The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24

+24
Kingshu
BigGee
TheMildlyFranticLlama
carpet baboon
funnyExiledScot
CaptainHaddock
doctor_grey
Boston Exile
Rugby Fan
Unclear
tigertattie
LeinsterFan4life
jimbopip
Welshmushroom
Tramptastic
RugbyFan100
mikey_dragon
Galted
NeilyBroon
RDW
demosthenes
Old Man
Hazel Sapling
bsando
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24 Empty URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24

Post by bsando Tue 18 Jun 2024, 12:47 pm

URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24 Img_5811
URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24 Img_5810

Bulls vs Glasgow Warriors

Loftus Stadium, Pretoria SA
Saturday 22nd June

Glasgow Warriors win the URC final 2024!

Last edited by bsando on Mon 24 Jun 2024, 6:39 am; edited 3 times in total

bsando

NeilyBroon and Hazel Sapling like this post

Back to top Go down

URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24 Empty Re: URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 18 Jun 2024, 5:34 pm

Thank you Bsando.

Glasgow have no real pressure on this game. Having to travel to SA after a daunting trip to Thomond Park, there can't be any real expectation of them having to win. It is all on the Bulls to deliver. Weird as a Glasgow fan that the expectation is minimal changes.

I think this game could have implications for Scotland going forward. The players, particularly the pack, delivered last week. Doing it after a long haul flight in a packed Loftus Versfield against a team that stood up against Ireland...it would show fantastic grit.

Hazel Sapling

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24 Empty Re: URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24

Post by Old Man Tue 18 Jun 2024, 6:37 pm

Does anyone know Glasgow's record in SA during the past three seasons?

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Tue 18 Jun 2024, 7:51 pm

Don't think Glasgow have yet won in SA.

Yet...

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Jun 2024, 10:19 pm

This is going to be a brutal test for Glasgow. If playing away to Munster was hard, this is another level. Their physicality is off the charts - how many teams can say they have physically dominated Leinster?

Glasgow's defence is very organised and very brave but ultimately a good big 'un always beats a good 'little in and I can see the Bulls' relentless physicality and freakish athletes breaking Glasgow down. IMO they have a much greater threat out wide than Munster which is another thing Glasgow will have to deal with.

I see this similar to when Scotland play away to France - they may run rampant early on but we've got to find a way to stay in touch. With 20 minutes to go if Glasgow are within a score the Bulls could get edgy, and anything can happen.

Anyone know if Lord Stafford is fit? He'd be a good bench option to up the physicality later in the game.

Last edited by RDW on Wed 19 Jun 2024, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 19 Jun 2024, 6:40 am

Glasgow look like they’ve hit their best form at the perfect moment. That victory over Munster is probably one of the best club performances by a Scottish side in the history of the Celtic league. What I’m loving about Glasgow under Smith is that he has added bite to not just the pack but the whole XXIII. Glasgow’s marquee men are all in top form and the emerging youngsters are adding quality. With Jordan playing his best rugby over the past two games the team look more then capable to cause an upset in Pretoria. But for me it’s Josh Mackay who is brining the most to that Glasgow backline. His work rate vs Munster was unbelievable. He was causing all sorts of problems for them. Not just with the ball but in defence and his kicking and ariel game were outstanding. He’s a very classy player.

I’m singing praises for Glasgow but of course the bulls are going to be hugely difficult to beat at their home ground in front of their fans. Anything can happen and I think Glasgow will give it their all.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 19 Jun 2024, 7:39 am

Do I think Glasgow are going to win? Probably not.

Could they win? Probably could.

Either way what a way to finish the season. Nice to go in with no expectations. They'll be kicking themselves for that SA trip last month, I think the odds would've been different at Murrayfield!

Bulls have looked strong all season, Jake white is having a coaching renaissance with a very talented and powerful side.

I reckon it'll be 26-14 to bulls. I hope they leave a pre printed banner out saying "Bulls 2024 URC Champions" before the match, then that score may be reversed in Glasgow's favour!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 19 Jun 2024, 10:05 am

Old Man wrote:Does anyone know Glasgow's record in SA during the past three seasons?

2022 Stormers lost 7-32
2022 Bulls lost 17-29
2023 Sharks lost 12-40
2023 Lions lost 24-35
2024 Bulls lost 34-40
2024 Lions lost 21-44

Got these from Wikipedia, all URC group games.  Looking at their record I can only see a famous Glasgow win happening.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 19 Jun 2024, 11:04 am

Surprising if Glasgow have a worse record in SA than Ospreys and Cardiff - I suppose Leinster might do at this point too Wink.

The pressure is certainly on the Bulls, they threw the game with Northampton to get here. They're probably the richest SA team, have great players and academy teams by the look of it. I think they must be strong favourites.

mikey_dragon

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Wed 19 Jun 2024, 11:08 am

Hope the Bulls hammer Glasgow.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 19 Jun 2024, 11:17 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Surprising if Glasgow have a worse record in SA than Ospreys and Cardiff - I suppose Leinster might do at this point too Wink.

The pressure is certainly on the Bulls, they threw the game with Northampton to get here. They're probably the richest SA team, have great players and academy teams by the look of it. I think they must be strong favourites.

Have to say it's hard to look past bulls at the moment but am hoping that lessens the pressure on Glasgow!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 20 Jun 2024, 10:15 am

Very little press coverage in the build up to this final. Nothing on BBC Rugby Union site (apart from Scotland section) and footnote in the guardian’s Breakdown Column which is about England and SA. Find that a bit disappointing.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Jun 2024, 10:34 am

A fair point - if you looked on the BBC website you wouldn't even know the final was on!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 20 Jun 2024, 10:37 am

bsando wrote:Very little press coverage in the build up to this final. Nothing on BBC Rugby Union site (apart from Scotland section) and footnote in the guardian’s Breakdown Column which is about England and SA. Find that a bit disappointing.

Something something english media bias...

I'm half joking but your main media outlets for rugby in the UK are England focus (understandable considering population bia), Welsh focussed for the success they've had in the 10s, the Gatland narrative and the welsh obsession with rugby, Ireland focus because of how dominating Ireland/Leinster/Munster have been for the past 20 years.

Scotland meanwhile doesnt have a large supporter base and hasnt been that successful.

Still hurts that theres b*gger all commentary on the bbc page

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

bsando and Gicater like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Jun 2024, 10:39 am

Also doesn't help that Tom English, Andy Burk and Co are currently following and reporting on the football team.

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando and Tramptastic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 20 Jun 2024, 5:02 pm

I'll be watching it. Looking forward to see how this one goes. I dont think Leinster played tactically well against the Bulls in S.Africa. They had a rush defence and spent a lot of time running all over the place. At Altitude I dont think you can play the same way you normally can in terms of running everywhere.

Bulls are very smart at home - they dont press in defence a lot of the time unless they are in their own 22. They are very careful about conserving energy until the final third of the game at which point most teams struggle with the conditions.

I sense with Franco Smith he will know all about that though so you would imagine Glasgow will have some sort of game plan.

I reckon Bulls have to be favourites but I can't help but feel Glasgow have a good chance to upset the applecart.

Either way as a neutral I will enjoy this one for sure......for me either side deserve to win as they have both been very good this season.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 20 Jun 2024, 5:02 pm

On a side note Premier sport only charged me 79 bucks for the next 12 months.....did they have some sort of deal on as usually its 99 bucks.

I would love it if all rugby was on their channel. Would make it so much easier to follow various leagues and internationals. Plus the subscription is reasonable compared to the crazy TNT prices which mostly is going towards the football not the rugby.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 20 Jun 2024, 5:06 pm

They do have the Top14 games on their so thats something. Would be better though if the Premiership and European Cups were on there too.....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 21 Jun 2024, 10:14 am

RDW wrote:A fair point - if you looked on the BBC website you wouldn't even know the final was on!
They have an article about Eddie Jones opinion on Borthwick and England  picard

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 21 Jun 2024, 11:03 am

bsando wrote:06.21.2024
RDW wrote:A fair point - if you looked on the BBC website you wouldn't even know the final was on!
They have an article about Eddie Jones opinion on Borthwick and England  picard

"I'm just sticking up for the little guy mate!"

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 21 Jun 2024, 12:11 pm

Teams oot, same as last week except meatball back on the bench? An experience thing?

Hard to argue the rest though.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Jun 2024, 12:13 pm

Maybe for a last minute drop goal to snatch the title.

Game is a sell out too - likely 99.99% South African!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 21 Jun 2024, 12:15 pm

RDW wrote:Maybe for a last minute drop goal to snatch the title.

Game is a sell out too - likely 99.99% South African!

Never know, there may be a SA Scots contingent! Steyn must still have friends and family out there!

So 99.8% seems fairer!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 21 Jun 2024, 12:56 pm

So, clutching at threads here, despite; home advantage, altitude and travel, there are glimmers of hope for the Warriors.
Statistically, Blues defence is not the best in the league. They regularly concede 20+ points at home. (But tend to score more)
Glasgow's defence has been very, very good this season.
Blues tend to kick most in the first hour and unleash their backs in the last 20 minutes, when visitors are most affected by the altitude.
If they kick a lot to Glasgow in the first 40 then we might have a defendable lead going into the last quarter. Oh and they have been shorn of their Willie Le Roux, so their kicking game may not be as spot on as usual.

House Elf and Meatball will be crucial. If we're defending in the last 20 then a smart kicking game is required. Meatball is the man for that. In the thin air long range penalties are kickable....Meatball is the man.
The House Elf could find himself playing wing as easily as replacing Hornito at 9.Personally I'd rather have him at 9 and Hornito on the wing if it comes to replacing an injured wing. Hornito's box kicks against Munster did not inspire confidence.

Did I mention Willie Le Roux is missing Yahoo

Glasgow Warriors team to face the Vodacom Bulls at Loftus Versfeld, Saturday 22 June, kick-off 5pm UK time. You can watch the match live on Premier Sports, or follow all the action in our Live Match Centre at glasgowwarriors.org.
1 Jamie Bhatti (105)
2 Johnny Matthews (72)
3 Zander Fagerson (148)
4 Scott Cummings (125)
5 Richie Gray (114)
6 Matt Fagerson (110)
7 Rory Darge (47)
8 Jack Dempsey (49)
9 George Horne (118)
10 Tom Jordan (49)
11 Kyle Steyn (C) (76)
12 Sione Tuipulotu (54)
13 Huw Jones (70)
14 Sebastian Cancelliere (37)
15 Josh McKay (48)
Replacements
16 George Turner (101)
17 Nathan McBeth (41)
18 Oli Kebble (104)
19 Max Williamson (19)
20 Euan Ferrie (20)
21 Henco Venter (21)
22 Jamie Dobie (67)
23 Duncan Weir (150)

Bulls:

15 Devon Williams, 14 Sergeal Petersen, 13 David Kriel, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Kurt-Lee Arendse, 10 Johan Goosen, 9 Embrose Papier, 8 Cameron Hanekom, 7 Elrigh Louw, 6 Marco van Staden, 5 Ruan Nortje (captain), 4 Ruan Vermaak, 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Johan Grobbelaar, 1 Gerhard Steenekamp

Substitutes: 16 Akker van der Merwe, 17 Simphiwe Matanzima, 18 Francois Klopper, 19 Reinhardt Ludwig, 20 Nizaam Carr, 21 Zak Burger, 22 Chris Smith, 23 Cornel Smit

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 21 Jun 2024, 1:06 pm

I think it's up front where the damage will be done. Arguably, the Bulls 1-8 should all be wearing a Springbok jersey. A lot was made about missing Moodie last week, only for Petersen to come in and have a stormer. The SA back 3 players these days are all rapid and good in the air too. I think Glasgow have more class in midfield but they need to get the ball on the front foot first. Good luck Glasgow! Very Happy

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 21 Jun 2024, 1:17 pm

Front foot ball will probably decide the match. Glasgow have an excellent back row...as do the Bulls. If Darge and Demsey can stay on the right side of the ref then we could be in with a shout.
The Glasgow bench, forwards, all have a bit of niggle about them. They could all start a fight in an empty house.

I do believe it'll be a titanic struggle between two very good sides. Glasgow CAN do this. Whether they do or not is a different matter.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 21 Jun 2024, 2:34 pm

We did not set the tone against the Bulls in our match in May and we can't be that generous again.

Last time out we had to start Brown at lock and R Gray is a big step up as well as the young gun was able to do as a converted BS. We also have Turner in place of Stewart, H Jones for McDowall and Kebble ahead of Walker though that last one is not a great sign for Scotland.

The Bulls have lost Le Roux and Moodie so would say they are slightly weaker.

Should be a fantastic contest but Bulls should be 7-10 point favourites

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 21 Jun 2024, 6:01 pm

Damn damn damn.

I've now slipped into that state of mind where I genuinely believe we're winning tomorrow.
Fecc. It's Karen Gillan WILL phone me and say she's had a culinary mishap and will I help her to get all this double cream off her body?
You just know it's bound to happen...and yet.. Gatsby-like I stand gazing forlornly across that blue lawn.
If Ragnar and the Wombat set the tone and Darge shows how special he can be then we can dream.
Oh yes Karen we can dream.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 21 Jun 2024, 9:44 pm

jimbopip wrote:Damn damn damn.

I've now slipped into that state of mind where I genuinely believe we're winning tomorrow.
Fecc. It's Karen Gillan WILL phone me and say she's had a culinary mishap and will I help her to get all this double cream off her body?
You just know it's bound to happen...and yet.. Gatsby-like I stand gazing forlornly across that blue lawn.
If Ragnar and the Wombat set the tone and Darge shows how special he can be then we can dream.
Oh yes Karen we can dream.

I was very confused by this. Then I realised I'd read it in the style of Gollum. However if you identify as Karen, my apologies!

On the rugby it's good to believe, just not if it's in any way related to Scottish rugby!

Just by mentioning the faintest whiff of belief you've just bumped the Bulls' win margin by another 5 points.

NeilyBroon

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat 22 Jun 2024, 9:35 am

I have now relapsed into full blown Private Fraser...wurr doomed, doomed ah say.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 22 Jun 2024, 9:46 am

Best of luck Glasgow fans, would love to see you guys win.

LeinsterFan4life

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 22 Jun 2024, 5:18 pm

Bulls forwards are bullying the warriors forwards. Big time
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 22 Jun 2024, 5:19 pm

Big crowd there tonight - total sell out for Bulls.

Bulls leading 6-0 atm - Cagey game with both sides feeling each other out.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 22 Jun 2024, 5:23 pm

Could it be that Italian Ref is the best ref in the league? He's pretty solid.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 22 Jun 2024, 5:26 pm

Not looking good for Glasgow at the moment! They need to get points in the game and settle down.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 22 Jun 2024, 5:35 pm

Think it may be bulls night tonight... Unless we score next we're pretty stuffed I think.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 22 Jun 2024, 5:37 pm

Your right - Bulls are defo on top at the moment. Glasgow need to try to keep in this by scoring next - down 13-0 at the moment.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 22 Jun 2024, 5:42 pm

oppph glasgow blew a chance to get on the board there.....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 22 Jun 2024, 5:43 pm

Too impatient, getting the jitters I think. Hopefully can hold this score and have a good half time talk.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 22 Jun 2024, 5:45 pm

I wonder when the last time they have seen this sort of crowd for a Bulls game - must have been a long time ago

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 22 Jun 2024, 5:52 pm

Thank god, needed that. Go in, reset. Still 40 mins to go!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 22 Jun 2024, 5:52 pm

Try Glasgow - right on half time - they needed that to stay in this......

We have a game here still......

They could do with the conversion as well

Welshmushroom

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 22 Jun 2024, 5:53 pm

Great kick - 13-7 Bulls

Glasgow will be happy with how that ended.....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 22 Jun 2024, 5:55 pm

Glasgow are being smarter than Leinster were last week. They are not trying to run their own legs off.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Unclear Sat 22 Jun 2024, 6:07 pm

Smarter than Leinster and hungrier than Leinster. Glasgow look to be working hard to get a victory, and showing some great skills.

Unclear

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 22 Jun 2024, 6:14 pm

How the hell can the ref ping for holding on when the jackeler has his erse on the floor???
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 22 Jun 2024, 6:24 pm

Good maul try - been doing that all season

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 22 Jun 2024, 6:25 pm

kicks the conversion - 16-14 to Bulls - just 2 points in it now

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 22 Jun 2024, 6:26 pm

Need more mauls from the weege
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 22 Jun 2024, 6:27 pm

Bulls look nervous now - Glasgow pack looks like they have the edge in this second half so far

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next