The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

+45
Dave.
djlovesyou
ryan86
Plunky
Hibbz
delToro87
lorus59
twoeightnine
haystongolfer
Tiler76
mthierry
monty junior
navyblueshorts
super_realist
Strongback
barragan
No1yankee
Be_the_ball
Shotrock
Thomond
I'm never wrong
pedro
1GrumpyGolfer
Doon the Water
Diggers
LastDamnation
bluestonevedder
incontinentia
number1hacker
NedB-H
Leff
thedamned3putt
EmmDee57
GPB
Fader
Redrage
McLaren
mystiroakey
Lairdy
princedracula
dynamark
Sand
John Cregan
sirbenson
kwinigolfer
49 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 19 Empty PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

An untraditional set of Notes this week in deference to that ghastly expression, "A tradition unlike any other" which, if we hear it once, we'll hear it one hundred times this week.
Andy North will hopefully feature on this week's ESPN coverage and it is his practice to determine a Major Champion via the process of elimination.
For The Masters this is easy, of course, and some stereotypes lend themselves immediately to the discard pile. So let's get going with the Ballwasher's highly subjective guide through the Masters maze:

1).Some categories can be dispensed with before they even come under Starters Orders:
a).Past Champions over 50. That includes you Freddie (who would probably feature in more categories than any other! And he's so good round here that nobody would be surprised to see his 16th top 15 finish guaranteeing him another trip back even if he wasn't a Past Champion).

b).Amateurs.

c).Aussies. No wins for Australia yet and this crop no better than their predecessors. Sorry Adam, Jason and the rest. Best each way value (top 6 at 1/4 odds from Paddy Power): Ogilvy at 80/1. Geoff hasn't won a full field event since his 2006 US Open gift, but it's not that he doesn't have the talent.

d).Ceremonial golfers. Those who are in the field solely due to performances 2010 or earlier. There goes Padraig, but fancy Stenson to be the best e.w. value here: 150/1.

e).Masters rookies. Including Keegan Bradley. Could quite easily see Kyle Stanley win one of these eventually but poor form recently and putting not up to it.

f).Non-winners on the PGA Tour. There go Rickie Fowler, Simon Dyson and the Fish.

2).PGA Tour members without a win since 2009. Howell, Reavie, Van Pelt, Cabrera and Vijay.

3).Walking wounded and wide bodies. Casey hobbles off with Tiger Woods. Tiger looks good value at 5/1 for the win though, but the early going could be heavy and Augusta National won't permit his Zimmer frame. Darren Clarke has been found wanting in the Augusta mud in years past and he's no fitter now.

4).Navigators. Heavy rain Tuesday night, with more forecast early in the tournament, will stretch the course out. I don't see a Zach Johnson-type win and even in-form players such as Donald and Stricker will have to be perfect (just like Zach was) to win. Furyk, Zach, Toms and Mark Wilson also head for the showers.

5).Temperamentally unsuited. In the absence of Anthony Kim, we can substitute Kevin Na, Sabbatini, Bubba Watson. Ben Crane is too slow and Jonathan Byrd should be on paternity leave. Not sure when a moustache won the Masters so Wagner can also take a hike.

6).More ethnic stereotyping:
a).Asians. No Asian winners yet and I'll take a chance by saying KJ Choi (60/1) won't be the first, this year anyway.
And:
b).Continental Europeans. Lots of love for Hanson but there's a reason he doesn't win much and that's his work on the greens late in tournaments. And I'll controversially add Paul Lawrie to this group. Sorry Scotland. Best bet: Garcia e.w. at 66/1 (altho he could also be in the "temperamentally unsuited" group which is why he won't win).

7).Form just not good enough. Immelman (good e.w. value at 100/1 though), Kuchar, Laird, O'Hair, Palmer, Poulter, Watney, Westwood and Woodland.

8).Assuming the Sub Air system dries the greens out properly, putting will be at a premium and I doubt the putting strokes of these guys will make it through the week unscathed: Haas, Mahan, McDowell, McIlroy, Rose, Snedeker (e.w. value @ 80/1?).

9).South Africans. Why do South Africans succeed here while Aussies come up short? Apart from the winners, Tim Clark, Els (twice), Goosen (twice) and even Sabbatini have runnered up here. Wouldn't be surprised to see Oosthuizen (e.w. value @ 80/1) with a high finish. Sadly for Schwartzel, that's all he'll do too.

10).Right handers. Just to ensure I haven't missed anyone.

Which, ladies and gentlemen, leaves us in the Butler Cabin sometime on Sunday evening (weather permitting) with Charl Schwartzel presenting an XXXL green jacket to Phil Mickelson.

What do I really think?
Tough for me to see beyond Mickelson and South Africa for the win (though McIlroy and Woods are capable of dominating - don't fancy either if it gets really close though, Rory won't keep a lead and Tiger can only come from behind if someone falters badly), with Garcia, Immelman, Ogilvy, Oosthuizen, Sneds and Stenson representing good each way value.

And, as usual, I'd be perfectly happy to be proved totally full of prunes as Lee Westwood wins by a distance.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 19 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:56 pm

mystiroakey wrote:ousty gonna drop another

maybe not!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 19 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Masters Champion, via the process of elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:59 pm

Those saying Padraig could sneak it, remember he won the par 3...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Oosthuizen doesn't look like missing today.

Harrington is putting a good round together.

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Be nice if BBC2 could occasionally provide us with an updated leaderboard

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:01 pm

EdWoodjr wrote:Be nice if BBC2 could occasionally provide us with an updated leaderboard
you were saying?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:01 pm

I have to say I am lucky enough to have Sky. Their coverage is second to none.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:02 pm

68 for McDowell - Ulster even par today.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:03 pm

poultry you legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Poults!!!!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Poults is sneaking along nicely. For once I am hoping he can stay strong on the back nine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:04 pm

EdWoodjr wrote:Be nice if BBC2 could occasionally provide us with an updated leaderboard

use the masters app...

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Its all about the back 9. Great that theres so many in contention...

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:09 pm

lol rose going to 5 under!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:09 pm

It is good that we have an English contingent going into the back 9 with a chance. Having said that Lee just posted a 6 on the 8th. Grrrrrr

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:10 pm

mystiroakey wrote:lol rose going to 5 under!!
You're listening to BBC when he's actually 1under going to 3.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:13 pm

yep you are right, they showed his shot in to 15 and had his score at 3 under allready!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:14 pm

And then we see him holing out at 16without the eagle putt!

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:15 pm

is the 10th gonna be a factor today- it looks tough!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Sod off Kuchar....

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Commentators bang on about if a player scores an eagle he will get some "crystal". Is it a couple of glasses, and what will Oosty get for his albatross?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:18 pm

NedB-H wrote:Sod off Kuchar....
I second that emotion

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:19 pm

poults needs to try and post a 10 under- great par to keep him going

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Kwini I believe its a crystal goblet for each eagle and from what I've seen on twitter Louis gets a crystal bowl!

I've firmly aligned myself this evening to skys coverage based on the urine poor intervieing technique of Vaughan! Why on earth have the beeb got a cricketer who cannot even get the number of Masters wins by Tiger right even when interviewing him directly is a joke!

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:25 pm

Fader wrote:Kwini I believe its a crystal goblet for each eagle and from what I've seen on twitter Louis gets a crystal bowl

Thanks.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Oooh. Hanson hits a patron. Patron down.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Wish they'd start showing the final group in order, keep having to second-guess Hanson's shots from the live Mickelson footage.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Fader wrote:Kwini I believe its a crystal goblet for each eagle and from what I've seen on twitter Louis gets a crystal bowl!

I've firmly aligned myself this evening to skys coverage based on the urine poor intervieing technique of Vaughan! Why on earth have the beeb got a cricketer who cannot even get the number of Masters wins by Tiger right even when interviewing him directly is a joke!

No Lineker this year?? Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:29 pm

mystiroakey wrote:poults needs to try and post a 10 under- great par to keep him going

I think 8 under will win the jacket outright.

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:29 pm

NedB-H wrote:Sod off Kuchar....

I'll forever agree with this statement, ever since he nicked the Barclays off Martin Laird in a play off, with a flukey shot that ended up a tap in birdie. I was waiting on Laird to collect about £2k from an e/w bet at the start of the event furious .

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:30 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Oooh. Hanson hits a patron. Patron down.

In the states? I smell a lawsuit!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:32 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:

Salford too far away from Augusta?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:32 pm

Vaughan given the boot? Some other bloke doing the Rory interview!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:33 pm

BBC Golf needs Sue Barker and Claire Baulding!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:34 pm

That was just ridiculous by Hanson!

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Nice to see a South African in the hunt on the last day.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:36 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

Salford too far away from Augusta?

Wasn't it the ginger ninja chris evans last year!

Sky not doing themselves a favour with Bruce Critchley just saying Alan hanson when trying to refer to Peter Hanson! Think you got the wrong name, wrong sport and wrong nation there Brucie!

I'd like to concur totally with the sod off Kuchar comments, no-one should have a grin like that glued on constantly and if your going to use a belly putter surely use it correctly!

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:37 pm

Kuchar making a right hash of it on 9.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:39 pm

hansen is missing everything- however looking better than most of the leaders!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:40 pm

Poults making a great save on the 12th.

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:40 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Kuchar making a right hash of it on 9.
Good-oh

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:40 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Kuchar making a right hash of it on 9.

Those a re sweet words. Let's hope he doesn't come back from that.

Also I'm not fashionista but what does Poulter look like! Just because your shirt has some small insignificant writing in yellow is now excuse for those god awful shoes and belt combo

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Kuchar has sodded off.
Isn't it a pair of crystal goblets for an eagle? (Goblet is a very silly word.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:41 pm

poulter has some amazing touch!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Kuchar made a double bogey. Should've made a 5, but put too much on the putt.

Mickelson driving into trees. Seems to like the wood today!

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:43 pm

I like the way that the commentators said Oosty could learn from Bubba's putt, and then Bubba just tapped it 3 inches sideways!!!

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Well Oosty just pushed past the hole. Good pace. Cleans up for a par.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Monty thinking Westwood is the best iron player in the world, makes up for his awful putting!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:47 pm

Mickelson making a great second on 9th.

Bubba making an awful drive on the 10th. It sounded and looked ugly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:48 pm

Got to love the silly woman who just ducked with her hands on her head at 10 as Bubba's ball rolled along the ground! Almost as funny as the guy who fell over trying to look at the ball.

Don't fancy peter hansons putt much!

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Poults has a chance at Eagle on the 13th.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next