The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Day 13- French Open Men's semifinals

+27
Chydremion
jersey
luciusmann
LuvSports!
Super D Boon
CAS
Josiah Maiestas
Demon Racer
Mad for Chelsea
CaledonianCraig
ALPanorak
enoughisenough
kemet
Good Golly I'm Olly
sirfredperry
summerblues
Tom_____
mangamuri
bogbrush
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
laverfan
lydian
barrystar
invisiblecoolers
Jahu
User 774433
31 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Day 13- French Open Men's semifinals - Page 7 Empty Day 13- French Open Men's semifinals

Post by User 774433 Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Friends, v2ans, countrymen lend me your ears.
I have come to preview this semifinal fixture not to curse it;
The memory of the matches that these men play often live after them;
The unforced errors are often interred with their bones;
So let it be with Roger. The noble Novak
Hath told you Roger is ambitious;
If it were so, it was a grievous fault;
And grievously Roger might answer it;
Roger was my friend, faithful and just to me;
But Novak says he was ambitious;
And Novak is an honourable man;
He had brought many Grand Slams home to Switzerland;
Whose gleam did fill the trophy cabinets;
Did this in Roger seem ambitious?
When his twins have cried, Roger has stayed up;
Ambition should be made out of sterner stuff;
You did see in Paris many times now;
Thrice the 'Grand Slam' was presented;
Which he did thrice refuse; was this ambition?
Yet Novak says he was ambitious;
And Novak is an honourable man
You did all love him once, not without cause;
What reason withholds you to cheer for him?
O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts;
Bear with me, for now I must pause to do this preview

http://www.presentationmagazine.com/famous-speeches-friends-romans-countrymen-11673.htm

Mens semifinals:

Nadal(2) vs Ferrer (6)
Head to Head Record: Nadal 15-4 Ferrer
Last meeting: Rome Semis Nadal 7-6 6-0 Ferrer
Head to Head in Grand Slams: Ferrer 2-1 Nadal
Clay Head to Head: Nadal 12-1 Ferrer

Djokovic (1) vs Federer (3)
Head to Head Record: Federer 14-11 Djokovic
Last meeting: Rome Semis Djokovic 6-2 7-6 Federer
Head to Head in Grand Slams: Federer 5-4 Djokovic
Clay Head to Head: Federer 3-2 Djokovic

Predictions so far:
Ferrer- Invisible Coolers
Nadal- Lydian, Jahu, Haddie Nuff, Bogbrush, Social, Barrystar, Legendkiller, Mangamuri, Tom, Summer, SFP

Federer- Jahu, Lydian, Invisible Coolers, Haddie Nuff, Legendkiller, Tom
Djokovic- Barrystar, Bogbrush, Social, Mangamuri, Summer, SFP

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:22 pm; edited 15 times in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Day 13- French Open Men's semifinals - Page 7 Empty Re: Day 13- French Open Men's semifinals

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:04 pm

lydian wrote:... Doesnt seem sharp to me, like an edge has gone. ...
It has to happen to everyone at some point regarding their physical ability.

Last edited by Nore Staat on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Day 13- French Open Men's semifinals - Page 7 Empty Re: Day 13- French Open Men's semifinals

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:07 pm

Genius of this man?

Nole has never hit a hotdog winner before. Dumb commentators.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:07 pm

No he couldnt. So the Nadal-Djokovic show moves into another town...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:09 pm

GSM Djokovic clap At least this should give Djokovic some rest to have a right go at Nadal in Sundays final. Knowing Djokovics amazing ability to recover who can be certain that Djokovic won't make it difficult for Nadal? Could it be another record breaking marathon, or will it be a straights set victory for Nadal?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:09 pm

Not sure if your a Jersey Shore or a Jersey Royal chin

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:10 pm

If he was going to lose, better not to take Djoko down with him for the final by dragging it into tomorrow.

Well done Djoko - the dream is alive and good luck. Nadal has form on crushing 4-in-a-row dreams at RG and starts as heavy favourite. Djoko has got to find the form to win the 1st set, and maybe if he takes it to Nadal in a way nobody else has yet he's got a chance, but I reckon it's Nadal in 4.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Very well played to Djokovic. Cool. The dream of a Grand Slam is still alive. Nadal has the 7-in-a-row record to make. Looking forward to the final. thumbsup

Federer. Goodluck for the rest of the season.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Congratulations to Novak. He deserves to be in the final. Roger would have struggled to win a game if he had managed to come out of this match. The manner of defeat for Roger is what has been most disappointing. Don't get me wrong, Novak returned well. However, 40+ unforced errors from Roger did not help his cause.

This has to be one of Roger's more disappointing losses.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:11 pm

Djokovic hands out a trouncing to Roger Federer in straight sets. The match had its moments and fine rallies but it never really took off as a classic. Clay is not Federer's favourite surface and his best chances at slams lie in the coming few months. The result surely rules out Fed's hopes of regaining the No.1 spot any time soon. As for Novak he wasn't at his best today and I cannot see him beating Rafael Nadal in the final.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:12 pm

Jack the Ripper will surgically confiscate Vlad the Impaler on Sunday
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:12 pm

barrystar wrote:If he was going to lose, better not to take Djoko down with him for the final by dragging it into tomorrow.

Well done Djoko - the dream is alive and good luck. Nadal has form on crushing 4-in-a-row dreams at RG and starts as heavy favourite. Djoko has got to find the form to win the 1st set, and maybe if he takes it to Nadal in a way nobody else has yet he's got a chance, but I reckon it's Nadal in 4.

If Novak goes down to a break to Rafa in the first set in Sunday and then a double-break in the second, he better not expect to get out of jail like he did today.

Rafa simply does not miss.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Yes Sunday final will be historic!

Nadal to break Borgs French Open Record! ... and match Pete Sampras' record at Wimbledon.

or

The first modern day four in a row grand slam in the mens tennis.

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Congrats to Novak. Hard to say who will win.....I think I'd say Nadal but I think Im going to go with Djokovic 51 to Nadal 49, a close match, even though Nadal has played stronger.

As for the match, Djokovic really did well to break down Federer's will in that second set and it was clearly over after that. He gave up a double break lead! Fed didn't even do that to Nadal in IW, he held onto one of the breaks but didn't lose both!

I think it probably would be silly to read too much into this particular match and it's impact on Fed. In terms of what Fed needed, he got out of this tournament. It's only Wimbledon or the USO, but mainly the latter where his chances are good. RG wasn't expected to be much more than a final appearance at best. So falling in the semis is respectable (by his standards for this surface).

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:14 pm

DJOKOVIC Yahoo

IT'S DESTINY I TELL YOU! IT'S DESTINY!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:15 pm

Nole can't serve well enough to give Nadal problems. Easy toast for him.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:16 pm

Poopy semifinals, I hope atleast final live upto billing, doesn't matter whoever wins. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:16 pm

Olly wrote:DJOKOVIC Yahoo

Grant Holt to West Ham is destiny. Laugh
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:17 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
Olly wrote:DJOKOVIC Yahoo

Grant Holt to West Ham is destiny. Laugh

This is a tennis thread. Please keep it on topic Cool

(He will go to Villa if he leaves anyway raspberry )
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:19 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Djokovic hands out a trouncing to Roger Federer in straight sets. The match had its moments and fine rallies but it never really took off as a classic. Clay is not Federer's favourite surface and his best chances at slams lie in the coming few months. The result surely rules out Fed's hopes of regaining the No.1 spot any time soon. As for Novak he wasn't at his best today and I cannot see him beating Rafael Nadal in the final.

It only rules out Fed's chances for gaining No.1 if:

a) Novak wins the French and then
b) Fed loses in the quarters or earlier.

So Fed's chances are still good but it's mainly out of his hands unless he wins a slam.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Yep Lucius I concur.

Congrats to Novak and his fans.

I think he has a real shot at Nadal on Sunday.

No one is gonna runa away with the final.

More importantly I picks for the prediction league are looking pretty good.

ghost

emancipator - V2 champion elect

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Lest we forget that Novak has beaten Nadal in the last 3? Grand Slam finals. Also has beaten him on clay many times. Novak will win. It is going to happen.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Losing to Del Potro would have been better, Del Potro beats Djoker, gives us great final potential.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:21 pm

Dont think either guy was on great form today...Federer looks jaded somehow. Maybe the errors undermined him.

So...the question is what can Djokovic do versus Rafa on Sunday. Never player got a great work-out today so both should be fresh on Sunday.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:21 pm

Olly wrote:Lest we forget that Novak has beaten Nadal in the last 3? Grand Slam finals. Also has beaten him on clay many times. Novak will win. It is going to happen.
He's only beat Nadal on clay twice. Lost like 10/11 times to him.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:23 pm

Yep, may the best man win.

Novak knows what he needs to do to win.

The same thing he did all of last year.

But he needs to execute.

If he does, I think he'll win.

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:25 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Djokovic hands out a trouncing to Roger Federer in straight sets. The match had its moments and fine rallies but it never really took off as a classic. Clay is not Federer's favourite surface and his best chances at slams lie in the coming few months. The result surely rules out Fed's hopes of regaining the No.1 spot any time soon. As for Novak he wasn't at his best today and I cannot see him beating Rafael Nadal in the final.

I would say "trouncing" is a strong word (Roger had leads in sets 1 and 2). What Rafa meted out to Ferrer was trouncing. David only won five games in his match with Rafa. Roger won twelve.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:27 pm

shuttt up jersey you wum

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:28 pm

I agree kemet, 'trouncing' is way over the top. It was a strange match but closer than the scoreline suggests.

The only good news is probably that Fed will play Halle and move onto the surface he likes best!

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:30 pm

But isnt Rafa playing Halle this year ????

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:30 pm

Yeh he is....it would be an interesting contest is both of them make the final.....

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:31 pm

On that we agree Craig

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:32 pm

Lol, I bet the Halle organisers are pleased.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:33 pm

Well Djokovic might imagine it is his destiny after saving so many match points in his earlier rounds. Djokovic knows what he has to do - outlast Nadal and get under his skin. It might take another six or seven hours but Djokovic will be prepared. Everyone has agreed that Djokovic hasn't hit top form yet at the French Open, yet he has made the final. What is to say that Djokovic won't hit top form for the final?

Last edited by Nore Staat on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:34 pm

It's interesting to note that Fed's number of errors (was it 60 in the end) is becoming the norm in these matches and Murray made the same number against Ferrer - it's as though both now have to force the pace on slow courts

This of course is OK for the French, but Wimbledon is just as bad these days and the only glimmer of hope they have (well Fed actually, as I think Murray is quite honestley injured right now - well enough to affect his chances) is that the chances of hot weather at the end of June, come true

Significantly, the only finals that these two have contested in the last couple of years have been at Dubai - arguably the fastest court around (other than Paris, which Fed also won last time out) and then the likes of Canada / Shanghai

We need variety. We need a fast paced slam to see what difference it will make

Sadly, unless there is a heatwave at NY this September, we won't have one

I think Murray has plenty of chances left and has no real Slam pedigree (relative to a Slam winner) but it is demorlalising watching a true cavalier like Fed just look second rate, largely due to the court speeds etc

Significant that both these two have produced the some of the best shots / strokes of the tournament, in terms of disguise and lovely touch play - please don't tell me we we're back to the dark days of the early 90's when blasting the ball was all we had

Last edited by banbrotam on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:34 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:But isnt Rafa playing Halle this year ????
About time Nadal stopped dodging Roger on a surface he likes.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:35 pm

Nore Staat wrote:Well Djokovic might imagine it is his destiny after saving so many match points in his earlier rounds. Djokovic knows what he has to do - outlast Nadal and get under his skin. It might take another six or seven hours but Djokovic will be prepared. Everyone has agreed that Djokovic hasn't hit top form yet at the French Open, yet he has made the final. What is to say that Djokovic won't hit top form for the final?
Spin doesn't hurt Djokovic on hardcourt like it does on clay. He hasn't got any chances. Realistically his odds should be 1000/1.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:35 pm

Then why did Roger never play Queens... did you ask yourself that one... ye who have all the answers !!!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:36 pm

luciusmann wrote:I agree kemet, 'trouncing' is way over the top. It was a strange match but closer than the scoreline suggests.

The only good news is probably that Fed will play Halle and move onto the surface he likes best!

Well Murray's final defeats have been similar in scoreline and been called names along similar lines.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:39 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Then why did Roger never play Queens... did you ask yourself that one... ye who have all the answers !!!!
Because of tax reasons.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:39 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
Nore Staat wrote:Well Djokovic might imagine it is his destiny after saving so many match points in his earlier rounds. Djokovic knows what he has to do - outlast Nadal and get under his skin. It might take another six or seven hours but Djokovic will be prepared. Everyone has agreed that Djokovic hasn't hit top form yet at the French Open, yet he has made the final. What is to say that Djokovic won't hit top form for the final?
Spin doesn't hurt Djokovic on hardcourt like it does on clay. He hasn't got any chances. Realistically his odds should be 1000/1.
Yet Djokovic beat Nadal on the green clay. Last year he beat Nadal on the clay too whereever they were. So his odds are better than what you suggest. Good heavens, there must be a better than 1000/1 chance that Nadal will get food poisoning or something.

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Very poor from Fed today, meanwhile Djoko was very solid. Sad

And can someone please tell this troll to stop spamming the boards. He has like 13 of the top 15 articles, changes his mind every 2 seconds and bumps his old thread with inappropriate images.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:Then why did Roger never play Queens... did you ask yourself that one... ye who have all the answers !!!!
Because of tax reasons.

Then who i avoiding who... ??? Rafa is playing Halle for the same reasons...Only he wont be a cert winner this year will he lol

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Incrediblexman Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:47 pm

I think Fed's run to the final in 2011 was his last hurrah on this surface. Even when he was playing well he was good enough to beat Nadal in the final. Note Federer's success this year has come mostly in the absence of Nadal and Djokovic. Personally I think Djokovic has his number now. He is too strong and too solid for Federer. I believe Federer will pick up the odd win off Nadal on the faster courts but this is a head to head he cannot catch up on now. His chances on winning another slam are very, very slim.

Incrediblexman

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:49 pm

I would be surprised if Nadal makes a real effort to win Halle. He hasn't really put in that much effort at Queens since winning in 2008 ( pulled out 2009, earlyish exits 2010 and 2011). I think he and Djokovic are really targeting the slams now even more than previously. So a little bit of competitive preactice on grass will be what he is looking for.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:53 pm

I dont think he will have to make much of an effort. But you obviously dont know Rafa if you dont know that he would not enter any tournament without believing he can win it. He is far too competitive ; its not the winning with Rafa its the competing that is all important.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by jersey Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:54 pm

Federer is finished.

jersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Calder106 wrote:I would be surprised if Nadal makes a real effort to win Halle. He hasn't really put in that much effort at Queens since winning in 2008 ( pulled out 2009, earlyish exits 2010 and 2011). I think he and Djokovic are really targeting the slams now even more than previously. So a little bit of competitive preactice on grass will be what he is looking for.
Indeed, and by the time Halle comes round who is to say he won't still be at Roland Garros fighting it out with Djokovic in a final set decider.

Last edited by Nore Staat on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:55 pm

WUM

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Sorry Calder my last post was not intended for you.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:02 pm

jersey wrote:Federer is finished.
Don't ever post on my articles again.

Fed could have won. He didn't take advantages of his leads. Also he should have come in more, poor tactics. Sad

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next