The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UEFA Euro 2024

+23
Lowlandbrit
Dolphin Ziggler
westisbest
Pal Joey
No name Bertie
Galted
JuliusHMarx
Luke
sirfredperry
Luckless Pedestrian
owen10ozzy
Marky
mountain man
Mind the windows Tino.
Soul Requiem
alfie
Jimmy Moz
GSC
guildfordbat
Duty281
dummy_half
Good Golly I'm Olly
Lee
27 posters

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

UEFA Euro 2024 - Page 13 Empty UEFA Euro 2024

Post by Lee Mon 10 Jun 2024 - 20:56

First topic message reminder :

It's coming up. Who are you supporting? Who do you think will win? Who gets the golden boot?

How you feeling for your teams chances? I'm not massively into international footy but a tournament is always a laugh.

I have France winning the lot. Maybeee Kane for golden boot. Yeah that'll do. I'll be supporting The Netherlands I reckon.

Lee

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Lee-Killeen-Portfolio/4127373

Back to top Go down

UEFA Euro 2024 - Page 13 Empty Re: UEFA Euro 2024

Post by dummy_half Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 2:53

catchweight wrote:The old Euro tournaments felt like serious business from the get go as the groups were usually unforgiving and hard to get out of. Even the group games had the feel of jeopardy and knock out football.

Now it feels like a weeks worth of matches as a glorified weeding out process until the tournament starts properly. By which stage theres been an exhaustion of pointless feeling matches

24 teams down to 16 makes no sense from a sporting perspective, and resulted in a team with 4 points (Ukraine) not qualifying while a team with 3 points went through in the 'best of the third place' set. Ideally, I'd go to 16 teams as 4 groups of 4 (and straight to QFs), but could see 20 teams (4 groups of 5) working. At a push, 32 teams so 8 groups of 4 and retaining the round of 16 - more teams but no more games per team than are currently played.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 3:08

32 teams is probably where it will end up before too long.

If they want more teams and a larger spread of quality then they need to find ways to give the games more meaning. The current set up is the worst of both worlds i feel.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 3:16

Wait for a 64 team world cup (unless you're Scotland)
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 3:22

And World Cups every 2 years

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 21:01

catchweight wrote:Fine margins hold large sway over public opinion. We were 90 seconds away against Slovakia or a penalty shootout away against Switzerland from English football being toxic again

The inquest had already begun, hadn't it? Booed off at half time again, no changes at half time - and they could easily have been 2 - 0 down after Stones gave the ball away in the second half. Southgate has been a very lucky manager, however you slice it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 21:03

Southgate has stepped down then. Happy? Sad? Not bothered? Lol

Lee

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Lee-Killeen-Portfolio/4127373

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 21:06

I think as above, this was probably one tournament too many for Gareth, and it was pretty muddled throughout.

His contributions to getting England to this point shouldn't be underplayed and hopefully get the respect they deserve in the years to come.
GSC
GSC

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 21:33

GSC wrote:I think as above, this was probably one tournament too many for Gareth, and it was pretty muddled throughout.

His contributions to getting England to this point shouldn't be underplayed and hopefully get the respect they deserve in the years to come.

I'm sure when England go out on penalties in the round of 32 at the next world cup Southgate will be remembered as the greatest tactician England have ever had and his doubters will be non-existent.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 21:49

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Three tournaments wasted. It's a shame, but today is a bright day and England can move forward with relish to 2026.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 21:51

I think it's the right time for Southgate to go, and I thnk given time supporters will look back on the success he had with the kind eyes that fell on Robby Bobson after he retired - fans will forget the performances and look at the outcomes, which have been very good compared with the previous 3 long term managers.

It will be interesting to see who gets the job next - the relatively recent past history (and performance of other national sides) suggests that success at club level does not necessarily translate to success as a national team coach, but the media will undoubtedly clamour for a big name (Mourinho, Poccetino?). How about Roberto Martinez - experience in the English game and as an international manager?

ANyway, with my 2 years managerial experience (Under 11 mixed and under 12 girls), I'm going to send my CV in - after all, everyone knew better than Southgate how England should play...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 21:59

No reason to hugely celebrate his resignation - Was time to leave & i'm glad he made that decision. I actually give him a huge amount of a respect and he has gone up even further in my eyes because he has made the decision the spineless FA wouldnt have done.

While I have been quick to judge his coaching/tactical mind and have never rated him in this regard, i have constantly praised the effect he has had on the England team in terms of the pride he has restored in them. Whilst the players wear the jersey, it has been him who instilled pride back into the mindset of a new generation of footballers. Deserves massive credit for leaving our national game far healthier than when he took over. (At all levels too - because he was fundamental in the regime change and set up of St Georges park & the change in mindset towards the youth levels of international football in England)

I'd actually have no qualms in him staying within the England set up in some capacity and think it would be a good thing - however figures he will have another crack at club football and he is sure to find a relatively big job out there (Ten Hag successor is still an option given the start to their pre-season).

Onto a new chapter now and this next hire is absolutely massive - so the question is who should be the next England manager .........

Will the FA play it safe?

Does it have to be an English coach?

Is it vital they are in place before the next Nations League campaign?

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 22:01

Odds on Bet365 for next England manager.

Potter 13/8; Carsley 9/4; Howe 4/1; Klopp 10/1; Pochettino 12/1; Tuchel 16/1; Lampard 16/1; Mourinho 20/1; Pep 25/1; Carrick 33/1, then the rest.

Potter would be my preferred choice, but Carsley's been involved in the set up so has that advantage. Main concern with Carsley is that he has never managed at senior level, bar a couple of caretaker roles.

I can't see it being Howe or Klopp or Tuchel or Pep. I know the FA have been keen on Pochettino in the past, so if they go foreign, he would probably be the leading candidate. Mourinho would be a laugh. Probably about one tournament before he p!sses everyone off, though England would likely s**thouse their way to the World Cup. Laugh

Hope to goodness it's not Lampard. Will Still would be a vibes choice. Will the FA go for a woman? Surely not. Martinez at 66/1 could be a decent outside shot given his international experience.

I hope the FA get it sorted before the Nations League (England in the second tier now), because it's good to build up as much experience and synergy between the new manager and players in the limited time before the World Cup.

Whoever it is, let's just rejoice that Southgate's football from 1978 is finally gone.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 22:04

Duty281 wrote:Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Three tournaments wasted. It's a shame, but today is a bright day and England can move forward with relish to 2026.

Disagree on this point massively Duty - feel like may be little case of over egging it yourself here.

Can't say 3 wasted tournaments given where we were when he took over.

Huge job done in turning around the national side to begin with - for me it was only this tournament which felt like a wasted opportunity given the signs had begun as far back as 2021 that perhaps he had done all he could in terms of where he could take us.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 22:29

8 Years (just less than, he started in October) under Southgate has seen some churn of players.
His first starting 11 (against Malta);
Joe Hart
Kyle Walker
John Stones
Gary Cahill
Ryan Bertrand
Jordan Henderson
Dele Alli
Wayne Rooney
Theo Walcott
Jesse Lingard
Daniel Sturridge.

Obviously Walker and Stones are still around, while Henderson has only faded from the squad in the last year. A couple of young (then) players in Alli and Lingard that haven't fulfilled their potential. Not exactly a team of world beaters though.

2018 WC squad, Rooney retired and Kane in and as captain, with Pickford coming through as the #1 #1. Maguire coming in. Also actually had a few youngsters in the squad, with Rashford, Alli, Loftus-Cheek and TA-A.

It's a funny thing that while Southgate definitely has a few favourites who he hangs on to for too long (Henderson, Maguire, Walker, possibly Kane), his record of introducing young players to the squad is very good - OK, some haven't made the grade long term, but the squad at this Euros has a core of very good players 24 and under. He leaves the next manager with some good foundations to build on.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 22:30

owen10ozzy wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Disagree on this point massively Duty - feel like may be little case of over egging it yourself here.

Huge job done in turning around the national side to begin with - for me it was only this tournament which felt like a wasted opportunity given the signs had begun as far back as 2021 that perhaps he had done all he could in terms of where he could take us.

Euro 2020 was definitely there to be won, but Southgate treated us to a masterclass in 1970s football in the final.

Should never have been anything more than an interim manager. That Colombian smashing a penalty off the bar started the bizarre Southgate love in. Thankfully, it's all over now. We'll miss Southgate's luck, but that's about all. I presume the media won't be giving a gentle ride for the next manager, as they have done for Southgate.

Up to the FA to make the right choice. If they do, England are favourites for the next World Cup. There's a tremendous young core to this squad and the potential can finally be unleashed over the next few tournaments. Exciting times.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 22:30

Duty281 wrote:Odds on Bet365 for next England manager.

Potter 13/8; Carsley 9/4; Howe 4/1; Klopp 10/1; Pochettino 12/1; Tuchel 16/1; Lampard 16/1; Mourinho 20/1; Pep 25/1; Carrick 33/1, then the rest.

Potter would be my preferred choice, but Carsley's been involved in the set up so has that advantage. Main concern with Carsley is that he has never managed at senior level, bar a couple of caretaker roles.

I can't see it being Howe or Klopp or Tuchel or Pep. I know the FA have been keen on Pochettino in the past, so if they go foreign, he would probably be the leading candidate. Mourinho would be a laugh. Probably about one tournament before he p!sses everyone off, though England would likely s**thouse their way to the World Cup. Laugh

Hope to goodness it's not Lampard. Will Still would be a vibes choice. Will the FA go for a woman? Surely not. Martinez at 66/1 could be a decent outside shot given his international experience.

I hope the FA get it sorted before the Nations League (England in the second tier now), because it's good to build up as much experience and synergy between the new manager and players in the limited time before the World Cup.

Whoever it is, let's just rejoice that Southgate's football from 1978 is finally gone.

Ah i doubt he'll take it. Hes known up here to love the day to day stuff and has even said hes not really ready...has too much to do at club level.

Potter? Being truthful im not fully up on him....What would he bring?
Martinez? Dear god no...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 22:48

I don't see Howe moving out of club management. And Pep you need o add a couple of 00s to the odds - he's not leaving City. Klopp will be appointed by Germany in the next couple of weeks.

Potter had a great reputation from managing a small club in Sweden up to the top of their hierarchy, had an OK season at Swansea and then did what all Brighton bosses have done - exceed expectations on a limited budget, sufficiently for Chelsea to agree quite a hefty compensation package to recruit him. And that's where it didn't work out.

My concerns with Potter are that his own playing experience was as a journeyman professional, so may struggle to connect with international level players, and this perhaps seems to have been the case at Chelsea. Also his tactics are quite complex and require significant buy-in from the players - will he get that and have sufficient time to make it work with the limited time available with an international squad?

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 23:13

So some got what they wanted with Southgate going
If England don't win WC or Euros with someone else what then. Blame someone else?

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 23:21

Geordie wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Odds on Bet365 for next England manager.

Ah i doubt he'll take it. Hes known up here to love the day to day stuff and has even said hes not really ready...has too much to do at club level.

Potter? Being truthful im not fully up on him....What would he bring?
Martinez? Dear god no...

Great tactician, great coach. Understands the ball needs to be moved on the floor, not hacked long from kick off. Would get England pressing again.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 23:24

dummy_half wrote:I don't see Howe moving out of club management. And Pep you need o add a couple of 00s to the odds - he's not leaving City. Klopp will be appointed by Germany in the next couple of weeks.

Potter had a great reputation from managing a small club in Sweden up to the top of their hierarchy, had an OK season at Swansea and then did what all Brighton bosses have done - exceed expectations on a limited budget, sufficiently for Chelsea to agree quite a hefty compensation package to recruit him. And that's where it didn't work out.

My concerns with Potter are that his own playing experience was as a journeyman professional, so may struggle to connect with international level players, and this perhaps seems to have been the case at Chelsea. Also his tactics are quite complex and require significant buy-in from the players - will he get that and have sufficient time to make it work with the limited time available with an international squad?

Yes, I mentioned earlier in the thread about Potter's tactical complexity. If he becomes England manager he'll need to simplify that in order to succeed, due to, as you say, the limited time available.

I'd be surprised if Klopp gets appointed by Germany soon. Nagelsmann has been there less than a year.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 23:27

mountain man wrote:So some got what they wanted with Southgate going
If England don't win WC or Euros with someone else what then. Blame someone else?

As long as England play productive, front foot football, and the new manager gives England the best chance of winning, I'll be happy. You can play the best football in the world and not win tournaments, so there's never any guarantees. But let's see the new man get the most out of these brilliant players, rather than the utter garbage we had to endure at this Euros from a tactically deficient and woeful coach.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 23:32

Well I see Duty is happy now Smile

Expected him to call it quits and the fact that he has done so without delay gives them time to settle on a replacement : hopefully whoever it is proves successful. Think most (not all , of course) on here will at least have more good things from his tenure to reflect on than complaints. No secret that I rated his efforts so I wish him well with whatever he does next.

No idea who will take on the job but it will be a relief not to have to read the repetitive online moaning whether the team won drew or lost - at least until the new chap wears out his honeymoon period Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 23:34

Duty281 wrote:
owen10ozzy wrote:

Euro 2020 was definitely there to be won, but Southgate treated us to a masterclass in 1970s football in the final.

Should never have been anything more than an interim manager. That Colombian smashing a penalty off the bar started the bizarre Southgate love in. Thankfully, it's all over now. We'll miss Southgate's luck, but that's about all. I presume the media won't be giving a gentle ride for the next manager, as they have done for Southgate.

Up to the FA to make the right choice. If they do, England are favourites for the next World Cup. There's a tremendous young core to this squad and the potential can finally be unleashed over the next few tournaments. Exciting times.

Why are kids allowed to post on here? There should be a lower age limit.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 23:36

mountain man wrote:So some got what they wanted with Southgate going

🤣🤣🤣 well that would depend on the stages we reach, the style of football, who we beat along the way or indeed who we are beaten by and in what manner....

Much in the same way Southgate has been judged...

We are talking about a man who has now taken us to 4 tournaments (6 including Nations league)....and whilst undoubtedly has been successful in leading us to very latter stages...hasnt won anything ultimately... is it wrong to want change in the hope it takes us to that next stage..i.e. winning a major trophy?

It's not calling for his head after 1 tournament...its been 8 years now - style has arguably regressed rather than progressed, this despite having better players than he did 8 years ago.

Very few fans entertain the idea of a club manager sticking around if the signs are they cant take the club to the next level - not sure why it seems different for international football....

owen10ozzy

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 16 Jul 2024 - 23:44

alfie wrote:Well I see Duty is happy now Smile

Expected him to call it quits and the fact that he has done so without delay gives them time to settle on a replacement : hopefully whoever it is proves successful. Think most (not all , of course) on here will at least have more good things from his tenure to reflect on than complaints. No secret that I rated his efforts so I wish him well with whatever he does next.

No idea who will take on the job but it will be a relief not to have to read the repetitive online moaning whether the team won drew or lost - at least until the new chap wears out his honeymoon period Smile

Ecstatic. Yahoo

Bright times ahead for the football and rugby union sides.

Looks like the money is going on Howe, he's now 3/1, so maybe it'll be him.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 0:56

Go get Bielsa
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 1:25

owen10ozzy wrote:No reason to hugely celebrate his resignation - Was time to leave & i'm glad he made that decision. I actually give him a huge amount of a respect and he has gone up even further in my eyes because he has made the decision the spineless FA wouldnt have done.

While I have been quick to judge his coaching/tactical mind and have never rated him in this regard, i have constantly praised the effect he has had on the England team in terms of the pride he has restored in them. Whilst the players wear the jersey, it has been him who instilled pride back into the mindset of a new generation of footballers. Deserves massive credit for leaving our national game far healthier than when he took over. (At all levels too - because he was fundamental in the regime change and set up of St Georges park & the change in mindset towards the youth levels of international football in England)

I'd actually have no qualms in him staying within the England set up in some capacity and think it would be a good thing - however figures he will have another crack at club football and he is sure to find a relatively big job out there (Ten Hag successor is still an option given the start to their pre-season).

Onto a new chapter now and this next hire is absolutely massive - so the question is who should be the next England manager .........

Actually like your shout of having Southgate move into more of an upstairs role within the England/FA setup Owen - maybe some sort of "sporting director" who oversees St Georges Park and general footballing things he is clearly very good at throughout all youth levels too.

A shame to see him go - best England manager of my lifetime, and in many a year.
List of names is heading up the betting is...not exciting. Don't get the Potter love in at all, and fear that would be a disaster.

If they can prise Howe away from Newcastle that's probably the best option, but seems unlikely. Folk touting Klopp are living on a different planet I think (will eat those words).

It absolutely screams settling for Lampard to me....
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 1:36

GSC wrote:Go get Bielsa

Go get this man.

UEFA Euro 2024 - Page 13 Glenn-Hoddle

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 1:37

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
owen10ozzy wrote:No reason to hugely celebrate his resignation - Was time to leave & i'm glad he made that decision. I actually give him a huge amount of a respect and he has gone up even further in my eyes because he has made the decision the spineless FA wouldnt have done.

Actually like your shout of having Southgate move into more of an upstairs role within the England/FA setup Owen - maybe some sort of "sporting director" who oversees St Georges Park and general footballing things he is clearly very good at throughout all youth levels too.

A shame to see him go - best England manager of my lifetime, and in many a year.
List of names is heading up the betting is...not exciting. Don't get the Potter love in at all, and fear that would be a disaster.

If they can prise Howe away from Newcastle that's probably the best option, but seems unlikely. Folk touting Klopp are living on a different planet I think (will eat those words).

It absolutely screams settling for Lampard to me....

Settling for Lampard or, worse, bringing in the assistant. Holland is 20/1...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 2:18

What an odd little person you are.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 2:23

Soul Requiem wrote:

Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 3:11

Soul Requiem wrote:

It's a child. Celebrating, but could end up with Lampard.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 3:49

Doubt Lampard would be considered. Certainly not ahead of Carsley.

Potter by all accounts was turning down roles while waiting for something. Think he probably represents the best English candidate, don't think I hold Chelsea against anyone at this point, and he brings tactical maturity Southgate lacked. Howe not for me honestly.

Don't think there's much in the foreign guys listed. Poch not really who you turn to when you want to take the final step
GSC
GSC

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 3:50

Think there's probably also a point of how much Howe would potentially cost
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 3:54

Tuchel is the interesting foreign name but I don't think the fa wants to deal with that
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 18:05

The FA wanted Southgate to stay for many reasons. Southgate resigned because he could no longer accept the abuse he was getting from social media and from the English fans in the stadiums. People hurled beer at him and booed his name when the stadium announcer announced his name - they would applaud the players when their name was announced and then boo when Southgate's name was announced. This occurred with rising levels of sound as the tournament progressed. Apparently Southgate felt unappreciated and that all the work he had done getting England to these positions was neither appreciated nor recognized.

If Southgate had stayed another six months to a year then there could have been a good chance that Klopp might have accepted the position. Klopp is taking a break and then wants a new project to inspire him getting back into management.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 18:08

I suppose it will have to be Potter given Potter seems to be rejecting all club offers not considered to be big enough for him. Pochettino seems to be another possibility since he seems to like it in England and had been out of football for some time before getting the big job of Chelsea - when Chelsea were in turmoil. He has shown what he can do with limited funds at Southampton and Spurs and then coming to a club in turmoil (Chelsea) and creating some order and stability.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 18:39

Sounds like Howe, Potter, Carsley and Pochettino are the main names the FA are considering.

Howe appears to be the frontrunner, the FA don't usually get frontrunners, but there will be a hefty fee imposed due to him having multiple years left on his Newcastle contract (possibly until 2027). Such a fee would heap the pressure on Howe to prove to be worth the return on investment. Plus would he want to leave a very good job at Newcastle? And he's only 46, so he could well get the England job in the future. It doesn't have to be now.

Potter much more attainable. Pochettino has worked previously with the FA's technical director, so there's already a relationship here, and the FA have talked about him in the past. But Carsley would be a safe, in house option, and could easily go the Southgate route of being an interim, during the Nations League games, and then winning a permanent contract based on those early matches. I'd be opposed to Carsley because he has such little experience of senior football, and would probably be outwitted against top managers.

Outsider options seem to include Tuchel, Lampard and Gerrard. Tuchel is apparently open to an approach, and that would probably be quite a coup if it happened, while Gerrard and Lampard's credentials are pretty much limited to them being former internationals. Lampard's managerial career hasn't gone well, while Gerrard's has gone downhill after initial success with Rangers.

Klopp appears to be out of the running, with no interest from him.

Current odds on Bet365 - Howe now the 9/4 favourite, Potter marginally behind at 12/5 and Carsley at 10/3. Klopp still there at 10/1. Poch at 12/1, Super Frank 14/1, Tuchel into 14/1, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink at 25/1, Mourinho 25/1, Pep 25/1 and Gerrard at 33/1.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 19:16

Hi Duty - in all the discussions and odds, has Thomas Frank's name popped up at all? I'm not saying he would be the best man for the job but he does tick some boxes and would imo be preferable to some of the other names being bandied about. He would also be a lot cheaper than Howe!

guildfordbat

Luckless Pedestrian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 19:34

Haven't seen his name pop up at all. He's out at 66/1, which indicates his chances are remote. Definitely would be a lot cheaper than Howe!

Duty281

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 20:24

Duty281 wrote:Haven't seen his name pop up at all. He's out at 66/1, which indicates his chances are remote. Definitely would be a lot cheaper than Howe!

Money isn't a problem given they paid Southgate 5m a year.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 20:43

super_realist wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Haven't seen his name pop up at all. He's out at 66/1, which indicates his chances are remote. Definitely would be a lot cheaper than Howe!

That's certainly true. You wouldn't know Southgate was getting paid that much by the media reaction. You'd almost start to believe he did it purely out of the goodness of his heart.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 22:31

Howe would be nuts to leave Newcastle. Only if his job was seriously at risk would he leave in my opinion but then he would be outed as being weak. Newcastle have owners that have unlimited money but they are hamstrung by Financial Fair Play rules. He is still young and must be up for the challenge at Newcastle.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Jul 2024 - 23:02

Howe doesnt want the job...or to leave Newcastle...

Its Potters if he interviews well enough...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 18 Jul 2024 - 0:19

super_realist wrote:

By all accounts thats on the pretty low end of PL money and doesn't account for actually buying him out of his contract
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 18 Jul 2024 - 0:21

Probably should be giving Carsley more credibility in this than we are. In the coaching pipeline already, in theory in position to maintain a lot of what Gareth implemented off the field and has the u21s playing a much more progressive style (and winning)
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 18 Jul 2024 - 0:34

GSC wrote:Probably should be giving Carsley more credibility in this than we are. In the coaching pipeline already, in theory in position to maintain a lot of what Gareth implemented off the field and has the u21s playing a much more progressive style (and winning)

Appointing Carsley would be a bit like reappointing Southgate: FA insider, no particular reputation from club football but having done well with the age group teams internationally. The media criticism would be as intense as it was of Southgate any time we don' t tear every opponent apart 4-0 at least.

Personally, I'd love to see the FA appoint Weigmann to the men's team, just to watch the Daily Mail office explode.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 18 Jul 2024 - 0:37

The media criticism will be harsh no matter what honestly.

Idk I get the drawbacks but I think another Southgate is a fairly lazy take (should probably also check the background of the manager who just dominated the Euros)
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 18 Jul 2024 - 1:00

GSC wrote:Probably should be giving Carsley more credibility in this than we are. In the coaching pipeline already, in theory in position to maintain a lot of what Gareth implemented off the field and has the u21s playing a much more progressive style (and winning)

I think he's the favourite. Perfect fit for the FA and they know he won't give them any aggro. Going for an outsider comes with risk attached and the FA don't like risk. Otherwise they would have appointed Clough instead of Greenwood.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 18 Jul 2024 - 1:15

dummy_half wrote:Personally, I'd love to see the FA appoint Weigmann to the men's team, just to watch the Daily Mail office explode.

This would actually be the worst possible appointment, when you consider she has zero experience coaching in men's football.

Same reason Phil Neville should have never gotten the England Women's job back in the day.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next