The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

+45
Dave.
djlovesyou
ryan86
Plunky
Hibbz
delToro87
lorus59
twoeightnine
haystongolfer
Tiler76
mthierry
monty junior
navyblueshorts
super_realist
Strongback
barragan
No1yankee
Be_the_ball
Shotrock
Thomond
I'm never wrong
pedro
1GrumpyGolfer
Doon the Water
Diggers
LastDamnation
bluestonevedder
incontinentia
number1hacker
NedB-H
Leff
thedamned3putt
EmmDee57
GPB
Fader
Redrage
McLaren
mystiroakey
Lairdy
princedracula
dynamark
Sand
John Cregan
sirbenson
kwinigolfer
49 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 18 Empty PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

An untraditional set of Notes this week in deference to that ghastly expression, "A tradition unlike any other" which, if we hear it once, we'll hear it one hundred times this week.
Andy North will hopefully feature on this week's ESPN coverage and it is his practice to determine a Major Champion via the process of elimination.
For The Masters this is easy, of course, and some stereotypes lend themselves immediately to the discard pile. So let's get going with the Ballwasher's highly subjective guide through the Masters maze:

1).Some categories can be dispensed with before they even come under Starters Orders:
a).Past Champions over 50. That includes you Freddie (who would probably feature in more categories than any other! And he's so good round here that nobody would be surprised to see his 16th top 15 finish guaranteeing him another trip back even if he wasn't a Past Champion).

b).Amateurs.

c).Aussies. No wins for Australia yet and this crop no better than their predecessors. Sorry Adam, Jason and the rest. Best each way value (top 6 at 1/4 odds from Paddy Power): Ogilvy at 80/1. Geoff hasn't won a full field event since his 2006 US Open gift, but it's not that he doesn't have the talent.

d).Ceremonial golfers. Those who are in the field solely due to performances 2010 or earlier. There goes Padraig, but fancy Stenson to be the best e.w. value here: 150/1.

e).Masters rookies. Including Keegan Bradley. Could quite easily see Kyle Stanley win one of these eventually but poor form recently and putting not up to it.

f).Non-winners on the PGA Tour. There go Rickie Fowler, Simon Dyson and the Fish.

2).PGA Tour members without a win since 2009. Howell, Reavie, Van Pelt, Cabrera and Vijay.

3).Walking wounded and wide bodies. Casey hobbles off with Tiger Woods. Tiger looks good value at 5/1 for the win though, but the early going could be heavy and Augusta National won't permit his Zimmer frame. Darren Clarke has been found wanting in the Augusta mud in years past and he's no fitter now.

4).Navigators. Heavy rain Tuesday night, with more forecast early in the tournament, will stretch the course out. I don't see a Zach Johnson-type win and even in-form players such as Donald and Stricker will have to be perfect (just like Zach was) to win. Furyk, Zach, Toms and Mark Wilson also head for the showers.

5).Temperamentally unsuited. In the absence of Anthony Kim, we can substitute Kevin Na, Sabbatini, Bubba Watson. Ben Crane is too slow and Jonathan Byrd should be on paternity leave. Not sure when a moustache won the Masters so Wagner can also take a hike.

6).More ethnic stereotyping:
a).Asians. No Asian winners yet and I'll take a chance by saying KJ Choi (60/1) won't be the first, this year anyway.
And:
b).Continental Europeans. Lots of love for Hanson but there's a reason he doesn't win much and that's his work on the greens late in tournaments. And I'll controversially add Paul Lawrie to this group. Sorry Scotland. Best bet: Garcia e.w. at 66/1 (altho he could also be in the "temperamentally unsuited" group which is why he won't win).

7).Form just not good enough. Immelman (good e.w. value at 100/1 though), Kuchar, Laird, O'Hair, Palmer, Poulter, Watney, Westwood and Woodland.

8).Assuming the Sub Air system dries the greens out properly, putting will be at a premium and I doubt the putting strokes of these guys will make it through the week unscathed: Haas, Mahan, McDowell, McIlroy, Rose, Snedeker (e.w. value @ 80/1?).

9).South Africans. Why do South Africans succeed here while Aussies come up short? Apart from the winners, Tim Clark, Els (twice), Goosen (twice) and even Sabbatini have runnered up here. Wouldn't be surprised to see Oosthuizen (e.w. value @ 80/1) with a high finish. Sadly for Schwartzel, that's all he'll do too.

10).Right handers. Just to ensure I haven't missed anyone.

Which, ladies and gentlemen, leaves us in the Butler Cabin sometime on Sunday evening (weather permitting) with Charl Schwartzel presenting an XXXL green jacket to Phil Mickelson.

What do I really think?
Tough for me to see beyond Mickelson and South Africa for the win (though McIlroy and Woods are capable of dominating - don't fancy either if it gets really close though, Rory won't keep a lead and Tiger can only come from behind if someone falters badly), with Garcia, Immelman, Ogilvy, Oosthuizen, Sneds and Stenson representing good each way value.

And, as usual, I'd be perfectly happy to be proved totally full of prunes as Lee Westwood wins by a distance.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 18 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:04 pm

Sorry Leff, but just not sure where this american term "double eagle" came
from?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 18 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Leff Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Commentators keep calling it double-eagle.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:06 pm

I bet Johnny Miller is to blame.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:07 pm

McLaren wrote:Sorry Leff, but just not sure where this american term "double eagle" came
from?

Technically wrong yes, been the American term for ever though, not really worth the argument any more....

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:07 pm

McLaren wrote:Sorry Leff, but just not sure where this american term "double eagle" came
from?

Mac - you know fine they call it a double eagle in the states, whether you like it or not is another matter altogether. Give yourself and everyone else peace and enjoy this exciting finale without chasing cars.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:09 pm

I didn't mind Mac clarifying the term.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:11 pm

McLaren wrote:Leff,

A double eagle would be -4 on one hole, an albatross is only -3 on on par five.

I think americans call an alby a double eagle

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:14 pm

Did Adam Scott ace the 16th?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:15 pm

He did.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:15 pm

Not sure kwini, no mention of it on the beeb coverage.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:17 pm

go poultry

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Twitter says he did...

Poulter moving up, where's Diggers?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:19 pm

I saw it on the CBS live webcast. I am watching telly and web.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Scott shot only just shown on BBC

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:21 pm

just shown it!

go scott- great come back after a dodgy start as well- he loves this place,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:25 pm

get in- westy chipps in PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 18 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:26 pm

NedB-H wrote:Twitter says he did...

Sitting here very worried. What does he look like though, it's like he packed the wrong shoes and belt for that outfit. Playing well though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Diggers wrote:
NedB-H wrote:Twitter says he did...

Sitting here very worried. What does he look like though, it's like he packed the wrong shoes and belt for that outfit. Playing well though.

Rupert the bear mate rupert the bear. Hope you havent missed half this while out shopping for cardies O_o

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:30 pm

poults is playing soon nice stuff out there!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:31 pm

oh and i think he looks decent an all!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:32 pm

pmick!! ob

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:32 pm

Blimey Phil.... never seen someone down there...

Kudos to him for a loud fore shout, see far too many pros throw their clubs around and not bother to shout.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:32 pm

Aldiss made a funny! Quite good I thought.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Hanson made two bogies in the first three. Phil in big trouble on the 4th.

Advantage Oosty. That Albatross or Kookaburra, whatever you want to call it, changed the complexion so much.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:35 pm

who calls it kookaburra leffe?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:35 pm

mystiroakey wrote:who calls it kookaburra leffe?
Think he was taking the proverbial mysti thumbsup

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Pod doing well

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:38 pm

i thought it might be some aussie name for it- arr well!!

come on poultry!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:38 pm

Phil having a moment. Oh dear.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Shades of Kevin Na.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:39 pm

ok oustys kookubura was a good shot an all that- but can we watch some live golf please- we dont need to rewatch it 50 times!!- that is what youtube is for!"!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Diggers wrote:Phil having a moment. Oh dear.
Understatement.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Very real chances for Harrington and Westwood the way this is going.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Oh Phil, What the f are you doing? Why didn't you go back to the tee instead of playing two right-handed silly shots?

Is he losing the green jacket here?

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:41 pm

You on Sky mysti? Not seen it for a good half an hour.

Birdie for Lee.... suddenly Phil has thrown this wide open.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Leprechaun Leprechaun
With Lefty in deep trouble, everything is possible...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:42 pm

why is the bbc showing holes 3 back lol!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:43 pm

NedB-H wrote:You on Sky mysti? Not seen it for a good half an hour.

i dont know what the heck is going on dude- my gf has nabbed the telly and i am watching it on me laptop on iplayer- but watching some old shots lol!!- also have the leaderboard up

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:44 pm

A triple (Kiwi bird?) for Phil.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:46 pm

mystiroakey wrote:

i dont know what the heck is going on dude- my gf has nabbed the telly and i am watching it on me laptop on iplayer- but watching some old shots lol!!- also have the leaderboard up
sod iplayer! open this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/17648976

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:46 pm

Unless oostie has a double sometime soon this is going to be a seriously boring few hours.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:46 pm

Vaughan owned by Woods in the interview, hahahahahahahaha

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:48 pm

NedB-H wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

yeah soz thats what i meant, might have to go to skygo mind i think its gone dejavu on me

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Phil used to pull these stunts a few years ago like the time he lost the US Open to Ogilvey. I thought he quit doing that stuff. Hope he can recover.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:50 pm

mystiroakey wrote:yeah soz thats what i meant, might have to go to skygo mind i think its gone dejavu on me

Seen that happen before.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:50 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
NedB-H wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

yeah soz thats what i meant, might have to go to skygo mind i think its gone dejavu on me
strange, working fine for me, skygo is pretty reliable too though

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:51 pm

It seems like nobody wants to win this.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:54 pm

With all this mess around, I wouldn't be shocked if the lucky Irishman sneaked his way to the top, like he did when he won his first major.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:54 pm

ousty gonna drop another

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:55 pm

NedB-H wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
NedB-H wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

strange, working fine for me, skygo is pretty reliable too though

i got abit of some old time comedy just flick up as well lol. anyway i rebooted my browser and back on

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next