games if they are to lift the trophy, in comparison to England's seven games to win it in 2022.

One curious thing about the format, and the ICC love curious things (such as there being no reserve day for one semi-final), is that the finishing places in the initial group are seeded. For example, England are designated B1 in their group, and Australia are B2, which means that it's irrelevant if England come first or second. They will go through to Group 2 of the Super 8s regardless of finishing first or second. I suppose it guarantees certainty for fans, as they know where teams are playing after the initial group stage.

While I don't think it's been directly said, the draw was not a fair and open one. It took place behind closed doors and ensured India/Pakistan were in the same group, as well as some other long-standing rivalries, such as USA v Canada. I'm surprised the ICC didn't put India and Pakistan in the same Super 8 group as well! The groups are:

Groups:

The fixture list is all over the place with timings, so try and keep up! If you're in the UK, games can start at 01:30, or they might begin at 18:00, and quite a few matches seem to overlap in the early stages.

Fixture List (All times BST):

Squads (Not yet finalised):

Outright Odds (Bet365):

The USA and Canada will be starting this one off in Texas. That's the most unlikely cricket sentence ever uttered.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Pal Joey, JDizzle, guildfordbat and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

2024 T20 World Cup - Page 3 Empty Re: 2024 T20 World Cup

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Jun 2024, 8:20 pm

USA had it in the palm of their hands. 34 from 24, with seven wickets left.

But some superb yorkers from Pakistan's pace quartet strangled the run flow. Just 22 runs off the next 21 deliveries.

12 off 3 it seemed to be Pakistan's, but Haris Rauf lost it with two full tosses.

Now it's 50/50!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Jun 2024, 8:31 pm

Pakistan have had a right Pakistan of a Super Over. For some reason they went for Amir to bowl the Super Over. I don't know why.

He sent down three wide balls in the Super Over, and spent a lot of the time screaming at his fielders, like a pillock. Wides have been a problem for Pakistan throughout this game.

USA get 18 runs from the Super Over, despite only scoring one boundary, which is probably a record.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Jun 2024, 8:50 pm

USA win! Pakistan didn't really get close in the Super Over, losing by five runs, and there was a contender for catch of the tournament from Nitish Kumar en route. Should also add Pakistan nearly got timed out as there was a huge delay in them coming out to bat. The commentators said it was a five minute limit, but it was a couple of minutes beyond that when they eventually came out.

What a result for the USA in a tournament they're co hosting. A real chance now of making the Super Eights.

But the group could be thrown into all sorts of NRR confusion if Pakistan recover to beat India, and/or Ireland defeat the USA.

For now, though, just a superb result and a great game. Well done to the USA. Biggest win in their cricketing history and a real wave of momentum they're riding with eight wins from nine. clap clap clap

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 06 Jun 2024, 8:53 pm

What a bizarre and fantastic cricket match. The co-hosts winning in Dallas really sparks things into life! Plenty of poor cricket in there from both sides but how close that was kept it thoroughly engrossing throughout as far as I was concerned. Cracking stuff to enlighten a dreary Thursday evening for me.

Aaron Jones pulling off back to back important knocks.

Netravalker bowling excellently in the regular innings, then taking the Super Over.

Ali Khan having a very good match against the country of his birth.

Lots of fun narratives throughout. Exactly what I like about a World Cup, why I enjoy having a larger number of teams involved.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 06 Jun 2024, 8:54 pm

Duty281 wrote:Should also add Pakistan nearly got timed out as there was a huge delay in them coming out to bat.

Presumably an argument about whether to open with Naseem and Rauf...

king_carlos

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Jun 2024, 9:35 pm

Good fightback from Scotland. Namibia were 137/5 with 16 balls left and two set batsmen at the crease, but a late flurry of wickets kept Namibia to 155, which sets it up nicely for the second half.

Except the rain has started falling, so might be a delay.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Thu 06 Jun 2024, 10:01 pm

Was great finish in the USA Pakistan game
Both teams had chances to put it away
But the result was good for the interest in the tournament
This will be an interesting finish as well
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 06 Jun 2024, 10:08 pm

Only saw the closing overs of Namibia's 20 and then the reshowing of the wickets but some excellent catches on or coming in from the boundary in windy conditions.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 06 Jun 2024, 10:20 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Only saw the closing overs of Namibia's 20 and then the reshowing of the wickets but some excellent catches on or coming in from the boundary in windy conditions.

Scotland are generally a really food fielding side, have been for a while. Kyle Coetzer was massive on things like that during his long run as skipper. He really drilled a professionalism into that tight knit squad who were together for a long time. They've lost a few experienced heads but the bones of that squad are still here.

This should be a really good game. Namibia have good bowling options, Scotland have power up top but not quite the middle overs experience without Calum MacLeod. JJ Smit hasn't been bowling due to injury though, that is a significant swing.

Trumpelmann should be Namibia's strike options and he's started raggedly though.

Munsey goes. Massive wicket. He's Scotland's most dangerous player even if he didn't look it today.

king_carlos

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 06 Jun 2024, 10:44 pm

Purchase for the Namibia spin duo of Scholtz and Erasmus. It does for Jones who was looking the most likely to cut the head of this chase.

McMullen is a quality player though. I saw him live in Edinburgh against Ireland last summer, he scored a fantastic 60-odd at nearly 200 SR against an attack including Josh Little. Proper batter.

Namibia need wickets. As I type that, missed stumping, then stumping? From the first angle it looked like McMullen had his foot down, then from the second it looked out. Odd and messy cricket from batter and keeper.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 06 Jun 2024, 10:45 pm

As an aside, hearing comms try not to say Brendan McCullum instead of Brandon McMullen is fun.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Jun 2024, 10:46 pm

Pretty lazy dismissal that one and has possibly given Namibia a slight edge at halfway.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 06 Jun 2024, 10:50 pm

I'd have liked to see them put Leask up the order ahead of Cross here. Leask can be a really good hitter of spin and it seems like Namibia just want to strangle through Scholtz and Erasmus.

Crossy has been a stalwart through Scotland's improvement but he's had pretty lean returns for a bit now. He has been batting lower down the order as a consequence. Now would be a good time to deliver.

C'mon Scotland, get this over the line.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Jun 2024, 11:00 pm

Scotland have struggled with the spin, that's fair to say. But the Namibians are running out of overs for their spin duo. They've just tried to sneak another over through from Lungameni, but it's gone for 16 thanks to Berrington, and Scotland are back on track.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 06 Jun 2024, 11:02 pm

Cross goes. Namibia favourites now even if Smit isn't bowling. Frylinck can bowl if required, has a good record.

RRR nearly 10. It will mostly need to come from these two. Greaves is very much a bowling all-rounder from what I've seen. Watty can bat a bit but he's not a hitter at all. Very much a get the other guy on strike type of lower order stick.

Oh, hello. Berrington hits a couple of very nice boundaries in a row to get the RRR under 9. A big over that Scotland really needed. Berrington needs to take it deep.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 06 Jun 2024, 11:03 pm

6 from Leask. Shifting back Scotland's way even with the lack of depth.

I'd guess that Namibia will bring Wiese back early.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Jun 2024, 11:15 pm

And that 17th over has surely won it for Scotland.

101 metre home run from Leask! Scotland winning it with balls to spare.

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu 06 Jun 2024, 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 06 Jun 2024, 11:18 pm

Wiese getting smashed in his first over back. Momentum firmly back with Scotland. This is why I think Leask could float up the order at times for Scotland now they don't have MacLeod in the middle order. Leask is an excellent striker, can hit a very long ball.

This should be a stroll now unless something epic happens with wickets falling.

Berrington with the skippers knock thus far though.

Finish it off fellas.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 06 Jun 2024, 11:28 pm

Quality win for Scotland that.

Smit being unable to bowl maybe a big factor in the end. Namibia might have been able to use their spinners differently with the 6th option.

It was a fantastic knock from Leask though. Whilst Berrington played the slower hand very well to be there at the death.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 06 Jun 2024, 11:28 pm

Very well done to Scotland. It was quite comfortable in the end. clap

In the mud at 73/4, but Berrington was the classy glue and Leask the brutal hitter at the other end to turn it around.

In contention for the Super Eights are Scotland. They'll be hoping Australia beat England, and beat them as decisively as possible, on Saturday.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 07 Jun 2024, 9:46 am

Some good games coming up over the weekend.

Ireland have a must win this afternoon against Canada, on another potentially tricky New York pitch. Big toss to win, I imagine. Then NZ v Afghanistan, an intriguing contest, followed with SL needing to beat Bangladesh.

Then on Saturday afternoon, the Dutch trying to make it three in a row over South Africa, after beating them in 2022 and 2023. Plus Australia v England, a game that has become even more important for England after the abandonment against Scotland.

Scotland have got their own game on Sunday, versus Oman, and there's the small matter of India v Pakistan. The only game not standing out in the next few days is the West Indies v Uganda.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Jun 2024, 10:42 am

king_carlos wrote:Quality win for Scotland that.

Smit being unable to bowl maybe a big factor in the end.
Namibia might have been able to use their spinners differently with the 6th option.

It was a fantastic knock from Leask though. Whilst Berrington played the slower hand very well to be there at the death.

Was it always known that Smit would be unable to bowl or did he get injured during the game? If the former, it would seem they were running a considerable risk with only five bowlers. I assume there was no else in Namibia's side who could bowl some spin - Scotland struggled in the main when pace was taken off the ball as shown by the combined return of Erasmus & Scholtz with 3/49 from 8 overs.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 07 Jun 2024, 12:07 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Quality win for Scotland that.

Smit being unable to bowl maybe a big factor in the end.
Namibia might have been able to use their spinners differently with the 6th option.

Was it always known that Smit would be unable to bowl or did he get injured during the game? If the former, it would seem they were running a considerable risk with only five bowlers. I assume there was no else in Namibia's side who could bowl some spin - Scotland struggled in the main when pace was taken off the ball as shown by the combined return of Erasmus & Scholtz with 3/49 from 8 overs.

Smit hasn't been bowling for a while due to a knee injury, sadly. Why he was batting so low down the order is a bigger question. I'd have him in at 5 ahead of Kruger in that line-up from what I've seen of both.

Frylinck was the 6th bowler but didn't suit the conditions. I'd hope that they'll try to sneak an over of Frylinck in for the 7th or a similarly low scoring over on average to give them breathing space. Their slow finish with the bat likely left them feeling they didn't have enough runs to take that chance. Hence pushing hard and early with the spinners.

I don't think any batters in their squad bowl part time spin. The 3rd spinner in the squad is Peter-Daniel Blignaut. A 19-year-old who's rated but I can't really comment. I saw him bowl against Tanzania in a massively rotated Namibia side. I had the game on sort of in the background, it was a complete blow out win with the reserves out.

Admittedly, I used to follow associate cricket far more than I do now. So I'm hardly plugged in. For instance, I just presumed that Ben Shikongo would be inked into the Namibia line-up, thought his absence would be news amongst fellow cricket nerds. I messaged a WhatsApp group with a few guys I know from when I did analysis in cricket. They were all expecting him to miss out.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 07 Jun 2024, 3:12 pm

Ireland bowling first after winning the toss.

Apparently there's been heavy overnight rain, so that might make things even trickier for the batsmen. Steyn, at the ground, reckoning that 120 could be a stiff target.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 07 Jun 2024, 5:10 pm

Canada posted 137. I think Ireland will be a bit disappointed, in truth. They didn't pitch the ball up nearly enough, especially with the new ball, and some of their fielding was a bit lazy.

Kirton was the only Canadian who looked like launching a big innings, but he fell just before the end for 49, after a well directed short ball from McCarthy. Little 0/37 to follow up his 0/42 v India.

Outfield is practically static, so it can be difficult to generate boundaries. Canada have definitely got something to work with here.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Jun 2024, 5:52 pm

Duty281 wrote:Canada posted 137. I think Ireland will be a bit disappointed, in truth. They didn't pitch the ball up nearly enough, especially with the new ball, and some of their fielding was a bit lazy.

Kirton was the only Canadian who looked like launching a big innings, but he fell just before the end for 49, after a well directed short ball from McCarthy. Little 0/37 to follow up his 0/42 v India.

Outfield is practically static, so it can be difficult to generate boundaries. Canada have definitely got something to work with here.

Agree with that although Ireland will also be relieved they pulled it back a bit in the closing overs when Canada seemed on to post 150.

Both Ireland's openers now gone. 35/2 off 7 and looking far from straightforward for Ireland. Could be a tight finish ....

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 07 Jun 2024, 5:58 pm

And now the third in three overs, nice slow bowling from Zafar to beat the bat and hit the top of off/middle.

A bit of trouble for Ireland. 43/3 after 8.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Jun 2024, 6:00 pm

I don't know if it's just down to the particular individuals or a general approach being adopted for this tournament but the third umpire decisions I've seen have been swiftly decided with good (cricketing) common sense rather than the time consuming faffing about we too often have to unnecessarily endure.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Jun 2024, 6:09 pm

guildfordbat wrote:I don't know if it's just down to the particular individuals or a general approach being adopted for this tournament but the third umpire decisions I've seen have been swiftly decided with good (cricketing) common sense rather than the time consuming faffing about we too often have to unnecessarily endure.

Ha! Commentator's curse. Thought that previous one for an lbw or caught at slip was too rushed as it didn't check if the ball went onto bat or glove after hitting the pad.

More like it though with the swift and accurate run out decision just now which puts Ireland in the soup ....

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 07 Jun 2024, 6:10 pm

50/4 after a sharp run out of Tucker, the bowler just keeping the ball in his grasp.

Credit to Canada's fielding. Ireland's World Cup hanging by not very much. 88 needed off 60, with six wickets left, on a slow pitch and even slower outfield.

And now a very nice grab in the deep to take out Campher. 53/5. This one might be over.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 07 Jun 2024, 6:42 pm

After 9 overs without a boundary (!), a couple of big overs from Adair and Dockrell have given Ireland a chance.

36 needed off 18, four wickets left. Canada would like to break this partnership to feel comfortable again.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 07 Jun 2024, 6:52 pm

No further wickets, but Ireland only getting 19 off the next two.

Leaves them needing 17 off the last to win...or 16 for another Super Over!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 07 Jun 2024, 6:58 pm

And Gordon does break the partnership. Ireland don't get close. Canada win by 12 runs, what a win for them. clap clap

They bowled a few wayward balls in this innings, but largely kept it tight on a slow wicket, proved difficult to get away, and backed it up with intense fielding. This group is a bit of a mess at the moment.

Ireland's World Cup looks over. And the wider question is - Ireland in a bit of difficulty as a cricket nation, or just a blip? They didn't get close to making the last 50 over World Cup, finishing below Oman, and they look on course to finish last in this group, beneath the non test nation of USA and Canada. They don't seem to have many young players coming through and nearly half of their squad for this tournament is in the 30+ age bracket.

Crucial rebuild coming in the next couple of years?

Duty281

Lowlandbrit likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 07 Jun 2024, 7:19 pm

With a target of 138, I expected Ireland to do better than that. Lost too many wickets for not enough runs in the first half of their dig and that effectively put paid to their chances in this game and the tournament. Dockrell's a sensible and generally unruffled number 6 but not someone I saw batting for 10 overs whilst 88 were put on for the win. So it proved. Ireland will be very disappointed with their showing and the result. Full credit to Canada though - a highly controlled performance.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 07 Jun 2024, 11:39 pm

T20 is Ireland's worst format currently. Being a Test nation (by name at least) means that expectation is higher but in reality I think most might rank them below Netherlands, Scotland and Namibia as a T20 outfit.

The batting power just isn't there. Stirling is obviously a very good T20 player, albeit he's aging. Tector is a brilliant talent but far better suited to ODI and Test - I'd love to see Tector play more Tests, I think he's a quality player. Tucker is less talented than Tector but the same profile of better suited to longer formats. Balbirnie is a stalwart who's played his role in Ireland's rise, but his SR is poor even for ODIs as it's played these days.

They basically go from Stirling opening, then jump to Campher at 5 for the next guy suited to the format. Then it's Dockrell at 6 in his post-yips reinvention as a pinch hitter. Delaney can hit a long ball, but he's not a 7. Those three are all realistically a spot too high at this level. That would be with a more powerful top order ahead of them too.

It's properly barren batting stocks for this format. The double edge sword of Test status there. Their players are now overseas in the CC. Previously, a fair few of them would be playing Blast cricket and improving.

For a long time now I've been a fan of counties getting an extra overseas spot but specifically for players from less established cricketing nations. Given the issues around quality when spreading the talent across 18 counties, I think it could improve the comps overall. Whilst helping develop players that aid the game globally.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Jun 2024, 12:07 am

Group C will be settled among the NZ/WI/AFG trio and the first game involving the trio is now.

NZ might be a little unprepared, but they've won the toss and put Afghanistan in. Afghanistan, in quite a loss, are also without Mujeeb for this one.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 08 Jun 2024, 12:35 am

This should be a good game on a big ground in Guyana.

btw, guildford, this match is on at a good time here... 9:30am.

An early start for a Super Saturday with 3 NRL and 3 AFL matches spread out over the next 10 hours; then fusing back into cricket matches this evening here.
Also 3 super rugby pacific matches on as well but given the dire state of Oz rugby - it'll be hard to look at the scores. Anyway, I hope the Brumbies do well.

It never ends... Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Jun 2024, 12:57 am

Eventful PowerPlay. Afghanistan 44/0.

In the PowerPlay, NZ shelled an easy catch, missed an easy run out, had an LBW overturned on review, and Santner hit the leg stump off a delivery, properly hit it, and somehow no bail was dislodged.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Jun 2024, 2:15 am

159 from Afghanistan, led by Gurbaz's 80, at first measured then explosive - first 40 runs off 36 balls, the next 40 off 20 balls.

Some curious lulls in the innings, but it's a competitive total against a rather ragged Kiwi fielding effort. Edge likely with NZ, however, especially with no Mujeeb for the Afghans.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 08 Jun 2024, 2:20 am

SL 74/3 after 10 overs in the other match against Bangladesh. A decent crowd at the Texas venue.

edit: SL capitulated after that... 124/9 was all they made. Bangladesh should have no problems chasing that down.

NZ imploding chasing Afghanistan's 159 run target. Currently 54/7 after 10 overs. Rashid having a field day with 3/12 off 2 overs already.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 08 Jun 2024, 8:19 am

Pal Joey wrote:This should be a good game on a big ground in Guyana.

btw, guildford, this match is on at a good time here... 9:30am.

An early start for a Super Saturday with 3 NRL and 3 AFL matches spread out over the next 10 hours; then fusing back into cricket matches this evening here.
Also 3 super rugby pacific matches on as well but given the dire state of Oz rugby - it'll be hard to look at the scores. Anyway, I hope the Brumbies do well.

It never ends... Very Happy

That's a lovely time to watch cricket on tv, PJ. Time to leisurely get up, put the coffee pot on and ideally cook some bacon and eggs to devour as the game starts. Very Happy

guildfordbat

Pal Joey and alfie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 08 Jun 2024, 8:50 am

Haven't seen a ball yet - have apparently missed a lot of surprise results !  Guess I will have to tear myself away from the Athletics and fire up Prime Video tonight for the Ashes Rivals clash.

Is it the pitches , weather or what ?  We know t20 can be unpredictable but some of these results are more than a little weird. Makes a mockery of my pre-tournament thoughts that the group stages would be a bit dull and routine Smile

My (Indian) taxi driver last week tipped a West Indies title. Didn't exactly kick off their campaign in style making heavy weather of PNG ; but at least with NZ apparently not turning up they should be ok for qualification. Ah , who knows with all this going on ? I suppose given past records we should make Pakistan favourites...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Jun 2024, 9:25 am

Well I don't know what happened to Sri Lanka! I saw they were 100/3 after 14 overs, well placed for a push to 160...and they finished with 124/9! Bangladesh were cruising the chase, 91/3 with something like 50 balls left, but a shocking collapse nearly finished them. Over the line by two wickets.

That should be Sri Lanka out of the tournament.

NZ...well, it just wasn't good, they got hammered, but I give huge credit to the Afghans. Farooqi really is a revelation for Afghanistan. Before his arrival, Afghanistan's weakness was the pace overs, now they've got someone who can genuinely lead and be a wicket taking threat, and provide that point of difference to the quality spin they've already got. Farooqi is top, top dollar. Rashid Khan continues to be world class, hopefully they get Mujeeb back soon. And, I tell you what, with Zadran and Gurbaz in form with the bat, Omarzai a good option at 3, the brutal hitting of Nabi...they could win this. There's not a team out there they can't beat.

Tough road back for NZ. They have to beat WI now and almost certainly have to rely on needing a good NRR to overcome this loss (unless Afghanistan beat WI, which would leave it a straight shootout between NZ/WI), with PNG/Uganda unlikely to provide upsets. But NZ's NRR has been utterly savaged by this defeat, so it's a very difficult prospect.

In response to Alfie, whichever ground the game is being played at, the ball is swinging massively in the early overs. The New York pitches have been very sluggish, with variable bounce, plus the ground has a tremendously slow outfield. Spin has been a big factor outside NY. That might explain some of the lower than expected scores.

In terms of the upsets, well Pakistan and NZ barely had any preparation coming into this World Cup, and they've been caught cold by teams that have. Ireland just aren't very good, so maybe it wasn't a huge shock they lost to Canada.

The tournament is alive, it's great to see.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Jun 2024, 5:01 pm

If the Dutch are going to make it three wins on the bounce over SA, this will be their most incredible yet.

They've been restricted to 103/9 on what seems to be another fiendish New York pitch. Baartman with 4/11.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Jun 2024, 5:32 pm

3/3?!!!!!

South Africa, what are you doing?!!!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Jun 2024, 5:41 pm

England bowling first after winning the toss. No changes. Need a win here, or things get dicey. Cummins comes in for Australia.

But I might not see the start because I'm watching SA implode...12/4 now!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 08 Jun 2024, 5:48 pm

Duty281 wrote:England bowling first after winning the toss. No changes. Need a win here, or things get dicey. Cummins comes in for Australia.

But I might not see the start because I'm watching SA implode...12/4 now!

Yes I just switched on to see that one too ... as a bowler , I think I'd fancy cricket in New York Smile

SA still have batsmen left capable of getting these runs I guess ; not sure I'd put money on them though !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 08 Jun 2024, 6:13 pm

Will Jacks opening the bowling seemed like classic over thinking, and proved to be an absolute disaster!

Edit: Wood seems even worse, maybe it wasn't so bad.

England almost out of this after less than 4 overs

VTR

guildfordbat and alfie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 08 Jun 2024, 6:19 pm

Wood getting royally battered now...going to be chasing a big score here... So far this WC it is 145/0 for England's bowlers

alfie

VTR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 08 Jun 2024, 6:21 pm

This is a catastrophe. Why was Jacks bowling the second? Wood has returned to winter form.

OK, that's better.

Last edited by Duty281 on Sat 08 Jun 2024, 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next