The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Bunce - Boxnation.. Is it worth it Mate????

+12
Union Cane
azania
jammin
JabMachineMK2
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Rowley
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
as1079
AlexHuckerby
Seanusarrilius
Steffan
TRUSSMAN66
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Steve Bunce - Boxnation.. Is it worth it Mate???? Empty Steve Bunce - Boxnation.. Is it worth it Mate????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:25 pm

When you see this guy who's been around Boxing for years......an obvious once-respected boxing fan and historian....spouting stuff like Chisora and Haye is the fight of the Century you feel quite saddened...

For sure.. we all are appreciative for the Windy acknowledgement.... but spouting out such garbage.. whether in trying to keep his job safe or even worse that he's such a wally he even believes it.....

Kind of makes you realise he's lost any sense of credibility he had left!!!...He's either incompetent or completely in Warren's pocket he's become a joke!!!

I believe you're better than this Stevie!!!

Dignity dear boy... dignity!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Steve Bunce - Boxnation.. Is it worth it Mate???? Empty Re: Steve Bunce - Boxnation.. Is it worth it Mate????

Post by Steffan Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:28 pm

Take it you disapprove of the Haye v Chisora fight then Truss...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Steve Bunce - Boxnation.. Is it worth it Mate???? Empty Re: Steve Bunce - Boxnation.. Is it worth it Mate????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:29 pm

No I'm all for it...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:32 pm

Bunce does smack of desperate at time. He over enthuses so much that it actually dilutes decent moments. Just a bit cheap at times.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:32 pm

Buncey isnt to be taken too serious though is he and I mean that in a nice way he just loves to add a a bit of character and build up to a fight or a fighter. Boxing needs more people like him instead of men in suits who have no appeal to a younger/casual audience

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:33 pm

Go away steffan...must be some non boxing thread you can irritate someone on...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Go away steffan...must be some non boxing thread you can irritate someone on...
So I gave an opinion, you didnt agree with it so are now insulting me...

Nice one Truss glad to see you havnt changed

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:36 pm

His over-enthusiasm seems forced as If to try to culture an image......different from the norm etc...

Like an Al Bernstein or something..

Don't buy it......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:37 pm

I actually think Steffan is correct. Stuffy old guys like Bob Mee as much as I like him don't keep a younger audience interested generally speaking.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:38 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:I actually think Steffan is correct. Stuffy old guys like Bob Mee as much as I like him don't keep a younger audience interested generally speaking.
Watch out Alex you will have Truss telling you to 'go away' just because your agreeing with me

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by as1079 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:39 pm

My opinion on Bunce changes day by day. Some days I love his enthusiasm and other days I hate what comes across as a dodgy salesman act.

If pushed, I'd probably go with Steffan as well, at the risk of being told to go away.

as1079

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:40 pm

Alex makes an effort.......You just write one line moronic guff all day and every day....

wears thin!!!!..time to grow up Son!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:40 pm

I like Al Bernstein. Don't mind Bunce. Can just be a bit over the top.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:41 pm

You not think his lack of objectivity on Boxnation.....

Means his opinion is rendered pointless????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:42 pm

Bloody hell you've taken you time to cop on

Everything any of those commentators say is so biased it's unreal

According to them,

Burns-Moses was a fight of the year and buns should he tighter of the year

Cleverly's defence vs karpency was justified

Seriously they try so hard to sell boxnation that they seem desperate

Every break they put on that ridiculous trailer of how boxnation is the greatest boxing channel of all time and that Jim Rosenthal thinks that it's revolutionary and Richard keys on how boxnation has fight of the years every week

I'm all for the channel, it's a pretty good concept but these guys really pee me off

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:43 pm

Well then it makes Adam Smith and Johnny Nelsons opinion guff as well as they only care about the "Sky agenda"

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:44 pm

Bunce tends to annoy me more than he doesn't now but strip away the bluster and there is knowledge there and you have to admire the bloke, despite boxing becoming more and more marginalised by the day and TV channels flitting in and out of supporting the sport or dumping it the bloke has managed to carve himself out a living pretty much consistently over the last ten years beyodn just that of a writer, can't have been easy.

For my tastes though do wish he would reign in some of the hyperbole because he is a smart bloke, ghost writer on Michael Watsons biography and did an excellent job on that, would much rather see that side of him than the one we tend to get in his TV persona nowadays.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:46 pm

rowley wrote:Bunce tends to annoy me more than he doesn't now but strip away the bluster and there is knowledge there and you have to admire the bloke, despite boxing becoming more and more marginalised by the day and TV channels flitting in and out of supporting the sport or dumping it the bloke has managed to carve himself out a living pretty much consistently over the last ten years beyodn just that of a writer, can't have been easy.

For my tastes though do wish he would reign in some of the hyperbole because he is a smart bloke, ghost writer on Michael Watsons biography and did an excellent job on that, would much rather see that side of him than the one we tend to get in his TV persona nowadays.

Agreed. There is a lot of boxing knowledge there with Bunce, but he needs to reign it in big time. He is kind of a man on a ledge on Boxnation, and prob feels he is carrying a lot of the weight of the channel.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:52 pm

He's certainly carved out a living and in that regard kudos!!

But at what ratio is............making a living < integrity ?????

Or are we to mercenary to care these days!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:54 pm

Saying that ...he seems to have his admirers on here...so maybe I've misjudged this issue..

who knows??.....Say one thing about him though he seems big enough to accept criticism...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 07 Jun 2012, 1:56 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He's certainly carved out a living and in that regard kudos!!

But at what ratio is............making a living < integrity ?????

Or are we to mercenary to care these days!!!!

Unfortunately thats the way the corperate world works. He does tend to big up the Warren stable as they are his employers but you only have to look at the array of pundits on the different channels and they do like wise.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:00 pm

Corporate...

Disagree........Mccrory and Mcguigan etc point out weaknesses etc...and call stinkers....... stinkers!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:04 pm

Amazing what people get away with treating people like on here.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by jammin Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:07 pm

Purists:

Yes we all love the game and are annoyed that boxing doesn't get the spotlight it deserves as one of the finest sports in the world.

Yet when someone is enthusiastic about it, we are over critical and find offence.

We should be aware of our hypocrisy.

jammin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Corporate...

Disagree........Mccrory and Mcguigan etc point out weaknesses etc...and call stinkers....... stinkers!!

And Bunce calls stinkers fights of the year?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:10 pm

As long as someone isn't over-enthusiastically selling you a dud!!!!

I think you're way off Mate!!! Everybody likes enthusiasm......

You post is probably a bit patronising.. whether it's meant to be or not!!

Opinion is welcome though!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:12 pm

Soldier we can agree on one thing I hope....

That at least you now know how to spell corporate!!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Soldier we can agree on one thing I hope....

That at least you now know how to spell corporate!!! Cool

Am scouse, sometimes I type words how they are pronounced round my way. Say corporate in a scouse accent and you will know what I mean Laugh

Think Bunce is a bit like marmite, you either love or think it tastes like sh|t

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:18 pm

Well your main point is that Bunce is saying Haye/Chisora will be a good fight, to be fair a lot of us would agree with that in my opinion it's an interesting one and I don't believe I'm a mug for thinking it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:22 pm

It is my main point....In so far as he knows it's bs and he seems prepared to compromise himself to keep his job...rendering his opinion worthless from now on to some if not all!!!

I think you're a mug on this one!!..

Though there is much to what you write on other occasions!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It is my main point....In so far as he knows it's bs and he seems prepared to compromise himself to keep his job...rendering his opinion worthless from now on to some if not all!!!

Classic Trussy. Slaps you in the face with one hand, and rubs it better with the other. You are a master of your craft Trussy. I will call you "Man on Wire" haha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by jammin Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:25 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:As long as someone isn't over-enthusiastically selling you a dud!!!!

I think you're way off Mate!!! Everybody likes enthusiasm......

You post is probably a bit patronising.. whether it's meant to be or not!!

Opinion is welcome though!!

I'm passionate, that's all. Although Bunce does waffle on a bit, he does attract the attention of my non-boxing friends, who are then suddenly interested in a boxing bout! He is good for the game IMHO.

Boxing has the ability to capture the minds of the public like no other sport, yet I can count on one hand the number of people who I can discuss it with.

It hasn't done that in recent times, perhaps why our heavyweight division is so dire.

Not meant to be patronising in any bit.

jammin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:28 pm

Think it's more to do with politics and characters than enthusiasm.....

As to why it hasn't caught on in recent times.......

However Tyson has shown what a standard bearer can do for Boxing....

Not sure that he'd resonate as much now though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It is my main point....In so far as he knows it's bs and he seems prepared to compromise himself to keep his job...rendering his opinion worthless from now on to some if not all!!!

Well thats your opinion Laugh

I cant be bothered trawling through the tinterweb (internet thumbsup) for the humdingers the Sky crew have said over the years. McCrory and McGuigan have had there fair share, McCrory proclaimining Froch to be best from these shores and McGuigans blind faith in Frampton for a start.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:34 pm

Mcguigan's blind faith has yet to be exposed....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:36 pm

McGuigan did put blind faith that Haye would destroy Wlad, mind you many of us did...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:37 pm

Same with the whole Sky crew in fact.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:40 pm

We can all be wrong.....Thought Biggs would beat tyson!!!

Probably what makes Boxing so exciting...

I like Frampton..whether he is fighting types to eccentuate his gifts and make him more rounded..I'm not so sure!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:41 pm

accentuate...rather!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:43 pm

OK then, they hyped Haye-Harrison as the grudge match of the century...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:47 pm

When did they say it was... "the grudge match of the century!!!"

Come on Mate......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:51 pm

I remember hearing 'the biggest grude match since Lewis v Bruno' (on Haye v Harrison)

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 2:55 pm

That doesn't sound like the "Century" does it......

Lewis-Bruno gives it a British connotation which is half ok!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:05 pm

Seeing as this century has just started, the comment is a fair one. HW capture the public's imagination more than any other. But rarely do we get a fight where the needle is genuine between two 'top' class fighters.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:07 pm

Just to clarify, the current century started on 1st January 2001, but I'm damned if I'm going down that road again.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:07 pm

Its still essentially the same point you're making, a fight we all know is bad and selling it as if it would be a classic. Difference being the one that Buncey is promoting could actually be good.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:10 pm

I thought Cleverly-Bellew was genuine..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

Bunce is good on 5 live's Fighting Talk. He is a god
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:12 pm

I still think there was and is a real rivalry between them.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 07 Jun 2012, 3:57 pm

Bunce see's himself as the heartbeat of boxing and in a way he has fought had to keep it on TV and to keep himself in a job.

He loses all credibility when he starts to think it is his job to be a promoter of a fight. His behaviour in the build-up to the Haye v Audley fight severely damaged his credibility. I heavily criticised him on another site and he took it on the chin and admitted Haye v Audley was a bad night for boxing.

Everyone has a friend who tries too hard and is over-exuberant. Sometime you just tell them to calm down or to give it a break. Buncey is this kind of person but you can’t tell a guy on TV to shut it.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next