The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh v Leinster

+15
valjester
Rava
Ozzy3213
nickj
thebandwagonsociety
Imperialbigdave
Feckless Rogue
Mickado
funnyExiledScot
pete (buachaill on eirne)
RuggerRadge2611
Dorothy_Mantooth
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RDW
greybeard
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Edinburgh v Leinster Empty Edinburgh v Leinster

Post by greybeard Wed 26 Oct 2011, 12:00 pm

Big yawn, bit of a stretch, vigorously shake yourself like a dog getting out of a lake and brace yourself, we're back on track. RWC all done and dusted for another 4 years, lets get league-y.

Edinburgh, ah, what can we say about you? Some good results so far, some... not so good. A very good LBP in Ospreylia, a loss in Aironi and then a very comfortable win over Munster. It's all very negative. And by that I mean it's like a negative of a photo, everything's inverted and the wrong way 'round. Michael Bradley is like a knight in the life of Brian with no arms and a smile that said "tis but a scratch", all very head scratch-y.

Speaking of which, Leinster! A real Jekyll and Hyde season if ever there was one. The last two games have featured awful first half results and then a comfortable win. Not good enough. The young 'uns that have seen us this far will still be much needed for the rest of the league season as the internationals are slowly drip fed in their cryonic chambers that will only be opened during HEC weekends and Munster matches.

Form would suggest a home win, but form would also suggest neither have form.

As always, I'll update as teams are announced.

The beard stroking verdict: I dunno.

Referee: Leighton Hodges (WRU, 9th competition game)
Assistant Referees: David Changleng, Archie McInally (both SRU)
Citing Commissioner : John Kirk (SRU)
TMO: Iain Heard (SRU)

Live on BBC Alba

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh v Leinster Empty Re: Edinburgh v Leinster

Post by RDW Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:27 pm

Will be interesting to see how many internationalists come back. I really hope our entire international front row is used because that has been a real area of weakness for Edinburgh in this season so far, particularly at prop.

I'd also bring in De Luca to add a bit of steel to the backs. Maybe Mike Blair too and move Laidlaw to 10 (something I want to see more often). Add Ross Rennie in there at 7, and I'll be happy!

Basically I'd like to see:

1 - Chunk
2 - Ford
3 - Cross
4 - Turnbell
5 - Cox
6 - Denton
7 - Rennie
8 - Talei
9 - Blair
10 - Laidlaw
11 - Visser
12 - De Luca
13 - Scott
14 - Jones
15 - JT

With Mossy on the bench!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:30 pm

RDW, how was NZ?

Rumour has it that (good)Godman, Cairns and NDL will not have their contracts renewed next summer?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:31 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Will be interesting to see how many internationalists come back. I really hope our entire international front row is used because that has been a real area of weakness for Edinburgh in this season so far, particularly at prop.

All the Glasgow internationals who are fit enough are in our matchday 23, so I assume the same will happen at Edinburgh.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:31 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Will be interesting to see how many internationalists come back. I really hope our entire international front row is used because that has been a real area of weakness for Edinburgh in this season so far, particularly at prop.

I'd also bring in De Luca to add a bit of steel to the backs. Maybe Mike Blair too and move Laidlaw to 10 (something I want to see more often). Add Ross Rennie in there at 7, and I'll be happy!

Basically I'd like to see:

1 - Chunk
2 - Ford
3 - Cross
4 - Turnbull
5 - Cox
6 - Denton
7 - Rennie
8 - Talei
9 - Blair
10 - Laidlaw
11 - Visser
12 - De Luca
13 - Scott
14 - Jones
15 - JT

With Mossy on the bench!
King hasn't been doing too badly at IC, has he? I'd prefer to see Denton at 8 cos I think that's where his international future lies OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:37 pm

AsLongAs - where did you hear that?? Fair enough (good)Godman but you'd think they would want to keep Cairns and De Luca who have put in some notable performances for Edinburgh over the years.

NZ was amazing thanks - had such an incredible time! Was going to put an article up on here about it but not got round to it yet...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm

Dorothy - is Rob Dewey really the best you can do at 13???

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:42 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:AsLongAs - where did you hear that?? Fair enough (good)Godman but you'd think they would want to keep Cairns and De Luca who have put in some notable performances for Edinburgh over the years.

NZ was amazing thanks - had such an incredible time! Was going to put an article up on here about it but not got round to it yet...
I think an article would be great OK

Here's my source: New contracts

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Oct 2011, 1:46 pm

Hmm....that makes a bit more sense that they see them moving down South as opposed to just being released - even the SRU aren't that stupid!

Which teams do you think would be interested in them? De Luca is, well, De Luca and Cairns might be seen to be too lightweight for the AP at centre.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed 26 Oct 2011, 2:14 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Dorothy - is Rob Dewey really the best you can do at 13???

Don't rub it in...... boxing

No idea whats happening at OC. Murchie and Horne have both had chances but not really grabbed them. Maybe is Seymour makes a name for himself, we can move DTH there as that is where has played so well for Canada.

Maybe Lineen is playing Dewey at 13 to show him what its like having someone playing inside you (Morrison), who rarely passes and seeks contact with little progress, at every opportunity.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 26 Oct 2011, 2:31 pm

To be honest I would not like to see NDL or Cairns released by Edinburgh. We do have a lot of up and comers at 12 and 13 but Cairns and NDL are normally consistant and have time and again played well for Edinburgh.

I nearly soiled myself when I saw Lineen has Morrison and Dewey at 12 and 13 against the O's. Cairns and NDL might be better suited to go to Glasgow.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Oct 2011, 2:35 pm

All you need to do is throw Parks in at 10 and that would be the most horrendous attacking unit in the history of rugby. I've literally just shuddered at the prospect. Erm

Anyway back to the topic in hand - read that Leinster are going to be bringing back some of their big guns. Luckily there's no mention of SOB returning (who has massive guns!) to terrorise our pack!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 26 Oct 2011, 2:44 pm

SOB is a great player but Denton I would say would be in with a shout of perhaps matching his Physicality. Rennie if he returns would have the advantage at the breakdown and we have some powerful ball carrying forwards.

The likes of McFadden and Sexton worry me more than their backrow to be honest. Will be a good game.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 26 Oct 2011, 2:53 pm

I'm gonna guess that this will be the Leinster team

Van der Merwe-Strauss-Hagan
Cullen-Skyes
McLaughlin-Ruddock-Jennings
Boss-Madigan
McFadden-O'Malley
Fitzgerald-Íosa-Carr

White-McGrath-Cronin-Toner-Ryan-Reddan-Sexton-D.Kearney

Can see this being a tough encounter.
A lot depends on how our pack fronts up and I think Cullen will really help this. I think it would be good if we could get our backs moving on to the ball because I think we have some very dangerous lads outside 10.

"SOB is a great player but Denton I would say would be in with a shout of perhaps matching his Physicality."

Haaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

I have to say Radge that was a bit of a clanger Doh

Yes he's still young and provides great athleticism (reminiscent of a young Simon Taylor) but SOB would blow him away in terms of physicality.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 26 Oct 2011, 3:06 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I'm gonna guess that this will be the Leinster team

Van der Merwe-Strauss-Hagan
Cullen-Skyes
McLaughlin-Ruddock-Jennings
Boss-Madigan
McFadden-O'Malley
Fitzgerald-Íosa-Carr

White-McGrath-Cronin-Toner-Ryan-Reddan-Sexton-D.Kearney

Can see this being a tough encounter.
A lot depends on how our pack fronts up and I think Cullen will really help this. I think it would be good if we could get our backs moving on to the ball because I think we have some very dangerous lads outside 10.

"SOB is a great player but Denton I would say would be in with a shout of perhaps matching his Physicality."

Haaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

Not sure what's so funny about that, SOB is a big lad but Denton has been playing pretty well and is certainly not a small guy. Last time you guys came to town your backrow were pretty well beaten by a worse backrow than you'll likely face on Friday.

Taking nothing away from SOB because I think he is awesome but Denton is a physical number 8 too and I think it's not unreasonable to suggest they are pretty much equal in terms of ball carrying and tackling. Denton has only played a handful of pro games and as a result is not particularly well known outside of Edinburgh playing circles. I reckon he'll have a lot more recognition in a few months time.

I'll stand by my statement.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 26 Oct 2011, 3:09 pm

Agreed - Denton is some way off matching SOB, but is a pleasing work in progress.

Tough old match this for Edinburgh, but with the internationals back (particularly the front row), the side should hopefully step up a level.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 26 Oct 2011, 3:13 pm

Stand by it so, but SOB has gone and competed with the best in the world and done well physically so well he got ERC player of the year and has been shortlisted for WCup player of the tournament.

His best attribute is his physicallity.

Their physicallity can't really be compared in that sense.

Either way an opinion is an opinion. OK

Do you guys think you will have us in the lineout out of curiosity?

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 26 Oct 2011, 3:17 pm

Not if you play Toner, and whilst Ford's throwing has improved, he's still not 100% accurate.

The set piece should be pretty even. The question will be whether or not the Edinburgh backs can execute. If they do, they are a top class club outfit. When they don't, they are fodder.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Oct 2011, 3:17 pm

I reckon lineout will be pretty evenly matched. We haven't got the tallest 2nd rows (young Gilchrist aside) and, although Ross Ford is monumentally better than he used to be, he does sometime lose a bit of concentration with his throwing.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 26 Oct 2011, 3:23 pm

I'm really not sure if we will go Cullen or Toner. I hope Cullen cos it would mean we'd have a lot more grunt in the pack.

Can see Jenno and Sexton making big impacts after their less than great world cups

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 26 Oct 2011, 3:24 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Do you guys think you will have us in the lineout out of curiosity?

We'll know better when the sides are named.

I would at this stage anticipate Parity in the lineout and if Chunk, Ford and Cross return parity in the Scrum too. The breadown will depend on what backrow picks are made both sides. If Rennie plays I would say advantage to Edinburgh.

The backs is where I reckon Leinster will be stronger. As FES already said if the Edinburgh backs are on song they are a tough outfit for anyone to handle, when they are not.....fodder is an adequate description.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 26 Oct 2011, 3:38 pm

I think if Cullen and Jennon are back in harness then we should be able to match you at the breakdown, that's what I would have assumed anyways.

There's gonna be a real tussle between a lot of players now in Leinster so expect to see the performance levels upped.

VDM-Healy
Strauss-Cronin
Toner-Sykes
Jenno-Ryan
Boss-Reddan
Madigan-Sexton
McFadden-Darcy
The entire back 3

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:08 am

Edinburgh team:
15 Chris Paterson
14 Simon Webster
13 Nick de Luca
12 Matt Scott
11 Tim Visser
10 Harry Leonard
9 Greig Laidlaw
1 Allan Jacobsen
2 Ross Ford
3 Geoff Cross
4 Esteban Lozada
5 Steve Turnbull
6 Dave Denton
7 Roddy Grant
8 Stuart McInally
Substitutes
16 Steven Lawrie
17 Kyle Traynor
18 Lewis Niven
19 Grant Gilchrist
20 Netani Talei
21 Mike Blair
22 Jim Thompson
23 Tom Brown

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:10 am

I'm assuming lee Jones, our player of the month, is injured instead of dropped for Simon webster?? Good to see the full front row back! Interested to see how the young 10 goes

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:11 am

I'm assuming lee Jones, our player of the month, is injured instead of dropped for Simon webster?? Good to see the full front row back! Interested to see how the young 10 goes

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:12 am

How do Edinburgers feel about Bradley, or is it too early to tell?

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:17 am

That's not quite the team I was expecting.

I thought Ross Rennie would have come back in at 7 and that Talei would start in place of McInally, and as you say, surely Lee Jones is injured. If not Bradley should be sacked on the spot.

I'm disappointed that Paterson has come straight back in at 15. I'd have liked Thompson to play and for CP to have to earn his way back into the side. Thompson has played some decent stuff so far this season.

Leonard at 10 will be extremely interesting. Leonard at 10 and Scott at 12 is exactly what Scottish rugby needs to see - two young players in the key playmaking positions. Fingers crossed they come through in credit - nothing would please me more.

NDL back at 13 is also good. Now a wise old head for the youngsters to learn from.

Shame I won't get to see this live. In the new year I am revoking my "exiled" status though, so will hopefully get to more games.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:18 am

greybeard wrote:How do Edinburgers feel about Bradley, or is it too early to tell?

Not the most promising of starts, but it is only a start. Any coach deserves at least a year.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:21 am

greybeard wrote:How do Edinburgers feel about Bradley, or is it too early to tell?

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm assuming lee Jones, our player of the month, is injured instead of dropped for Simon webster?? Good to see the full front row back! Interested to see how the young 10 goes

I can't help these 2 comments are directly linked. Why on earth would Jones be dropped for Webster?

I also can't help but feel this is a massive test for Leonard who at just 19 years old will be comig up against one of the best back divisions in the Pro 12. At 6ft 1 and just over 15st he can be a pretty powerful runner though.

Also surprised Grant is still in the 7 berth and Rennie is not.

10-12-13 axis could be electric if they click. FES, when you come up send me a PM and we can hit a pub or 2 after when you drop the Exiled tag. guinness
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:24 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:That's not quite the team I was expecting.

I thought Ross Rennie would have come back in at 7 and that Talei would start in place of McInally, and as you say, surely Lee Jones is injured. If not Bradley should be sacked on the spot.

I'm disappointed that Paterson has come straight back in at 15. I'd have liked Thompson to play and for CP to have to earn his way back into the side. Thompson has played some decent stuff so far this season.

Leonard at 10 will be extremely interesting. Leonard at 10 and Scott at 12 is exactly what Scottish rugby needs to see - two young players in the key playmaking positions. Fingers crossed they come through in credit - nothing would please me more.
NDL back at 13 is also good. Now a wise old head for the youngsters to learn from.

Shame I won't get to see this live. In the new year I am revoking my "exiled" status though, so will hopefully get to more games.
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:26 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Is Bradley smart/brave enough to have thought of this all by himself?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:27 am

Nah, he reads this forum and follows what we suggest, Radge OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:29 am

It is a big test for Leonard this but I'm really pleased he's being given the chance. Hopefully he can have two or three games now in the jersey on which to be judged. It won't be the end of the world if he isn't ready, and he'll learn quite a bit. At 19 there is plenty time, and this experience will be invaluable. It'll be a big help having Laidlaw at 9 and Scott at 12, both players who can play 10 and assist with the role if needed, plus there's CP at 15 who can act as a second or third distributor if needed. Quite a bit of skill and talent in that backline.

Radge - absolutely. I'll being trying to get to as many Edinburgh matches as possible, we should see if a few posters on here can make a game (we'll triple the attendance).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:31 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Radge - absolutely. I'll being trying to get to as many Edinburgh matches as possible, we should see if a few posters on here can make a game (we'll triple the attendance).

Laugh
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:32 am

fES, just spotted that - congrats clap

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 27 Oct 2011, 11:51 am

Thanks! Am sure as soon as I move to Edinburgh they'll move to a new stadium in Wick!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:02 pm

15: Rob Kearney
14: David Kearney
13: Eoin O'Malley
12: Fergus McFadden
11: Luke Fitzgerald
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Isaac Boss

1: Heinke van der Merwe
2: Sean Cronin
3: Mike Ross
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Devin Toner
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Dominic Ryan
8: Leo Auva'a

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Richardt Strauss
17: Jack McGrath
18: Nathan White
19: Steven Sykes
20: Rhys Ruddock
21: John Cooney
22: Ian Madigan
23: Fionn Carr

Leinster team is up. Forwards look ok and the backs more dangerous. I think Edinburgh at home will be too strong for this Leinster team.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:09 pm

We're sticking with a back row firing blanks, not good. Would have at least thought Jennings would be jumping up and down with the idea of game time.

Is he injured?

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:23 pm

It's still a strong side from Leinster - should be a close game. Reckon Edinburgh might edge it though.

Edinburgh by 5 points.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:33 pm

I think the backrow will benefit from the improved front 5. There are some good carriers there and they’ll have a better footing now.

Leinster by 12.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:41 pm

Mickado wrote:I think the backrow will benefit from the improved front 5. There are some good carriers there and they’ll have a better footing now.

Leinster by 12.
I'll take some of that, Mickado - pint guinness on that spread to be settled in Dec?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 27 Oct 2011, 1:42 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Mickado wrote:I think the backrow will benefit from the improved front 5. There are some good carriers there and they’ll have a better footing now.

Leinster by 12.
I'll take some of that, Mickado - pint guinness on that spread to be settled in Dec?

Absolutely.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 27 Oct 2011, 2:42 pm

I agree with Mick, The inclusion of Cullen and Ross is a huge boost and may give us the platform we have been missing. The Edinburgh backs look pretty good though IMO.

Glad to see McFadden jump straight in to the reckoning.
Surprised to see Kearney in ahead of Carr.

Very surprised to see Ruddock not in ahead of McLaughlin or Auav'a

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Oct 2011, 3:18 pm

Pretty good team there. Experienced sexton against first game Leonard....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 27 Oct 2011, 3:27 pm

Yes, not an easy task first up for Leonard, but he has nothing to lose really and can hopefully make a great fist of it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 27 Oct 2011, 3:36 pm

Leinster by 2.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 27 Oct 2011, 3:48 pm

Is this a permanent thing Fes, or just temporary?
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 27 Oct 2011, 3:55 pm

Permanent. Very permanent.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 27 Oct 2011, 4:00 pm

who do we reckon has the stronger bench guys?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next