The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UEFA Euro 2024

+23
Lowlandbrit
Dolphin Ziggler
westisbest
Pal Joey
No name Bertie
Galted
JuliusHMarx
Luke
sirfredperry
Luckless Pedestrian
owen10ozzy
Marky
mountain man
Mind the windows Tino.
Soul Requiem
alfie
Jimmy Moz
GSC
guildfordbat
Duty281
dummy_half
Good Golly I'm Olly
Lee
27 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

UEFA Euro 2024 - Page 7 Empty UEFA Euro 2024

Post by Lee Mon 10 Jun 2024, 10:56 am

First topic message reminder :

It's coming up. Who are you supporting? Who do you think will win? Who gets the golden boot?

How you feeling for your teams chances? I'm not massively into international footy but a tournament is always a laugh.

I have France winning the lot. Maybeee Kane for golden boot. Yeah that'll do. I'll be supporting The Netherlands I reckon.

Lee

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Lee-Killeen-Portfolio/4127373

Back to top Go down

UEFA Euro 2024 - Page 7 Empty Re: UEFA Euro 2024

Post by owen10ozzy Tue 02 Jul 2024, 11:06 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
owen10ozzy wrote:2 penalty takers off.....while essentially sitting back...could well come back to bite Southgate. Another clear indicator the man is as tactically inept as they come.

Shame you're not in charge of all England sports teams Owen, you seem to have all the answers to everything. Have you sent a CV to the FA?

Interesting that you focus on my post questioning the tactics of him Olly; frequent occurence...starting to think you may have a thing for me Wink

Anything I said that you particularly disagree with? I'd be interested on your take on him as a manager tactically....the statistics across the board paint a pretty bad picture in terms of how we are playing but perhaps you can see something everyone else is missing?

As for my view on him....ive been extremely consistent with it & not just from his time with England but also when he managed Middlesbrough.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 02 Jul 2024, 11:15 am

Last two games of the Last 16 today. Haven't really had an upset in this round yet, I suppose some might think Switzerland/Italy was but I wouldn't agree, so we'll see if Romania or Turkey, or both, can provide one. I was surprised to see Romania are 15/2 to win in 90 minutes and 4/1 to qualify. The Dutch might be favourites, but surely not by that much, especially after a disappointing group stage.

Only two standout teams to me so far have been Spain and Germany. Shame that game is a QF, not a SF at least. France have got a few gears to click through yet and I still believe in them. None of the bottom half look like potential winners, but one of them will only be 90 minutes away on the 14th of July.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 02 Jul 2024, 7:13 pm

Netherlands advance with a 3-0 win. Romania started brightly and had the better of the opening 15, but a poor bit of goalkeeping at the near post put the Netherlands in the lead.

Romania deflated after that and the Dutch added two late goals...although it could certainly have been more. Good statement of intent from the Dutch and they'll get Austria or Turkey in the quarters.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 02 Jul 2024, 9:15 pm

This is the game of the round by a mile
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 02 Jul 2024, 9:25 pm

3 goals all from corners. Tremendous finish
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 02 Jul 2024, 9:53 pm

Frak what a save
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 02 Jul 2024, 9:57 pm

Fun game. That save was like Banks in 1970.

Got 7/8 right for the last 16, let's see if I can get 100% for the quarters:

Germany v Spain
France v Portugal
Netherlands v Turkey
England v Switzerland

Picking England because there has to be at least one upset. Whistle

Duty281

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 03 Jul 2024, 1:03 am

Wonder if Turkiye could spring a surprise , after their lively display this morning ? They might run out of players , mind , with the number of yellow cards they've collected Smile
Austria will be rueing all those missed chances ! And what a save at the death...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 03 Jul 2024, 9:41 am

Turkey will get their best player back to be fair.

Spain have been a stronger side than Germany but will that translate to playing a stronger side than they've faced yet with home backing.

I think Portugal could turn over France. France have played with a minute margin for error in this tournament. If Portugal can escape the cult of Cristiano there's really nothing between the two teams at this tournament so far.

England, either Gareth concedes big changes are needed or they'll be out.

Suspect the Dutch will edge out Turkey. But probably closer than people think. Bit over reliant on Gakpo
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Wed 03 Jul 2024, 9:47 am

Germany v Spain - Spain cruised past Italy and Croatia, not convinced this Germany side who struggled against Switzerland and Denmark is the one to stop them
France v Portugal - They have to turn up at some point, have basically sleepwalked into the QF's
Netherlands v Turkey - If they play like they did against Romania, they'll win fairly comfortably
England v Switzerland - Southgate has to adapt, but won't. Could go into Extra Time again, but I don't see how we qualify without him accepting and learning from his mistakes

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 03 Jul 2024, 10:18 am

Watching the games like Spain v Georgia and Austria v Turkey, there's such a good tempo and players running past the player with the ball. Compare and contrast with England, which is like watching paint dry - no movement, no speed of moving the ball and no risks being taken.

Doesn't help that our supposedly technically excellent players can't put a 10m pass to the correct side of the receiving player (Kyle Walker, I am looking mostly at you), so everything has to stop and go backwards.

Now of course watch as England have one of their occasional brilliant games and totally tear Switzerland to pieces...(they haven't had a game like that since half way though qualifying)

dummy_half

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 03 Jul 2024, 10:48 am

dummy_half wrote:Watching the games like Spain v Georgia and Austria v Turkey, there's such a good tempo and players running past the player with the ball. Compare and contrast with England, which is like watching paint dry -  no movement, no speed of moving the ball and no risks being taken.

Doesn't help that our supposedly technically excellent players can't put a 10m pass to the correct side of the receiving player (Kyle Walker, I am looking mostly at you), so everything has to stop and go backwards.

Now of course watch as England have one of their occasional brilliant games and totally tear Switzerland to pieces...(they haven't had a game like that since half way though qualifying)

So one might say "they're due !"

But seriously I wonder if the relief of that last minute escape might free them up a bit for this game. Seems to me they've been playing as if terrified of making an error and losing (which of course means more errors anyway , plus very little attacking threat). Just maybe getting out of jail like that could add a bit of confidence and we see some of the football they are certainly individually capable of producing. Would be a good time for some attacking flair...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 03 Jul 2024, 11:23 am

Germany v Spain - OK, backing Germany because they've got home advantage, and they've looked very controlled and measured so far. They've been comfortable in every meaningful game. Spain have done the job sufficiently, but I'm not sure Croatia/Italy were particularly strong. The possession battle in this one will be fascinating, but I'm favouring the Germans to come out on top.

France v Portugal - Portugal would be so much better without Ronaldo, instead they're funneling everything to him to their detriment. France have started off slowly, but their potential ceiling is so much higher than Portugal, and they were quietly impressive, if not outstanding, against Belgium. Favouring France, but if they fall behind at any stage, it's going to be bloody awkward.

Netherlands v Turkey - Turkey are the worst of the eight teams left. They were highly fortunate to get past Austria, while there's a sense that the Dutch may have just arrived after a convincing display v Romania.

England v Switzerland - England have been abject so far and there's been little sign of a reaction. Maybe it'll come in the quarters? Switzerland probably fit the bill of solid but unspectacular, which is all of England's opponents thus far, and will definitely back themselves here after turning over Italy. I think England's star names will just about get them over the line, but it could be tight. Hopefully Southgate learns about substitutions before Saturday.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 03 Jul 2024, 11:45 am

Absolutely agree about them appearing to be terrified of making a mistake, which of course results in tension and therefore mistakes...

In Harry Kane, we have one of the best 'natural' goal scorers in the tournament (i.e someone with the happy knack of being in the right place at the right time and who doesn't care how it goes in, just that it does). Get some balls into the box for him to attack, rather than trying to play magic passes through the heart of the opposing defence that aren't happening. And start to be a bit more positive with things like long throws - it's ridiculous how often we have a throw in level with the edge of the attacking box that ends up back at Pickford with no opponent touching the ball.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 03 Jul 2024, 12:22 pm

What frustrates me (and obviously LOTS of others) is lack of urgency shown by England. They'll have a half hearted attack and if it doesn't work they'll sit back, pass sideways then all way back to Pickford. They rarely if ever see opportunities which are there and go for it. They are constantly waiting for opponent to give them an in rather than creating themselves. It's maddening.

If they lose so be it and quite honestly given how poor they have been it wouldn't be entirely unexpected but if they go out with a whimper not firing a shot literally or figuratively then that would be very upsetting.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 03 Jul 2024, 1:17 pm

mountain man wrote:What frustrates me (and obviously LOTS of others) is lack of urgency shown by England. They'll have a half hearted attack and if it doesn't work they'll sit back, pass sideways then all way back to Pickford. They rarely if ever see opportunities which are there and go for it. They are constantly waiting for opponent to give them an in rather than creating themselves. It's maddening.

If they lose so be it and quite honestly given how poor they have been it wouldn't be entirely unexpected but if they go out with a whimper not firing a shot literally or figuratively then that would be very upsetting.

Agreed - the number of times we've managed to breach the first line of the defence, but then played back and away has been so frustrating - it's as though they've been told not to cross the ball from wide positions, and not even to look to get into those positions. Compare with Spain, who've been great at getting players to the by-line.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 03 Jul 2024, 8:55 pm

The leaks are starting that it's a back 3. Somehow it'll still be Trippier ahead of Trent
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 03 Jul 2024, 9:27 pm

Ugh. Saw that because apparently England have been training with that shape today.

Would presumably be Konsa, Stones and Walker as the three CBs, with Trent on the right and Trippier/Saka on the left. Then Rice and Mainoo in the centre, with Foden and Bellingham further forward as the centre-left/centre-right attacking midfielders, and Kane as the front man.

Southgate wouldn't do something radical like Rice/Mainoo/Bellingham in the centre, and Kane and Toney up front.

The back five has never worked under Southgate. And that's what it is, a back five. The wingbacks rarely get forward enough to make it a 3-4-3. I thought this shape had been left behind, but apparently Southgate is worried about the lack of protection for Trippier and Konsa. Rolling Eyes That's Southgate, always worrying.

I worry it's going to further compound England's lack of width and make it more difficult to survive an opposition press.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 03 Jul 2024, 9:49 pm

I would probably drop Foden for a midfielder and give Saka/Trent license to play as wingers. But we'll see
GSC
GSC

Lee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 05 Jul 2024, 12:08 am

What a season Granit Xhaka is having.  On his debut season steers Bayer Leverkusen to the Bundesliga title and domestic double without losing a match.  Now he has captained his national team to the quarter-finals of the European Championship where they meet England.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 05 Jul 2024, 4:17 pm

1934 - Italy ❌
1950 - Brazil ❌
1980 - Italy ❌
1984 - France ❌
1988 - Germany ❌
1996 - England ❌
2002 - Korea ❌
2004 - Portugal ❌
2018 - Russia ❌

Spain's shocking record against home nations at major tournaments. Can they notch up a win this afternoon?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 05 Jul 2024, 5:07 pm

Tough game to referee already. Pedri off injured, looks like the end of his game.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 05 Jul 2024, 6:54 pm

1-1 after 90.

Very good game. Spain took the lead with a fairly soft goal, but Germany have dominated since and got a deserved equaliser two minutes from the end.

The German manager had no hesitation in throwing on substitutes to rescue the game. Refreshing! Fullkrug added a lot for Germany.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 05 Jul 2024, 7:38 pm

Spain pinch it late and send the hosts out. Great game, could have gone either way. Worthy of a final.

Spain won't have Carvajal and Morata for the semi.

Earliest exit for the hosts at a Euros.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 05 Jul 2024, 7:40 pm

Maybe France will manage Spain out. But they seem the class of the competition
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri 05 Jul 2024, 7:40 pm

Yeah enjoyed that one. Let's see if the other game lives up to it

Lee

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Lee-Killeen-Portfolio/4127373

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 05 Jul 2024, 8:42 pm

Ronaldo didn't take a free-kick! Shocked Shocked Shocked

My world is rocked to the very foundations.

Duty281

Lee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 05 Jul 2024, 10:30 pm

Off to penalties. Second time in a row for Portugal. France possibly a bit fortunate to get this far.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 05 Jul 2024, 10:44 pm

They survive but they're gonna have to be miles better to survive Spain. 3 goals in 5 games, 2 OG and a penalty, and people want Southgate out!
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 05 Jul 2024, 10:44 pm

France advance. Five perfect penalties from them. Joao Felix the unfortunate player who missed for Portugal.

Would have been weird if Portugal went through, because they've been scoreless in their last three games (+ two ET periods). France will need to step it up quite significantly for Spain.

England tomorrow! Preparing to be invigorated by Southgateball.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 06 Jul 2024, 10:25 am

I see in the recently concluded election that the seat of Southgate was comfortably held by Labour...

Is this an omen for the game today I wonder Cool

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Jul 2024, 1:14 pm

Well England definitely labour under Southgate a great deal, so it's fairly apt.

England expected to go with Saka at LWB and Trent at RWB, with Foden and Bellingham behind Kane. Largely as expected then.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 06 Jul 2024, 3:56 pm

Just the 1 change then 🤣🤦‍�

So he is either sticking with 4 at the back & essentially the exact same players that have hugely underwhelmed thus far...which would blow my mind....or its 3 at back with Saka LWB & he decided lets just put Trippier at RWB as he has given so much offensively it just has to work

At this point I just watch in the hope that Southgate is some absolute tactictal wizard which we have yet to quite fathom.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Jul 2024, 4:19 pm

Oh, no Trent, suppose we can't have too much ambition!

Like you say, it's either a back four, or the adjustment to a back five with Saka as LWB. All the indications are the latter. And Southgate isn't the sort to do surprises.

It's certainly a very winnable game, and one England should start favourites for. Switzerland haven't pulled up any trees in the competition so far.

Can we just watch some nice football? Is that possible?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Jul 2024, 5:02 pm

Saka actually starting on the right.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 06 Jul 2024, 5:22 pm

Ball kicked out from the corner 😂 ....to add to his offside essentially on half way line. Cracking stuff.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 06 Jul 2024, 5:46 pm

Lack of a left side is still an issue

Taking Shaw looks a worse decision by the match. If Saka has to go left and Trent at RB so be it tbh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Jul 2024, 5:52 pm

All a bit bland again.

England have pressed a little more when the Swiss have had it in their own third, which is good, but any time Switzerland have the ball in the England half, the English put 9/10 behind the ball and stand off, allowing the opposition to play between the lines. Fortunately, it's only Switzerland, doing that against France or Spain will only end one way. Needs to be more energy and intensity off the ball in their own third from England. Bodes very badly if England take the lead, because I think we all know what would happen.

Attacking wise, it's almost all coming from Saka, who's playing the Swiss on his own at times. He's put some good crosses in, but no one getting on to them. Flashes from Bellingham and Mainoo but nothing more. Loving Mainoo's directness. I just wish he or Bellingham would make runs in behind sometimes.

Foden isn't really in the game. I'm not getting England's shape here. It's four at the back on the ball, but five without. Just get Foden off, make it a back four permanently, and stick Gordon on to give Switzerland something else to worry about on a different flank. At present, they know where England will attack. Give them something else to worry about. An outside runner on the left can stretch them.

Kane needs to come off. His fitness is utterly wrecked. Get Toney on and give England more mobility on the press and in the air. But will Southgate even make changes?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 06 Jul 2024, 5:55 pm

Lets not go overboard - was a better performance but based purely on the awful football up to this point.

The issues are still blindingly obvious - No width on left with Trippier offering the sum total of nothing other than slowing down any attacks and making us restart from the back.

General play is so slow.

Walker is providing no overlap support for Saka (though luckily can do it on his own thus far - best player on pitch by a mile)

Foden for all the talk about being better suited for this formation is dropping so deep to get the ball he is ineffective anyhow

Corner delivery poor thus far & Kane offering very very little.

We need to get runners into the box 2nd half (even if we bring on a better outlet down the left - no one is taking a chance & getting into the box anyhow)

Saka has looked very good. Konsa a rock thus far. Mainoo is having another confident showing.

I'd be throwing anyone who is willing to run at players on for Trippier 2nd half....(even if they have to then cut back least they would put bit of scare into the Swiss defence) & i would be tempted to take Foden off & bring on Toney. Play 2 up front and just have Bellingham drop into the midfield & play more box to box.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Jul 2024, 6:17 pm

Switzerland with their best spell of the game.

England need changes.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 06 Jul 2024, 6:27 pm

Switzerland running the game now - England not even pushing out when we win the ball back. No signs of any changes from the dugout; hopeless.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Jul 2024, 6:28 pm

72 minutes played. Not a shot on target. Switzerland have had a good 10 minute spell.

Changes made? Zero. Southgate is clueless. Bench packed full of talent, Southgate doesn't want to use it.

Kane can't hold it up because he's knackered. Southgate somehow doesn't see this.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Jul 2024, 6:30 pm

And Switzerland take a deserved lead.

Well done, Southgate, you utter clown.

I've never seen management so inept.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 06 Jul 2024, 6:34 pm

Shock horror - Kyle Walker is the man to lose his runner - add that to the utter dross served up by him this tournament.

Game was starting to get away from us 10 minutes ago & what did Southgate do. Absolutely nothing.

Ive been frustrated as a football fan plenty of times. But i have never been physically angry in the manner i am having to watch a man absolutely smash apart one of the best chances of a tournament win in the pasr 50 years! I hope he never gets another job in football. Pathetic.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Jul 2024, 6:34 pm

Mainoo, Trippier and Bellingham off.

Palmer, Shaw and Eze on. No Toney, but a left back who hasn't played since February, when one down.

Not Bellingham...? Konsa.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Jul 2024, 6:36 pm

Saka with a sweet strike. Delighted for him, absolutely deserved as an individual. Brilliant.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 06 Jul 2024, 6:37 pm

Wow....who knew bringing naturally left footed players onto the left side would mean pulling defenders across a little from the right thus creating space 🤔🤦‍�

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 06 Jul 2024, 6:51 pm

Swiss should have won that at the end. What a cross.

England need more balance and should get Gallagher or Wharton on for Foden. I'll keep banging on about it, but Toney should come on. Thirty minutes against a tired Swiss defence is a fantastic match up.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Sat 06 Jul 2024, 6:53 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:I hope he never gets another job in football.

Someone's mum needs to take a phone off their child.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 06 Jul 2024, 6:58 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
owen10ozzy wrote:I hope he never gets another job in football.

Someone's mum needs to take a phone off their child.

🤣🤣 I did say....its infuriating watching them 😅

owen10ozzy

Mind the windows Tino. likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next