The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued

+86
goldwolf
poc.sco
seanmichaels
Hulking_up
STC
Pr4wn
rIck_dAgless
CaledonianCraig
kingraf
bhb001
Duty281
JDizzle
jimmyinthewell68
SirJohnnyEnglish
Hero
The Saint
Hoggy_Bear
Trebs
XR
Breadvan
robbo277
RinoGattuso
MIG
ShahenshahG
Sir. badgerhands
Enforcer
nadeem2099
Derbyblue
TRUSSMAN66
Shot 21 LCFC
Silver
bsando
azania
MtotheC
tomfinneywalksonwater
Mind the windows Tino.
McLaren
hornbloweroafc
Rowley
Cari
Steffan
TM Moot
two_tone
Thunder87
TheMackemMawler
bluestonevedder
Lumbering_Jack
LivinginItaly
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Y I Man
The Best in the World
Crimey
ChequeredJersey
Colan (niner)
Mr Bounce
Cyril
Mike Selig
Scott is Back
SharkSoul
Thomond
guildfordbat
djlovesyou
dummy_half
Blade
Knowsit17
Bull
westisbest
teassoc
Dr Gregory House MD
Il Gialloblu
Ent
kingjohn7
hampo17
Liam
Galted
Adam D
Morgannwg
superflyweight
compelling and rich
Nakatomi Plaza
Skydriver
Stella
Smirnoffpriest
mystiroakey
Mad for Chelsea
Kenny
90 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued  Empty The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued

Post by Kenny Sun 09 Dec 2012, 1:42 pm

I took the kids to the cinema yesterday to watch Rise of the Guardians , it's good but not great .......but the kids loved it so if your stuck for something to do then it's a good way to keep them entertained for a hour and half or so .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued  Empty Re: The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:13 pm

X-Men: First Class. Actually thought it was a very enjoyable film. There's the odd plot problem, and I'm sure they're continuity problems with the three original films, but I thought it was great fun to watch, and really enjoyed it.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued  Empty Re: The Last Film Watched Thread .................continued

Post by mystiroakey Mon 10 Dec 2012, 7:00 am

Good thread this- deserves the reload!!

watched the big year a couple of days ago..

It was kinda cute and different!!

worth the watch

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 10 Dec 2012, 1:17 pm

Kenny wrote:I took the kids to the cinema yesterday to watch Rise of the Guardians , it's good but not great .......but the kids loved it so if your stuck for something to do then it's a good way to keep them entertained for a hour and half or so .

Is that the 1st film or the sequel? The 1st was alright, as you say not great, but an interesting idea - haven't seen the sequel yet, not in a great rush to see it...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 10 Dec 2012, 4:19 pm

Me and the kids watched 'Finding Nemo' at the weekend. It's a bit old now but another Pixar classic and I was pleased he found his son (as if he wouldn't) Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 10 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm

No one watching Christmas films yet?

I watched Elf on C4 yesterday. Hadn't seen it before, but heard it was good. Don't think I knew previously that Jon Favreau had directed. Strange how they didn't use the strapline "From the director of Elf..." in the marketing of Iron Man 1/2 or Cowboys and Aliens. Quite enjoyed it anyway.

Will also admit to recently seeing Silver Linings Playbook in the cinema recently. Somewhat quirky, but good performances and quite touching. Not sure I realised this would be the case, but it is ultimately a rom-com in essence and structure, although unconventional (e.g. "meet-cute" moment involves bipolar "say what you think" type conversation and the two lead characters exchanging experiences of medication for mental illness).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 10 Dec 2012, 6:43 pm

yeah i saw elf an all.. awww..

the girl is kinda hot..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Mon 10 Dec 2012, 7:47 pm

Skydriver wrote:No one watching Christmas films yet?

I watched Elf on C4 yesterday. Hadn't seen it before, but heard it was good. Don't think I knew previously that Jon Favreau had directed. Strange how they didn't use the strapline "From the director of Elf..." in the marketing of Iron Man 1/2 or Cowboys and Aliens. Quite enjoyed it anyway.

Will also admit to recently seeing Silver Linings Playbook in the cinema recently. Somewhat quirky, but good performances and quite touching. Not sure I realised this would be the case, but it is ultimately a rom-com in essence and structure, although unconventional (e.g. "meet-cute" moment involves bipolar "say what you think" type conversation and the two lead characters exchanging experiences of medication for mental illness).

They're the last two films I watched as well!

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Dec 2012, 1:05 am

mystiroakey wrote:yeah i saw elf an all.. awww..

the girl is kinda hot..

Zooey Deschannel. I will marry that girl one day

I went to watch Argo the other night. Insanely good. Just gripping, haven't got that into a movie for a while

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 11 Dec 2012, 9:36 am

i recorded elf, great christmas movie considering all the classics are ones you got to enjoy as a kid. meaning very little modern movies have that nostalgic feel to them

last film i watched was dark knight rises

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 11 Dec 2012, 10:56 am

compelling and rich wrote:i recorded elf, great christmas movie considering all the classics are ones you got to enjoy as a kid. meaning very little modern movies have that nostalgic feel to them

last film i watched was dark knight rises

Two very good films.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 11 Dec 2012, 11:26 am

Zooey Zooey Zooey- Its all about the stare and the voice!!

Argo is a brilliant film I agree

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 11 Dec 2012, 12:41 pm

I watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High for the first time in years. Not as good as a I remember but still worth a watch - if only for the line "this guy's been stoned since the 3rd grade"

Argo is indeed a very good film and Affleck has continued his promising directorial career (Gone Baby Gone and The Town are both well worth watching).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 11 Dec 2012, 11:38 pm

Signs. Still a good'un.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Dec 2012, 12:41 am

Arthur Christmas

Just good fun. Probably something id be happy to watch again but probably in the build up to next Christmas

Elf - can watch this at any time of the year. Just a funny movie, the bit where he gets hit by the cab never fails to make me laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 12 Dec 2012, 10:37 am

gazzyD wrote:Arthur Christmas

Just good fun. Probably something id be happy to watch again but probably in the build up to next Christmas

Elf - can watch this at any time of the year. Just a funny movie, the bit where he gets hit by the cab never fails to make me laugh

Yes, never saw that coming. An excellent film.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 13 Dec 2012, 7:19 am

The perks of being a wall flower 9.5/10

Beautifull film, brilliantly acted as well. That gril from harry potter is gonna go far!

The kid(Logan Lerman) reminds me abit of Jake Glyenhaal

Ezra also is a great character

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Dec 2012, 9:03 am

I have watched quite a lot of films lately, just trying to remember what it was I watched.

I recently watched Contagion, Sucker Punch and Cosmopolis.

Contagion. Well it hits right off the bat. The first 5 minutes grabs your interest. Seeing Paltrow in a sensual way was very attractive. We could go back to Perfect Murder when the last time I could recall where she brought a sexual presence to the screen and I think she can be a delight. Enter Matt Damon. I think he played his character very well. The tortured widow with immunity to the virus. Having individual power and not being able to save others I thought was good writing. Winslet was solid. You could compare this with Outbreak. It is similar in some ways. Winslet is the Hoffman of this film you could say. It is a good film, but I think the ending was weak. Talk about tying up loose ends in the laziest manner. For me 7/10.

Sucker Punch. Now Zac Snyder. The Man of Steel. The successor to Nolan on the DC front. The man who brought us 300 and Watchmen. Well for an easy comparison think Sin City mashed with Scott Pilgrim v The World and Moulin Rouge. I enjoyed this film. A perception wrapped in a conception more or less. Not to be subjected to the realism of a mental institution. No it didn't follow One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Shutter Island or Girl Interupted. It was pure fantasy all the way. The girls, the sex appeal. Scott Glen is brilliant in this film. It follows a girl who is committed to a mental institute by her step father after the death of her younger sister. Baby Doll plots to escape before it is too late. If you want a film that bends the mind slightly and dazzles you with colorful choreography, then this is it. Wonderful viewing. 8/10

Finally Cosmopolis. Robert Pattinson moves away from the vampires and werewolves. I thought he was good in Water for Elephants. Right now he reminds me of Daniel Radcliffe. The threat of being typecast in a speficic role. Cosmopolis follows a hot shot city broker who begins to lose his empire in a day. So many small roles for Samantha Morton, Juliette Binoche and Paul Giamatti. It is quirky and so much of the film is emphasised by human nature and behaviour despite what is happening in the background. The character portrayed by Pattinson is confident, arrogant and highly sexed. It is a mature performance by Pattinson and I can only see him going from strength to strength. So much of the film is lost in dialogue. It is not one for action buffs. It reminds me of Falling Down and Michael Clayton. Individual conflicts of the films antagonists. For me a 8/10

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 13 Dec 2012, 10:02 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:

Sucker Punch. Now Zac Snyder. The Man of Steel. The successor to Nolan on the DC front. The man who brought us 300 and Watchmen. Well for an easy comparison think Sin City mashed with Scott Pilgrim v The World and Moulin Rouge. I enjoyed this film. A perception wrapped in a conception more or less. Not to be subjected to the realism of a mental institution. No it didn't follow One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Shutter Island or Girl Interupted. It was pure fantasy all the way. The girls, the sex appeal. Scott Glen is brilliant in this film. It follows a girl who is committed to a mental institute by her step father after the death of her younger sister. Baby Doll plots to escape before it is too late. If you want a film that bends the mind slightly and dazzles you with colorful choreography, then this is it. Wonderful viewing. 8/10

I think your comparisons are good as each of those three films are highly stylised. However, where it differs from these films is that the story is very repetitive. The opening 10 minutes were incredible (as they were with Snyders Dawn of the Dead remake) but then the film just went into computer game mode.

The music was great throughout and there were moments of brilliance but overall, I finished watching with a sense of disappointment (although the ending was very good).

All in all I thought excellent beginning and end which bookended a very repetitive computer game cut scenes.

No more than a 5 or 6 out of ten for me.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Dec 2012, 10:26 am

Adam D wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:

I think your comparisons are good as each of those three films are highly stylised. However, where it differs from these films is that the story is very repetitive. The opening 10 minutes were incredible (as they were with Snyders Dawn of the Dead remake) but then the film just went into computer game mode.

The music was great throughout and there were moments of brilliance but overall, I finished watching with a sense of disappointment (although the ending was very good).

All in all I thought excellent beginning and end which bookended a very repetitive computer game cut scenes.

No more than a 5 or 6 out of ten for me.

Yes it was reptitive, but least it remained consistent. I think sometimes films which try to achieve too much in a short space of time fail quite badly. It kept in line with the theme of the film. Yes you could say it was a computer game disected, I still think it was a good watch. It can relate to the imagination of many people who may feel bored and unstimulated in their everyday life. Maybe an 8 was a tad generous. I don't think the film was that poor. It didn't over-run from a time perspective.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu 13 Dec 2012, 10:55 am

Predators was on C4 over the weekend. Now managed to watch back in frantic effort at managing HDD box capacity before it becomes filled with hours of questionable programming choices over Christmas and New Year.

Not bad if you switch your brain off and take it as intended. A few good ideas (e.g. Predator v samurai [well, yakuza with a katana to be pedantic]), but not likely to be in contention for any critical or popular awards.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 13 Dec 2012, 7:03 pm

Watched Shooter last night. It was a good action movie. Wahlberg and Glover both acted their parts incredibly well. I think the ending lets this film down though, it was kinda weak and farfetched.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 13 Dec 2012, 7:09 pm

Shooter- An early blue ray release- The first one I saw. I remember drooling over my HD telly!!

Cant remember the film- but it was an enjoyable couple fo hours!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Dec 2012, 3:46 pm

Went to see the hobbit last night. Really enjoyed it

It was good seeing middle earth back on the cinema screen

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 14 Dec 2012, 3:52 pm

Going tommorow..

did you see it on the fast frame rate 3d version or not?

what did you think if you did?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Dec 2012, 4:29 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Watched Shooter last night. It was a good action movie. Wahlberg and Glover both acted their parts incredibly well. I think the ending lets this film down though, it was kinda weak and farfetched.
I saw Shooters on a plane to Canada a few years ago, I very nearly jumped off. One of the very worst films I've ever seen.

Last film I saw was Twilight Laugh

Before that it was Pink Panther 2 Doh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 14 Dec 2012, 4:29 pm

You have seen twilight- but you think Shooter is the worst film you saw!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 14 Dec 2012, 6:14 pm

gazzyD wrote:Went to see the hobbit last night. Really enjoyed it

It was good seeing middle earth back on the cinema screen

I think the Hobbit saga is going to make people fall out of love with The Lord Of The Rings. It's just how things tend to work. I don't think it looks that good BTW.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 14 Dec 2012, 6:49 pm

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - pretty unamazing, could've been a plot-by-numbers made-for-tv film. Not bad but don't think I could watch it again.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 14 Dec 2012, 9:27 pm

Yeah I was disappointed by Tinker Tailor considering the hype, the hype for the book/story it was based on and the amazing assemble of actors in it

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 14 Dec 2012, 9:32 pm

I really enjoyed tinker taylor. I was concentrating alot though.. I new going in it wasnt the sort of film you could watch without 100% concentrating on it!

The acting was brilliant. Good to see hardy in a different type of role. Gary oldman one of the greatest actors ever. He doesnt get enough screen time on most of his roles these days.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 14 Dec 2012, 11:05 pm

I liked Tinker Tailor: thought it was a very good film.

Recently, have been working my way through the original Bon films (the Connery ones). They look quite old now, but are really enjoyable still: got through Dr No, From Russia with Love, and Goldfinger.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 15 Dec 2012, 12:33 am

Vanilla Sky - 9/10 for me

Thoroughly enjoyed it, tbh most films with Tom Cruise I enjoy (Although knight and day was appalling). Actually fell in love with Penelope Cruz in the film also. She plays a fantastic part, is beautiful and that scene at the end where her and cruise say goodbye to each other was honestly a tear jerker (And i'm not the teary type either!!)

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 15 Dec 2012, 10:47 am

Watched The Expendables 2 on Monday, really enjoyable watch. Some of my all time favourite action stars in this film as well, and the one liners gave me a chuckle.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Dec 2012, 11:06 am

hampo171 wrote:Watched The Expendables 2 on Monday, really enjoyable watch. Some of my all time favourite action stars in this film as well, and the one liners gave me a chuckle.
Really looking forward to that, the first film was great.

And yes, I rank Shooter as far, far worse than any Twilight film. It was the worst film I've ever seen. Two hours of Mark Wahlberg pulling faces, with a really boring plot. Dreadful in my book, but judging by the box office takings plenty of people liked it!

Will be watching Thor for the first time tonight. Not expecting much, but as they recently filmed Thor 2 where I work, I'm overdue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Sat 15 Dec 2012, 6:45 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Going tommorow..

Something doesn't seem right at 48 frames per second but I can't quite put my finger on why. Certain segments looked sped up. It didn't seem to me like some of the fx shots quite worked in this format - but this is the sort of teething problem to be expected. And the one which I really don't understand, the lighting at times was just weird - bits of the film rather felt like those dramatic reconstructions inserted into a documentary.

On the other hand, I didn't experience that annoying flickering effect which I see with "standard" 3D films.

Good movie though, if unnecessarily drawn out. At the moment, I wouldn't rate it as highly as any of the LOTR instalments however.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 15 Dec 2012, 6:51 pm

Skydriver wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Going tommorow..

Something doesn't seem right at 48 frames per second but I can't quite put my finger on why. Certain segments looked sped up. It didn't seem to me like some of the fx shots quite worked in this format - but this is the sort of teething problem to be expected. And the one which I really don't understand, the lighting at times was just weird - bits of the film rather felt like those dramatic reconstructions inserted into a documentary.

On the other hand, I didn't experience that annoying flickering effect which I see with "standard" 3D films.

Good movie though, if unnecessarily drawn out. At the moment, I wouldn't rate it as highly as any of the LOTR instalments however.

I just got back from seeing it- TBH i thought it was the best quality i have ever seen(including imax, blue ray etc).

I did see a couple of bluriy speedy moments,so i get where you are coming from but overall was impressed.

I enjoyed the film as well

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sat 15 Dec 2012, 11:18 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
I just got back from seeing it- TBH i thought it was the best quality i have ever seen(including imax, blue ray etc).

I did see a couple of bluriy speedy moments,so i get where you are coming from but overall was impressed.

did u watch in 3d?

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 16 Dec 2012, 12:01 am

End of watch - really well filmed and good performances but overall lacked a story IMO.

Good fi though.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 16 Dec 2012, 7:17 am

kingjohn7 wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

did u watch in 3d?

3d 48 frames- by the way the best 3d i have seen

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Dec 2012, 12:04 am

Just got in from the cinema. Went to see seven psychopaths. Absolutely brilliant, I honestly can't Begin to explain without giving anything away but would recommend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Wed 19 Dec 2012, 2:45 pm

The Hobbit , i thought it was very good but i think i would of enjoyed it no matter what as i have been looking forward to it so much . It was blrry in parts but it didn't deter it for me
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Dec 2012, 11:22 am

Mission Impossible 4.....Poor. Although watching Renner kick some ass was quite enjoyable and I'm sure he would of done a great job on Bourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 23 Dec 2012, 4:12 pm

Recently watched the first four Rocky movies that are being shown in ITV2, or is it ITV3? Still all great. Haven't been to the cinema in ages though Sad.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 24 Dec 2012, 3:35 am

Watched The Iron Giant last night.

Really good animation, enjoyed it.

Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Wed 26 Dec 2012, 4:01 am

Took my pick of my Xmas DVD haul and just re-watched the Avengers, better than the first time I watched it, they took a film that had no right to be any good and made it fantastic, the quintessential film for all super hero films to be judged by IMO, 10/10

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 26 Dec 2012, 9:46 am

Frost/Nixon - thought the two leads were excellent but the film itself was a bit of a damp squib, big on buildup but faltered in the climax.

Inglourious Basterds - pretty funny, great casting & performances, entertainingly bizarre plot & brazen disregard for history

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Wed 26 Dec 2012, 10:32 pm

Jack Reacher as we couldn't get tickets for the Hobbit in regular 3D - sold out. Not bad but Cruise is a poor choice for JR. Robert Duval had the best part.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu 27 Dec 2012, 6:57 pm

Life of Pi.

Beautiful visuals, but not a story which strongly resonates with me. Not that surprised about the latter, as read the book 8 or so years ago and couldn't remember anything about it pretty much as soon as finished (other than there being a tiger called Richard Parker).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:09 am

Yeah I just got in from watching it. Stunning visuals in the movie but it was boring as anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next