The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France v Wales: Build-up and match thread

+77
Hood83
rodders
kingjohn7
Coleman
Poorfour
TJ1
LeinsterFan4life
sportform
Josiah Maiestas
Notch
Shifty
EnglishReign
Feckless Rogue
Hookisms and Hyperbole
profitius
Breadvan
asoreleftshoulder
bsando
HammerofThunor
Barney McGrew did it
mystiroakey
Cari
nathan
westisbest
Newsilure
t1000advancedprototype
RugbyFan182
gowershowerpower
doctor_grey
rainbow-warrior
Hound_of_Harrow
Taffineastbourne
XR
pete (buachaill on eirne)
sirBiggles
tatterd
SubsBench
Cyril
GavCanDance
Comfort
twoeightnine
Portnoy's Complaint
doctornickolas
lostinwales
RubyGuby
thebluesmancometh
manofgwent
glamorganalun
Morgannwg
gboycottnut
wales606
ChequeredJersey
LondonTiger
Casartelli
Knowsit17
Liam
Norfolklass
AlastairW
GunsGerms
nobbled
BlueNote
Glas a du
whocares
yappysnap
Taylorman
fa0019
Jimpy
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Luckless Pedestrian
George Carlin
Biltong
maestegmafia
majesticimperialman
bedfordwelsh
mogg
Duty281
Ospreydragon
81 posters

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down

France v Wales: Build-up and match thread - Page 5 Empty France v Wales: Build-up and match thread

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 03 Feb 2013, 5:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

A very interesting opening weekend in the 6N. Good wins for Ireland and England, and a great one for Italy, who showed some nice touches and are devloping their play (unlike Wales).

Here's a typically hyperbolic journalist (or sub-editor's headline) in today's Express:

"Rob Howley Planning to Dump Failures"

http://www.sundayexpress.co.uk/posts/view/375256/Rob-Howley-planning-to-dump-failures

Nothing in the article to state who is going to be dumped, and no surprise there.

Will Howley have the cojones to drop some players? Jenkins, Shingler, and one of the centres? We'll see!

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

France v Wales: Build-up and match thread - Page 5 Empty Re: France v Wales: Build-up and match thread

Post by glamorganalun Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:36 pm

How can R Jones be on the bench last night and then be captain the next morning. I agree he should be captain but should have been starting in the first place not on the bench. We saw last week Warburton should not be captain when you see JD2 telling him to speak to the ref and not taking penalties at key times. Is Warburton really injured or is it he can't stand the pressure of his selection?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

France v Wales: Build-up and match thread - Page 5 Empty Re: France v Wales: Build-up and match thread

Post by tatterd Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:37 pm

FFS Lou Reed on the bench??? Triple faceplam!

What happened to King?

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:45 pm

tatterd wrote:FFS Lou Reed on the bench??? Triple faceplam!

What happened to King?

Can't have too many Ospreys players I suspect, Reed move to Cardiff to increase his chances of playing for Wales and it is working.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:49 pm

glamorganalun wrote:How can R Jones be on the bench last night and then be captain the next morning. I agree he should be captain but should have been starting in the first place not on the bench. We saw last week Warburton should not be captain when you see JD2 telling him to speak to the ref and not taking penalties at key times. Is Warburton really injured or is it he can't stand the pressure of his selection?

Have you looked at the selection... Ryan is STARTING... I dont understand what you are trying to say... Doh

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:55 pm

Where is the "King Kohn" combo on the bench? Do these people have no empathy for headline writers? picard

Mind you, if they can't milk Lou Reed's inclusion. Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:56 pm

sirBiggles wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:How can R Jones be on the bench last night and then be captain the next morning. I agree he should be captain but should have been starting in the first place not on the bench. We saw last week Warburton should not be captain when you see JD2 telling him to speak to the ref and not taking penalties at key times. Is Warburton really injured or is it he can't stand the pressure of his selection?

Have you looked at the selection... Ryan is STARTING... I dont understand what you are trying to say... Doh

Read again, he is playing but last night he was not, he was on the bench! The team was leaked to the WM/wales on line.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Feb 2013, 2:07 pm

I feel sorry for Sam, but that injury has done him a massive favour. He had to be dropped, as did Gethin Jenkins.

With regards to the bench, I'd have preferred Lee Byrne on there instead of either Williams.

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 07 Feb 2013, 2:10 pm

Howley is definately taking a walk on the wild side here. Can't understand it when he had King Kohn in the palm of his hands. Pure Hollywood, you couldn't even write this stuff ffs - Maybe Glas could after a few drops of the claret but this is just pure Psycho! Shocked

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Thu 07 Feb 2013, 2:10 pm

glamorganalun wrote:

The team was leaked to the WM/wales on line.

Do you think the WM may have .... mmmmm.... made it up Whistle

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Feb 2013, 2:11 pm

Well I tell a lie, I wanted Byrne to start, but as I knew Howley would not drop North or Cuffbutt, I wanted hime on the bench at least.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 07 Feb 2013, 2:26 pm

COME ON TIPURIC!

MAKE THAT LIONS 7 YOURS!

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 07 Feb 2013, 2:29 pm

I do love the six nations, all the part time rugby fans come crawling out the cracks and go mental on the walesonline pages. Some of them are already calling for Howley to be sacked...he's been solely in charge of 4 games so far, the australia summer test and the ireland game.

My favourite one is

"Quicker we get the 6N over and get rid of this pathetic coaching roup the better. I cant be bothered to waste any more words."

You mean the coaching group which has won 2 grand slams and had all the part time fans in the millstad for the semi final? Yeah, get rid of them, what have they ever done?

Silly part timers

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 07 Feb 2013, 2:55 pm

watch it gc, not only are you talking about a lot of us any mention to part time fans will get you in a lot of trouble round here!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:04 pm

What a great team selection, Howley has clearly learnt his lessons, and has only gone for form and fully fit players... oh wait there Jenkins is still in, but at least he's facing a real no mark TH in... oh!

And Ryan Jones starts, despite not being able to play a few days ago at all he is good to go from the start sat, well Warbs is injured.

And what exactly is the point in having Reed and Shinglar sat on the bench, both are lightweight, and Coombs can cover 6 (probably better than lock against those monsters) Talk about strong arming Jones in and covering him with plenty of bench options!!!

I am amazed mermoz has stayed in and Fritz dumped after last week, anyone wanna bet Basteraud will only want to attack from one side, and will try to get on JD2's outside shoulder?

I expect very little posession and even less ability to play, too much muscle up front from France!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:10 pm

I think Jenkin is in their for his leadership as the pack especially lacks it.

Take out Ryan Jones and its got nothing holding it together. You need some veterans when playing FR in Paris.

If Warburton was fit I would have brought in James though and dropped Gethin.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:12 pm

James is an excellent leader, what's your point?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:14 pm

Full time haters only on here please.

You dont think picking a big blubbery lump with no guile will play into Wales hands a bit? Their big defenders can cope with the inglorious bastreaud, and he wont do much to release the flashier back 3 who are more likely to be able to run rings around the lumbering welsh wide players.

The real issue though will be possession. Without it Wales will look like Ireland for the last 38, except without the tackle rate. But then if Frances pack is as tame as last week they have a chance there.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:16 pm

We have no chance.

Is Kohn injured? Or has he just been ditched now?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:16 pm

My point is that whilst I believe he's not the best loosehead in Wales, Gethin is a leader and has big game experience.... with guys like AW Jones, Lydiate & Warburton out in the pack.... you need leaders as its going to be tough out there.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:16 pm

Jones, James, Evans are all experienced and know exactly what it takes to win in France, Hibbard is a great motivator too.

I can see an argument for Jones but for me anything he brings will be negated by his lack of fitness (in exactly the same way Jenkins has)

Jones IMHO is going to go one of 2 ways, the Jenkins route where his performance is particularly average, or the Evans route where he stands out but only for a small amount of time, either way we've lost options off the bench to incorporate him!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:18 pm

Much better starting 15.

Subs bench a strange shotgun wedding of players though.

Unfortunately, Fat Bastreaud has actually been playing well at club level and will be trying to squish Biggar between thumb and forefinger.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:25 pm

We just needed a more solid platform and I just dont understand why we ahven't gone with

James
Hinnard
Adam
Kohn
Evans
6 Coombs
Toby
Tips

Power and some guile and if we lost I wouldn't be blaming Howley - No platform = No chance - this isn't 2005 Rob thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

Better starting team, could be better but James is on the bench and can play both sides. Better back row, Tipuric is better than Warburton and R Jones much better and stronger than Shingler and also a better captain (he talks to the ref ). I think Coombes may struggle in this game as France have a powerful pack, has he recovered from last week as he is a flanker playing out of position at international level?

I don't think Wales will win but I am more confident we will perform much better against a better team, France by 10.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:38 pm

RubyGuby wrote:We just needed a more solid platform and I just dont understand why we ahven't gone with

James
Hinnard
Adam
Kohn
Evans
6 Coombs
Toby
Tips

Power and some guile and if we lost I wouldn't be blaming Howley - No platform = No chance - this isn't 2005 Rob thumbsup

Swap Ryan for Coombs, on the basis that he is a much better player, and I think that would be the best possible pack from the choices available.

I'd have gone for broke and played Byrne and Hook too, as they are the best players in their positions. This playing to a system lark is all well and good when we have all our first choicers available, but when it's backs to the wall time we should try and offer something in attack, rather than just roll over and attempt some damage limitation.

France by 15-20, but could well be worse.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:41 pm

Warburton's out is he? Bitter news.....for the French.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:47 pm

Casartelli wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:We just needed a more solid platform and I just dont understand why we ahven't gone with

James
Hinnard
Adam
Kohn
Evans
6 Coombs
Toby
Tips

Swap Ryan for Coombs, on the basis that he is a much better player, and I think that would be the best possible pack from the choices available.

I'd have gone for broke and played Byrne and Hook too, as they are the best players in their positions. This playing to a system lark is all well and good when we have all our first choicers available, but when it's backs to the wall time we should try and offer something in attack, rather than just roll over and attempt some damage limitation.

France by 15-20, but could well be worse.

Agree with your team selection but I am happier with this team than last week's starting team. Howley is lucky with Warburton being injured (if he is). Strange nobody stated Warburton' was injured from last week only Ryan, Hibbard and Kohn were risks up to today!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:48 pm

Probably my crassest post(and there have been a few!)but this game will be pivotal for both sides.Whoever loses will go into free fall and have one hand on the wooden spoon.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:52 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:Probably my crassest post(and there have been a few!)but this game will be pivotal for both sides.Whoever loses will go into free fall and have one hand on the wooden spoon.

+1

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:53 pm

can't see FR ever winning the wooden spoon.

When was the last time they did that??

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:57 pm

fa0019 wrote:can't see FR ever winning the wooden spoon.

Wales on the other hand...2003

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:59 pm

They weren't many people's favourites to lose to Italy either.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Thu 07 Feb 2013, 4:28 pm

"I am a bit confused about the selection policy,” he said.

“They are picking people who are not playing for their clubs and haven’t got match fitness.

“The selection hasn’t been right in my book.

“I think they’ve got to play James Hook at fly-half.

“Dan Biggar didn’t do himself any favours against Ireland.

“I know Hook is erratic, but he can be a game breaker, and I would definitely go for him.”

Source:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2013/02/07/paris-hero-dafydd-james-fears-wales-will-fail-in-their-france-clash-91466-32760201/#ixzz2KEPLkQGG

We aren't the only ones commenting on selection. Now, ex-players are too.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 07 Feb 2013, 4:44 pm

Is Warburton really injured? Or is it better to say that he as a injury than to say he as been dropped?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Thu 07 Feb 2013, 4:47 pm

"The rugby intellect of the support to the coach has to be the best it can be. I question whether it is with this coaching team. The power of Warren Gatland’s coaching leadership has masked a weak underbelly."

Source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/9854035/Six-Nations-2013-Wales-need-to-improve-at-every-level-of-the-game-say-former-players-and-coaches.html

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 07 Feb 2013, 5:35 pm

I have just noticed that there is no Lee Bynre in the team.

What has hapend to Olly Kohn? Did Wales only want him the first game of the tournament?

Gethin Jenkins? What as he done to secure him a place in the team this week end?.

What happen to listening to the France based players?

Leigh Halfpenny wants Wales to play like 6ns champions this week end.

Will this team that Howely as picked beable to play like 6ns champions?

I guess it will be wait and see.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 07 Feb 2013, 5:36 pm

Kohn is injured
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 07 Feb 2013, 5:48 pm

Its a bit of ' you can please some people some of the time but not all the people all the time' type of selection.

Most wanted Hibbard Jones and Tipuric - we have them, but I bet Howley is secretly glad Warburtons injured that way he gets away from the furore of not dropping him.

Most wanted Jenkins and one of the centres (Roberts for me) dropped but we haven't got that.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 07 Feb 2013, 5:52 pm

[quote="majesticimperialman"]

What has hapend to Olly Kohn? Did Wales only want him the first game of the tournament?

He was named originally at lunchtime on the bench but not shaked off the inury but Reed FFS I would have had King in there.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 07 Feb 2013, 7:02 pm

bedford

Why King or Reed? Shinglar can cover both lock and 6 (not very well mind) I'd have gone for another back in Liam Williams!!!

Shinglar and Reed are drafted in to cover Jones, the addition of Jones in the team has negated any exciting bench options.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 07 Feb 2013, 7:27 pm

Has the Kohn 'injury' been officially announced?

Or is it pubtalk?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 07 Feb 2013, 7:30 pm

I would doubt Warbs is injured aswell. That's probably just to shut the media up. Poor Kohn, I was hoping to see that big lump in the starting line-up. So we won't outmuscle the French, but could do them for stamina? The replacement front row are mobile and decent scrummagers. Reed has been the most unfit, but if coming off the bench then he could make an impact. In his past couple tests for Wales he's been absolutely everywhere.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 07 Feb 2013, 7:34 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:bedford

Why King or Reed? Shinglar can cover both lock and 6 (not very well mind) I'd have gone for another back in Liam Williams!!!

Shinglar and Reed are drafted in to cover Jones, the addition of Jones in the team has negated any exciting bench options.

Blues,

I guess your right but you very rarely see an even split on the bench or a split favouring the backs. With a 23 man squad you have (or so I believe) have a full front row on the bench so there is generally always two other forwards as well.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Fri 08 Feb 2013, 12:55 am

Well, good luck Wales. Probably the best 7 at club level in the NH has been selected. Plus point for you guys. It wil take more than Tipuric though.

What Wales have been missing imo, is a sense of 'collective'. It has almost been like the players stopped doing what it took to win a GS. Too many players resting on their laurels and seemingly unwilling to really take responsibility and take the fight to the opposition; especially when you concede points.

You left it far too late against Ireland, having conceded 30 points, you still needed Ireland to sit back and think 'job done' before you got into them.

Collective responsibility from both players and coaching staff appears to be lacking at the moment. The skill level is there if you get the mentality right.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 08 Feb 2013, 7:15 am

Jimpy wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Don't make assumptions about how Michalak will play, GG

I was going to say that, but you beat me to it. It is clutching at straws a bit to suggest that Welsh players who were largely anonymous against Ireland will have a field day against Michelak, who can be genius.

France are at home and hurting from their last result, I epect Wales will hardly touch the ball.

and one day you will awaken and realise what rubbish you scrawlon your keyboard Wales rose rose
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Feb 2013, 7:28 am

Since 2001, we have only beaten France in grand slam years Rolling Eyes
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 08 Feb 2013, 7:55 am

whocares wrote:

That's an incredible statistic. And we say France are inconsistent!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri 08 Feb 2013, 7:56 am

Wales have a lot of class players. I don't understand how they can go from GS winners to no-hopers in such a short time. They have the personnel and if they can tap into their potential for more than half a game - well I reckon they can upset the French.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 08 Feb 2013, 8:11 am

Here's an interesting fact: France are now winless in their last four Six Nations matches - their poorest Five/Six Nations run since 1974-75.

Hmm, now didn't we beat France in Paris in 1975?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 08 Feb 2013, 8:16 am

Not really sure I agree. Wouldn't call Wales no-hopers. Certainly they are on a poor streak. And their last two scores against Ireland was when Ireland was down to 14 players. But Wales have lost only one match in the 6 Nations. A win and all to play for. France supporters can't be feeling too optimistic after the loss to Italy.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 08 Feb 2013, 8:23 am

I agree, Ireland should have been down to 14 players in the first half and 13 in the second.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next