The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Schalk Burger blow could hand Wales World Cup boost

+12
johnpartle
Luckless Pedestrian
Biltong
Sam
nottins_jones
MBTGOG
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Geordie
pete (buachaill on eirne)
funnyExiledScot
munkian
Shifty
16 posters

Go down

Schalk Burger blow could hand Wales World Cup boost Empty Schalk Burger blow could hand Wales World Cup boost

Post by Shifty Tue 05 Jul 2011, 14:00

SPRINGBOKS superstar Schalk Burger has emerged as an injury doubt for the world champions’ defence of their crown in New Zealand.

Burger would be a huge World Cup loss to South Africa who open their Pool D campaign against Wales in Wellington on September 11.

The Springboks flanker is likely to miss most of the upcoming Tri-Nations after undergoing surgery to his hand on Sunday.

The Stormers skipper did not come out for the second half of his side’s Super Rugby semi-final defeat to the Crusaders at Newlands last weekend.

Burger dislocated his thumb and damaged ligaments in his right hand and has already undergone an operation.

Allister Coetzee, the Stormers coach, confirmed that Burger has been operated on and was expected to be sidelined for six to eight weeks.

“Schalk was operated on Sunday morning,” confirmed Coetzee.

“He will be out for six to eight weeks and definitely be ready for the Rugby World Cup.”
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Schalk Burger blow could hand Wales World Cup boost Empty Re: Schalk Burger blow could hand Wales World Cup boost

Post by Shifty Tue 05 Jul 2011, 14:01

Hopefully he wont be playing against Wales in the World Cup opener!
He's a menace on the field!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Schalk Burger blow could hand Wales World Cup boost Empty Re: Schalk Burger blow could hand Wales World Cup boost

Post by munkian Tue 05 Jul 2011, 14:03

AlynDavies wrote:Hopefully he wont be playing against Wales in the World Cup opener!
He's a menace on the field!

Maybe he'll be less likely to gouge with a freshly operated on hand, the man is an animal and should have been heavily cited.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 05 Jul 2011, 15:23

To be honest, SA have a glut of possibilities in the back row, and could use Smith, Brussouw and Kankowski instead, with Spies on the bench.

I wouldn't get too excited.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Jul 2011, 15:33

funnyExiledScot wrote:To be honest, SA have a glut of possibilities in the back row, and could use Smith, Brussouw and Kankowski instead, with Spies on the bench.

Correct.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 05 Jul 2011, 15:39

Unfortunately true, full of fat headed boorish eye gougers
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 05 Jul 2011, 15:47

Risca Rev wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:To be honest, SA have a glut of possibilities in the back row, and could use Smith, Brussouw and Kankowski instead, with Spies on the bench.

Correct.

Very true.

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 05 Jul 2011, 15:50

Many would prefer Brussow over Burger......

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 05 Jul 2011, 15:56

What has happened to Broussow post injury?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Tue 05 Jul 2011, 15:58

As,

Everytime he comes back, he looks like he's never been out. But he just keeps breaking down.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 05 Jul 2011, 16:07

:yikes: Would love to have seen McCaw, Broussow, Pocock, and others battling it out - i think that there are a number of v strong 7s around at the moment

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 05 Jul 2011, 16:13

Do you think out and out 7's are still a critical part of the game?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Tue 05 Jul 2011, 16:20

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

Correct.

Very true.

Exceptionally true and the list doesn't stop at Spies.

“He will be out for six to eight weeks and definitely be ready for the Rugby World Cup.”

Doesn't that tell you all you need to know about your non-article?
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue 05 Jul 2011, 16:23

GeordieFalcon wrote:Many would prefer Brussow over Burger......
I would... If I was South African, but because Im english I'd prefer Burger :P

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 05 Jul 2011, 16:56

GeordieFalcon wrote:Do you think out and out 7's are still a critical part of the game?

Geordie, Depends whether you're talking about the particular skill set traditionally associated with a 7, or about the particular individuals mentioned? I personally an a fan of a traditional 7, am always happy when my teams play one, and am even happier when the oppo select a more 6.5 type openside

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:23

Juan smith and Brussouw are both recovering, seeing that they play as team mates at the cheetahs, they will be a very good combination. I would like to see willem Alberts at 8 with these two.

The combination just makes sense, both alberts and Smith are very strong ball carriers, has high workrate and will compliment each other, add to that Brussouw, who himself is a decent ball carrier, but a terrier on the ball.

Perhaps our best combination at 6,7,8
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:32

Biltong, that is a strong combination, and the description of Brussouw (apologies for earlier spelling glitches, I knew it had an extra vowel somewhere!) as a terrior is very apt - his ability to rip the ball clean from tackled players is the best I've ever seen - huge upper body strength and great technique. Am delighted that Rosco Rennie has been working hard on this aspect of his game

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:38

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Biltong, that is a strong combination, and the description of Brussouw (apologies for earlier spelling glitches, I knew it had an extra vowel somewhere!) as a terrior is very apt - his ability to rip the ball clean from tackled players is the best I've ever seen - huge upper body strength and great technique. Am delighted that Rosco Rennie has been working hard on this aspect of his game

Yeah, he may not have played a lot for the Cheetahs this season due to injuries, but he certainly had an ifluence on his team mates, what struck me about the cheetahs was that everyone was turning ver ball at ruck situation. Perhaps he shared a few secrets with them?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:57

nottins_jones wrote:

Doesn't that tell you all you need to know about your non-article?

nottins_jones, you beat me to it!

Don't tell me, Alyn - you lifted this from the Western Mail, didn't you? 🤦

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:26

A blow to SA if he doesn't go at all, but in agreement with a number of others, I feel Brussow is the better player, so if it forces the Boks to start Brussow, with Schalk fully recovering in the wings over the beginning of the tournamnet, I feel SA will be better for it.

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed 06 Jul 2011, 21:35

There is a very good chance that I am going to make a divvy of myself here but here goes ..... There is one Saffer back-rower I really like and rate (I have the name Danni Roussow in my head - is that right?) - he has a handful of caps but alsways seems to get overlooked. Apart from NZ and maybe Ireland, I think he woud walk into any other team's back-row

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by english warrior Wed 06 Jul 2011, 21:41

Shalke Burger is a great player and his loss is a massive blow to any team, but i fear that if South Africa were to put out their 3rd team against Wales, i would not bet against them, so wide is the gulf in class and depth between them!

english warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 06 Jul 2011, 22:44

Wales Grasp At Straw - hold the headlines!

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Thu 07 Jul 2011, 03:34

johnpartle wrote:A blow to SA if he doesn't go at all, but in agreement with a number of others, I feel Brussow is the better player, so if it forces the Boks to start Brussow, with Schalk fully recovering in the wings over the beginning of the tournamnet, I feel SA will be better for it.

I agree John. We haven't seen Brussow and Smith for a while, but both have shown they do not need a long run to get back in form. If they start with an 8 that isn't named Spies, their back row will be a weapon. Schalk off the bench as well.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Thu 07 Jul 2011, 03:40

InjuredYetAgain wrote:There is a very good chance that I am going to make a divvy of myself here but here goes ..... There is one Saffer back-rower I really like and rate (I have the name Danni Roussow in my head - is that right?) - he has a handful of caps but alsways seems to get overlooked. Apart from NZ and maybe Ireland, I think he woud walk into any other team's back-row

Roussow could be right IYA. Big tough oh dear who seems to mainly play lock off the bench for the bulls (behind Botha, but I though their respective form for most of the year had them the wrong way round). Pretty sure he was the Bok 8 for RWC07. Kankowski is another possible, and he has less caps.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 07 Jul 2011, 07:20

boomeranga wrote:
InjuredYetAgain wrote:There is a very good chance that I am going to make a divvy of myself here but here goes ..... There is one Saffer back-rower I really like and rate (I have the name Danni Roussow in my head - is that right?) - he has a handful of caps but alsways seems to get overlooked. Apart from NZ and maybe Ireland, I think he woud walk into any other team's back-row

Roussow could be right IYA. Big tough oh dear who seems to mainly play lock off the bench for the bulls (behind Botha, but I though their respective form for most of the year had them the wrong way round). Pretty sure he was the Bok 8 for RWC07. Kankowski is another possible, and he has less caps.

Yes, Danie rossouw is a monster, it may surprise you that he has had 45 caps for the Springboks. The problem has always been that he came on as a subsitution many times. He adds a lot to the line out, and is a superb ball carrier, defender and has a high work rate. He became a utility forward because of the Bakkies Botha and Victor Matfield combination for the Bulls, and hence he played no 8 many times.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down