The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24

+24
Kingshu
BigGee
TheMildlyFranticLlama
carpet baboon
funnyExiledScot
CaptainHaddock
doctor_grey
Boston Exile
Rugby Fan
Unclear
tigertattie
LeinsterFan4life
jimbopip
Welshmushroom
Tramptastic
RugbyFan100
mikey_dragon
Galted
NeilyBroon
RDW
demosthenes
Old Man
Hazel Sapling
bsando
28 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24 - Page 3 Empty URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24

Post by bsando Tue 18 Jun 2024, 12:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24 - Page 3 Img_5811
URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24 - Page 3 Img_5810

Bulls vs Glasgow Warriors

Loftus Stadium, Pretoria SA
Saturday 22nd June

Glasgow Warriors win the URC final 2024!

Last edited by bsando on Mon 24 Jun 2024, 6:39 am; edited 3 times in total

bsando

NeilyBroon and Hazel Sapling like this post

Back to top Go down

URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24 - Page 3 Empty Re: URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24

Post by bsando Sun 23 Jun 2024, 9:29 am

RDW wrote:Just finished the game - very similar to last week and Glasgow managed the energy and determination to back it up. Remarkable win.

Ultimately Glasgow's big name players stepped up and the Bulls' didn't. It's also crazy to think the effort involved a bunch of youngsters who we'd never heard of at the start of the season and someone like Henco Venter, who looked like a complete journeyman signing but he's had a stormer of a season and made a huge impact off the bench.

Hopefully Toonie has been paying attention as he has pretty much the opposite approach to how to play these big games, and it's been a failure time and time again. Glasgow showing how it's done!

Toonie's days are numbered I think. Glasgow may struggle to hold onto Smith now, he'll be attracting attention from other clubs and Unions. The SRU may have to make a big call sooner rather than later.

bsando

Back to top Go down

URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24 - Page 3 Empty Re: URC Final | Glasgow Warriors URC Champions 23/24

Post by jimbopip Sun 23 Jun 2024, 9:32 am

tigertattie wrote:5 mins to go and jimbo may get to stop calling the weege the once and future champions

Ah, I can see why the correct use of nomenclature might confuse the Luvvies on here.... Glasgow are CHAMP EEE ONZZZZ Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
That's us for the next year. After that chin
The Once And Future...had a lovely Arthurian ring to it, Twice And Future Headscratch Not so much. Serial Champs? Too soon. Still, we have a year to come up with something.
Not a problem my Luvvie brothers will be having any time soon.

Actually, it was fantastic to read these boards and see everyone getting behind Glasgow. For all our good natured joking we are Scottish rugby folk and we want both sides to do well. For sure I'd be cheering the Luvvies if they ever looked like winning anything. Other than the Annual Slaughter Of The Effeminates.

jimbopip

RDW and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 23 Jun 2024, 9:37 am

BigGee wrote:We'll I made it down to Yorkshire today. After all the hills of the borders, Northumbria and County Durham, which nearly killed me, the road finally flattened out today and I had a much nicer ride through pan flat East Yorkshire

So having had a good day, it just got so much better when I saw this incredible result. Did any of us really Beleive this was possible?

We'll the Warriors players and coaching staff certainly did, there is certainly some steel in that team now.

I am off to Spalding tomorrow, a spin through the Fens, which is also pleasingly flat. 4 days till I get to Dover now. I am looking forward to getting home.

https://justgiving.com/page/grahame-dick-1715528190885

For anyone interested in supporting my chsrity

Thanks

BG

Gee, when you hit the south/south east of this green and pleasant land...if you need any logistical support call me. I'll do whatever I can to keep you going.

jimbopip

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Sun 23 Jun 2024, 9:55 am

Congrats Glasgow!! clap Superb

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 23 Jun 2024, 9:55 am

How we feeling this morning Glasgow fans? I think this win could take a long time to sink in. You could make a reasonable arguement that the URC is now the most competitive league in the world....and Glasgow won it!

Not only that but the least last year's champions away from home in the semi then the red hot favourites away in the final.

Absolutely remarkable.

RDW
Founder
Founder

George Carlin and jimbopip like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 23 Jun 2024, 10:28 am

I just wish flights were cheaper so fans could travel to SA easier. It would have been an incredible atmosphere at Loftus last night. Looked like a lot of fun. Bulls fans probably didn’t expect to lose like that by looks of it, their fans made a pretty swift exit.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 23 Jun 2024, 10:34 am

bsando wrote:I just wish flights were cheaper so fans could travel to SA easier. It would have been an incredible atmosphere at Loftus last night. Looked like a lot of fun. Bulls fans probably didn’t expect to lose like that by looks of it, their fans made a pretty swift exit.

It reminded me of Martin Johnson's pep talk on the pitch before a Wales-England match, "Won't it be nice boys, an hour from now when this place is silent?". I loved Glasgow getting the trophy in front of all those empty seats..

jimbopip

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 23 Jun 2024, 10:38 am

clap
jimbopip wrote:
bsando wrote:I just wish flights were cheaper so fans could travel to SA easier. It would have been an incredible atmosphere at Loftus last night. Looked like a lot of fun. Bulls fans probably didn’t expect to lose like that by looks of it, their fans made a pretty swift exit.

It reminded me of Martin Johnson's pep talk on the pitch before a Wales-England match, "Won't it be nice boys, an hour from now when this place is silent?". I loved Glasgow getting the trophy in front of all those empty seats.
I think they enjoyed it quite a lot too! Congrats Jimbo, that was such a huge performance from Glasgow. Better than 2015 even perhaps?

bsando

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 23 Jun 2024, 10:44 am

Bsando Hug

My memories of 2015 was that they went for Ulster from the off and it was never really in doubt. This year was very different; the mini-collapse in the last few weeks of the season. The fear that Stormers might put us out. The mountain that was the trip to Thomond. The Everest that was 13-0 down away to the Bulls after 40 minutes. This team have cojones of steel.
No point in comparing them, they both deserve a place in Scottish rugby's heart.

jimbopip

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 23 Jun 2024, 10:58 am

jimbopip wrote:Bsando Hug

My memories of 2015 was that they went for Ulster from the off and it was never really in doubt. This year was very different; the mini-collapse in the last few weeks of the season. The fear that Stormers might put us out. The mountain that was the trip to Thomond. The Everest that was 13-0 down away to the Bulls after 40 minutes. This team have cojones of steel.
No point in comparing them, they both deserve a place in Scottish rugby's heart.
Absolutely, well said Jimbo. Hope you had a dram last night to celebrate.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 23 Jun 2024, 11:01 am

bsando wrote:

My memories of 2015 was that they went for Ulster Munster Shocked from the off and it was never really in doubt. This year was very different; the mini-collapse in the last few weeks of the season. The fear that Stormers might put us out. The mountain that was the trip to Thomond. The Everest that was 13-0 down away to the Bulls after 40 minutes. This team have cojones of steel.

I did have a little snifter, but not in a Michael Gove way, obvs.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 23 Jun 2024, 11:14 am

jimbopip wrote:
bsando wrote:

My memories of 2015 was that they went for Ulster Munster   Shocked from the off and it was never really in doubt. This year was very different; the mini-collapse in the last few weeks of the season. The fear that Stormers might put us out. The mountain that was the trip to Thomond. The Everest that was 13-0 down away to the Bulls after 40 minutes. This team have cojones of steel.

I did have a little snifter, but not in a Michael Gove way, obvs.
Laugh

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 23 Jun 2024, 12:05 pm

Soooo, from a supporter of the best Rugby team in England to the supporters of the best Rugby team in the rest of the Home Nations (adding Italy to the Commonwealth for this, SA is already in the warm loving embrace of His Majesty, The King):  Sure feels good to be top of the world, eh?

We should have the mother of all drink-ups to celebrate. I would allow Michael Gove to cater it as long as he doesn't stick around....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 23 Jun 2024, 12:37 pm

Or stick his nose in.

You are on to a good idea Doc.

As I have said previously, if you're in the country we should take in a match. Saints, Warriors, Scotland....I couldn't cheer Engurlund on though.
I'm pretty certain Caz the quiet Bok and Big Jason the second row's second row will be taking me up to that Murrayfield for the Autumn International v the Boks. That might be a good one for a 606 cocktail luncheon.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Jun 2024, 12:51 pm

Kiss me, Jim. The boys did it.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 23 Jun 2024, 2:35 pm

How are you today GC?
I'm feeling champion.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 23 Jun 2024, 8:43 pm

I have watched the whole game now. Everyone in the team was at least 7 out of 10 and most importantly, our senior test players all stepped up.

Players I was always less than 100% on came of age too. The loose forward trio of Darge, Dempsey and Fagerson looked like it was their last game on earth. Zander Fagerson played yet another 80 minutes against that pack and at altitude - he genuinely could be a Lions test contender if he can sustain that kind of engine. I have never been completely sold on Cummings but he stood up like a giant.

It won't be lost on Scotland fans that this is precisely the sort of game that Scotland would lose at the death 4 times out of 5. However, even when it got wild I never thought in that second half that we looked like losing. So much to be proud of and in some ways better than 2015 because nobody really expected this, I don't think.

The greatest complement you can give Franco is that the team is greater than the sum of its parts and that is something any head coach can be proud of and have attributed to them.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 23 Jun 2024, 9:00 pm

Can Scotland do a Glasgow and turn this around in the second half?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 23 Jun 2024, 9:32 pm

George Carlin wrote:I have watched the whole game now. Everyone in the team was at least 7 out of 10 and most importantly, our senior test players all stepped up.

Players I was always less than 100% on came of age too. The loose forward trio of Darge, Dempsey and Fagerson looked like it was their last game on earth. Zander Fagerson played yet another 80 minutes against that pack and at altitude - he genuinely could be a Lions test contender if he can sustain that kind of engine. I have never been completely sold on Cummings but he stood up like a giant.

It won't be lost on Scotland fans that this is precisely the sort of game that Scotland would lose at the death 4 times out of 5. However, even when it got wild I never thought in that second half that we looked like losing. So much to be proud of and in some ways better than 2015 because nobody really expected this, I don't think.

The greatest complement you can give Franco is that the team is greater than the sum of its parts and that is something any head coach can be proud of and have attributed to them.
Was a heck of a performance.  And Glasgow had other opportunities to put a larger margin between the team, as well.  I'm still wondering why they didn't take a drop goal when attacking in Bulls territory late on.  Would have put the margin up to 8.  This is the kind of thinking which is necessary for Scotland to beat more than just sorry England....Run

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 23 Jun 2024, 10:11 pm

tigertattie wrote:Can Scotland do a Glasgow and turn this around in the second half?

Guess not
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 23 Jun 2024, 10:21 pm

tigertattie wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Can Scotland do a Glasgow and turn this around in the second half?

Guess not

It's hopefully give toonie food for thought on his (bad) tactics for these must win games.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 24 Jun 2024, 6:08 am

Yeah I hope he doesn’t have Steve Clarke in anytime soon to chat to the players..

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 24 Jun 2024, 9:52 am

George Carlin wrote:I have watched the whole game now. Everyone in the team was at least 7 out of 10 and most importantly, our senior test players all stepped up.

That held up tackle at the very end....when the players all get up, who is that lying on his back beneath the Bulls ball carrier, winning the game? Ragnar The Pretty that's who. Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 24 Jun 2024, 9:57 am

Anyway peeps, as Doc Grey knows I am a big Blues fan. Mississippi blues not South African Blues.
I put on Blind Watermelon MacTavish this morning and he serenaded the neighbours with,

"Woke up this morning and my dog was dead,
The Giro was late and and I've shat the bed
Who cares, who really cares
Cos Glasgow are cham pee onzz
Still.
CHAM PEEE ONNNZZZZ"

I just love those authentic blues sentiments.

jimbopip

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 24 Jun 2024, 10:07 am

Ten minute review from a Bulls supporter.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 25 Jun 2024, 10:56 am

jimbopip wrote:Or stick his nose in.

As I have said previously, if you're in the country we should take in a match. Saints, Warriors, Scotland....I couldn't cheer Engurlund on though.
Oh, c'mon, you know you want to..... Run

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 25 Jun 2024, 11:02 am

doctor_grey wrote:

vomit vomit vomit

jimbopip

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 25 Jun 2024, 11:26 am

jimbopip wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

vomit vomit vomit

I suspect Jimbo would rather admit Nick De Luca was a top class centre than support England

RDW
Founder
Founder

TheMildlyFranticLlama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 25 Jun 2024, 11:33 am

Engurlund are the Luvvies of international rugby; they flatter to deceive, rarely live up to the hype and watching them is the visual equivalent of chewing wallpaper paste.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Tue 25 Jun 2024, 1:45 pm

For me this win by Glasgow has been the most impressive cup win in the three year history of the URC, even though Glasgow has been good throughout the season, I think most expected the Irish teams or SA tteams would win this.

And for Glasgow to go through the finals schedule the manner in which they did, beating Munster away and the Bulls away for now (never know what happens next season) has been the most remarkable thus far

Old Man

doctor_grey and jimbopip like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 25 Jun 2024, 9:07 pm

jimbopip wrote:Engurlund are the Luvvies of international rugby; they flatter to deceive, rarely live up to the hype and watching them is the visual equivalent of chewing wallpaper paste.

Not sure who this is harsh on! From Edinburgh's perspective I don't think we ever flatter, and I'm not sure there's ever any hype to live up to! Does one "chew" wallpaper paste??

I think Jimbo's put downs have gotten sloppy over the many years....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 25 Jun 2024, 9:19 pm

Greetings peeps

Just to let you all know that I have now made if down to Battlebridge at the bottom end of Essex. Tomorrow I'll cross the Thames at Tilbury and will ride through Kent to Dover. I will be there by tomorrow evening.

I have had every weather imaginable on this trip, cold, wet, wind and now baking sun. I was in fact wilting a bit today, but the incentive to finish will mean I am sure to have one more decent day in my legs.

Il report in when I cross the line.

PS - I am posting this here as the club thread looks very full now and needs to be locked down.

Anyone fancy starting a new one?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

doctor_grey, RDW, bsando, NeilyBroon and Unclear like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 25 Jun 2024, 10:53 pm

jimbopip wrote:Anyway peeps, as Doc Grey knows I am a big Blues fan. Mississippi blues not South African Blues.
I put on Blind Watermelon MacTavish this morning and he serenaded the neighbours with,

"Woke up this morning and my dog was dead,
The Giro was late and and I've shat the bed
Who cares, who really cares
Cos Glasgow are cham pee onzz
Still.
CHAM  PEEE ONNNZZZZ"

I just love those authentic blues sentiments.
Got My Mojo Working

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 26 Jun 2024, 10:30 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Engurlund are the Luvvies of international rugby; they flatter to deceive, rarely live up to the hype and watching them is the visual equivalent of chewing wallpaper paste.

Not sure who this is harsh on! From Edinburgh's perspective I don't think we ever flatter, and I'm not sure there's ever any hype to live up to! Does one "chew" wallpaper paste??

I think Jimbo's put downs have gotten sloppy over the many years....[/quote  

I almost spat out my Solvite Ready Mixed Industrial Strength Adhesive when I read that. The Luvvies can put out a back three of Duhan-Banjo Patterson-ADHD Kid and still look slower than Liz Truss when asked how many beans make five. If that's not flattering to deceive what is?
The Knitwear models advertise themselves as a rugby club; if that isn't overinflated hype then Rishi is a political giant.
Of course you chew it: it's too lumpy otherwise.

p.s. Fes...still CHAM  PEE YONZZZ Yahoo

p.p.s. Dempsey's disallowed try... it was a forward pass which was why the receiver didn't catch it. If it had been flat Turner would have had man and ball, instead of man and no ball. As such it should have been scrum advantage to Glasgow so Dempsey was totally entitled to pick up the ball and sprint 60 metres to score. But I'm not bitter. laughing

p.p.p.ps. Love the quote function. Doncha just.

jimbopip

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 26 Jun 2024, 12:37 pm

https://www.theoffsideline.com/glasgow-warriors-2015-2024-dream-team/

I have to say I totally agree with these selections. What a team that would be!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 26 Jun 2024, 10:29 pm

Just to say guys

I made it to Dover just after 8pm this evening.

What a trip it has been, from the frozen north to the sun baked south. This was far harder than the Lands End to John o Groats I did previously. Both in terms of terrain and aging legs!

Thanks to everyone for the support, it has meant the world to me to have friends along with me for the ride.

Am heading home now and looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

RDW, bsando, Rugby Fan, Unclear, TheMildlyFranticLlama, Hazel Sapling, RiscaGame and TAFKA The Oracle like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Jun 2024, 11:21 pm

BigGee wrote:Just to say guys

I made it to Dover just after 8pm this evening.

What a trip it has been, from the frozen north to the sun baked south. This was far harder than the Lands End to John o Groats I did previously. Both in terms of terrain and aging legs!

Thanks to everyone for the support, it has meant the world to me to have friends along with me for the ride.

Am heading home now and looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight.

What a legend - well done Biggee!

RDW
Founder
Founder

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3