The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worst act of humility after a fight?

+20
The genius of PBF
Young_Towzer
bellchees
The Galveston Giant
BALTIMORA
Sugar Boy Sweetie
AlexHuckerby
Atila
Valero's Conscience
no-mas
Super D Boon
coxy0001
Mind the windows Tino.
88Chris05
bhb001
Rowley
Union Cane
Scottrf
eddyfightfan
ONETWOFOREVER
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Worst act of humility after a fight? Empty Worst act of humility after a fight?

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:16 pm

For me it has to be Chavez total disregard for the accomplishment of Frankie Randell in their first fight. Randell put in 1 of the best performances I have ever seen and Chavez dismisses it. Randell knocks Chavez down for the first time in his career and Chavez dismisses it. It was a close fought fight yes but everything Chavez threw at Randell came back at him, plus Julio had 2 points deducted. After 89 fights you would think Chavez would have learned a little humbleness and humility.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Worst act of humility after a fight? Empty Re: Worst act of humility after a fight?

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:18 pm

zab throwing a stool and the ref after the tzyu fight is up there

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Worst act of humility after a fight? Empty Re: Worst act of humility after a fight?

Post by Scottrf Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:20 pm

Is humility ever bad? I can't think of an example.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:20 pm

Without doubt James 'The Harlem Hammer' Butler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI3D7h5yxOs
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:20 pm

Scottrf wrote:Is humility ever bad? I can't think of an example.

Quit your pedantry, you know what he means.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:21 pm

If you are talking about fighters who have always shown a distinct lack of class in defeat I have to say I have always found Barrera seriously lacking in this respect, always seems ready to offer any and every excuse available.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

Audley always takes the biscuit, with after the Haye fight being a great example. Something along the lines of I had him just where I wanted him and then he hit me.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:25 pm

Not a fighter, but Enzo Calzaghe's rants after Haye beat his charge Maccarinelli were virtually obscene.

"He only looked good because Enzo allowed him to look good."

"If it had gone twelve rounds, Enzo would have killed him"

One or two other choice quotes, too. Pretty disgraceful, in my eyes.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:26 pm

Union Cane wrote:Without doubt James 'The Harlem Hammer' Butler.

For those unaware of the story...

"After losing by unanimous decision to Richard Grant, Butler had his gloves removed and went to Grant's side of the ring for an expected exchange of congratulations. Suddenly, Butler hit the unsuspecting Grant with a right hook to the jaw. Grant suffered a temporarily dislocated jaw and a lacerated tongue that required 26 stitches. Butler was arrested and charged with aggravated assault. Butler was later convicted and served four months at Riker's Island detention facility."
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:26 pm

I dont know how much of it is pride or maybe these fighters are interviewed too quickly after a fight but many are quick to offer an excuse. The Chavez v Randell fight stood out because firstly it was an absolute cracker and secondly Randell paid Chavez respect and never had a bad word for him. It was obvious how much Randell had trained for that fight and Chavez and his stupid wife just dismissed his efforts.

Lennox Lewis was another guy who could not take defeat like a man.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:28 pm

Bhb have never found Audley particularly lacking in grace, think delusion on an almost biblical scale is more his problem, a stark refusal to accept his failings.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:29 pm

he should have been arrested for assault seen as the fight had ended, either that or let grnt have a free shot

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:30 pm

bhb001 wrote:Audley always takes the biscuit, with after the Haye fight being a great example. Something along the lines of I had him just where I wanted him and then he hit me.

Audley's best one after the Haye was something along the lines of, and I'm paraphrasing here, "David and me are both rhythm fighters. He got into his before me"

Brilliant stuff.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

i couldnt get my powershots of because i hurt my toe

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 22 Jul 2011, 1:35 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
bhb001 wrote:Audley always takes the biscuit, with after the Haye fight being a great example. Something along the lines of I had him just where I wanted him and then he hit me.

Audley's best one after the Haye was something along the lines of, and I'm paraphrasing here, "David and me are both rhythm fighters. He got into his before me"

Brilliant stuff.

Never knew Audley had a rythym other than how many times he messed himself in 3 minutes before he got to return to safety (his corner)....

This picture is of a young Audley, even scared of a water balloon:

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img97/7686/wewewfwfewwefwffcfwf.jpg

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:06 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Not a fighter, but Enzo Calzaghe's rants after Haye beat his charge Maccarinelli were virtually obscene.

"He only looked good because Enzo allowed him to look good."

"If it had gone twelve rounds, Enzo would have killed him"

One or two other choice quotes, too. Pretty disgraceful, in my eyes.

I'm waiting for a massive backlash................but Enzo Maccarinelli was (in technical terms) a better boxer than Haye (THERE I SAID IT!). Macca was looking okay until he got caught a couple of times, no chin and can't defend at all after taking a bang.

Enzo (Calzaghe) was rightfully annoyed, his charge got sloppy!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:07 pm

Bit controversial but i didnt like the way Manny was after the Hatton KO, he was down and clearly his eyes were still in orbit for a little too long for my liking yet Manny and his team were jumping around the ring totally oblivious to something potentially serious behind them

Last edited by no-mas on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:07 pm

Is hanging your chin out to dry great boxing technique then?

If so I'd agree.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:08 pm

rowley wrote:Bhb have never found Audley particularly lacking in grace, think delusion on an almost biblical scale is more his problem, a stark refusal to accept his failings.

Take your point. Where does lack of humility end and total delusionment start

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

no-mas wrote:Bit controversial but i didnt like the way Manny was after the Hatton KO, he was down and clearly his eyes were still in orbit for a little too long for my liking yet Manny and his team were jumping around the ring totally oblivious to something potentially serious behind them
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cant blame them for that no-mas its like asking a striker to stand completely still after scoring a goal.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:18 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
no-mas wrote:Bit controversial but i didnt like the way Manny was after the Hatton KO, he was down and clearly his eyes were still in orbit for a little too long for my liking yet Manny and his team were jumping around the ring totally oblivious to something potentially serious behind them
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cant blame them for that no-mas its like asking a striker to stand completely still after scoring a goal.
If the goal had the potential to kill the keeper maybe.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:19 pm

wasnt froch involved in a spitting incident after soemone refused to shake hands, was it arthur?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:19 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Cant blame them for that no-mas its like asking a striker to stand completely still after scoring a goal.

Maybe if said goal was scored via a concussive deflection off the goalkeeper leaving him spreadeagled and unconscious in the goal mouth.

Last edited by Union Cane on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:21 pm

Scottrf wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

If the goal had the potential to kill the keeper maybe.

yeah but at the time thats not the attitude there taking, they are trying to take each others heads of and it probably takes a while to calm down and look at it logically

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:28 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:

he should have been arrested for assault seen as the fight had ended, either that or let grnt have a free shot

Pretty sure the guy got 4 months in jail!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:33 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:

and 29 years for killing Max Kellerman's brother.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:35 pm

Union Cane wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Cant blame them for that no-mas its like asking a striker to stand completely still after scoring a goal.

Maybe if said goal was scored via a concussive deflection of the goalkeeper leaving him spreadeagled and unconscious in the goal mouth.

eric cantana once knocked out a keeper with a shoot from the edge of the box.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:40 pm

Scottrf wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:

WTF! I knew Kellerman's brother was murdered by an aspiring boxer and had seen this sucker punch clip before but never knew they were the same person!

He must of had a hard paper round!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:48 pm

point taken onetwo and eddy but that is why i said Manny and his team, of course Manny would be estatic with joy and still pumped but it his teams job too say calm done for a minute and see if he is ok, look at the way Frank Maloney cornered ashley sexton after the usman KO, that is wht freddie, buoy boy or whatever he is called should have done not fill the ring and dance around together

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 22 Jul 2011, 2:53 pm

yeah okay, his team should have known better i will conceide- not shaking hands after a fight really gripes me as well

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Fri 22 Jul 2011, 3:19 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:yeah okay, his team should have known better i will conceide

You sir are a gentleman and a pleasure to discuss with Hug

also your right, not touching gloves at the end irritates me too

Last edited by no-mas on Fri 22 Jul 2011, 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bloody boss wandering around)

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 22 Jul 2011, 3:20 pm

theres a first time for been called everything...

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 22 Jul 2011, 4:36 pm

After his defeat to Moorer all of a sudden Holyfield had a "heart condition", which miraculously cleared up well enough for him to so far fight on for another 17 years. I also remember him having a "virus" when he lost the third fight with Bowe and "cramps" of some kind when he lost to Lewis the first time.

The "heart condition" was the worst one though. Moorer got little credit for his win as everyone was saying how brave Holyfield was for fighting with a bad heart.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 22 Jul 2011, 10:57 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:wasnt froch involved in a spitting incident after soemone refused to shake hands, was it arthur?

Abraham refused to shake hands after he got completely caned, but not sure about the whole spitting thing...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:07 pm

Duran was pretty unmagnanimous in victory over Leonard.

It's the excuses in defeat that bug me. Anyone seen Ricky Hattons retirement interview? It's on the Sky Sports website. He basically says he's cheesed off to this day that both his chances to "win the p4p title" were ruined by things he couldn't control, ie Cortez unsettling him against mayweather (like he wouldve won anyway) and mayweather senior over training him for pacquiao. Never gives a shred of credit to the two guys that taught him very different kinds of boxing lessons, just excuses. Haye was an embarrassment after the Wlad fight, his excuse making was cringeworthy.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:11 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Duran was pretty unmagnanimous in victory over Leonard.

It's the excuses in defeat that bug me. Anyone seen Ricky Hattons retirement interview? It's on the Sky Sports website. He basically says he's cheesed off to this day that both his chances to "win the p4p title" were ruined by things he couldn't control, ie Cortez unsettling him against mayweather (like he wouldve won anyway) and mayweather senior over training him for pacquiao. Never gives a shred of credit to the two guys that taught him very different kinds of boxing lessons, just excuses. Haye was an embarrassment after the Wlad fight, his excuse making was cringeworthy.

His chances WERE ruined by things he couldn't control: his opponents.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:13 pm

re Haye after the Wlad fight: while I'm dubious of how much his performance was hindered by having a bust toe, I did feel that he'd been unfortunate in that if he'd postponed the fight he'd have been crucified, leaving him little real option. As it was, he had a handy (if not entirely plausible) excuse.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:13 pm

I think a lot of it with these guys is they have a lot of pride and have there blinders on when they were beaten outright if Ricky came out and said I was perhaps a little bit past it and me having to drop 30 pounds or whatever for every fight was not good in hindsight for the pacqiaou fight but to be fair you look at what the man has achieved it's no shame to be beaten by him even in my peak and Mayweather outboxed me I would have liked to rough him up a bit more but he had the better of things and was class that night as he's such a fantastic boxer, something along those lines then he still comes out looking very good. But to just saynothing was my fault and it was all cruel luck it's just kinda like come off it Ricky...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:15 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:re Haye after the Wlad fight: while I'm dubious of how much his performance was hindered by having a bust toe, I did feel that he'd been unfortunate in that if he'd postponed the fight he'd have been crucified, leaving him little real option. As it was, he had a handy (if not entirely plausible) excuse.

I agree if he'd have backed out or postponed then everyone and his dog would have destroyed him for being scared and all talk.
However I would be very stunned if he hadn't had a broken toe and won in hindsight,

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:18 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:re Haye after the Wlad fight: while I'm dubious of how much his performance was hindered by having a bust toe, I did feel that he'd been unfortunate in that if he'd postponed the fight he'd have been crucified, leaving him little real option. As it was, he had a handy (if not entirely plausible) excuse.

I don't doubt the injury existed or that it may have even hindered him (although he seemed able to move backwards quick enough!), it's just the way it was the first thing he said as soon as the fight was over. It wasn't until later in the week he backtracked and said wlad was better on the night and wouldve beaten him regardless of any toe injury. But at least Haye changed his tune, Hatton is still harping on with his excuses when any impartial observer can see he was simply out of his depth. No shame in it, but a bit of humility doesn't go amiss.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:21 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:

I don't doubt the injury existed or that it may have even hindered him (although he seemed able to move backwards quick enough!), it's just the way it was the first thing he said as soon as the fight was over. It wasn't until later in the week he backtracked and said wlad was better on the night and wouldve beaten him regardless of any toe injury. But at least Haye changed his tune, Hatton is still harping on with his excuses when any impartial observer can see he was simply out of his depth. No shame in it, but a bit of humility doesn't go amiss.

You've got to remember he is a proud guy and was HW Champion, you've got to remember that he is going to be in a weak moment and want to point the finger somewhere else because he probably felt slightly embarassed. The fact he looked at himself and realised (Or perhaps because people were slaughtering him over it) it really wasn't the case and he was beaten and him having the chance to watch the fight back would allow him to see that perhaps without the goggles on.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:25 pm

See, I was under the impression that the big toe is pivotal to our movement. Haye broke his little toe. That's what made me cringe when he brought it up. If he's come out and given Wlad credit since then, then fair play to him. I suppose we'd have to put his initial excuse down to the heat of the moment. I don't believe he ever doubted himself during the lead-up, but the reality was somewhat different to his belief.

As an ambassador for British boxing Haye let himself down with his trash talking, but he's been a good example in other ways, for example flying out to support Froch for the Abraham fight. He seems to have been stuck in the middle of the Khan-Froch spat that's been simmering on and off, yet handled the situation well while not taking sides.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 22 Jul 2011, 11:31 pm

He's no idiot Balti I think he had an injury that I'm sure had SOMETHING to do with his poor performance (But most certainly I'm not pinning his loss on that) but when asked straight away you're in a weak moment and he's most probably going to use it as an excuse, pretty normal behaviour from a proud human that was still struggling to come back down to earth after he really felt he could do his mammoth task and genuinely believed he couldn't be beaten.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 23 Jul 2011, 1:51 am

Scottrf wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:

WTF! I knew Kellerman's brother was murdered by an aspiring boxer and had seen this sucker punch clip before but never knew they were the same person!

Yeah he was locked up for the sucker punch, best one he threw all night, i don't believe the winner boxed again due to complications with his jaw.

The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 23 Jul 2011, 1:52 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:

Mucked that quote up a bit.

Yeah he was locked up for the sucker punch, best one he threw all night, i don't believe the winner boxed again due to complications with his jaw.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sat 23 Jul 2011, 2:26 am

Someone should have calmed Martinez down after he knocked Williams out. If I remember rightly he was jumping about the ring with a crown on his head while Williams was still completely out of it. You can understand the excitement of Martinez as he'd just threw the best punch of his career and rectified a debatable loss but someone in his corner should know better.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 23 Jul 2011, 4:17 am

It's one of those where you just don't think and you're so excited all the adrenaline the exact thing you've been hoping for for months especially to exact revenge and same thing for your corner don't blame him one iota same goes with the Manny corner over the Hatton win...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jul 2011, 4:32 pm

Atila wrote:After his defeat to Moorer all of a sudden Holyfield had a "heart condition", which miraculously cleared up well enough for him to so far fight on for another 17 years. I also remember him having a "virus" when he lost the third fight with Bowe and "cramps" of some kind when he lost to Lewis the first time.

The "heart condition" was the worst one though. Moorer got little credit for his win as everyone was saying how brave Holyfield was for fighting with a bad heart.
Atila, I mentioned the Holyfield/Moorer fight here not long ago, and expressed a similar sentiment.If Real Deal is a top ten atg for some, Moorer should get as bit more credit than he received. I think we all know why Holy had a heart problem diagnosed however..symptom of the roids(mods, this word could be haemarroids).
Both Lewis and Real Deal were graceless in victory, rarely giving the other guy credit,although Real Deal did concede the odd close decision in his biography.After the Rahman rematch Lewis immediately called him Has-Been (boom boom), and after the Vitali fight he was pretty rude in saying "Yeh, I'll fight him again and bust the other side of his face up".
My atg for excuse-making ,however, is STILL Oscar "I ate Some Dodgy Oysters" De La Hoya. Just like Ian Botham never remembers any of his poor batting displays,Oscar doesn't think he "lost" any fights,not really, and he had an army of powerful lawyers at hand to look into the judges' decision too.. .

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 23 Jul 2011, 8:53 pm

Tyson when he said he'd do all that to Lewis' kids, rather not repeat it, sick man Tyson, glorified scum in my eyes.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 23 Jul 2011, 8:55 pm

andygf wrote:
Atila wrote:After his defeat to Moorer all of a sudden Holyfield had a "heart condition", which miraculously cleared up well enough for him to so far fight on for another 17 years. I also remember him having a "virus" when he lost the third fight with Bowe and "cramps" of some kind when he lost to Lewis the first time.

Atila, I mentioned the Holyfield/Moorer fight here not long ago, and expressed a similar sentiment.If Real Deal is a top ten atg for some, Moorer should get as bit more credit than he received. I think we all know why Holy had a heart problem diagnosed however..symptom of the roids(mods, this word could be haemarroids).
Both Lewis and Real Deal were graceless in victory, rarely giving the other guy credit,although Real Deal did concede the odd close decision in his biography.After the Rahman rematch Lewis immediately called him Has-Been (boom boom), and after the Vitali fight he was pretty rude in saying "Yeh, I'll fight him again and bust the other side of his face up".
My atg for excuse-making ,however, is STILL Oscar "I ate Some Dodgy Oysters" De La Hoya. Just like Ian Botham never remembers any of his poor batting displays,Oscar doesn't think he "lost" any fights,not really, and he had an army of powerful lawyers at hand to look into the judges' decision too.. .

In all fairness i thought Oscar won the Trinidad fight, the Mayweather fight, the 2nd Mosley fight, that's 3 fights, he is a terrific fighter anyway, regardless of them defeats.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next