The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHY MAYWEATHER IS A TOP 10 ALLTIMER ALREADY!!

+22
fearlessBamber
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Jamson
Seanusarrilius
Adam D
Shantel Jackson Boyfriend
BoxingFan88
GeoffSnapes
skidd1
HumanWindmill
Rodney
ArchBritishchris
88Chris05
Rowley
BALTIMORA
ADMIN
Youarethegreatest
Imperial Ghosty
oxring
D4thincarnation
azania
TRUSSMAN66
26 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

WHY MAYWEATHER IS A TOP 10 ALLTIMER ALREADY!! - Page 4 Empty WHY MAYWEATHER IS A TOP 10 ALLTIMER ALREADY!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 21 Feb 2011 - 5:22

First topic message reminder :

Unbeaten for over a decade and a wonderful defensive fighter perhaps only with Ray Robinson to touch him in that regard or even Michael Nunn....Ring fighter of the year countless times and winner of over five world titles at different weights I can't think of a modern fighter who can touch this record. Considering Chavez is a near top 10 alltimer and didn't reign as long and also didn't beat three current at the time top 5 p4pers then it goes without saying that this guy belongs in an alltime top 10 list!!

First guy to beat Hatton, Beat DelaHoya at a weight that suited Oscar, Mosley and Marquez convincingly.......It's a record that can only be compared to the best.

So come on guys give Floyd his due. No matter what he's done outside the ring..This guy is a modern genius and deserves respect..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

WHY MAYWEATHER IS A TOP 10 ALLTIMER ALREADY!! - Page 4 Empty Re: WHY MAYWEATHER IS A TOP 10 ALLTIMER ALREADY!!

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 20:09

Alright, Dave ?

Glad you made it over, but I'm disappointed that you haven't thrown Peter Jackson into the melting pot yet.

As our resident Jackson expert it's your duty, and as a proud son of Yorkshire you shouldn't neglect your obligations.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

WHY MAYWEATHER IS A TOP 10 ALLTIMER ALREADY!! - Page 4 Empty Re: WHY MAYWEATHER IS A TOP 10 ALLTIMER ALREADY!!

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 20:19

Personally will believe the evidence of my own eyes. I happily watch guys like Ross, Mclarnin and Benny Leonard and unless my eyes are deceiving me I can see absolutely no reason why they would not be more than competitve in todays era.

If anyone can genuinely tell me what they see in a guy like Berto that suggests he walks through those guys I would be fascinated to be enlightened, as I simply don't see it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamson Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 20:26

rowley wrote:Personally will believe the evidence of my own eyes. I happily watch guys like Ross, Mclarnin and Benny Leonard and unless my eyes are deceiving me I can see absolutely no reason why they would not be more than competitve in todays era.

If anyone can genuinely tell me what they see in a guy like Berto that suggests he walks through those guys I would be fascinated to be enlightened, as I simply don't see it.

Barney Ross carried a bloke almost twice his weight 100 yards while under enemy fire.. he was also NEVER knocked out. I can safely say he would be able to take ANYTHING an average champ like berto threw at him and would have the strenth and courage to trade with him all night.

Jamson

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 20:29

Windy, Jeff (sorry, you'll always be 'Jeff' to me!), I think that most would agree you've had the better of this thread. I'm usually champing at the bit when it comes to this kind of debate but to be honest I'm tired of having to make the same points over and over, so kudos to you fellas for getting the job done.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 20:33

88Chris05 wrote:Windy, Jeff (sorry, you'll always be 'Jeff' to me!), I think that most would agree you've had the better of this thread. I'm usually champing at the bit when it comes to this kind of debate but to be honest I'm tired of having to make the same points over and over, so kudos to you fellas for getting the job done.

Thanks very much, Chris.

This thread would by now have descended into mud slinging at the old forum. Much better here, in my opinion.

Still waiting for Dave to bring Peter Jackson into the melee, though.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 20:36

True say, Windy. To be honest the promise of one of Dave's Peter Jackson articles was one of the main reasons I made the switch over to v2 (although I'm still plugging away on the old 606, too).

Hopefully, the mods on here (who gave him a slapped wrist just for pointing out that Trussman's articles, so far, haven't been the most original) won't crush the beautiful and free spirit that is our Dave too much!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 20:47

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote:
Come on, Dempsey was a poor man's Rocky. A better comparison would be who wins out of those 2. All of them were too slow and also smaller and less skilled that Haye at 230lbs.

Haye was a natural cruiser who, apart from in the issue of height, was actually SMALLER, in many ' tale of the tape ' statistics, ( in his natural state, ) than were Louis, Dempsey and Johnson, and he was CONSIDERABLY smaller than Jeffries. Besides, size isn't the be all and end all, or Haye would never have beaten Valuev. It cuts both ways. Dempsey and Louis made mincemeat of considerably bigger and more durable opponents than Haye. Buddy Baer, brother of former champ Max, was as big as the Klitschkos, was a sound boxer with a solid technique, possessed an excellent jab, longer reach than the Klitschkos, and a proven punch. Louis, despite an early scare in the first fight, absolutely decimated him twice. If you watch the fights, you will see Louis give a master class in blocking and countering, slipping, and awesome combination punching. David Haye, ( whom I like, by the way, ) would do well to last five rounds with Louis.

Jack Dempsey's style was completely different to that of Marciano. Dempsey was all coils and springs, bobbing and weaving, using subtle footwork to create angles, and his punches were short. He was a much better boxer than often given credit for, as Tunney pointed out. Master boxer Tommy Gibbons made Dempsey look a bit silly for a round or three while Jack tried to bomb him out, but then Dempsey settled down and boxed his way to a decision win. Marciano, by comparison, relied on incredible conditioning, durability, ( apart from his tendency to cut, ) and walking through his man to land his own punches. His hooks and swings tended to be looped, and though he carried a mighty wallop there is absolutely no similarity between his punching style and that of Dempsey. Dempsey's style was something of a forerunner to Tyson's, whereas Marciano's was more akin to Frazier's, though Frazier had better head movement.

Again, I would refer you to Ray Arcel, who saw Dempsey from ringside, was in the opposite corner to Joe Louis a dozen times, and lived to see all the greats up to Tyson. Arcel reckoned Dempsey, Louis and Ali to be the three best heavies of all time but refused to put them in order. With all due respect, Arcel knew a lot more about boxing than you and I do.

Almost every respected historian agrees that in a twenty rounder, ( or longer, ) Jeffries beats just about everybody in history. In a modern ring his lack of subtle skills would cost him against a slick boxer, but over twenty five rounds or more his incredible stamina, strength and punching power, together with a chin as good as Ali's, would make him almost impossible to beat. Only men like Louis and Johnson, who fought at a very measured pace, would be a match for him.

I have NEVER said that old timers are necessarily better than modern greats. Every generation spawns great fighters, ( though previous generations, with a greater number of registered pros, better infrastructure and deeper talent pool, produced them more often, ) and that these fighters would always be competitive against each other. A Mayweather v Arguello fight at superfeather, or Mayweather v Saddler at the same weight, would be absolute thrillers. So would Duran v Benny Leonard at lightweight, Michael Spinks v Ezzard Charles at lightheavy, the two Sugar Rays at welter, etc., etc.

We can't just write the oldies off on the basis of flimsy theories which cannot be proven in boxing - specific terms. If we take the trouble to watch the oldies in action and really study the film with an open mind there is a mountain of evidence to support the view that the greats of yesteryear were every bit as good as the greats of today.

You've done it again!

I'm not going to insult your response with a short one liner, so please bear with me and I will address all your points raised here giving it the respect it deserves.

Cheers.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 20:50

I just don't buy this argument that modern day boxers can't be as good as old timers. Only in the Heavyweight scene that is true yet I think the Klitschko brothers and Haye would give good account of themselves against the past legends. Floyd Mayweather is the most skilful boxer of all time and Bernard Hopkins shows age is only a number, he would easily outbox Hagler.

Rodney how did he squeak past Valuev he beat him with ease. Wait aren't you the one who though Berto would beat Mosley. I forgotten more about boxing then you know. Berto will never be a elite boxer he got beat by Collazo what chance would he have against Shane Mosley.

Considering I haven't posted in two years I think you're mistaking me for someone else, but Berto could beat Mosley they haven't fought, I think Berto would start favourite.

Azania, whether sprinting is in 10 stages it makes no difference as Dave alluded, you can't stop your opponent applying his gameplan, trying to relate that to modern day boxing is wrong on so many levels.

Ifind this whole strength training debate to be silly anyway since fighters should be spending more time training for speed, endurance, and sports-specific skill. And you see the best fighters doing that. Look at Pacquiao's workouts in, he does some calisthenics and isometric drills with ariza, spars and does rounds of spar, bag and pad work, and then cross trains in basketball for fun. How is that so absurdly different or more effective than other fighters routines in the past?

I'm not saying sports science is irrelevant to boxing or to the discussion. Supplements/Nutrition and greater understanding of CNS and muscular interaction will always be relevant to athletic development. My point is that those advances are not making for specifically better boxers or boxing. With greater emphasis on conditioning we have seen a drop in sports-specific teaching(skills, strategy) and endurance training. That's why the klits can 1-2 their opponents in the face for 12 rounds and their opponent can't figure out what to do. That's why David Haye gasses in the first 3 rounds throwing haymakers and then drops his work rate. It's why Chad Dawson backs people up to the ropes with 7-punch combinations and then starts daydreaming about what he had for lunch the previous evening.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:06

Sorry chaps, just been given the hard word by the management that I'll probably be getting the boot withing the next 90 days. Not really in the mood for the forum at the moment as you can hopefully appreciate so I'm going to toddle off in a bit. :crying:

Just remember that Peter Jackson had the in ring ability of a young Cassius Clay, He was an impressive physical specimen weighing in at 14st and standing 6'1" tall. He was possessed with great defensive skills and handspeed, he was also a clinical finisher who dispatched his opposition with no unnecessary malice. Out of the ring, he had the quiet demeanour of Joe Louis but was as popular with general public as SRR. He was admired and respected by both fighters and non-fighters. He possessed a generosity of spirit that your Mayweather's of the world couldn't hope to replicate (his tending of sick family friend was the reason he contracted Tuberculosis and died at the age of 40). He is one of the unsung p4p greats of his or any era.

You Mayweather's will undoubtedly be seen as great fighters but Jackson will be remembered as both a great figher and a great man.

All the best fellas, hope to catch you all down the line

DAVE669 :friend:

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:08

There it is !

Well done, Dave.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:10

Very sorry to hear that Dave, its a shame as I've just start posting again. I would like to say I found you an excellent poster, with a superb sense of humour, you'll be sorely missed.

All the best the future & I'm sure things will work out for you in a positive manner.

Take Care

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:11

Dave, I just re read your post and caught the bit about your job.

I'm truly sorry, mate, though I have no doubt, ( judging by your posting history, ) that your wits and attitude will secure a new position very quickly.

Very best of luck to you.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:13

It's folly for people to suggest old timers are as skilled or as fit as modern fighters. Nutrition and training techniques have come on a bomb in the last few decades.

People forget about all the holding that went on in the old days...Huddles for ten seconds at a time for fighters to get a blow. These days break gets called immediately and fights are generally paced quicker..

As for the Mcguigan- cruz argument...mcguigan wasn't used to that kind of heat and he still went 15 rounds.....

Alright saying the Grebs etc are alltime greats but to say they are skilled as fighters these days is ridiculous...times have moved on...

When it comes to rankings oldtimers have a huge advantage as they are rose-tintedly worshipped...as the past is always better because it isn't now!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:13

Sorry to hear that Dave however in the spirit of finding the silver lining in a mushroom cloud could this free you up to start work on the Jackson biography the boxing world is clearly crying out for. Surley it is time the wider world learned what the good folk of 606 have had their eyes opened to long ago.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:14

Sorry to hear that, Dave. Should imagine you'll be alright though mate, as Windy has said I reckon you can sell yourself well enough. All the best in that respect, but just make sure you don't become a 606v2 ghost!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:17

Agree with the above sentiments .....I'm sure you'll find something else as you're obviously a bright lad...

At least your "grass" days will be behind you..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:18

Nutrition and training techniques have come on a bomb in the last few decades.

In which way Truss ??

It's all a matter of perspective. There are plenty of different ways to achieve athletic goals. Just because our understanding of strength and physiology is greater doesn't mean that it's being applied to it's full extent in sports. It also doesn't mean that athletes and persons from previous eras didn't have very developed strength and speed. Athleticism and raw physicality are only one part of the game anyway. Fitzsimmons would burn Corbett in sprints. But who was faster in the ring?

I keep hearing oh Bolt would beat Jesse Owens, sport has come on tons but Sprinters run very fast in a straight line. Their technique is absolutely stable. This is why all the confusion this is why comparing sprinting to boxing is NEVER going to help anyone. Boxing uses planes of movement that a sprinting coach doesn't have to worry about in his worst nightmares.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:23

Creatine, legal test boosters...Everything is getting quicker...Marathon runners are breaking records all the time..People are learning more about when to rest to promote muscle....

Obvious Rodney...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:29

Creatine, legal test boosters...Everything is getting quicker...Marathon runners are breaking records all the time

Truss, I think we've established running and boxing has absolutely nothing in common,

Define "modern era" and how everything is getting quicker? Do you believe the sport of today to be superior to that of, say, the 60's or 70's?

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:34

Whittaker, Taylor, Camacho, Dela Hoya, Mayweather all kick Leonard's butt........Who did he beat who was like any of these guys??

Turpin beats Robbo then for me Jones jr and even Michael Nunn give him plenty of trouble...

As for mClarnin your guess is as good as mine as to how good he was..

Claptrap Rowley..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:37

Dear me, now even good ol' Truss has started with the 'modern training methods' line. Still no mention as to how drastically different these modern methods are to the older ones, though. Strange, that.

As for the point that there was, apparently, more holding back then, where are you getting this from? Yes, there was holding back in the older generations, but hug fests such as Hatton versus (insert name here), Akinwander versus Lewis and Froch versus Dirrell in recent times suggest that neither the old or new eras can claim the upper hand in that department. It may well be just your opinion, Truss, which is fine, but realistically there is little in the way of solid proof.

Also, to generalise and say that fighters box at a faster pace now is simply untrue. Do the Klitschkos box at a faster pace than Jack Dempsey or Joe Louis? How many all-time greats does Mayweather box at a faster pace than? Not all that many, I'd care to wager. Again, as with my point regarding holding, it's a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other. Yes, some fighters in today's era fight at a more frenetic pace than those of yesteryear; but at the same time, in just as many cases, the exact opposite is true.

And once more, the same can be said for the supposed superior technique of today. I can't stand it when people reel out the line that 'boxers today are much better technically than the forties or fifties.' They talk as if any fighter operating before the days of Mike Tyson must have automatically been a straight-forward mauler. Great technicians and crude brawlers have been around, in equal measure I might add, in every era, and today's is no exception. In the twenties we had slicksters such as Benny Leonard and Gene Tunney, in the fifties Ray Robinson and Archie Moore and in the eighties Ray Leonard and Thomas Hearns, much like how we have Floyd Mayweather and Ivan Calderon in recent times. But at the same time, 'sluggers' and 'brawlers' have always been around and just as common, too; Mickey Walker and Benny Bass from the twenties, Carmen Basilio and Sandy Saddler in the fifties as well as Bobby Chacon and Edwin Rosario in the eighties. And guess what? They're still around now. For every Mayweather, there's a Margarito or Froch.

It's clear, then, that holding, fast-paced fighting and great technicians as opposed to crude ones are not more common in either the old or the new eras - all of them are equal throughout history, more or less. If people are going to argue otherwise, can they at least use some facts / evidence to do so?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:37

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It's folly for people to suggest old timers are as skilled or as fit as modern fighters. Nutrition and training techniques have come on a bomb in the last few decades.

People forget about all the holding that went on in the old days...Huddles for ten seconds at a time for fighters to get a blow. These days break gets called immediately and fights are generally paced quicker..

As for the Mcguigan- cruz argument...mcguigan wasn't used to that kind of heat and he still went 15 rounds.....

Alright saying the Grebs etc are alltime greats but to say they are skilled as fighters these days is ridiculous...times have moved on...

When it comes to rankings oldtimers have a huge advantage as they are rose-tintedly worshipped...as the past is always better because it isn't now!!

Alright, Truss ?

What proof is there that BOXING - SPECIFIC fitness has improved ?

As to skills, they don't evolve without nurture. Many fight insiders rue the fact that old school techniques are no longer taught. By way of example, when did you last see Vitali Klitschko slip a jab ? When did he last feint an opponent into knots ? When did he last employ elbow blocking in the manner of Joe Louis ? Why did it take Manny Steward to sort out Lennox Lewis AFTER Lewis had already won a world title and been unceremoniously dumped by McCall ? Or Wlad Klitschko after Purrity, Sanders and Brewster ? Or Khan after Prescott ? Why did Arcel say this :

"Boxing is not really boxing today. It’s theater. Some kids might look good. But they don’t learn their trade. If you take a piece of gold out of the ground, you know its gold. But you have to clean it. You have to polish it. But there aren’t too many guys capable (today) of polishing a fighter"

At the old forum you expressed the view many times that Ali and Tyson were great heavyweights, and I agree, ( though I believe that Tyson was an unfulfilled talent and only scrapes into a top ten, ) but Ali burst onto the scene nearly fifty years ago, and Tyson twenty five. Where is the improvement in speed and skill since Ali and Tyson were strutting their stuff ? Are today's heavies as fast or as skilled as those two ?

You have also often claimed that Jack Johnson would beat Joe Louis, and a few historians agree with you. I don't, as it happens, but that is irrelevant. What IS relevant is that your view that Johnson beats Louis is inconsistent with your opinion that skills necessarily improve over time.

As a final point to ponder, let me ask you this :

Which heavy of the last ten years beats Ali ? Which lightheavy beats Charles ? Which middle beats, ( I'll leave out Greb or Ketchel, ) Hagler or Monzon ? Which welter beats Ray Leonard ? I know your opinions on Duran so we'll skip lightweight - that's another debate in itself - and ask, instead, which featherweight, ( again, last ten years, ) beats Pep ? Which bantam beats Jofre ?

Great fighters are great fighters, regardless of when they were born. Mayweather might beat Arguello or Saddler, but it's just as possible that Saddler or Arguello could beat Pretty Boy.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:40

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote:
Come on, Dempsey was a poor man's Rocky. A better comparison would be who wins out of those 2. All of them were too slow and also smaller and less skilled that Haye at 230lbs.

Haye was a natural cruiser who, apart from in the issue of height, was actually SMALLER, in many ' tale of the tape ' statistics, ( in his natural state, ) than were Louis, Dempsey and Johnson, and he was CONSIDERABLY smaller than Jeffries. Besides, size isn't the be all and end all, or Haye would never have beaten Valuev. It cuts both ways. Dempsey and Louis made mincemeat of considerably bigger and more durable opponents than Haye. Buddy Baer, brother of former champ Max, was as big as the Klitschkos, was a sound boxer with a solid technique, possessed an excellent jab, longer reach than the Klitschkos, and a proven punch. Louis, despite an early scare in the first fight, absolutely decimated him twice. If you watch the fights, you will see Louis give a master class in blocking and countering, slipping, and awesome combination punching. David Haye, ( whom I like, by the way, ) would do well to last five rounds with Louis.

Jack Dempsey's style was completely different to that of Marciano. Dempsey was all coils and springs, bobbing and weaving, using subtle footwork to create angles, and his punches were short. He was a much better boxer than often given credit for, as Tunney pointed out. Master boxer Tommy Gibbons made Dempsey look a bit silly for a round or three while Jack tried to bomb him out, but then Dempsey settled down and boxed his way to a decision win. Marciano, by comparison, relied on incredible conditioning, durability, ( apart from his tendency to cut, ) and walking through his man to land his own punches. His hooks and swings tended to be looped, and though he carried a mighty wallop there is absolutely no similarity between his punching style and that of Dempsey. Dempsey's style was something of a forerunner to Tyson's, whereas Marciano's was more akin to Frazier's, though Frazier had better head movement.

Again, I would refer you to Ray Arcel, who saw Dempsey from ringside, was in the opposite corner to Joe Louis a dozen times, and lived to see all the greats up to Tyson. Arcel reckoned Dempsey, Louis and Ali to be the three best heavies of all time but refused to put them in order. With all due respect, Arcel knew a lot more about boxing than you and I do.

Almost every respected historian agrees that in a twenty rounder, ( or longer, ) Jeffries beats just about everybody in history. In a modern ring his lack of subtle skills would cost him against a slick boxer, but over twenty five rounds or more his incredible stamina, strength and punching power, together with a chin as good as Ali's, would make him almost impossible to beat. Only men like Louis and Johnson, who fought at a very measured pace, would be a match for him.

I have NEVER said that old timers are necessarily better than modern greats. Every generation spawns great fighters, ( though previous generations, with a greater number of registered pros, better infrastructure and deeper talent pool, produced them more often, ) and that these fighters would always be competitive against each other. A Mayweather v Arguello fight at superfeather, or Mayweather v Saddler at the same weight, would be absolute thrillers. So would Duran v Benny Leonard at lightweight, Michael Spinks v Ezzard Charles at lightheavy, the two Sugar Rays at welter, etc., etc.

We can't just write the oldies off on the basis of flimsy theories which cannot be proven in boxing - specific terms. If we take the trouble to watch the oldies in action and really study the film with an open mind there is a mountain of evidence to support the view that the greats of yesteryear were every bit as good as the greats of today.

I haven't said size is everything. Haye has speed over all the old timers. Definately not talent though. My whole argument is that due to modern techniques and science, athletes of today are superior in all aspects of the game than athletes of yesteryear (skill and talent excluded) and as such will in all likelihood win in any contest. Boxing being somewhat different given that there is no clock to time them as in sprinting etc. But much like all other sports, humans have increased speed and power together with better timing which makes them better athletes (not neccessarily more talented).

If Haye were around them at that time I doubt very much if he would go anywhere near a world title.

I'm not going to argue too much against Arcel, but people will have some element of nostalgia for their time. My time in boxing was the 1970s and 1980s. I look at that period with rose tinted eyes. But looking at things rationally I would have to say that Vit K would probably beat a peak Frazier, Norton, Shavers, Lyle and most others except for Ali and Foreman and Holmes.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:42

Whittaker, Taylor, Camacho, Dela Hoya, Mayweather all kick Leonard's butt........Who did he beat who was like any of these guys??

Turpin beats Robbo then for me Jones jr and even Michael Nunn give him plenty of trouble...

So by your theory

Klits dominate Ali, Foreman, Frazier & Louis then.?

It annoys me when people say the fight game has advanced so much, yet when it comes to Ali it seems he was modern and old time rolled into one, hypocrisy of the highest order I'm afraid.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:44

Rodney wrote:I just don't buy this argument that modern day boxers can't be as good as old timers. Only in the Heavyweight scene that is true yet I think the Klitschko brothers and Haye would give good account of themselves against the past legends. Floyd Mayweather is the most skilful boxer of all time and Bernard Hopkins shows age is only a number, he would easily outbox Hagler.

Rodney how did he squeak past Valuev he beat him with ease. Wait aren't you the one who though Berto would beat Mosley. I forgotten more about boxing then you know. Berto will never be a elite boxer he got beat by Collazo what chance would he have against Shane Mosley.

Considering I haven't posted in two years I think you're mistaking me for someone else, but Berto could beat Mosley they haven't fought, I think Berto would start favourite.

Azania, whether sprinting is in 10 stages it makes no difference as Dave alluded, you can't stop your opponent applying his gameplan, trying to relate that to modern day boxing is wrong on so many levels.

Ifind this whole strength training debate to be silly anyway since fighters should be spending more time training for speed, endurance, and sports-specific skill. And you see the best fighters doing that. Look at Pacquiao's workouts in, he does some calisthenics and isometric drills with ariza, spars and does rounds of spar, bag and pad work, and then cross trains in basketball for fun. How is that so absurdly different or more effective than other fighters routines in the past?

I'm not saying sports science is irrelevant to boxing or to the discussion. Supplements/Nutrition and greater understanding of CNS and muscular interaction will always be relevant to athletic development. My point is that those advances are not making for specifically better boxers or boxing. With greater emphasis on conditioning we have seen a drop in sports-specific teaching(skills, strategy) and endurance training. That's why the klits can 1-2 their opponents in the face for 12 rounds and their opponent can't figure out what to do. That's why David Haye gasses in the first 3 rounds throwing haymakers and then drops his work rate. It's why Chad Dawson backs people up to the ropes with 7-punch combinations and then starts daydreaming about what he had for lunch the previous evening.

Cheers Rodders

The point is though that during the 1950 and before, sprinting was simply running hell for leather. Now there are 4 recognised phases and each sprinter trains accordingly. In boxing the same principal applies. Modern science, medicine, nutritian, specifically developed machines for each part of the body to allow boxers to fine tune their muscle groups to make them throw better punches have been developed. And yes the old techniques are still being used but new styles compliment them to make the boxers better and use their skills better. The fact that humans are now faster and stronger than before is undeniable.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:46

Context is everything Truss, have long maintained an elite fighter such as Jones holds his own in any era but when Turpin beat Robbo he was having something like his 6th fight in 8 week or something similar, do you genuinely believe if modern greats maintain such a schedule they are not picking up the odd loss against guys who they have no business losing to.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:48

azania wrote: I'm not going to argue too much against Arcel, but people will have some element of nostalgia for their time. My time in boxing was the 1970s and 1980s. I look at that period with rose tinted eyes. But looking at things rationally I would have to say that Vit K would probably beat a peak Frazier, Norton, Shavers, Lyle and most others except for Ali and Foreman and Holmes.

Arcel can't be accused of having been influenced by nostalgia if his three picks as best heavies span from 1919 to 1964.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:50

I'm denying that in athletics Azania, but running in a straight line compared to someone applying a strategy and throwing leather at you is worlds apart. For those fond of comparing other sports with boxing to show progression. Seb Coe, Steve Ovett,Said Aouita and Steve Cram would probably still dominate the vast majority of distances from 800m to 5000m. (in other words those races where tactics and strategy matter as much as physical skill.)

Ed Moses,Colin Jackson, Carl Lewis,powell and Roger Kingdom would still dominate the 110m/400m/long jump. (again hurdles and jumping demand technique and strategy more than pure athleticism.)

Maradona,Best,Cruyff,Pele etc all would still dominate modern football,because it doesnt just involve measuring how far you can kick a ball.

Its with the onset of new technology,drugs and such like that sprint times have become better. Really only Usain Bolt and Michael Johnson have taken sprint times to new levels.(who are once in a lifetime kind of sprinters.)

For me, it all comes down to the film. I can say with confidence that the likes of Freddie Steele, Kid Chocolate, Tony Canzoneri, Barney Ross, Panama Al Brown, John Henry Lewis, etc., etc.(guys who competed in the late 20's and/or 30's) were modern era caliber. I can say with even more confidence that the fighters (not all of them, mind you) from the past 15 years or so are of a much lesser quality than their predecessors from 30, 40, 50 years past. This is my opinion based on viewing and studying a lot of film.

Judging handspeed and power is one thing but have a firm grasp on/a keen eye for the technical aspects of the game when trying to decipher the differences in this sort of thing.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:50

And Truss whilst I'm at it is there any need for comments like claptrap just because someone holds a view you don't agree with. People have debated this thread with conflicting views without the need to resort to insults.

You have seen how insults are not tolerated on here and took no small degree of pleasure when you benefitted from this tougher stance, courtesy costs very little. I argue my points and try to support them with evidence and reasoning to support these views, this is called debating and should not invite childish insults, particularly from one so keen to remind everyone of his class and level of education.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:55

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Whittaker, Taylor, Camacho, Dela Hoya, Mayweather all kick Leonard's butt........Who did he beat who was like any of these guys??

Cant agree there. SRL beats them all and pretty convincingly also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 21:59

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote: I'm not going to argue too much against Arcel, but people will have some element of nostalgia for their time. My time in boxing was the 1970s and 1980s. I look at that period with rose tinted eyes. But looking at things rationally I would have to say that Vit K would probably beat a peak Frazier, Norton, Shavers, Lyle and most others except for Ali and Foreman and Holmes.

Arcel can't be accused of having been influenced by nostalgia if his three picks as best heavies span from 1919 to 1964.

Actually he can. With the exception of Ali (who no one can deny) he looks at his period with nostalgia. His period being the inter war period and shortly after WW2.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:01

Rodney wrote:I'm denying that in athletics Azania, but running in a straight line compared to someone applying a strategy and throwing leather at you is worlds apart. For those fond of comparing other sports with boxing to show progression. Seb Coe, Steve Ovett,Said Aouita and Steve Cram would probably still dominate the vast majority of distances from 800m to 5000m. (in other words those races where tactics and strategy matter as much as physical skill.)

Ed Moses,Colin Jackson, Carl Lewis,powell and Roger Kingdom would still dominate the 110m/400m/long jump. (again hurdles and jumping demand technique and strategy more than pure athleticism.)

Maradona,Best,Cruyff,Pele etc all would still dominate modern football,because it doesnt just involve measuring how far you can kick a ball.

Its with the onset of new technology,drugs and such like that sprint times have become better. Really only Usain Bolt and Michael Johnson have taken sprint times to new levels.(who are once in a lifetime kind of sprinters.)

For me, it all comes down to the film. I can say with confidence that the likes of Freddie Steele, Kid Chocolate, Tony Canzoneri, Barney Ross, Panama Al Brown, John Henry Lewis, etc., etc.(guys who competed in the late 20's and/or 30's) were modern era caliber. I can say with even more confidence that the fighters (not all of them, mind you) from the past 15 years or so are of a much lesser quality than their predecessors from 30, 40, 50 years past. This is my opinion based on viewing and studying a lot of film.

Judging handspeed and power is one thing but have a firm grasp on/a keen eye for the technical aspects of the game when trying to decipher the differences in this sort of thing.

Cheers Rodders

I'm on record on this thread in saying that the Brazil 70 team would be hard pressed to get through their qualifying group if a world cup were held tomorrow. And that is generally regarded as the best team ever put together.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:02

You seem to be tripping over yourself now, so despite the fact that they don't necessarily have more skill and there's no way of proving in isolation if La Motta from the 60's was weaker than say Pavlik from today (just an example). So in short all we have to go on is an opinion of who's better just because someone was born in the past 10 years they definitely beat someone born in 1950.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:04

Let's consider Terry Marsh and Ken Norton, for a moment.

Marsh had a freakishly slow heartbeat and, notwithstanding the illness which curtailed his career, almost legendary all round fitness. Is he an all time great fighter ?

Ken Norton also had a very slow heartbeat, was beautifully conditioned, and possessed strength and stamina sufficient to make him one of the fittest heavyweights who had ever lived when he was active. Why isn't he an automatic choice for a top ten heavies list ?

Fitness is only one of an almost infinite number of factors which go together to make a great fighter. Check out this guy, who was a pretty heavy smoker, and known to take the odd drag of a cigarette BETWEEN ROUNDS :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LEKHMUCh8k&feature=related

Is anybody seriously doubting that this was a great fighter ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:08

Azania, Ray Arcel also said that he considered Nicolino Locche (who isn't from what you described as 'Arcel's period', to which you think he is biased towards) was a more talented fighter than Benny Leonard, who most certainly was from 'his period.' So as Windy said, I think Arcel can definitely plead not guilty with regards to being partial.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:09

azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Actually he can. With the exception of Ali (who no one can deny) he looks at his period with nostalgia. His period being the inter war period and shortly after WW2.

Well, he picked Ali, so you can't make the exception.

Furthermore, he reckoned Duran to have been as good a fighter as Benny Leonard, the two of them being his best lightweights of all time. They were separated by roughly fifty years.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:17

imperialghosty wrote:You seem to be tripping over yourself now, so despite the fact that they don't necessarily have more skill and there's no way of proving in isolation if La Motta from the 60's was weaker than say Pavlik from today (just an example). So in short all we have to go on is an opinion of who's better just because someone was born in the past 10 years they definitely beat someone born in 1950.

No. La Motta was a crude brawler who would probably not be in the top 10 in the 1980s or 1990s. Pavlik is ... how can I say it...? Cr@p? Poor comparison if you dont mind me saying. Boxers of today, as are athletes of today, faster and stronger. I haven't said more talented. But if they are of equal talent, a boxer of today would beat an oldtimer.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:20

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Well, he picked Ali, so you can't make the exception.

Furthermore, he reckoned Duran to have been as good a fighter as Benny Leonard, the two of them being his best lightweights of all time. They were separated by roughly fifty years.

Who wouldn't pick Ali? Or Duran? Or SRL? Or Floyd?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:23

Boxers of today, as are athletes of today, faster and stronger

Even if we accept this is the case, would have to ask how relevant it is to boxing. Would accept runners are faster but is there really any evidence to suggest this converts to punching speed which is the only speed which really matters in boxing.

Similarly is there any massive relevance to strength in boxing. Is common to confuse strength with punching power when the truth is even now nobody really knows what creates punching power. Paulie Malignaggi is a pretty impressive physical specimen and is always cut or ripped or whatever you want to call it and can't knock a candle out. Prince Naseem on the other hand was fit but never particularly physically imposing but could knock a guy out for fun.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:25

azania wrote:Boxers of today, as are athletes of today, faster and stronger.

So Arreola, the Klitschkos, Sam Peter, Chagaev, Valuev, Ibraghimov, Rahman, Maskaev and Brewster are faster than Ali, Frazier, Patterson, Dempsey, Tunney ?

Hopkins faster than Robinson ?

Unless you watch their fights at double speed they most certainly are not.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:27

azania wrote: Who wouldn't pick Ali? Or Duran? Or SRL? Or Floyd?

Who wouldn't pick Louis as a better fighter than Haye ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:29

In a sport like Boxing the boxers themselves are necessarily stronger or fitter that's the point your missing time and time again, they don't train specifically for strength or speed. You may get a few boxers of today who are physically stronger but you'll also have some who are weaker than their predecessors.

You say La Motta was a crude brawler but he still managed to beat two all time great Middleweights in Robinson and Cerdan. For instance Hearns was a top ten guy in the 80's but someone with La Mottas strength, chin and determination would have been all wrong for him, Hagler outbrawled him and im sure La Motta could to.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:33

Christ Almighty, has it really come down to suggesting that Samuel Peter, Chris Arreola, Vitali Klitschko and John Ruiz are faster than Muhammad Ali, Floyd Patterson, Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis, or stronger than Jim Jeffries, George Foreman and Jack Johnson?

Jesus H Christ, honestly...I'm done with this thread, it simply can't get any worse.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:42

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote: Who wouldn't pick Ali? Or Duran? Or SRL? Or Floyd?

Who wouldn't pick Louis as a better fighter than Haye ?

Not many people. Louis is an all time great for a very good reason. Be could throw combos and land them. He could block parry slip and duck punches. All much easier when your opponent is telegraphing his punches, slow and plodding. You can only beat the best in your era. Louis era was very weak. So much so that a boxer he fought was drinking whiskey between rounds (or is that someone else against Jack Johnson). Transport Louis in his peak and put him against Haye then haye wins imo. That is not to say that Haye is a better boxer. He isn't. He just benefits from being more advanced in terms of training etc. Humans have moved on...or more accurately, the science of athletes has moved on enabling humans to utilise their bodies better than ever before. That is the only advantage Haye owns over Louis and that is why haye wins.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:43

88Chris05 wrote:Christ Almighty, has it really come down to suggesting that Samuel Peter, Chris Arreola, Vitali Klitschko and John Ruiz are faster than Muhammad Ali, Floyd Patterson, Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis, or stronger than Jim Jeffries, George Foreman and Jack Johnson?

Jesus H Christ, honestly...I'm done with this thread, it simply can't get any worse.

No. Jesse owens will always be faster than me even though I have run the 100m in under 11 secs. Something never change.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:48

azania wrote: So much so that a boxer he fought was drinking whiskey between rounds (or is that someone else against Jack Johnson). Transport Louis in his peak and put him against Haye then haye wins imo. That is not to say that Haye is a better boxer. He isn't. He just benefits from being more advanced in terms of training etc. Humans have moved on...or more accurately, the science of athletes has moved on enabling humans to utilise their bodies better than ever before. That is the only advantage Haye owns over Louis and that is why haye wins.

It was brandy mixed with orange juice, and it was Gene Tunney.

Louis beat every ex champion between Tunney and himself. Which top notch heavies has Haye beaten ?

Louis hit more correctly, faster and harder than Haye. He also possessed a text book defence.

I'll ask you again : Are Arreola, Maskaev, Valuev, Ibraghimov, Rahman, Peter, or the Klitschkos faster than Tyson, Ali, Frazier, Patterson, Dempsey and Tunney ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:50

Boxing is boxing. A man in the twenties, fifties, seventies or the present day still only has two arms, two legs, a brain and a heart at his disposal. The human race has not evolved enough for today's fighters to be significantly superior physical specimens, and boxing specific training hasn't evolved enough to say today's fighters are significantly better trained. Any comparison should be on a level playing field - ie mayweather vs SRR would both have the same training methods available be it 50's or 00's, and either way there's no way mayweather wins. Likewise if you took a modern fighter and put him in an era of a fight a month would he cope? The old guys can't have been that badly trained or conditioned given how active they were compared to today's two fights a year 'super athletes'. And don't tell me all that regular competition doesn't refine your skills more than long periods of inactivity either.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:51

Transport Louis in his peak and put him against Haye then haye wins imo. That is not to say that Haye is a better boxer. He isn't. He just benefits from being more advanced in terms of training etc. Humans have moved on...or more accuratel

Oh come off it Azania you surely dont believe this, If Louis era is percieved as weak then whats Haye's ?? Whose not even a lineal champ?

Fitzsimmons was a bigger freak than either Louis or Ali for my money.

Modern training is worse. They spar less, is the main reason. But I don't see any kind of difference between the quality in guys like McLarnin/Dempsey and Pacquiao/Lewis. This is party because, , great fighters are 80% born but it's also because training in 1895 and 2005 had exactly the same goal; to make fighters sharp and have stamina.

I would also be curious to know what and how a modern trainer could do to improve Primo Carnera significantly.

I would suggest that when he won the title from Jack Sharkey, he was about as good as he was ever likley to get.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 22:54

And don't tell me all that regular competition doesn't refine your skills more than long periods of inactivity either.

SBS that is a large part of the argument for me mate. It stands to reason a guy will be a better fighter after 50 fights than 20 because he will have enountered more, different styles, crisises, cuts, knock downs, dirty fighters etc etc.

Now if a guy can have accumulated that experience by his mid 20s when he still has his youth, mobility and powers of recovery and recuperation old age cruelly robs us of surely he is better equipped than if he is 40 by the time he has this experience. Struggle to see how this is hard to grasp or can be argued against.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 23 Feb 2011 - 23:07

Concerning skills and strategy and their development over the years, there is a truly excellent article by Mike Hunnicutt here :

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/hunnicut1.html

Far from being a vague and unsubstantiated theory, his assertions are meticulously researched, and can be absolutely proven by watching fights from the salient periods.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next