The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Price v ???

+19
KingMonkey
OasisBFC
J.Benson II
monty junior
TopHat24/7
Rowley
compelling and rich
AlexHuckerby
lfc91
manos de piedra
owen10ozzy
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
eddyfightfan
hogey
tunes666
milkyboy
tomfinneywalksonwater
azania
SharkSoul
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Price v ??? Empty Price v ???

Post by SharkSoul Sun 20 May 2012, 12:09 am

Evening Ladies and Gents,

My first post here on 606v2 but I have browsed the forum for awhile now.

Just finished watching the Price v Sexton bout and was wondering on who Price goes after next? I would like to see him step in with Fury to put that one to bed but don't think that will happen anytime soon. If it did I do believe that Price has the tools to beat Fury convincingly. If it's not Fury then who else do you put him in with? What about the winner of Chisora v Haye or is that to soon for him?

One thing I don't agree with as much as I like Price is the comparison to him and Lewis from the commentators and Maloney but I understand the need to beef up a British threat in the Heavyweight division after Hayes collapse.

Look forward to the feedback.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Price v ??? Empty Re: Price v ???

Post by azania Sun 20 May 2012, 12:11 am

Welcome aboard.

Comparison with Lewis? I heard that and Frank is blowing out of his rear end saying that. Price needs to fight some world level fighters now. Some ex belt holder from east europe would be good.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Sun 20 May 2012, 12:19 am

Thanks for the warm welcome azania.

Any names in mind? I know the HW Division is pretty sparse at the minute but do you have anyone in particular in mind?

Does he have any history with Solis in the amateurs? Would that be worth a shot or to soon? Dimitrenko? Boystov? Helenius?

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 May 2012, 12:24 am

If Solis gave the Big Macs a miss, he could be a very decent fighter. Dimi and Helenius would be good. Not seen much of boystov.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by tomfinneywalksonwater Sun 20 May 2012, 12:28 am

I don't think he thought Solis in the amateurs, I know that Henenius beat him though back in 2005, after his performance tonight though I would love to see them fight again, preferably over here after the Chisora debacle.

tomfinneywalksonwater

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Sun 20 May 2012, 12:34 am

Those are just a few names that sprung to mind. I would like him to dispatch Fury but as previously mentioned I think Fury would definately pay the 'Price' (My apologies for the attempt at humour to the left of the open bracket).

I think 3-5 fights at Euro level would put him in good stead to get into Top 10 World Rankings in the alphabet soup and then maybe he can look at a top tier opponent. Redemption over Helenius might be worthwhile then.

I don't want to see him rushed but I want to see him make gradual progress similar to that of Canelo.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 20 May 2012, 12:49 am

welcome sharky.

There are plenty of passengers on the price hype train on here. I've been one of the few dissenters, based on him looking chinny as an amateur more than anything he has done as a pro. Obviously i'd still like to see his whiskers tested by a hard punching decent heavy, but i have to eat some humble because offensively, regardless of the opposition, he looked excellent tonight. Fast, heavy hands and some really good combinations. Obviosuly its easier when little is coming back, but fair play to him.

don't know if he fought solis as an amateur, if they overlapped at international level it was brief, amongst others, his amateur record includes a win over fury (who was still in nappies at the time) and the (close) loss to helenius mentioned above.

Sounds like maloney wants to move him slowly... lets be honest he's not exactly packing the fights in at the moment anyway... so don't expect to see him in with any top euro or world level guys just yet.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 May 2012, 12:53 am

tomfinneywalksonwater wrote:I don't think he thought Solis in the amateurs, I know that Henenius beat him though back in 2005, after his performance tonight though I would love to see them fight again, preferably over here after the Chisora debacle.

Do you think Helenius would get a fair result here?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Sun 20 May 2012, 12:59 am

Thanks milkyboy,

I share the same views as yourself about jumping on hype trains having falling foul in the past. You need to get that balance of patriotism and realism in equilibrium before you 'leave the platform'.

Yeah he did look clinical tonight when picking his shots. The only problem I see with dismantling your opponents so early is that he's not getting the neccessary rounds under his belt and the experience. I would love to see him take a few shots off a heavy hitter and how he copes with it.

His Jab looked mean tonight. A part of me wants him to punish Haye for that farce last year in Hamburg after I stumped up the admission fee.

Good point azania. Probably not to be honest but maybe that's just the cynic in me speaking.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 May 2012, 1:34 am

Boxers nowadays do most of their learning in the gym with sparring and showcase their newly developed skills in matches. Hence many fight so infrequently. For instance a novice fighter having 10 fights will have more in-ring experience than boxers of 20 years ago. Its also probably a yearning not to take too much risks with 'talents' as that 0 is all important.

Price has probably sparred hundreds of rounds and spend 4-6 weeks preparing for this fight. Should he be fighting more often? I believe he should. Would he be better off having actual fights as opposed to live sparring? Who knows, but the pressure atmosphere of a real fight is something you cannot replicate in a gym.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 20 May 2012, 2:10 am

you learn how to box in the gym and how to fight in the ring az... and on that cheesey note i'll retire for the evening

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 May 2012, 2:32 am

milkyboy wrote:you learn how to box in the gym and how to fight in the ring az... and on that cheesey note i'll retire for the evening

boxing

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 20 May 2012, 11:41 am

azania wrote:Boxers nowadays do most of their learning in the gym with sparring and showcase their newly developed skills in matches. Hence many fight so infrequently. For instance a novice fighter having 10 fights will have more in-ring experience than boxers of 20 years ago. Its also probably a yearning not to take too much risks with 'talents' as that 0 is all important.

Price has probably sparred hundreds of rounds and spend 4-6 weeks preparing for this fight. Should he be fighting more often? I believe he should. Would he be better off having actual fights as opposed to live sparring? Who knows, but the pressure atmosphere of a real fight is something you cannot replicate in a gym.

I don't think sparing can be viewed as experience in the ring. When you got the head guard off and your in there having to do the biz then the only way to gain that kind of experience is to do it allot. Especially at heavy weight.

Price needs to fight a few Euro level fighters, ones that can drag him into a few scraps and the later rounds, so he gets more experience of having to get stuck in. With his pro career so far he has probably not experienced much different to what he did in his amateur career.. that being said, he looks good, maybe its going to be hard to find him people to give him that experience.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 20 May 2012, 12:05 pm

He does need a few more fights just to round him off, but if i am honest even if he was fast tracked now i think he could probably beat every heavyweight in the world now outside of the Klitchkos and i would even give him a decent shout of upsetting them. That jab is a monster weapon and when coupled with what is clearly brutal power and good boxing skills he a very dangerous man.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 May 2012, 12:22 pm

Price is a very good attacking fighter. I'd like to see him against someone who can actually hit back. That would be difficult given the state of the division. I still have doubts about his chin.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Sun 20 May 2012, 12:27 pm

As previously mentioned in-activity could prove to be his stumbling block if he doesn't increase his fight frequency he may have trouble when he get's dragged into the trenches off someone who can dig.

Those later rounds are essential, you want to know your chin is going to hold up when you're 8-10 rounds deep and catch a big shot. He needs to get that experience under his belt as far as I am concerned. Granted he is only 13 fights deep but I don't think staying in shape is an issue so he should be fighting every 2-2.5 months in my eyes.

If you were Price/Maloney and the Vitali fight came up now like mentioned in the coverage lastnight, what would you do?

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun 20 May 2012, 12:34 pm

I would say 5 fights in 16 months is a reasonable level of activity, how many fighters have already had 2 fights before the end of May, thats a fight every 3 months. I would say that is more often than most up and coming fighters in Britian. I would expect him to have a couple more in 2012 as well not a bad fight frequency for my money.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 20 May 2012, 1:14 pm

i think he should go for euro champ pulev, apparently he has already been sparring with him and more that handled his own. i'd like to see him fight perez, helenius, solis or adamek. all fights i could see happening and all fights i think he could win.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 20 May 2012, 3:30 pm

He looks a monster in the ring. It looks like a truly impossible job fighting him.

He's 6'8 or 6'9 with a huge reach. Sexton was 6'4 and couldn't get close. He's bigger than helenius and the k Bro's and uses his height better than fury.

He is very capable offensively showing plenty of power in his right hand, a wide variety of shots for a big guy like the uppercut that floored sam and body shots and is sound enough defensively to stay away from trouble.

At this point in time I think that only the brothers could beat him

Perez, chisora, povetkin, huck, arreola, adamek should all be on his list and he's capable of beating all of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 20 May 2012, 3:43 pm

Im surprised more people arent getting excited about this guy.

Yes I know he is still relatively new to the scene in that he has only had 13 fights, but my god he looks very good.

Obviously questions still linger over his chin, and it could be that it doesnt get tested. Last night all I kept hearing Barry bang on about was 'he still needs a few boxes ticking'...'can he dig dip when in the trenches'..etc etc.

Now of course we will question those things, but the simple matter of the fact is he hasnt had to worry about any of those things so far because he has simply been outclassing people. Clearly what he has fought are no where near the crop of what is a pretty weak division. However I havent seen anyone handle Big John or Sam Sexton like that, regardless of how poor you think either fighter is.

It could be that we dont ever see him in a scrap or have his chin tested before meeting one of the K brothers down the line.

With his jab and that right hand, not to mention the fantastic range of punches (the uppercut he throws is world class..and with some more work on the level of the one Lewis had in his armoury)...it could be likely that he bowles everyone over on the way to the top.

Rather than worrying about certain boxes not yet being ticked I think people need to just sit back and enjoy. Be glad of the fact he hasnt had to get into a scrap yet ..of course it makes for more exciting viewing but tbh its refreshing seeing a british boxer not making a struggle of things and just getting the job done.

In a time where we lack a big name with plenty of potential who is intelligent, articulate & has fantastic out of the ring manners & behaviour to boot I think we all need to get behind Price because in my opinion he is something very special indeed!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 20 May 2012, 3:55 pm

There wont be too many guys queing up to fight him in all probability so he might have to go down the more tried and tested route of targetting the euro title and fighting in eliminators.

Theres nothing for him now domestically. Fury, Haye and Chisora wont fight him for various reasons. I wouldnt take a Klitschko fight for about a year at least though because he needs a more testing fight or two before that jump. The Euro title against the likes of Pulev, Dmitrenko, Helenius, Boytsov would be the next obvious move for me but he may have to force those fights through the rankings because Im not sure those guys would really be keen on facing him when they know they can just easily move through the rankings by beating guys like Sprott or Skelton.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Sun 20 May 2012, 4:26 pm

I know a potential klitscko fight is a long way off, but out of curiosity how many fights have K2 had where the opponent had a reach/height advantage over them? Cant imagine its many.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 20 May 2012, 4:52 pm

Lewis was probably the last and he carved up Vitali's face like nobody else!

I think Price needs to move onto European stage..would like to see him take on Helenius, Dimitrenko, Povetkin and then one of Arreola, Solis, or Adamek before a meeting with one of the K brothers. Thats 4 fights which I think he could do over the next 18 months before a Spring 2014 showdown with Klits, though I think it would be Wlad as I expect Vitali to retire within the next 12 months.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 20 May 2012, 5:07 pm

i watched a interview this morning on sky, says he will probably look to defend the titles.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 May 2012, 7:15 pm

Would love to see Fury actually step up to the plate. He clearly won't however, because there's no way Fury handles Sam Sexton as easy that, and he knows it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 21 May 2012, 9:02 am

furys so easy to hit that just dont see how he beats price, smaller slower heavies have been able to tag him with ease then price would murder him. would be good to see but like others have said fury will avoid.

i expect haye to beat chisora, then try at povetkins belt. wouldnt mind seeing price fight chisora. he's fought and did ok at world level and would come in and have a go at least unlike the likes of sexton who i thought looked like he never thought he had a chance.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 21 May 2012, 9:03 am

should add that i cant see that happening either though seeing though it would mean chisora fighting for the british title, which im not to sure the bbboc would go for!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 May 2012, 9:06 am

I would like to see Price fight Eric Crumble, he is clearly a sky hype job and as such is incapable of beating anyone better. Don't believe the hype kids.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 21 May 2012, 9:53 am

lfc91 wrote:I know a potential klitscko fight is a long way off, but out of curiosity how many fights have K2 had where the opponent had a reach/height advantage over them? Cant imagine its many.

Lewis is the only one, which means Wlad has never fought anyone that he didn't have significant physical superiority over. As rubbish as Valuev was I still find his ommission from either of their CVs more detrimental than their losses almost (though I know Don King didn't help matters trying to nurse the freak to Rocky's record).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 21 May 2012, 10:37 am

Wlad and vitali hold their opponents up close

Price is bigger than them and has a longer reach. Wlad won't be able to box behind his jab taking no chances as price can match him.

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon 21 May 2012, 12:39 pm

Tony Thompson,Derrick Jefferson, Jameel Mcline were all about the same height at Wlad and all got knocked out.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Mon 21 May 2012, 1:36 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
lfc91 wrote:I know a potential klitscko fight is a long way off, but out of curiosity how many fights have K2 had where the opponent had a reach/height advantage over them? Cant imagine its many.

Lewis is the only one, which means Wlad has never fought anyone that he didn't have significant physical superiority over.

Not true. Tony Thompson, Ray Austin, Jameel McCline and Derrick Jefferson were all of similar physical proportions to Wlad.
Vitali also beat opponents who had height (Timo Hoffman) and reach (Kirk & Kevin Johnson) advantages over him.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon 21 May 2012, 1:36 pm

sometimes they say fighting a smaller opponent can be tricky as you're punching down. someone the same height but with less skill would be ko'd by both brothers.

but at some point, they have to start slacking or ageing. vitali has already but is still better than anyone other than Wlad.

good timing for price, in a couple of years it'll be a different story in the heavyweight scene.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 21 May 2012, 2:26 pm

I stand (massively) corrected! Doh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 21 May 2012, 7:14 pm

whats the reach difference though, that would be a crucial factor.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 21 May 2012, 7:20 pm

apprently vitalis is 79" and prices is 82". wlads is 81" and his next opponent actually has 1/2" reach advantage.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 21 May 2012, 7:25 pm

His next opponent is the same guy he knocked out a few years ago.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 22 May 2012, 11:08 am

There are always fringe contenders to take on. Razor Ruddock is making a comeback ffs! Price vs Ruddock would sell, arguably be a step up at least in terms of big fight prep so there are always people around.

Arreola, Adamek, Helenius.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 22 May 2012, 12:23 pm

Audleys making noises about fighting the likes of Fury and Price after his fight on Saturday. It wouldn't be a bad move for Price. Audleys a name a fellow Olympic medalist and being the man to finally retire Harrison would endear him even more to boxing fans.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 22 May 2012, 12:45 pm

Don't really think Price gets much out of a fight with Audley at this point, aside from some additional air time in the build up which he doesn't really need.

As others have already said, the problem is that overseas fighters in the same boat as him (so basically, contenders on their way up being touted as Klitschko opponents down the line) such as Wilder, Mitchell, Helenius etc aren't even going to entertain the possibility of taking him on. Neither, I imagine, will Maloney be too eager for those kind of fights. A loss at this point would be very costly for all of those fighters.

Likewise, there's no mileage in putting him in with either brother now. So what does that leave him? Not a great deal.

And so, unfortunately, I expect Price's next two or three fights at least will be against similarly overmatched domestic Heavyweights; step forward Michael Sprott, Scott Belshaw and the like. It satisfies the fans (to an extent) who want to see him fighting more often and builds up the winning run / ko record, or so you'd think.

After that, it looks as if his best option is going to be the elder statesmen back on their way down. Samuel Peter, Ruslan Chagaev and so on. Such a route would likely guide him until the end of 2013 and approaching twenty (hopefully) unbeaten fights.

Perhaps not the perfect preparation for a shot as Wladimir, for instance, but likely the sort he'll have to settle for given that the aforementioned contenders aren't going to sabotage their chances of being the 'next superstar.'
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 22 May 2012, 1:13 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Don't really think Price gets much out of a fight with Audley at this point, aside from some additional air time in the build up which he doesn't really need.

As others have already said, the problem is that overseas fighters in the same boat as him (so basically, contenders on their way up being touted as Klitschko opponents down the line) such as Wilder, Mitchell, Helenius etc aren't even going to entertain the possibility of taking him on. Neither, I imagine, will Maloney be too eager for those kind of fights. A loss at this point would be very costly for all of those fighters.

Likewise, there's no mileage in putting him in with either brother now. So what does that leave him? Not a great deal.

And so, unfortunately, I expect Price's next two or three fights at least will be against similarly overmatched domestic Heavyweights; step forward Michael Sprott, Scott Belshaw and the like. It satisfies the fans (to an extent) who want to see him fighting more often and builds up the winning run / ko record, or so you'd think.

After that, it looks as if his best option is going to be the elder statesmen back on their way down. Samuel Peter, Ruslan Chagaev and so on. Such a route would likely guide him until the end of 2013 and approaching twenty (hopefully) unbeaten fights.

Perhaps not the perfect preparation for a shot as Wladimir, for instance, but likely the sort he'll have to settle for given that the aforementioned contenders aren't going to sabotage their chances of being the 'next superstar.'

As you've explained there's aren't many places for him to go next, so I don't think Audley is a terrible option and is in no way worse than Sprott or Belshaw. If Audley turns up to survive then Price might get a few rounds in. If Audley goes for it (unlikely I know) then we get to see him chopped down and retired for good. The casual fan knows who Audley is and additional air time cant be a bad thing for any prospect.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 22 May 2012, 1:40 pm

How about Towers? How good is he?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 22 May 2012, 1:42 pm

Not too sure about Audley. His reputation after the Haye farce is little above a joke. He has that kind of circus act quality and morbid fascination that would probably get people to tune in but Im not sure it would do much for Prices credibility. Its true Audley is hardly much worse that Sprott/Skelton etc but I think they are seen as more honest pro's rather than the joke figure Audley is.

If you think of the kind of reaction Fury got for facing Rogie the taxi man then it would be that tenfold if Price were to announce Audley as an opponent.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 22 May 2012, 2:35 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Not too sure about Audley. His reputation after the Haye farce is little above a joke. He has that kind of circus act quality and morbid fascination that would probably get people to tune in but Im not sure it would do much for Prices credibility. Its true Audley is hardly much worse that Sprott/Skelton etc but I think they are seen as more honest pro's rather than the joke figure Audley is.

If you think of the kind of reaction Fury got for facing Rogie the taxi man then it would be that tenfold if Price were to announce Audley as an opponent.

Most won't give Price too much credit if he beats Audley, Sprott or Skelton. He may aswell face the one with the highest profile and get a bit more exposure. Especially if Audley KOs his next opponent in a couple of rounds and starts talking himself up again.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 22 May 2012, 2:38 pm

Should seek out Vitali now.........whilst waiting for a belt vacation might result in easier attainment...For me...........

1. He isn't going to learn anymore from the stiffs around at the moment...

2. Vitali is in is forties and ripe for the taking from a young guy with good tools..

3. Whilst winning a belt will expose him........a win against a Klit will make him explode on the world scene in a much bigger way!!!

4. If he loses he can come again as the division is full of useless crud..

Strike while the iron is hot...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 22 May 2012, 2:41 pm

I just feel that Audley is too much of a joke. Despite the publicity it might get the stigma surrounding the guy is just so much it would have the effect of undermining Prices credibility.

Sprott and Skelton would be equally poor fights and I seriously hope they dont get made but the pair of them seem to perpetually hold European rankings which make them fairly safe stepping stones and they arent viewed with ridicule the same way Audley is.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 22 May 2012, 2:43 pm

It won't but they are missing a trick.........

A Klit win guarantees world interest....an interest that would probably take three years to garner by taking one of say four vacant belts!!!!!!

as I imagine they'll both go together!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 22 May 2012, 2:45 pm

Not a bad plan. Anyone actually think he could take Vitali right now? He's looked very slow lately but its a massive step up.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 22 May 2012, 2:48 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:Not a bad plan. Anyone actually think he could take Vitali right now? He's looked very slow lately but its a massive step up.

I wouldnt bet on it, but very hard to gauge a proper assessment until we see Price in with somebody world class, or at least upper Euro level.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Tue 22 May 2012, 2:59 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
paperbag_puncher wrote:Not a bad plan. Anyone actually think he could take Vitali right now? He's looked very slow lately but its a massive step up.

I wouldnt bet on it, but very hard to gauge a proper assessment until we see Price in with somebody world class, or at least upper Euro level.

Would be a massive risk for me and one that might backfire. Price has boxed 36 rounds in his pro career and has never been past 7 rounds. That's a massive difference in experience. I'm not sure what his chin and stamina are like and they'd no doubt be tested in this one. I don't think Price can KO Vitali so does he have the skill, guile and stamina needed to outbox Vitali while making sure he doesn't take too many flush shots? Its a big ask.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next